PDA

View Full Version : UK Football 2011 Thread

WVRed
09-02-2011, 12:40 AM
UK only up 7-3 on WKU with 3:07 left in the third quarter.

This is going to be a loooooonnnnnnggggg season with the way things are looking.

WMR
09-02-2011, 12:57 AM
It seems to be our destiny that whenever the basketball is truly rolling, football has to be bad.

The Curse of Bear Bryant lives on... :D

Playadlc
09-02-2011, 12:59 AM
Newton looks awful.

Scrap Irony
09-02-2011, 02:01 AM
My Toppers gave them a run, but it wasn't meant to be.

Some observations:

For WKU:
Rainey will struggle this year for WKU if they can't find consistent offensive help. For a West Coast offense, there isn't much throwing to the tight ends. That would have moved Trevathian and/or Guy away from the LoS, thereby giving Rainey more room to roam. (Both those guys are studs.)

For UK:
If Newton is as good as Kentucky has at QB, they may very well not win another game all year. He's horrid throwing the simple down and outs, slants, dumps that are gravy to all but the most inexperienced signal callers in the game. His long balls are beautiful. Too bad his WR corps can't catch them unless they're gift-wrapped. I'd get Maxwell Smith up to speed as quickly as possible. Newton doesn't appear to be the answer.

Does Kentucky have a WR that can catch?

What happened to the halfback dump? Does Joker use that play ever?

For an experienced offensive line with 50 pound advantages across the line from Western, UK basically sucked. Western dominated the LoS for most of the game. With a few breaks here and there and a couple calls going to other way (13 penalties on WKU), they very well could have won.

WMR
09-02-2011, 02:28 AM
5 opening wins in a row... For Kentucky that is actually pretty impressive.

KronoRed
09-02-2011, 03:03 AM
A new kind of pass technique?
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/794223/NEWTON_FALL.gif

cumberlandreds
09-02-2011, 08:52 AM
I DVR'd the game and haven't watched it yet. I may not, considering how boring a game it looked to be. Judging by the stats and articles I have read the offense was just pathetic. They are going to have to considerable improvement in a short amount of time just to be competitive in the SEC. I'm not sure that's happening. The defense will have to carry this team but attrition may takes it toll and things may get really ugly by the end of the season. I never understood why some were hyping what a good offensive line UK had. It's basically the same as last seasons and they were not very good then. Apparently they have not improved at all since last season.
Its better to be 1-0 than 0-1. A loss would have been a disaster to this team and Joker Phillips that either could not have overcome. Hate to say it but it looks all UK fans sports eyes will be turning to basketball very soon.

Joseph
09-02-2011, 09:50 AM
I DVR'd the game and haven't watched it yet. I may not, considering how boring a game it looked to be. Judging by the stats and articles I have read the offense was just pathetic. They are going to have to considerable improvement in a short amount of time just to be competitive in the SEC. I'm not sure that's happening. The defense will have to carry this team but attrition may takes it toll and things may get really ugly by the end of the season. I never understood why some were hyping what a good offensive line UK had. It's basically the same as last seasons and they were not very good then. Apparently they have not improved at all since last season.
Its better to be 1-0 than 0-1. A loss would have been a disaster to this team and Joker Phillips that either could not have overcome. Hate to say it but it looks all UK fans sports eyes will be turning to basketball very soon.

Lets be realistic, I don't think they can be competitive in the SEC and I'm a true blue UK fan. Not unless last night was just the case of playing to the level of competition.

cumberlandreds
09-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Lets be realistic, I don't think they can be competitive in the SEC and I'm a true blue UK fan. Not unless last night was just the case of playing to the level of competition.

I agree. From the way the first game went they won't be competitive at all in the SEC. In fact they may not win a game in conference.

WVRed
09-02-2011, 01:21 PM
They may beat Central Michigan next week but Louisville is seriously in question. We desperately need the Louisville game if there is any hope of continuing the bowl streak, but even then there is work to be done.

I'm starting to wonder if this season goes the way I think it will if Joker will have a job next season.

Scrap Irony
09-02-2011, 04:24 PM
They may beat Central Michigan next week but Louisville is seriously in question. We desperately need the Louisville game if there is any hope of continuing the bowl streak, but even then there is work to be done.

I'm starting to wonder if this season goes the way I think it will if Joker will have a job next season.

If he loses to Louisville, you have to start looking around.

Perhaps Urban Meyer would want to come out of retirement? Perhaps Jim Tressel would consider coaching at Kentucky? Want to give Charlie Weis a second shot at college football? Or perhaps Mike Leach?

Lots of good coaches currently without a job and, frankly, what's Joker done while at Kentucky aside from backsliding to Bill Curry territory?

Captain13
09-02-2011, 04:57 PM

Perhaps Urban Meyer would want to come out of retirement? Perhaps Jim Tressel would consider coaching at Kentucky? Want to give Charlie Weis a second shot at college football? Or perhaps Mike Leach?

Lots of good coaches currently without a job and, frankly, what's Joker done while at Kentucky aside from backsliding to Bill Curry territory?

As a Louisville fan, I hope Mike Leach is never the head coach at UK. I like Mike Leach, think he is an amazing coach, and don't want to cheer against him 12 times a year.

As for week 3, it will be an interesting mess. Neither team looked good last night; both have plenty of work to do.

PedroBourbon
09-02-2011, 05:09 PM
4 yards of offense in the 1st quarter, a whopping 35 the whole first half for UK? Not a good sign at all. I would have killed to have Hartline back and I HATED him as our QB.

WVRed
09-02-2011, 11:05 PM

Out of that list, only Mike Leach seems the most realistic.

Urban Meyer is probably option A B C & D at Ohio State. I don't see any way Kentucky hires Tressel given the baggage that would be coming. Weis is a career assistant and I think he realizes that.

Leach coached at Kentucky under Hal Mumme. I think Leach would have a monumental impact in Lexington and might be the coach who could bring lofty expectations to UK's football program. That being said, given how Mumme left, I kinda wonder if fans would be very receptive to a former assistant.

WMR
09-03-2011, 01:24 AM
Fire Joker, hire Leach. He would get us relevant in the SEC.

WVRed
09-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Fire Joker, hire Leach. He would get us relevant in the SEC.

I'll throw another name out, Rich Rodriguez.

Like Leach, has his own brand of exciting offense with the spread option. He was in over his head at Michigan and while he would be in the SEC, the expectations are a lot lower at Kentucky compared to Michigan, and even West Virginia.

I think Leach would be more likely, but I'd take Rodriguez as well.

WMR
09-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Okay, who is going to play less mediocre football tomorrow, the Cats or the Cards? :)

jmac
09-15-2011, 07:32 PM
I dont know if UK can score enough as I figure U of L will score in the low 20's. Thats asking alot out of this year's UK team. Unless Morgan turns into Cam, I sense alot of blowouts starting after this week.

Blimpie
09-16-2011, 11:31 PM
Heard on the radio this afternoon that 4,000 tickets were still available for tomorrow's game.

