PDA

View Full Version : Big East Football

Pages : [1] 2

Captain13
09-02-2011, 03:35 PM
West Virginia isn't the only Big East football team with fans on RedsZone. I know there are some UofL fans, UC fans, and probably several others, too.

Is this the season the Big East finally wins some out of conference games? They are 3-0 after day one (I know, really 1-0, Murray and Central NC St shouldn't count).

Can anyone in the BE beat WVU? Can Rutgers win a conference game on the road? Is Syracuse going bowling again? Will USF (or as Joe Theisman called them, UCF) beat Notre Dame? Who will expose UConn? Without Wandstedt to screw up, will Pitt finally win all the games they should? Can UofL win 7 games again? Does UC even care about football?

Football season is here!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

Stray
09-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Nice start for UC.

I think Pead and Collaros are going to have big years.

jredmo2
09-03-2011, 09:48 PM
USF does, eventually, defeat Notre Dame. Afterward, Brian Kelly congratulates his eventual replacement on a well-coached game.

Boston Red
09-03-2011, 10:18 PM
USF does, eventually, defeat Notre Dame. Afterward, Brian Kelly congratulates his eventual replacement on a well-coached game.

If Skip's dumb enough to go to what has become a coaches' graveyard.

Captain13
09-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Only 2 conferences are undefeated in non-conference games. The Big East and the Big 12. It will be slow, but maybe...just maybe...national respect will start to come back to the Big East.

Stray
09-04-2011, 11:44 AM
I have no idea what Tennessee is like this year, but I'll go ahead and make my homer prediction anyway.

UC - 38
Tenn - 27

Scrap Irony
09-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Only 2 conferences are undefeated in non-conference games. The Big East and the Big 12. It will be slow, but maybe...just maybe...national respect will start to come back to the Big East.

BE teams will not only have to beat teams in the regular season, but they'll need BCS bowl wins. Multiple years, in fact.

Then maybe they will win respect.

I'd bet the Big East falls apart before that happens. Heck, the NCAA may fall apart before that happens.

texasdave
09-04-2011, 03:13 PM
nvm

Captain13
09-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Tough week ahead for the Big East. Every opponent is undefeated, several are on the road. I like UC's chances at Tennessee. I'm not convinced UofL will beat FAU.

Boston Red
09-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Tough week ahead for the Big East. Every opponent is undefeated, several are on the road. I like UC's chances at Tennessee. I'm not convinced UofL will beat FAU.

I'm POSITIVE Louisville will not beat FAU this weekend.

Captain13
09-07-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm POSITIVE Louisville will not beat FAU this weekend.

Oops, I'm not convinced Louisville will beat FIU this weekend.

Scrap Irony
09-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Louisville didn't play well last week, but they should handle FIU. Charlie is a really good coach, IMO.

Captain13
09-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Coach Strong is excellent, and the Cards will improve week-to-week and season-to-season but this team is very young and inexperienced. FIU is senior-laden and picked to compete for the Sun Belt title, they beat North Texas by 35 last week. UofL hasn't shown it can score 35 at all. I'm not saying Louisville can't win, I'm just pointing out that this game isn't a walk-over. FIU is much better than Murray St. That said, Go Cards, Go Big East!

SeeinRed
09-08-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet, but here is an article about UC and the Big East (http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/sep/06/john-adams-cincinnati-still-c-usa-at-heart/) written by someone in Knoxville. He is not a fan of UC or the Big East to say the least.

wolfboy
09-09-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet, but here is an article about UC and the Big East (http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/sep/06/john-adams-cincinnati-still-c-usa-at-heart/) written by someone in Knoxville. He is not a fan of UC or the Big East to say the least.

Classy.

Three Tennessee coaches over the last three years have produced records of 5-7, 7-6, 6-7.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

WVRed
09-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Classy.

Three Tennessee coaches over the last three years have produced records of 5-7, 7-6, 6-7.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

It's a garbage website. It was kinda funny because there was a thread on the message board railing on Kentucky and Coach Cal. The very next day it came out about Pearl's recruiting violations and the thread was hijacked by UK posters who saw it from another website.

I do like what Tennessee is doing right now though. Derek Dooley has the Vols on the right track and the jury is out on Cuonzo Martin as basketball coach, but as for fans, there are a few bad apples in every bunch.

wolfboy
09-09-2011, 09:25 PM
It's a garbage website. It was kinda funny because there was a thread on the message board railing on Kentucky and Coach Cal. The very next day it came out about Pearl's recruiting violations and the thread was hijacked by UK posters who saw it from another website.

I do like what Tennessee is doing right now though. Derek Dooley has the Vols on the right track and the jury is out on Cuonzo Martin as basketball coach, but as for fans, there are a few bad apples in every bunch.

The website may be garbage, but the author is the sports editor for the Knoxville News Sentinel. It just seems pretty bush league and petty to me.

KronoRed
09-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Oops, I'm not convinced Louisville will beat FIU this weekend.

Good call.

dougdirt
09-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Great start by the Bearcats against Tennessee. Vols now on offense. Not seeing the Bearcats moving the Oline even a little. It is early, but that concerns me.

Captain13
09-10-2011, 03:46 PM
UofL lost. Rutgers trails late. WVU and Pitt both unimpressive in wins vs. smaller schools.

At least UC scored early.

CTA513
09-10-2011, 03:59 PM
UCs defense might want to show up soon

dougdirt
09-10-2011, 04:16 PM
UCs defense might want to show up soon

It is going to be a shootout. The Bearcats defense can't get any pressure on the QB, who has looked pretty accurate so far. Without the QB being pressured, UC can't cover the receivers.

texasdave
09-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Bearcat defense forces a turnover - fumble recovery by Battle - to halt another Vols trip to the end zone.

CTA513
09-10-2011, 04:37 PM
UC is down 21-14 and just turned the ball over on 4th and 1 at the 50 yard line.

will5979
09-10-2011, 04:39 PM
WVU unimpressive.

:laugh:

Did you watch the same 2nd half I did? Unompressive in the 1st half yes, 2nd half score 45-0.

CTA513
09-10-2011, 04:58 PM
UC stopped again on another 4th and short

CTA513
09-10-2011, 05:08 PM
UC now down 28-14

Caveat Emperor
09-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Horrid playcalling by Jones to try and out-muscle Tennessee for 2 straight 4th and short conversions.

Newsflash, Coach -- even the worst SEC school has bigger, stronger, and faster players than you do. You cannot simply match up with them and go head to head, you have to out scheme them.

The more I see of Butch Jones, the more I realize that he's absolutely not the answer for UC.

wolfboy
09-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Horrid playcalling by Jones to try and out-muscle Tennessee for 2 straight 4th and short conversions.

Newsflash, Coach -- even the worst SEC school has bigger, stronger, and faster players than you do. You cannot simply match up with them and go head to head, you have to out scheme them.

The more I see of Butch Jones, the more I realize that he's absolutely not the answer for UC.

Couldn't agree more. Not impressed with Jones at all.

marcshoe
09-10-2011, 09:28 PM
:laugh:

Did you watch the same 2nd half I did? Unompressive in the 1st half yes, 2nd half score 45-0.

You would have thought no one had ever seen an early season game against Podunk Tech before. This followed the script everybody's seen a million times, and I don't just mean at WVU.

The play by play guy closed with, "Well, it wasn't easy for the Mountaineers."

Seriously. 55-12 wasn't easy.

Benihana
09-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Go Blue! Eff Brian Kelly.

That is all.

Sea Ray
09-14-2011, 09:35 AM

4th and short is a well known weakness of the spread. A spread team probably does need to throw on those downs but that's not generally what you want to see. Hopefully Jones will realize that he has a spread team and coach accordingly in the future

Actually, I thought UC looked pretty good and I think they'll do well in Big East competition. They were a step slow vs UT and the Vols offense was well coached and has a QB with a rocket arm, yet the UC defenders were just a step short. This Vos team is better than we've seen in many years. As the year goes on, UC's loss will not look so bad

Captain13
09-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Another Big Weekend for the Big East. Five games vs. AQ teams, and they are all winnable (and; unfortunately, losable). If the Big East plays like it did last week, it will once again be the laughing-stock of college football. This is getting hard watch and defend as a Big East fan.

Sea Ray
09-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Another Big Weekend for the Big East. Five games vs. AQ teams, and they are all winnable (and; unfortunately, losable). If the Big East plays like it did last week, it will once again be the laughing-stock of college football. This is getting hard watch and defend as a Big East fan.

Take some tips from the Big Ten fans. They're good at defending sub par play in non conference games.

Slyder
09-16-2011, 09:09 PM
UConn tonight looks like your typical Paulie Pasq team. Good defense and cant do jack with the ball.

Boston Red
09-17-2011, 09:24 AM
The Big East is awful. As a Louisville fan, I'm sad that my team is (a) contributing to the suck and (b) cannot take advantage of it to garner some cheap BCS appearances (see, e.g., UConn 2011 Fiesta Bowl).

Stray
09-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Well at least we've established that UC is plenty good enough to destroy REALLY bad football teams.

Sea Ray
09-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Well at least we've established that UC is plenty good enough to destroy REALLY bad football teams.

I think UC is pretty good and will do well in Big East play. They'll go as far as their defense can take them

Caveat Emperor
09-18-2011, 11:37 AM
The goal now should be to win the final Big East Championship trophy, so you can claim to be the champion for the rest of time.

marcshoe
09-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Should the title of this thread be changed to "The Conference Formerly Known as the Big East Football" or maybe "Vacant"?

Captain13
09-19-2011, 12:41 PM
The Big East had a mediocre weekend on the field (my Cards got a big win), but that is no longer as important as realignment. Ugh!

nmculbreth
09-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Nice win for the Cats...

jredmo2
09-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Maybe Bill Simmons will stump for UC to not get left out of the shuffle, since UC is his favorite team.

@sportsguy33 Bill Simmons
I finally have a favorite college football team: Cincy plays the "Halloween" theme when they need a stop on D at home. SOLD!

Stray
09-23-2011, 12:28 AM
That was a big win for UC. To do that on national tv to another BCS school is awesome, even if NC State sucks.

Slyder
09-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Rumor out of New Jersey and various sources on twitter...

I get my wish of WVU to SEC announcement this weekend.

Another rumor is Louisville to the Big 12 what that means to me is they are almost certainly going back to 12.

