PDA

View Full Version : 2012 schedule released

Danny Serafini
09-14-2011, 11:11 AM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/09/14/reds-host-tigers-twins-go-to-new-yankee-staduim/?source=nletter-nletter-breakingnews

Opening Day is April 6 vs. the Marlins. That's a Friday, and there is no off day scheduled the day after, unlike recent years. Interleague has Tigers and Twins coming to town, Reds play at the Yankees, and the normal home-and-home with Cleveland. Season ends Wednesday, Oct. 3 in St. Louis.

oneupper
09-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Miami in mid-September. Pennant race hopefully.
That is the height of the hurricane season around here, so retractable roof and all, it could be a problem.

I'll be there, but I guess if I want to see some games, I'm going to have to get my butt up to Cincy next year.

oneupper
09-14-2011, 11:29 AM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/09/14/reds-host-tigers-twins-go-to-new-yankee-staduim/?source=nletter-nletter-breakingnews

Season ends Wednesday, Sept. 3 in St. Louis.

I know you meant Oct 3. Tough place to end the season.

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-14-2011, 11:38 AM
The Indians visit Cincinnati for a mid-week series next year - that's a first. And the late May trip to new Yankee Stadium looks like a shoe-in for away series next year!

Reds Fanatic
09-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Interesting they pushed the season back a week next year. This year we started in late March and end in late September. Now they start a week later. I thought they were pushing the season up to get the postseason done earlier.

Another note opening day April 6th is also Good Friday next year.

oneupper
09-14-2011, 11:40 AM
The Yankee series is preceded by a two game set with the Mets at Citi field. Five straight games in New York in may.

reds1869
09-14-2011, 11:46 AM
The long tradition of children skipping school for Opening Day will take a hit since April 6 is, as Reds Fanatic pointed out, Good Friday.

BCubb2003
09-14-2011, 11:55 AM
It's a far cry fron when Cincinnati traditionally ushered in the season. Now it's not even the opening series.

_Sir_Charles_
09-14-2011, 12:04 PM
It's a far cry fron when Cincinnati traditionally ushered in the season. Now it's not even the opening series.

You got me curious with this statement. Wow. If I were a Marlins fan, I'd be kinda upset. Their schedule is REALLY screwy.

They play the cards at home on Weds to open the season. Then they're off thursday, play a 3 game set in Cincy, followed by a 3 game set in Philly that's split up in the middle of it with a day off. Monday, Weds & Thurs. That's just weird.

JaxRed
09-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Luckily there are no Marlins fans....

_Sir_Charles_
09-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Luckily there are no Marlins fans....

Now, come on. There's the players' wives...ummm...a few relatives...team employees maybe. :p

HeatherC1212
09-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Bummed they're not playing up at Target Field in MN this year. I was hoping to make a trip up there next summer. I love the Minn.-St. Paul area and really wanted to see our guys play there. Oh well.

I may actually be able to get to Opening Day this year without missing much work. We always have a half day off on Good Friday so I only have to take off a half day off to head downtown for all the festivities. Now all I need to do is get some daggone tickets this year! :p

Chip R
09-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Why in the world are they playing the Yankees again when they played them this year?

Hoosier Red
09-14-2011, 01:02 PM
You got me curious with this statement. Wow. If I were a Marlins fan, I'd be kinda upset. Their schedule is REALLY screwy.

They play the cards at home on Weds to open the season. Then they're off thursday, play a 3 game set in Cincy, followed by a 3 game set in Philly that's split up in the middle of it with a day off. Monday, Weds & Thurs. That's just weird.

I'm guessing it's a reward, letting them open the season at home and it was the only way to shoe horn it in.

traderumor
09-14-2011, 01:08 PM
So they scrapped the week early idea after one year?

redsfan30
09-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Kind of a quirky schedule, but I like it.

I like opening with the Marlins because it's not the Cubs. We've opened four times that I can think of with Chicago and that is stale.

Not sure why but I have a feeling Opening Day will be a 4:10 start this coming year. It's a Friday and the city will want Opening Day traffic to filter into downtown/Banks area to start the weekend off.

