PDA

View Full Version : SEC Football Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

dabvu2498
08-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Does the SEC do the scheduling or the school? I doubt the SEC forced them to cram all their SEC games in by the first weekend of Nov. Florida has scheduled cupcakes for their opener for as long as I can remember

There's some co-ordinated effort between the schools, the league and the TV networks.

The networks will dictate that there are at least a couple decent conference matchups after the first week of the season in order to fill those TV slots. (ESPN even convinced the conference, Vandy and SC to move their game to this Thursday night for a primetime showing).

Week 3 is an especially weak set of games for the SEC. I'm sure that's why UT and UF are in that slot.

The other issue with UF's schedule is that for a while, their "tough" OOC game has been FSU, last game of the year. So, unless they're playing a conference game week 1 (unlikely), that first week will be a cuppie.

Sea Ray
08-27-2012, 07:07 PM
There's some co-ordinated effort between the schools, the league and the TV networks.

The networks will dictate that there are at least a couple decent conference matchups after the first week of the season in order to fill those TV slots. (ESPN even convinced the conference, Vandy and SC to move their game to this Thursday night for a primetime showing).

Week 3 is an especially weak set of games for the SEC. I'm sure that's why UT and UF are in that slot.

The other issue with UF's schedule is that for a while, their "tough" OOC game has been FSU, last game of the year. So, unless they're playing a conference game week 1 (unlikely), that first week will be a cuppie.

Yeah, my gripe is largely with UT. Why did they put their toughest non conference game first? That's where Akron or Troy should be

dabvu2498
08-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Yeah, my gripe is largely with UT. Why did they put their toughest non conference game first? That's where Akron or Troy should be

That's them giving ESPN what they want.

jojo
08-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Auburn 600 Clemson -12

Sea Ray
08-27-2012, 09:18 PM
That's them giving ESPN what they want.

Perhaps. I'm not privy to their reasons. I tend to doubt that an ESPN-U game is a big deal to UT.

Scrap Irony
08-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Auburn 600 Clemson -12

Can I take the under on that one?

dabvu2498
08-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Perhaps. I'm not privy to their reasons. I tend to doubt that an ESPN-U game is a big deal to UT.

This year, it may be. I doubt if you see them on CBS or ESPN much.

KronoRed
08-27-2012, 09:32 PM

Exactly, it's a lot easier to schedule a new OOC game each year when your rivals are in conference, Florida doesn't have that advantage.

The SEC is running the show this year though with every schools scheduling due to expansion, it ended up being who had off weeks where in regards to OOC schools, some schools got the shaft, some got the cream of the cup cakes (Georgia) nobody at Florida is happy about the conference schedule being done so early.

jojo
08-28-2012, 08:41 PM
http://www.cdispatch.com/msusports/article.asp?aid=18454#ixzz24RBVpXNs

Karma, meet Coach Mullen.

http://djournal.com/pages/insidemississippistatesports_full/push?blog-entry-MSU+Disassociates+Self+from+Rogue+Booster%20&id=19955281&instance=mississippistate

Revering4Blue
08-28-2012, 10:20 PM
I think you're underestimating Bray. He could be the difference maker in a bounceback year for UT. They return a bunch of starters and were decimated by injuries last year after the UC game where they manhandled an excellent Bearcat team. Simply put the team that lost to UK was a shell of the one that beat UC

For Dooley's sake, I hope that you are right. I'm simply not a fan of slow, immobile QBs at the College Level, unless they are surrounded by plenty of speed at the other skill positions or are supplemented with another athletic QB/wildcat QB. A slow-footed QB works well at USC or Bama, where lack of speed at RB and WR is never a problem. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case for the Vols this year.

Also, athletic QBs can run Pro-Style offenses at the College level. Jake Locker and Jason Campbell come to mind. Lest we forget, athletic Tee Martin QBd the Vols to the national championship running virtually the same system as Payton Manning, with occasional wrinkles to take advantage of Martin's athleticism. Jim Chaney, who was also Drew Bree's OC at Purdue, could have molded Boyd into a dangerous weapon, IMO. It was a bad decision by Kiffen-who, of course, doesn't have to deal with the ramifications-anyway you look at it.

Sea Ray
08-29-2012, 11:10 AM
For Dooley's sake, I hope that you are right. I'm simply not a fan of slow, immobile QBs at the College Level, unless they are surrounded by plenty of speed at the other skill positions or are supplemented with another athletic QB/wildcat QB. A slow-footed QB works well at USC or Bama, where lack of speed at RB and WR is never a problem. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case for the Vols this year.

Also, athletic QBs can run Pro-Style offenses at the College level. Jake Locker and Jason Campbell come to mind. Lest we forget, athletic Tee Martin QBd the Vols to the national championship running virtually the same system as Payton Manning, with occasional wrinkles to take advantage of Martin's athleticism. Jim Chaney, who was also Drew Bree's OC at Purdue, could have molded Boyd into a dangerous weapon, IMO. It was a bad decision by Kiffen-who, of course, doesn't have to deal with the ramifications-anyway you look at it.

I agree with you that at the college level, I prefer athletic QBs. Guys like Peyton, Marino and Brees made better NFL players than college. Arguably the best college QBs were Vince Young and Tim Tebow. I don't know that Boyd is being talked about in those terms but it'll be interesting to see how he does.

Right now publications are calling Tyler Bray the best QB in the SEC so he's not chopped liver. I'd argue that he fits UT's pro style offense better than Boyd. He also does have weapons:

You could argue junior Tyler Bray is the best quarterback in the SEC, and the educated conference fan would be hard pressed to disagree. It’s true Bray has yet to stay healthy enough to play a full slate

Don’t look now, but in 2012 Bray might get one of the best receiver corps in the SEC, if not the nation, along with an offensive line that returns nearly everyone and now has more than 100 career starts under its collective belt

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1201774.html

So I think it's a stretch to criticize a coach's decision to keep a guy who projects to be one of the best in the SEC.

19braves77
08-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Vandy should have won that game.

WDE
08-31-2012, 08:04 AM
Vandy got SCREWED.

jojo
08-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Vandy got beat at home by a better team.

WDE
08-31-2012, 07:43 PM

You can't just say South Carolina was the "better team." You couldn't tell considering it was 1 game that was close the whole time.

WDE
08-31-2012, 07:58 PM

You can't just say South Carolina was the "better team." You couldn't tell considering it was 1 game that was close the whole time.

WDE
08-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Sorry for the double post

jojo
08-31-2012, 08:35 PM
You can't just say South Carolina was the "better team."

Yes, I can.

dabvu2498
08-31-2012, 11:34 PM
South Carolina Pass Interference No Call Against Vanderbilt - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGMMtlOmRD8)

And don't get me started on the personal foul penalty on Andre Hal.

:rant2::rant2::rant:

dabvu2498
08-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Yes, I can.

TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS 272 276
Total offense plays 62 59
Average Gain Per Play 4.4 4.7

jojo
08-31-2012, 11:49 PM
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS 272 276
Total offense plays 62 59
Average Gain Per Play 4.4 4.7

SC played with a one armed QB that reduced the Ole Ball Coach's playbook to about a third of its size.

dabvu2498
09-01-2012, 12:08 AM
SC played with a one armed QB that reduced the Ole Ball Coach's playbook to about a third of its size.

SC's offense didn't exactly look sterling in the 1st half.

Sea Ray
09-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Week 1 Guesses:

Tennessee 24 N.C. State 27

Nc State defense should be good enough to pull off a win

That'll teach ya to bet against them Vols!

It was UT's defense, not NC State's that looked pretty good

Sea Ray
09-01-2012, 01:22 AM

It was a one armed WR that sealed the fate for Vandy. Unfortunately that play was against the agreed upon rules

WDE
09-01-2012, 11:26 AM
That personal foul call was ridiculous. As was the pass interference. To me, those two teams looked very similar. Evenly matched game.

WMR
09-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Vandy got screwed.

WDE
09-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Anybody else going to any games today?

Sea Ray
09-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Week 1 Guesses:

Michigan 20 Alabama 31

I expect this game to be good until the 4th quarter.

Nope. It was never good. Nice to see that the SEC dominance over the Big Ten is alive and well. Another year, another SEC blowout over a Big Ten team. After all these years the Big Ten still hasn't figured out how to close that gap.

Good call on the Clemson-Auburn game...:thumbup:

19braves77
09-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Alabama looked awesome and many reports coming out that Michigan was a little bit in awe of Jerry's world.

Neither team in the Clemson and Auburn game looked like they wanted to be in Atlanta.

Cedric
09-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Nope. It was never good. Nice to see that the SEC dominance over the Big Ten is alive and well. Another year, another SEC blowout over a Big Ten team. After all these years the Big Ten still hasn't figured out how to close that gap.

Good call on the Clemson-Auburn game...:thumbup:

Yeah! Go team!

Boston Red
09-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Kentucky is absolutely awful, which I love. I just hope they don't do something intelligent like fire Joker and hire Petrino.

jojo
09-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Neither team in the Clemson and Auburn game looked like they wanted to be in Atlanta.

You're nuts. It was a pretty intense and exciting game.

19braves77
09-02-2012, 09:02 PM
You're nuts. It was a pretty intense and exciting game.

It was a mistake filled game.

I want that new helmet rule to go aaway. I dont understand why the offensive player has to take a play off. It should be the defensive player that sits a play. No helmet just falls off unless its ripped off.

WDE
09-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Game atmosphere was great there. Very fun game to be at. Few thoughts:

Frazier will improve his accuracy. He had a lot of passes that were overthrown or underthrown, but he wasn't terrible. Jason Campbell wasn't great when he started out either.

Defense has to tackle! Defense didn't look that great, especially secondary. D Line was ok, but gave up far too many rushing yards. As Chizik said, that 68 yard run should have been a 5 yard gain.

Very tough game to lose. Thought we had the game the whole time. Oh well. Let's hope we can bounce back and put it to those Miss State Bulldogs. Would love for us to have a huge game and handily win the game.

In terms of the season, I think we will improve. Will we beat Alabama and LSU? Probably not. Didn't watch any of the games because I was in Atlanta, but sounds like they dominated. I really hope we can beat Georgia, but that might be a little too much pressure. I really think we can beat Arky, Vandy, A&M, Miss St., Ole Miss, and the 3 cupcakes for an 8-4 regular season. That isn't that bad, and I think next year we will continue to improve and be even better. War Eagle!

jojo
09-02-2012, 09:27 PM
It was a mistake filled game.

I want that new helmet rule to go aaway. I dont understand why the offensive player has to take a play off. It should be the defensive player that sits a play. No helmet just falls off unless its ripped off.

Both teams are pretty young at some critical positions and there were three new coordinators. Not a shocker that there were some mistakes in the first game.

But there was great intensity, it was hard hitting and a drama filled game played in a great atmosphere between two teams in a burgeoning rivalry. I have no idea how that's a game to complain about as a season opener.

Concerning the helmet rule, presumably it's to allow the student athlete to be checked out on the sideline. Again, pretty hard to criticize a rule that protects the noggin of a young athlete.

19braves77
09-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Both teams are pretty young at some critical positions and there were three new coordinators. Not a shocker that there were some mistakes in the first game.

But there was great intensity, it was hard hitting and a drama filled game played in a great atmosphere between two teams in a burgeoning rivalry. I have no idea how that's a game to complain about as a season opener.

Concerning the helmet rule, presumably it's to allow the student athlete to be checked out on the sideline. Again, pretty hard to criticize a rule that protects the noggin of a young athlete.

but what will stop defenses from ripping the helmet off on purpose to stop hurry up offensives ? Chip Kelly said it basically will stop teams from having to use a timeout. He suggested that both the offensive and defensive player should take a play off with the clock still running.

WMR
09-02-2012, 10:12 PM
UK is soooo bad. I think this is the worst defense I've ever seen at UK, which is really saying something.