That pretty much sums up the true level of suckitude that is expected to take the field at Commonwealth.

KronoRed
09-17-2011, 02:31 AM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/215378/Screen-shot-2011-09-12-at-7.26.36-PM.png

WVRed
09-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Fire Joker Phillips.

WMR
09-18-2011, 12:04 AM
This team looks beyond pathetic.

It appears that any improvements made under Rich Brooks have been completely squandered.

cumberlandreds
09-19-2011, 08:55 AM
This team looks beyond pathetic.

It appears that any improvements made under Rich Brooks have been completely squandered.

Totally agree. If they win two more games this season it will be a miracle. The next three weeks will be bloodbaths against Florida,LSU and South Carolina.

WVRed
09-27-2011, 11:48 PM
The Hot Seat Bowl against Ole Miss (named by Pat Forde)

They play in Lexington on Nov. 5, and by then the Wildcats will be 3-5 and Rebels 2-6. Houston Nutt will be on borrowed time in his fourth year, and Kentucky fans have jumped ship on Joker Phillips in a remarkable hurry. (There were empty seats for normal lock sellouts against archrival Louisville and unbeaten Florida.) Phillips has only had 17 games as head coach, winning eight. Most Wildcats fans don't seem to recall that predecessor Rich Brooks was 5-12 at the same point in his UK career, on his way to three straight losing seasons before pushing the program to respectability.

Note to Pat Forde,

1. Rich Brooks had a successful history BEFORE coming to Kentucky.

2. Joker Phillips was handed a program that was heading in the right direction and has managed to turn it into a shipwreck.

dabvu2498
09-28-2011, 03:06 AM
1. Rich Brooks had a successful history BEFORE coming to Kentucky.

2. Joker Phillips was handed a program that was heading in the right direction and has managed to turn it into a shipwreck.

2 Thoughts.

1. Rich Brooks was 91-109-4 as a head coach before coming to UK.

2. If the program was "headed in the right direction" why are the Junior and Senior classes at UK so devoid of talent?

WMR
09-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Who was the head recruiter for those Junior and Senior classes?

The whole notion behind the "Coach in Waiting" deal was to have continuity within the program... Instead things appear to be moving backwards.

cumberlandreds
09-28-2011, 04:38 PM

The whole notion behind the "Coach in Waiting" deal was to have continuity within the program... Instead things appear to be moving backwards.

Exactly. The program was at the very least was to continue as they were. Which was reasonably competitve. But now UK has regressed back to the Bill Curry days when 40 and 50 point beatings were a regular thing. Joker should not get much rope to keep his job. If this season continues like it has been so far he should be let go at the end of 2011.

WVRed
09-28-2011, 07:59 PM
2 Thoughts.

1. Rich Brooks was 91-109-4 as a head coach before coming to UK.

2. If the program was "headed in the right direction" why are the Junior and Senior classes at UK so devoid of talent?

WMR and cumberland summed up no 2, but Rich Brooks inherited a team not much better than the Kentucky team he took over, long before the days of Phil Knight. Oregon State was actually the superior school at the time and Brooks was able to turn it around, handing it off to Mike Belotti.

For the record, I've said I'd be happy with Mike Leach coming to Kentucky (was offensive coordinator under Hal Mumme before leaving for Oklahoma). Another coach I would throw into the ring is Rich Rodriguez:

1. Exciting style of offense that would attract recruits, plus one that I think would win in the SEC.

2. Was in over his head at Michigan. The expectations would be a lot less at Kentucky and I think Rodriguez would be happy working in the shadow of Calipari.

3. Not too far away from any family he hasn't alienated in West Virginia.

If that doesn't work, then Gus Malzahn. :)

dabvu2498
09-28-2011, 10:23 PM

He became recruiting coordinator in 2002 when he was hired.

I'm not saying UK fans should be happy with 3-9, 4-8 or whatever they might end up this year. I'm not even saying they should be happy with consistent 6-6, especially not given their propensity for scheduling gimme non-conference games. I just don't think 2 years of Joker Phillips shows much of anything except for a couple very weak recruiting classes in a row.

Now if he was recruiting coordinator from 2002 on, I doubt he's forgotten how to recruit.

WVRed
09-30-2011, 12:41 AM
He became recruiting coordinator in 2002 when he was hired.

I'm not saying UK fans should be happy with 3-9, 4-8 or whatever they might end up this year. I'm not even saying they should be happy with consistent 6-6, especially not given their propensity for scheduling gimme non-conference games. I just don't think 2 years of Joker Phillips shows much of anything except for a couple very weak recruiting classes in a row.

Now if he was recruiting coordinator from 2002 on, I doubt he's forgotten how to recruit.

My feelings right now is to wait and see how the recruiting class shapes up. UK has some pretty decent verbals so far but this season could change some of that. If a Patrick Towles decides to look elsewhere, I would really be concerned.

Joseph
09-30-2011, 06:04 PM
How much do we lose by tomorrow? 21? 28? 30+?

The Operator
09-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know why there's been an entire tent village camped outside Memorial Colosseum this week? I initially thought basketball tickets were going on sale but I haven't got a single email about student ticket buying options.

So what gives?

WVRed
09-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know why there's been an entire tent village camped outside Memorial Colosseum this week? I initially thought basketball tickets were going on sale but I haven't got a

single email about student ticket buying options.

So what gives?

Midnight madness

jmac
09-30-2011, 11:44 PM

I really cant see UK playing within 21 points of LSU. My guess would be 45-7 or something like that. Big fan here but they just havent given me any reason at all to think they can compete.

dabvu2498
09-30-2011, 11:57 PM

The Vegas line is 30.5. Ew.

WVRed
10-01-2011, 01:11 PM
I really cant see UK playing within 21 points of LSU. My guess would be 45-7 or something like that. Big fan here but they just havent given me any reason at all to think they can compete.

If we get a field goal it will be a moral victory.

They dismantled WVU in Morgantown last weekend and Kentucky doesn't have anything close to an offense. I'm predicting a shutout 41-0.

dabvu2498
10-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Well. LSU didn't cover.

WVRed
10-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Well. LSU didn't cover.

They didn't, but Kentucky offensively looked pathetic again. Newton didn't have a completion until before halftime.

I'd rather see what Maxwell Smith can do on offense in a full game. It can't be worse than Morgan Newton.

To add insult to injury, Louisville lost at home to Marshall. I'd say the Herd is better than UK at this point.

jmac
10-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Yeah, Smith gets to show today against a top ranked defense which most qb's couldnt do well against. Newton on the other hand hasnt played well against even the lesser competition.
I too would like to see him in a full game. KY will do well to win "2" more games this season the way they're playing now.

WVRed
10-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Yeah, Smith gets to show today against a top ranked defense which most qb's couldnt do well against. Newton on the other hand hasnt played well against even the lesser competition.
I too would like to see him in a full game. KY will do well to win "2" more games this season the way they're playing now.