Playing five straight days in New York City is wierd but cool.

Odd that the Reds/Indians series are off of weekends and on top of that they are in back to back weeks.

reds1869
09-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Why in the world are they playing the Yankees again when they played them this year?

Because the AL Central only has five teams to the NL Central's six. MLB has to assign a random team to us to balance out the schedule.

SirFelixCat
09-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Happy that the Reds are coming to Denver earlier in the year, instead of September, like they have the 3 years previous. Maybe we can actually see a win next year!

And the month of July looks like it will definitely define the season. Heck of a homestand coming out of the break.

Chip R
09-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Because the AL Central only has five teams to the NL Central's six. MLB has to assign a random team to us to balance out the schedule.

I understand that but why the Yankees? Why not the Orioles again or the Angels or the Mariners?

cumberlandreds
09-14-2011, 02:39 PM
The Reds are coming to DC on my birthday. I guess I know what I will be doing on my 49th birthday. :)

That 5 game trip to New York to play the Mets and Yankees is about the weirdest scheduling I have ever seen.
If the Reds are still in contention by July that month will define the season.

Tornon
09-14-2011, 03:51 PM
I also find it weird that there are 2 series in Citi Field a month apart from each other

Sea Ray
09-14-2011, 03:55 PM
I'll be there, but I guess if I want to see some games, I'm going to have to get my butt up to Cincy next year.

We'd love to have you. C'mon up!

Sea Ray
09-14-2011, 03:58 PM

So the official MLB season opens when, on Wednesday?

Matt700wlw
09-14-2011, 06:30 PM
So the official MLB season opens when, on Wednesday?

Yes, with 1 game...Marlins vs Cardinals.

Then there are games Thursday, and the Reds open on Friday, along with other games.

Findlay Market vendors are already balking on the idea of doing an Opening Day Parade due to it being Good Friday, one of their busiest days.

So much for tradition (or what was left of it), Bud Selig.

I've also heard the Reds are trying to get their opening day changed to Thursday. The schedule is only "tentative" at this point.

Reds Fanatic
09-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Yes, with 1 game...Marlins vs Cardinals.

Then there are games Thursday, and the Reds open on Friday, along with other games.

Findlay Market vendors are already balking on the idea of doing an Opening Day Parade due to it being Good Friday, one of their busiest days.

So much for tradition (or what was left of it), Bud Selig.

I've also heard the Reds are trying to get their opening day changed to Thursday. The schedule is only "tentative" at this point.

I would not be surprised if they end up getting this moved to Thursday. The Reds have always wanted that off day after opening day which gives them a backup plan in case of rain on opening day.

WVRed
09-14-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm kinda disappointed with the schedule for going to PNC to see the Reds play the Pirates.

I'm getting married in late June, they are making two trips to Pittsburgh in May and another in late September. Was kinda hoping to take my future wife to a Reds game on Friday and go to Hershey Park on Saturday. Guess that scenario needs some tweaking. :(

_Sir_Charles_
09-14-2011, 08:31 PM
The Reds are trying to get Opening Day pushed back from Friday, April 6, to Thursday, April 5, to avoid the Good Friday conflict.
“What most fans don’t understand is that last season was the first change off our traditional Monday,” said chief operating officer Phil Castellini. “It was the goal to get the season to end earlier to get playoffs to start earlier and to end sooner. Last year, the first date was a Friday and we got it moved to a Thursday.
“We’re actively pursuing that this year. We’re not wild about a Good Friday Opening Day either. The No. 1 thing to know is no matter what it’s going to be Reds Opening Day. There’s going to be a parade one way or another. It’s certainly harder on Findlay Market the closer you get to a weekend. So one or another we’ll work around those issues.
“We’re trying to get the date changed but it’s going to be some time before we know whether or not that’s possible.”

HeatherC1212
09-15-2011, 09:57 AM
I understand that but why the Yankees? Why not the Orioles again or the Angels or the Mariners?