I can't decide if Strong took his foot off the gas because Joker is his friend or he wants to do everything he can to help Joker keep his job (and continue kicking his ass).

I heard that Strong is #1 on UF's wish list if/when they end up firing Muschamp.

jojo
09-02-2012, 10:14 PM
but what will stop defenses from ripping the helmet off on purpose to stop hurry up offensives ? Chip Kelly said it basically will stop teams from having to use a timeout. He suggested that both the offensive and defensive player should take a play off with the clock still running.

A 15 yard penalty.....

KronoRed
09-02-2012, 10:25 PM
I heard that Strong is #1 on UF's wish list if/when they end up firing Muschamp.

Does he order his OC to run repeatedly into 8 man fronts to prove his team is tough? :help:

Florida is going to be putrid this year, I'm thinking their only SEC win will be Kentucky, and I'm not even sure about that, they have talent but I think most of the team has already tuned the coach out, sure hope I'm wrong.

Boston Red
09-02-2012, 10:47 PM

Good on UF. Maybe the Cards will take Petrino back instead of letting UK get him.

19braves77
09-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Week 2 of Sec Guesses:

Texas AM vs Florida - Texas & AM gets there 1st SEC win !

Georgia State at Tennessee- Go Vols !

East Carolina at South Carolina- Gamecocks win

Western Kentucky at Alabama- Sad that Alabama couldn't find anyone to buyout this game.

UTEP at Ole Miss- Another snoozefest.

Washington at LSU- Over by halftime in favor of LSU

Louisiana-Monroe at Arkansas- Petrino who ?

Kent State at Kentucky- I will watch hoping Kent State returns a punt the wrong way again.

Georgia at Missouri- Welcome Mizzou !!!!! Seriously if the score isn't 54-48 I will be sad.....

Vanderbilt at Northwestern- Odd this game will be covered on the Big 10 network at night.

dougdirt
09-03-2012, 01:35 AM
So, here is the question.... Is Alabama that good, or is this another case where Michigan would have been beaten by Appalachian State and were incredibly overranked?

jojo
09-03-2012, 09:30 AM
So, here is the question.... Is Alabama that good, or is this another case where Michigan would have been beaten by Appalachian State and were incredibly overranked?

Alabama is good but Michigan and the rest of the big ten isn't as good as their press.

Slyder
09-03-2012, 10:13 AM

Michigan was over-ranked just like Notre Dame was a few years ago. They were ranked that highly because of the logo on the side of the helmet. A highly ranked Michigan team makes for better viewership for the game vs Alabama. They'll be a good team this year but there is no reason they should have EVER been near the top 15 at this point.

Revering4Blue
09-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Alabama is good but Michigan and the rest of the big ten isn't as good as their press.
My take:

First of all, Saban's teams are virtually unbeatable if he has over a week to prepare.

Secondly, Alabama is that good, and are even more dynamic on offense with the addition of Nussmeier as OC, not that the previous OC was a slouch.

But don't kid yourself, SEC fans, the absence of Toussaint, who is a "home run" threat in his own right, hurt the Wolves more than you think because it allowed the Tide to crowd the line of scrimmage and they only had to focus on Robinson beating them with his legs and double teaming Roundtree--the only major receiving threat. IMHO, Toussaint alone may well have kept this game from becoming a blowout. I say "may well" due to the following major gaffe by the Michigan brass:

For Michigan to have a chance to win this game, aside from winning the turnover battle, they had to exploit the "weakness" of the Bama defense--the secondary.
And in order for that to occur, Robinson had to be accurate from the pocket--something he's really never been adept at doing. This, IMHO, is where the Michigan coaches dropped the ball. If you wish to run a Pro-style system, fine. But why not utilize a "moving pocket," which would have rolled Robinson out and most certainly would have placed him in a position to either make plays with his feet, or spot an open receiver without the presence of three Tide defenders in his face. All of which is baffling to me because Michigan OC Al Borges utilized such a system that made Cade McNown at UCLA a major thorn in the side to defenses back in the day.

The way that the Wolves utilized Robinson against the Tide is a perfect example of a pet peeve of mine--cramming a "system" down a QB's throat, instead of modifying the system to take advantage of a QB's strengths. Then again, the strategy of "moving the pocket" has virtually disappeared from the college landscape. And, as much as I trash the NFL for predictable offenses, "moving the pocket' is still a strategy that NFL coaches continue to utilize, albeit not as often as they used to.

Todd Gack
09-03-2012, 07:05 PM
So were Alabama fans in the doldrums this week since an ACC team beat Auburn?

WDE
09-03-2012, 08:09 PM
jojo, are you an Auburn fan or just an SEC football fan?

WDE
09-03-2012, 08:10 PM
So were Alabama fans in the doldrums this week since an ACC team beat Auburn?

"The Barn will be lucky to win 5!" That's what I heard a lot of.

jojo
09-03-2012, 10:20 PM
jojo, are you an Auburn fan or just an SEC football fan?

I love the SEC game day experience but the SEC exists mostly to give the proper context to Auburn as one of the premier football programs in NCAA history.

VottoFan54
09-05-2012, 10:20 PM
There really isn't a place to post this, but Lane Kiffin is a former SEC coach.

http://www.theschoolphilly.com/today-in-ncaa-culture-lane-kiffin-pulled-walk-ons-scholarship-to-make-room-for-linebacker-released-from-jail/

When Vehikite was arrested in March, Kiffin removed him from all team activities and said he was no longer with the program. Vehikite’s accident occurred in July 2011, but it took nearly a year before he was arrested. Vehikite’s return took on added significance because walk-on Will Andrew didn’t have his scholarship renewed this week. Kiffin said he doesn’t go out of his way to inform walk-ons when their scholarship is not renewed. “They’re never granted longer (than a year),” Kiffin said. “He was fortunate to have one for a year.”

Pretty classless move to pull the kid's scholarship for a guy that was just released from jail.

jojo
09-05-2012, 11:01 PM

http://www.theschoolphilly.com/today-in-ncaa-culture-lane-kiffin-pulled-walk-ons-scholarship-to-make-room-for-linebacker-released-from-jail/

Pretty classless move to pull the kid's scholarship for a guy that was just released from jail.

Lane Kiffin is one of my least favorite humans. It's a short list but it includes names like Hitler and the ref who called the phantom penalty on Nick Fairley in the 2010 Iron Bowl.

Todd Gack
09-06-2012, 07:39 AM

So a walk on was granted a scholarship for a year an then he goes back to walk-on status. Where is the confusion in this. He's right. . . . he's lucky he had one for a year. He's a college football coach and he's not much different than anyone else in the business. . . especially the SEC.

jojo
09-06-2012, 01:15 PM
http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/868/635/635868.JPG

Ummmmm.......maybe not so much....

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-09-05/florida-vs-texas-am-preview-kevin-sumlin-suspensions-steven-jenkins-howard-matth

Kevin Sumlin postpones suspensions of two players

dabvu2498
09-06-2012, 02:09 PM
http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/868/635/635868.JPG

Ummmmm.......maybe not so much....

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-09-05/florida-vs-texas-am-preview-kevin-sumlin-suspensions-steven-jenkins-howard-matth

Not to mention that according to US News and Workd Report, they're the #58 national university on the academic side of things.

Good enough for a tie with the University of Florida.

KronoRed
09-06-2012, 06:58 PM
That billboard was down in a day or two, apparently A&M threatened legal action.

jojo
09-06-2012, 07:03 PM
That billboard was down in a day or two, apparently A&M threatened legal action.

Yes. This has been the subject of alot of good ole SEC conspiracy theories in the web. I've even seen it suggested that LSU boosters actually paid for the sign. The South is nothing if not nuts about football.

WMR
09-06-2012, 07:18 PM
I would guess it was a Univ of Texas booster/fan.

WDE
09-06-2012, 07:55 PM
the ref who called the phantom penalty on Nick Fairley in the 2010 Iron Bowl.

My goodness. That was the worst call I have ever seen. Make up call for the Georgia game, but the penalty led to a touchdown for Alabama that they wouldn't have had had they not gotten that call. That first half was the biggest possible nightmare for any Auburn fan.

19braves77
09-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Like I said Auburn isn't that good this year. You lose Dyer and your OC and you have hope because why ?

jojo
09-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Like I said Auburn isn't that good this year. You lose Dyer and your OC and you have hope because why ?

One might have hope because they understand football and context and realize there is a lot of young talent and great coaches in the program as the Tubberville void is over being essentially recruited away although growing pains are still going to exist because game experience can only come from playing against guys who have already paid their dues. So one could have hope by being the alternative to a toothless, extra from the set of Deliverance who never attended the university affiliated with the football program that they derive their sense of self worth and identity from...

Again, I can't speak for every person who sees what Chizik is building and is excited but the above is just a guess that probably comes close for a good many people on the Plains.

Was today laying a turd that couldn't get over fast enough? Ya, it's tough to find any positive but it doesn't define the state of the program.

WDE
09-08-2012, 07:04 PM

You honestly don't know what you are talking about do you? Yes, we are not that great this year, but to have no hope because you lose Dyer and Malzahn is ridiculous. There is more to teams than just one player.

jojo
09-08-2012, 08:06 PM
You honestly don't know what you are talking about do you? Yes, we are not that great this year, but to have no hope because you lose Dyer and Malzahn is ridiculous. There is more to teams than just one player.

To understand the current state of the Auburn football program, one has to appreciate some recent history.

Tubberville was a great coach and the Auburn program ruled Alabama under him. However, his last two to three years really saw his program develop some cracks. His recruiting took a noticeable nose dive with his last two classes being well below acceptable. This inertia was also reflected in his on the field results. 11-2 to 9-4 and then 5-7 in his final year (2008). Chizik was hired following the season and essentially cobbled together a recruiting class on the fly meaning roughly three classes in succession weren't on par with Auburn's SEC rivals.

That said, Chizik hired Malzahn and a very good 4-3 guy (Roof) as coordinators and tailored their offense and defense to the talent Chizik inherited and Auburn began recruiting in earnest.

2010 marked the end of Tubby's classes and culminated in a national championship but everyone knew the experience gap was about to manifest (and this was exacerbated by several talented juniors leaving after the championship as well).

2011 was largely characterized by a lack of upperclassman and experience. Several key injuries further contributed to a lack of depth. These season the Tigers are again very young (Last Week was their quaterback's first collegiate start, their OL is made up of mostly either true or redshirt freshman). Their DL is likewise very young. But there is a great deal of talent and athleticism now that Tubby's classes were starting to lose. This year there is true competition at all positions.

Given the youth, the end of 2011 also marked a perfect time for Chizik to make some changes in his program so that the offense and defense were more consistent with his philosophy. In other words, this off season was the perfect time to part ways with Malzahn. In many ways Roof was a victim of Malzahn's offense plus he and Chizik had some philosophical differences.

This year's recruiting class will be Chizik's third top ten class since he's been here and it's going to be loaded with some studs that plug some of the weaknesses still evident in this year's team. Next year the depth will be back to where the roster of a top SEC team would expected to be and there won't be any gaps in the age of players etc. Most associated with Auburn point to next year as the year they can be legit SEC contenders.

The first two games I think exposed the inexperience as a real weakness. But Auburn frankly could have beaten Clemson. Clearly the talent is there. Today's game? It was a major flop. But MSU has a scary good secondary and Mullen basically made Frazier have to meat MSU. As tests go, Clemson and MSU were probably the worst possible match ups as the first two opponents this year. Neither team is unbeatable (especially MSU) but they were bad matchups especially for road games.

Unless something unexpected happens (injuries or Chizik implodes and loses the players), the Tigers are going to get much better each week.