Jacksonville State and Ole Miss are the only two winnable games I see, and the last one is stretching it.

That being said, I think Joker will pull a win out against somebody unexpected that will be good enough to give him job security heading into next season. I'd say either Georgia or even Tennessee.

WMR
10-02-2011, 07:31 AM
What is Morgan Newton? He's not a Quarterback, that's for sure.

Awesome job running off Mossakowski, Joker.

jmac
10-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Jacksonville State and Ole Miss are the only two winnable games I see, and the last one is stretching it.

That being said, I think Joker will pull a win out against somebody unexpected that will be good enough to give him job security heading into next season. I'd say either Georgia or even Tennessee.

I hope you're right but you have more confidence in them right now than me as far as UGA or UT.

jmac
10-08-2011, 02:42 PM
I can honestly say it was more fun listening/watching the UK Curry/Billy Jack Haskins run offense than what we are seeing now.
:yikes::yikes::yikes:

WMR
10-08-2011, 04:32 PM
73 v. 526

Know what those #s represent?

TOTAL YARDAGE. 10:30 left in 4th quarter.....

Just..... WOW. You literally cannot make up such futility.

Makes those Curry teams look positively competent.

jmac
10-08-2011, 05:55 PM
73 v. 526

Know what those #s represent?

TOTAL YARDAGE. 10:30 left in 4th quarter.....

Just..... WOW. You literally cannot make up such futility.

Makes those Curry teams look positively competent.
Plus, dont forget only UK could fumble the ball while trying to run out the clock. :eek:
When you look at the players we have had over the last several years, Woodson-Lorenzen-Locke-Conner-Burton-Tamme-Johnson-Cobb and a few others on offense as well such as Hartline, it appears someone has fumbled the ball on this coaching staff to have the current lineup that we do.

WMR
10-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Fire the Joke and Hire Leach.

WVRed
10-08-2011, 10:55 PM
I think my signature sums it up. I've decided that if Kentucky doesn't fire Joker after this season, I am switching my allegiance in football to WVU. That's how fed up I am with the administration.

The basketball program is self-sustaining and can take care of itself. The football program is in major need of a facelift and something needs to happen.

jmac
10-09-2011, 03:11 PM
This quote by Spurrier caught my attention :
"We could have picked up 70 or 80 points today," Spurrier said smiling. "But 50 was enough."
and
""Kentucky has a heck of a punter, I know that," he said.

While SS was probably making a backhand slap on KY, he was telling it right. Our punter is the best but he should be as much practice as he gets. :D
I have noticed many of the UK writers in the media and on the net are reallly beginning to call for some changes. I have nothing against Joker but maybe his thing was recruiting and this is too much. While I have my doubts Mitch will do anything after only two years, if the attendance drops the rest of the way, you never know.

A few more stats and comments btw:

Congratulations to Florida Atlantic are in order. With their 324 total yards against Louisiana-Lafayette yesterday, they overtook us for average yards per game - 230 to 229. Now the only thing separating us from a dreaded last place in total offense is the Kent State Golden Flashes. Luckily, they’re only averaging 171 yards per game, so we’d have to suck even worse than we already have to let them catch us, but nothing would surprise me with this team.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an offense this bad in my entire life. I know a lot of you are clamoring for Mike Leach to replace Joker as the head coach, but if we’re not willing to pay him what he wants, there are tons of high school coaches around who know how to put lots of points on the board. At this point, I’ve come to terms with the fact that we’re going to lose, just make it exciting.

If you want to be really depressed, let’s play with the offensive numbers. UK has 714 passing yards on the season and 660 rushing yards. Those totals are good for 8th worst and 33rd worst in the country, respectively. In addition, at 13 points per game, UK ranks 3rd worst in scoring. To put that in perspective, Bill Curry’s 1994 team that went 1-10 scored 13.5 points per game. Kentucky does have 13.5 first downs per game, 4th worst, and a 3rd down conversion rate of 25.3%, 6th worst.

There are three receivers in the country who have more receiving yards than UK’s 714 pass yards - Jordan White from Western Michigan, A.J. Jenkins from Illinois, and Robert Woods from USC. There are seven running backs with more than 660 rush yards - Ray Graham from Pitt, LaMichael James from Oregon, Marcus Lattimore from South Carolina, Trent Richardson from Alabama, David Willson from Virginia Tech, Bernard Pierce from Temple and Lamar Miller from Miami. Denard Robinson also has 686 rushing yards.

I don’t care what’s done. Bring in BTI’s Triple Option. Bring in Mike Leach’s aerial assault. Just fix the offense. It’s embarrassing.

WMR
10-09-2011, 06:02 PM
This made me LOL.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn308/jr40831/torches-and-pitchforks2.jpg

cumberlandreds
10-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Fire the Joke and Hire Leach.

Arizona just fired Mike Stoops. My bet is that Leach ends up there.
Firday is Midnight Madness so football is officially over in Kentucky.

WVRed
10-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Arizona just fired Mike Stoops. My bet is that Leach ends up there.
Firday is Midnight Madness so football is officially over in Kentucky.

From what I've read, Chris Peterson and Dan Mullen would be on the short list. Both can do better though, especially when you consider Arizona is just like Kentucky in terms of following (basketball first). Mullen is interesting because Arizona's AD Greg Byrne hired Mullen at Mississippi State.

My pick is Rich Rodriguez. Either way, I agree with something I read on KSR a couple nights ago. UK needs to take a "Moneyball" approach to winning in the SEC and do something outside of SEC smashmouth football to be able to have a fighting chance. If you think about it, we're the Oakland A's.

cumberlandreds
10-11-2011, 11:55 AM
From what I've read, Chris Peterson and Dan Mullen would be on the short list. Both can do better though, especially when you consider Arizona is just like Kentucky in terms of following (basketball first). Mullen is interesting because Arizona's AD Greg Byrne hired Mullen at Mississippi State.

My pick is Rich Rodriguez. Either way, I agree with something I read on KSR a couple nights ago. UK needs to take a "Moneyball" approach to winning in the SEC and do something outside of SEC smashmouth football to be able to have a fighting chance. If you think about it, we're the Oakland A's.

Rich Rod would be a good choice for UK. He was in over his head at Michigan just as BG was at UK with the basketball program. He would probably do well at UK since there isn't much expectations. They do need someone who would think outside of the box.

WMR
10-11-2011, 01:16 PM
You're never going to have the athletes to line-up and play smash mouth football versus teams like Bama, Florida, Georgia etc. etc. on a consistent basis.

IMO a "gimmick" offense is the only way to have real success (Beyond 6-7 wins) @ UK.

WVRed
10-11-2011, 02:27 PM
And things just keep....getting....worse.

Josh Clemons out for the rest of the season with a torn meniscus. Until Raymond Sanders comes back, its Coshik Williams and Jonathan George in the backfield.

What little bit of offense we had is now gone. I think we'll easily catch Kent State for last in FBS in total offense.

