PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Outrighted

cinreds21
09-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Wow. This is certainly a shocker.

lollipopcurve
09-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Seems to open another spot on the 40-man. Phipps?

cinreds21
09-01-2011, 10:16 AM
I would hope it's for him. He's really the only person I see being added who's not on the 40.

Bumstead
09-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Thank you Walt!

RANDY IN INDY
09-01-2011, 10:18 AM
I don't really understand this one, at this point in the season.

Edd Roush
09-01-2011, 10:20 AM

Clear a spot on the 40-man for someone who could actually help the Reds next year.

That being said, I think Fred Lewis was not the problem with the Reds this year. I wish him the best and he did pretty well this year doing what I thought he would (getting on base vs. righties). .342 vs righty pitching.

membengal
09-01-2011, 10:21 AM

A puzzle for certain. I find myself cross-referencing the dusty and walt are not on the same page thread for a possible explanation.

oneupper
09-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Louisville needs someone to play the field for a few games. Hermida's gone. Who can they put out there?

Always Red
09-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Yes, puzzling. Seems as if they would have done this one back in July.

One way to play Alonso more is to take players away from Dusty, and my hunch is that Jocketty just did that.

I look for one of either Jocketty or Dusty to not be back next year.

membengal
09-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Louisville needs someone to play the field for a few games. Hermida's gone. Who can they put out there?

Several of the AA kids could have covered it for a few days.

cinreds21
09-01-2011, 10:23 AM

That and they are getting some guys from other levels.

And for what it's worth, I was never a big fan of Lewis.

Bumstead
09-01-2011, 10:24 AM
A puzzle for certain. I find myself cross-referencing the dusty and walt are not on the same page thread for a possible explanation.

+1 Similar to the Gomes trade. IMHO I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds added nobody to the 40-man in September to take Lewis' "spot."

Bum

traderumor
09-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Maybe its as simple as Lewis did nothing to impress and they needed a space. What is that, Occam's Razor?

Dan
09-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Taking away one of Dusty's toys, perhaps?

westofyou
09-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Maybe its as simple as Lewis did nothing to impress and they needed a space. What is that, Occam's Razor?

Yep, they likely told him he'd be riding the pine for the rest of the month, knowing the current Red brass they also likely gave him the option to hang around and slap some young guys backs or go home.

Perhaps he chose to go home or try catch on with another organization for the duration. That wouldn't surprise me.

westofyou
09-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Taking away one of Dusty's toys, perhaps?

You actually believe Dusty just found this out like we did?

I'm fairly certain he had some input.

oneupper
09-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Several of the AA kids could have covered it for a few days.

Is the AA season over? So they stagger these things so players can cascade up?

Bumstead
09-01-2011, 10:39 AM
You actually believe Dusty just found this out like we did?

I'm fairly certain he had some input.

Really? Like the input he had in the Gomes trade?

cinreds21
09-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Is the AA season over? So they stagger these things so players can cascade up?

Double and Triple-A seasons end on Monday. Moves have been made though to take the places of guys who were called up to the big leagues.

redsmetz
09-01-2011, 10:41 AM
According to Fay's blog today, the Lewis move was to make room for Mesoraco and that Lewis is going to Louisville. Is this thread with later info? The blog is from 9:53 a.m.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/09/01/fred-lewis-sent-to-louisville/

cinreds21
09-01-2011, 10:44 AM
According to Fay's blog today, the Lewis move was to make room for Mesoraco and that Lewis is going to Louisville. Is this thread with later info? The blog is from 9:53 a.m.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/09/01/fred-lewis-sent-to-louisville/

They didn't "need" to make room for Mes because of Hermida. Don't trust Fay, ever.

And from what I've read, Lewis will go to Triple-A.

westofyou
09-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Really? Like the input he had in the Gomes trade?
Could be just like that could be the opposite, we really don't know. But rest assured the GM doesn't usually operate on the roster without consulting the manager, it behooves him to... they aren't in this alone.

If that is happening with any regularity then not much talent in the system can rise above that sort of dysfunctional relationship, and the onus falls on Walt, not Dusty.

Bumstead
09-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Could be just like that could be the opposite, we really don't know. But rest assured the GM doesn't usually operate on the roster without consulting the manager, it behooves him to... they aren't in this alone.

