PDA

View Full Version : Walt...the Cubs...Tony L and other stuff with the Reds

brm7675
09-14-2011, 11:58 AM
As the season winds down alot of interesting stuff is beginning to be discussed, including the following stuff in the Chicago papers..

*Walt Jockerty who is a FA at the end of the season becomes the Cubs new GM, hires Tony LaRussa as the Cubs new manager and signs Albert

*Reds go after and sign cubs 3rd basemen Rameriez

but what if...

*Jockerty resigns with Reds, fires Dusty and brings in Tony to manage the Reds...:)

drowg14
09-14-2011, 12:08 PM
As the season winds down alot of interesting stuff is beginning to be discussed, including the following stuff in the Chicago papers..

*Walt Jockerty who is a FA at the end of the season becomes the Cubs new GM, hires Tony LaRussa as the Cubs new manager and signs Albert

but what if...

*Jockerty resigns with Reds, fires Dusty and brings in Tony to manage the Reds...:)

If Jockety hired TLR, I might stop watching them. Ramirez would be an interesting signing if we hadn't witnessed the rapid decline of Rolen.

texasdave
09-14-2011, 12:11 PM
If Jockety hired TLR, I might stop watching them. Ramirez would be an interesting signing if we hadn't witnessed the rapid decline of Rolen.

If Jocketty keeps Dusty, I might stop.

Vottomatic
09-14-2011, 12:46 PM

I actually could see that happening for the right amount of money. The biggest reason it wouldn't happen is because you have 3 components of 3 teams that absolutely hate eachother (rivalry of teams, not the people). If those 3 people can get beyond the rivalry and do it for money, it might happen.

Ain't gonna happen with the emergence of Francisco.

but what if...

I think it would be hard for TLR to come to Cincinnati because the fans really don't like him at all. But if Pujols walks, I could see TLR entertaining an offer from Walt and Bob because of all the talent Cincy has.

texasdave
09-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Fans say one thing but do another all the time. If LaRussa was the manager and the Reds were heading to the playoffs they would be selling that stadium out all the time. End of story.
I don't really want Dusty to come back, but if he does and the Reds are leading the division you can bet your a$$ that I am watching.

BluegrassRedleg
09-14-2011, 01:35 PM
but what if...

We'll be a much better baseball team, but I'd probably have to commit suicide.

Stray
09-14-2011, 01:41 PM
I would absolutely hate it if we hired TLR. Let's keep in mind that Stl has more money to work with than we do, and they have been a very average baseball team in recent years. A lot of Cardinal fans are trying to run him out of town. He bickers with his players, has an enormous ego, and he's a cry baby. It would be very hard for me to root for a guy like that.

I think there could be something to the Jocketty to Chicago rumors though, I could see him making that move and signing Pujols.

texasdave
09-14-2011, 01:52 PM
I would absolutely hate it if we hired TLR. Let's keep in mind that Stl has more money to work with than we do, and they have been a very average baseball team in recent years. A lot of Cardinal fans are trying to run him out of town. He bickers with his players, has an enormous ego, and he's a cry baby. It would be very hard for me to root for a guy like that.

I think there could be something to the Jocketty to Chicago rumors though, I could see him making that move and signing Pujols.

They lost Adam Wainwright for the year and are still kicking the Reds butt in the standings. Take Johnny Cueto off this team and tell me how bad the Reds would be. Put Adam Wainwright in their rotation for the entire season and they are going down to the wire with the Brewers.

They are 8 up on the Reds. So do a little hypothesizing. Wainwright pitches all season and Cueto is out all season. What is the margin then? 15 games or so?

I would take LaRussa over Dusty in a heartbeat.

Stray
09-14-2011, 02:03 PM
They lost Adam Wainwright for the year and are still kicking the Reds butt in the standings. Take Johnny Cueto off this team and tell me how bad the Reds would be. Put Adam Wainwright in their rotation for the entire season and they are going down to the wire with the Brewers.

They are 8 up on the Reds. So do a little hypothesizing. Wainwright pitches all season and Cueto is out all season. What is the margin then? 15 games or so?

They had him last year and still underachieved. They tailspinned the end of the season and looked an awful lot like a team that didn't even care. Head to head Dusty vs LaRussa is basically a wash, I think TLR has a small advantage. Toss in his complaints about stadium lighting to the MLB, his feuds with players, his treatment of Stl reporters, his ego, and everything else and I don't want him anywhere near our young team.

I'm not saying Dusty is better, I'm saying I don't want LaRussa.

drowg14
09-14-2011, 02:29 PM
One thing on the whole, Jocketty to the Cubs and signs Pujols thing. Why would they want Pujols over Fielder. Pujols will not live up to a 7+ year contract, which I am guessing is what he wants. Fielder at this point is a safer bet IMHO.

Not to mention the Cubs need to blow it up instead of locking themselves into more huge contracts.

AintlifeGrande
09-14-2011, 02:31 PM
I could see Walt going to the Northside.Cause he would have a nice payroll to work with,much as he had with the Cardinals.Big payrolls make the GM look like a genious,except for the Cubs right now.

texasdave
09-14-2011, 02:35 PM
The last four seasons the Cardinals have won 86/91/86 and on pace to win 88. A four-year average of nearly 88 wins a season. In those four seasons their team payroll has bounced between 11th and 13th highest in the majors. I think people think they spend a lot more than they really do. If the Reds had a four-year run averaging 88 wins a season people around here would be in seventh heaven. Instead we have a losing record under Baker.

Dusty Baker managed the Cubs from 2003-2006. LaRussa managed the division rival Cardinals. Head-to-head for four years. In that time the Cubs spent roughly 351 million on team payroll. The Cardinals 348 million. We can call that even. Baker, once again, rallied his troops to a losing record - 322-326. LaRussa could only manage two 100-win seasons, two WS appearances and a World Series Title. His record for those four years? 373-274. Yeah, Larussa and Baker are basically a wash.

NOTE: It is not like Baker took over a dog team. In 2003 he won the division with a young Zambrano, Wood and Prior. Of course he blew up two of those three arms. So there is that.

smixsell
09-14-2011, 02:47 PM

Me too. I wouldn't love it, but I could live with it. LaRussa is at least a man with a plan.

Actually there are not many that I WOULDN"T TAKE over Baker. :)

bounty37h
09-14-2011, 03:22 PM

but what if...

I cant put much into a "news" article when they cant even spell the names correctly of the people they are talking about