WVRed
10-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Rich Rod would be a good choice for UK. He was in over his head at Michigan just as BG was at UK with the basketball program. He would probably do well at UK since there isn't much expectations. They do need someone who would think outside of the box.

On the flip side though, Rodriguez was the guy who was supposed to "change the way the Big Ten played". Ohio State had problems in the past with this style of offense and with the innovator of it being at the archrival was supposed to turn the tide.

I don't know that it would work in the SEC, but anything UK does to compete unless they dump a ton of money into the football program is gonna have to be a gamble or gimmick offense. Mike Leach (Air Raid), Rich Rodriguez (Spread Option), Gus Malzahn (Wildcat), or Paul Johnson (Triple Option) are the ideal candidates.

LexRedsFan
10-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Go Jacksonville State! I'm done with Joker.

jmac
10-11-2011, 06:13 PM
One local station today was giving over/under on attendance at the JS game. They placed the number at 38,000.
I feel UK will draw probably around 50,000 to the game but bad attendance may force a move more than the won/loss record.

jmac
10-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Some interesting tweets coming out since the SC debacle from former UK players.

Zipp Duncan :

KingZipp72 Zipp Duncan
At some point you gotta hold everyone accountable.....even if you handpicked him as the starter, and told his competition to transfer
8 Oct Favorite Retweet Reply

KingZipp72 Zipp Duncan
@
@Calipartytime I believe it starts with the HC, attitude/play reflect leadership. Not seeing the tough, fundamental football Brooks coached
8 Oct

KingZipp72 Zipp Duncan
At some point you gotta hold everyone accountable.....even if you handpicked him as the starter, and told his competition to transfer
8 Oct Favorite Retweet Reply

Sam Maxwell :

"Idk what to say about that game but I still bleed blue Rich Brooks Blue".

I really found the quote about asking/telling Mossakowski to transfer interesting. I dont know , only showing what was tweeted.

Scrap Irony
10-11-2011, 07:33 PM
That was the rumor this summer.

Massakowski was never going to get a fair shake at Kentucky. Joker decided on his QB early in the process and never wavered. And, while loyalty is a good thing, it's not what should determine a starting SEC QB.

The Operator
10-14-2011, 10:45 PM
The Joke has gotten ye ole' vote of confidence from the AD.

http://www.lex18.com/news/joker-will-coach-uk-next-season/

jmac
10-22-2011, 11:01 AM
I guess today we will see what Joker has done with 2 weeks of practice.

5TimeWSChamps
10-22-2011, 12:55 PM
We are going to lose...guaranteed

5TimeWSChamps
10-22-2011, 02:11 PM
21-0..

jmac
10-22-2011, 07:34 PM
KY will not run the ball against SEC teams the way they did today. Still no passing game. This JSU gave up 421 yards passing to Murray State.
Attendance announced at 54,000 but maybe around 40,000 actually in stands.
Nice to get a win but I still doubt this team wins another the rest of the season. (hope I'm wrong though)

5TimeWSChamps
10-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Black uniforms this weekend...

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/314450_10150367802969581_57835779580_8100290_44242 3591_n.jpg

KronoRed
10-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Ugly.

jmac
10-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Ugly.

The uniforms or their play ? :laugh:

WMR
10-25-2011, 08:30 PM
I like them and the players love them. At this point, I'm for trying anything that might cause a spark.

KronoRed
10-25-2011, 10:56 PM
The uniforms or their play ? :laugh:

Both, and I've been seeing some ugly play from my own team lately :laugh:

WVRed
10-25-2011, 11:18 PM
I like them and the players love them. At this point, I'm for trying anything that might cause a spark.

Same here. For the record, I would LOVE to see the black uni's adopted for a game in basketball as well. The blue hairs might not like it, but the players loved them when we did it under Billy the Clyde and I think Cal would do it.

dabvu2498
10-25-2011, 11:26 PM

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/438400/2306197/0/1150686836/Disposable_Cigarette_Lighters.jpg

This would probably work better.

WMR
10-25-2011, 11:29 PM
You gotta be pretty damn happy with how things are going football-wise in Nashville. After Georgia, I think Vandy might be our toughest game remaining.

Sea Ray
10-26-2011, 01:02 AM
You gotta be pretty damn happy with how things are going football-wise in Nashville. After Georgia, I think Vandy might be our toughest game remaining.

Bray will be back in time for Kentucky. Tenn will be tough provided they don't lose too many more players

dabvu2498
10-26-2011, 02:37 AM

It's better. I've thought that before, though, so I'm not drawing any firm conclusions just yet.

Franklin may be the right guy for the job, but if he is, he's also the right guy for a bigger job and won't stick around very long. I do love some of the stuff he says, though.

“We are not going to sit back and take stuff from anybody – anybody. No one," an emotional Franklin said immediately after the loss. "Those days are long gone, and they are never coming back – ever."

On Monday, at his weekly press conference, he didn’t back down from those sentiments, which came after Franklin was involved in a postgame verbal altercation with Georgia defensive coordinator Todd Grantham.

“Things have changed. So we are going to represent Vanderbilt the right way and we’re going to do it with class and we’re going to do it with dignity but we’re not going to be pushed around. We’re not going to be intimidated,” Franklin said. “... That is not really in response to what happened [with] Georgia. That is just in general. That is a blanket statement. We are going to compete and be aggressive with everything we do. If some people don’t like that, I’m sorry. Things are changing here.”

As much as I liked and respected Bobby Johnson, he never would have thought that, much less said it... Or acted on it.

jmac
11-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Though it was only against Miss State and Ole Miss, Smith has made this team look worlds apart from we have been witnessing earlier. Let's hope it continues against Vandy coming up. :)

dabvu2498
11-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Not having watched Kentucky much this year, I can now see why UK fans are upset. They played today like they didn't have a pulse.

Vanderbilt is now 4-34 in November since 2001.

Boston Red
11-12-2011, 05:57 PM
So does Joker survive to season 3? Tennessee is pretty awful this year, and Kentucky couldn't fire a coach fresh off the first win over the Vols in 30 years. Is that his only hope?

WMR
11-12-2011, 07:15 PM
With Mitch Barnhart calling the shots, I have zero confidence he will make the correct call.

WVRed
11-12-2011, 08:33 PM
With Mitch Barnhart calling the shots, I have zero confidence he will make the correct call.

Same here, the fans want Mike Leach but I don't see it happening.

Barnhardt, UK's Athletic Director, was left out of the Calipari negotiations for a reason.

WMR
11-12-2011, 10:43 PM
UK football is embarrassing again. Awesome job, Barnhart.

Keep improving those sports no one gives a damn about and let football continue to sink.

You know, if the decision hadn't been taken out of his hands, we wouldn't have Cal right now. I so wish Kansas had hired him.

KronoRed
11-12-2011, 10:45 PM
How do you know Joker is bad?