19braves77
09-08-2012, 09:50 PM
This was probably Auburn's worst since 2008 Vandy or the 3-2 victory vs Mississippi State. Loeffler is the problem. Its like Tony Franklin all over again. It would have not hurt to pull Frazier and see what a different QB can do. Its going to be a long season for Auburn.

jojo
09-08-2012, 10:18 PM
This was probably Auburn's worst since 2008 Vandy or the 3-2 victory vs Mississippi State. Loeffler is the problem. Its like Tony Franklin all over again. It would have not hurt to pull Frazier and see what a different QB can do. Its going to be a long season for Auburn.

Mosley has an ailing shoulder and Wallace is a true freshman.

kaldaniels
09-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Down go the Razorbacks.

Wow.

19braves77
09-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Mosley has an ailing shoulder and Wallace is a true freshman.

but do you think Saban would have left AJ in their after a perormance like that in the 3rd quarter. The answer is no. Running draws on 3 & 11 isnt going to win the game.

Stray
09-09-2012, 12:05 AM
That finish was amazing. I bet they're missing Petrino down in Arkansas about now.

19braves77
09-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Arkansas is just going to play this season out and hope they can get them a Saban from the NFL. The Razorback coach didn't even shake hands after the game. Hogs might have to settle on a trip to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl.

I say Alabama no kills the Hogs next week: Bama 31 Hogs 9

kaldaniels
09-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Arkansas is just going to play this season out and hope they can get them a Saban from the NFL. The Razorback coach didn't even shake hands after the game. Hogs might have to settle on a trip to Memphis for the Liberty Bowl.

I say Alabama no kills the Hogs next week: Bama 31 Hogs 9

I noticed the UL coach looking for JLS after the game if you or anyone come across further details I'd love to hear them.

KronoRed
09-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Louisville fans everywhere laugh.

I think the Hoggies missed Tyler Wilson more then Petrino.

19braves77
09-09-2012, 12:42 AM
New coaches seem to have problems crafting Petrino's teams when he departs. Ask Louisville. This is a down year for the middle section of the SEC West and actually hurts LSU and Bama's SOS. Well, after next week, ULM will have beaten SEC west teams in back to back games.

Boston Red
09-09-2012, 12:56 AM
New coaches seem to have problems crafting Petrino's teams when he departs. Ask Louisville.

Steve Kragthore was just incompetent. Petrino's a tough act to follow because he's so damned good at what he does.

jojo
09-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Down go the Razorbacks.

Wow.

Ya, that one is truly a stunner and why college football is so fun.

bucksfan2
09-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Ya, that one is truly a stunner and why college football is so fun.

They sure are great. But it seems like you are seeing fewer and fewer of them.

This probably would be better discussed in a different thread but its almost as if there are 7-10 programs that are head and shoulders above the rest. Alabama, LSU, USC, Oregon, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Oklahoma and maybe Texas and Florida. With the exception of the Auburn championship its been mostly chalk over the past decade.

jojo
09-09-2012, 10:29 PM
They sure are great. But it seems like you are seeing fewer and fewer of them.

This probably would be better discussed in a different thread but its almost as if there are 7-10 programs that are head and shoulders above the rest. Alabama, LSU, USC, Oregon, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Oklahoma and maybe Texas and Florida. With the exception of the Auburn championship its been mostly chalk over the past decade.

I was thinking about this Saturday.

USC, Oregon, Texas, OU, and OSU essentially own the waters in which they recruit and they're very fertile waters so they'll be cream more often than not.

Id say these are probably the best coaching jobs in the country: USC, Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, Michigan, Bama, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, Florida State, probably LSU and Nebraska. Maybe I've forgot someone but that's a pretty good list.

Everybody else is going to be up some and down some. But I think everybody else tends to get screwed by media bias tilted toward the "big boys" which makes it harder to end up in a championship game.

19braves77
09-09-2012, 11:22 PM
I kinda wish they would rank teams until like Week 5. I have always said that pre-season and September polls are more about what is believed about teams and deeper into the season they become more about what is known about teams. Obviously, most voters now believe Arky is not as good as they originally thought. Yesterday LSU played like the best team in the Nation and they lost votes to USC today.

bucksfan2
09-10-2012, 10:24 AM
I was thinking about this Saturday.

USC, Oregon, Texas, OU, and OSU essentially own the waters in which they recruit and they're very fertile waters so they'll be cream more often than not.

Id say these are probably the best coaching jobs in the country: USC, Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, Michigan, Bama, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, Florida State, probably LSU and Nebraska. Maybe I've forgot someone but that's a pretty good list.

Everybody else is going to be up some and down some. But I think everybody else tends to get screwed by media bias tilted toward the "big boys" which makes it harder to end up in a championship game.

It will be interesting to see where FSU goes forward. They have been disappointing for a number of years now. I don't think that Tennessee would be one of the best coaching gigs in the country. A ton of pressure playing in a state that doesn't really have as many recruits as the other big programs. I will give you a pass on Auburn..... I really don't know what to think of them. I think Miami is on the same page as USC. The go for periods of being dominant and then fall off the map for a number of years. Also playing in hot spot areas of Miami and LA brings about a bunch of problems.

Is there a media bias or is it just reality? IMO the "big boys" over the past decade have just gotten better than the other teams. If you have an 80K or 100K stadium you have a massive advantage over the competition. You have a bigger budget and better facilities than your competition.

Sea Ray
09-10-2012, 06:31 PM
ESPN is setting up its College Gameday crew this week on the fine campus of UT Knoxville. Every week this year their Gameday has centered around an SEC school and why not? Alabama and LSU have shown that they can pummel Bowl teams like other conferences do to MAC teams. Here's to ESPN returning to Knoxville for the 1st time since 2004...:beerme:
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/65330/college-gameday-heading-to-knoxville

jojo
09-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Rumor has it that ESPN is supposed to publish a report on an NCAA investigation into recruiting irregularities involving Memphis area players tomorrow that is said to effect multiple SEC programs. I haven't heard of anyone from Auburn being called for comment. We'll see because Auburn recruit Javon Robinson is thought to have triggered the NCAA curiosity. That said, I'm pretty positive Robinson isn't an issue.

MSU is knee deep in potential trouble already, it's very possible that it's MSU related issues led the NCAA to Memphis.

jojo
09-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Rumor has it that ESPN is supposed to publish a report on an NCAA investigation into recruiting irregularities involving Memphis area players tomorrow that is said to effect multiple SEC programs. I haven't heard of anyone from Auburn being called for comment. We'll see because Auburn recruit Javon Robinson is thought to have triggered the NCAA curiosity. That said, I'm pretty positive Robinson isn't an issue.

MSU is knee deep in potential trouble already, it's very possible that it's MSU related issues led the NCAA to Memphis.

Rumor has it that the writer is Joe Schad in which case, such an article is likely going to be long on speculation and innuendo, pretty short on facts, and even shorter on "likely to be right".

jojo
09-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Looks like some of the MSU stuff is starting to come to light:

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/msu/2012/09/12/report-7-on-7-coach-says-several-multiple-ncaa-violations-occurred-during-redmonds-recruitment/

WDE
09-15-2012, 06:36 PM
We won. Yay.

19braves77
09-15-2012, 08:21 PM
You really have to feel for Arkansas:

First time they been shutout at home since 1966
Its their 2nd worse lost ever. They lost to Tulsa 62-7 in the early 20's I believe.

Two teams going in two opposite directions.

Your looking at a 4 year process right now and thats if Missouri doesn't start taking your recruits. Lot easier to get a kid from Arkansas to go to Missouri then a Florida kid.

cincrazy
09-15-2012, 11:02 PM
You really have to feel for Arkansas:

First time they been shutout at home since 1966
Its their 2nd worse lost ever. They lost to Tulsa 62-7 in the early 20's I believe.

Two teams going in two opposite directions.

Your looking at a 4 year process right now and thats if Missouri doesn't start taking your recruits. Lot easier to get a kid from Arkansas to go to Missouri then a Florida kid.

I don't really feel bad for Arkansas. They rolled the dice on a sketchy character and it backfired. Petrino is a well-documented scumbag. They knew that upon hiring him.

I do, however, feel bad for the student athletes. But as for the administration and the school, they deserved it.

19braves77
09-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Matt Barkley came back for that lol

USC has problems with smash mouth teams.

Sea Ray
09-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Matt Barkley came back for that lol

USC has problems with smash mouth teams.

What does that game have to do with the title of this thread?

Sea Ray
09-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Just like last year, the SEC is back to the #1 and #2 spots in the AP poll:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-09-16/college-football-rankings-top-25-ap-poll-alabama-lsu-usc-notre-dame-week-4

In case anyone is tempted to opine that the conference is merely top heavy they also landed a couple more in the top ten

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-17-2012, 08:01 PM
SEC refs will never let the top teams lose to one of the middle-of-the-pack SEC teams. That's why there are never any upsets in SEC vs. SEC games like there are in all other conferences.

Had Pac12 officials protected USC like SEC refs do, the Trojans would still be unbeaten.

BuckeyeRed27
09-17-2012, 08:18 PM
SEC refs will never let the top teams lose to one of the middle-of-the-pack SEC teams. That's why there are never any upsets in SEC vs. SEC games like there are in all other conferences.

Had Pac12 officials protected USC like SEC refs do, the Trojans would still be unbeaten.

I'm pretty sure that's right. I don't think there has been a single upset in the history of SEC conference play.

Todd Gack
09-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Just like last year, the SEC is back to the #1 and #2 spots in the AP poll:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-09-16/college-football-rankings-top-25-ap-poll-alabama-lsu-usc-notre-dame-week-4

In case anyone is tempted to opine that the conference is merely top heavy they also landed a couple more in the top ten

I don't have a problem with them having 10 of the TOp 25 teams in the country.

I just have a problem with Alabama fans rooting for Tennessee in a bowl game. I just don't get it.

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-17-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm pretty sure that's right. I don't think there has been a single upset in the history of SEC conference play.

Mock me all you want. That's the perception that the rest of the country has about the SEC. Friendly officiating, dirty programs that are protected (UK basketball, Tennesee basketball, Auburn football, Cam Newton, Mississippi State, Arkansas, etc.), overhyped games, etc.

Whether you as SEC fans think that is immaterial. The rest of the country rolls its eyes. And that's not taking anything away from how good the top two or three teams in the conference are, by the way.

jojo
09-17-2012, 09:27 PM

I just have a problem with Alabama fans rooting for Tennessee in a bowl game. I just don't get it.

Alabama fans have never rooted for Tennessee.

Sea Ray
09-17-2012, 09:29 PM

I didn't know we had their support in Bowl games but if you're right we'll sure take it!

jojo
09-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Mock me all you want. That's the perception that the rest of the country has about the SEC. Friendly officiating, dirty programs that are protected (UK basketball, Tennesee basketball, Auburn football, Cam Newton, Mississippi State, Arkansas, etc.), overhyped games, etc.

Whether you as SEC fans think that is immaterial. The rest of the country rolls its eyes. And that's not taking anything away from how good the top two or three teams in the conference are, by the way.

This is largely a steaming pile of tripe.

Sea Ray
09-17-2012, 09:36 PM

My perception is that the fans that think that way are just so frustrated and jealous of the SEC's success that they do this to make themselves feel better. I equate it to the fan of the school that just lost in football 38-0 who says "yeah but our library is better than yours" or "my school has more Rhodes Scholars".

All the schools play by the same NCAA rules and if they're found to be guilty they'll pay a price. As long as they're eligible for Bowl games and all, we have to accept their innocence. For example OSU will have paid their price by next year and it'd be sour grapes for another program to belittle their success (should they achieve it) by reminding us of Tressel

WMR
09-17-2012, 09:43 PM

Like in 2007 when UK upset eventual National Champion LSU. :)

WMR
09-17-2012, 09:46 PM

:laugh:

Which bastion of integrity do you root for? :lol::lol::lol:

Revering4Blue
09-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Like in 2007 when UK upset eventual National Champion LSU. :)

Also, Arkansas 50, LSU 48 3OT-- the day after Thanksgiving 2007.