I think it has more to do with the Cleveland home and away series than it has to do with the amount of teams in each division when we play the AL Central. The Cleveland series basically doesn't count as us playing an AL Central foe since we all ready play the Indians six times every single year, so they just pick a random team and we end up playing them to fill out our schedule. I remember the year after the last time we played the AL East, we ended up having to play Toronto again for the second year in a row (that was 2009 I believe). It's weird but I guess they don't have another way to do it. I wonder if they just pull a name out of a hat for us with regards to that random other team we're playing next year. I don't know. At any rate I bet the guys are kind of excited to go to Yankee Stadium. Some of them were there during the last year of the old one too so this should be kind of cool for them to see the new one next year. :)

15fan
09-15-2011, 10:20 PM
2 games in Atlanta.

Oh how I loathe 3 divisions, interleague play, and all the other evil that Bud Selig hath wrought.

Chip R
09-15-2011, 10:38 PM
2 games in Atlanta.

Oh how I loathe 3 divisions, interleague play, and all the other evil that Bud Selig hath wrought.

Totally agree.

oneupper
09-15-2011, 10:46 PM
What's with Phllly? Eight games this year, seven games next. Only 6 with the Marlins. Who understands this stuff?

Unassisted
09-15-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm happier with this schedule than the 2011 schedule. 2 weekend series in Houston this year, including one on Labor Day weekend!

If Houston moves to the AL West, as it is rumored the commissioner has requested for 2013, these could be the last series in Houston for a while.

Tony Cloninger
09-17-2011, 12:31 AM
I always thought being the team that always gets the opener before everyone was cool..... but that is long gone now and this day off after the opener is just annoying and the possible rain out excuse not valid anymore.

How many times does this team get rained out on opening day? So what of they do? Most likely you would know right away that it could happen and you cancel and play the opener the next day. Why is this so hard to do?

The stupid Indians series. I am sure these teams could say...... No mas to this.

reds1869
09-17-2011, 08:32 AM
The stupid Indians series. I am sure these teams could say...... No mas to this.

$$$$$$$$$$$. As long as the "Ohio Cup" packs more fans into the seats than normal it will be played.

Danny Serafini
09-17-2011, 02:56 PM

The Indians series are the only interleague series I really care about. I'd much rather have a second Cleveland series than the annual trip to Toronto or some western team I don't care about.

jhc2010
09-19-2011, 09:31 PM
The West Coast road trip at the end of June/beginning of July is going to be huge. 4 games at San Francisco, 3 at Los Angeles Dodgers, and 3 at San Diego all consecutively with no days off.

The Reds will visit Citi Field in New York twice this season. The Reds do not see any other non-divisional team more than twice.

Holidays:
Easter (Sunday, April 8) - Home vs. Florida
Memorial Day (Monday, May 28) - at Pittsburgh
Independence Day (Wednesday, July 4) - at Los Angeles Dodgers
Labor Day (Monday, September 3) - Home vs. Philadelphia

Here's the breakdown...

NL East
NYM - 8 games - 3 home, 5 away
PHI - 7 games - 3 home, 4 away
WAS - 7 games - 3 home, 4 away
FLA - 6 games - 3 home, 3 away
ATL - 6 games - 4 home, 2 away

NL Central
PIT - 18 games - 9 home, 9 away
CHC - 16 games - 6 home, 10 away
STL - 15 games - 9 home, 6 away
MIL - 15 games - 9 home, 6 away
HOU - 15 games - 6 home, 9 away

NL West
SD - 8 games - 4 home, 4 away
ARI - 7 games - 4 home, 3 away
SF - 7 games - 3 home, 4 away
LAD - 6 games - 3 home, 3 away
COL - 6 games - 3 home, 3 away

Interleague
CLE - 6 games - 3 home, 3 away
DET - 3 games - 3 home
MIN - 3 games - 3 home
NYY - 3 games - 3 away

Breakdown by month:
April - 22 games - 12 home, 10 away
May - 29 games - 13 home, 16 away
June - 27 games - 15 home, 12 away
July - 26 games - 12 home, 14 away
August - 29 games - 14 home, 15 away
September - 25 games - 15 home, 10 away
October - 3 games - 0 home, 3 away

vaticanplum
09-20-2011, 01:19 PM
On a completely personal note, looking at this schedule brings home the reality of my only having to live in Boston for TWO months of next season. Then I am DONE. And the Reds play in Pittsburgh a hot minute after I graduate in May, which I assume is their welcome home present. And the Reds will not be mathematically eliminated by May. I hope.