He lost to Will Muschamp. ;)

jmac
11-13-2011, 02:00 PM
I dont see MB doing anything about Joker this season.
What I am also thinking is after yesterday's sleepwalking debacle, and next game's more than likely beatdown by Georgia, Joker will use this as a reason to go back to Newton for the UT game.
In my opinion, Newton's ship has sailed. We know what he can do. He's a junior.
As far as yesterday.....getting beat like that by Georgia,LSU etc is expected. By Vanderbilt is embarrassing.

cumberlandreds
11-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Joker has destroyed the UK program quicker than Billy Curry did back in the 90's. He obviously in over his head and will never get it done at UK. There is some talk of a lot of season ticket holders not renewing for next season. If they actually do follow through on this threat maybe something will be done. But I doubt it. Joker will be back next season and a 1-11 season awaits.

WVRed
11-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Joker has destroyed the UK program quicker than Billy Curry did back in the 90's. He obviously in over his head and will never get it done at UK. There is some talk of a lot of season ticket holders not renewing for next season. If they actually do follow through on this threat maybe something will be done. But I doubt it. Joker will be back next season and a 1-11 season awaits.

If this was the basketball program, something would be done about it. Its a shame though, because I have found myself following WVU more this season than the Cats.

jmac
11-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Hats off to the UK defense who turned in an excellent game against Georgia. The offensive line though got pushed around big time.
I have a feeling Bray will pick them apart but I hope I'm wrong. My feeling is Joker will return but this team has began a sad downward spiral. I used to say UK fans arent hard to please. We want "6 wins and a bowl".
Then we get 5 straight bowls and all of sudden, we want a better bowl and not a lesser bowl.
Well, now the bowl streak is over and other things are going on. Vandy is improving ( they always counted as a win) and plus A&M and Missouri are moving in. No those 2 teams arent like LSU and Bama etc but they certainly are ahead of KY.
I actually heard someone on a local radio station saying to not forget what Brooks record was his first 3 years. Wow. Due to scholarship reductions, plus the fact Joker took over a team when the program was at a high it isnt hasnt seen in sometime, says the circumstances were totally different.
I have nothing personally against Joker but I just cant see this team improving next season especially taking Guy and Trevathon away from the defense.

WVRed
11-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Hats off to the UK defense who turned in an excellent game against Georgia. The offensive line though got pushed around big time.
I have a feeling Bray will pick them apart but I hope I'm wrong. My feeling is Joker will return but this team has began a sad downward spiral. I used to say UK fans arent hard to please. We want "6 wins and a bowl".
Then we get 5 straight bowls and all of sudden, we want a better bowl and not a lesser bowl.
Well, now the bowl streak is over and other things are going on. Vandy is improving ( they always counted as a win) and plus A&M and Missouri are moving in. No those 2 teams arent like LSU and Bama etc but they certainly are ahead of KY.
I actually heard someone on a local radio station saying to not forget what Brooks record was his first 3 years. Wow. Due to scholarship reductions, plus the fact Joker took over a team when the program was at a high it isnt hasnt seen in sometime, says the circumstances were totally different.
I have nothing personally against Joker but I just cant see this team improving next season especially taking Guy and Trevathon away from the defense.

I hear people say this and I just cringe.

Kentucky was coming off probation in the most unforgiving conference in college sports. Brooks was building his own program and installing his own system. Of course there is going to be struggles.

Joker Phillips job was to continue what Rich Brooks started. That is where he has failed. The system is in place. Joker isn't doing anything new, he is working off of the Rich Brooks platform and not getting the job done.

WMR
11-21-2011, 02:29 PM
I am so sick of watching us try to play a pro style offense with 3 star athletes/players in the SEC.

WVRed
11-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Looks like Rich Rodriguez is going to be a Wildcat.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ap-source-arizona-plans-hire-rich-rodriguez-15001809

Just not Kentucky.

Blimpie
11-23-2011, 02:03 PM
I am setting the over-under at 55,000 fans in attendance for Saturday's UT vs. UK game at Commonwealth Stadium.

What say you?

cumberlandreds
11-25-2011, 08:54 AM
I am setting the over-under at 55,000 fans in attendance for Saturday's UT vs. UK game at Commonwealth Stadium.

What say you?

Under. I think UK fans are extremly apathetic about this team and moreso the coaching regime. They just aren't going to go out and watch two poor teams play one another.

5TimeWSChamps
11-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Rumor is Matt Roark may be startong at QB

Blimpie
11-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Under. I think UK fans are extremly apathetic about this team and moreso the coaching regime. They just aren't going to go out and watch two poor teams play one another.I think it will be between 50-55K in the stands. Unfortunately, many of them will be wearing orange.

WVRed
11-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Rumor is Matt Roark may be startong at QB

Yep, depending on if Morgan Newton or Max Smith can't go.

Roark did guarantee a victory against the Vols earlier this week. That being said, if we're starting our top receiver of late at QB, this could be embarrassing.

jmac
11-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Before game today MB said Joker would be given time to turn program around. I thought he has turned it around because we was going in the right direction a couple of years ago. :laugh:

WVRed
11-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Streak over

jmac
11-26-2011, 05:08 PM
The defense was exceptional vs Georgia and UT ! :beerme:
Course today, Dooley's using the other QB at the goal line helped too. :D

WMR
11-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Happy for the win but not happy about another year of the Joker.

Blimpie
11-26-2011, 08:15 PM
FWIW, there were 59,855 fans in attendance today at Commonwealth Stadium. Remarkably, only a portion of two sections were wearing that God-forsaken orange color.

Normally, when they think they can gobble up some cheap tix in Lexington, I-75 is thick with Volunteer fans and they are crawling all over the stadium.

I must say, I have been going to UK football games for about 35 years and I cannot recall watching a UK vs. UT game that was completely devoid of talent by either team.

No matter. The streak has ended and Tennessee can not back into any bowl games this year. Mission accomplished.

WVRed
11-27-2011, 01:03 AM
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/utuk1126.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QKxHKalsqHQ

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/afnkypbcqaer2ji-500x750.jpg

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/afofiekciaakwsf-500x340.jpg

PedroBourbon
11-27-2011, 11:08 AM
How many of the BBN knew the name Matt Roark before yesterday? How many D1 teams have WON a game with only 15 passing yards? I'm sure there are many that have lost.

UNC losing to UNLV made it a pretty good day to be a UK fan too.

WMR
12-02-2011, 11:19 AM
I genuinely hope Sea Ray at least comes by and offers his congratulations after lo these 26 years.

Sea Ray
12-03-2011, 11:20 AM
I genuinely hope Sea Ray at least comes by and offers his congratulations after lo these 26 years.

:beerme:

This is how a local writer put it:

There is simply no excuse to have a team arrive at its 12th game of the season — with a bowl bid on the line, no less — and play with so little organization and purpose as the Vols did last Saturday at Kentucky. It was the kind of epic mail-in that might keep the U.S. Postal Service afloat another couple of years.

Why UT didn't give a **** amazes me. If they don't care, why should I?

