PDA

View Full Version : SEC Football Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

jojo
10-27-2012, 02:36 PM
OK... Back to million dollar coaches... Can UT get (or would they want) John Gruden?

Its probably the most likely job that would entice Gruden to the college ranks. I think they'd pounce if they can afford him.

dabvu2498
10-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Its probably the most likely job that would entice Gruden to the college ranks. I think they'd pounce if they can afford him.

I know he's got a few Tennessee ties, but you don't think he'd go for either Arkansas or Auburn?

jojo
10-27-2012, 03:32 PM
I know he's got a few Tennessee ties, but you don't think he'd go for either Arkansas or Auburn?

I think if Tennessee wants him bad enough, they will get him. Auburn would be a second choice but the money would have to be right and Auburn would have to go for him. I don't think he'd go to Arkansas.

jojo
10-27-2012, 03:37 PM
There is just no way that the Vols should be 0-5 in the SEC....and this is becoming a trend. If the Vols want Gruden, I think they'll find a way....

Here's some intrigue:

https://twitter.com/BWFullington/status/262252148958564352

19braves77
10-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Couple of of posters on other football boards are saying the Lattimore injury reminds them of the Theisman injure. His kneecap is sitting on the outside of his right leg while the leg itself is straight. You could tell Marcus was going into shock.

jojo
10-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Couple of of posters on other football boards are saying the Lattimore injury reminds them of the Theisman injure. His kneecap is sitting on the outside of his right leg while the leg itself is straight. You could tell Marcus was going into shock.

The JT one was worse to watch because the camera caught Lawrence Taylor unobstructed while Lattimore's was mostly blocked by tacklers.

gilpdawg
10-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Broken femur and all knee ligaments torn for Lattimore is what I'm reading. Horrible if true. That's not your "routine" ACL type rehab. He's going to have a hard road ahead.

(when I say routine I am not trying to poo poo it, but it's pretty much a 100% return to form rate these days)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Stray
10-28-2012, 12:02 AM
That Lattimore injury was horrific. I'm no doctor but if the reports coming out are true, I just hope he can recover and spend the rest of his life walking normally without pain.

Slyder
10-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Broken femur and all knee ligaments torn for Lattimore is what I'm reading. Horrible if true. That's not your "routine" ACL type rehab. He's going to have a hard road ahead.

(when I say routine I am not trying to poo poo it, but it's pretty much a 100% return to form rate these days)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Where would Willis McGehee's knee injury fall in comparision? I know he spent about a year rehabbing after he was drafted but his was pretty bad wasn't it?

gilpdawg
10-28-2012, 04:42 AM
Where would Willis McGehee's knee injury fall in comparision? I know he spent about a year rehabbing after he was drafted but his was pretty bad wasn't it?
Don't think Willis had any femur damage, just ACL/MCL/PCL.

Stray
10-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Yeah McGahee tore 3 ligaments in his knee.

Lattimore also broke his femur which is insane, the thigh bone is one of the toughest bones to break, and then he broke his knee cap and tore the 4th ligament in his knee. Total destruction in that area of the leg...anything that is there to hold that area of the leg together was torn or broken except for the skin.

You just hope he can recover to walk normally again. I don't really know what the expectations are after an injury like this.

jojo
10-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Yeah McGahee tore 3 ligaments in his knee.

Lattimore also broke his femur which is insane, the thigh bone is one of the toughest bones to break, and then he broke his knee cap and tore the 4th ligament in his knee. Total destruction in that area of the leg...anything that is there to hold that area of the leg together was torn or broken except for the skin.

You just hope he can recover to walk normally again. I don't really know what the expectations are after an injury like this.

I think he's got coaching in his sports future. It would be surprising if he ever competed on a high level again.

jojo
10-28-2012, 06:18 PM
There is some pretty serious chatter about Jay Jacobs being replaced with an interim AD (Scott Etheridge) @ Auburn as early as tomorrow which would flick the dominoes leading to Chizik's departure (maybe as early as this week?), an outcome that is all but certain now.

These are unusually specific details much like the stuff I was hearing during the Cam saga so I'm cautiously expecting a bit of an eventful week. At the very least these rumblings clearly signal that there are some serious conversations being had in the mansion on the corner of Samford and South College and the decision making process is already well underway.

improbus
11-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Did anyone see the Sportscenter interview with Nick Saban? I only saw the visual of Nick in his wood paneled office, wearing his argyle sweater, and wearing loafers with no socks and high pants. It was an astounding visual.

He is the peer of Calipari as far as being on the top of his profession, but is the opposite in another way. Saban thinks he is cool but isn't and Cal think he isn't cool but he is.

WDE
11-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Did anyone see the Sportscenter interview with Nick Saban? I only saw the visual of Nick in his wood paneled office, wearing his argyle sweater, and wearing loafers with no socks and high pants. It was an astounding visual.

He is the peer of Calipari as far as being on the top of his profession, but is the opposite in another way. Saban thinks he is cool but isn't and Cal think he isn't cool but he is.

He looked creepy in that.

WDE
11-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Word is we are shooting for Jimbo Fisher.

Puffy
11-02-2012, 01:11 PM

You guys should shoot higher.

Boston Red
11-02-2012, 06:23 PM

I hope you hit him.

jojo
11-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Auburn will be picking from some great names both for their AD and HC positions. Chizik will not be around any longer than Dec 1 and may be gone sooner depending upon how long it takes to get all the ducks in a row. His replacement will probably be hired by an interim AD and will likely have an established track record of winning a lot.

Jimbo Fisher? Maybe. Petrino? Right now, I'd be shocked by that.
I think Auburn fans ought to relax and just be a little patient. This isn't going to require a lot of patience.

dabvu2498
11-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Les Miles giveth. Les Miles taketh away.

KronoRed
11-04-2012, 02:34 AM

Maybe now we can stop hearing the idiocy that Alabama could beat an NFL team.

GAC
11-04-2012, 04:21 AM

Ain't that the truth. Your defense, especially in the second half, pretty much has throttled their offense (and QB) where they haven't down squat. McCarron was 1 of 7 for 0 yards in the second half. Then on the last drive, with about 1:30 minutes left, you basically loosen up your "grip" (pressure), have your secondary playing soft coverage, thinking the clock is Alabama's worst enemy right now? Then when they have moved down, well within FG range, they decide to blitz, played right into the screen play, and the rest is history.

IMO, this is on Les Miles. But I'm not a Les Miles fan. ;)

19braves77
11-04-2012, 01:24 PM
I never seen Saban like that in the post game interview:

1. He looked proud
2. He looked emotional
3. He looked relieved.

That game is why College Football is the best TV show right now. It had a little bit of everything.

VottoFan54
11-04-2012, 02:52 PM
I never seen Saban like that in the post game interview:

1. He looked proud
2. He looked emotional
3. He looked relieved.

That game is why College Football is the best TV show right now. It had a little bit of everything.

I thought Saban was outcoached last night. They abandoned the run too easily and they didn't make many adjustments at half time.

Bama played their worst game all year. McCarron wasn't very good and they had 2 fluke fumbles. LSU caught quite a few breaks, but Bama pulled out the win. LSU played a great game.

19braves77
11-04-2012, 03:49 PM
I thought Saban was outcoached last night. They abandoned the run too easily and they didn't make many adjustments at half time.

Bama played their worst game all year. McCarron wasn't very good and they had 2 fluke fumbles. LSU caught quite a few breaks, but Bama pulled out the win. LSU played a great game.

Didn't help that Mettenburger turned into Tom Brady. Teams that give Alabama problems are teams with a hot QB. LSU was also spliting a TE out wide and putting a WR in the slot. Safeties were covering WR's in zone.

I think the Texas AM game is going to be rough next week.

I want a Oregon vs Alabama NC Game.

jojo
11-04-2012, 04:41 PM

That game would have lot of storylines with the biggest being old school vs new school.

The A&M game is a dangerous one but it's in Tuscaloosa.

VottoFan54
11-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Didn't help that Mettenburger turned into Tom Brady. Teams that give Alabama problems are teams with a hot QB. LSU was also spliting a TE out wide and putting a WR in the slot. Safeties were covering WR's in zone.

I think the Texas AM game is going to be rough next week.

The A&M game shouldn't be too close, IMO. Bama should come out very sharp and focused after that LSU scare. Mettenberger played very well, he reminded me of Stephen Garcia's game against Alabama in 2010.

IMO, Alabama blitzed too much on defense. They should've dropped 7 or 8 into coverage once LSU started keeping 7+ guys into block on pass plays.

The defense would've been stronger if they weren't on the field all game. The offense has to play better than that if Bama is going to go undefeated. Should've ran the ball more IMO.

jojo
11-04-2012, 07:38 PM
If you had joker in the pool, you win, he was fired today.

dabvu2498
11-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Shawn Watson to Auburn?

jojo
11-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Shawn Watson to Auburn?

There is no chance whatsoever.

Gogue is pretty much telling people, "The process is underway and some important decisions have already been made. We're handling it, I'm the man not some mythical, shadow group. This will be over very soon. Now get out of my business."

joshnky
11-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Shawn Watson to Auburn?

For real? Louisville's offensive success has more to do with a terrific QB than the coordinator. Watson has done a great job bringing Bridgewater along but the pro style system he runs is hardly innovative.

WDE
11-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Wow. So much for Alabama being dominant.

Boston Red
11-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Shawn Watson to Auburn?

Go for it Auburn!

jojo
11-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Wow. So much for Alabama being dominant.

More and more it's looking like running Malzahn and his O scheme out of town will be the ultimate downfall for Chizik.

The Proset seems to be buried under a tsunami.