GAC
09-27-2011, 05:46 AM
The Reds are trying to get Opening Day pushed back from Friday, April 6, to Thursday, April 5, to avoid the Good Friday conflict.
“What most fans don’t understand is that last season was the first change off our traditional Monday,” said chief operating officer Phil Castellini. “It was the goal to get the season to end earlier to get playoffs to start earlier and to end sooner. Last year, the first date was a Friday and we got it moved to a Thursday.
“We’re actively pursuing that this year. We’re not wild about a Good Friday Opening Day either. The No. 1 thing to know is no matter what it’s going to be Reds Opening Day. There’s going to be a parade one way or another. It’s certainly harder on Findlay Market the closer you get to a weekend. So one or another we’ll work around those issues.
“We’re trying to get the date changed but it’s going to be some time before we know whether or not that’s possible.”

I hope they get this thing worked out within the next couple of months. Honda has their employees start their advanced vacation scheduling for the upcoming year in November, and it's a real dog-fight to get days off since it's based on seniority.

I guess I'll play it safe and try to put in for Thursday anyway. Still going to be hard to get though because people like to add days on, and extend, those 3 day weekends. May have to bribe someone. ;)

Sea Ray
09-27-2011, 09:20 AM
I hope they get this thing worked out within the next couple of months. Honda has their employees start their advanced vacation scheduling for the upcoming year in November, and it's a real dog-fight to get days off since it's based on seniority.

I guess I'll play it safe and try to put in for Thursday anyway. Still going to be hard to get though because people like to add days on, and extend, those 3 day weekends. May have to bribe someone. ;)

I think their chances are pretty good of getting this changed

Chip R
09-27-2011, 09:43 AM

Why do you believe that? I think there's something in the CBA that says a team has to have a day off after a 1 game "series" which the Marlins open up with on the Wednesday before.

NJReds
09-27-2011, 09:49 AM
The Yankee series is preceded by a two game set with the Mets at Citi field. Five straight games in New York in may.

:thumbup:

Sea Ray
09-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Why do you believe that? I think there's something in the CBA that says a team has to have a day off after a 1 game "series" which the Marlins open up with on the Wednesday before.

Thanks for that info Chip. I didn't realize that the schedule was set up that way. I'm sure that the Wednesday game between the Cardinals and Marlins will be a night game making it almost impossible for the Marlins to make it to Cincinnati for a day game on Thurs.

Why in the world did MLB set it up this way? Every team in MLB is off on Wed except for two teams and MLB gives the Reds one of them. I didn't realize that our Opening Day opponent will be playing their 2nd game of the year. How strange. I always assumed the Wed opponents would have an off day on Thurs and then continue their series on Fri-Sun.

Having been educated by Chip, I've changed my view. First of all the Reds are being royally screwed by MLB. I think they'll have their parade and festivities on Thurs but the game itself will have to wait until Friday. I bet that's how it'll work out.

It's bad enough that we're not the traditional opener anymore but would it be too much to ask to get an opponent who's also playing in their first game? Seems to me this would work out fine if MLB scheduled any team vs the Reds other than the Cards or Marlins. What a mess and there's no reason for it.

Chip R
09-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks for that info Chip. I didn't realize that the schedule was set up that way. I'm sure that the Wednesday game between the Cardinals and Marlins will be a night game making it almost impossible for the Marlins to make it to Cincinnati for a day game on Thurs.

