PDA

View Full Version : 2011 "Rate My Team" Thread

Caveat Emperor
09-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Drafted tonight for a league done through work -- 12 team league, no keeper, PPR AND PPC for QBs (I hate that part).

Here's what I ended up with:

QB: Josh Freeman (TB), Rex Grossman (WAS)

Everyone went nuts for QBs early in the draft, so I sat back and waited to grab Freeman in the mid-rounds. I waited too long to grab a backup, though.

RB: Chris Johnson (TEN), Matt Forte (CHI), Mark Ingram (NO), CJ Spiller (BUF), Daniel Thomas (MIA)

I'm very happy with Johnson and Forte. I like Ingram and Thomas to break out in the second half. Spiller was an impulse pick when I didn't like anyone else on the board.

WR: Calvin Johnson (DET), Jeremy Maclin (PHI), Chad Ochocinco (NE), Hines Ward (PIT), Percy Harvin (MIN)

Basically, I need PHI and NE to put up a lot of points this year, because Calvin Johnson is the only "sure" WR in that group otherwise.

TE: Anthony Gonzalez (ATL), Todd Heap (ARI)

I'm high on Heap -- I like what Kolb did with Celek in Philly, and I don't love the rest of Arizona's WRs after Fitzgerald. Gonzalez is what he is at his age, though

K: Nick Folk

DEF: Houston

Plan on just rotating on the waiver wire -- I like their potential week 1 matchup against a Kerry Collins-led Colts squad.

On the whole, I see a lot of boom/bust potential with this team. Should be a fun one to follow.

Mario-Rijo
09-06-2011, 08:50 AM
I'd need to know more about the scoring to be sure (passing TD's 4 or 6 points for example) but I'd say average-ish, though I don't ever play a 12 team league so that is probably why it looks a bit thin to me. In a PPC for QB's league (which I personally love to do myself) with all TD's at 6 points and standard yardage pointage you gotta take a QB much, much sooner than you did. Though as late as you took one Freeman ain't bad.

Mario-Rijo
09-06-2011, 09:12 AM
My team in a 10 team, 2 keeper, PPC (QB), PPRec (all), TD's worth 6 and standard yardage pointage. Typical lineup (w/ exception to a Flex WR/TE spot that I like to use) QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1TE, 1 DST, 1K.

Keepers: Mike Vick & Arian Foster (My pick is #6 but I dealt away my 3rd rounder in this draft last season)

QB - Vick
RB - Foster
RB - Jamaal Charles
WR - M. Colston
WR - Santana Moss
WR/TE - Sidney Rice
TE - Jimmy Graham
D/ST - NYG
K - Mason Crosby

QB - Sam Bradford
RB - Ryan Matthews, Pierre Thomas, Jerome Harrison, Bernard Scott
WR - Roy Williams, Jordy Nelson, Lee Evans
TE - Zach Miller (Sea.), Ben Watson
DST - Texans

Subsequently dropped Bernard Scott for Jason Snelling after some overnight thought. My WR corps lacks big time star power right now considering everything but a couple could still surprise and the old guys I took there are all in good situations. Had I had my 3rd rounder I could have had that one top flight WR as well.

Caveat Emperor
09-06-2011, 11:01 AM
I'd need to know more about the scoring to be sure (passing TD's 4 or 6 points for example) but I'd say average-ish, though I don't ever play a 12 team league so that is probably why it looks a bit thin to me. In a PPC for QB's league (which I personally love to do myself) with all TD's at 6 points and standard yardage pointage you gotta take a QB much, much sooner than you did. Though as late as you took one Freeman ain't bad.

PPC just feels like a cheap way to play -- it penalizes QBs who pick up yardage in big chunks (Vick, Roethlisberger) and skews incredible weight towards high-ATT passers (Ryan, Brees, Brady) who put the ball up 40-50 times per game. The latter three are quality fantasy QBs already, they don't need added point bonuses just because their team uses the 4-5 yard out / in route in lieu of a run on 1st down.

Probably my least favorite rule in fantasy sports.

bucksfan2
09-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Here is my team. We are in a .5 PPR league. TD's are worth 5 while passing TD's are worth 4. Its a keeper league and you half to pick 3 and can pick 4. This year we decided to scrap the K and add another flex position. The K can be used as a flex position. Anyway here is my team.

QB
Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Jake Locker
Besides for Flacco Ryan was the weakest QB kept. I like his upside and in a keeper league I think he can become a top tier QB. Cutler is a backup and Locker was a late round grab hoping he goes nuts and becomes a top notch QB.