If that is happening with any regularity then not much talent in the system can rise above that sort of dysfunctional relationship, and the onus falls on Walt, not Dusty.

Yeah, Dusty is clearly above reproach for the way he has managed this team...:eek:

lollipopcurve
09-01-2011, 10:48 AM

Hard to say. Baker has power as a very well-paid Castellini hire on a multiyear deal. If Dusty feels like he has the backing of ownership, he may just manage how he wants to, without much consideration for longer-term goals.

westofyou
09-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Yeah, Dusty is clearly above reproach for the way he has managed this team...:eek:

Did I say he wasn't?

I thought we were discussing Walt and Dusty and their roster relationship.

Not Dusty's managerial chops.

westofyou
09-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Hard to say. Baker has power as a very well-paid Castellini hire on a multiyear deal. If Dusty feels like he has the backing of ownership, he may just manage how he wants to, without much consideration for longer-term goals.

If the owner doesn't foster a relationship that creates a one goal path among his executives then we are all screwed

cumberlandreds
09-01-2011, 10:53 AM
This move is surprising at this time of year. They have to be moving Phipps to the 40 man to bring up next week after Louisville's season. Or maybe Boxberger? Is he on the 40 man roster?
Lewis was an OK player and not the reason the Reds poor play this season. In a better situation he would be a good 4/5 outfielder to have on the team. I'm sure he will land somewhere else by next season.

Bumstead
09-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Did I say he wasn't?

I thought we were discussing Walt and Dusty and their roster relationship.

Not Dusty's managerial chops.

We can discuss whatever you are more comfortable with...I'm not sure they have much of a relationship. I think Dusty is relying on Bob to stand between them. We'll see.

redsmetz
09-01-2011, 10:55 AM
They didn't "need" to make room for Mes because of Hermida. Don't trust Fay, ever.

And from what I've read, Lewis will go to Triple-A.

Yes, you're right. I knew in the back of my mind that another move had been made to make room for Mez, but didn't take the time to look it up. My larger point was to address some of the comments about Louisville playing short in their final days when the reporting is that Lewis has agreed to go down.

lollipopcurve
09-01-2011, 10:56 AM
If the owner doesn't foster a relationship that creates a one goal path among his executives then we are all screwed

Agreed on that.

cinreds21
09-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Yes, you're right. I knew in the back of my mind that another move had been made to make room for Mez, but didn't take the time to look it up. My larger point was to address some of the comments about Louisville playing short in their final days when the reporting is that Lewis has agreed to go down.

They're not gonna play short. They'll have 24 guys. Some players from Double-A are on their way/already there to fill the roster.

cinreds21
09-01-2011, 10:58 AM
This move is surprising at this time of year. They have to be moving Phipps to the 40 man to bring up next week after Louisville's season. Or maybe Boxberger? Is he on the 40 man roster?
Lewis was an OK player and not the reason the Reds poor play this season. In a better situation he would be a good 4/5 outfielder to have on the team. I'm sure he will land somewhere else by next season.

Box is not. Here's what I think. Box, yes, had a good year, but I don't think is fully ready. He's not eligible for the Rule V draft this year so he doesn't have to be added. He'll get an invite to Spring Training, so he'll compete for a spot then. If he makes the team, they just add him on the 40 then. No need to put him on now and potentially waste an option year if he doesn't make the team next year.

westofyou
09-01-2011, 10:59 AM
We can discuss whatever you are more comfortable with...I'm not sure they have much of a relationship. I think Dusty is relying on Bob to stand between them. We'll see.

Well something's got to break.

One thing to note is that Dusty is the guy we hear more from, he generates more quotes in a series than Walt does all year. It creates a false reality, we don't know what the organization thinks because we really only hear it through the sound bite engine of the MLB manager and the small group of the press with him daily.

IMO the upper brass needs to be less close to the vest and more forthcoming about the future, other than the PR driven "young player" mantra coupled with "smart baseball" + "teacher vet"

RedLegsToday
09-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Apparently, I missed this, but, what happened to Hermida?

lollipopcurve
09-01-2011, 11:00 AM
I think Dusty is relying on Bob to stand between them. We'll see.