Alabama is three possessions down from one of the most prolific offenses in the country. It'll be an uphill climb to pull off a come back.

WMR
11-10-2012, 04:52 PM
I almost think Derek Dooley wants to get fired...

Stray
11-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Wow A&M goes to Tuscaloosa and takes em down. That's impressive.

Also, Manziel doesn't seem to be struggling with those SEC defenses.

Bama needs some teams to lose.

Revering4Blue
11-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Lee Corso looks like a genius for picking A & M to win this game.

KronoRed
11-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Nice, mr 'perfect fundamentals' team commits a stupid penalty to kill their last shot.

19braves77
11-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I think eventually Saban will recruit smaller DE's that are a little faster to keep these dual threat qbs contained. DE's basically did nothing tonight. Welcome to the new SEC.

Dual threat Qb's that have beaten Saban coach Alabama teams: Tebow,Newton,Garcia,and the Utah kid. What all did they have in common: Making Saban account for them on the field.

dabvu2498
11-10-2012, 11:31 PM
No Vanderbilt football player has ever played in 2 bowl games. Ever.

My prediction: that will be untrue by the time this year's freshmen graduate. And I'm a pessimist. God, how I love watching them win conference games, I don't care who it's against.

Yep. I was a little short-sighted in my prediction.

I'll take it though.

VottoFan54
11-11-2012, 10:57 AM
The A&M game shouldn't be too close, IMO. Bama should come out very sharp and focused after that LSU scare.

^This guy is clueless when it comes to college football. I underated Johnny Manziel. I thought he was just like Denard Robinson, but he is clearly a much better passer. Saban's teams tend to struggle with dual-threat quarterbacks and it showed on Saturday.

19braves77
11-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Two of the following things need to happen for Bama:

Notre Dame loses to USC

Oregon loses to USC in the Pac 12 Championship

Kansas St gets manhandled by Texas

then Alabama kills Georgia.

However, a Notre Dame vs Alabama Sugar Bowl would be fun.

dougdirt
11-11-2012, 11:06 PM

Yeah, for SEC and Alabama fans. I would rather not watch a 35 point blowout.

Give me a combo of Alabama, Kansas State and Oregon and I will be good to go.

jojo
11-12-2012, 03:50 AM
I think KSU vs Oregon would be good for America.

Sea Ray
11-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I almost think Derek Dooley wants to get fired...

He's making the decision very easy

Sea Ray
11-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Two of the following things need to happen for Bama:

Notre Dame loses to USC

Oregon loses to USC in the Pac 12 Championship

Kansas St gets manhandled by Texas

then Alabama kills Georgia.

A Stanford upset of Oregon this weekend is as possible as an A & M upset of Bama last weekend

19braves77
11-12-2012, 08:58 PM
The loss to Texas AM exposed a couple of things about Alabama. They don't have the speed nor the depth everyone thought they had on defense. Plus, Alabama sucks playing man to man defense. LSU or Kansas State's defense would probably give Oregon a better game then Alabama right now.

Saban might have to reinvent himself and I know that's anathema to him.

AintlifeGrande
11-12-2012, 09:27 PM
No it's not that they don't have the speed or depth, key injuries early on.Losing the fastest guy on the team Dee Hart to a knee injury,our bruising FB Jalston Fowler,a green secondary for the most part,a lot of inexperience in general.I figured the stars would have to align right for Bama to run the table again this season.The Tide had 29 running plays,36 passing versus A&M.That aint Alabama football.
The new offensive coordinator from the West Coast looked great against cupcake teams this year,but you earn your paychecks playing in the big games,and he failed miserably.Of course beating the crap out of each other physically,and emotionally in Death Valley last Saturday did not help either.The Aggies took Bama to the woodshed,and I feared they would.
This high flying Aggie attack will last several years,until defense's catch on to it.Much like Urban Meyer's spread attack did at Florida till finally other teams found a way to stop it.

19braves77
11-12-2012, 09:59 PM
I find it crazy that Oregon runs 80% of its plays out of this formation.

http://www.footballtimes.org/AdvHTML_Upload/Spread%20triple%20option%20read.jpg

One can dream that we have a fast QB at Alabama before I die.

VottoFan54
11-13-2012, 12:26 AM
IMO, Saban's defenses run in two year cycles.

In 2009, Alabama had a very talented defense and won a National Championship with a 14-0 record.

In 2010, Alabama lost McClain, Cody, Arenas, K. Jackson, M. Johnson, and other players. Kirkpatrick, J. Chapman, Upshaw, Barron, and others got valuable experience; but we were a very young team and that cost us, we went 10-3.

In 2011, Kirkpatrick, Chapman, Upshaw, and Barron were all elite players after getting experience in 2010. Alabama won a National Championship and went 12-1.

In 2012, Alabama has a young defense and it cost them a game (almost two), but they will only lose 4 starters (Nico Johnson, Lester, Square, and Williams).

In 2013, returning 7 starters, I would expect Alabama to have a defense that is similar to 2009/2011.

I am not saying that Alabama will win a title every two years, but I believe that Saban will have one of the top three defenses in the country every two years. BTW, we will only lose 4 or 5 offensive starters for 2013, so we should compete for another National Championship.

IslandRed
11-13-2012, 10:36 AM
This high flying Aggie attack will last several years, until defense's catch on to it. Much like Urban Meyer's spread attack did at Florida till finally other teams found a way to stop it.

To borrow an old line, sometimes it's not the Xs and Os, it's the Jimmies and Joes. The main thing defenses did to stop Meyer's offense at Florida was wait until Tebow graduated. I do like A&M's offense but they're not reinventing the sport either, and a lot of their edge right now is Manziel making stuff happen off the script.

Sea Ray
11-13-2012, 10:37 AM
The loss to Texas AM exposed a couple of things about Alabama. They don't have the speed nor the depth everyone thought they had on defense. Plus, Alabama sucks playing man to man defense. LSU or Kansas State's defense would probably give Oregon a better game then Alabama right now.

Saban might have to reinvent himself and I know that's anathema to him.

Just because he doesn't win a NC every year hardly means that he has to reinvent himself. Frankly he's followed up his championship season much better than most programs of recent memory.

AintlifeGrande
11-14-2012, 08:59 PM
The thing I love about Saban is the continuity he bring's to a program.He works his tail off on the recruiting trail,and it show's.No,we may not win the championship every year,but he has built a program that will compete for it for year's to come.

19braves77
11-17-2012, 03:52 AM
Worst week of college football imo.

Hoping Baylor kills Kansas State or Wake Forest wins that one game a year they have no business winning against Notre Dame.

Auburn 11 Alabama State 3

I give Auburn a safety and a TD

19braves77
11-18-2012, 11:23 AM
I can't even poke fun at the Ducks. That was a great game.

It would very sad if we lost too Auburn now.

jojo
11-18-2012, 01:07 PM
I can't even poke fun at the Ducks. That was a great game.

It would very sad if we lost too Auburn now.

Auburn would have to become something it has not been this season for that to happen.

You can't go from lack of desire/undisciplined/easy route to passionate by flipping on a switch. It requires a cultural enema and time for habitualization.

Auburn would've been an underdog in Tuscaloosa this year regardless. Given the fractured culture in the Tiger practice facility, I'd say the Civil War is more likely to influence the National Championship than the Iron Bowl. Alabama's problems reside with Georgia.

dabvu2498
11-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Dooley out at UT. The courtship of John Gruden is well under way, I'm sure.

jojo
11-18-2012, 01:15 PM
On another note, Dooley is the second SEC coach to get fired. It's likely that three of the 5 SEC coaches to lose to Vandy will get fired. Missouri gets a mulligan for obvious reasons and Ole Miss was so far down that game is never counted as a should be win.

Losing to Vandy is a bellwether.

New York Red
11-18-2012, 01:26 PM
On another note, Dooley is the second SEC coach to get fired. It's likely that three of the 5 SEC coaches to lose to Vandy will get fired. Missouri gets a mulligan for obvious reasons and Ole Miss was so far down that game is never counted as a should be win.

Losing to Vandy is a bellwether.
Vandy isn't the same Vandy they use to be.

jojo
11-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Vandy isn't the same Vandy they use to be.

They still are not good. Tennessee has no business losing to them especially like last night. There is no excuse.

dabvu2498
11-18-2012, 03:51 PM
They still are not good. Tennessee has no business losing to them especially like last night. There is no excuse.

No SEC team should ever lose to Vanderbilt...

Except...

That was true at Vanderbilt for generations, a football program found more ways to lose football games than seemed humanly possible. It was southern gothic brought to the gridiron, so painful it hurt for Commodore fans to watch. Every Vanderbilt football game was a choose your own adventure book that ended in dreadful defeat, death or dismemberment.

Sometimes all three.

Vanderbilt's football past was inescapable, bleak, and dark.

It was not a place anyone ever wanted to go.

But then James Franklin arrived at Vanderbilt.

And James Franklin did something interesting and cocky as hell, he didn't give a damn about the past.

What's more he flat out didn't care about the past at Vanderbilt and he said so in public. In fact, he refused to talk about Vandy's past at all. Ask Franklin about anything that happened before his arrival in Nashville and he immediately brushed it off, "That was before I was here," he'd say, "I can't control any of that."

Which is the exact same mantra espoused by one of the most underrated athletic directors in the country, Vanderbilt's David Williams, who when asked about past futility that he wasn't in charge of, shrugged his shoulders and said, simply, "What am I supposed to do about that?"

It's a simple mantra, but an effective one.

Control what you can control.

So for nearly two years Franklin's said the same thing in response to any question about the past, giving William Faulkner's Southern ghost a stiff arm, tossing the old demons of Vanderbilt's past into the dustbins of history, he said the past flat out didn't matter.

