PDA

View Full Version : What is your smartphone?

TRF
09-13-2011, 04:43 PM
I use a Dell Streak.

5" Screen
StreakDroid Custom ROM (FroYo 2.2.2, soon to be upgraded to GB 2.3.4)

Custom ROM runs nice and fast. I'll get reboots if my battery dips below 15%, but I can go a day and a half with moderate usage on a single charge. I don't use a ton of apps, rarely have GPS turned on. but web surfing on a 5 inch screen beats every other phone I have seen.

I'm hoping to get a Samsung Note, 5.3 inch screen.

Soooo. What do you have?

cincyinco
09-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Droid Incredible.. And it's still incredible. Just got Gingerbread.. Nice upgrade..

RedsManRick
09-13-2011, 06:52 PM
iPhone 4. My fiancee has a Droid X and I don't think it holds a candle from a user experience POV.

Stray
09-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Had an iPhone for years...it was okay. Right now I have a Droid X2, minus a few bugs here and there it's a really good phone. Really fast.

Had been waiting on the Bionic but after reading reviews I think I'll pass on it. The S2 is supposedly amazing, and I think HTC has a new phone coming out this fall.

TRF
09-13-2011, 06:59 PM
once you get used to a 5 inch screen you never want anything less. I wish Dell had marketed this beast better in the U.S.

TeamSelig
09-13-2011, 07:02 PM
iPhone 3GS.... love it

Stray
09-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Haha that seems like it would be a hassle to carry around. My buddy has a Samsung Infuse, it has a 4.5 in display I think...it's enormous. My X2 is 4.3.

WVRed
09-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Samsung Fascinate. One of the more user friendly Androids on the market. Tends to freeze up and the battery drains pretty quick though.

KittyDuran
09-13-2011, 09:45 PM
iPhone 3GS.... love it

Same here...

RBA
09-13-2011, 09:49 PM
HTV EVO. Use it as a hotspot for 3 family lapatops during the San Diego blackout! Great phone.

RFS62
09-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Droid X.

Almost too big. Had an IPhone before, which I liked more for the style. But the service was terrible with AT&T. May switch to the next I phone when it comes out on Verizon.

RedsBaron
09-13-2011, 09:59 PM
My wife and I each have an iPhone 3G but our 18 year old son, given his status, has an iPhone 4G. ;)

09-13-2011, 10:20 PM
I use a Dell Streak.

5" Screen
StreakDroid Custom ROM (FroYo 2.2.2, soon to be upgraded to GB 2.3.4)

Custom ROM runs nice and fast. I'll get reboots if my battery dips below 15%, but I can go a day and a half with moderate usage on a single charge. I don't use a ton of apps, rarely have GPS turned on. but web surfing on a 5 inch screen beats every other phone I have seen.

I'm hoping to get a Samsung Note, 5.3 inch screen.

Soooo. What do you have?

is this a phone? How do you make calls on something that big?

Razor Shines
09-13-2011, 10:26 PM
is this a phone? How do you make calls on something that big?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/06/dellstreakdialer06042010.jpg

SunDeck
09-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Droid Incredible.

Captain Hook
09-13-2011, 10:58 PM
iphone 4 for over a year now.Still works and looks the same way it did when I bought it.Got the 32GB so plenty of room for apps and music to keep me entertained.Never freezes up and has plenty of battery life.

While the phone is over a year old there's a new operating system coming out soon that should help speed it up some(although I have no complaints)and add some new features.The new update is likely to be a free download.

Red in Chicago
09-13-2011, 11:16 PM
iPhone 4 here. Quite happy with it.

pedro
09-13-2011, 11:39 PM
32 gb iPhone 4 on Verizon

Love it.

KronoRed
09-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Motorola Defy.

A nice simple android phone.

JaxRed
09-14-2011, 12:12 AM
I went from cheap pre-paid non-smart phone to cheap pre-paid Android. T-Mobile Comet. Loved Android so much I bought a ASUS Transformer Tablet.

LoganBuck
09-14-2011, 12:19 AM
HTC EVO 4G

Mine lives in an Otterbox, and is huge but I love it.

