PDA

View Full Version : How do you like Francisco now?

Vottomatic
09-04-2011, 07:06 PM
:beerme:

Roush's socks
09-04-2011, 07:23 PM
He looked great in the game today. It works at well that he is a LH hitter since Rolen is a righty. They should split time at 3B next year depending on how well Rolen comes back from surgery.

nux fan
09-04-2011, 07:33 PM
I always liked him he is young as opposed to the invalid rolen

BLark = HOF
09-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Guys has always been one of my prospects. Problem is our ignorant manager doesn't play the hot players. Also he should be the starting 3B next year, with Rolen on the bench. However again Baker loves his veterans.

Vottomatic
09-04-2011, 08:50 PM
That's why I hope we have a new manager who plays the odds, and doesn't coddle his players.

I'd platoon Rolen/Francisco (righty/lefty) at 3B next year too.

redsfan1995
09-04-2011, 09:17 PM
I think he deserves a shot he never has had a true shot. He should play third 4 games a week the rest of the year and rolen gets the rest when he comes back.

nux fan
09-04-2011, 09:33 PM
rolen is the past, that is the same mistak ethe reds keep making with larkin, griffey, arroyo, it is a young persons game

MBZags
09-04-2011, 09:36 PM
His K/BB ratio in the minors still worries me, but it's nice to see that he's hitting given the opportunity.

FireDusty
09-04-2011, 10:29 PM
I just don't know if a guy can hit major league pitching when he swings at everything like this guy does.

I think at worst, he's a guy that is a big league player. I don't know if he'll ever be a 600 at bat guy, but he deserves to be on the team next year.

I'd like to see him play left field so he can be matched up against a right hander on any given day at either 3b or left field.

Not everybody has to be a star.

DGullett35
09-04-2011, 10:34 PM
He definitely does not walk enough as he only had 10 walks in the minors this year. he was on the disabled list however for some time. The guy can flat out swing the bat though and IMO should platoon with Rolen next year. He would have probably had significant playing time this year for not getting hurt. Another idea would let him play LF and have Frazier and Rolen platoon. I think Frazier is a good ballplayer and should be with the big club. I like his attitude and the guy can play multiple positions. We definitely will have a number of good left-handed bats on the roster for next year. It's going to be interesting too see what the organization does next year and who is going to stick around and whos going to go and what positions will guys be playing. definitely something to pay attention too.

kfm
09-04-2011, 11:31 PM
I like Francisco and bad luck has killed this guy this year. Every time Rolen got hurt, it seems like he was hurt also. I don't know what he is, while I would like to see him get a chance, I am not going to anoint him the third basemen because of a good weekend. I love his power and the fact that he seems to hit the ball all over the field, but he needs to be more selective. I am concerned that once he gets around the league people will learn that you don't have to throw him strikes to get him out. He shows patience getting to a lot of three ball counts, but for some reason he has problems taking that fourth ball. I love having the lefties in the lineup votto, Bruce, alonso, Francisco. This alone should improve their results against right handed pitchers. Better roster construction alone should greatly improve their record. A team with two or three lh batters is just silly.

gedred69
09-04-2011, 11:36 PM
There are holes in his ABs, that hopefully can be corrected quickly, otherwise he will be another Wily Mo. MLB pitchers will learn "quickly" not to throw him a hitable fastball. Here's hoping he gets it. He could be a monster.

BLark = HOF
09-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Not trying to compare Juan to Vladimir Guerrero, but Vlady does swing at anything so that is a flawed argument.

Vottomatic
09-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Francisco = next Vlad Guerrero......

You heard it here first from BLark=HOF :D

Hillsdale87
09-05-2011, 01:56 PM
While Francisco's struggles with taking a walk are well documented and he swings at almost everything, his K rates are not horrible. He actually had a better percentage than Todd Frazier. So while he swings at a lot of pitches out of the zone, he connects frequently, and still hits it hard.

Krawhitham
09-05-2011, 02:04 PM
He has reduced his strikeout percentage every year in the minors while is walk percentage has remained about the same

His SO 21% this season in AAA
His SO 21% this season in the majors

This season SO percentages
Stubbs 33%
Heisey 28%
Bruce 27%
Votto 21%
NL League average is 21%

nux fan
09-05-2011, 02:05 PM
the guy deserves the chance to play regularly

Pete4prez
09-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Fransisco is has done a good job since he has been recalled, but I still think the future at 3rd base is Yonder Alonzo, with Sappelt being in left field, The reason I would put Zo at 3rd over Fransisco is Zo will be a consistant .300 hitter in the show, I do not think Fransisco will be.

lidspinner
09-06-2011, 05:53 AM
Exactly. There is no where to put Juan. Yonder is going to end up at third base as long as Votto is on this roster, you can bank that. Yonder cannot play a half consistent LF so hopefully he can play 3rd, at least that's where I see him getting the bulk of his reps at next year. Yonder is to good to just sit and Votto is to good to trade. Together they make a heck of a combo to carry us to the playoffs. But with that combo means Juan is the odd man out unless yonder can somehow learn how to play LF.

bubbachunk
09-06-2011, 07:28 AM
He has reduced his strikeout percentage every year in the minors while is walk percentage has remained about the same

His SO 21% this season in AAA
His SO 21% this season in the majors

This season SO percentages
Stubbs 33%
Heisey 28%
Bruce 27%
Votto 21%
NL League average is 21%

Stubbs has 55 walks
Heisey is not a regular
Bruce has 58 walks
Votto has 100 walks

There is a huge difference between what those guys are doing and what Francisco has always shown in the minors.

texasdave
09-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Exactly. There is no where to put Juan. Yonder is going to end up at third base as long as Votto is on this roster, you can bank that. Yonder cannot play a half consistent LF so hopefully he can play 3rd, at least that's where I see him getting the bulk of his reps at next year. Yonder is to good to just sit and Votto is to good to trade. Together they make a heck of a combo to carry us to the playoffs. But with that combo means Juan is the odd man out unless yonder can somehow learn how to play LF.

I know it is a small sample size but Yonder does not look like he can handle left. Just in yesterday's game alone he missed a catchable ball, bobbled a ground single and made a terrible throw towards the plate that ended up about the pitcher's mound.

So try Francisco in left. That is what this month is for when a team scruffs along for five months and finds itself out of any type of playoff contention. Teams begin to look forward to the next year and begin looking for answers.