And on Saturday he was right, the past didn't matter at all.

Vanderbilt dominated the Vols.

But more impressive than that, Vanderbilt expected to dominate the Vols.

http://outkickthecoverage.com/vandy-demolishes-tennessee-.php

dabvu2498
11-18-2012, 03:55 PM
I especially liked this move:

http://outkickthecoverage.com/tyfoon/site/fckeditor/image/bray%20mckayla.jpg

dabvu2498
11-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Also, the Les Miles post game presser yesterday was awesome (as usual). I won't link it here due to some language, but it's great. Love that guy.

19braves77
11-18-2012, 04:19 PM
I think Dooley will be hired by Saban but not at the cost of firing someone already on his staff. maybe if somebody goes to the NFL or gets offered a HCing job elsewhere. There is a huge difference in being an assistant coach and a head coach. As an assistant, it is easy to believe you have all the answers,, but the game is completely different when you are on top and having to make the tough calls. Dooley was not ready for taking on this position. He's going to have to pay his dues somewhere like Bowling Green or Utah State.

Right now I bet the Pac 12, ACC, and the Big 12 wish they wouldn't have fought a playoff system.

AintlifeGrande
11-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Hugh Freeze has squeezed everything out of what little talent he was given.Ole Miss has played the SEC elite tough this year.Took it LSU last Sat.night,but came out on the losing end of what was a very winnable game.He get's him some defense next year,and will most likely win the hands down #1 overal pick in the country in Defensive End Robert Kimdichi,who's brother is a Rebel.
They will be dangerous.

19braves77
11-22-2012, 12:10 AM
Kirby Smart turned to HC job at Kentucky.

Alabama 45 Auburn 3

FSU 31 Florida 20

USC 38 Notre Dame 35

Oregon 41 Oregon State 28

KronoRed
11-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Does he order his OC to run repeatedly into 8 man fronts to prove his team is tough? :help:

Florida is going to be putrid this year, I'm thinking their only SEC win will be Kentucky, and I'm not even sure about that, they have talent but I think most of the team has already tuned the coach out, sure hope I'm wrong.

Well this guy doesn't know anything.

;)

Nice to see the awesome ACC shown for what it is.

jojo
11-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Chizik has officially been let go by Auburn. The search committee for his replacement includes Bo Jackson, Pat Sullivan, Mac Crawford, and the AD jay Jacobs. My guess is that Auburn will have a new hire by D-Day and it will be a newsworthy name.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112512aac.html

19braves77
11-25-2012, 04:42 PM
I liked Chizik. Already rumors floating that UCF or Southern Mississippi would be interested in him.

Auburn is probably going to steal a coach away from a successful school like Chris Peterson at Boise or even Frankilin at Vandy.

Hearing Tennessee is interested in Oregon State's Mike Riley. He turned down the Alabama job after Fran left.

jojo
11-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Hearing Tennessee is interested in Oregon State's Mike Riley. He turned down the Alabama job after Fran left.

That would be a surprising hire because Riley is a Corvallis guy-he was a football hero at Corvallis High and spent his formative years basically on the campus of OSU, so it's home (same with his wife) and his dream job. Plus given his ties to community and being a legacy due to his dad being a Beaver coach for so long, he basically has unending job security there (he's signed thru something like 2020). If he didn't take the Bama job despite his family ties and history as a player in Tuscaloosa because of family obligations, I doubt he'd uproot from a place the Riley's call their hometown to coach the Vols.

I've been surprised before though.

19braves77
11-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Briles would be a fool not get out of Baylor while his name is hot and cash in, whether that's Arkansas, Tennessee, Auburn, or Kentucky. He would be able to bring Texas recruits with him.

jojo
11-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Bill O'Brien and Butch Jones are probably two "get out of dodge" fast candidates too...

Boston Red
11-25-2012, 08:18 PM
I don't see why Jones would be in that category. There's no reason he can't keep winning at UC and wait for the right opportunity to come along. It's more obvous to me why Briles and O'Brien would want to leave now (though O'Brien basically has a four-year hallpass after this year and given the sanctions).

jojo
11-25-2012, 08:26 PM
I don't see why Jones would be in that category. There's no reason he can't keep winning at UC and wait for the right opportunity to come along. It's more obvous to me why Briles and O'Brien would want to leave now (though O'Brien basically has a four-year hallpass after this year and given the sanctions).

Right now there are a bunch of desirable jobs open or opening. I'd be worried about the big east as a football conference. Who knows what will be open if he waited until he had to jump ship.

Boston Red
11-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Well, maybe they're desireable to him, and maybe they're not. Who knows? Kentucky is not desireable. Arkansas may be undesireable to some people. Auburn is generally an excellent job, but who knows what that's going to look like if the NCAA really is moving in. And it sounds like the whole athletic department down there is a mess. Could be a bad situation. Tennessee is generally desireable, and the expectations might even be manageable there for now given how bad they've been. I'm not sure Purdue is a particularly good job. NC State might be a good job, but your potential boss (Debbie Yow) is apparently an idiot.

So maybe Jones is interested in one of those jobs, and maybe he's not. In the meantime, if he's a good coach, he'll keep winning until something he wants is available. It's not like Briles who might lose a bunch of games at Baylor even if he's doing a good job just because the competition is so severe.

paintmered
11-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Jones turned down jobs with better situations after last season than UK and Purdue. If he goes, I'd expect it to be for something higher profile.

By the way, my Purdue colleagues were convinced they were getting Brian Kelly three years ago. Kelly had already turned down UCLA and Tennessee by that point, and he's going to go to Purdue? Really?

19braves77
11-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Current Coaching Job Vacancies:

Auburn
Out: Gene Chizik
In:

Arkansas
Out: John L. Smith
In:

California
Out: Jeff Tedford
In:

Colorado
Out: John Embree
In:

Boston College
Out: Frank Spaziani
In:

Tennessee
Out: Derek Dooley
In:

Idaho
Out: Robb Akey
In:

Kentucky
Out: Joker Phillips
In:

NC State
Out: Tom O'Brien
In:

Purdue
Out: Danny Hope
In:

UTEP
Out: Mike Price
In:

Western Michigan
Out: Bill Cubit
In:

Southern Mississippi might be added to this list. I wonder how happy Paul Johnson is at Georgia Tech. He would be a good fit for Tennessee or Auburn.

jojo
11-26-2012, 12:52 PM

Auburn
Out: Gene Chizik
In:

Arkansas
Out: John L. Smith
In:

California
Out: Jeff Tedford
In:

Colorado
Out: John Embree
In:

Boston College
Out: Frank Spaziani
In:

Tennessee
Out: Derek Dooley
In:

Idaho
Out: Robb Akey
In:

Kentucky
Out: Joker Phillips
In:

NC State
Out: Tom O'Brien
In:

Purdue
Out: Danny Hope
In:

UTEP
Out: Mike Price
In:

Western Michigan
Out: Bill Cubit
In:

Southern Mississippi might be added to this list. I wonder how happy Paul Johnson is at Georgia Tech. He would be a good fit for Tennessee or Auburn.

Rumor has it that Gary Pinkel will be out at Mizzou today as well.

kaldaniels
11-26-2012, 01:08 PM
As a CFB fan I'd love to see Colorado make the right hire. It's sad how far that program has fallen.

Sea Ray
11-26-2012, 01:23 PM

That's a nice list. But let's add some spice to the discussion. Which is the best job? I'd say Tennessee but Auburn would be a close 2nd, followed by Arkansas

BuckeyeRed27
11-26-2012, 02:59 PM
That's a nice list. But let's add some spice to the discussion. Which is the best job? I'd say Tennessee but Auburn would be a close 2nd, followed by Arkansas

Tennessee should be the best job on that list, just based on facilities and not having be Nick Saban's biggest rival.

I actually think the best job on that list might be Cal. They just did some major upgrades to their factilities and still get to recruit in California. They don't have the best fan base for sure, but it isn't awful.

jojo
11-26-2012, 03:14 PM
I think Auburn is the best on the list because it has great facilities with more being built, almost unlimited resources, sits in the heart of one of the best recruiting regions in the country, and has a fanbase that is zealous in their passion for the program. It can be done here and there is no doubt that a good coach can achieve at Auburn. This is off of the top of my head but I think one would have to go all the way back to Barfield to find an Auburn coach that didn't win the SEC. The media loves Saban and the Bama narrative but Auburn has out competed Bama in the modern era (i.e. since the Bear died).

bucksfan2
11-26-2012, 03:47 PM
I would be very wary of taking the Auburn job. The NCAA is apparently launching an investigation into Auburn. I may be wrong but I think the fallout from Chizik may cause a lot of potential coaches to be hesitant. Competing against Saben in Alabama would be a huge hurdle to overcome as well.

I think Arkansas and then Tennessee would by my #1 and #2.

jojo
11-26-2012, 05:23 PM
I would be very wary of taking the Auburn job. The NCAA is apparently launching an investigation into Auburn. I may be wrong but I think the fallout from Chizik may cause a lot of potential coaches to be hesitant. Competing against Saben in Alabama would be a huge hurdle to overcome as well.

I think Arkansas and then Tennessee would by my #1 and #2.

The NCAA is NOT launching an investigation into Auburn. Last week was old news recycled by lazy sportswriters during Iron Bowl week and if you're into conspiracies, it may have been floated by an Auburn contingent to make Chizik look bad during "decision" week. The NCAA is looking into Memphis recruiting because of the Jovon Robinson transcript situation but it is not focusing upon Auburn. It has visited several campuses regarding this issue and Auburn is an obvious one to visit. Trooper and Luper had been taken off of the recruiting circuit until Dec 1 as part of a self-imposed penalty for a self-reported secondary violation completely unrelated to anything in Memphis.