In my opinion, we've heard less from Jocketty than in years past, and much less from Castellini. Hard to read anything too specific into that. But my guess is that all is not well -- either with Jocketty's status or Dusty's.

Fact is, Baker is not Jocketty's hire. And GMs usually want their own guy in the skipper's chair.

cinreds21
09-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Apparently, I missed this, but, what happened to Hermida?

Claimed yesterday off waivers by the Padres.

lollipopcurve
09-01-2011, 11:02 AM
IMO the upper brass needs to be less close to the vest and more forthcoming about the future, other than the PR driven "young player" mantra coupled with "smart baseball" + "teacher vet"

I have a feeling the dam will give way this offseason.

RedLegsToday
09-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Claimed yesterday off waivers by the Padres.

Thanks! Hopefully, the Padres give him a chance. He can't be any worse than what they have.

Bumstead
09-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Well something's got to break.

One thing to note is that Dusty is the guy we hear more from, he generates more quotes in a series than Walt does all year. It creates a false reality, we don't know what the organization thinks because we really only hear it through the sound bite engine of the MLB manager and the small group of the press with him daily.

I don't disagree with this. It's no secret I'm not a fan of Dusty's, but the tone has to be set from the top and it just seems like Walt and Dusty are working in contradiction to each other much of the time.

Sea Ray
09-01-2011, 11:07 AM
So if they cut Hermida and Lewis and they add Mes, doesn't that still leave one open spot?

cinreds21
09-01-2011, 11:09 AM
So if they cut Hermida and Lewis and they add Mes, doesn't that still leave one open spot?

Correct.

Brutus
09-01-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm guessing Lewis will refuse the assignment and become a free agent. I could be wrong, but I imagine there's still some interest for him somewhere out there.

RedsManRick
09-01-2011, 11:24 AM
I'd agree with the "Walt taking away Dusty's options" concept here. I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be an interesting off-season in the front office.

Tom Servo
09-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Goodbye, Freddie.

cumberlandreds
09-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Box is not. Here's what I think. Box, yes, had a good year, but I don't think is fully ready. He's not eligible for the Rule V draft this year so he doesn't have to be added. He'll get an invite to Spring Training, so he'll compete for a spot then. If he makes the team, they just add him on the 40 then. No need to put him on now and potentially waste an option year if he doesn't make the team next year.

Thanks. That makes sense for Box. I didn't know if he was ready or not. I suspected not.

09-01-2011, 12:03 PM
I don't buy this whole Baker/Walt fight theory as the reason for Lewis going down.

The article that proposed the whole idea that they are fighting said it started with Walt wanting Baker to play Lewis more. Now we are to believe that Lewis was sent to AAA because Walt wanted Baker to play Lewis less, and this was the only way to do it?

It just doesn't add up in mind.

Always Red
09-01-2011, 12:12 PM
I don't buy this whole Baker/Walt fight theory as the reason for Lewis going down.

The article that proposed the whole idea that they are fighting said it started with Walt wanting Baker to play Lewis more. Now we are to believe that Lewis was sent to AAA because Walt wanted Baker to play Lewis less, and this was the only way to do it?

Walt signs Lewis before ST, and says he's a great platoon partner for Gomes, and gives them someone who can lead off. Dusty says the job is Gomes, and plays Jonny until Jonny forces the issue by spending the first half of the season under the Mendoza line.

Walt trades Gomes to the Nationals and says, among other things, that it's time for Alonso to play in LF. Alonso plays 3 times in LF, prior to today.

Fred Lewis is sent to Louisville, outrighted, even though the Reds do not need his spot on the 40 man. Alonso starts in LF today.

Now, maybe there's nothing there. I also prefer stability in the FO and with the manager. But 2 national publications have also talked about possible turmoil in the front office, not just us dweebs here on Redszone.

Sometimes, when there is smoke, there's also fire.

Guacarock
09-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Walt signs Lewis before ST, and says he's a great platoon partner for Gomes, and gives them someone who can lead off. Dusty says the job is Gomes, and plays Jonny until Jonny forces the issue by spending the first half of the season under the Mendoza line.

Walt trades Gomes to the Nationals and says, among other things, that it's time for Alonso to play in LF. Alonso plays 3 times in LF, prior to today.

Fred Lewis is sent to Louisville, outrighted, even though the Reds do not need his spot on the 40 man. Alonso starts in LF today.