WDE
09-17-2012, 10:39 PM

Comepletely ridiculous statement if that truely is your opinion.

bucksfan2
09-18-2012, 11:16 AM

IMO there is some validity to this comment. If my memory is correct there were a number of questionable calls that went Auburn's way during their national championship season. I even think some went to replay and left me shaking my head when they upheld the original call.

jojo
09-18-2012, 11:27 AM
IMO there is some validity to this comment. If my memory is correct there were a number of questionable calls that went Auburn's way during their national championship season. I even think some went to replay and left me shaking my head when they upheld the original call.

If the SEC was protecting Auburn, explain the phantom roughing call on Fairley in the Iron Bowl that year.

There were several "previous play is under review" moments at key parts of several games in 2010 but you really need to point to one that was obviously wrong and that decided a game.

Concerning this notion that Auburn is dirty, Auburn is the second winningest program in the SEC over the last three decades and it's been more than 20 years since the program has been hit with NCAA sanctions. It most recently came out of an exhaustive investigation of Cam and recruiting with a clean bill of health with the NCAA saying it simply couldn't continue to investigate in good conscience. Simply put, no one can credibly argue that Auburn is dirty based upon facts available for public consumption. If it’s all the same, please refrain from smearing Auburn's reputation on little more than lunatic rumors, message board gossip and babbling radio hosts.

BuckeyeRed27
09-18-2012, 12:39 PM

Not to be a defender of the SEC here, but there are questionable calls in almost every close game. To single out Auburn or any other school is largely cherry picking. I'm sure you are just as tired as I am for convincing the world that Chris Gamble was indeed interferred with in the end zone in 2003.

bucksfan2
09-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Not to be a defender of the SEC here, but there are questionable calls in almost every close game. To single out Auburn or any other school is largely cherry picking. I'm sure you are just as tired as I am for convincing the world that Chris Gamble was indeed interferred with in the end zone in 2003.

This isn't an Auburn issue and I don't mean to pick at Auburn. I remember watching the Auburn LSU game thinking "someone in the SEC offices wants Auburn to stay undefeated."

I do think that the top SEC teams whether its LSU, Alabama, Auburn or Florida get the benefit of the calls as the season goes along. There is a line of thinking among SEC fans that "we play in the toughest league we deserve to get at least one team in the title game" And to be honest I would be lying if I said I didn't think there wasn't an outside influence helping to some extent.

Red Buckeye
09-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Comepletely ridiculous statement if that truely is your opinion.

So paying someone's dad over 200K is ok? Weird...As far as the SEC goes, the SEC East is for the most part clean.

My biggest gripes about some SEC teams are:

1. Cam Newton, a felon who stole a laptop from his roomate while at UF, goes to Auburn after his Dad shopped him around for over 200K. The NCAA said his dad found a "loophole" that got them a get out of jail free card.

2. Can't remember his name, but last year an LSU player stomped a US Marine down until he wasn't unconscious.

3.The practice of oversigning, which is a religion at LSU and Alabama.

There are some SEC fans who know about this, many shrug it off, but when a team gets what equals an extra recruiting class every four years there is no doubt it gives them a vast advantage over teams who find this practice unethical.

Check out www.oversigning.com to learn more.

4. ESPN's seemingly blind eye they turn to all the dirty shananigans the SEC pulls, yet their seemingly constant coverage of every little thing a Big Ten team does. I'm sure having a contract with the SEC has something to with this. The Big Ten Network being one of their main competitors probably has something to do with this as well.

With the exception of UF, every SEC team that's won the NC in their run they've had are all notorious oversigners.

I can let the Newton pay for play scandal fly by, but to me oversigning shouldn't be allowed in college football. It's unethical and simply not right.

That's what irkes alot of fans. I do have alot of respect for Georgia coach Mark Richt. He has been an outspoken opponent of oversigning and I feel bad for a guy who does it the right way but can't get ahead in his own conference because scumbags like Saban and Miles continue to oversign.

jojo
09-18-2012, 03:21 PM
This isn't an Auburn issue and I don't mean to pick at Auburn. I remember watching the Auburn LSU game thinking "someone in the SEC offices wants Auburn to stay undefeated."

I do think that the top SEC teams whether its LSU, Alabama, Auburn or Florida get the benefit of the calls as the season goes along. There is a line of thinking among SEC fans that "we play in the toughest league we deserve to get at least one team in the title game" And to be honest I would be lying if I said I didn't think there wasn't an outside influence helping to some extent.

I have yet to meet an SEC who thinks his team gets preferential treatment by SEC officials but it's hard to find an SEC fan who doesn't complain about the officials.

I think your opinion is based upon anecdotal evidence that simply isn't an accurate depiction of what happens.

jojo
09-18-2012, 03:23 PM
So paying someone's dad over 200K is ok?

Who did that?

Sea Ray
09-18-2012, 06:47 PM

There are some SEC fans who know about this, many shrug it off, but when a team gets what equals an extra recruiting class every four years there is no doubt it gives them a vast advantage over teams who find this practice unethical.

That's what irkes alot of fans. I do have alot of respect for Georgia coach Mark Richt. He has been an outspoken opponent of oversigning and I feel bad for a guy who does it the right way but can't get ahead in his own conference because scumbags like Saban and Miles continue to oversign.

As an SEC apologist, I have no problem with oversigning as long as it's within NCAA guidelines. If not then they deserve to be hammered by the NCAA. If the SEC is playing within the rules then kudos to them for doing all they can to play top notch football. Having been to colleges in both the SEC and the Big Ten, I can vouch for the fact that football is more important in the south and they'll go to all lengths to get ahead. No question

Red Buckeye
09-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Who did that?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/11/report-cam-newtons-dad-admits-he-sought-money-from-mississippi-state/1

jojo
09-18-2012, 10:01 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/11/report-cam-newtons-dad-admits-he-sought-money-from-mississippi-state/1

So the answer is no one did.

Red Buckeye
09-18-2012, 10:11 PM
As an SEC apologist, I have no problem with oversigning as long as it's within NCAA guidelines. If not then they deserve to be hammered by the NCAA. If the SEC is playing within the rules then kudos to them for doing all they can to play top notch football. Having been to colleges in both the SEC and the Big Ten, I can vouch for the fact that football is more important in the south and they'll go to all lengths to get ahead. No question

There is a reason most every college, and most athletic directors rail against oversigning. This isn't pro sports.

I guess I find the idea of promising a young man a college education to play football, only to yank his scholarship from him when I happen to recruit someone better than him at the same position is a little disreputable and immoral.

As far as which schools care most about football, I think a more appropriate gage of measuring this is how much a program spends on it's program, not how many loopholes a program can find. And also not how many educations a program renigs to student athletes.

According to Forbes, the top 3 biggest spending programs on college football were Ohio State, Alabama, and Notre Dame.

Red Buckeye
09-18-2012, 10:25 PM
So the answer is no one did.

Yeah right. If you truly don't think Newton's dad did no wrong I really don't even know what to say. Even my buddy who went to Auburn said it was well known.

But I guess it is possible that Cam's father Cecil, who was a pastor at Holy Zion Center of Deliverance, a church that at the time Newton went to Auburn was about to be foreclosed on and demolished unless it got some expensive repairs, got the load of cash to fix his church from a tree right?

The reason nothing happened to Newton was because the NCAA said since sCam Newton didn't know anything about it they couldn't punish him for it.

O.J was found not guilty too...

Sea Ray
09-18-2012, 10:42 PM
There is a reason most every college, and most athletic directors rail against oversigning. This isn't pro sports.

I guess I find the idea of promising a young man a college education to play football, only to yank his scholarship from him when I happen to recruit someone better than him at the same position is a little disreputable and immoral.

I tend to agree with you and as such I'd suggest the NCAA pass rules against such practices and enforce them. I blame the NCAA here not any schools. I have no problem with a football team that wins because they're secretly "holding" on every play. I blame the refs for not flagging them but I say kudos to the guilty team for doing what they could get away with in order to win

jojo
09-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Yeah right. If you truly don't think Newton's dad did no wrong I really don't even know what to say. Even my buddy who went to Auburn said it was well known.

But I guess it is possible that Cam's father Cecil, who was a pastor at Holy Zion Center of Deliverance, a church that at the time Newton went to Auburn was about to be foreclosed on and demolished unless it got some expensive repairs, got the load of cash to fix his church from a tree right?

The reason nothing happened to Newton was because the NCAA said since sCam Newton didn't know anything about it they couldn't punish him for it.

O.J was found not guilty too...

I think youre confused on this issue. Auburn was completely exhonerated concerning the recruitment of Cam. You can drink some nasty tasting wine made from your SEC sour grapes all you want, but at least stick to facts.

Todd Gack
09-19-2012, 08:26 AM
I think youre confused on this issue. Auburn was completely exhonerated concerning the recruitment of Cam. You can drink some nasty tasting wine made from your SEC sour grapes all you want, but at least stick to facts.

OJ received a 'not guilty' verdict too.

jojo
09-19-2012, 08:42 AM
OJ received a 'not guilty' verdict too.

The NCAA wasn't beholden to the opinions of 12 citizens who may or may not have been biased.

But you already knew that your statement was a fallacy of false equivalence (otherwise known as a fart of logical). The question is why would one do that purposefully in public?

Todd Gack
09-19-2012, 09:11 AM
The NCAA wasn't beholden to the opinions of 12 citizens who may or may not have been biased.

But you already knew that your statement was a fallacy of false equivalence (otherwise known as a fart of logical). The question is why would one do that purposefully in public?

So you common sense tells you OJ was innocent?

Red Buckeye
09-19-2012, 11:46 AM

Oh well. Obviously you will believe what you want to believe, and I'm in a great mood since I got my playoff tickets so I don't want to argue about something that happened a couple years ago. The biggest issue I have with the SEC is oversigning. It should be outlawed by the NCAA.

And I actually think I read or heard somewhere that the NCAA is making or has made a new rule requiring all athletic scholarships to be 4 year scholarships, so hopefully slimeballs like Saban and Miles won't be able to take kids educations away for underperforming on the field.

Although I'm sure the slimeballs will try and get as many "grayshirts" as they can I hope this balances things out like it rightfully should. Still, it will take 4 years for it all to even out so we will probably see Bama and LSU sporting NFL'like teams for the next 3-4 years.

Boston Red
09-19-2012, 01:12 PM
And I actually think I read or heard somewhere that the NCAA is making or has made a new rule requiring all athletic scholarships to be 4 year scholarships, so hopefully slimeballs like Saban and Miles won't be able to take kids educations away for underperforming on the field.

I, for one, don't really have a problem with that. The kids only get the scholarship in the first place because of their performance on the field, so I don't see the issue in taking it away if they don't peform. It's no different to me than requiring someone on academic scholarship to maintain a certain GPA.

Scrap Irony
09-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Oh well. Obviously you will believe what you want to believe, and I'm in a great mood since I got my playoff tickets so I don't want to argue about something that happened a couple years ago. The biggest issue I have with the SEC is oversigning. It should be outlawed by the NCAA.

Although I'm sure the slimeballs will try and get as many "grayshirts" as they can I hope this balances things out like it rightfully should. Still, it will take 4 years for it all to even out so we will probably see Bama and LSU sporting NFL'like teams for the next 3-4 years.

If Saban and Miles are slimeballs for pullling scolarships, are Pitino and Tom Crean also slimeballs for doing the same thing in basketball? Haven't Brady Hoke and Urban Meyer done the same thing?