09-14-2011, 01:41 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/06/dellstreakdialer06042010.jpg

Very cool. Thanks.

I think this is the future. One device for phone, internet, games, wallet, etc, that everyone will have at all times.

BTW, just got the EVO and love it. It's the best and most intuitive interface I've ever used, and does everything I need it to do. I do like my games on my iPad better, but I think android will catch up on that area shortly.

Razor Shines
09-14-2011, 02:13 AM
I've had the EVO since it came out and am eligible for an upgrade but I'm waiting. Not impressed enough with the EVO 3D.

Most likely going to go iPhone 5 if Sprint really gets it, which it sounds like they will.

TRF
09-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Love my Streak. So naturally Dell discontinued it. They have a 4 inch android phone called the Venue and a windows 7 phone called the Venue Pro. There was a rumor they were producing another 5 inch phone called the Opus One, but that seems to have fizzled.

The Samsung Note, sold in Europe has a 5 inch screen. I'd love to get one as it is a dual processor phone.

This is the Streak I wanted to get...

http://images.kalahari.com/ann/all/lg/539/706/304/344/5397063043446.jpg

IslandRed
09-14-2011, 11:00 AM
iPhone 4 here.

It's funny how these things evolve -- back in the late '80s, simply having a cell phone of any kind was a big deal. Then having one small enough to fit in a pocket was. For quite a while, the race was to see who could create the smallest phone. Then the Internet-enabled smartphones came out and we're seeing size creep back up for the sake of better viewing.

As a practical matter, though, there's only so big a smartphone can get before it crosses over into tablet territory. As far as I'm concerned, the iPhone is nearly at the upper limit of what fits comfortably in a pocket. That's why I don't have an iPad yet -- I'm either at home in front of my computers, or on the go with the iPhone in my pocket. The in-between-ness of the iPad, as much as I like the concept, doesn't fit anywhere in my daily life.

bucksfan2
09-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Droid Eris. Awful phone, just awful. Has been slow since the day I got it and it locks up all the time. It was the cheaper version of the Droid but I would not recommend it to anyone.

TRF
09-14-2011, 11:25 AM
a 5 inch phone took a while to get used to. I am not sure i could ever use a smaller phone now. Dell actually listed it as a tablet/phone because of the size.

TRF
09-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Droid Eris. Awful phone, just awful. Has been slow since the day I got it and it locks up all the time. It was the cheaper version of the Droid but I would not recommend it to anyone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=554

Maybe a custom ROM will help your Eris.

bucksfan2
09-14-2011, 11:47 AM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=554

Maybe a custom ROM will help your Eris.

English please?

Actually I am just biding my time until I can get a new phone. Its sad because sometimes I have to use my wife's iphone to make calls. I would actually go back to my old flip phone but I like the camera, twitter (although it takes 2 minutes to load) and my daily Calvin and Hobbes comic.

Caveat Emperor
09-14-2011, 12:41 PM
iPhone 3GS -- waiting to see what Apple has in store for the next iPhone. I'm eligible to upgrade and am sitting on a $200 Apple gift card that I received for Christmas last year, but I'm not going to upgrade if the new iPhone isn't a complete redesign.

I refuse to buy a phone that's made of glass. I need it to survive a 2 year contract, and I don't foresee any way possible that I can go 2 years without dropping my phone at least once. Combine that with reports of these things shattering on first drop, and that's a "no buy" for me if they don't switch to more reliable materials.

Caveat Emperor
09-14-2011, 12:43 PM
As a practical matter, though, there's only so big a smartphone can get before it crosses over into tablet territory. As far as I'm concerned, the iPhone is nearly at the upper limit of what fits comfortably in a pocket. That's why I don't have an iPad yet -- I'm either at home in front of my computers, or on the go with the iPhone in my pocket. The in-between-ness of the iPad, as much as I like the concept, doesn't fit anywhere in my daily life.

Yeah -- I don't get the appeal of huge-screen phones. At some point, it has to get annoying carrying it around in a pocket or trying to use it with one hand.