There is zero concern within the Auburn athletic department. There is no investigation of Auburn's football program.

Haggle over Tennesee or Auburn but Arksansas is an obvious distant option from a desireability standpoint. Resources, recruiting, tradition, etc wise, Arkansas has largely been a second tier SEC program traditionally.

KronoRed
11-26-2012, 06:04 PM

If he bails out now he is a genius, Mizzo is going to be Kentucky2 in the east.

19braves77
11-26-2012, 06:27 PM
If he bails out now he is a genius, Mizzo is going to be Kentucky2 in the east.

Mizzo AD and boosters think they have to go to a power running game in order to compete in the SEC. Some Arkansas boosters think this is needed in Fayette ville.

Missouri probably would have been better off waiting a year for the Big 10.

jmac
11-26-2012, 07:36 PM
I was telling a friend at work today that I cant ever remember a team being ranked # 3 in the country , Georgia, and yet given basically no shot at beating the number 2 Bama. Which I dont think it will be very close either.
Which someone was stating the other day how the SEC scheduled better and some of these teams lost early and moved up whereas Oregon and KSU lost late and slipped.

VottoFan54
11-26-2012, 07:45 PM
I was telling a friend at work today that I cant ever remember a team being ranked # 3 in the country , Georgia, and yet given basically no shot at beating the number 2 Bama. Which I dont think it will be very close either.
Which someone was stating the other day how the SEC scheduled better and some of these teams lost early and moved up whereas Oregon and KSU lost late and slipped.

As an Alabama fan, I am very worried about Georgia. IMO, this game is a toss up with maybe a slight advantage to Georgia. If Bama doesn't figure out its secondary and pass rush, Murray will throw for 300+.

19braves77
11-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Alabama needs a package that can stay out on the field on defense when teams go to a hurry up. LSU and Florida do it.

Revering4Blue
11-26-2012, 09:34 PM
As a CFB fan I'd love to see Colorado make the right hire. It's sad how far that program has fallen.

But who is going to want to walk into a situation where the outgoing Head Coach--who arguably shouldn't have been hired in the first place--was only given two years to turn around the colossal mess that Dan Hawkins, considered a "can't miss" hire at the time, left behind?

Colorado and Kentucky have both proven without a shadow of a doubt that Pro-Style offenses rarely, if ever, work at outmanned BCS schools anymore.

Were I Colorado U, I'd target Air Force's Troy Calhoun, though I'm not sure he'd be interested in the Buff job.

Revering4Blue
11-26-2012, 09:39 PM

Pinkel's not going anywhere.http://twitter.com/fbrumormill

Sea Ray
11-27-2012, 09:06 AM

I don't see Bama rolling and the 7 pt spread tells me most others don't either

bucksfan2
11-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Who has Georgia beaten? Florida. They have played two ranked teams all year long, got spanked by one (SC) and beat the other.

I defiantly think they benefited from a generous schedule. IMO no team should go through an entire season without playing at least one of LSU and Alabama and vice versa playing at least one of Georgia and Florida.

Sea Ray
11-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Who has Georgia beaten? Florida. They have played two ranked teams all year long, got spanked by one (SC) and beat the other.

I defiantly think they benefited from a generous schedule. IMO no team should go through an entire season without playing at least one of LSU and Alabama and vice versa playing at least one of Georgia and Florida.

They won't. That's why they have a championship game. If you're correct, they'll be exposed before Bowl bids go out

19braves77
11-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Crazy to think that the Orange Bowl could be:

Kent State vs Georgia Tech

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/21143017/worst-bcs-bowl-ever-kent-state-georgia-tech-50-million-orange-bowl-fiasco

bucksfan2
11-27-2012, 03:00 PM
The NCAA is NOT launching an investigation into Auburn. Last week was old news recycled by lazy sportswriters during Iron Bowl week and if you're into conspiracies, it may have been floated by an Auburn contingent to make Chizik look bad during "decision" week. The NCAA is looking into Memphis recruiting because of the Jovon Robinson transcript situation but it is not focusing upon Auburn. It has visited several campuses regarding this issue and Auburn is an obvious one to visit. Trooper and Luper had been taken off of the recruiting circuit until Dec 1 as part of a self-imposed penalty for a self-reported secondary violation completely unrelated to anything in Memphis.

There is zero concern within the Auburn athletic department. There is no investigation of Auburn's football program.

Haggle over Tennesee or Auburn but Arksansas is an obvious distant option from a desireability standpoint. Resources, recruiting, tradition, etc wise, Arkansas has largely been a second tier SEC program traditionally.

According to Pat Forde there is an ongoing investigation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--forde-yard-dash--breaking-down-college-football-s-major-coaching-openings-074908952.html

He ranks his top 4 as Tennessee, Arkansas, NC State then Auburn.

Boston Red
11-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Crazy to think that the Orange Bowl could be:

Kent State vs Georgia Tech

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/21143017/worst-bcs-bowl-ever-kent-state-georgia-tech-50-million-orange-bowl-fiasco

The poor Orange Bowl has really been screwed by its affiliation with the ACC.

Slyder
11-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Mizzo AD and boosters think they have to go to a power running game in order to compete in the SEC. Some Arkansas boosters think this is needed in Fayette ville.

Missouri probably would have been better off waiting a year for the Big 10.

Theres no guarentee that the Big 10 would have come calling. I think what Big 10 is doing is trying to entice ND with a bunch of Eastern teams and saw the ACC as a threat there. Hence Maryland, Virginia, and UNC rumors.

Missouri got passed by on 2 occasions no guarentee the third time would have been any different.

When does the SEC rectify the Missouri being in the east and goes to 16?

19braves77
11-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Theres no guarentee that the Big 10 would have come calling. I think what Big 10 is doing is trying to entice ND with a bunch of Eastern teams and saw the ACC as a threat there. Hence Maryland, Virginia, and UNC rumors.

Missouri got passed by on 2 occasions no guarentee the third time would have been any different.

When does the SEC rectify the Missouri being in the east and goes to 16?

I wouldn't mind Auburn and Missouri changing divisions and playing each other every 4 years.

Missouri would look better in the Big 10. USF would have been a better choice for the SEC. Tampa market would have been nice.

jojo
11-27-2012, 03:39 PM
According to Pat Forde there is an ongoing investigation.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--forde-yard-dash--breaking-down-college-football-s-major-coaching-openings-074908952.html

He ranks his top 4 as Tennessee, Arkansas, NC State then Auburn.

Pat Forde is wrong about an ongoing investigation targeting Auburn. He's also out of touch concerning his impression of "heavy handed" boosters.

Pat Forde is definately not someone who could claim to have inside sources into things Auburny...

Sea Ray
11-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Pat Forde is wrong about an ongoing investigation targeting Auburn. He's also out of touch concerning his impression of "heavy handed" boosters.

Pat Forde is definately not someone who could claim to have inside sources into things Auburny...

If he's wrong then why hasn't Auburn set the record straight?

Auburn officials declined comment Wednesday.

Seems as though they're not as definitive as you are regarding this issue

jojo
11-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Looks like Kentucky is getting Mark Stoops.....if so, pretty good move for them.

jojo
11-27-2012, 03:47 PM
If he's wrong then why hasn't Auburn set the record straight?

Seems as though they're not as definitive as you are regarding this issue

Give it up. You know darn well Auburn isn't going to comment publically.

Sea Ray
11-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Give it up. You know darn well Auburn isn't going to comment publically.

I honestly don't know if the NCAA is doing an investigation. Maybe you have sources so that you know that they aren't but Auburn's response seems to indicate that the ooposite is true.

jojo
11-27-2012, 03:52 PM
I honestly don't know if the NCAA is doing an investigation. Maybe you have sources so that you know that they aren't but Auburn's response seems to indicate that the ooposite is true.

You can't read what you're trying to read from the fact that Auburn has not formally commented on musings by some sportswriters.

bucksfan2
11-27-2012, 04:03 PM

Pat Forde is one of the best and most prominent writers in college football. His opinion vastly trumps yours JoJo.

jojo
11-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Pat Forde is one of the best and most prominent writers in college football. His opinion vastly trumps yours JoJo.

Actually no it doesn't because he is wrong.

bucksfan2
11-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Actually no it doesn't because he is wrong.

Let me get this straight. Two nationally respected college football news sites post stories that the NCAA is looking into Auburn (cbssports and yahoo sport). Auburn fans says they are wrong. Auburn fan is right? It reminds me of the time when ProFootballTalk was trying to get a start and made a living off of breaking Bengals stories. Us Bengals fans thought it was all wrong, turns out PFT was right.

jojo
11-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Let me get this straight. Two nationally respected college football news sites post stories that the NCAA is looking into Auburn (cbssports and yahoo sport). Auburn fans says they are wrong. Auburn fan is right? It reminds me of the time when ProFootballTalk was trying to get a start and made a living off of breaking Bengals stories. Us Bengals fans thought it was all wrong, turns out PFT was right.

Let me set you straight. Two "national stories" stated that the NCAA was looking into recruitment of players in Memphis and as part of the process interviewed people within the Auburn Athletic department and Forde alluded to some type of escalation. What Forde failed to mention was that concerning Memphis, A) this is old news, B) the NCAA actually focused upon MSU, and C) there is no real tell in the NCAA questioning Auburn officials given that they signed Jovon Robinson,a guy whose transcripts were altered, D) there is absolutely no reason to believe that Auburn recruiters were behind Robinson's transcripts being altered, and finally, E) Taylor and Luper (the "other" stuff) had been taken off of the recruiting road as part of a self-imposed penalty because of a completely unrelated secondary violation that Auburn self-reported.