Boston Red
09-26-2011, 11:12 PM
The Big East bumped the ACC for the #5 spot among the 6 BCS conferences this week according to Jeff Sagarin. The ACC had an absolutely atrocious weekend with Miami losing to K-State, NC State getting drilled by UC, Maryland getting thumped by Temple (!) and UVA losing to USM. The funny thing is that moving Pitt and Syracuse over to the ACC column in the rankings actually widens the Big East's lead in the rankings.

marcshoe
09-29-2011, 03:54 AM
The Big East bumped the ACC for the #5 spot among the 6 BCS conferences this week according to Jeff Sagarin. The ACC had an absolutely atrocious weekend with Miami losing to K-State, NC State getting drilled by UC, Maryland getting thumped by Temple (!) and UVA losing to USM. The funny thing is that moving Pitt and Syracuse over to the ACC column in the rankings actually widens the Big East's lead in the rankings.

Is it wrong that this made me laugh out loud? :lol: Probably, but I might as well laugh now; things could be about to get very, very bad.

Mutaman
09-29-2011, 04:22 AM
I'm a big time Marquette fan and Im a bit worried as to what the demise of the Big East will mean to their future. My advise to Marquette- find 20 guys on campus and form a football team. You can't be any worse than Syracuse.
Then join the ACC. :)

wolfboy
09-29-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm a big time Marquette fan and Im a bit worried as to what the demise of the Big East will mean to their future. My advise to Marquette- find 20 guys on campus and form a football team. You can't be any worse than Syracuse.

Wait, isn't that what Villanova did? :D

WVRed
09-29-2011, 05:37 PM

A suggestion was made in another thread that I like.

The basketball only Catholic schools in the Big East (minus Notre Dame) should band together and form their own basketball only conference and add other Catholic schools (Xavier)

Marquette
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Providence
DePaul
Villanova
St Johns
Xavier

It would be a small conference, but not too geographically taxing and would provide some great basketball.

Slyder
09-30-2011, 11:35 PM
UConn seems to have called this meeting of the football presidents Sunday. First rumors from Sporting News is that its to vote on Temple being invited for all sports. Others are saying its a call to tie up any loose ends on a mass exodus of the Big East:

WVU to SEC
UC, Louisville, TCU, USF to Big 12
UConn and Rutgers to ACC or Big 10.

And thus making the buyout and waiting period a moot point as there will be no big east football if the mass exodus is true.

Stray
10-02-2011, 12:32 PM
After seeing Pitt, USF, and WVU play this year I don't think any of them are head and shoulders better than Cincinnati. It'd be nice to win the conference again.

Captain13
10-14-2011, 04:50 PM
I think WVU is the best by a large margin. After that, I see 7 teams that are all capable of beating/losing to every team in the conference.

Boston Red
10-14-2011, 08:02 PM
I think WVU is the best by a large margin. After that, I see 7 teams that are all capable of beating/losing to every team in the conference.

Maybe 6. Unfortunately I think Louisville is worst by a relatively wide margin. Hope I'm wrong, but I'll be pretty surprised if Louisville wins more than 2 league games.

Reds4Life
10-14-2011, 08:07 PM
UConn seems to have called this meeting of the football presidents Sunday. First rumors from Sporting News is that its to vote on Temple being invited for all sports. Others are saying its a call to tie up any loose ends on a mass exodus of the Big East:

WVU to SEC
UC, Louisville, TCU, USF to Big 12
UConn and Rutgers to ACC or Big 10.

And thus making the buyout and waiting period a moot point as there will be no big east football if the mass exodus is true.

WVU isn't going to the SEC. They have no TV market, no recruiting base, horrible academics and a fan base that has a dismal national reputation. People can keep dreaming, but it's not going to happen.

Slyder
10-14-2011, 09:09 PM
WVU isn't going to the SEC. They have no TV market, no recruiting base, horrible academics and a fan base that has a dismal national reputation. People can keep dreaming, but it's not going to happen.

TV market I grant you besides the fact we get more of Pittsburgh than Pitt does and a share of DC. Not to mention most of the SEC was built on such outstanding TV markets!

Yes Maryland, Tidewater (Va), Ohio, Western Pa, Jersey don't ever produce anything for Division 1 football.

Dismal National Reputation? I saw an article (don't have a link) that we were top 20 in highest merchandise sales in the nation.

Stray
10-15-2011, 01:01 PM
UC's O-Line is terrible. The RT just completely whiffed and gave up a sack. I get getting beat every now and then, but how can you just totally miss a guy that's coming at you?

dougdirt
10-15-2011, 01:04 PM
UC's O-Line is terrible. The RT just completely whiffed and gave up a sack. I get getting beat every now and then, but how can you just totally miss a guy that's coming at you?

Very carefully....

This game has been tough to watch though.

Stray
10-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah you just gotta wonder what Collaros could do with a real line to protect him. Every single time he drops back he's having to avoid the rush before he plants his back foot.

dougdirt
10-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Ew.

Stray
10-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Well Collaros looks like he got hurt and now Louisville is driving in reverse. Should be a good finish.

Stray
10-15-2011, 02:55 PM
It's looking like Louisville's best chance at a go ahead touchdown will be by punting the ball to us.

Boston Red
10-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Watching Louisville is painful. That offense is a wreck.

texasdave
10-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Into the fourth quarter - Louisville up a little, Syracuse up a lot. Two undefeateds trailing.

Slyder
10-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Into the fourth quarter - Louisville up a little, Syracuse up a lot. Two undefeateds trailing.

Just one of those nights that everything Marrone calls turns to gold. The defense showed its youth, the oline played like crap, and the morons on the field in the stripes thought WVU was the one leaving for the ACC with some of the pure garbage personal foul calls while the same level wasn't given to Syracuse.

Stray
10-22-2011, 03:49 PM
That was a crazy UC vs. USF game. HUGE drive by Collaros for the win.

texasdave
10-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Back and forth struggle ends up in the Bearcats favor by a count of 37-34. S. Florida scores a TD with about a minute and a half to go to give the Bulls the lead, but Collaros and the Cats come right back and score with 12 seconds to go. A crazy final play but UC hangs on.

GAC
10-22-2011, 04:04 PM
That Bearcat game was an awesome game to watch; but what about the N. Illinois-Buffalo game, and especially the ending? Buffalo was down by 17 and came storming back in the 4th. Down 31-24 they score the tying TD with only 14 seconds left and the kicker misses the xtra point, and they lose 31-30. Wow! I really feel sorry for that kid.

Slyder
10-22-2011, 04:11 PM
That Bearcat game was an awesome game to watch; but what about the N. Illinois-Buffalo game, and especially the ending? Buffalo was down by 17 and came storming back in the 4th. Down 31-24 they score the tying TD with only 14 seconds left and the kicker misses the xtra point, and they lose 31-30. Wow! I really feel sorry for that kid.

Too bad they didn't have the idiots from Syracuse/Toledo calling that game or else theyd be in overtime!

Sea Ray
10-23-2011, 01:48 PM
This thing's really setting up nicely for UC but they've got a lot of tough games yet to play. The fun thing is now, for us fans, is those games mean something

texasdave
10-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Back in the Top 25 for the Bearcats.

Moving into the rankings this week along with Texas Tech were No. 20 Southern California, No. 21 Penn State and No. 24 Cincinnati, which is ranked for the first time this season.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/10/23/ap.poll.ap/index.html#ixzz1bdTCPl6b

Spider Tre
10-23-2011, 11:32 PM
feels good seeing UC back in the Top 25

more polls: http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings
BCS 25: NR; AP 25: 24th; USA Today 25: 23rd; ESPNU Fan 25: NR

texasdave
10-30-2011, 05:11 PM
The final five were Southern California, Georgia Tech, Cincinnati, West Virginia and Auburn.

Up to number 23 this week.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/10/30/ap.poll.week.10.ap/index.html#ixzz1cIlZ6dtu

Caveat Emperor
11-01-2011, 02:56 PM
The presidents of the Big East Conference schools voted unanimously today to authorize commissioner John Marinatto to extend invitations to six schools in an attempt to re-stock the league’s membership and save its automatic qualifier BCS status. The schools expected to be invited are Central Florida, Houston and SMU for all sport, along with Boise State, Air Force and Navy for football only.

In other news, Big East football to begin negotiations for their own YouTube channel to show compelling Big East matchups such as Rutgers v. Navy or the soon-to-be-annual "Florida Commuter School Showdown" between Central Florida and South Florida.

What a joke. Marinatto may be the most incompetent figure in sports today, and that's saying something.

nmculbreth
11-01-2011, 05:21 PM
In other news, Big East football to begin negotiations for their own YouTube channel to show compelling Big East matchups such as Rutgers v. Navy or the soon-to-be-annual "Florida Commuter School Showdown" between Central Florida and South Florida.

What a joke. Marinatto may be the most incompetent figure in sports today, and that's saying something.

While I'm not disputing the fact that Marinatto is in over his head, exactly what kind of alternative does he have going forward other than letting the football part of the conference completely disintegrate?

In all honesty, who else would you look to add? Nobody is leaving another BCS conference so the conference is basically forced to pick from the best of the rest and adding Boise State, Houston et al. is probably the best case scenario. UCF and SMU probably aren't currently BCS-caliber schools right now, but then again neither were UC or USF before they got invited to the Big East. If you're going to try to pick two schools who could improve exponentially with the added exposure of playing in a better conference, they seem like pretty decent options.

Slyder
11-01-2011, 06:02 PM
While I'm not disputing the fact that Marinatto is in over his head, exactly what kind of alternative does he have going forward other than letting the football part of the conference completely disintegrate?

In all honesty, who else would you look to add? Nobody is leaving another BCS conference so the conference is basically forced to pick from the best of the rest and adding Boise State, Houston et al. is probably the best case scenario. UCF and SMU probably aren't currently BCS-caliber schools right now, but then again neither were UC or USF before they got invited to the Big East. If you're going to try to pick two schools who could improve exponentially with the added exposure of playing in a better conference, they seem like pretty decent options.

Would the ncaa let the conglomeration absorb the big east bid? 32 teams (4 8 team "pods") or 36 (3 12 team "pods") division champs play each other in a "semi" then the following week a "championship" to offset loss of a regular game each pod plays its equal of another pod? Just an idea.

Slyder
11-01-2011, 07:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7101780/source-big-east-sends-invites-five-schools-hike-exit-fee

If the Big East already has these teams lined up why hold the others captive? It be a waste of money on teams that won't be there to rebuild. Could you imagine the jokes if they held all the teams to the 27 months and WVU "upset" Boise and took the BcS bid on its way out the door?

paintmered
11-01-2011, 09:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7101780/source-big-east-sends-invites-five-schools-hike-exit-fee

If the Big East already has these teams lined up why hold the others captive? It be a waste of money on teams that won't be there to rebuild. Could you imagine the jokes if they held all the teams to the 27 months and WVU "upset" Boise and took the BcS bid on its way out the door?

