PDA

View Full Version : You get what you pay for

ruREaDy2
09-04-2011, 12:14 PM
A look at the cost of winning for the Reds since 1990. Why the Reds have gotten exactly what they've payed for....

http://www.redlegsreview.com/2011/09/look-at-cost-of-winning-for-reds-in.html

Roush's socks
09-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Things that I notice.
1. Wow, in 1990 the team won WS and payroll was 16 mil and now it is 60-70. Have finances changed that much since 1990 that teams pay 4x the payroll now? Are you making 4x now what you made in 1990?
2. In 1995 Reds were #3 in MLB in payroll, but that was not realisitic. No way the Reds can be a top 5 payroll team in MLB given their market size, attendance, and media revenue.
3. Payroll and winning do not always go together. There have been plenty of winning teams recently who weren't big spenders.
4. Look at the Cubs and several other teams who have a high payroll and don't even play .500.
5. Reds fans should give up on the idea that ownership make a major increase in payroll. That won't happen unless attendance goes up or they get a more lucrative TV deal.

webbbj
09-04-2011, 12:49 PM
i think this just shows the reds consistency of giving out dumb contracts.

Just this offseason they give dusty an extension, arroyo LTD, cordero deal back in 07 was dumb, cairo should never get a 2 year deal though i cant complain with a 1 year deal.

The reds team could be a whole lot different this year if they spent that 8-10M on a LF instead of arroyo and let dusty go.

Mis handling or no clear direction of chapman.

The reds just need to stop giving out contracts to over priced vets that are entering the downside of their career. Their built to win if they quit this dumb habit.

I really love B phillips i just hope they dont make the mistake of giving him more than 3 years.

Vottomatic
09-04-2011, 06:05 PM
i think this just shows the reds consistency of giving out dumb contracts.

Just this offseason they give dusty an extension, arroyo LTD, cordero deal back in 07 was dumb, cairo should never get a 2 year deal though i cant complain with a 1 year deal.

The reds team could be a whole lot different this year if they spent that 8-10M on a LF instead of arroyo and let dusty go.

Mis handling or no clear direction of chapman.

The reds just need to stop giving out contracts to over priced vets that are entering the downside of their career. Their built to win if they quit this dumb habit.

I really love B phillips i just hope they dont make the mistake of giving him more than 3 years.

Agree for the most part. But I realize why they gave Arroyo that contract. He had 3 good straight years and he's an innings eater. And the other starters were consistently NOT giving them 6 or 7 innings per game, burning the bullpen. So I think management looked at Bronson's rubber arm as a good way to save the bullpen, plus he was coming off 3 good seasons.

I don't like Dusty, but how do you let the manager go that just took you to your first playoff appearance in 15 years?

I just hope ownership decides to open their pocketbook because I think a couple of acquisitions could make this team easily the frontrunner to win the division next season.