I'm amazed they squeaked out one SEC win

WVRed
12-03-2011, 11:57 AM
:beerme:

This is how a local writer put it:

Why UT didn't give a **** amazes me. If they don't care, why should I?

I'm amazed they squeaked out one SEC win

Any truth to the rumor Derek Dooley is now on the hot seat? I realize it won't be this year, but if UT doesn't take a major step forward, do you think he is out of a job?

Sea Ray
12-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Any truth to the rumor Derek Dooley is now on the hot seat? I realize it won't be this year, but if UT doesn't take a major step forward, do you think he is out of a job?

Yes. He's got one more year. He'll have enough talent next year to compete in the SEC. If he doesn't make significant improvements he'll be gone at this time next year. Things were going great as of the UC game, then there were injuries and he didn't deal with it well. I understand injuries are tough and all but injuries didn't cause the lackluster effort seem vs UK. That's got to be on the coaching. They will change a few asst ccoaches. They've already forced the WR coach out

WMR
12-03-2011, 08:59 PM
I wonder if they're going to poach Tee Martin, Sea Ray?

Sea Ray
12-04-2011, 01:43 AM
I wonder if they're going to poach Tee Martin, Sea Ray?

You can keep Tee Martin and Randy Sanders. UT can do better

RonDunn95
12-19-2011, 11:32 PM
I will agree to that.

jmac
02-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Nice day today with a couple of late unexpected signees.
I like Towles. Sort of think of Couch watching this:

Patrick Towles Highlights 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vasFLMp_zjk&feature=player_embedded)

Just remembered this is 2011 thread. Duh !

Joseph
02-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Plus we got Mookie Blaylocks twin DBs Zack and Daron.

dabvu2498
02-02-2012, 12:45 AM
There's a kid from my neck of the woods who signed with Big Blue today. Cody Quinn, CB from Middletown High.

I think he's too small to be an SEC CB. He's listed at 5'10 175 but that would appear to be generous.

But I think he makes an impact on special teams, specifically the return game, almost immediately. Seems like a real good kid too. I hope he tears it up down there.

He certainly had some other nice offers on the table, but decided to go to Lexington.

Sea Ray
02-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Recruiting's so tough in the SEC. UK had an OK class but only Vanderbilt and Ole Miss rank lower according to Scout.com. UK got quantity but not quality. No 5 or 4 star athletes. Penn State quality of player based on stars was higher than UK and they had a horrible class for obvious reasons.

My Volunteers lost two recruits due to their issues but it could have been worse. I'll take it. They're now loaded with WRs for our gunslinger QB to fling the ball to

WMR
02-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Those 4 stars haven't been doing much for Dooley and Eww T.

Btw, Towles IS a 4 star...

Sea Ray
02-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Those 4 stars haven't been doing much for Dooley and Eww T.

Btw, Towles IS a 4 star...

Not according to scout:

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=4874259

Of course Tyler Bray was a 3 star recruit and he was better as a freshman than five star recruit Jonathan Crompton was as a senior for UT

WMR
02-02-2012, 12:50 PM
I was going by Rivals... Scout actually ranks UK's class higher than Rivals, strangely.

IDK, it's much more about how they're coached up once they get on campus, something I'm not too confident about with Joker and co.

WVRed
02-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Recruiting's so tough in the SEC. UK had an OK class but only Vanderbilt and Ole Miss rank lower according to Scout.com. UK got quantity but not quality. No 5 or 4 star athletes. Penn State quality of player based on stars was higher than UK and they had a horrible class for obvious reasons.

My Volunteers lost two recruits due to their issues but it could have been worse. I'll take it. They're now loaded with WRs for our gunslinger QB to fling the ball to

Stars is nice, but teams such as Florida State and Texas get top recruits year in and year out. It's what you do with them that ultimately matter.

Living in West Virginia, I follow the Mountaineers as well. They got three four-star recruits and the rest are three star. I have more faith in Dana Holgorsen to get more out of his recruits than I do in Joker Phillips to get the most out of his. It's all in the coaching.

Sea Ray
02-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Stars is nice, but teams such as Florida State and Texas get top recruits year in and year out. It's what you do with them that ultimately matter.

Living in West Virginia, I follow the Mountaineers as well. They got three four-star recruits and the rest are three star. I have more faith in Dana Holgorsen to get more out of his recruits than I do in Joker Phillips to get the most out of his. It's all in the coaching.

Indeed coaching's very important. I think UC has gotten an enormous amount out of their recruits

jmac
02-02-2012, 06:34 PM
One service had UK's class ranked 31st nationally but 11th in SEC.

WMR
02-17-2012, 04:17 AM
I knew you were underselling Tee Martin, Sea Ray. He was hired away yesterday by Southern Cal to assume the same position he occupied at UK (WR Coach). I do think your next staff after Dooley is fired will try to hire him back away from USC. He just destroys it in the south. At UT he would be a recruiting juggernaut. LOL - hopefully he'll stay at USC.

Things continue to look bleaker and bleaker under Joker Phillips.

Seeing Mike Leach at Washington State is just depressing. Maybe we can trade Mitch Barnhardt for Leach??!

The Operator
02-18-2012, 01:08 AM
There's a kid from my neck of the woods who signed with Big Blue today. Cody Quinn, CB from Middletown High. I'm late to the party, but that's pretty cool!

I'm actually from Carlisle, and we rarely if ever send athletes to big college programs, so seeing kids from Middletown and Springboro (they can boast an NFL and an MLB athlete, not bad!) make the next level always makes me happy.

dabvu2498
02-18-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm late to the party, but that's pretty cool!

I'm actually from Carlisle, and we rarely if ever send athletes to big college programs, so seeing kids from Middletown and Springboro (they can boast an NFL and an MLB athlete, not bad!) make the next level always makes me happy.

No way! Hey, Carlisle had an NBA guy. (Bill Edwards -- Although he really wasn't actually from Carlisle. His son, Vince is tearing it up for the Middies on the court now.) I'm a Madison Mohawk myself.

You need to get home and see the Jalin Marshall kid QB for the Middies. He's absurd. Actually you can just youtube him, but you still need to see him in person.

WVRed
02-19-2012, 12:44 AM
I knew you were underselling Tee Martin, Sea Ray. He was hired away yesterday by Southern Cal to assume the same position he occupied at UK (WR Coach). I do think your next staff after Dooley is fired will try to hire him back away from USC. He just destroys it in the south. At UT he would be a recruiting juggernaut. LOL - hopefully he'll stay at USC.

Things continue to look bleaker and bleaker under Joker Phillips.

Seeing Mike Leach at Washington State is just depressing. Maybe we can trade Mitch Barnhardt for Leach??!

UK actually made a better counteroffer in terms of money and he still went with USC. Can hardly blame him though.

What makes it sad though is that Tee is a class guy. I hate seeing him getting mixed up with Lane Kiffin.

jmac
04-21-2012, 08:13 PM
I will let someone else start a 2012 thread but I will say this...according to the pics some have posted on facebook (I have trouble posting pics on this site or I would post one), looks like a very small crowd at the Spring game. I doubt over 2,000. Course there's a lot of factors like weather etc but still....Joker's year 3 not off to a good start attendance wise.