WVU signed on the dotted line for the 27 months rule. I suspect they'll be in the Big XII next season, but it will be on the Big East's terms. Maybe the folks in Morgantown should look under those couch cushions for some spare change to support the cause before setting them ablaze.

Pitt and Syracuse aren't being held captive. But they aren't trying to get out early, either.

Slyder
11-01-2011, 10:08 PM
WVU signed on the dotted line for the 27 months rule. I suspect they'll be in the Big XII next season, but it will be on the Big East's terms. Maybe the folks in Morgantown should look under those couch cushions for some spare change to support the cause before setting them ablaze.

Pitt and Syracuse aren't being held captive. But they aren't trying to get out early, either.

Again I ask, what does the big east gain by making them honor the 27 months? Marinatto the Moron was quoted as saying that the 27 months was based on a June notice and that 2014 would be the soonest any of the teams could leave. What does the Big East really gain if its true and all these teams (especially Boise once they get their olympic sports situated somewhere) are ready to come for next year regardless besides leaving openings for more embarrassment (Example WVU, Syracuse, or Pitt winning the conference heading out the door next year)?

Teams want to come thats great move on from the teams wanting to move on.

I have only limited legal experience but would letting TCU out of the 27 months, appointing ND as head of football expansion (even though they aren't a member for football), potential interference by the other non-football members rise up to breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract?

Can an employer make you work for him for a set period of time if you find a better job elsewhere?

WVRed
11-01-2011, 10:37 PM
I have only limited legal experience but would letting TCU out of the 27 months, appointing ND as head of football expansion (even though they aren't a member for football), potential interference by the other non-football members rise up to breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract?

If I am a fan of any school in the Big East, I would be furious over the bolded part.

If Notre Dame joins the Big East in all sports, then WVU, Miami, and Virginia Tech are still likely in the conference. Notre Dame's presence allows the Big East to garner a lucrative TV deal, making it the most attractive conference.

As for WVU "upsetting" Boise, I don't see Boise or Houston being the savior of that conference anymore than TCU was. Once Kellen Moore and Case Keenum move on, a return to earth is more likely, just like TCU this season with Andy Dalton.

Slyder
11-01-2011, 10:46 PM
If I am a fan of any school in the Big East, I would be furious over the bolded part.

If Notre Dame joins the Big East in all sports, then WVU, Miami, and Virginia Tech are still likely in the conference. Notre Dame's presence allows the Big East to garner a lucrative TV deal, making it the most attractive conference.

As for WVU "upsetting" Boise, I don't see Boise or Houston being the savior of that conference anymore than TCU was. Once Kellen Moore and Case Keenum move on, a return to earth is more likely, just like TCU this season with Andy Dalton.

I'm not saying that Boise is going to be the savior but just putting up a scenario which could happen just insert any of the new teams in there and why I ask what good comes from making teams who no longer want to be there to stay there? You're opening yourself up to more bs and problems (especially if the rumors are true about the 5 other schools joining).

And I would go so far as to say if ND joined for football Penn State might have come home and then a conference with Penn State, Miami, WVU, Va Tech, and Notre Dame as the cornerstones? I guarentee the ACC would be in no position to do jack squat.

KronoRed
11-01-2011, 11:13 PM
I think ND is more likely to join the Big12 in all but football then be forced into a swirling down the drain football conference.

Slyder
11-01-2011, 11:35 PM
I think ND is more likely to join the Big12 in all but football then be forced into a swirling down the drain football conference.

We are talking they joined back before the first ACC raid, not now.

paintmered
11-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Again I ask, what does the big east gain by making them honor the 27 months? Marinatto the Moron was quoted as saying that the 27 months was based on a June notice and that 2014 would be the soonest any of the teams could leave. What does the Big East really gain if its true and all these teams (especially Boise once they get their olympic sports situated somewhere) are ready to come for next year regardless besides leaving openings for more embarrassment (Example WVU, Syracuse, or Pitt winning the conference heading out the door next year)?

Teams want to come thats great move on from the teams wanting to move on.

Can an employer make you work for him for a set period of time if you find a better job elsewhere?

The 27 months protects the remaining schools by ensuring they have a full schedule (and the revenues they generate) during the period of transition. If the replacement schools are ready to go for 2012, my guess is that things will become easier for WVU to head for the exits. But that has to happen before WVU gets their release.

And let's stop pretending like the Big East are the bad guys here. They're incompetent but they aren't the ones responsible for putting WVU in this situation. The only reason why WVU needs out the door yesterday is because their Big XII invite is contingent on them playing next season. They knew the risk and decided to make the decision anyways. The Big East has them over a barrel due to their lack of diligence, and WVU has nobody to blame but themselves for whatever penalties they incur as a result.

Also, TCU wasn't held to the 27 months rule because they never officially joined the Big East.

Slyder
11-02-2011, 12:07 AM
And let's stop pretending like the Big East are the bad guys here. They're incompetent but they aren't the ones responsible for putting WVU in this situation. The only reason why WVU needs out the door yesterday is because their Big XII invite is contingent on them playing next season. They knew the risk and decided to make the decision anyways. The Big East has them over a barrel due to their lack of diligence, and WVU has nobody to blame but themselves for whatever penalties they incur as a result.

Also, TCU wasn't held to the 27 months rule because they never officially joined the Big East.

Their ineptitude and failure of leadership is precisely why we are at this point that WVU feels it must leave the big east now for the good of the program. If the Big East's office gave an iota about the football side of the equation we would not be sitting here. We shall see, I don't have enough legal training to break this down but TCU (according to rumors) was taking an awfully active role in meetings before the big 12 invited them to be let out without the 27 months could (depending on which legal eagles you listen to) have been a precedent.

When they expanded to 16 for basketball I thought it was just a means to spin off football into its own entity without leaving the basketball schools over a barrel itself but failure to address the concerns of Miami led to the departure of Syracuse, Pitt, and TCU which in turn is going to be argued invalidates the 27 month agreement because the parties that signed were not the same.

Boston Red
11-02-2011, 12:27 AM
1) TCU was very differently situated than WV (I don't think I need to explain that), and just about any contract you pick up is going to have a clause stating that a waiver granted one time does not waive a party's right to enforce that same right later. So I don't think there's much to the argument that the Big East's waiver of the waiting period for TCU helps WV's case.

2) WV's arguments that being in the Big East is now commercially impractical are silly since it will be the same membership as when they signed up. Pitt and Syracuse aren't going anywhere, and a court's not going to save you from your own bad deal when the circumstances have not really changed (by the time Syracuse and Pitt are gone, WV will be free to go, too).

3) Incompetence is not a breach of fiduciary duties. That's pretty meritless.

4) An employer cannot force you to keep working at a job if you find a better one, but in certain circumstances (valid, narrowly tailored non-compete that was accompanied by adequate consideration), an employer can keep you from working for someone else.

5) Houston may soon fall to earth. Boise State is something silly like 125-30 since joining I-A. They're not exactly a flash in the pan, and they're not likely going anywhere. They may not be in the top 5 every year going forward, but they're likely to be good enough to be an upper-half team in every BCS league most years.

KronoRed
11-02-2011, 12:54 AM
We are talking they joined back before the first ACC raid, not now.

Whoops, makes more sense.

WVRed
11-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Their ineptitude and failure of leadership is precisely why we are at this point that WVU feels it must leave the big east now for the good of the program. If the Big East's office gave an iota about the football side of the equation we would not be sitting here. We shall see, I don't have enough legal training to break this down but TCU (according to rumors) was taking an awfully active role in meetings before the big 12 invited them to be let out without the 27 months could (depending on which legal eagles you listen to) have been a precedent.

When they expanded to 16 for basketball I thought it was just a means to spin off football into its own entity without leaving the basketball schools over a barrel itself but failure to address the concerns of Miami led to the departure of Syracuse, Pitt, and TCU which in turn is going to be argued invalidates the 27 month agreement because the parties that signed were not the same.

I posted this in the WVU thread but I really don't see this making it to court. Its trying to get public sentiment in WVU's favor and singling out the leadership (or lack thereof) in the Big East Conference. If there is enough backlash, WVU will get out of the conference and that is what they are banking on.

If it does make it to court, WVU will win as the trial will likely be in Morgantown or Charleston but if it makes it to an appeals court out of state, it will be overturned.

If I am Marianotto, the wildcard for me is a guy who I wouldn't have ever thought to mention, but Oliver Luck. Luck is probably the sharpest mind for WVU and I have said I have thought Luck could run the conference better than Marianotto. However, Luck has also played both sides of the fence in conference discussions and a lot of his past quotes could be used against him and WVU if the Big East wanted to go that route.

Slyder
11-02-2011, 09:38 PM
I posted this in the WVU thread but I really don't see this making it to court. Its trying to get public sentiment in WVU's favor and singling out the leadership (or lack thereof) in the Big East Conference. If there is enough backlash, WVU will get out of the conference and that is what they are banking on.

If it does make it to court, WVU will win as the trial will likely be in Morgantown or Charleston but if it makes it to an appeals court out of state, it will be overturned.

If I am Marianotto, the wildcard for me is a guy who I wouldn't have ever thought to mention, but Oliver Luck. Luck is probably the sharpest mind for WVU and I have said I have thought Luck could run the conference better than Marianotto. However, Luck has also played both sides of the fence in conference discussions and a lot of his past quotes could be used against him and WVU if the Big East wanted to go that route.

Luck was cautious with his mincing of words. Almost never mentioned the Big East. It was always something like (paraphrasing) we (WVU) will remain relevant on a national scene in football.

WVRed
11-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Rich Rodriguez weighs in (Unless you are a WVU fan, this is priceless):

West Virginia Moving On - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv6H7n68Kr4)

Stray
11-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Cincy and Pitt this weekend, should be good. Haven't heard much, but I think I remember Pitts RB getting injured which can't help their chances. Pitt will be able to throw on us since I'm pretty sure anyone can....UC 31 Pitt 28.

Sea Ray
11-03-2011, 02:02 PM
What channel/time is the game on?

marcshoe
11-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Rich Rodriguez weighs in (Unless you are a WVU fan, this is priceless):

Good to see Rich found work.