Now, maybe there's nothing there. I also prefer stability in the FO and with the manager. But 2 national publications have also talked about possible turmoil in the front office, not just us dweebs here on Redszone.

Sometimes, when there is smoke, there's also fire.

Anything's possible, but Lewis' stats for August leave little doubt why he might be outrighted: .095/.191/.095/.287 in 42 at bats. In other words, he not only was hitting below the Mendoza line, but couldn't even crack half the Mendoza line, and also didn't manage a single XBH for the month. Combine that with losing his speed (only 2 SB for the entire year vs. 17 last season) and slippage on defense, and I can't say it's all that surprising he's been cut.

OldXOhio
09-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Yep, they likely told him he'd be riding the pine for the rest of the month, knowing the current Red brass they also likely gave him the option to hang around and slap some young guys backs or go home.

Perhaps he chose to go home or try catch on with another organization for the duration. That wouldn't surprise me.

I don't have a problem as much with his release as with his being brought aboard in the first place. He pretty much gave you what you expected of him going in and then some. Hitting .348 against RHP ought to merit more than 1-2 starts a week. If Dusty chose to handle him this way, in light of expected production, I don't get signing the guy.

Always Red
09-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Anything's possible, but Lewis' stats for August leave little doubt why he might be outrighted: .095/.191/.095/.287 in 42 at bats. In other words, he not only was hitting below the Mendoza line, but couldn't even crack half the Mendoza line, and also didn't manage a single XBH for the month. Combine that with losing his speed (only 2 SB for the entire year vs. 17 last season) and slippage on defense, and I can't say it's all that surprising he's been cut.

I certainly agree with all you wrote, and I would have cut Lewis out back in July. He has played more of late because Heisey has been hurt.

My point was a reply to the other poster; he/she felt it didn't add up in their mind that there might be people pulling in different directions in the FO. I posted the timeline, and feel like what gets said by the FO and what product gets put onto the field are sometimes not the same.

WVRedsFan
09-01-2011, 06:24 PM
The Reds are just snakebit this year. This was one of those moves that used to turn into gold for Jocketty, but not this time. Janish was ready to bust out. Renteria was OCab 2. Rolen would bolster third and quietly lead the team. Gomes was going to rake. Our young pitchers were going to be the best staff in the NL behind Philly. Volquez would be the ace. "We're satisfied with what we have." It goes on and on.

mth123
09-01-2011, 07:59 PM
This is simply moving dead wood out of the way. Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey, Alonso, Sappelt and Frazier all looking for PT and its in the organization's best interest to play them. Maybe Denis Phipps joins them next week, maybe not. Either way, there simply isn't room for Fred Lewis now or next season. They put him on waivers hoping some one would take him to the mutual benefit of both the Reds and Lewis. Nobody bit, so they offered him a chance to play a few more days in hopes that some team may have a need due to injury or something.

For me the logic of it isn't surprising at all. The only surprise to me is that the dullards in the Reds organization actually reached the right conclusion.

HokieRed
09-01-2011, 08:08 PM
I don't see how you can read this as anything other than Walt's sending a clear signal to Dusty. Walt made clear that Gomes was traded in order to make opportunity for Alonso; instead Dusty shifted his attention over to Lewis and has not played Alonso. Walt's now allowing the day to day lineup decisions to be made by the field manager, just as always, but he's also making clear that if those decisions are not in line with the directions the organization wants to go, he'll force compliance. I don't see how they can both live with this decision.

mth123
09-01-2011, 08:18 PM
I don't see how you can read this as anything other than Walt's sending a clear signal to Dusty. Walt made clear that Gomes was traded in order to make opportunity for Alonso; instead Dusty shifted his attention over to Lewis and has not played Alonso. Walt's now allowing the day to day lineup decisions to be made by the field manager, just as always, but he's also making clear that if those decisions are not in line with the directions the organization wants to go, he'll force compliance. I don't see how they can both live with this decision.

I'm not sure its so clear. Dusty has a contract for 2012 not Walt. It would seem to be more in Dusty's interest to start playing for next year than anyone's. I don't think that this has to be so sinister. Its simply an organization doing the most logical thing with its team.