WVRed
04-21-2012, 11:53 PM
I will let someone else start a 2012 thread but I will say this...according to the pics some have posted on facebook (I have trouble posting pics on this site or I would post one), looks like a very small crowd at the Spring game. I doubt over 2,000. Course there's a lot of factors like weather etc but still....Joker's year 3 not off to a good start attendance wise.

Joker has had a lot of players leave the team as well, the latest being Brandon Gainer.

Joseph
04-22-2012, 05:16 PM
No one thinks Joker is a good coach, at least no one that will be objective about it.

But then again its football in a basketball state. Beat a couple rivals early in the season until hoops start and thats good enough.

WMR
04-23-2012, 03:13 AM
I'm afraid they're going to be bad. Hopefully they can at least put together a credible passing attack this season. Spring game looked somewhat promising on that front.

There is a lot of young talent on UK. I'm honestly clueless on what Barnhardt's contingency play is with Joker, or if there even is one. Does 4 wins get Joker canned? They will be underdogs in 9 games.

The next coach could be stepping into a decent situation talent wise, but it also would not surprise me to see Joker win 3-4 games and be retained another season. Unfortunately, I have seen very little out of Joker that makes me believe he is going to be able to get it done on any acceptable level at UK (which is obviously a different standard from the basketball team).

5TimeWSChamps
04-23-2012, 03:56 AM
They are going 2-10 and Joker's done for.

That's why Tee jumped ship.

It's gonna be an awful year

WVRed
04-23-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm afraid they're going to be bad. Hopefully they can at least put together a credible passing attack this season. Spring game looked somewhat promising on that front.

There is a lot of young talent on UK. I'm honestly clueless on what Barnhardt's contingency play is with Joker, or if there even is one. Does 4 wins get Joker canned? They will be underdogs in 9 games.

The next coach could be stepping into a decent situation talent wise, but it also would not surprise me to see Joker win 3-4 games and be retained another season. Unfortunately, I have seen very little out of Joker that makes me believe he is going to be able to get it done on any acceptable level at UK (which is obviously a different standard from the basketball team).

If Matt Roark doesn't become Tim Tebow and end the streak against Tennessee, Joker has an even shorter leash.

I think they win three games this season, none in the SEC, and that is what gets Joker canned. And even then, what is out there? I'm hoping Arkansas hires Charlie Strong so UK can make a run at Gus Malzahn.

LexRedsFan
04-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Honestly...I'm afraid we're going to lose to WKU.

They almost beat us last year, and quite frankly...I'm not convinced that we won't be worse this year.

dabvu2498
04-23-2012, 11:25 PM
If Matt Roark doesn't become Tim Tebow and end the streak against Tennessee, Joker has an even shorter leash.

I think they win three games this season, none in the SEC, and that is what gets Joker canned. And even then, what is out there? I'm hoping Arkansas hires Charlie Strong so UK can make a run at Gus Malzahn.

Arky hired John L. Smith back from Weber St. on an interim basis. They'll probably have a good season and be stuck with him and both Strong and Malzhan will be available.

cumberlandreds
04-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Honestly...I'm afraid we're going to lose to WKU.

They almost beat us last year, and quite frankly...I'm not convinced that we won't be worse this year.

Wouldn't be surprised either. If that happens Joker may as well get the moving vans ready. Really, I can't see UK winning more than 4 games and that's probably a stretch.

Sea Ray
04-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Arky hired John L. Smith back from Weber St. on an interim basis. They'll probably have a good season and be stuck with him and both Strong and Malzhan will be available.

Weber St sure got screwed in all of this. Losing your coach who hasn't even coached a game for you for an interim job?

dabvu2498
04-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Weber St sure got screwed in all of this. Losing your coach who hasn't even coached a game for you for an interim job?

No kidding. You wouldn't think an alumni would do that to you.

Scrap Irony
04-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Word out of Lexington is that this is the make-or-break year for Joker.

No bowl, no job.

No attendance, no job-- even if the team does go to a bowl.

While the first item doesn't surprise me, the second one sure does. And, in some circles, that seems to be the driving force.

Supposedly, Barnhart and company have a short list that starts with... Charlie Strong.

WVRed
04-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Supposedly, Barnhart and company have a short list that starts with... Charlie Strong.

Now THIS surprises me.

I'll admit I dislike Louisville as much as any UK fan, but this isn't basketball we are talking about.

I know Strong wasn't happy about the press coverage of Louisville's spring practices, but what makes you think its going to be any better in Lexington with John Calipari as the head coach? Louisville also has a newer stadium and better practice facilities, which is something Rich Brooks constantly complained about his entire time in Lexington.

If Strong wins the Big East this year and he will have a very good shot at it, he will be in the mix for a better job than Kentucky.

UK needs an up and coming assistant or a head coach at a mid-major school with a gimmick offense that will put fans in the seats. Malzahn makes the most sense, as he has coached in the SEC, but is more likely to take over at Arkansas if the wheels fall off this season.

jmac
04-24-2012, 05:49 PM
If Strong wins the Big East this year and he will have a very good shot at it, he will be in the mix for a better job than Kentucky.

UK needs an up and coming assistant or a head coach at a mid-major school with a gimmick offense that will put fans in the seats. .

Agree with both these points. Strong with any success would bolt from Ky for a better job like he more than likely will from Louisville at some point. I always thought Joker with his Ky ties, would be a good one to stick around for quite awhile spurning other offers. Course I was assuming continuing the winning after he took over where he would actually get offers.

jmac
04-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Joker said the other day...he would like to run 80 offensive plays a game with 45 of them being passes. I really like what I seen of Smith last season. Dont know if that means a redshirt for Towles or not.
Regardless...I see 3 wins and it wouldnt surprise me if they lose one of those 3 non conference "win" games either.

Scrap Irony
04-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Now THIS surprises me.

I'll admit I dislike Louisville as much as any UK fan, but this isn't basketball we are talking about.

I know Strong wasn't happy about the press coverage of Louisville's spring practices, but what makes you think its going to be any better in Lexington with John Calipari as the head coach? Louisville also has a newer stadium and better practice facilities, which is something Rich Brooks constantly complained about his entire time in Lexington.

UK needs an up and coming assistant or a head coach at a mid-major school with a gimmick offense that will put fans in the seats. Malzahn makes the most sense, as he has coached in the SEC, but is more likely to take over at Arkansas if the wheels fall off this season.

Remember, this is Kentucky's wish list, not Strong's.