HotCorner
11-03-2011, 02:23 PM
What channel/time is the game on?

7PM ESPNU

Stray
11-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Huge win! We're in good position to win the conference now. D played huge in the 2nd half.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

dougdirt
11-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Good win.... but I am still not sold that this team is all that good. The Big East is pretty bad this year and that says a bit. Not that they are a bad team, but I don't think they are all that good either. It seems that Zach Collaros is good for a few "what in the heck were you thinking!?" plays a game. Isiah Pead is a stud though, plain and simple. He will keep them in any game they have left on their schedule.

Boston Red
11-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Maybe 6. Unfortunately I think Louisville is worst by a relatively wide margin. Hope I'm wrong, but I'll be pretty surprised if Louisville wins more than 2 league games.

Sure am glad I was wrong about this. The Cards are playing as well as anyone in the league right now. The future is extremely bright for my Cards.

Stray
11-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Good win.... but I am still not sold that this team is all that good. The Big East is pretty bad this year and that says a bit. Not that they are a bad team, but I don't think they are all that good either. It seems that Zach Collaros is good for a few "what in the heck were you thinking!?" plays a game. Isiah Pead is a stud though, plain and simple. He will keep them in any game they have left on their schedule.

Yeah I agree. I think we're making the plays we need against conference teams, but we could have easily lost a lot of the games we've won. Our pass defense and offensive line will get exposed big time against a really good team.

But yeah, Isaiah Pead is really really good. I think he's gonna have success on Sundays.

dougdirt
11-06-2011, 12:01 PM
But yeah, Isaiah Pead is really really good. I think he's gonna have success on Sundays.

I was talking about that with my friend yesterday while watching the game. I came to the conclusion, that at least for now, I think he could be a guy who gets drafted, but beyond that I am just not sure what happens with him. There are a lot of really good running backs out there.

joshnky
11-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Sure am glad I was wrong about this. The Cards are playing as well as anyone in the league right now. The future is extremely bright for my Cards.

So, I love that Joe Manchin made this quote after the realignment fiasco:

“You know what, Louisville, go back and toughen up a little bit.”

West Virginia's biggest problem is toughness which showed itself yesterday against a team they should have beaten.

On the other side, at one point Louisville had 10 sophomores and freshmen lined up on offense. They're getting better every week and should be dangerous in a bowl with the extra practice time. The future is very bright regardless of conference affiliation.

nmculbreth
11-06-2011, 03:12 PM

Given the expectations going into this year, this season has gone about as well as one could have reasonably expected. They're not great, but then again after what happened last season I don't think anyone was expecting them to be great. The opportunity to finish up 10-2 or 11-1 and make it to another BCS bowl looks pretty darn good to me.

dougdirt
11-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Given the expectations going into this year, this season has gone about as well as one could have reasonably expected. They're not great, but then again after what happened last season I don't think anyone was expecting them to be great. The opportunity to finish up 10-2 or 11-1 and make it to another BCS bowl looks pretty darn good to me.

I agree completely here. I didn't expect much more than a bowl appearance, but now they have me on the edge of my seat each week because I now expect them to win out. Still, they aren't a BCS caliber team IMO. They were the other two seasons they went even though they didn't fare well in those games. This year, they are a good team, but not BCS quality even though they may wind up there because the Big East truly is the Big Least this year.

Stray
11-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Nice start, Pead is a beast.

Stray
11-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Well at least this is going about as bad as possible.

dougdirt
11-12-2011, 01:38 PM
I just hope Collaros is not seriously injured.

Redlegs23
11-12-2011, 01:48 PM
It didn't look good. I'm guessing there's some tears in the knee.

dougdirt
11-12-2011, 02:05 PM
It didn't look good. I'm guessing there's some tears in the knee.

As someone who has blown their knee out three times.... I wouldn't wish such a thing on anyone, so I really hope that isn't true. If there is any tearing, lets hope for some meniscus.

nmculbreth
11-12-2011, 02:37 PM
It's nice to see the Cats showing some fight after losing Collaros...

Stray
11-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Yeah this is turning into a good game. Munchie can't really throw the ball but we're finding a way.

Hoping they lose this challenge so they can be down to 1 TO and we're still in the 3rd quarter.

Stray
11-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Not the best moment for the officials. They have to go to a review to remember what down it is? Seriously?

dougdirt
11-12-2011, 03:49 PM
I don't want to watch this kick.

dabvu2498
11-12-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't want to watch this kick.

Justified.

dougdirt
11-12-2011, 03:53 PM
You know how I knew it would be bad? Colerain is playing St X today. Colerain has missed XP's or short FG's multiple times to lose to them all of my life. Then I see Kerry Coombs (former Colerain coach) talking to the kicker. It was all but a clincher that we weren't making that thing.

nmculbreth
11-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Gross.

A win there would have come darn close to clinching a BCS bowl bid...

hebroncougar
11-13-2011, 10:53 AM
I gotta tell ya, I went to my first UC football game every yesterday. My brother has a great job with adidas, and I had 7th row seats on the 50 yard line. It was horrific. The drunk UC fans fought with the drunk WVU fans the entire game, and I was caught in the middle of it. It was so bad, I left at halftime. It was atrocious. Cops came, warned both sides, to no avail. It was embarassing. I'll never go back.

will5979
11-13-2011, 04:03 PM
I gotta tell ya, I went to my first UC football game every yesterday. My brother has a great job with adidas, and I had 7th row seats on the 50 yard line. It was horrific. The drunk UC fans fought with the drunk WVU fans the entire game, and I was caught in the middle of it. It was so bad, I left at halftime. It was atrocious. Cops came, warned both sides, to no avail. It was embarassing. I'll never go back.

That is the nature of a good rivalry. Can't take the heat get outta the kitchen! Sounds like the atmosphere is too hot for you!

hebroncougar
11-13-2011, 04:40 PM
That is the nature of a good rivalry. Can't take the heat get outta the kitchen! Sounds like the atmosphere is too hot for you!

No, the atmosphere is idiotic. Heck, the guy two seats over from me had a little girl about 7 or 8 that was subjected to morons from both sides screaming some of the most vulgar back and forth language I've heard. Ever.

Stray
11-13-2011, 05:01 PM
College and pro football games have become no place for children. It sucks that it's came to that, but it is like that in a lot of places. I know West Virginia fans have a reputation of being pretty nasty as well.

Jim Rome did a rant on 'Softball Guy' a long time ago. I think there's a lot of those guys at football games...and they're hammered.

hebroncougar
11-13-2011, 05:42 PM
College and pro football games have become no place for children. It sucks that it's came to that, but it is like that in a lot of places. I know West Virginia fans have a reputation of being pretty nasty as well.

Jim Rome did a rant on 'Softball Guy' a long time ago. I think there's a lot of those guys at football games...and they're hammered.

I won't go back. I was astonished that my father and I couldn't sit there and even semi-enjoy the game.

Reds4Life
11-13-2011, 05:43 PM

I gave up my Bengals season tickets several years ago because I was tired of dealing with drunk morons. I don't have kids, but there is no chance in hell I would ever take a child to an NFL game.

There needs to be a serious crackdown on the alcohol consumption at these events. Most of the "fans" are drunk before the game ever starts, it's pathetic.

will5979
11-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Anyone that has kids...DO you guys really believe your kids aren't exposed to this type of behavior/language while attending Jr. High School?

And yes I'm a father myself. I have taken my kids to several games, when exposed to that type of behavior I tell my kids to just ignore the drunks, you'll have that at many football games/races!

Stray
11-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Anyone that has kids...DO you guys really believe your kids aren't exposed to this type of behavior/language while attending Jr. High School?

And yes I'm a father myself. I have taken my kids to several games, when exposed to that type of behavior I tell my kids to just ignore the drunks, you'll have that at many football games/races!

Just my opinion, but teenagers talking about boobs and dropping as many 4 letter words as possible is a little bit different. There's enough violence and idiots at football games for most parents to keep their younger kids away.

dougdirt
11-13-2011, 11:46 PM
I gave up my Bengals season tickets several years ago because I was tired of dealing with drunk morons. I don't have kids, but there is no chance in hell I would ever take a child to an NFL game.

There needs to be a serious crackdown on the alcohol consumption at these events. Most of the "fans" are drunk before the game ever starts, it's pathetic.

I don't drink, never have, never will.... but if I did, I would be drunk before the game starts too, if I were the kind who were to get drunk. You can buy a 12 back for less than the price of three drinks at the game.

Of course the whole culture of football games is a bit ridiculous, IMO.

paintmered
11-14-2011, 12:11 AM

I'm sorry to hear this. I've sworn off going to Bengals games for the same reason. Having missed only three UC home football games in five years, I can honestly say that what you experienced is not the norm for UC home games, except for when WVU comes to town.

One of those games I missed was WVU at Nippert in 2007, but have been to the 2005, 2009 and this weekend's games. All have been horrible environments due to combative drunks and completely opposite to the usual environment. As much as I want to lay this at the hands of the WVU fans, I cannot since it seems fans from both sides were willing to stoop to that level. I'm looking forward to the day when WVU no longer visits Cincinnati, if only because WVU brings out the worst in UC fans.

Consider sending your comments to the Athletic Director: bearcat.ad@uc.edu

wolfboy
11-14-2011, 09:44 AM
No, the atmosphere is idiotic. Heck, the guy two seats over from me had a little girl about 7 or 8 that was subjected to morons from both sides screaming some of the most vulgar back and forth language I've heard. Ever.

Really sorry to hear that hebron. The section I was in had a good mix of West Virginia and UC fans. Everyone got along very well and just enjoyed the game. At the top of my section there was a group of the roughest looking West Virginia fans you could imagine. As we filled out of the stadium, I ended up chatting with one of the guys about how good of a game it was. Nice as could be. I hope your experience was the exception and mine wasn't.

texasdave
11-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Louisville Players Weren’t Prepared For Pitt Because They Were Busy With The New Call Of Duty Game

http://deadspin.com/5859362/louisville-players-werent-prepared-for-pitt-because-they-were-busy-with-the-new-call-of-duty-game

gonelong
11-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Really sorry to hear that hebron. The section I was in had a good mix of West Virginia and UC fans.

Mine too, a little good natured hootin' and hollerin' from both sides, but no really foul language directed at anybody else.

GL

*BaseClogger*
11-19-2011, 11:10 PM
WVU Gooch Tickle - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9jVZLiy2iY)

Homer Bailey
11-20-2011, 01:24 PM
WVU Gooch Tickle - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9jVZLiy2iY)

Hahaha, that guy is a family friend of mine.