I also agree with Dusty that Alonso has no future in LF but I'd play him there a lot to get his bat in there. The Reds need a pitcher. Alonso is the most likely guy who could headline a deal for a good one.

Its not just Alonso who needs the PT. Heisey, Frazier and Sappelt all are probably in this team's OF plans more than Alonso IMO. No mesage necessary outside of the fact that Lewis was dead wood and needed cleared away.

Kc61
09-01-2011, 09:50 PM
It is September first, time to play the kids. No need for Lewis anymore.

Not sure Dusty is happy about it, but this is what Walt wants, so it is done.

kaldaniels
09-01-2011, 10:19 PM
So....our starting LF in AAA is claimed off waivers. Yet our starting LF in MLB is not.

That speaks volumes.

WVRedsFan
09-02-2011, 12:26 AM
So....our starting LF in AAA is claimed off waivers. Yet our starting LF in MLB is not.

That speaks volumes.Wow. It's always amazed me that over the last several years, that no one wants our players. Forever, we place guys on waivers and they clear. I cannot believe Hernandez wasn't coveted by someone. The rejection of Lewis is proof positive that an error was committed giving him a $900K contract.

cinreds21
09-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Wow. It's always amazed me that over the last several years, that no one wants our players. Forever, we place guys on waivers and they clear. I cannot believe Hernandez wasn't coveted by someone. The rejection of Lewis is proof positive that an error was committed giving him a $900K contract.

He was claimed off waivers but the Reds pulled him back.

WVRedsFan
09-02-2011, 01:25 AM
He was claimed off waivers but the Reds pulled him back.Interesing I had not heard that, living here in the bowels of Appalachia and being sick and not getting here often enough. Wonder who claimed him and wonder if a trade was even tried at that point?

Sorry I wasn't paying attention.

reds44
09-02-2011, 01:29 AM
I find it hard to buy into the theory that Walt is taking away one of Dusty's toys. If our GM has to get rid of a guy to have our manager not use him then we are screwed.

dougdirt
09-02-2011, 01:47 AM
If our GM has to get rid of a guy to have our manager not use him then we are screwed.

Some people have been saying this since day one. It was one of the big concerns with hiring Dusty for some.

NDRed
09-02-2011, 03:11 AM
Some people have been saying this since day one. It was one of the big concerns with hiring Dusty for some.

Yep and it sucks!

Redhook
09-02-2011, 07:29 AM
I find it hard to buy into the theory that Walt is taking away one of Dusty's toys. If our GM has to get rid of a guy to have our manager not use him then we are screwed.

It's not a theory. It's a sad fact.

Roy Tucker
09-02-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm a cut-to-the-chase kind of guy and wished they would have played the rookies a little earlier. But it seemed the organization wanted to find out about Lewis before Alonso, Sappelt, etc etc. Which is OK, I suppose.

So they gave Lewis a very healthy dose of a chance and played him a lot through August where he eminently showed he just wasn't all that good. They were very fair to him. A very traditional way of doing things.

HokieRed
09-02-2011, 09:15 AM
What about Fred Lewis isn't already known?

Mario-Rijo
09-02-2011, 09:17 AM
What about Fred Lewis isn't already known?

One could have said that about Jose Bautista a couple of years ago...just sayin'.

westofyou
09-02-2011, 09:20 AM
It's not a theory. It's a sad fact.
Facts are facts, inference is inference.

Far East
09-02-2011, 09:43 AM
What about Fred Lewis isn't already known?I can't say what management did or not already know. I was rooting hard for him to succeed, but what I learned while watching the Fred Lewis' audition was that many of his base hits were of the soft looping or ground ball variety, that he either broke his bat, fouled off or just swung through what looked like very hitable pitches.

klw
09-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Lewis could have value as a LF PH. He did very well in that role this year and has been solid doing that in his career. Giving him a spot start against RH would be fine too but given where the team is at this point in the season, neither of those roles holds as much value as an open 40 man roster slot. I hope he stays in the system and is a AAA option next year.

HokieRed
09-02-2011, 10:10 AM
One could have said that about Jose Bautista a couple of years ago...just sayin'.