TRF
09-14-2011, 12:59 PM
English please?

Actually I am just biding my time until I can get a new phone. Its sad because sometimes I have to use my wife's iphone to make calls. I would actually go back to my old flip phone but I like the camera, twitter (although it takes 2 minutes to load) and my daily Calvin and Hobbes comic.

Your phone comes with a stock version of android. developed by the maker of the phone. The custom ROMS, at least some of them are faster. Cyanogen Mod is the most well known and stable, but there are like 10 different ROMs for the Eris. MIUI is the fastest that I know of, and almost all these ROMs run Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

There are instructions on how to flash these ROMs to your phone. If you decide to upgrade to a new phone and can keep this one, use it to try one of those custom ROMs out. Never hurts to tinker if there is no risk :)

TRF
09-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah -- I don't get the appeal of huge-screen phones. At some point, it has to get annoying carrying it around in a pocket or trying to use it with one hand.

web is better. I almost never need to use one hand. i rarely think about it anymore in my pocket. And EVERYONE that sees me use it asks me what the hell it is. I've actually had people ask me if it is an iPad. :laugh:

Plus I can set my LCD density to 200. helps on my old eyes a bit.

Has anyone installed a custom launcher? I use Go Launcher EX. I can uninstall apps from the drawer, it has a built in task killer, and I can add as many screens as i want.

RichRed
09-14-2011, 01:27 PM
iPhone 4 here.

It's funny how these things evolve -- back in the late '80s, simply having a cell phone of any kind was a big deal. Then having one small enough to fit in a pocket was. For quite a while, the race was to see who could create the smallest phone. Then the Internet-enabled smartphones came out and we're seeing size creep back up for the sake of better viewing.

I was thinking the same thing. It's funny how, as computers have gotten smaller, phones have gotten bigger. That thing TRF has looks like sort of a culmination of this phenomenon.

Stray
09-14-2011, 03:27 PM
web is better. I almost never need to use one hand. i rarely think about it anymore in my pocket. And EVERYONE that sees me use it asks me what the hell it is. I've actually had people ask me if it is an iPad. :laugh:

Plus I can set my LCD density to 200. helps on my old eyes a bit.

Has anyone installed a custom launcher? I use Go Launcher EX. I can uninstall apps from the drawer, it has a built in task killer, and I can add as many screens as i want.

Yeah I have Go Launcher on my Droid. I like it a lot better than what came on the phone. There is a lot of room to customize it which I like. One of my gripes about my iPhone was how little room there was to customize it...well unless it was jailbroken.

BuckeyeRed27
09-14-2011, 04:01 PM

I had this phone and agree completely. The screen broke a month after the warranty and I've been stuck using a 3 year old blackberry until I can get a new phone next month.

I think they only made this phone for about 4 months and replaced it with the Droid Incredible anyways.

cincyinco
09-14-2011, 11:40 PM
English please?

You need to root your phone, aka jailbreak it, so you can load custom operating systems that may help your performance issues out..

gilpdawg
09-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Samsung Captivate (the AT&T version of the Galaxy S line) running CyanogenMod 7 Nightlies. Tried MIUI once, didn't really care for the UI.

gilpdawg
09-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Yeah I have Go Launcher on my Droid. I like it a lot better than what came on the phone. There is a lot of room to customize it which I like. One of my gripes about my iPhone was how little room there was to customize it...well unless it was jailbroken.

CM7 comes with ADW Launcher, so that is what I use. I've always been a little curious about the other launchers though, but I'm too lazy to install another one and redo all my shortcuts. :)

TRF
09-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Both my wife and daughter have the Captivate. neither will let me near their phones to root them and install Cyanogen.

sheep. too afraid I'll brick the phone.

gilpdawg
09-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Both my wife and daughter have the Captivate. neither will let me near their phones to root them and install Cyanogen.

sheep. too afraid I'll brick the phone.