*BaseClogger*
11-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Hahaha, that guy is a family friend of mine.

Haha that's why my friend posted it to youtube... his best friend is on the club team here and we're friends with him...

texasdave
11-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Negotiations between the Big East and Brigham Young have broken off and the school will not be joining the conference, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press.The person spoke Tuesday on condition of anonymity because the conference and school have not been making their talks public.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/11/22/byu.big.east.negotiations.ap/index.html#ixzz1eYMkoE6i

texasdave
11-26-2011, 02:19 PM
UConn is spanking Rutgers 37-10 at last count.

marcshoe
11-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/11/22/byu.big.east.negotiations.ap/index.html#ixzz1eYMkoE6i

The Big East still has options. I understand Macquarie University in Sydney is thinking of taking up Gridiron.

Roy Tucker
11-28-2011, 12:01 PM
I think UC is doomed to be a revolving door...

http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20111127/SPT0101/311270047/Reports-UC-s-Butch-Jones-target-coaching-jobs

nmculbreth
11-28-2011, 01:07 PM
I think UC is doomed to be a revolving door...

http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20111127/SPT0101/311270047/Reports-UC-s-Butch-Jones-target-coaching-jobs

Next coach in.

Butch Jones has done a nice job and I'd like him to stick around for awhile, but I trust that if he does leave that UC will be able to find a coach to pick up where he left off and continue building the program. Despite the lack of continuity, I think program has shown a steady improvement under each coaching regime. Dantonio made the program respectable, Brian Kelly made the program relevant on the national stage and Butch Jones has done a nice job parlaying that success to bring in better recruits than UC has ever had.

If Butch were to leave there are plenty of pieces in place to allow the next coach to continue to be successful.

As an aside, I'm curious about how the uncertainty in the Big East will factor into Butch's decision to stay / leave. None of the jobs being mentioned strike me as anything more than a lateral move or a very slight step up the ladder.

Caveat Emperor
11-28-2011, 02:28 PM
As an aside, I'm curious about how the uncertainty in the Big East will factor into Butch's decision to stay / leave. None of the jobs being mentioned strike me as anything more than a lateral move or a very slight step up the ladder.

Probably means a lot -- but, it's not like the rules are changing tomorrow, so he does have some time to make his mind up about where he wants to go.

I'm not a huge Jones fan. I think the Bearcats can do better.

nmculbreth
11-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Probably means a lot -- but, it's not like the rules are changing tomorrow, so he does have some time to make his mind up about where he wants to go.

I tend to agree. There is still a lot of talent coming back for next season and with the quality of the past few recruiting classes you'd think there is a very real opportunity to have another good season and parlay that success to an even better job offer.

It isn't like any of the jobs that he is being mentioned for are plum jobs. UCLA and Illinois strike me as the kind of situations where expectations exceed reality, making them dead-ends jobs for a coach looking to move higher up the ladder.

As I said before, I'd like for Butch to stick around but I don't think his departure would be a massive blow to the program.

Boston Red
11-29-2011, 12:05 AM
I generally cheer for UC, but as a Card fan I have to be a HUGE UConn fan on Saturday! Go Huskies!
Just wish the Cards had taken care of business at home against Pitt!

wolfboy
11-29-2011, 09:32 AM

I tend to agree. I think he's an excellent recruiter, but I have serious questions about everything else.

wolfboy
11-29-2011, 09:37 AM
I'll also add that it amazes me that a guy with a 12-11 record at UC is a serious candidate for anything.

will5979
11-29-2011, 11:21 AM
I really wish the Big XII would take 2 other Big East teams so the Big 12 would actually be the BIg 12! :laugh:

The 2 best programs from the Big East that would fit in nicely with the Big 12 are Cincy and USF.

Captain13
11-29-2011, 04:19 PM
I really wish the Big XII would take 2 other Big East teams so the Big 12 would actually be the BIg 12! :laugh:

The 2 best programs from the Big East that would fit in nicely with the Big 12 are Cincy and USF.

I believe UofL fits better than UC or USF, but especially better than USF. UofL has top quality facilities and top programs other than just football and men's hoops. It is much closer geographically than USF and has fans that show up for games, unlike UC (UofL has had over 20,000 at every home basketball game this year with a schedule that includes Arkansas State and the Ohio Bobcats).

wolfboy
11-29-2011, 05:10 PM
It is much closer geographically than USF and has fans that show up for games, unlike UC (UofL has had over 20,000 at every home basketball game this year with a schedule that includes Arkansas State and the Ohio Bobcats).

There's no disputing that UC's basketball attendance has been awful of late, but a little context helps. Run Pitino out of town with pitchforks and torches and see where your basketball attendance/program is then.

Rant aside, I agree with you - Louisville is a much better fit than USF. WV, Cinci, and Louisville make sense geographically, and have a lot to contribute in both football and basketball.

Boston Red
11-29-2011, 10:57 PM
There's no disputing that UC's basketball attendance has been awful of late, but a little context helps. Run Pitino out of town with pitchforks and torches and see where your basketball attendance/program is then.

Like when Denny Crum was run out of town with pitchforks and torches? And the program never fell out of the top 10 nationally in basketball attendance? Something like that?

wolfboy
11-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Like when Denny Crum was run out of town with pitchforks and torches? And the program never fell out of the top 10 nationally in basketball attendance? Something like that?

Excellent analogy. It's really hard to see why attendance would drop at Cincinnati when they transitioned from Bob Huggins to Andy Kennedy to Mick Cronin, but stay the same or increase at Louisville when they went from Denny Crum to Rick Pitino. :confused:

Captain13
11-30-2011, 12:20 PM
. Run Pitino out of town with pitchforks and torches and see where your basketball attendance/program is then.

Believe me, there are a lot of Card fans who would love for Ole Tricky Rick to be run out of town. The difference is Tom Jurich would NEVER hire Andy Kennedy.

Also, the only reason UofL isn't #1 in attendance is Frankfort wouldn't allow (help pay for) Louisville to build an arena with more seats than Rupp.

medford
11-30-2011, 12:41 PM
I doubt Louisville is in danger of falling to the level of UC's current attendance situation any time soon. I'll use Dayton as an example, Jim O'Brien took them from 2nd round of the NCAA his first season to near the bottom of hell to the point where everyone from the Great Midwest EXCEPT Dayton was included in the reformed C-USA. Can't hardly blame them when UD was failing to win double digit games a couple of years in a row. Yet, UD still managed to average over 10k in attendance every season.

similar to UD, Louisville basketball is the king of the town. The nearest pro teams are an hour + away, making basketball the place to be, the place to be seen wednesday nights during the season, especially with a program with such a long history of success. Louisville loves its cardinals.

UC is different, not only does it compete for eyeballs w/ those more interested in the Bengals and Reds, but it also competes in its own city for attention with Xavier. They both get the pull of UK directly to the south, both have B10 basketball powers taking some pull to the north (IU & OSU respectively), but UC has additional competition for eyeballs w/ UD's 10k+ in the territory.

On top of the increased competition, UC had a fairly large down period IIRC. Prior to Huggins, UC wasn't UC pretty bad for a fairly long time? That kind of down period creates an entire lost generation of graduates and people growing up in the area who found other teams to root for. They were Huggins fans primarily, not UC fans. Thanks to Denny Crum, there isn't a generation of Louisville graduates or locals who turned to other teams b/c Louisville was hopeless.

I would have thought UC's basketball attendance would have come back a bit, I'm surprised its so down, seems like once people figured out they could live w/o going, they haven't been enticed to come back. Mic's done a solid job, but its not like he's blowing the doors of the place like Huggins did his first couple of years. I'm not a fan of either UC nor XU (UD grad), but I get the sense that it was "cool" to be a UC fan in the mid 90s. Now its more "cool" to be an XU or UK fan in the area. The Bengals have been respectable more or less since the turn of the century, UC didn't have the competition w/ the putrid Bengals of the 90s at Huggins peak.

On top of that, 5/3 arena in my opinion, is a terrible place to watch basketball. UC could benefit greatly from a basketball 1st arena the way Xavier has.

wolfboy
11-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Believe me, there are a lot of Card fans who would love for Ole Tricky Rick to be run out of town. The difference is Tom Jurich would NEVER hire Andy Kennedy.

Also, the only reason UofL isn't #1 in attendance is Frankfort wouldn't allow (help pay for) Louisville to build an arena with more seats than Rupp.

FWIW, Kennedy wasn't hired as head coach, he was just the interim coach for '05-06 when Huggins was let go.

As to your original point, UC will never approach what Louisville draws in basketball attendance, but it is still an attractive basketball program. Although football is driving the conference realignment bus, UC's basketball program has to be a check in the plus column.

dougdirt
11-30-2011, 07:49 PM
The reason people stopped following UC is simple.... Nancy Zimpher. She ruined a great basketball program because Bob was fooling around with someone's wife and that someone had a lot of money and influence at UC. What happened was a large chunk of the fans stopped following and caring until she was gone, and while she is now gone, those fans have long since found another team to root for or simply don't root for anyone at all. They aren't going to get those fans back. Toss in several below standard years after Kennedy was run out of town and you lost some more fans.

Caveat Emperor
12-01-2011, 12:46 AM
The reason people stopped following UC is simple.... Nancy Zimpher. She ruined a great basketball program because Bob was fooling around with someone's wife and that someone had a lot of money and influence at UC. What happened was a large chunk of the fans stopped following and caring until she was gone, and while she is now gone, those fans have long since found another team to root for or simply don't root for anyone at all. They aren't going to get those fans back. Toss in several below standard years after Kennedy was run out of town and you lost some more fans.

Cincinnati fans are fantastic about making excuses -- but the reality of the situation is that a public university w/ an enrollment of 31,000+, in a metro area of 2.1 million people should be able to sell a lot more tickets than they do.

Huggins has been gone for 6 years. It's time for people to start getting over it.

WMR
12-01-2011, 05:15 AM

:lol: Good one.

WVRed
12-01-2011, 03:36 PM

I don't want to involve UK debate in this thread (already doing it on the Ohio State thread), so heres my response in the UK thread.

http://redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2506575#post2506575

Homer Bailey
12-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Someone watch the video of the "touchdown" just given to USF, and try to explain to me that the fix isn't in against WVU.

Stray
12-01-2011, 10:40 PM
USF seems determined to figure out that fade from the 3 yard line. What horrible play calling.

Homer Bailey
12-01-2011, 10:46 PM
The officiating in this game is absolutely 100% unexplainable.

