PDA

View Full Version : Why does Phillips keep giving up on pitches before theyre thrown?

mroby85
09-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Has anyone else noticed the way Phillips just gives up on several pitches lately when he decides hes taking before it's thrown? It's driving me crazy lol. I understand if you're taking on a 3-0 count or something, but hes doing it all the time to start at bats, etc.

drowg14
09-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Has anyone else noticed the way Phillips just gives up on several pitches lately when he decides hes taking before it's thrown? It's driving me crazy lol. I understand if you're taking on a 3-0 count or something, but hes doing it all the time to start at bats, etc.

Yes! I noticed this too. Maybe because he's in leadoff now it helps him to be more selective, work the count more? That's the theory I have come up with.

Stray
09-05-2011, 03:20 PM
He does that until they throw him a strike. I think he's done it in every at bat since moving to leadoff.

texasdave
09-05-2011, 03:21 PM
It seems to be working so far.

DGullett35
09-05-2011, 06:31 PM
I think it has something to do with how he likes to "showboat"..I love the guy and hope the Reds keep him around but the guy seems to fool around sometimes(the phillies series early in the year where he was picked at 2nd after making dinner plans with there 2nd baseman.) Just my opinion

texasdave
09-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I think it has something to do with how he likes to "showboat"..I love the guy and hope the Reds keep him around but the guy seems to fool around sometimes(the phillies series early in the year where he was picked at 2nd after making dinner plans with there 2nd baseman.) Just my opinion

He definitely has some Jim Edmonds in him.

demas863
09-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Reminds me of when he used to faked that the ball went into center on the throw to second. It never worked. Here he's trying to distract the pitcher so he can get ahead in the count. Pitchers seem to be adjusting. I would be shocked if Reds didn't sign this guy long term.

An average defensive second baseman would have to hit .350 to match his all around talent.

texasdave
09-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Reminds me of when he used to faked that the ball went into center on the throw to second. It never worked. Here he's trying to distract the pitcher so he can get ahead in the count. Pitchers seem to be adjusting. I would be shocked if Reds didn't sign this guy long term.

An average defensive second baseman would have to hit .350 to match his all around talent.

He is having an outstanding season. No arguments there.

jhiller21
09-06-2011, 06:41 PM
When he lead off last year he would show bunt on the first pitch he saw every game, but always pull back. Never actually laid one down.

Trying to get ahead in the count I guess.

Krawhitham
09-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Maybe he is just checking out the fielding alignment by taking the 1st pitch