Fred Lewis has 27 HRs in 6 years; Bautista had 16 in his 25 year old season. The fact people missed what was to be seen in Bautista means nothing about a player like Fred Lewis, whose upside was very well established before we got him. Picking him up made a certain amount of sense for us; continuing to play him when it was critical to find out how to evaluate Alonso made none. I think this thing between Walt and Dusty is more serious than many on here are allowing and that's precisely because Alonso is so central to a number of decisions Walt must make in the offseason. What to do about LF? How much to offer Votto? If it looks like Votto's not going to sign long-term, what's the optimum time to keep him and trade him? What to do about the Sappelt-Heisey-Stubbs group? How many of those can be dealt? Not to mention the question of Alonso's value in the trade market, which has certainly not been helped by Dusty's giving him so little playing time.

westofyou
09-02-2011, 10:33 AM
From Fay's blog:

“It’s never easy to do,” Baker said of Lewis’ departure. “Things didn’t really work out the second half as well as we thought they possibly would. And we got Heisey back. You hate to have to tell somebody, but it’s a tough part of the game.”

Sounds like

A. Dusty told him
B. Dusty knew it was the right move based on current circumstances

Hardly sounds like a guy who had a "toy" taken away from him.

But hey more Dave Sappelt!!

A guy lost at the plate (like Fred) and a guy who's LF play has not impressed me one bit.

Actually I think we'll see more Heisey than anyone, and if he hadn't got hurt we would have seen less Lewis than we have.

IslandRed
09-02-2011, 10:42 AM
The rejection of Lewis is proof positive that an error was committed giving him a $900K contract.

In retrospect, sure. If we'd gotten the Lewis of 2007-2010, basically a league average bat as measured by OPS+, it wouldn't have been a mistake at $900k. But yes, it was time to cut bait.

HokieRed
09-02-2011, 10:54 AM
I hope we see more Heisey, too, in CF, the only position his bat can play in on this team.

Tony Cloninger
09-02-2011, 10:55 AM
From Fay's blog:

Sounds like

A. Dusty told him
B. Dusty knew it was the right move based on current circumstances

Hardly sounds like a guy who had a "toy" taken away from him.

But hey more Dave Sappelt!!

A guy lost at the plate (like Fred) and a guy who's LF play has not impressed me one bit.

Actually I think we'll see more Heisey than anyone, and if he hadn't got hurt we would have seen less Lewis than we have.

I think so as well. Hesiey would have been the main guy.

lollipopcurve
09-02-2011, 10:57 AM
I hope we see more Heisey, too, in CF, the only position his bat can play in on this team.

Agreed. Competition needed in CF.

REDREAD
09-02-2011, 11:12 AM

Yea, I think this Dusty-Walt "feud" is something made up on the message boards to create drama in a boring season.

It could be that Lewis was given some playing time for Walt/Dusty to decide whether it was worth offering him arbitration to come back next year as a 5th OF.
Lewis wasn't exactly impressive. Perhaps they sat Lewis down, told him he was not in their plans next year and gave him the option of leaving and Lewis took it.

Lewis' career is hanging on by thread now. Despite all the complaints on the board, I think it was nice to give Lewis a fair shake to earn a roster spot before cutting him. That will help Dusty and Walt court other bench players in the future. And it's not as if Sappelt or any other marginal prospect forced his way in.

Mario-Rijo
09-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Yea, I think this Dusty-Walt "feud" is something made up on the message boards to create drama in a boring season.

It could be that Lewis was given some playing time for Walt/Dusty to decide whether it was worth offering him arbitration to come back next year as a 5th OF.
Lewis wasn't exactly impressive. Perhaps they sat Lewis down, told him he was not in their plans next year and gave him the option of leaving and Lewis took it.

Lewis' career is hanging on by thread now. Despite all the complaints on the board, I think it was nice to give Lewis a fair shake to earn a roster spot before cutting him. That will help Dusty and Walt court other bench players in the future. And it's not as if Sappelt or any other marginal prospect forced his way in.

Actually I was thinking it was a BS move on their part to cut him after the deadline to make a playoff roster. Not cool...

alloverjr
09-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Actually I was thinking it was a BS move on their part to cut him after the deadline to make a playoff roster. Not cool...

Not quite. If he was outrighted 9/1, he would have already been exposed and cleared waivers before/by 8/31. Obviously no postseason contender wanted him enough to put a claim in while there was time to add him for a potential playoff roster.