Stray
12-01-2011, 11:09 PM
The Bearcats still have a shot. USF up 7 in the 4th quarter.

Stray
12-01-2011, 11:28 PM
USF is killing me haha. It's so hard to root for a team that is constantly finding ways to screw things up.

Stray
12-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Well thanks for nothing South Florida. At least they're consistent with making enough mistakes to lose. I dunno who coaches them, but they don't resemble a well coached team in any way.

Caveat Emperor
12-01-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm a Bearcats fan, but I'm going to be totally happy with a loss on Saturday because it will deny the hillbillies a shot at representing the Big East in a BCS bowl.

They're suing to leave, but happy to take the bowls lot and media coverage. Screw that.

will5979
12-01-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm a Bearcats fan, but I'm going to be totally happy with a loss on Saturday because it will deny the hillbillies a shot at representing the Big East in a BCS bowl.

They're suing to leave, but happy to take the bowls lot and media coverage. Screw that.

Screw you and your $hitty skyline chilli.

GO MOUNTAINEERS!!!

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2011, 12:22 AM
I'd rather have a team that's part of the Big East representing the conference as opposed to a team that's engaging in litigation AGAINST the conference as the representative.

Give the Mounties a free national TV game to help their B12 recruiting? No way.

Homer Bailey
12-02-2011, 12:31 AM
I'd rather have a team that's part of the Big East representing the conference as opposed to a team that's engaging in litigation AGAINST the conference as the representative.

Give the Mounties a free national TV game to help their B12 recruiting? No way.

Because UC has been such a strong endorsement for the Big East in BCS games.

The Big East might not have AQ status if it wasn't for WVU. And WVU had zero choice but to leave the Big East after what Pitt and Syracuse pulled.

Homer Bailey
12-02-2011, 12:33 AM
That being said:

Let's Go UC - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DYLz3-Cjuo)

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Because UC has been such a strong endorsement for the Big East in BCS games.

The Big East might not have AQ status if it wasn't for WVU. And WVU had zero choice but to leave the Big East after what Pitt and Syracuse pulled.

It absolutely had a choice. It made the choice that best fit it's situation. Good for them. They'll have to bring in a few pickups full of mattresses and burning couches to store all the money they'll be making in the Big 12.

As a result, I don't want to see them representing the Big East in the BCS -- even if it means a Cincinnati loss on Saturday. Sorry, they aren't conference members any longer as far as I'm concerned and I don't want them using the conference's AQ slot to benefit themselves financially and on the field.

Look at it this way -- it'll be good for WVU to go to a mid-tier bowl. Gotta get the fans amped up for those games considering they'll never see a BCS bowl again once they have to start competing with Texas, Oklahoma, and Okie "T. Boone Pickens" State every year. :)

Homer Bailey
12-02-2011, 12:57 AM
It absolutely had a choice. It made the choice that best fit it's situation. Good for them. They'll have to bring in a few pickups full of mattresses and burning couches to store all the money they'll be making in the Big 12.

As a result, I don't want to see them representing the Big East in the BCS -- even if it means a Cincinnati loss on Saturday. Sorry, they aren't conference members any longer as far as I'm concerned and I don't want them using the conference's AQ slot to benefit themselves financially and on the field.

Look at it this way -- it'll be good for WVU to go to a mid-tier bowl. Gotta get the fans amped up for those games considering they'll never see a BCS bowl again once they have to start competing with Texas, Oklahoma, and Okie "T. Boone Pickens" State every year. :)

Truthfully, I don't blame you at all for the way you feel. I just don't think its reasonable at all to expect WVU to stay in the Big East after what happened with Pitt and Syracuse.

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Truthfully, I don't blame you at all for the way you feel. I just don't think its reasonable at all to expect WVU to stay in the Big East after what happened with Pitt and Syracuse.

And honestly, I'd be a lot less hostile if they weren't acting like a bunch of entitled DBs and suing the conference to be let out early.

Pitt's waiting. Syracuse is waiting. WVU thinks they're special.

Hence: Screw 'em.

Boston Red
12-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Lay down on Saturday UC. C'mon, take one for the team! We can't have WV representing the Big East in the Orange Bowl!

will5979
12-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Whooooooo!

Feels good to be the hated ones again, when people boo and hate you, you know you're the man!

And ta be tha man, ya gotta beat tha man, Cincy failed to do so!

medford
12-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Whooooooo!

Feels good to be the hated ones again, when people boo and hate you, you know you're the man!

And ta be tha man, ya gotta beat tha man, Cincy failed to do so!

So, are you still the man if UC losses this weekend? Just asking.

Boston Red
12-02-2011, 08:48 AM
None of the three really beat the man, since they're all 1-1 against each other. Unless of course UC loses. Then Louisville will be the man, because they'll have beaten the man.

WVRed
12-02-2011, 09:35 AM

You know, I seem to remember a former WVU coach suing to be let out of his contract early. And the answer WVU gave was "A contract is a contract"

http://www.cbssports.com/images/collegefootball/rich-rod-thumbs-up1.jpg

I think he said the same thing after WVU sued to get out of the conference:

College Football - West Virginia Moving On - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv6H7n68Kr4&feature=relmfu)

Sea Ray
12-02-2011, 09:40 AM
It's fine if WV wants to leave the Big East but why can't they do it w/i the rules? Why do lawsuits have to be part of the process?

Sea Ray
12-02-2011, 10:19 AM
The South Florida coching was atrocious. They couldn't seem to figure out how many men to send in on defense and why call a play, like on that last big pass play from WV 0:13s left, where you only rush two men? What D coordinator even has that in his playbook?

WMR
12-02-2011, 10:22 AM
The probable worst team in the SEC, Tennessee (wow how much do I enjoy saying that), beat UC by over 20 points... AND, IMO, along with WV, UC is probably most deserving of representing the Big Easy in their BCS Bowl.

will5979
12-02-2011, 10:29 AM
So, are you still the man if UC losses this weekend? Just asking.

Blah blah blah, just having some fun jawing.

I just don't want Louisville in the Orange Bowl, I hate those DBs.

Slyder
12-02-2011, 10:41 AM
And honestly, I'd be a lot less hostile if they weren't acting like a bunch of entitled DBs and suing the conference to be let out early.

Pitt's waiting. Syracuse is waiting. WVU thinks they're special.

Hence: Screw 'em.

ACC doesn't care, big 12 needs someone now. If SEC took FSU or Va Tech (for example) I guarentee you Pitt or Syracuse would be doing the same thing. The ones everyone should be pissed off at is the idiots who have been ruining I mean running the Big East.

By the time we get out of the 27 months the opportunity may not be there hence why WVU sued Marinatto and trying to get him away from the Providence All you can eat buffet table and to the negotiation table.

wolfboy
12-02-2011, 11:08 AM
The probable worst team in the SEC, Tennessee (wow how much do I enjoy saying that), beat UC by over 20 points... AND, IMO, along with WV, UC is probably most deserving of representing the Big Easy in their BCS Bowl.

For what it's worth, Tennessee was not the worst team in the SEC when they beat UC. A pre-injury Bray with Justin Hunter is a completely different team than the squad UK beat on Sat. Of course that still doesn't change the fact that the Big East has been a giant pile of awful this year.

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2011, 11:12 AM
ACC doesn't care, big 12 needs someone now. If SEC took FSU or Va Tech (for example) I guarentee you Pitt or Syracuse would be doing the same thing. The ones everyone should be pissed off at is the idiots who have been ruining I mean running the Big East.

By the time we get out of the 27 months the opportunity may not be there hence why WVU sued Marinatto and trying to get him away from the Providence All you can eat buffet table and to the negotiation table.

Believe me, I can't tell you how badly my day would be ruined if West Virginia missed a valuable opportunity to be a punching bag for Texas and Oklahoma in the B12.

And really, any anger I have towards the Big East and Marinatto is mitigated by the understanding that he really had no good options in this situation. It was a conference held together by duct tape and nonsense from the very start, and the only way it could get stronger was by somehow convincing teams to leave more stable situations to join everyone at the misfits table. Not gonna happen.

I think it's amusing when Pitt, Syracuse and WVU fans all cry about the state of the Big East when they, themselves, are responsible for the situation. It reeks of the "You made me do this!" defense to claims of abuse.

Slyder
12-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Believe me, I can't tell you how badly my day would be ruined if West Virginia missed a valuable opportunity to be a punching bag for Texas and Oklahoma in the B12.

And really, any anger I have towards the Big East and Marinatto is mitigated by the understanding that he really had no good options in this situation. It was a conference held together by duct tape and nonsense from the very start, and the only way it could get stronger was by somehow convincing teams to leave more stable situations to join everyone at the misfits table. Not gonna happen.

I think it's amusing when Pitt, Syracuse and WVU fans all cry about the state of the Big East when they, themselves, are responsible for the situation. It reeks of the "You made me do this!" defense to claims of abuse.

WVU wasn't the one that in the middle of the night slipped out the back door like the Baltimore Colts to get out of town, we only began looking after Va Tech, Miami, BC, Pitt, and Syracuse left the Big East and the basketball schools wouldn't let football thrive (goto 12). And with TCU that was coming the best the Big East could come up with for a 10th team was Nova? Seriously? I can name 5 schools that would kill for an opportunity at the BcS table and provide some value from CUSA/MWC.

The ACC is no more stable now than the Big East, roles would be reversed if the Big East would have had ANY leadership, as soon as the TV contract bubbles pop they are going to be looked down upon because they are more worried about basketball meanwhile SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and PAC 12 actually produce numbers to merit theirs mostly. Its why when you look at the teams that have moved why the Big 10 took Nebraska even though Missouri arguably adds more tv and $. The Big 10 realized there is a market need for a quality program. The SEC on the other hand already has the quality by the boatload (Fla, Ga, LSU, Ala, Aub, etc) so they could afford to take the program that doesn't have the quality but adds more opportunities for viewers (Missouri and Texas A&M).

PAC 12 got snookered a bit when they thought they were getting Texas, OK, and Juniors took Colorado because they didn't want Baylor. And they still have USC, Stanford, Oregon, Washington (when good) to build a foundation of football on. The ACC has 3 programs that anyone cares about Va Tech, FSU, and Clemson (when good) the rest of their football programs are garbage. This is shown by attendance just look at anyone besides those 3 theyre half full. Heck one year in the title game there was like 24k... thats WRETCHED. Someone showed a photo of the USF game and it looked like there was still more people there than your average ACC game.

medford
12-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Blah blah blah, just having some fun jawing.

