PDA

View Full Version : Alonso to drop LBs, focus on LF

MikeS21
09-14-2011, 07:03 PM
http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2011/09/14/alonso-to-drop-lbs-focus-on-lf/

Looks as if the FO has settled on a solution to LF.

JaxRed
09-14-2011, 07:07 PM
"“Definitely my body fat needs to go down to be an adequate left fielder,” he said. “I will work my butt off in left field"

So 15 pounds off the butt?

oneupper
09-14-2011, 07:11 PM
I got an earful last year when I called Alonso chubby. Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks he can drop a few pounds.

HokieRed
09-14-2011, 07:13 PM
So does he start tonight in LF? Of course not.

Benihana
09-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Looks as if the FO has settled on a solution to LF.

I think that this is the biggest news of the month, by far.

2B Phillips
SS Cozart
1B Votto
RF Bruce
LF Alonso
CF Stubbs
C Mesoraco
3B Rolen/Francisco/Frazier

Time to use Grandal, one of Heisey/Sappelt, one of Francisco/Frazier, one of Volquez/Bailey/Wood, and one or two of the Dragons to go get a #1 pitcher.

I wonder if the Rays would accept Grandal, Soto, Heisey/Sappelt and one of the pitchers for Shields?

cincyinco
09-14-2011, 07:26 PM
I just asked him the other day how third base was going and he said really well.. And he's pretty thick in person but I wouldn't call him fat..

IslandRed
09-14-2011, 07:39 PM
If they're willing to drive that stake into the ground and commit to it, count me in. A passable-in-the-field Alonso fills the left-field revolving door while adding a lefty bat and a middle-of-the-order bat. It definitely adds some clarity to the offseason to-do list.

So let's just hope they're right about him being passable after dropping some weight over the offseason. Speed training would help, too.

wlf WV
09-14-2011, 07:40 PM
The directives of this FO are very reassuring.:rolleyes:

You can't dodge what's already hit you.

RedsManRick
09-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Finally they made a decision. I'm glad he hit well enough to merit it.

The other day he was reminding me of somebody but I couldn't place my finger on it. It just occurred to me -- he's a LH Carlos Lee. And I mean that in the most positive way.

Scrap Irony
09-14-2011, 07:55 PM
If they're willing to drive that stake into the ground and commit to it, count me in. A passable-in-the-field Alonso fills the left-field revolving door while adding a lefty bat and a middle-of-the-order bat. It definitely adds some clarity to the offseason to-do list.

So let's just hope they're right about him being passable after dropping some weight over the offseason. Speed training would help, too.

He'd better OPS in the 875-900 range to make this palatable. Because he's Adam Dunn circa 2005 in LF.

They'll still need a cleanup hitter, though, IMO, as the front office (and Baker) will insist on not trusting Alonso nor Bruce backing up Votto. Too LH to have all three there, certainly.

That means you'll need to find a 3B or a SS to split those lefties.

I'm thinking a Hanley Ramirez and Chris Coughlin for Aroldis Chapman, Paul Janish, and Drew Stubbs deal makes sense for both teams. The Reds gamble big on Ramirez bouncing back and grab a super utility guy to play all over and leadoff or hit second, while the Marlins bring in the young Cuban to bring interest in the vast Cuban population in Miami, a CF with enough power to play everyday, and a defensive SS.

It's a gamble, certainly. It may even make sense enough to try.

Phillips/ Coughlin 2B
Coughlin/ Sappelt/ Heisey CF
Votto 1B
Ramirez SS
Bruce RF
Alonso/ Heisey LF
Rolen/ Francisco 3B
Mesoraco/ Hanigan C

Rotation
Cueto
Leake
Bailey
Arroyo/ Volquez/ Wood/ Free agent(s)

A Grandal/ Frazier/ Soto/ Rodriguez swap for Shields would cement the Reds as playoff contenders, but would cost a bunch of money. Might not be able to swing the extra cash.

mth123
09-14-2011, 08:39 PM
He'd better OPS in the 875-900 range to make this palatable. Because he's Adam Dunn circa 2005 in LF.

They'll still need a cleanup hitter, though, IMO, as the front office (and Baker) will insist on not trusting Alonso nor Bruce backing up Votto. Too LH to have all three there, certainly.

I'm thinking a Hanley Ramirez and Chris Coughlin for Aroldis Chapman, Paul Janish, and Drew Stubbs deal makes sense for both teams. The Reds gamble big on Ramirez bouncing back and grab a super utility guy to play all over and leadoff or hit second, while the Marlins bring in the young Cuban to bring interest in the vast Cuban population in Miami, a CF with enough power to play everyday, and a defensive SS.

Phillips/ Coughlin 2B
Votto 1B
Ramirez SS
Bruce RF
Alonso/ Heisey LF
Rolen/ Francisco 3B
Mesoraco/ Hanigan C

Rotation
Cueto
Leake
Bailey

A Grandal/ Frazier/ Soto/ Rodriguez swap for Shields would cement the Reds as playoff contenders, but would cost a bunch of money. Might not be able to swing the extra cash.

I was in until you're last line, No way that the Rays do that deal. Maybe if you add Heisey and Phipps, but there isn't a ready middle of the order bat in the bunch, and I don't think Shields gets dealt w/o one coming back.

wlf WV
09-14-2011, 08:50 PM
nm

cinreds21
09-14-2011, 09:04 PM

Phillips/ Coughlin 2B
Votto 1B
Ramirez SS
Bruce RF
Alonso/ Heisey LF
Rolen/ Francisco 3B
Mesoraco/ Hanigan C

Rotation
Cueto
Leake
Bailey

They are not trading Hanley. It's just not going to happen. And it's Coghlan, by the way.

RedLegsToday
09-14-2011, 09:36 PM
So, come next spring, Yonder will be in the best shape of his life? ;)

Joseph
09-14-2011, 09:49 PM
So, come next spring, Yonder will be in the best shape of his life? ;)

mark it down!