Forde basically took some salacious stuff and wrapped it into an Auburn bow during Iron Bowl week. Other really important details Forde seems to miss is that Gogue essentially gave the middle finger to "boosters" with the way he has conducted himself during the HC decision and now search (so much for those heavy handed boosters) and it is crystal clear who is in charge and has influence, there has not been any hint of a LOI regarding Memphis, and oh by the way Luper and Taylor are cleared to go back on the road and continue their off campus recruitings efforts, the Auburn Athletic department certainly isn't losing sleep over Fordesque "reporting" (again Trooper and Luper wouldn't be hitting the road if the NCAA was hitting overdrive) and the Auburn compliance office has an outstanding track record (see Cam and see how accurate the Fordes of the world have been regardng the Plains burning down).

In other words, Forde has no real insight into Auburn football or at least if he did, he certainly chose to keep it well hidden in his latest expose.

Sorry, Auburn guy is right.

Sea Ray
11-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Jojo if what you say is correct then Auburn is being foolish by not stating that they're not under investigation. For them to let this fester wih no comments, they risk letting this adversely affect the coaching search and recruiting

jojo
11-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Jojo if what you say is correct then Auburn is being foolish by not stating that they're not under investigation. For them to let this fester wih no comments, they risk letting this adversely affect the coaching search and recruiting

What fans write on the Internet isnt going to affect their coach search or recruiting. There are actual personal relationships involved in those endeavors.

On the other hand it would by foolish to issue public statements about NCAA compliance issues.

19braves77
11-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Add Southern Mississippi to the list. Southern Mississippi should never fired
Jeff Bower.

Got to think somewhere that the Bowden brothers can get back into the Division I coaching game.

Boston Red
11-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Add Southern Mississippi to the list. Southern Mississippi should never fired
Jeff Bower.

They made a nice comeback under Fedora before who knows what happened this year.

19braves77
11-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Its funny to read the Razorbacks forums and the absurd postings that they think 27.5 million will get Les Miles out of LSU. Les just wants job security at LSU by increasing his buyout.

Sea Ray
11-28-2012, 10:42 AM
What fans write on the Internet isnt going to affect their coach search or recruiting. There are actual personal relationships involved in those endeavors.

On the other hand it would by foolish to issue public statements about NCAA compliance issues.

You and I are fans on the internet. Pat Forde and Yahoo! sports are something else entirely. As to your 2nd point it'd only be foolish if there is something to the allegations

jojo
11-28-2012, 11:14 AM
You and I are fans on the internet. Pat Forde and Yahoo! sports are something else entirely. As to your 2nd point it'd only be foolish if there is something to the allegations

Pat Forde couldn't bother himself with the actual details which when considered reveal his effort as fluff.

As to the second point, you're wrong. It would be foolish regardless.

19braves77
11-28-2012, 04:22 PM
And Les will get a raise after their bowl game this year.

jojo
11-28-2012, 05:07 PM
And Les will get a raise after their bowl game this year.

No doubt. LSU fans would want to fire their AD if he let MIles get away to Arkansas. But if it ever comes to it, LSU fans will want to fire their AD because he was incompetent enough to pay Miles so much.... Fanbases have a short term memory.

WMR
11-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Miles used Arky like a cheap hooker to get a pay raise. JMHO.

KronoRed
11-29-2012, 01:04 AM

The Bob Stoops method.

jojo
11-29-2012, 05:51 AM

Wild hi jinks would've ensued if LSU would've called his bluff....

bucksfan2
11-29-2012, 08:56 AM
As a football coach I think Miles is pretty poor. As a recruiter I think he is top notch. I think LSU could do better, but could do much worse.

IslandRed
11-29-2012, 08:57 AM
The Bob Stoops method.

Or the "anyone whose agent is Jimmy Sexton" method.

19braves77
12-01-2012, 06:46 AM
I am praying Alabama doesn't implode on defense in the first quarter today.

jojo
12-01-2012, 07:12 PM
The Dawg-Bama game has a little bit of something for everyone....pretty good play in game for the national championship.

Stray
12-01-2012, 07:57 PM
That was an awesome game, brutal way to lose for Georgia tho. Wow.

19braves77
12-01-2012, 08:04 PM
You don't spike the ball there if your Georgia because Alabama takes all those LBs out for CBs. Georgia has a LB on RB and a TE. The RB should have just dropped the ball.

jojo
12-01-2012, 08:07 PM
You don't spike the ball there if your Georgia because Alabama takes all those LBs out for CBs. Georgia has a LB on RB and a TE. The RB should have just dropped the ball.

The fade route was a good strategy. Make it and TD. Miss it and you still get your second shot at the end zone.

Bama just made a play.

19braves77
12-01-2012, 08:17 PM
SO much story going into the NC game for Alabama:

Saban returns to Miami

ALabama vs Notre Dame.

Saban has defeated every team in the last 40 years within a six year period that has given Alabama problems: Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Texas, and Michigan. With a win, you could add Notre Dame.

VottoFan54
12-01-2012, 08:37 PM
That game was amazing, our offensive line is awesome, but we don't have a typical Saban defense. McCarron played horrible for most of the game, but he was pretty clutch on that last throw.

I'm about 85% sure that Alabama will beat Notre Dame. Saban is amazing when he has this much time to prepare. I was very worried about UGA, but I think ND should be a much easier game.

Mattbo4
12-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Alabama vs Notre Dame!!! Go Bama!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

WMR
12-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Cannot wait to see Bama crush ND.

Slyder
12-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Alabama vs Notre Dame!!! Go Bama!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz boring. Won't watch the national title game this year either.

AintlifeGrande
12-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Roll Tide baby!
Bama runs,Bama wins.Glad the offensive coordinator learned that the second half.

kaldaniels
12-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Bama went from -8.5 to -8 this morning so I jumped on it. I can't see the line getting down to -7 which would be ideal.

19braves77
12-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Skip Holtz has been fired as South Florida's football coach following the worst season in the program's 16-year history. Didn't help him that Florida rebounded quickly and Jimbo Fisher atleast recruits 3 star players unlike Bowden.

Wouldn't be shocked if Tennessee looked at him.

I dont see how Pelini keeps his job. The Spread pretty much ruined Nebraska by forcing the Huskers to recruit skill players on offense and he might need a refresher course in SEC football to stay a Division I coach. When you refuse to be physical in the game you cant really distance yourself from the competition. Except for Texas AM, what offense do the majority of top 10 teams run? Some version of the pro-set / I-formation. The spread pretty much neuters your defense.

Revering4Blue
12-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Except for Texas AM, what offense do the majority of top 10 teams run? Some version of the pro-set / I-formation.

Every team in the top 10 utilizes elements of the spread. Oregon, Ohio State and Notre Dame utilize the spread almost exclusively.

The spread pretty much neuters your defense

Really? Notre Dame says:wave:

I dont see how Pelini keeps his job. The Spread pretty much ruined Nebraska by forcing the Huskers to recruit skill players on offense and he might need a refresher course in SEC football to stay a Division I coach.

Pelini may well not be the answer, but the Bill Callahan disaster seems proof positive that a Pro-Set is not the answer for the Cornhuskers.

kaldaniels
12-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Pelini is doing just fine so far. The days of putting 5 cornfed Nebraska boys on the O-Line and running it right at them are over.

I'm not saying Pelini deserves a gold medal for the job he has done so far, but it is a pretty outrageous take to have him on the hot seat.

19braves77
12-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Joker Phillips hired by Florida to recruit and coach WRs

Looks like Auburn wants Kirby Smart which IMO if he is hired makes sure Smart never gets the Alabama job.i am hoping its just an interview.

Petrino to Idaho...Paul Petrino. One last chance to save his career.

Colorado to interview Cincinnati head coach Butch Jones today. Jones also interviewed at Purdue.

Revering4Blue
12-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Sources: Arkansas hires Bret Bielema as new football coach

If true, who saw this coming?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--sources--arkansas-to-hire-bret-bielema-195732340.html

dabvu2498
12-04-2012, 03:20 PM
John Daly can step away from the ledge now.

dabvu2498
12-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Bret Bielema last winter: "We at the Big Ten don’t want to be like the SEC—in any way, shape or form.”

dabvu2498
12-04-2012, 03:51 PM
And Malzhan to Auburn. Interesting day.

Tennessee is now on the clock.

Revering4Blue
12-04-2012, 04:01 PM
And Malzhan to Auburn. Interesting day.

Tennessee is now on the clock.

Taken from a A.L .com article comments section.

So much for the home run hire. What happen to all the big names? Guess we will see the high school offense again. :rolleyes:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/12/auburn_naming_gus_malzhan_head.html

dabvu2498
12-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Taken from a A.L .com article comments section.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/12/auburn_naming_gus_malzhan_head.html

Are we shocked?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7TxIMAwc1k

jojo
12-04-2012, 05:19 PM
This is a really good hire for Auburn.

If Gus hired Ellis Johnson as his DC, I'd squeal like a school girl.

WVRed
12-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Bret Bielema last winter: "We at the Big Ten don’t want to be like the SEC—in any way, shape or form.”

I'd say Urban Meyer coming to the Big 10+4 changed all of that. His calling out of Meyer's oversigning players plus seeing the success of Meyer's first year in Columbus (plus Brady Hoke at Michigan) basically puts those two at the top of the conference.

That being said, strange hire. I don't see a Big Ten coach coming to the SEC and having success. It worked the other way around with Meyer going to the B10, but Arkansas fans are going to be sorely disappointed with a boring offense.

Barry Alvarez came out yesterday and said that he was shocked Bielema left and is considering coaching in the Rose Bowl himself.