Why in the world did MLB set it up this way? Every team in MLB is off on Wed except for two teams and MLB gives the Reds one of them. I didn't realize that our Opening Day opponent will be playing their 2nd game of the year. How strange. I always assumed the Wed opponents would have an off day on Thurs and then continue their series on Fri-Sun.

Having been educated by Chip, I've changed my view. First of all the Reds are being royally screwed by MLB. I think they'll have their parade and festivities on Thurs but the game itself will have to wait until Friday. I bet that's how it'll work out.

It's bad enough that we're not the traditional opener anymore but would it be too much to ask to get an opponent who's also playing in their first game? Seems to me this would work out fine if MLB scheduled any team vs the Reds other than the Cards or Marlins. What a mess and there's no reason for it.

MLB set it up like this so the Marlins could open their new stadium on that Wednesday. I'm sure there were some kind of backroom deals that had to do with the stadium that ended up with Selig promising the Marlins that they would have that day to themselves (and StL). I doubt that the opener down there will be a night game. Those openers usually are day games.

I suppose they could have the parade and stuff on Thursday with the game being on Friday but that's asking a lot of people to get off work for the parade on Thursday and the game the next day. I'm all for having everything on Friday since I'm not Catholic. But I can see why the Reds and the city want to move it to Thursday. If they really want it moved to Thursday, they should have local Catholic groups try to influence Selig & Co. to change that.

Oh, and by the way, this tradition Phil Castilinni speaks of about having Opening Day on Monday was about a 12 year tradition. The first Opening Day I went to was when I still lived in Iowa. I had been on a ski trip in Wyoming the week before and we were supposed to come back on Sunday but delays made us stay in Chicago overnight. Monday we flew back into Des Moines, I went straight to work and back to the airport after work to fly into Cincy Monday night.

Sea Ray
09-27-2011, 12:01 PM
MLB set it up like this so the Marlins could open their new stadium on that Wednesday. I'm sure there were some kind of backroom deals that had to do with the stadium that ended up with Selig promising the Marlins that they would have that day to themselves (and StL). I doubt that the opener down there will be a night game. Those openers usually are day games.

I suppose they could have the parade and stuff on Thursday with the game being on Friday but that's asking a lot of people to get off work for the parade on Thursday and the game the next day. I'm all for having everything on Friday since I'm not Catholic. But I can see why the Reds and the city want to move it to Thursday. If they really want it moved to Thursday, they should have local Catholic groups try to influence Selig & Co. to change that.

Oh, and by the way, this tradition Phil Castilinni speaks of about having Opening Day on Monday was about a 12 year tradition. The first Opening Day I went to was when I still lived in Iowa. I had been on a ski trip in Wyoming the week before and we were supposed to come back on Sunday but delays made us stay in Chicago overnight. Monday we flew back into Des Moines, I went straight to work and back to the airport after work to fly into Cincy Monday night.

The Monday tradition goes back much further than 12 yrs. They pretty much opened up on Monday every year in the 70s and 80s unless there was a work stoppage. In the mid 90s they got away from it because of ESPN. In 1994 they opened on a Sunday to accomodate ESPN and they had a few Tuesdays in there before going back to Monday

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/opening_day/odschedule.php?t=CN5

I guess we'll see how that opener gets scheduled for the Marlins on Wednesday. I'm thinking that ESPN will want to carry it and no one will see it if it's a day game thus it'll get moved to primetime. We'll see. If it is a day game then that would help the Reds chances. Again why did MLB have to saddle the Reds with one of those two teams? It's all very avoidable.

jhc2010
09-28-2011, 12:38 PM
FLA - 6 games - 3 home, 3 away
I guess I should change this from FLA to MIA since they're going to be the Miami Marlins.

Chip R
11-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Opening Day has been moved to Thursday April 5 at 4:10 p.m.

http://www.fox19.com/story/16044671/reds-opening-day-moved-to-thursday-april-5

Sea Ray
11-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Opening Day has been moved to Thursday April 5 at 4:10 p.m.

http://www.fox19.com/story/16044671/reds-opening-day-moved-to-thursday-april-5

Who would have thought?