I just don't want Louisville in the Orange Bowl, I hate those DBs.

So I can't have fun jawing back? I don't even have a horse in this race.

Boston Red
12-03-2011, 08:49 AM

And the last place team in the Big East beat Notre Dame in South Bend.

texasdave
12-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Bearcats up 7-0 early. I hear banjo music.

will5979
12-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Bearcats up 7-0 early. I hear banjo music.

That banjo music team saved the Big East. As long as the Cubcats are in the conference you should be eternally grateful and kiss our Gold & Blue :mooner:

wolfboy
12-03-2011, 01:32 PM
That banjo music team saved the Big East. As long as the Cubcats are in the conference you should be eternally grateful and kiss our Gold & Blue :mooner:

Oh how we'll miss you.

nmculbreth
12-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Methinks there will be a lot of couches on fire tonight in Morgantown!

texasdave
12-03-2011, 02:16 PM

Ever classy. When's the last time they got the Big East automatic bid? 2007? Yes, they saved the Big East. The song the guy on the banjo is playing must be "Life is just a fantasy". Because your statement has no basis in reality. Enjoy your regularly-scheduled Big 12 beatdowns.

Boston Red
12-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Just seven more FGs and UConn's got this!

cincrazy
12-03-2011, 03:47 PM

I don't understand why non-Big East fans such as yourself take the time to come here, in a Big East forum, and trash Big East football.

Boston Red
12-03-2011, 03:49 PM
I don't understand why non-Big East fans such as yourself take the time to come here, in a Big East forum, and trash Big East football.

Especially a UK fan. Of course, who knows horrible football better than a UK fan?

I mean, UK beats Tennesssee for the first time in 27 years, and a week later it's time to rip another team for failing to beat UT?!?

will5979
12-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Ever classy. When's the last time they got the Big East automatic bid? 2007? Yes, they saved the Big East. The song the guy on the banjo is playing must be "Life is just a fantasy". Because your statement has no basis in reality. Enjoy your regularly-scheduled Big 12 beatdowns.

Just how many BCS trophies did you win? Oh thats right ZERO!

Just for the record we are undefeated in BCS games.

Slyder
12-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Whats the odds that the Big East coaches try to make something funny happen? IE leave WVU off ballots and put Cincy at like 15 or something? None, Any, some, likely, guarentee?

And would it matter?

will5979
12-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Methinks there will be a lot of couches on fire tonight in Morgantown!

We'll do that after we win the Orange Bowl!

wolfboy
12-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Just how many BCS trophies did you win? Oh thats right ZERO!

Just for the record we are undefeated in BCS games.

Can't wait until you're gone to the B12. The only time you'll ever experience a BCS bowl again is at home on your couch, watching Texas or Oklahoma. Oh wait, you burned the couch...

WMR
12-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Especially a UK fan. Of course, who knows horrible football better than a UK fan?

I mean, UK beats Tennesssee for the first time in 27 years, and a week later it's time to rip another team for failing to beat UT?!?

Sorry, just didn't want to see the BCS made a further mockery of by a team with home losses to FIU and Marshall going to a BCS game.

Good job today, UC.

Boston Red
12-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Sorry, just didn't want to see the BCS made a further mockery of by a team with home losses to FIU and Marshall going to a BCS game.

(Losses that were sandwiched around a win at Kentucky)

WMR
12-03-2011, 10:22 PM
(Losses that were sandwiched around a win at Kentucky)

(Presuming that I'm not fully aware of the futility of UK football under Joker.)

Doesn't mean I can't have an opinion and rooting interest in how things shake out.

Believe me, I'm about as pessimistic about UK football right now as I was in the Curry days.

WVRed
12-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Whats the odds that the Big East coaches try to make something funny happen? IE leave WVU off ballots and put Cincy at like 15 or something? None, Any, some, likely, guarentee?

And would it matter?

I think UC throwing the game to UConn would have been more likely, and that didn't happen. Would have been fun to see if WVU would have filed a lawsuit over it.

WVU will play Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl, take the revenue, and flip off the Big East on the way out.

Boston Red
12-03-2011, 11:22 PM
WVU will play Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl, take the revenue, and flip off the Big East on the way out.

Not VaTech, and whether they're on the way out so soon is still up for debate. They'll be writing a big check if nothing else.

Slyder
12-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Dang Va Tech got roflstomped... AGAIN! Tahj Boyd vs Geno Smith I like it.

dabvu2498
12-04-2011, 12:50 AM
Looking like it will be Vanderbilt vs. Louisville in the Liberty Bowl. I'll be there. Go Dores!

HotCorner
12-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Looking like it will be Vanderbilt vs. Louisville in the Liberty Bowl. I'll be there. Go Dores!

Interesting. The rumor here is UC vs Vandy in the Liberty Bowl.

Slyder
12-04-2011, 09:20 AM
I heard Pitt vs Marshall in the battle of who is little brother to WVU in Mobile I think it was.

dabvu2498
12-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Interesting. The rumor here is UC vs Vandy in the Liberty Bowl.

That's what I'm seeing now also. And the direction the Memphis paper has printed this morning. Not sure what changed there.

Either way, go Dores!

WVRed
12-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I heard Pitt vs Marshall in the battle of who is little brother to WVU in Mobile I think it was.

I've read Marshall wants in the Beef O'Brady's bowl and the Big East isn't going to have enough teams to qualify. I'm kinda hoping for a Marshall-Western Kentucky matchup in Florida but it will probably be FIU.

joshnky
12-04-2011, 01:40 PM
That's what I'm seeing now also. And the direction the Memphis paper has printed this morning. Not sure what changed there.

Either way, go Dores!

The Belk bowl in charlotte is expected to take Louisville. I'm not sure if it picks first but I know its louisville's preference.

Sea Ray
12-04-2011, 03:10 PM

The only way WVa can make it to a BCS bowl is if they hurt UCs QB. Short of that, UC cruises to the Big East crown

will5979
12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
The only way WVa can make it to a BCS bowl is if they hurt UCs QB. Short of that, UC cruises to the Big East crown

I agree Collaros getting hurt pretty much did u guys in...

But today do excuses matter? WVU is BCS bound!

dougdirt
12-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I agree Collaros getting hurt pretty much did u guys in...

But today do excuses matter? WVU is BCS bound!

As a UC fan, it pains me, but I agree. WVU didn't do anything dirty or shady to sneak in. They beat UC at UC. There were mitigating circumstances for why it probably happened, but those things don't matter. I hope WVU does the BE proud, I am tired of the conference getting beaten up and talked about like they are the MAC.

will5979
12-04-2011, 08:10 PM
As a UC fan, it pains me, but I agree. WVU didn't do anything dirty or shady to sneak in. They beat UC at UC. There were mitigating circumstances for why it probably happened, but those things don't matter. I hope WVU does the BE proud, I am tired of the conference getting beaten up and talked about like they are the MAC.

Thanks Doug, I mean it when I say that I have the highest level of respect for UC football and Coach Jones. Cincy was always a fun rivalry for me in the conference i.e. a team you respected the hell out of, DID NOT HATE, and always expected a damn good football games as we have seen over the years. I really hope the Big 12 adds Cincy (and USF) to the conference soon.

Good riddance to the teams I DO HATE, sPitt, Syracuse, Loserville, and Marshall.

WVPacman
12-04-2011, 11:18 PM

If you remember a few years back when WVU beat Georgia then Oklahoma in bcs bowls WVU or the Big East still never got any respect from anybody on tv so I don't see it changing this year.

WVRed
12-04-2011, 11:39 PM
If you remember a few years back when WVU beat Georgia then Oklahoma in bcs bowls WVU or the Big East still never got any respect from anybody on tv so I don't see it changing this year.

Problem is, the conference has dwindled considerably since. Bobby Petrino and Brian Kelly, two of the more promising coaches within the conference, left for other jobs, as did the coach of WVU at the time, Rich Rodriguez.

Take away the Big East's automatic BCS bid, and Houston likely receives the bid at-large over WVU.

This has been debated ad-nausem in the Realignment thread, but the Big East is the most ineptly run conference in all of sports with the Big 12 being a close second. I'm halfway surprised the Big East didn't file an injunction preventing WVU from claiming the BCS bid while suing its own conference, but it just goes to show how the Big East doesn't want to lose money by doing so.

RANDY IN INDY
12-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Sad that teams that finish higher in the polls get left out of the big BCS bowls.

Caveat Emperor
12-05-2011, 12:59 AM
I, for one, hope WVU gets run out of the stadium and gives their fans an early preview of what life will be like when they play Oklahoma, Texas and OSU on a yearly basis. :)

Slyder
12-05-2011, 01:10 AM
I, for one, hope WVU gets run out of the stadium and gives their fans an early preview of what life will be like when they play Oklahoma, Texas and OSU on a yearly basis. :)

We for whatever reason tend to fare better walking into a place with an "us against the world" type attitude. I don't know if its something in the air here but we can't handle being the big dog but we just thrive on being the underdog.

WVPacman
12-05-2011, 01:18 AM

Its great to be hated b/c when people hates you that means you must be doing something right.:D

Caveat Emperor
12-05-2011, 01:27 AM
Its great to be hated b/c when people hates you that means you must be doing something right.:D

Or just being a bunch of entitled brats by suing to leave a conference early when you agreed to the exit terms with everyone else.

Boston Red
12-05-2011, 01:47 AM

Damn, think how much Hitler must have been doing right (where is Marge when you need backup?).

Godwin's Law!

dougdirt
12-05-2011, 01:49 AM
Or just being a bunch of entitled brats by suing to leave a conference early when you agreed to the exit terms with everyone else.

The players and fans have nothing to do with that though.

WVRed
12-05-2011, 09:04 AM
We for whatever reason tend to fare better walking into a place with an "us against the world" type attitude. I don't know if its something in the air here but we can't handle being the big dog but we just thrive on being the underdog.

That didn't work too well against LSU. I guess you can call running up 500 yards of offense a moral victory though. :)

will5979
12-05-2011, 09:36 AM
That didn't work too well against LSU. I guess you can call running up 500 yards of offense a moral victory though. :)

No we got our butts kicked that night because we turned the ball over 5 times, hard to win when you turn the ball over that much.

FWIW the only team in the state of WV that posts "moral victories" is MooU.