RB
Jones-Drew, Steven Jackson, Daniel Thomas, Roy Helu, and Kendal Hunter

MJD and Jackson were my keepers. I went with Thomas because he has the potential to be a starter and Helu is in the same boat. I am hoping one turns into a keeper type to give me trade value. Hunter was a reach but the backup to Gore. In a deep league those are nice to have.

WR
Miles Austin, AJ Green, Plaxico Burress, and Arrelious Benn
I probably went a round early with Green but he has huge upside. I think I got a steal in Burress taking him 2 rounds after green. Benn was the best available WR at the time.

TE
Gronk and Kyle Rudolph
Probably the weakest part of my team. I did wait quite a few rounds to take a TE and was satisfied I got Gronk. Rudolph was my last pick.

DST
Packers and Lions
I got the Pack right as the run on D was starting. I picked up the Lions later on and was very happy with that one. The Lions beat up every team they played in the pre season. I think that D may be the surprise in the league this season.

Mario-Rijo
09-06-2011, 06:19 PM
PPC just feels like a cheap way to play -- it penalizes QBs who pick up yardage in big chunks (Vick, Roethlisberger) and skews incredible weight towards high-ATT passers (Ryan, Brees, Brady) who put the ball up 40-50 times per game. The latter three are quality fantasy QBs already, they don't need added point bonuses just because their team uses the 4-5 yard out / in route in lieu of a run on 1st down.

Probably my least favorite rule in fantasy sports.

I get why someone wouldn't like it. But I think it makes a league more competitive overall because there aren't many Vicks and Bens out there so it allows a deeper pool of players. A nice side effect is it gives a guy a chance to get someone off the waiver wire to stay competitive in case a major injury to his QB. He may not win much after that but at least he won't be a cake walk for everyone else, you'll still have to remain involved to beat him. I suppose there are other ways to to accomplish the same thing but none that make any more sense to me I guess.

My least favorite rule has to be a TD given less points than what a TD is actually worth. Like a passing TD being worth 4 points but all others 6. Either that or using some weird lineups, why in the world would I want to start 2 QB's, doesn't make any sense to me.

LoganBuck
09-06-2011, 10:36 PM
I am in two leagues I just completed my drafts

League 1 10 Man Standard Scoring except Pass TD=6 QB QB WR WR WR RB RB TE W/R W/T K D 6 man bench
Rodgers BigBen
Britt Floyd Crabtree SteveSmithCAR ArreliousBenn JSimpson
Turner Greene DeangeloW KMoreno LTomlinson
Witten Gronk

League 2 12 Man Standard Scoring QB WR WR WR RB RB TE W/R
Vick Sanchez
Harvin, StevieJohnson, MAustin SteveSmithPhil MWilliamsSEA
Turner Benson FJackson JStarks TJones
Gates JGraham

I am pretty sure the other guys were drinking during the League2 Draft, because guys fell to me all night.

Hillsdale87
09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I am pretty sure the other guys were drinking during the League2 Draft, because guys fell to me all night.

Yea I actually like your team in the 12 man league better. It looks like you got some steals in that draft.

Boss-Hog
09-07-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm in three leagues for the second straight year...I was fortunate enough to win two of them last year and finish third in the other (one bad lineup decision in semi-finals away from winning all of them). Anyway, I'm not thrilled with any of these teams, so feel free to critique. All are 12 team non-PPR leagues...leagues 1 and 2 are 6 points for TD passes and league 3 is 4 points for TD passes; otherwise, the scoring is pretty conventional.

League 1 ("College Friends League") - drafted fourth; start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/Flex/K/D

QBs: Flacco, Cutler
RBs: Charles, McFadden, Reggie Bush, Spiller, Donald Brown (what in the world was I thinking?), Kendall Hunter
WRs: Nicks, Bowe, Marshall, Welker, Crabtree, Eddie Royal
TE: Zach Miller (SEA)
Sebastian Janikowski
Chargers D

League 2 ("Chicago Friends League") - drafted 12th; start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/Flex/K/D

QBs: Freeman
RBs: McFadden, Forte, Addai, McGahee, Woodhead, Helu
WRs: Miles Austin, Bowe, Welker, Jacoby Ford, Meachem, Jerome Simpson
TE: Dallas Clark (in hindsight, foolishly overdrafted)
Sebastian Janikowski
Giants D

League 3 ("Work League") - drafted third; start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/Flex/K/D

QBs: Bradford, Sanchez (I kept barely missing out on QBs I liked better, so I had to settle for Bradford in round 10)
RBs: Charles, Knowshon Moreno, Jonathan Stewart, Spiller, Thomas Jones
WRs: Nicks, Mike Wallace, Britt, Jacoby Ford, Davone Bess
TE: Antonio Gates
Sebastian Janikowski
Chargers D

Any input is appreciated...

bucksfan2
09-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Couple of thoughts on your team Boss (and in general).