Hoosier Red
09-19-2012, 10:21 PM
I tend to agree with you and as such I'd suggest the NCAA pass rules against such practices and enforce them. I blame the NCAA here not any schools. I have no problem with a football team that wins because they're secretly "holding" on every play. I blame the refs for not flagging them but I say kudos to the guilty team for doing what they could get away with in order to win

I agree with you Sea Ray. The other thing to keep in mind is that the players aren't dumb. I would think they can count and know that they're signing a LOI to a school that has too few scholarships.

To me, it comes down to honesty. So long as the coach is honest about the player's standing and upfront about not knowing if the scholarships will definitely open up, there's nothing wrong with the practice.

19braves77
09-19-2012, 10:37 PM
So paying someone's dad over 200K is ok? Weird...As far as the SEC goes, the SEC East is for the most part clean.

My biggest gripes about some SEC teams are:

1. Cam Newton, a felon who stole a laptop from his roomate while at UF, goes to Auburn after his Dad shopped him around for over 200K. The NCAA said his dad found a "loophole" that got them a get out of jail free card.

2. Can't remember his name, but last year an LSU player stomped a US Marine down until he wasn't unconscious.

Check out www.oversigning.com to learn more.

4. ESPN's seemingly blind eye they turn to all the dirty shananigans the SEC pulls, yet their seemingly constant coverage of every little thing a Big Ten team does. I'm sure having a contract with the SEC has something to with this. The Big Ten Network being one of their main competitors probably has something to do with this as well.

With the exception of UF, every SEC team that's won the NC in their run they've had are all notorious oversigners.

I can let the Newton pay for play scandal fly by, but to me oversigning shouldn't be allowed in college football. It's unethical and simply not right.

Urban Meyer is going to bring oversigning to Ohio State . Believe that.....

19braves77
09-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Here is another coach that has been Sabanized:

http://www.arkansassports360.com/87036/video-razorbacks-coach-john-l-smith-would-like-you-to-smile

Seriously, would you ever let this men mold your child ? Basically he killed his career.

AintlifeGrande
09-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Boy,the hatred for Saban is dreadful in this thread.But coming from squeaky clean Ohio State and it's fans,its par for the course.

Boston Red
09-19-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm pretty sure John L. killed his career when he lost to UL-Monroe. Losing 52-0 to Alabama didn't help, either.

19braves77
09-19-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm pretty sure John L. killed his career when he lost to UL-Monroe. Losing 52-0 to Alabama didn't help, either.

No Saban lost UAB his first year with LSU and also to Louisiana-Monroe his first year with Alabama. You can bet Saban wasn't smiling after either lose.. If JLS comes out and doesn't make excuses, he survives. His comments after halftime of the Alabama game also sealed his fate. When the reporter asked what changes would be made for the 2nd half & he answered.."Just keep doing what we're doing"(not his exact words)..Really coach..What you did in the 1st half opened up a "can of whoop a.." for your players.. It was clear he was in over head.

jojo
09-19-2012, 11:30 PM
No Saban lost UAB his first year with LSU and also to Louisiana-Monroe his first year with Alabama. You can bet Saban wasn't after either lose.. If JLS comes out and doesn't make excuses, he survives. His comments after halftime of the Alabama game also sealed his fate. When the reporter asked what changes would be made for the 2nd half & he answered.."Just keep doing what we're doing"(not his exact words)..Really coach..What you did in the 1st half opened up a "can of whoop a.." for your players.. It was clear he was in over head.

JS is done as the Arkansas coach. Hog fans thought this was their year to win a National Championship and when Petrino flamed out, JS was specifically brought in to run the offense like a Petrino clone. I can't think of a single compelling reason for why Arkansas would extend JS into a permanent HC.

19braves77
09-19-2012, 11:34 PM
and to be fair, Alabama had a coach like JLS also. This pretty much made it clear after this game that Kines would never be the full time head coach at Alabama.

Joe Kine's Indy Bowl Halftime Interview - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkNT28g6YBU)

Houston Nutt also had a habit of acting crazy during interviews after terrible loses.

19braves77
09-19-2012, 11:37 PM
JS is done as the Arkansas coach. Hog fans thought this was their year to win a National Championship and when Petrino flamed out, JS was specifically brought in to run the offense like a Petrino clone. I can't think of a single compelling reason for why Arkansas would extend JS into a permanent HC.

I think he could have survived this season up until that "smile" debacle.

Boston Red
09-20-2012, 12:46 AM
No Saban lost UAB his first year with LSU and also to Louisiana-Monroe his first year with Alabama. You can bet Saban wasn't smiling after either lose.. If JLS comes out and doesn't make excuses, he survives. His comments after halftime of the Alabama game also sealed his fate. When the reporter asked what changes would be made for the 2nd half & he answered.."Just keep doing what we're doing"(not his exact words)..Really coach..What you did in the 1st half opened up a "can of whoop a.." for your players.. It was clear he was in over head.

Saban wasn't brought in as an interim coach and didn't inherit a team in the top 10.

19braves77
09-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Saban wasn't brought in as an interim coach and didn't inherit a team in the top 10.

Right but at the time no player on UAB or UL Monroe roster would have been given a scholarship to play at LSU or Alabama.

Arkansas probably didnt deserve the #4 ranking to start the season.

Seems JLS needs the money he is getting this year:

http://www.pnj.com/usatoday/article/57808960&usatref=sportsmod?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports |p

Boston Red
09-20-2012, 10:33 AM
No doubt, but Saban didn't start on shaky ground. John L. did. When UL-M's QB hit the end zone in OT in Fayetteville, the John L. Smith era at Arkansas effectively ended.

WMR
09-20-2012, 07:12 PM

Which bastion of integrity do you root for? :lol::lol::lol:

Still waiting on Reds/Flyers to prove he's not a humongous hypocrite...

:beerme:

AintlifeGrande
09-20-2012, 11:38 PM
JLS was doomed from the start,was just a temp.
The fact that the Hogs have played so bad is the talent they have on both sides of the ball.Petrino did not believe in recruiting any semblance of defense,always tried to outscore you.That mindset may work elsewhere ,but not the defensive minded SEC.They in no way deserved their ranking to start the season.We will see how they respond to Syracuse Sat.with Wilson back under center.
If they lose,then that program will be in a free fall and may take years to rebuild.

AintlifeGrande
09-20-2012, 11:42 PM
and to be fair, Alabama had a coach like JLS also. This pretty much made it clear after this game that Kines would never be the full time head coach at Alabama.

Joe Kine's Indy Bowl Halftime Interview - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkNT28g6YBU)

Houston Nutt also had a habit of acting crazy during interviews after terrible loses.

Kines was just a fill in to ride the season out.Heckuva defensive coach,and an all around great guy.

Boston Red
09-21-2012, 01:17 AM
Petrino did not believe in recruiting any semblance of defense,always tried to outscore you.That mindset may work elsewhere ,but not the defensive minded SEC.

Petrino's Arkansas team last year beat everyone they played other than LSU and Alabama (who were #1 and #2 in the nation) and won the Cotton Bowl. His Louisville teams went 41-9 and won an Orange Bowl. Petrino may be a jerk, but there aren't really any holes in how he built teams. His teams won, period.

19braves77
09-22-2012, 10:01 PM
cmon Gene ! Show you can do something without Cam Newton !

jojo
09-22-2012, 11:19 PM
cmon Gene ! Show you can do something without Cam Newton !

Quit being a turd.

19braves77
09-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Blame that lose on the Auburn coaching staff. The OC is terrible. Gene probably did enough to get the monkeys off his back.

jojo
09-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Blame that lose on the Auburn coaching staff. The OC is terrible. Gene probably did enough to get the monkeys off his back.

LSU's defense is awesome. I'm not sure you're a football person.

Truthfully, Auburn left at least 10 pts on the field with Coats' drop on the deep route and Frazier missing an open McCaleb running down the sideline.

The game plan was fine. The offense is there. KF is just struggling to transition from a spread offense which he's always played to a pro set- one of the hardest transitions or a QB to make.

Revering4Blue
09-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Rutgers 35, Arkansas 26.

Man the lifeboats.

KronoRed
09-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Rutgers 35, Arkansas 26.

Man the lifeboats.

I can't see any reason they don't fire Smith right now, if they promote some staff guy the team might fight for him, they have quit on Smith.

Boston Red
09-23-2012, 12:32 AM
I can't see any reason they don't fire Smith right now, if they promote some staff guy the team might fight for him, they have quit on Smith.

Yeah, elevate Paul Petrino to head coach. It's already a circus down there. Why not just go ahead and confirm it?

19braves77
09-23-2012, 12:34 AM
LSU's defense is awesome. I'm not sure you're a football person.

Truthfully, Auburn left at least 10 pts on the field with Coats' drop on the deep route and Frazier missing an open McCaleb running down the sideline.

The game plan was fine. The offense is there. KF is just struggling to transition from a spread offense which he's always played to a pro set- one of the hardest transitions or a QB to make.

Let me get this straight. Aubbie have 2nd down near midfield with 5 minutes left ... a field goal beats the #2 team in the country ... They have one of the best place kickers in the nation ... and some of you folks think running a planned QB run and another run on 3rd and long was the right call? Please tell me you're only joking. Auburn's defense deserved coaches tonight that would play for the win.

jojo
09-23-2012, 12:51 AM
Let me get this straight. Aubbie have 2nd down near midfield with 5 minutes left ... a field goal beats the #2 team in the country ... They have one of the best place kickers in the nation ... and some of you folks think running a planned QB run and another run on 3rd and long was the right call? Please tell me you're only joking. Auburn's defense deserved coaches tonight that would play for the win.

They did play for the win. You just don't understand so you can't see it.

19braves77
09-23-2012, 12:55 PM
They did play for the win. You just don't understand so you can't see it.

Right by giving Frazier less then a minute to go 40 yards down the field against LSU's defense. If you dont think he can do it with 5 minutes left what made them think he could do it with less then a minute and no timeouts ? Its comical.

jojo
09-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Right by giving Frazier less then a minute to go 40 yards down the field against LSU's defense. If you dont think he can do it with 5 minutes left what made them think he could do it with less then a minute and no timeouts ? Its comical.

There's a big difference between "playing for field position and asking your defense to make a stop rather than doing something risky when youre behind the yardage" and "being schizophrenic about Frazier". You obviously watched that game through a certain filter.

WDE
09-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Loeffler is fine. KF will be fine. Our offensive threats are explosive. Our defense is getting it together. My one thing is that I wish we would run Mason more. Other than that, I love the way this team is going. Look out, 2013.

Chip R
09-25-2012, 11:34 PM
As if it isn't going bad enough for John L. now, he called Arkansas Alabama.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/news/Sports_Minute/30684519

jojo
09-25-2012, 11:39 PM
As if it isn't going bad enough for John L. now, he called Arkansas Alabama.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/news/Sports_Minute/30684519

He has had such a horrible month from all sides personal and professional. It's tragic.

Sea Ray
09-26-2012, 10:28 AM
The Today Show's coming to the University of Tennessee.

(NBC) -- It was a heated competition between Syracuse University, Ohio State University, University of Tennessee, Brandeis University, University of South Florida and Creighton University.

So after receiving almost 150,000 votes, the winner of Kathie Lee and Hoda Go Back to College contest is ... the University of Tennessee!

Tennessee competed against Syracuse University, Ohio State University, Brandeis University, University of South Florida and Creighton University.

The TODAY Show will broadcast the fourth hour, with Hoba Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford Monday at 10:00 a.m. live from the UT campus in Knoxville.

You'll be able to watch the events live on WRCB-TV.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/19622452/today-shows-kathy-lee-and-hoda-are-coming-to-university-of-tennessee-to-broadcast-a-whole-show

University of Tennessee students' school spirit is pushing the school into the world of morning TV.