Sea Ray
12-05-2012, 10:48 AM
That being said, strange hire. I don't see a Big Ten coach coming to the SEC and having success. It worked the other way around with Meyer going to the B10, but Arkansas fans are going to be sorely disappointed with a boring offense.

Barry Alvarez came out yesterday and said that he was shocked Bielema left and is considering coaching in the Rose Bowl himself.

It worked out fine for Nick Saban. I'm amazed that a guy would find Arkansas that much of a better job than Wisconsin. Wisconsin is one of the top programs in the Big Ten. The same cannot be said about ARK in the SEC. I guess it goes to show what a great football conference the SEC is

joshnky
12-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Reports are that both Gundy and Strong have turned down offers from UT. Is UT not as big a job as they think? This could be the second straight coaching search where they succeeded only in getting multiple coaches raises at their current school.

bucksfan2
12-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Reports are that both Gundy and Strong have turned down offers from UT. Is UT not as big a job as they think? This could be the second straight coaching search where they succeeded only in getting multiple coaches raises at their current school.

Gundy may have the best donor in College Sports helping his program. UL going into the ACC I would imagine has a lot to do with Strong staying at UL.

jojo
12-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Gundy may have the best donor in College Sports helping his program. UL going into the ACC I would imagine has a lot to do with Strong staying at UL.

That and a big fat raise.

WMR
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Charlie knows that if he goes to UT he'll be exposed for the mediocre coach that he is...

He can stay at Little Brother, dominate the big easy next season, move to the mediocre at best ACC, win 6-8 games a year and never feel a lick of pressure.

He's looking for a new job in 3 years if he goes to UT.

I'm glad he's staying at UL. I've heard from numerous people that Jurich already had the plan in place to bring in Petrino if Strong left.

joshnky
12-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Charlie knows that if he goes to UT he'll be exposed for the mediocre coach that he is...

He can stay at Little Brother, dominate the big easy next season, move to the mediocre at best ACC, win 6-8 games a year and never feel a lick of pressure.

He's looking for a new job in 3 years if he goes to UT.

I'm glad he's staying at UL. I've heard from numerous people that Jurich already had the plan in place to bring in Petrino if Strong left.

This is how I know Strong is doing a good job. UK fans that rejoiced when they guaranteed he was leaving for Ark, then Auburn, then Tennessee sound pretty foolish when they now claim he is an awful coach. Hope you have fun in the Music City Bowl with Stoops!

WMR
12-05-2012, 01:13 PM
This is how I know Strong is doing a good job. UK fans that rejoiced when they guaranteed he was leaving for Ark, then Auburn, then Tennessee sound pretty foolish when they now claim he is an awful coach.

Not awful. Just terribly mediocre. He's a sub-.500 big easy coach without Teddy Heisman and would have lost 3-4 more games this season against just turrible competition without Bridgewater's heroics.

Can Hurtt buy him another QB? Doubtful. That hand has been played.

Just thank God UL isn't getting Petrino back...

Hope you have fun in the Music City Bowl with Stoops!

Enjoy getting curbstomped by the Gators in a bowl your mediocre team has no business playing in!! ;)

joshnky
12-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Not awful. Just terribly mediocre. He's a sub-.500 big easy coach without Teddy Heisman and would have lost 3-4 more games this season against just turrible competition without Bridgewater's heroics.

Can Hurtt buy him another QB? Doubtful. That hand has been played.

Just thank God UL isn't getting Petrino back...

Enjoy getting curbstomped by the Gators in a bowl your mediocre team has no business playing in!! ;)

I agree that strong is a little overrated as a coach. Great recruiter but the team definately underachieved this season. Next year will be a big one for him. Fans will be expecting a top ten finish and if we're still in the big east anything less than 11-1 will be a disappointment. And that one loss better not be to uconn.

That's the funny thing about Petrino. Most fans don't want him as their coach but they also don't want him at their rival.

WMR
12-05-2012, 02:24 PM
I agree that strong is a little overrated as a coach. Great recruiter but the team definately underachieved this season. Next year will be a big one for him. Fans will be expecting a top ten finish and if we're still in the big east anything less than 11-1 will be a disappointment. And that one loss better not be to uconn.

That's the funny thing about Petrino. Most fans don't want him as their coach but they also don't want him at their rival.

UL should really go undefeated next season. Not expecting much out of Stoops for the first season... Teddy Heisman will have a real shot if they lay the wood to people like they should.

I wanted Petrino AND I didn't want him at UL. :D

jojo
12-05-2012, 02:45 PM
FWIW, I think Charlie Strong is a pretty darn good coach. He has completely turned around a cardinal program that had atrophied.

jojo
12-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Ellis Johnson apparently rebuffed Jimbo and FSU in favor of Auburn and wht will surely be a hyper-aggressive defensive attack.

Next fish up? Time to reel in Tracey Rocker from the Titans for DL coach. I think auburn is actually going to add to their recruiting class rather than bleed a few commits.....

WMR
12-05-2012, 08:28 PM
FWIW, I think Charlie Strong is a pretty darn good coach. He has completely turned around a cardinal program that had atrophied.

Except for that beatdown by Syracuse (!!!) and losing to a pathetic UCONN team with a BCS game on the line, yep, COMPLETELY turned around. :lol:

dabvu2498
12-05-2012, 08:45 PM
The hiring process at UT is making Colorado look downright professional.

dabvu2498
12-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Listening to some sports talk radio out of Knoxville. They're legitimately talking about Phil Fulmer returning.

Scarily enough, with the right assistants, that could be the right hire for them.

Sea Ray
12-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Listening to some sports talk radio out of Knoxville. They're legitimately talking about Phil Fulmer returning.

Scarily enough, with the right assistants, that could be the right hire for them.

Sure but you're not going to get Chavis and Cutcliffe to come back. That's the problem

dabvu2498
12-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Sure but you're not going to get Chavis and Cutcliffe to come back. That's the problem

They'd have to steal a couple good coordinators, that's for sure. And that may prove to be more difficult than hiring a head coach has been.

Hart has kind of backed himself into a corner with his mandate that candidates must have head coaching experience. That pool is dwindling fast.

WVRed
12-06-2012, 03:16 PM
They'd have to steal a couple good coordinators, that's for sure. And that may prove to be more difficult than hiring a head coach has been.

Hart has kind of backed himself into a corner with his mandate that candidates must have head coaching experience. That pool is dwindling fast.

Kentucky is proof positive of hiring coordinators right now. Defense is fine, but they've struck out on their top candidate and possibly their second one.

I'd like to see Tennessee look at Dana Holgorsen from WVU. Has an offense that would score points but he would have to hire a pretty good defensive coordinator.

KronoRed
12-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Hard to see how the Tennessee AD could have done worse at this, 'iturneddowntennessee' was trending on Twitter, the vols aren't that bad a job, certainly much better then schools that already have a guy on board.

jojo
12-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Hard to see how the Tennessee AD could have done worse at this, 'iturneddowntennessee' was trending on Twitter, the vols aren't that bad a job, certainly much better then schools that already have a guy on board.

Tennessee is definitely a better job historically than Arkansas. Its not even close.

But it just seems like a mess in the AD's office.

Sea Ray
12-06-2012, 10:02 PM

I'm not thrilled with any of the choices who've turned them down so far. Gruden was never even a real option and I certainly didn't want "look at me, I'm 40" Mike Gundy. I'd rather have Butch Jones than Charlie Strong. I'd just as soon they take their time and get it right. No more Derek Dooleys.

dabvu2498
12-06-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm not thrilled with any of the choices who've turned them down so far. Gruden was never even a real option and I certainly didn't want "look at me, I'm 40" Mike Gundy. I'd rather have Butch Jones than Charlie Strong. I'd just as soon they take their time and get it right. No more Derek Dooleys.

Gundy wouldn't have been a bad choice, but he's not leaving Okie State. Probably ever. Hart had to fly to Stillwater, Gundy picked him up at the airport and they did the interview at Gundy's house. Total waste of time.

WVRed
12-06-2012, 10:40 PM
I'd love Dana Holgorsen but quite honestly I don't think the jump from UWV now that they're in the Big 12 would be enough to make him leave the Mountaineers. For that reason, I haven't even seen his name mentioned

He's would have been a more likely candidate than Mike Gundy. Gundy was at his alma mater and born and raised in Oklahoma.

I'd say losing five games in a row killed any chance of schools looking into Holgorsen, especially with a team ranked pretty highly to start the year. Had Holgorsen won and likely been in a BCS or even the Cotton Bowl this year, he likely would be at the top of SEC wish lists.

RiverRat13
12-07-2012, 08:23 AM
I'd rather have Butch Jones than Charlie Strong.

And there you go :thumbup:

Sea Ray
12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
A lot of Butch Jones' success at UT will revolve around who his assistants are. Can they coach and can they recruit? But UT fans really can't go wrong if you consider who he's replacing. Derek Dooley has to be among the worst coaches in recent SEC history

WMR
12-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Sea Ray: you dodged a bullet on Charlie Strong. Much better chance for Jones to be big time than Strong.

cincrazy
12-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Sea Ray: you dodged a bullet on Charlie Strong. Much better chance for Jones to be big time than Strong.

Just curious, why no love for Strong? I truthfully don't know much about him, would like to see why you don't think he'd be a good fit for a big time program. I'm not saying he WOULD be, I honestly don't know.

19braves77
12-09-2012, 02:47 AM
Texas Tech looks like the place you want coach at until your past works itself out.

Boston Red
12-09-2012, 03:33 AM
Just curious, why no love for Strong?

He is a UK fan. Strong coaches at Louisville.