I don't like Flacco one bit. To me he is an over rated QB, especially in fantasy.

I like Cutler for a backup. Guy has a cannon for an arm and Martz loves to throw the ball all around. If it weren't for the Chicago weather he probably would be a top notch QB.

I am very high on Freeman this season. I think he can break up.

Wes Welker was going very low in most of my drafts. He is a very good #2 option and would be a monster in PPR leagues.

I don't love your teams but I think they can be good.

Boss-Hog
09-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Couple of thoughts on your team Boss (and in general).

I don't like Flacco one bit. To me he is an over rated QB, especially in fantasy.

I like Cutler for a backup. Guy has a cannon for an arm and Martz loves to throw the ball all around. If it weren't for the Chicago weather he probably would be a top notch QB.

I am very high on Freeman this season. I think he can break up.

Wes Welker was going very low in most of my drafts. He is a very good #2 option and would be a monster in PPR leagues.

I don't love your teams but I think they can be good.

Thanks for your feedback...I don't love Flacco, either - in fantasy or in real life. :) That was another situation in which I kept barely missing QBs I liked better...in case you can't tell, I think that position is often overvalued in fantasy. I am starting Cutler over Flacco at least in week one due to Flacco's matchup.

Danny Serafini
09-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Prepare to be underwhelmed!

A little background before my roster - we play in a 12 team keeper league where you can keep as many players as you want, but there's a salary cap with escalating salaries and a five year limit on keeping anyone. I won the league in 2009, and went into last year with a number of players in their 5th year. Since my window was about to close I maximized my chances by trading draft picks for expiring contracts. It worked, since I won the league again, but it left me with a price to pay this year. Here's what a draft looks like with no picks in rounds 4, 5, 6, 7, 12 and 13 (Vick was my only saved player):

QB: Michael Vick, Chad Henne, Vince Young, Andy Dalton
RB: Steven Jackson, Cedric Benson, Marion Barber, Ricky Williams
WR: Nate Burleson, Steve Smith (CAR), Davone Bess, Robert Meacham
TE: Kellen Winslow, Anthony Fasano
K: David Akers, Jay Feely
D: Bears, 49ers

Dalton was the Mr. Irrelevant of our draft, wasn't much left in round 22 so a made a homer pick. We have to carry two TEs, Ks and Ds. People are looking forward to getting their crack at me this year after the past few years. :lol:

Caveat Emperor
09-09-2011, 12:05 PM
My other league is done drafting now -- this is a 10 team league, with keepers (can keep a player up to 3 years). I did some very shrewd drafting in the past (taking fliers on Rice as a rookie and Mendenhall as a 2nd year player) and now have a stock of 4 keepers that are all legitimate top-15 players, but 3 of them are expiring after this year, so it's my last real chance to dominate this league:

QBs: Matthew Stafford, Josh Freeman

RBs: Chris Jonson (Keeper), Ray Rice (Keeper), Rashard Mendenhall (Keeper), Daniel Thomas

WRs: Larry Fitzgerald (Keeper), Mike Wallace, Brandon Lloyd, Jacoby Ford, AJ Green

TEs: Jimmy Graham, Todd Heap

K: Sebastian Janikowski

DEF: Chicago

Mario-Rijo
09-10-2011, 09:58 AM
My other league is done drafting now -- this is a 10 team league, with keepers (can keep a player up to 3 years). I did some very shrewd drafting in the past (taking fliers on Rice as a rookie and Mendenhall as a 2nd year player) and now have a stock of 4 keepers that are all legitimate top-15 players, but 3 of them are expiring after this year, so it's my last real chance to dominate this league:

QBs: Matthew Stafford, Josh Freeman

RBs: Chris Jonson (Keeper), Ray Rice (Keeper), Rashard Mendenhall (Keeper), Daniel Thomas

WRs: Larry Fitzgerald (Keeper), Mike Wallace, Brandon Lloyd, Jacoby Ford, AJ Green

TEs: Jimmy Graham, Todd Heap

K: Sebastian Janikowski

DEF: Chicago

One heck of a team there! Great job... :thumbup:

bigredmechanism
09-13-2011, 12:02 AM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn178/maximusbluntus/Image5.png

I thought I was dead this week, but Brady went off tonight. I feel like this is a solid team, what say you all? No ppr ppc, non keeper.

Boss-Hog
09-13-2011, 10:01 AM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn178/maximusbluntus/Image5.png

I thought I was dead this week, but Brady went off tonight. I feel like this is a solid team, what say you all? No ppr ppc, non keeper.

How many teams are in your league?

bigredmechanism
09-13-2011, 10:14 AM
How many teams are in your league?

Ten teams. I had 1st pick overall.