On Monday, the freewheeling fourth hour of "Today," which features hosts Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb, will originate from the UT campus. UT is getting the opportunity after winning the show's "Kathie Lee and Hoda Go Back to College" challenge based on online votes.

http://www.knoxville.com/news/2012/sep/24/terry-morrow-ut-wins-visit-today-shows-kathie-lee/

Great choice Today Show. Hooray for UT!

WMR
09-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Maybe they can engage in this sort of behavior with the rest of the UT scholars... :D

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/alcohol-enema-pi-kappa-alpha-house-university-of-tennessee-investigation

Kathie Lee and Hoda could both probably use a good enema. :lol:

Sea Ray
09-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Maybe they can engage in this sort of behavior with the rest of the UT scholars... :D

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/alcohol-enema-pi-kappa-alpha-house-university-of-tennessee-investigation

Kathie Lee and Hoda could both probably use a good enema. :lol:

Funny thing is Kathie Lee and Hoda have been told that they'll have to leave their alcohol at home:

University of Tennessee officials informed "Today" show correspondent Sarah Haines that Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb will have to skip the drinking if they visit campus on Oct. 1. UT is one of six colleges vying in the "College Challenge" contest on the fourth hour of "Today." If UT gets enough online votes, Kathie Lee and Hoda will do their show live from campus.

However, there may be a slight glitch. UT is a dry campus, so there will be no drinking on air, as per the show's daily ritual. No Booze Day / Tuesday or Wines Day (Wednesday) at UT. Thank goodness the women may be here on a Monday.
http://blogs.knoxnews.com/telebuddy/archives/2012/09/knoxville-celebrities-kathie-lee-gifford-hoda-kotb-sober-at-university-of-tennessee-volunteers-2012.shtml

I must say, I lived a few houses down from the Pike House and we did have an alcohol poisoning incident where we contemplated calling the authorities but he snapped out of it and recovered nicely. I can assure you that we knew which hole to ingest the alcohol though. I'd say that incident tells us more about the Pike House than UT. What a bunch of idiots...

19braves77
09-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Guesses for this week:

Texas AM over Arkansas
Missouri over UCF
Tennessee over Georgia
South Carolina over Kentucky
LSU over Towson
ALabama over Ole Miss

KronoRed
09-29-2012, 05:51 PM
At this point one has to wonder if Arkansas will win another game, I think even Kentucky can take them now.

VottoFan54
10-06-2012, 03:54 PM
From what I've seen today, Auburn's QBs are pretty bad. I'm really surprised that Arkansas is winning, they looked awful the last few weeks. Florida-LSU and USC-Georgia should be great games.

jojo
10-06-2012, 06:15 PM
From what I've seen today, Auburn's QBs are pretty bad. I'm really surprised that Arkansas is winning, they looked awful the last few weeks. Florida-LSU and USC-Georgia should be great games.

Removing Frazier was a huge mistake.

Frankly there is no reason why Auburn shouldn't be 4-1 with a couple of signature wins.

Arkansas was a bad team before the game and they're leaving town still a bad team. Barring some miraculous change there's going to be some big changes in the off season if not before the end of the season. Maybe Chizik survives but Loeffler is a deadman walking. Today was a home game coming off of a bye week facing the worst defense in the league.

WMR
10-06-2012, 07:31 PM
I've heard Chizik is done... could be Bobby P incoming...

Guess we'll see...

jojo
10-06-2012, 08:02 PM
I've heard Chizik is done... could be Bobby P incoming...

Guess we'll see...

This was a defining afternoon that was difficult to endure. But i'd be shocked if Petrino was even an option if the decision is made to make a move.

If I were Jay Jacobs, I'd be polishing my resume. He might be in big jeopardy-especially given the big three are down. If I was a betting man, I'd say Jacobs gets axed and Loeffler is a deadman walking. The new AD probably keeps Chizik for a year while "evaluating" the athletic department meaning GC basically has to put all of his marbles into 2013 while the powerbrokers try to pry Jimbo Fisher from FSU.

WMR
10-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Florida beats LSU. BIG win for Muschamp.

19braves77
10-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Chizik was just outcoached by one John L. Smith. Think about that for a moment....

Go thru my last 10 post and everything I have said about Auburn is bearing fruit. Non Auburn football fans saw this coming. You cant hide poor coaching.

If Pat Dye says Chizik is staying, he is staying.

Lsu looked like it rather be at a crawlfish boil after halftime.

jojo
10-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Chizik was just outcoached by one John L. Smith. Think about that for a moment....

Go thru my last 10 post and everything I have said about Auburn is bearing fruit. Non Auburn football fans saw this coming. You cant hide poor coaching.

If Pat Dye says Chizik is staying, he is staying.

Lsu looked like it rather be at a crawlfish boil after halftime.

Look at a broken clock twice a day and it appears correct.

19braves77
10-06-2012, 09:08 PM
One might have hope because they understand football and context and realize there is a lot of young talent and great coaches in the program as the Tubberville void is over being essentially recruited away although growing pains are still going to exist because game experience can only come from playing against guys who have already paid their dues. So one could have hope by being the alternative to a toothless, extra from the set of Deliverance who never attended the university affiliated with the football program that they derive their sense of self worth and identity from...

Again, I can't speak for every person who sees what Chizik is building and is excited but the above is just a guess that probably comes close for a good many people on the Plains.

Was today laying a turd that couldn't get over fast enough? Ya, it's tough to find any positive but it doesn't define the state of the program.

What is positive in the program after Week 6 ? What is Chizik building here ?

jojo
10-06-2012, 09:16 PM
It's shocking whenever a bammer predicts a 6 or 7 win season for Auburn-like they predict every year for Auburn regardless.

It's shocking that a bammer would try to gloat on the rare occasion their broken clock might reflect accurate time.

19braves77
10-06-2012, 09:23 PM
It's shocking whenever a bammer predicts a 6 or 7 win season for Auburn-like they predict every year for Auburn regardless.

It's shocking that a bammer would try to gloat on the rare occasion their broken clock might reflect accurate time.

I said they would go 8-4 and there not even going to do that due to poor coaching. If its something else, then convince me instead of trying to be witty. Its an SEC discussion board. All teams will be discussed.

Slyder
10-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Sure glad to see Missouri really carrying their weight as WVU takes 10-15k fans to Austin to see WVU beat Texas!

KronoRed
10-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Sure glad to see Missouri really carrying their weight as WVU takes 10-15k fans to Austin to see WVU beat Texas!

I'm starting to think the real reason WVU didn't get an invite over Missouri was to water down the schedule with an easier win.

Sea Ray
10-08-2012, 10:13 AM
The first two games I think exposed the inexperience as a real weakness. But Auburn frankly could have beaten Clemson. Clearly the talent is there. Today's game? It was a major flop. But MSU has a scary good secondary and Mullen basically made Frazier have to meat MSU. As tests go, Clemson and MSU were probably the worst possible match ups as the first two opponents this year. Neither team is unbeatable (especially MSU) but they were bad matchups especially for road games.

Unless something unexpected happens (injuries or Chizik implodes and loses the players), the Tigers are going to get much better each week.

Advantage: 19braves77 . Kudos to you

jojo
10-08-2012, 10:44 AM
The backup quarterback finally got cleared to play and we saw what he can('t) do.

Now go back to Frazier and let him take his lumps as he transitions from a spread to a proset.

I'd say calls for Moseley when his shoulder wouldn't allow him to throw the ball with any authority were dead wrong and calls for Moseley now are dead wrong. The Tigers had a better chance to win if Frazier starts the second half. Moseley is no where near close to the QB of the future. Frazier very well might be.

There are three choices. Let Moseley take the reins and essentially gain nothing, try to hodgepodge a spread attack to play for this season to put Frazier in the best possible chance to succeed now or continue to let Frazier and an extremely young line take their lumps and perfect a pro-set offense to position the team to succeed for the long term. The latter is the correct path for the future.

A broken clock only has an advantage when it ignores context-i.e. the other 22 hours of the day. There hasn't been a college program that transitioned from the spread to a proset without some painful lumps. It's hard. And it's really hard with a freshman lineman and an inexperienced QB who has never played a proset in his life.

Loefler very well may get fired but it's myoptic to pin everything on him.

Boston Red
10-14-2012, 09:16 PM
I guess ole John L. still holds a grudge against UK for beating him to open his last season at Louisville. He and his boys certainly took out some frustrations on them yesterday. God had enough and sent in the lighting after about 40 minutes. More evidence of a merciful God.

WDE
10-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Just kill me now. How can we be so bad?

19braves77
10-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Three Top 10 draft classes that were recruited to play in schemes that are no longer being praticed.

If they fire Chiznik, I cant see any other coach wanting to go head to head with Saban in recruiting. They need to find an upcoming HC who doesn't mind being a 'Yes" man and they have to hope that Dooley gets a big game win. Cant see that many coaches choosing Auburn over the Tennessee job.

jojo
10-18-2012, 06:22 AM
Three Top 10 draft classes that were recruited to play in schemes that are no longer being praticed.

If they fire Chiznik, I cant see any other coach wanting to go head to head with Saban in recruiting. They need to find an upcoming HC who doesn't mind being a 'Yes" man and they have to hope that Dooley gets a big game win. Cant see that many coaches choosing Auburn over the Tennessee job.

You're funny. Frankly you should just worry about who will replace your coach this off season when he bolts for the Browns.

dabvu2498
10-18-2012, 03:45 PM
I'll be there in Nashville for the further demise of Chizik on Saturday.

Although, I hate the idea that Vandy is favored in the game. There's no way they shod be a 7 point fave.

jojo
10-18-2012, 04:47 PM
I'll be there in Nashville for the further demise of Chizik on Saturday.

Although, I hate the idea that Vandy is favored in the game. There's no way they shod be a 7 point fave.

This game could be the final nail for Chizik.

But on paper, Vandy is a good team for the Tigers to get healthy on.... Vandy hasn't ran or thrown the ball well and they've been unable to stop the run. Auburn shouldn't have to pass unless it's a play action for fun. In theory.

But Chizik has earned his hot seat. He's been unable to keep his his hands out of either the DC's or particularly damning, the OC's job. It's been particularly damaging on offense, where Chizik is clearly at his weakest. It was one thing to decide to switch from the spread to a pro set (a risky decision, especially since it is one of the hardest transitions to make, but not one that I think is indefensible). It's another thing to then hire a proset OC and then stick your nose in all aspects of his decision making. People are calling for Loefler to be fired but truth be told, if Chizik stays, he's probably lucky if Loefler doesnt leave. But he ran off Malzahn and Roof and I'm still surprised that he was able to convince Van Gorder to join the staff given Chizik's penchant for meddling.

It would take a minor miracle for Chizik to keep his job given the last 18 games. But Chizik is clearly building a strong program and he's doing it cleanly. But his decision to switch offenses and his achilles heel (inability to keep from meddling) has created a perfect storm in the short term. Whoever takes over in December will be getting a roster loaded with young talent (the early inside bet is Petrino/Van Gorder/Petrino as HC/DC/OC).

We'll see if Saturday is the first step in Chizik's miracle.

Revering4Blue
10-18-2012, 08:03 PM
It was one thing to decide to switch from the spread to a pro set (a risky decision, especially since it is one of the hardest transitions to make, but not one that I think is indefensible). It's another thing to then hire a proset OC and then stick your nose in all aspects of his decision making

I'm afraid that is precisely what is happening. I base that on the fact that Loefler's offense at Temple, which was very productive, was actually a spread offense with Pro elements, not the other way around.

I do not understand why a HC hires an OC and doesn't allow the OC to run the offense as he see's fit. It was also, IMHO, ridiculous that Tommy T in '08 hired Tony Franklin--a spread/Air Raid guru whose offense has proven to be effective everywhere he's coached-- to implement the spread and expected a seamless transition from Al Borges West Coast offense.

jojo
10-18-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm afraid that is precisely what is happening. I base that on the fact that Loefler's offense at Temple, which was very productive, was actually a spread offense with Pro elements, not the other way around.