In their defense, the Cappy is probably one of the easiest Android phones to hard brick. You have to be extra careful, not like the Aria I used to have before I busted the screen, where you did everything from Clockwork. On the Cappy, sometimes you have to go to stock and re-root before flashing, sometimes you have to flash different bootloaders, or change the file system, it's a mess. I spent hours and hours on XDA before I took the plunge. The Aria was simple by comparison, but I've learned a lot by having this phone, so it's worth it, because I will probably never have difficulty with future phones.

And, unless Cyanogen goes away at some point, I will never have a phone that doesn't run it. It's simply the best.

TRF
09-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Some are trying to bring Cyanogen to the Streak. I'm trying to be patient. :(

bklynkenny
09-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Looks like I'm the only one with a Blackberry.

KronoRed
09-24-2011, 11:36 PM

At least it's not Windows Mobile :D

dougdirt
09-25-2011, 02:42 PM
I had this phone and agree completely. The screen broke a month after the warranty and I've been stuck using a 3 year old blackberry until I can get a new phone next month.

I think they only made this phone for about 4 months and replaced it with the Droid Incredible anyways.

I have had the Eris for what seems like forever. I think I am the only person in the history of the phone who hasn't had issues with it. Everyone I know who had one hated it and had problems almost from the start. I have never had a problem in at least 18 months with the phone.

vaticanplum
09-26-2011, 11:15 PM

BlackBerry here! My first BlackBerry was AWFUL but it got replaced for free with insurance. The one I have now is about two years old, I think, and fine. I'm not really so good with the phones and I am definitely awful with touch screens. The BlackBerry is a corporate holdover and still, i think, probably the easiest thing to use for e-mail and almost nothing else. I pretty much only use it for e-mail (and phone and texting), so it's fine for me.

I don't even know if they make BlackBerrys without touch screens anymore. If not I don't know what I'll do when this one goes. I still mourn the loss of my LG, the greatest little phone ever made. Did everything right, good size and weight, and lasted forever until the charger spikes got knocked out of line.

Boss-Hog
09-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Droid X

Benihana
09-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Have had a Blackberry for the past 3 years and now debating either the new BB Bold or the iPhone 5. I use it mostly for emails so not sure if I'll like the iPhone touchpad.

Caveat Emperor
09-27-2011, 12:12 AM
Have had a Blackberry for the past 3 years and now debating either the new BB Bold or the iPhone 5. I use it mostly for emails so not sure if I'll like the iPhone touchpad.

It takes about 2-3 weeks to get used to, but I feel like I type just as fast on the touch-keyboard now as I used to on the physical keyboard with my Treo. The only thing I miss is the ability to type without looking at my fingers. It's nearly impossible to touch-type on the iPhone.

gilpdawg
09-27-2011, 06:53 AM
It takes about 2-3 weeks to get used to, but I feel like I type just as fast on the touch-keyboard now as I used to on the physical keyboard with my Treo. The only thing I miss is the ability to type without looking at my fingers. It's nearly impossible to touch-type on the iPhone.
I hate typing on an iProduct, except the iPad isn't bad because the buttons are so big. On a smaller screen Swype is a godsend. Couldn't live without it. Well, I guess I COULD, but I don't want to. ;)

Caveman Techie
09-27-2011, 05:58 PM
I've got the HTC Thunderbolt. I upgraded from an Blackberry Storm II and the difference is amazing. I love the speed and customization of the Android OS. I'd say the only disappointment on the Thunderbolt was the battery life, with normal use I can barely get back home at the end of the day with a charge left in it. I'm going to get the extended battery for it and see if that helps out any.

jimbo
09-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Still with my original Droid, but have my every 2 year upgrade coming up in a couple of months. Can't decide on whether to stay with an Android phone or switch to an iphone.

vaticanplum
09-27-2011, 06:31 PM

Touch screens are also supposed to be bad for your wrists and hands. But non-touch screens are bad for your thumbs, so what are you gonna do.

KronoRed
09-27-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm waiting for the phones that can actually do what you tell them, not "Call mom" turning into "call Bob".

Raisor
09-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Blackberry Curve. My first smart phone. Battery sucks but it's a nice enough phone

cinredsfan2000
09-27-2011, 09:20 PM
SPRINT EVO pretty nice phone except for the battery life :thumbdown:

Reds4Life
09-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Droid X.