Slyder
12-05-2011, 09:37 AM

Considering the circumstances, how many teams they completely shut down, and how the year progressed... I'll take a butt kicking and a BcS game where we aren't the most undeserving team in them.

medford
12-05-2011, 09:56 AM

Very true. Aside from the title game, bowl games have turned into nothing more than glorified exhibitions. Some teams are happy just to be there, some are just going thru the motions at the end of a dissapointing season, or perhaps the elevation/termination of their current coaching staff, and some treat their bowl game as if they were playing for the national title. But no matter how the teams involved prepare for the game, unless you're a fan of the particular teams involved, you have little invested, so no matter the outcome, your preception of the teams involved rarely changes.

TCU & Boise have been able to garner a level of respect the last few years, but they still fight an uphill battle. It takes teams decades of constitant winning to become ingrained in the college football landscape. Unfortunetly for the Big East, there is nobody that defines what OSU, Florida, Texas, Notre Dame, USC, Oklahoma, etc... have come to represent on the football field. WVU is the closest, but now they're departed for "greener" pastures.

No matter what WVU does, the Big East is in a no win situation in terms of gaining any measure of respect by winning their BCS game. Lose, and some will say the conference is what everyone thought it was, win and its a decent win for a team suing to get its way out as quick as possible.

WVRed
12-05-2011, 01:46 PM
No matter what WVU does, the Big East is in a no win situation in terms of gaining any measure of respect by winning their BCS game. Lose, and some will say the conference is what everyone thought it was, win and its a decent win for a team suing to get its way out as quick as possible.

Considering they are playing Clemson, its possible. It's the two best teams from the two worst conferences.

paintmered
12-05-2011, 09:08 PM

Even better, they proposed it. (According to message board musings, that is. I haven't verified this.)

Slyder
12-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Even better, they proposed it.

The previous administration proposed it. Oliver Luck was not part of that. Just for clarification. It had its purpose to sustain the Big East should someone else had left after Cryami, VT, and BC left.

texasdave
12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
The Big East will reportedly add Boise State, San Diego State, University of Central Florida, the University of Houston and Southern Methodist University in 2013, according to a Brett McMurphy of CBS Sports.

http://tracking.si.com/2011/12/06/big-east-adds-boise-state-houston-smu-and-san-diego-state/?sct=hp_t2_a4&eref=sihp

WVRed
12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
The Big East will reportedly add Boise State, San Diego State, University of Central Florida, the University of Houston and Southern Methodist University in 2013, according to a Brett McMurphy of CBS Sports.

http://tracking.si.com/2011/12/06/big-east-adds-boise-state-houston-smu-and-san-diego-state/?sct=hp_t2_a4&eref=sihp

In other news, the Big East needs a map.

KronoRed
12-06-2011, 03:35 PM
So its Boise and SDSU as football only and the rest as full members, this really puts a torpedo in the side of conference USA.

Love that the "big east" now reaches the pacific.

texasdave
12-06-2011, 03:39 PM
So its Boise and SDSU as football only and the rest as full members, this really puts a torpedo in the side of conference USA.

Well it does say "Big". :)

WVRed
12-06-2011, 03:46 PM

The Big East: Now East of the Pacific Ocean.

wolfboy
12-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Jokes about the geographic accuracy of the conference name aside, I'm actually pretty excited about the new look Big East. I think Boise State is a more than capable football replacement for West Virginia. I also think that the trio of SMU, UCF and Houston more than replace what Pitt and Syracuse brought to the table in football. While I would have preferred BYU over SDSU, if that's what it took to get Boise State, I'm all in.

The unfortunate part of this all is that if the Big East would have made moves like this quickly, they could have had their pick of these teams and also kept WV and TCU. They should have pounced when the B12 was teetering. There's really no excuse for the ineptitude, but at least they've managed to salvage something in the end.

dabvu2498
12-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Navy and the USAFA joining in 2014 also.

KronoRed
12-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Poor Army.

Boston Red
12-06-2011, 08:21 PM
This move means that when Louisville and UConn inevitably flee, the Big East will have screwed up not only its football league, but its basketball league as well.

Slyder
12-06-2011, 08:26 PM
This move means that when Louisville and UConn inevitably flee, the Big East will have screwed up not only its football league, but its basketball league as well.

Honestly serves the Providence Mafia right for the incompetance they shoveled down the football schools throats for so long.

I honestly expect Rutgers/UConn one to the ACC and the other to the B1G, Louisville and Cincy to B12 (to get them back to 12). At which point there will be no real school with ties to the basketball conference, at which point the bball schools tell the rest of them you don't have to go home but you can't stay here. You have a decent core for the basketball side, kick out the football schools and then add some combination of Butler, St Louis, St Joe's and return to concentrating on the basketball side and still maintaining a high level conference when this is said and done.

Caveat Emperor
12-07-2011, 01:06 PM

The Big East is going to ask all schools to sign an assignment of rights over the summer before they begin TV negotiations.

I'll be interested to see what Louisville and UConn do when confronted with that.

Captain13
12-08-2011, 03:05 PM
In 2013, the BIG EAST will have 13 football playing schools, and that is if USAFA and Navy haven't joined yet. There could be 15 in 2013 if all seven join and the conference doesn't let the other three out early. As Marianatto said, "a contract is a contract".

Sea Ray
12-08-2011, 03:20 PM
In 2013, the BIG EAST will have 13 football playing schools, and that is if USAFA and Navy haven't joined yet. There could be 15 in 2013 if all seven join and the conference doesn't let the other three out early. As Marianatto said, "a contract is a contract".

It's a mess but it's as good as UC can do for now. It beats the Great Midwest, Metro, Conf USA and any other conf they've been a part of

bucksfan2
12-08-2011, 03:35 PM
It's a mess but it's as good as UC can do for now. It beats the Great Midwest, Metro, Conf USA and any other conf they've been a part of

It is CUSA thought. With the departures of Pitt, WVU, and Syracuse all the programs with any relevant tradition are gone. As of now they only difference between the Big East and CUSA is an automatic bid that I imagine will be taken away during the next negotiations.

Sea Ray
12-08-2011, 03:41 PM
It is CUSA thought. With the departures of Pitt, WVU, and Syracuse all the programs with any relevant tradition are gone. As of now they only difference between the Big East and CUSA is an automatic bid that I imagine will be taken away during the next negotiations.

I see your point but I might add that Boise St is a better football school than anyone in conf usa. That has to help their chances of keeping their bid. You are correct, that bid is huge

Redlegs23
12-09-2011, 09:45 AM
In other news, the Big East needs a map.

And the Big 10 needs to take its' socks off.

The Big 12 could use some 1st grade subtraction lessons.

bucksfan2
12-09-2011, 10:48 AM
I see your point but I might add that Boise St is a better football school than anyone in conf usa. That has to help their chances of keeping their bid. You are correct, that bid is huge

Boise St. is probably the best football team the Big East has had since Miami left a handful of years ago. Had they gotten Boise and TCU I think the automatic bid stood a better chance. I think the sole reason that the Big East rest their hopes on an automatic bid is the threat of a law suit.

Sea Ray
12-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Boise St. is probably the best football team the Big East has had since Miami left a handful of years ago. Had they gotten Boise and TCU I think the automatic bid stood a better chance. I think the sole reason that the Big East rest their hopes on an automatic bid is the threat of a law suit.

I think their automatic bid is safe and if that's the case then the Big East did the right thing (and so did UC). I agree with this article:

http://outkickthecoverage.com/big-east-unlikely-to-lose-bcs-bid.php

If nothing else, sheer numbers will keep the Big East in the picture for football. The issue is what have they done to the other sports in order to save their football BCS future? It's convoluted to say the least

Captain13
12-09-2011, 02:52 PM
There probably will be no such thing as an AQ after 2014. There is talk of several forms of a "plus-one" system. The two most likely are as follows: 1. Return to the old bowl system and after the bowls are played have #1 v #2 for the national championship (This is what the B1G and the Pac 12 want). 2. Have a four team playoff with #1 v #4 and #2 v #3 in two of the BCS bowls with the national championship to follow.

KronoRed
12-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Yuck at the old bowl system.

WVRed
12-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Jokes about the geographic accuracy of the conference name aside, I'm actually pretty excited about the new look Big East. I think Boise State is a more than capable football replacement for West Virginia. I also think that the trio of SMU, UCF and Houston more than replace what Pitt and Syracuse brought to the table in football. While I would have preferred BYU over SDSU, if that's what it took to get Boise State, I'm all in.

The unfortunate part of this all is that if the Big East would have made moves like this quickly, they could have had their pick of these teams and also kept WV and TCU. They should have pounced when the B12 was teetering. There's really no excuse for the ineptitude, but at least they've managed to salvage something in the end.

I normally don't defend WVU, but I will in this instance.

Boise has only been relevant since this past decade, notably with Kellen Moore. If Boise slacks off or Chris Peterson decides to seek greener pastures, then Boise (and the Big East's AQ bid) is going to be in a world of hurt.

If Dana Holgorsen resigned on Monday, NCAA sanctions notwithstanding, WVU could attract someone to coach and not miss a beat. I don't think the same could be said for Boise.

As for the other schools, UCF is facing recruiting violations in both football and basketball. Houston could be looking at losing Kevin Sumlin to a bigger job (likely A&M). SMU's history has been pretty well documented, but it will be interesting to see if June Jones is still coaching there very long.

Slyder
12-10-2011, 01:33 AM
I normally don't defend WVU, but I will in this instance.

Boise has only been relevant since this past decade, notably with Kellen Moore. If Boise slacks off or Chris Peterson decides to seek greener pastures, then Boise (and the Big East's AQ bid) is going to be in a world of hurt.

If Dana Holgorsen resigned on Monday, NCAA sanctions notwithstanding, WVU could attract someone to coach and not miss a beat. I don't think the same could be said for Boise.

As for the other schools, UCF is facing recruiting violations in both football and basketball. Houston could be looking at losing Kevin Sumlin to a bigger job (likely A&M). SMU's history has been pretty well documented, but it will be interesting to see if June Jones is still coaching there very long.

June Jones has been offered the Arizona State job. Plus the Big East won't let Boise accept partial qualifiers. Marinatto is a meaball late... as always.

KronoRed
12-10-2011, 02:26 AM
ASU pulled their offer on Jones, apparently the boosters didn't like him.

Boston Red
12-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Boise has only been relevant since this past decade, notably with Kellen Moore.

Kellen Moore was not the QB when they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. And Boise is 151-27 under three separate coaches starting in 1998. Boise's not exactly a flash in the pan.

Boston Red
12-10-2011, 08:13 AM
As for the other schools, all they're being asked to do is replace Syracuse and Pitt. Not exactly a huge task in football.