I do not understand why a HC hires an OC and doesn't allow the OC to run the offense as he see's fit. It was also, IMHO, ridiculous that Tommy T in '08 hired Tony Franklin--a spread/Air Raid guru whose offense has proven to be effective everywhere he's coached-- to implement the spread and expected a seamless transition from Al Borges West Coast offense.

These kinds of things are easiest to transition through when you're down because people are conditioned for some lumps.

But to be fair, 2011-2012 is the Tubby bubble where the sins of Tuberville's last two subpar recruiting classes would come to full bare. I think Chizik saw this as a chance to redefine the offensive philosophy. Malzahn was not going to implement a pro style. He's all about stretching out a game not shortening it.

But the biggest tell in hindsight should've been when Loeffler wasn't allowed to bring any assistants with him... I don't buy the argument that recruiting has to change substantially for a proset versus the spread but another flag shouldve been personnel as the Tiger OLine though very talented (actually these guys are going to be beasts) is very young. Also, their talented but inexperienced QB had never taken a snap in a proset offense in his life. McCaleb just isn't the guy to power the proset's requirement for running between the tackles. It's the perfect storm when you consider that Chizik is also creating a schizophrenic situation with his meddling ultimately making the pain much greater. It's inexplicable why Mason gets fewer carries as the game goes on. With the exception of the turds laid in the MSU and Arkansas games, every game has been winnable. Ultimately the fact that they weren't won is going to haunt Chizik as while the explanations for the results are legion, they all generally lead back to the HC.

In the end, Chizik's biggest mistake may have been overestimating the time he had in order to get these changes implemented. It's starting to look very likely that someone else is going to be challenging for SEC championships with his players.

WMR
10-18-2012, 10:12 PM
I told you that you guys were gonna be looking at Bobby P, jojo. ;)

jojo
10-18-2012, 11:03 PM
I told you that you guys were gonna be looking at Bobby P, jojo. ;)

It ain't a fact until its a fact.

The administration's MO is to not address these kinds of personnel issues until season's end. A lot can happen between now and December. Nothing is a given. Obviously boosters operate on their own timeline and there is a strong undercurrent of support for Petrino.

That said there would be a strong undercurrent against his hire too and he is an integral part of one of the most embarrassing incidents in recent Auburn history. Besides, there currently is no coaching vacancy.

But ya, you're right that if Chizik gets fired, Petrino would be a serious candidate. He'd crawl through fire for the job that he's described as his dream job.

19braves77
10-20-2012, 02:32 AM
This weeks guesses:

Alabama wins at Tennessee- 24 10

Tons of mismatch problems for Alabama on defense vs Vols WRS. I expect Alabama to try to make this a short game.

Auburn loses at Vandy 6-3

Auburn might go winless in the SEC.

South Carolina wins at Florida 31- 30
Gamecocks are better

Georgia wins big at Kentucky 56-10

Middle Tennessee loses at Mississippi State 35 -17
Bulldogs last victory of the year.

LSU loses at Texas A&M 21-14

Only because its early and a day game.

dabvu2498
10-20-2012, 02:51 AM
You want to revise that SC-UF pick with Lattimore's injury situation?

jojo
10-20-2012, 03:20 AM
You want to revise that SC-UF pick with Lattimore's injury situation?

What a brutal stretch in the schedule for SC. Georgia's schedule on the other hand is comparatively very weak.

19braves77
10-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Florida's method of winning games is defense, special teams, winning the field position battle, run the football and only throw the ball 8 yards. Their margin for error is very small. If South Carolina gets a 14 point lead, I dont see how they come back due to Driksel not winning a game with his arm yet.

I think the score is that high due to defensive TD's by the way.

Sea Ray
10-20-2012, 10:10 AM
This weeks guesses:

Alabama wins at Tennessee- 24 10

Tons of mismatch problems for Alabama on defense vs Vols WRS. I expect Alabama to try to make this a short game.

I doubt it'll be that close. Bray will throw plenty of INTs so Alabama can score 50

Sea Ray
10-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Just kill me now. How can we be so bad?

Pretty bad. At least in the NFL you could look forward to a nice draft pick

Sea Ray
10-20-2012, 05:43 PM

So which was it, injuries or a coach implosion?

Sea Ray
10-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Auburn losses against Clemson, LSU, Texas AM, Georgia, and Alabama

There swing game is Arkansas.

So 7-5 or 6-6

You can't seriously believe Auburn will finish with those records.

Yeah, I guess he overestimated them War Eagles

Not being a homer, but we aren't going to lose to TAMU. Swing games are Arkansas AND Clemson. Clemson was a swing game with Sammy Watkins, and now he is out for the game. I think it is fair to say the losses are LSU, Georgia, and Alabama, but Clemson is not a sure loss.

Still think Texas A & M is a sure win? They've got one week to pull it together. If they do, I'll tip my cap to them, but they looked horrible today in Nashville

jojo
10-20-2012, 05:54 PM
So which was it, injuries or a coach implosion?

One thing Auburn does have going for it is that Auburn is not Tennessee. History says Auburn will be back challenging for an SEC championship within 2 yrs which is very reasonable especially if they can keep intact what will be their 4th straight top 10 recruiting class. I dunno, the Vols have been wallowing for half a decade and might wallow another 5 yrs if they ever even get back there....

Revering4Blue
10-20-2012, 06:00 PM
I doubt it'll be that close. Bray will throw plenty of INTs so Alabama can score 50

Do you really believe that it will be that bad? I'll freely admit that I underestimated Bray. It wasn't as much as I was down on Bray as I was thought highly of Tajh Boyd--still do.

Be that as it may, Bray has shown me that if given time, he's got the arm strength to make all the throws on the next level.

As a pocket passer, I can't understand why Matt Barkley is rated significantly higher than Bray. Barkley = Jimmy Clausen with better receivers from what I've seen.

Boston Red
10-20-2012, 06:00 PM
One thing Auburn does have going for it is that Auburn is not Tennessee.

As someone with no dog in the hunt....I'd rather be Tennessee.

jojo
10-20-2012, 06:05 PM

Not me. Auburn's next coaching staff will have a sweet shortcut.

Revering4Blue
10-20-2012, 06:05 PM

I believe that Tennessee is the better job of the two. But I also believe that Auburn, should they make a change, stands a better chance of landing Petrino for the reasons Jojo already mentioned.

Sea Ray
10-20-2012, 06:07 PM
One thing Auburn does have going for it is that Auburn is not Tennessee. History says Auburn will be back challenging for an SEC championship within 2 yrs which is very reasonable especially if they can keep intact what will be their 4th straight top 10 recruiting class. I dunno, the Vols have been wallowing for half a decade and might wallow another 5 yrs if they ever even get back there....

No question about it, the Vols got big problems. At the very best they've wasted three yrs on this Dooley experiment which was quite ill advised. Were I an Auburn fan, I'd not take much comfort in knowing that I'm in a better position than UT but that's on you

Sea Ray
10-20-2012, 06:08 PM
I believe that Tennessee is the better job of the two. But I also believe that Auburn, should they make a change, stands a better chance of landing Petrino for the reasons Jojo already mentioned.

As a Tennessee alum I sure hope you're right. I want no part of Petrino in Knoxville

Boston Red
10-20-2012, 06:11 PM
As a Tennessee alum I sure hope you're right. I want no part of Petrino in Knoxville

All that winning does get old.

Sea Ray
10-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Do you really believe that it will be that bad? I'll freely admit that I underestimated Bray. It wasn't as much as I was down on Bray as I was thought highly of Tajh Boyd--still do.

Be that as it may, Bray has shown me that if given time, he's got the arm strength to make all the throws on the next level.

As a pocket passer, I can't understand why Matt Barkley is rated significantly higher than Bray. Barkley = Jimmy Clausen with better receivers from what I've seen.

No question that Bray has better arm strength, size etc than Barkley but I've been disappointed in his gunslinger mentality and judgement. I think Bama's defense will force him into bad decisions. I think Bray still has the potential to be a nice NFL prospect but he definitely needs another yr in college. They won't tolerate much of this INT stuff at the next level.

As for coaching, I think they need to tell him that he doesn't have to go downfield all the time. Coach him to use checkdowns like RBs/TEs AND give him those targets. I've seen plays where they didn't have any checkdowns for him to consider. It's longball or nothing. But as a three star recruit coming out of California, Bray has been quite a find

dabvu2498
10-20-2012, 06:13 PM
But on paper, Vandy is a good team for the Tigers to get healthy on.... Vandy hasn't ran... the ball well...

Good call!!!

Sea Ray
10-20-2012, 06:15 PM
All that winning does get old.

Jerry Sandusky did a lot of winning too but there's more to life than that

Boston Red
10-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Jerry Sandusky did a lot of winning too but there's more to life than that

Bobby Petrino isn't exactly Jerry Sandusky.

jojo
10-20-2012, 06:22 PM
[/B]

Good call!!!

Have you ever seen a team beg to be beaten as badly as Vandy begged today?

What was up with having Stacy try to throw the ball in the 4th quarter on 4th and short?

Franklin ain't the guy to get your guys over the hump.

Chizik is dead man walking. The next two days will be interesting. Rumbling suggests Loeffler might get axed. It would be completely out of character for Gogue, but I wouldnt be shocked if Chizik was sent packing this week.

19braves77
10-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Florida has 21 points with only 29 total yards.

dabvu2498
10-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Have you ever seen a team beg to be beaten as badly as Vandy begged today?

What was up with having Stacy try to throw the ball in the 4th quarter on 4th and short?

Franklin ain't the guy to get your guys over the hump.

And yet, all those 4-5 star recruits...

But anyway... Franklin is the guy but he needs to realize they're actually good enough to beat teams like Auburn, Mizzou, etc. without all the crazy play calls. Lots and lots and lots of true frosh on the field today for Vandy.

Also, I didn't hate the Stacy pass call nearly as much as I hated the fake punt call.

jojo
10-20-2012, 07:05 PM

But anyway... Franklin is the guy but he needs to realize they're actually good enough to beat teams like Auburn, Mizzou, etc. without all the crazy play calls. Lots and lots and lots of true frosh on the field today for Vandy.

Also, I didn't hate the Stacy pass call nearly as much as I hated the fake punt call.

I forgot about that punt call. I agree Franklin needs to get out of his players way.

The recruits will be there for Chizik's replacement.

19braves77
10-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Spurrier with the quick hook on the QB just like the old days. Bad idea in the long run. If you dont believe in the QB, his teammates aren't going to believe in him.

jojo
10-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Tuesday may be an interesting day for SEC news.

Brutus
10-20-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure I understand the sentiment that Tennessee is not Auburn.

All-time winning percentage:

Tennessee .687, 6 titles, 13 SEC Championships
Auburn .632, 2 titles, 7 SEC Championships

Seems more appropriate to say history suggests it's more likely Tennessee has a better outlook on the future than the other way around. Tennessee has had an overwhelmingly better history.

dabvu2498
10-20-2012, 08:18 PM
At least South Carolina... Uhhhh... Nevermind.

WDE
10-20-2012, 08:21 PM

But anyway... Franklin is the guy but he needs to realize they're actually good enough to beat teams like Auburn.

May be good enough to beat the 2012 Auburn football team, but not Auburn in general. Auburn will beat Vandy most of the time.

19braves77
10-20-2012, 08:27 PM
One more run drive by Alabama and its game over. Tennessee looks undersized everywhere on defense.

jojo
10-20-2012, 08:35 PM
In the modern era (i.e. the last 30 years marked by Bear Bryant's final season) Auburn has a winning percentage of .711 (ranked 9th in Div 1 football). They are 15th overall if looking all the way back to pioneer times.