WDE
12-13-2012, 11:26 PM
These coaching searches bring up a good question: which is the better job, Auburn or Tennessee? If you think about it, they are pretty close. They have close to the same amount of money, which is a whole lot. Auburn has better recruiting areas, but you don't have to constantly compete with Alabama for recruits at Tennessee(for the most part). History doesn't really play a factor, for both teams have won several SEC Championships and each have had many great teams and coaches over the years. Both have big, rabid fanbases. Both have million dollar facilities. Auburn is in the worst year in their history, while Tennessee has not been to a bowl in 3 years, so it is fair to say both teams are down. Which one is it?

Chip R
12-13-2012, 11:35 PM
These coaching searches bring up a good question: which is the better job, Auburn or Tennessee? If you think about it, they are pretty close. They have close to the same amount of money, which is a whole lot. Auburn has better recruiting areas, but you don't have to constantly compete with Alabama for recruits at Tennessee(for the most part). History doesn't really play a factor, for both teams have won several SEC Championships and each have had many great teams and coaches over the years. Both have big, rabid fanbases. Both have million dollar facilities. Auburn is in the worst year in their history, while Tennessee has not been to a bowl in 3 years, so it is fair to say both teams are down. Which one is it?

Not knowing anything about the facilities or pay or anything else, I'd say Tennessee solely because you aren't competing against Alabama for the hearts and minds of the people in your state. Tough call, though.

Sea Ray
12-14-2012, 03:27 PM

If the recruit is on the fence, I'd drive him around Knoxville and the Smokies and see if that doesn't seal the deal. There's not much around Auburn, AL except cow pastures

WMR
12-14-2012, 03:33 PM
If the recruit is on the fence, I'd drive him around Knoxville and the Smokies and see if that doesn't seal the deal. There's not much around Auburn, AL except cow pastures

LOL is that a code word for the "Orange Pride"?

jojo
12-14-2012, 03:38 PM

Clearly you've never actually been to Auburn.

WDE
12-14-2012, 11:25 PM
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/9039/notsureifyoureserious.png

jojo
12-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Forbes list the most valuable college football programs:

http://www.forbes.com/special-report/2012/business-of-college-football.html

Sea Ray
12-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Forbes list the most valuable college football programs:

http://www.forbes.com/special-report/2012/business-of-college-football.html

More SEC domination.

Being a U-Tenn alum, I looked at their situation and if the football program profited $35 mill in a down year where they didn't sellout games, why are they worried about a Derek Dooley buyout of a few mill?

jojo
12-20-2012, 01:38 PM
5-star defensive tackle Lavon Hooks signs with Ole Miss....

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/2012/dec/20/top-juco-recruit-hooks-signs-ole-miss-football/

Ole Miss, Auburn and Mississippi State were his final three choices, and he tried to sign with Auburn, but an issue with an English class couldn't be worked out.

"There was a class the institution didn't accept, so I couldn't get admitted to Auburn," said Hooks, who added the class in question wasn't one he took at Northeast Mississippi. "The SEC accepted it, but the institution didn't. Ole Miss and Mississippi State accepted it."

jojo
12-20-2012, 08:34 PM
http://www.stateuniversity.com/rank_by_state/score_rank/AL.html

jmac
12-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Reports coming out that Tyler Bray will enter NFL draft. Maybe just speculation, not sure.

Revering4Blue
12-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Reports coming out that Tyler Bray will enter NFL draft. Maybe just speculation, not sure.

With a projected weak QB draft class, I'm inclined to believe it. His two best receivers and best lineman will also be gone next year. Factor in a new coach/system and it really doesn't make much sense to stay.

jojo
12-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Gus Malzahn's coaching staff is shaping up to be a force both recruiting-wise and talent-wise.

They just hired Rodney Garner away form Georgia to coach the DL. He joins DC Ellis Johnson and secondary coach Charlie Harbison as the nucleus of a defensive coaching staff comprised of highly respected coaches who are also known to be exceptional recruitors in the Southeast.

Malzahn's growing staff seems poised to be an even more effective recruiting force than the Chizik staff which continually landed top ten classes. I doubt there are many offensive targets that Gus can't get. Defensively, these guys can both flat out coach and recruit with the best of them.

The SEC had better watch out....the Tigers are coming for you.

WDE
12-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Rodney Garner baby! Gus is doin work. :pimp:

dabvu2498
12-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Since we're bragging...

One school in the country has appeared in the last two NCAA Tournaments in men's and women's basketball and baseball and also appeared in bowl games in those two seasons.

One school in the entire world of NCAA Division 1 athletics.

jojo
12-22-2012, 06:18 AM
Since we're bragging...

One school in the country has appeared in the last two NCAA Tournaments in men's and women's basketball and baseball and also appeared in bowl games in those two seasons.

One school in the entire world of NCAA Division 1 athletics.

Your guys suck at equestrian though....

jojo
12-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Auburn has hired secondary coach, Melvin Smith, from MSU to complete their defensive coaching staff under Ellis Johnson.

They also signed the #1 rated JUCO offensive lineman today, Davonte Danzey, who will begin classes in January so that he can participate in spring workouts and compete for guard.

Nice Christmas for Tiger fans.

jojo
12-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Bowl season trivia....what SEC football program currently has the longest winning streak?

Revering4Blue
12-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Bowl season trivia....what SEC football program currently has the longest winning streak?

Regular season? Vandy.

IIRC, the Dores last lost before Alabama fell to A&M.

dabvu2498
12-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Regular season? Vandy.

IIRC, the Dores last lost before Alabama fell to A&M.

Yes!!!

Totally unrelated, but some fool thinks LSU should leave the SEC:

http://theadvocate.com/sports/4741258-32/five-reasons-lsu-should-leave

KronoRed
12-26-2012, 05:51 PM
I didn't even need to click on the link, more whining.

I loved the LSU AD proposing last year that the elephants and auburn needed to move to the east with Kentucky and Mizzo moving west, that would have been a real fair balance.

Sea Ray
12-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Yes!!!

Totally unrelated, but some fool thinks LSU should leave the SEC:

http://theadvocate.com/sports/4741258-32/five-reasons-lsu-should-leave

I do think the SEC should discontinue required permanent opponents but much of the other points are shallow IMO. What it does illustrate is how much schedules can vary in college football and for that reason, I'm amazed that records mean as much as they do. LSU has about 4 games next year that will be tougher than say Notre Dame's yet a one loss LSU team will be ranked lower than an undefeated ND team. Unlike most any other sport, one football schedule may not even include one common team with another schedule. Given that, why rank them so closely based on record?

WMR
12-27-2012, 02:01 PM
You know what the exit fee is for the SEC? $0.

Get steppin', LSU.

OH you won't? B/c you're full of crap? Thanks for telling me that. :lol:

jojo
12-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Just about everyone in the SEC complains about Bama's schedule because historically, they've always had the easiest road and in lot of seasons it's not even close to fair.

cumberlandreds
12-27-2012, 02:20 PM
You know what the exit fee is for the SEC? $0.

Get steppin', LSU.

OH you won't? B/c you're full of crap? Thanks for telling me that. :lol:

I don't think LSU itself is considering leaving at all. This just some moron writer trying to think of something to write. No one who is currently in the SEC is ever going to leave.

KronoRed
12-27-2012, 11:21 PM
It is some writer blabbing away, but it's also true that the LSU AD hates the current set up and will keep beating the drum about it.

dabvu2498
12-31-2012, 04:15 PM
9 wins for the first time since 1915. The jump from "upstart" to "contender" is usually the toughest. That's next.

The ride feels pretty good though.

jojo
12-31-2012, 04:51 PM
9 wins for the first time since 1915. The jump from "upstart" to "contender" is usually the toughest. That's next.

The ride feels pretty good though.

Congrats!

New York Red
01-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Any of you guys see this play today? :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK3eeJgQISk

Sea Ray
01-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Any of you guys see this play today?

Sure did. He's got to be on the top 5 watch list for NFL scouts in 2014

dabvu2498
01-01-2013, 09:40 PM
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n588/Jkm4au/Ammo/ClowneyHit_zps7e5d8075.gif

To me, the best part is how he seems to suck up the fumble with his left hand. Dude probably would have scored if his own guys hadn't rolled up on his legs. Totally freakish.

Todd Gack
01-01-2013, 10:50 PM
I love New Year's Day because it's a so awesome to see bitter rivals root for each other.

jojo
01-01-2013, 11:02 PM
I love New Year's Day because it's a so awesome to see bitter rivals root for each other.

It was heartwarming to see buckeye nation so passionately root for the wolverines.

Todd Gack
01-02-2013, 07:34 AM
It was heartwarming to see buckeye nation so passionately root for the wolverines.

You see it more and more every year in the name of 'conference pride.'

jojo
01-02-2013, 07:39 AM

Ya, I knew the big ten had jumped the shark when they dreamed up foo foo division names like "leaders" and "legends".

War Irish BTW.

WVRed
01-02-2013, 09:32 AM

I don't know if its so much conference pride as it is sheer hatred (jealousy) of the SEC.

I was at a New Years Eve party and one of the guys there was a Buckeye fan who you could tell was pulling against every team in the SEC. He basically said he didn't like the style of play in the SEC compared to the Big Ten, nevermind the fact the SEC has a pretty dominant streak of national championships.

dabvu2498
01-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Ya, I knew the big ten had jumped the shark when they dreamed up foo foo division names like "leaders" and "legends".

At least they're good at... Basketball.

