PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 9/4

chicoruiz
09-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Reds:

Paul Householder (53) -Handed the Reds RF job in 1982, and, well, there's no nice way to talk about what happened next. Hung around a bit, was eventually traded to the Cards for John Stuper.

Others:

Mike Piazza (43) -I believe he's eligible for the HOF next year, and he should coast in no problem.

Frank White (61) -A Brandon Phillips comp? I haven't done the research, that's just off the top of my head...

Doyle Alexander (61) -Oft-traded righthander; including the famous deal for John Smoltz. Won 17 in back-to-back seasons in Toronto.

Ken Harrelson (70) -Tried to be baseball's answer to Joe Namath for a while; also tried to be a GM. Unconvincing in either role.

Eddie Waitkus -Inspiration for the novel The Natural, and eventually for the movie, although by that time the story had wandered a long way from the facts.

oneupper
09-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Hopefully BP can follow White in that his hitting went up a notch after 30.
18 years with the same club.

chicoruiz
09-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Going waaay back, Amos Booth was a Red in 1876. His listed nickname was "Darling"; you have to be careful calling someone that in a locker room...

UKFlounder
09-04-2012, 11:01 AM
I guess it was too soon to call him "phone" :lol:

Going waaay back, Amos Booth was a Red in 1876. His listed nickname was "Darling"; you have to be careful calling someone that in a locker room...

Big Klu
09-05-2012, 04:17 PM
I guess it was too soon to call him "phone" :lol:

Alexander Graham Bell made the first telephone call to Thomas Watson on March 10, 1876.