Looking at losing seasons for Auburn around this period demonstrates the argument:

In 1981, the Tigers were 5-6. They won the SEC championship in 1983 going 11-2.

They were 5-6 in 1991 and were 11-0 by 1993.

They were 3-8 in 1998 and played in the SEC championship game by 2000 finishing 9-4 having finished the season with two losses.

The Tigers were 5-7 in 2008 and were SEC and National Champions by 2010 finishing 14-0

They will likely finish with a losing record this season but Chizik's successor will inherit a roster loaded with young, high caliber talent built from four top ten recruiting classes in a row and he'll work in an athletic department that spares no expense concerning it's football program (his coaching staff will be the best money can buy), that also has a tradition of strong recruiting. There is no reason to believe that Auburn will not be challenging for the SEC championship again very shortly.

Tennessee, while also a traditional power, is mired in a half decade of struggle with no real reason to think a dramatic change is eminent. They are facing the possibility of having their fourth coach in 6 years and their department is also dealing with financial issues which could hamper their ability to bring "the guy" and his optimal staff.

So really context is pretty important. As stocks go, i'd be all over Auburn's.

19braves77
10-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Gone are the days that Bama plays conservative.

19braves77
10-20-2012, 10:19 PM
That 4th and 1 call is why Dooley has no business being a HC.

KronoRed
10-21-2012, 05:10 AM
Spurrier with the quick hook on the QB just like the old days. Bad idea in the long run. If you dont believe in the QB, his teammates aren't going to believe in him.

Spurrier has a mess on his hands, when his team can't run they crumble, I think he's taken USCe as far as he can, he's also pulling a bowden by keeping his son on staff when the position he coaches is a huge problem.

dabvu2498
10-21-2012, 10:47 AM
May be good enough to beat the 2012 Auburn football team, but not Auburn in general. Auburn will beat Vandy most of the time.

Vanderbilt has an all time winning record against one SEC school. And it ain't Tennessee.

jojo
10-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Vanderbilt has an all time winning record against one SEC school. And it ain't Tennessee.

What team is it?

dabvu2498
10-21-2012, 11:28 AM
What team is it?

Auburn

jojo
10-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Auburn

After yesterday Vandy is 3-14 against Auburn since 1951.

It's nice that Vandy has been a little more stout that usual the last few seasons but let's not pretend that in our lifetimes it isn't a surprise when they beat an Auburn team....

dabvu2498
10-21-2012, 11:54 AM
After yesterday Vandy is 3-14 against Auburn since 1951.

It's nice that Vandy has been a little more stout that usual the last few seasons but let's not pretend that in our lifetimes it isn't a surprise when they beat an Auburn team....

And yet 2 in a row.

dabvu2498
10-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Anyways, that wasn't my point... Point was, there are games, even SEC games, Vanderbilt can win now without the wonky play calling. Franklin needs to see that.

jojo
10-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Anyways, that wasn't my point... Point was, there are games, even SEC games, Vanderbilt can win now without the wonky play calling. Franklin needs to see that.

Ya. If Auburn had even half of its stuff together, Franklin would have lost the game for his team yesterday.

I did like how he pushed the issue on 4th down though with the exception of the Stacy pass attempt in the 4th.

jojo
10-21-2012, 12:23 PM
And yet 2 in a row.

And in both those years, the auburn football coach lost his job.... :beerme:

Sea Ray
10-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Bobby Petrino isn't exactly Jerry Sandusky.

My point is that character matters or at least I'd like to think it should at my Alma Mater

Boston Red
10-21-2012, 01:09 PM
My point is that character matters or at least I'd like to think it should at my Alma Mater

Winning is all that matters. Petrino doesn't cheat, doesn't do illegal things and is a workaholic. My suspicion is that 90%+ of these high-caliber college football coaches aren't your highest character fellows.

jojo
10-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Winning is all that matters. Petrino doesn't cheat, doesn't do illegal things and is a workaholic. My suspicion is that 90%+ of these high-caliber college football coaches aren't your highest character fellows.

And if the Petrino thing could've been possible to keep quiet, Petrino would still be the head coach at Arkansas.

WDE
10-21-2012, 01:48 PM

You also played us in our 2 worst years since the start of the millenium. I find that to be a bit lucky.

Sea Ray
10-21-2012, 02:51 PM

As a UT fan, Auburn can have him. He does have a history as a liar and a quitter. I'll take my chances with someone who doesn't have that on their resume.

dabvu2498
10-21-2012, 04:07 PM

If he will cheat on his wife, he will cheat on the NCAA.

Boston Red
10-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Well, it IS the SEC. He has to cheat a little just to keep up.

jojo
10-21-2012, 06:10 PM

If someone would lie to his boss and lie to the NCAA, he will cheat on his wife.

Does it work that way too?

dabvu2498
10-21-2012, 06:32 PM
If someone would lie to his boss and lie to the NCAA, he will cheat on his wife.

Does it work that way too?

It could. Some people take vows seriously. Some don't.

I'd generally expect most folks to take the vows to their spouses more seriously than vows to their employers.

KronoRed
10-21-2012, 07:00 PM

Don't forget Sewanee;)

Boston Red
10-21-2012, 07:06 PM
I'd generally expect most folks to take the vows to their spouses more seriously than vows to their employers.

Based on our current divorce rates, I don't see why you'd expect that.

19braves77
10-21-2012, 09:02 PM
From what I have read the past 6 years, if the NCAA comes to you and you tell them up front you cheated, they are willing to work with you. Its when you mislead them and then they have to get involved with 3rd parties that they bring hellfire down on your program.

19braves77
10-22-2012, 03:27 AM
This Auburn situation is weird. On Saturday half of the my co-workers are calling for change at Auburn and then Sunday reality sets in and they realize no one is coming anytime soon. Give Chizik one more year. We are only a QB and a RB away from being good.

The other half is like the fans Rick and Bubba were talking about. These are the ones that talk about character and morals and what a great Christian man Chizik was (is) when he was hired. Fast forward two years and a 1-5 record and they don't care about morals or character--they only care about winning football games--so much so as to want a coach who is a proven liar and philanderer by the name of Bobby Petrino who will probably quit on them after losing the Indepedence Day bowl vs Baylor in 2015.

Boston Red
10-22-2012, 03:35 AM
Bobby Petrino who will probably quit on them after losing the Indepedence Day bowl vs Baylor in 2015.

I suppose that's possible. On the other hand, Petrino's last game at the two college head coaching jobs he's had were an Orange Bowl win and a Cotton Bowl win.

19braves77
10-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Great article about the current state of college football in Alabama

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/10/scarbinsky_auburns_gene_chizik.html

and this is coming from a pro Auburn writer.

WDE
10-22-2012, 07:50 PM
and this is coming from a pro Auburn writer.

Scarbinsky isn't a pro Auburn writer. And you are quickly becoming very annoying. Then again, what do you expect from bammers?

jojo
10-22-2012, 08:00 PM
There’s no excuse for 3-9 or 4-8 at Auburn. No excuse for 9-11 since the BCS title. No excuse for ugly losses to old rivals and uglier defeats against old doormats.

There is truth in this statement but 2011-12 were supposed to be down years because of the Tubby bubble. But they weren't supposed to be this down and a case can be made that for all of the good that he is in fact doing, Chizik's decisions have played a role in how things are playing out on the field.

But all of the goodwill from 2010 has not been undone. Tide fans would like the accomplishment to somehow be diminished, but it still stands as a pinnacle achievement.

But ya, coaches get fired at traditional powerhouse programs for records like the ones of this season and last. Ultimately Chizik cant escape that. But he will leave the Tiger program in better shape then it was when he arrived. His successor will benefit greatly.

As an aside, Chizik's mother passed away last night. I truly feel for him and his family. This has been a very tough few months for them.

19braves77
10-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Alabama would be better off just cutting ties with this guy:

http://www.pnj.com/article/20121024/SPORTS10/310240032/Darius-Paige-case-bringing-NCAA-Pensacola?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

jojo
10-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Alabama would be better off just cutting ties with this guy:

http://www.pnj.com/article/20121024/SPORTS10/310240032/Darius-Paige-case-bringing-NCAA-Pensacola?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Im not really sure this story has legs. It's difficult as things stand to see how this escalates into a smoking gun relating to a serious violation.

jojo
10-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Roh roh.... Jay Gogue issued a statement about Auburn football today:

A Message to the Auburn Family about Auburn Football

The Auburn spirit is part of everything we do – in the classroom and beyond. It includes the spirit we show when we support those who represent us on the playing field.

Later today, Auburn students and the local community will gather to cheer on the football team as they practice. I encourage others to follow their example by coming together and getting behind the young men who wear the orange and blue each fall Saturday.

In the past few weeks, many of you have contacted me, and I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to share your thoughts about the football program. I know your concerns are sincere and heartfelt, and I share many of them. As we do every year, the football program will be evaluated in an objective, thorough and professional process.

For everything there is a time, and now is the time to support. The young men and women – our students – who make up Auburn University are grateful for the dedication of their extended Auburn Family. So am I.

War Eagle!

Jay Gogue

It was a pretty simple statement, a statement that did not have to be made and did not mention support for coaches and did not get filtered through the AD's office. If some were expecting a boilerplate vote of confidence for Chizik, this wasn't it. In fact, it might be about as far away from a vote of confidence that you'll ever hear officially from a President of a major university.

If Auburn loses to A&M this weekend, it guarantees a losing season for the Tigers and ends the prospects for bowl eligibility. Traditionally, Auburn has waited until the season's end to evaluate the program (i.e. fire the head coach). No where does Gogue say Auburn would wait until the end of the season....

Intrigue on the Plains.

texasdave
10-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Adios, Honey Badger.

Four former LSU football players — including 2011 Heisman Trophy finalist Tyrann “Honey Badger” Mathieu and ex-quarterback Jordan Jefferson — were arrested Thursday and charged with possession of marijuana, law enforcement sources told WAFB’s Jim Shannona Kiran Chawla.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/10/25/tyrann-mathiew-ex-lsu-players-arrested-drug-possession/?sct=hp_t2_a8&eref=sihp

WMR
10-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Way to cost yourself hundreds of thousands of dollars...

jojo
10-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Way to cost yourself hundreds of thousands of dollars...

It's kind of mind boggling isn't it?

KronoRed
10-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Aww, and one week after a puff piece in SI about how he has turned his life around.

texasdave
10-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Aww, and one week after a puff piece in SI about how he has turned his life around.

I was thinking the same thing. I guess he turned it around 360 degrees instead of just 180.

Chip R
10-25-2012, 11:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I guess he turned it around 360 degrees instead of just 180.

More like 420. ;)

texasdave
10-25-2012, 11:41 PM
More like 420. ;)

dabvu2498
10-26-2012, 06:56 PM
I know we get jaded with dudes like Mathieu and hiring and firing million dollar coaches and alleged shady recruiting, but there's plenty of great kids playing this game. Every team has kids like this, but here's a lil piece about the guy who's on "my" team that make putting up with hearing about all the other BS worth it:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/69480/kicking-it-with-vanderbilts-zac-stacy-2

jojo
10-26-2012, 07:02 PM
I know we get jaded with dudes like Mathieu and hiring and firing million dollar coaches and alleged shady recruiting, but there's plenty of great kids playing this game. Every team has kids like this, but here's a lil piece about the guy who's on "my" team that make putting up with hearing about all the other BS worth it:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/69480/kicking-it-with-vanderbilts-zac-stacy-2

Players like Stacy are kind of what makes college football still worth watching.

Auburn has a guy, Ashton Richardson who went from walk on to scholarship athlete who is #2 on the LBer depth chart and has just been announced as a Rhodes Scholar finalist.

dabvu2498
10-27-2012, 03:33 PM
OK... Back to million dollar coaches... Can UT get (or would they want) John Gruden?