It's ok, the Gingerbread release from Moto sucked, there was all kinds of keyboard and freezing issues that just got fixed via update.

I have an upgrading waiting, will see what the iPhone 5 looks like and might end up with that, even though I swore I would never use an Apple product.

RBA
10-03-2011, 05:20 PM
It's looking like the IPhone 5 will be an exclusive for Sprint to 2015. Sprint is making a big gamble.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/03/sprint-guarantees-to-buy-over-20-billion-in-iphones-from-apple-launching-the-iphone-5-exclusively/

TRF
10-03-2011, 06:47 PM
The Samsing Galaxy Note is coming to the U.S., probably to AT&T
http://phandroid.com/2011/09/30/samsung-galaxy-note-gt-i9220-passes-through-fcc-headed-to-the-north-america/

This will be the phone that replaces my Dell Streak. 5.3 inch screen 1.4 ghz dual processors.

drool.

NorrisHopper30
10-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Team BlackBerry!!!

durl
10-04-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm still using a 2-year old Palm Pre from Sprint. I love webOS.

I just ordered a Pre 2 from Verizon and I'm really counting on HP to continue their commitment to webOS. It's an incredible mobile platform that suffered from poor hardware choices and even worse marketing.

FutureRedsGM
10-04-2011, 09:17 PM
So, now that I'm thoroughly disappointed with the iPhone "4S" offering, does anyone have any good AT&T smartphone suggestions for this former iPhone fanboy? Does anything have the technology to wirelessly charge?

Caveat Emperor
10-05-2011, 02:36 AM
The "S" Upgrade -- Screwing people on odd-numbered cell phone agreements since 2009.

What a dud product announcement by Apple.

lidspinner
10-05-2011, 09:30 AM
I have the iphone 4 and I love it...have had tons of smartphones and they all have their pluses and minuses....it just seems for me the iphone 4 has less minuses(oh yeah) than any other smartphone out there that I have tried....I am intrigued by some of the dell phones but I have never tried them....for what I need a smartphone to do, apple is right up my alley....I need my smartphones to be:

Fast
Reliable
good battery
lots of storage for music and apps and pics
easy U.I.
easy to sync to my computer...and i have a NON mac
a good calendar system...this is the only area where the iphone is lacking
easy to jailbreak
easy internet surfing

these are the things that mean the most to me when using a smartphone as I dont use the iphone for work, so 99% of my usage is just general fun stuff and the iphone 4 is perfect for that....it really is simple and if your just using it for internet and texting and crap like that then I dont see how anyone would want anything but the iphone 4.....

Now, if your using it for work and need office or word or some form of that stuff, then there are several phones I would consider over the iphone....you can still use word and office and excel with the iphone, its just not as user friendly and not as fast as other phones.....

I also dont see why anyone who has the 4 or the 3gs would want to upgrade to this new iphone 4S....it just dont seem like its much of an upgrade over the 4.....save your upgrade and get the 5 when it comes out in the spring or fall of 2012.....seems like a no brainer to me and i really think Apple struck out worse than Adam Dunn with this new phone....I see them losing a ton of customers to Sprint if the rumnors are true with the iphone5...time will tell

TRF
10-05-2011, 10:52 AM
So, now that I'm thoroughly disappointed with the iPhone "4S" offering, does anyone have any good AT&T smartphone suggestions for this former iPhone fanboy? Does anything have the technology to wirelessly charge?

Well Android is the way to go IMO. and AT&T is horrible about promoting them, but they do have some nice options. The Samsung Galaxy S II is supposed to be the cream of the crop. HTC's Inspire is AT&T's version of the Evo. The Sony Xperia Play has a playstation type controller that slides out for gaming. The Samsung Infuse has a 4.5 inch screen, bigger than the Evo and the LG Thrill has a 3D screen. no glasses needed.