Were I Barnhart and settled on Strong, I'd argue the following:

1. Here's a boatload of cash. We'll make you the highest paid minority coach in America and one of the top 20.
2. You'll be able to win in short order. UT is in complete disarray. Georgia and Florida have become on-again, off-again mid-tier programs, South Carolina is a shot in the dark, and Vandy is Vandy.
3. If you don't win in short order, we have patience. Lots and lots of patience. Take your time.
4. Seven wins a year would thrill our fan base. More than that will put them over the moon. An SEC East Championship would probably kill both of them.
5. Just kidding about that-- UK fans follow their team to bowl games and are remarkably loyal. Just look at how horrid the team has been in the past and how much the place gets packed. Now imagine a good team!
6. Have I mentioned the cash? And the security?
7. The facilities are both going to get better and a built-in excuse for your first couple of seasons. If you win, the money will come.
8. Kentucky is in the SEC-- if you win here, you'll be a coaching star. Louisville is in the Big East. If you win there, Syracuse fans might know your name. After a few years.
9. Speaking of big time, the media coverage is no contest. You'll be huge in Lexington. And you'll get major pub in all those Southern states wherein you recruit. Which means better players. Which means more wins. Which means more media coverage.
10. Have I mentioned the money? There's a LOT of it.

Now, Kentucky may go smaller and more conservative. Stick with big-name coordinators. Maybe go get an older coach with a little left to prove. But Strong would send a message that the Cats would be serious about football for the first time since Bryant left town in a borrowed Cadillac.

WVRed
04-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Remember, this is Kentucky's wish list, not Strong's.

Were I Barnhart and settled on Strong, I'd argue the following:

[QUOTE]1. Here's a boatload of cash. We'll make you the highest paid minority coach in America and one of the top 20.

This doesn't reflect my opinion, but I do have family in Kentucky and the mentality hasn't changed since Tubby Smith left. I also don't see UK ponying up the money and if they do, there are other improvements that need made to the football program before paying for a new coach.

2. You'll be able to win in short order. UT is in complete disarray. Georgia and Florida have become on-again, off-again mid-tier programs, South Carolina is a shot in the dark, and Vandy is Vandy.

Vandy had some success last year under James Franklin. Pick one of Florida, South Carolina, and Georgia and sit back and watch them get blown out in the SEC Championship by Alabama, LSU, or the SEC West team of your choice.

Not to mention overall talent level. Georgia and Florida both suffer from coaching, but the talent in both states puts Kentucky to shame. If either of them start clicking, thats all it takes.

3. If you don't win in short order, we have patience. Lots and lots of patience. Take your time.

Translation: We don't care about football. Just get us to a bowl game and don't get your feelings hurt when the newsmedia covers John Calipari shaking hands and kissing babies over spring football practice.

4. Seven wins a year would thrill our fan base. More than that will put them over the moon. An SEC East Championship would probably kill both of them.

Note how hard it is to achieve seven wins. Think back to Moneyball where Billy Beane is telling Scott Hatteberg how its not hard to play first base and Ron Washington tells him "It's very hard".

5. Just kidding about that-- UK fans follow their team to bowl games and are remarkably loyal. Just look at how horrid the team has been in the past and how much the place gets packed. Now imagine a good team!

4,500 to a spring practice isn't exactly loyal and this past season was absolutely horrid. As long as the players don't embarrass themselves and the university (and the basketball team isn't playing), UK fans will show up. The moral of the story is that outside of basketball, UK fans are fair weather. If you win and keep us interested, we'll show up and support you. This applies to Womens Hoops and baseball as well, where UK is now no 1 in the nation.

6. Have I mentioned the cash? And the security?

The security comes with accepting the fact that football is second fiddle in the Bluegrass, even if you take us to a BCS game. Cash is nice, but it needs to be spent elsewhere, namely new locker rooms for the players, a new training facility, and upgrades to Commonwealth Stadium.

7. The facilities are both going to get better and a built-in excuse for your first couple of seasons. If you win, the money will come.

As long as its funneled back into the football program....

8. Kentucky is in the SEC-- if you win here, you'll be a coaching star. Louisville is in the Big East. If you win there, Syracuse fans might know your name. After a few years.

No debate on SEC vs Big East in football, but Kentucky vs other SEC schools with openings is very much debatable. Tennessee will be open after this season with the recent GPA releases (1.9) and Dooley's underachievement. John L. Smith is a one year stopgap and Louisville might as well be a AAA team for Arkansas coaches now. Not to mention Strong is from Arkansas. I see Strong as a candidate for both schools before Kentucky and those schools will put football first.

Louisville is also trying to get into the Big 12 as well, although I doubt they will receive any help from its former bretheren in WVU thanks to Mitch McConnell.

9. Speaking of big time, the media coverage is no contest. You'll be huge in Lexington. And you'll get major pub in all those Southern states wherein you recruit. Which means better players. Which means more wins. Which means more media coverage.

The media coverage will be devoted to basketball, same as Louisville.

10. Have I mentioned the money? There's a LOT of it.

Then why hasn't it been invested into the stadium?

KSR posted a video yesterday of a tour of the Oregon locker room. If you wonder why Rich Brooks said UK was seriously lacking in football facilities, that video is legitimate proof as to why.

Now, Kentucky may go smaller and more conservative. Stick with big-name coordinators. Maybe go get an older coach with a little left to prove. But Strong would send a message that the Cats would be serious about football for the first time since Bryant left town in a borrowed Cadillac.

To fans in Lexington, possibly. The problem is with rural fans who will look past nothing but skin color. Not to mention that Strong's calling card is defense, which wins championships, but doesn't put fans in the seats. With his own demons in the Bluegrass State, I see Tennessee or Arkansas being more likely options than Lexington.

I would equate this stage in UK history to the Bill Curry era. We have a top QB prospect within our own state coming in next season, a head coach who is likely on the way out, and whoever does come in next season needs to do something to generate fan interest with basketball riding high. Curry was here during Pitino, whoever gets it will be here in the golden years of Calipari.

Sea Ray
04-30-2012, 11:27 AM
What can you guys tell me about the Seahawk's draft pick, Winston Guy?

George Foster
04-30-2012, 09:08 PM
What can you guys tell me about the Seahawk's draft pick, Winston Guy?

Undersized...warrior...look up his SEC stats. He will make the team and you will be plesently surprised. Seahawks have a winner.

George Foster
04-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Joker said the other day...he would like to run 80 offensive plays a game with 45 of them being passes. I really like what I seen of Smith last season. Dont know if that means a redshirt for Towles or not.
Regardless...I see 3 wins and it wouldnt surprise me if they lose one of those 3 non conference "win" games either.

80 offensive plays??? Seriously? Don't you have to gain 1st downs every now and then to have 80 offensive plays in a game?

I'm a UK fan and the clock is officially ticking on Joker...MAJOR disappointment. This seaon is 3-9

Scrap Irony
05-01-2012, 04:41 PM
80 offensive plays??? Seriously? Don't you have to gain 1st downs every now and then to have 80 offensive plays in a game?

I'm a UK fan and the clock is officially ticking on Joker...MAJOR disappointment. This seaon is 3-9

80 offensive plays would be fairly fun to watch. Certainly would open up the offense, as many UK fans are clamoring for.

I'm betting it doesn't happen.