Caveat Emperor
10-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I also dont see why anyone who has the 4 or the 3gs would want to upgrade to this new iphone 4S....it just dont seem like its much of an upgrade over the 4.....save your upgrade and get the 5 when it comes out in the spring or fall of 2012.....seems like a no brainer to me and i really think Apple struck out worse than Adam Dunn with this new phone....I see them losing a ton of customers to Sprint if the rumnors are true with the iphone5...time will tell

My 3GS has a faulty radio, and I can't any signal unless I drop back to EDGE data.

It's been annoying in any number of ways, not the least of which being that when I set my phone on the nightstand before bed the EDGE frequency causes my clock-radio to sound like alien signals are being emitted. Only way to keep it anywhere near me (in case I get a call at night) is to turn the data functions of manually every night.

I was really hoping fro a re-designed iPhone -- but this is garbage. No way I'm signing a 2 year service agreement and locking myself into the "down" upgrade cycle (while watching everyone get flashy new phones next summer).

pedro
10-05-2011, 01:13 PM
My 3GS has a faulty radio, and I can't any signal unless I drop back to EDGE data.

It's been annoying in any number of ways, not the least of which being that when I set my phone on the nightstand before bed the EDGE frequency causes my clock-radio to sound like alien signals are being emitted. Only way to keep it anywhere near me (in case I get a call at night) is to turn the data functions of manually every night.

That used to annoy the crap out of me.

Went away when I moved to the 4 on Verizon.

IslandRed
10-05-2011, 06:31 PM
I think if they'd called it "iPhone 5" and redesigned the case, and everything else was the same as the 4S, people would have a much more positive reaction to it.

I would guess the Next Big Thing isn't ready yet and this gives them something in the meantime to sell to all the people whose 3GS contracts are up.

Stray
10-06-2011, 12:03 AM

I would definitely go with the Samsung Galaxy S2. It might be the best phone out there. If that isn't an option for you I've heard good things about the Samsung Infuse (if you like bigger screens) and the HTC Inspire.

Razor Shines
10-19-2011, 12:06 PM
So I ended up getting a 4s. I wasn't going to but a couple days before the launch my wife's phone was stolen. I offered for her to get the iPhone but she said she'd rather have my evo.

I didn't think id say this but it's better than my evo, and it's not really close.

kaldaniels
10-19-2011, 12:19 PM
So I ended up getting a 4s. I wasn't going to but a couple days before the launch my wife's phone was stolen. I offered for her to get the iPhone but she said she'd rather have my evo.

I didn't think id say this but it's better than my evo, and it's not really close.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this and was hoping someone would chime in. Thanks!

FutureRedsGM
10-19-2011, 07:09 PM

So shortly after posting this and getting the board's input, I bought the Samsung Galaxy SII. That lasted for about a week and I realized I'm too set in my ways and I returned the droid phone and got the new 4S. It's really a great phone, regardless of having the same exterior as it's predecessor. The dual processor is crazy fast and the camera is the best I've ever owned.

dougdirt
10-19-2011, 07:49 PM
The new sneak peak of Android's "Ice Cream Sandwich" platform has me pretty excited. I am eligible for an upgrade currently, but am probably going to wait it out for a while since my phone currently is still working well.

Caveat Emperor
10-20-2011, 11:14 PM
I demoed a SG2 at an AT&T store, and just didn't like the look and feel of the phone or the Android OS. I, too, ended up buying a new 4S.

In a word: Wow.

The new processor makes everything fly on the phone, and the HSPA+ chip really does deliver MUCH faster 3G service than I ever got on the 3GS (I confirmed with Speedtest that I'm getting well in excess of 2X the speed of my friends with iPhone 4s) and all with unlimited data on the grandfathered AT&T plan.

Really happy with the 4S so far. I also sprung for an Otterbox case, which should hopefully keep the phone well protected should I decide to sell when the 5 comes out.

Caveat Emperor
10-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Found this interesting:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/12/a-visual-tour-of-androids-ui/

A little peek at what Android would have looked like had it not been for Eric Schmidt sitting on Apple's board of directors and getting an up-close look at the then-iPhoneOS.

cinreds21
10-22-2011, 11:21 PM
I have a iPhone 4. I want to get the 4S because of Siri and the better camera, but I am just going to wait for the iPhone 5.

IslandRed
10-23-2011, 01:27 PM
I have a iPhone 4. I want to get the 4S because of Siri and the better camera, but I am just going to wait for the iPhone 5.

Same here. I like the improvements, but not enough to pay extra. The 5 will likely come out after I'm upgrade-eligible.

cinreds21
10-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Same here. I like the improvements, but not enough to pay extra. The 5 will likely come out after I'm upgrade-eligible.

Samesies.

RBA
10-24-2011, 03:03 PM
I think I will keep my HTC EVO. The Iphone 4S is better, but not that much better. I am glad I am not one of those Apple snobs you looks down on anything not Apple.

RFS62
10-24-2011, 08:12 PM
I am glad I am not one of those Apple snobs you looks down on anything not Apple.

Pardon me.... could you pass the Grey Poupon?

kpresidente
10-30-2011, 05:12 AM
Found this interesting:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/12/a-visual-tour-of-androids-ui/
A little peek at what Android would have looked like had it not been for Eric Schmidt sitting on Apple's board of directors and getting an up-close look at the then-iPhoneOS.

Read somewhere that Steve Jobs thought Android was a "stolen idea" and that he'd made it his single mission to "destroy Android."

Yet everything new of consequence in the new iOS was stolen from Android. I guess he gave up.

Caveat Emperor
10-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Read somewhere that Steve Jobs thought Android was a "stolen idea" and that he'd made it his single mission to "destroy Android."

Yet everything new of consequence in the new iOS was stolen from Android. I guess he gave up.

If you're talking about the new notification system, they stole that from the Apple jailbreak community -- specifically Notification Bar and LockInfo.

Razor Shines
11-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Google maps is way better on Android than it is on the iphone. Only complaint I have so far.

Redhook
11-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Is the iphone 4s worth the extra $100 over the 4? I could care less about Siri, but is the camera and speed that much better? My wife and I are going to get iphones soon. Neither of us have had an iphone before.

Thanks!

BuckeyeRed27
11-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Is the iphone 4s worth the extra $100 over the 4? I could care less about Siri, but is the camera and speed that much better? My wife and I are going to get iphones soon. Neither of us have had an iphone before.

Thanks!

I would say it is worth it. It is faster and the camera is better (although the camera on the 4 is good too). You care less about Siri now, but just wait until you have her :)

Redhook
11-18-2011, 10:50 PM
I would say it is worth it. It is faster and the camera is better (although the camera on the 4 is good too). You care less about Siri now, but just wait until you have her :)

:laugh:

Thanks!

Razor Shines
11-19-2011, 01:16 AM
Yeah you should care about Siri, she cares about you.

Redhook
11-23-2011, 08:30 AM
I ordered Siri yesterday over the phone from some guy in India. I'm wondering if a phone or a woman will arrive at my doorstep next week. :p

SultanOfSwing
11-25-2011, 11:10 AM
BlackBerry. I first bought one two years ago and haven't looked back since. I've owned iPhones, Windows Mobile phones, and several of the top Android phones, but not one could come close to my BlackBerry experience. I do currently use an Android handset as well, but very, very rarely.

I now have the Bold 9900 on AT&T. It's by far the fastest phone I've used and has true multi-tasking and the fastest web browser on the market. Also, the keyboard is, of course, incredible.

Caveat Emperor
11-29-2011, 03:32 AM
For the iPhone users:

Go grab iTether ($14.99) off the App Store before Apple pulls it. It enables internet tethering (using your phone's 3G internet signal) on your iPhone via USB without the added plan charges AT&T requires or the need to dump your unlimited internet plan (if you've been grandfathered in on prior capless plans).

gilpdawg
11-29-2011, 05:54 AM
For the iPhone users:

Go grab iTether ($14.99) off the App Store before Apple pulls it. It enables internet tethering (using your phone's 3G internet signal) on your iPhone via USB without the added plan charges AT&T requires or the need to dump your unlimited internet plan (if you've been grandfathered in on prior capless plans).Be careful with that. ATT has been busting people. Speculation is that they are catching people by checking browser strings.