New York Red
01-02-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm a born and raised UK fan who grew up just ten minutes from the campus, but I've always rooted for fellow SEC schools in the post-season, whether it's football, basketball or baseball. It's certainly a conference pride thing, but it also helps that's UK's two most bitter rivals, by far (Louisville and Indiana), are not in the SEC. There's no way I could ever root for either of them -- in any sport.

dabvu2498
01-02-2013, 03:35 PM
I'll never root for UT in any sport. And I'll never root for UK basketball or Bama football. Everyone else is more or less unobjectionable.

Sea Ray
01-02-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm a born and raised UK fan who grew up just ten minutes from the campus, but I've always rooted for fellow SEC schools in the post-season, whether it's football, basketball or baseball. It's certainly a conference pride thing, but it also helps that's UK's two most bitter rivals, by far (Louisville and Indiana), are not in the SEC. There's no way I could ever root for either of them -- in any sport.

I think being able to root for your rivals in Bowl games is a healthy thing. It shows you're grounded and that you don't take sports to a "hating level". People who do that in sports need to get a life IMO

Sea Ray
01-02-2013, 03:37 PM
I'll never root for UT in any sport. And I'll never root for UK basketball or Bama football. Everyone else is more or less unobjectionable.

I sure rooted for Vandy in the Music City Bowl and I'm happy that they've tasted success. As a UT person it'll mean more when we beat you.

dabvu2498
01-02-2013, 03:44 PM
I sure rooted for Vandy in the Music City Bowl and I'm happy that they've tasted success. As a UT person it'll mean more when we beat you.

Nah... I like beating UT regardless of how good they are.

Sea Ray
01-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Nah... I like beating UT regardless of how good they are.

Try beating up on a team for 30 years straight...trust me it gets boring after awhile

dabvu2498
01-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Try beating up on a team for 30 years straight...trust me it gets boring after awhile

Nah. Beating UT will never get old.

Sea Ray
01-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Nah. Beating UT will never get old.

I understand how you can't fathom beating another team for 30 striaght years and I doubt you'll ever experience it

WMR
01-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Hopefully Jones will run a clean program with a minimum of criminals at UT but rule-breaking and lawlessness seem to be institutionally engrained in Knoxville at this point.

Here's hoping...

I'm doubtful UT will ever rise above middle of the pack in the SEC with Jones as HC. Just look at the utterly embarrassing nature of their coaching search...

WMR
01-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Is anyone willing to predict that Notre Dame will beat Bama? Will ND make a game of it?

19braves77
01-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Alabama 31

Notre Dame 17 ( If that )

dabvu2498
01-02-2013, 09:29 PM
I understand how you can't fathom beating another team for 30 striaght years and I doubt you'll ever experience it

Meh. I've talked to Bama fans about it.

19braves77
01-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Gators didnt take this game serious.....

dabvu2498
01-02-2013, 09:31 PM

And if you're looking for the reasons I dislike UT so strongly, look no further.

dabvu2498
01-02-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm doubtful UT will ever rise above middle of the pack in the SEC with Jones as HC. Just look at the utterly embarrassing nature of their coaching search...

Their message boards were crowing about their most recent commit, who was a decommit from Vandy. He was Vandy's lowest rated commitment.

http://www.dnj.com/article/20130102/SPORTS/301020024/Gilbert-Black-Gold-new-Orange-Tennessee?nclick_check=1

19braves77
01-02-2013, 09:54 PM
I would like to thank the powers that be at Auburn and Tennessee for NOT seriously going after Charlie Strong. If he can recruit and coach like this at Louisville, I would hate to see what he could do in the SEC.

jojo
01-02-2013, 10:19 PM
I would like to thank the powers that be at Auburn and Tennessee for NOT seriously going after Charlie Strong. If he can recruit and coach like this at Louisville, I would hate to see what he could do in the SEC.

Auburn made a better hire than Strong.

Todd Gack
01-02-2013, 11:15 PM
I don't know if its so much conference pride as it is sheer hatred (jealousy) of the SEC.

I was at a New Years Eve party and one of the guys there was a Buckeye fan who you could tell was pulling against every team in the SEC. He basically said he didn't like the style of play in the SEC compared to the Big Ten, nevermind the fact the SEC has a pretty dominant streak of national championships.

The SEC started it and everyone else jumped on board. I just don't get it. If your team is good enough, it can stand on its own credentials and not the idiotic chants at games.

jojo
01-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Football in the South is a different beast. It's part of the fabric of Southern pride and tradition. It means more to Southern fans than football means to big ten fans....in many cases it's even inextricably conflated with family tradition. Take Bama football as an example. For a significant part of Bear's tenure, Bama football was one of the few bright spots and sources of pride in the difficult lives of struggling sand mountaineers.

An irony is that for all of the buckeye hatred spewed about the SEC, buckeye nation doesn't seem to mind that their coach will always be thought of as an SEC coach and he is trying his best to recruit SEC players. Heck, they can't even claim the moral ground regarding NCAA compliance.

KronoRed
01-03-2013, 12:48 AM
Gators didnt take this game serious.....

Unprepared, undisciplined and upended, a huge embarrassment that is all on the head coach.

I hope Strong sticks with Louisville for a few years, it'll be easier to get him when the times comes ;)

Sea Ray
01-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Hopefully Jones will run a clean program with a minimum of criminals at UT but rule-breaking and lawlessness seem to be institutionally engrained in Knoxville at this point.

Here's hoping...

After last night I'd say there's nothing embarassing about pursuing Charlie Strong. I'd say that shows that they have good taste

Sea Ray
01-03-2013, 08:14 AM
And if you're looking for the reasons I dislike UT so strongly, look no further.

You really ought to get therapy for your hatred. Seriously, I was happy for Vandy and the season they had. If I had your attitude I'd be one miserable soul

cumberlandreds
01-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Is anyone willing to predict that Notre Dame will beat Bama? Will ND make a game of it?

I think it will be a very close game. I believe Bama will win but it will be a fight. ND is going to take this disrespect being shown to them to heart. If Bama isn't fully ready to play they will lose.

SEC in the bowl season is showing this was a down year for them. I thought it during the season and it's showing up in the post season. It didn't surprise me that UL beat UF. I thought UF was somewhat overrated all season. If Bridgewater was healthy I thought, at the least UL, would give them a tough game.

Sea Ray
01-03-2013, 08:33 AM
I think it will be a very close game. I believe Bama will win but it will be a fight. ND is going to take this disrespect being shown to them to heart. If Bama isn't fully ready to play they will lose.

SEC in the bowl season is showing this was a down year for them. I thought it during the season and it's showing up in the post season. It didn't surprise me that UL beat UF. I thought UF was somewhat overrated all season. If Bridgewater was healthy I thought, at the least UL, would give them a tough game.

By SEC standards this was indeed a bad year but when it's all said and done by any other standard it was a very good year. I expect Alabama to take the crown again on Monday

dabvu2498
01-03-2013, 08:58 AM
You really ought to get therapy for your hatred. Seriously, I was happy for Vandy and the season they had. If I had your attitude I'd be one miserable soul

So you root for Alabama and Florida and Vandy and Kentucky when they're not playing UT? Nah. I can't get behind that. I'm all for "defending the conference" but most times, the results speak for themselves. I won't pull for any of the rivals of my favorite team. Especially when the fan base is largely a group of condescending, know-it-alls. I'm perfectly fine with UT going 0-12 in perpetuity.

dougdirt
01-03-2013, 12:12 PM
An irony is that for all of the buckeye hatred spewed about the SEC, buckeye nation doesn't seem to mind that their coach will always be thought of as an SEC coach and he is trying his best to recruit SEC players. Heck, they can't even claim the moral ground regarding NCAA compliance.

Doesn't one have to play in the SEC to be an SEC player? If they sign up elsewhere, then they aren't an SEC player. Ohio State has been recruiting from the south and taking players who had interest from SEC schools for decades. This isn't something new with Urban Meyer.

jojo
01-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Score another outstanding hire for Gus Malzahn as he completes is new staff. Today he added Rich Bisaccia, one of the best special teams coaches in football regardless of level, to serve as assistant Head coach and to coach special teams and running backs.

Malzahn is building a staff of individuals with impressive track records of developing NFL calibre players and given their recruiting reputations, this staff will be a recruiting juggernaut.

WMR
01-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Props to UL. UF clearly had no interest in playing this game but a win is a win.

Bridgewater is really great.

UK will probably be the best team UL plays next season... could have an easy run next season if they don't screw it up. Will their pre-season ranking get them to the NC if they avoid choking? Possibly so, hard to call that projected schedule earning it though, hence the changes that have been made to the BCS.

IslandRed
01-03-2013, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't exactly say that. I've watched several UF games this year and they looked about like they always do on defense, fast and super-aggressive -- early on, they looked closer to "out of control" than "disinterested" -- and, like most of the season, the offense was uninspiring. They made a living all year off winning the turnover battle, special teams and the fourth quarter, but they made a few too many mistakes to dig their way out this time, mostly thanks to Bridgewater's poise and accuracy. It's football, it was six weeks since they'd played, it happens.

Who knows how the game turns out if Louisville doesn't get that shot of "this is our night" adrenaline right out of the gate, but that's why they play 'em.

jojo
01-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Christmas just won't end for Auburn fans. It looks like Dameyune Craig is coming home to serve as associate offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach. Craig is widely regarded as one of the premier recruiters in college football and he is a helluva human being too. By my count all that is left is TE coach. Tim Horton (razorback rb coach) has loudly been rumored to be a target to fill that spot.

Auburn is poised to inflict some serious bloodletting on its rivals across the recruiting grounds. Put 5 stars in Malzahns scheme and records will be broken. Give Johnson 5 stars and tell him aggression is priority one and you'll get guys vaporized like Clowney's infamous hit. Sandmountaineers had better run to the hills. You know that thing you fear the most? It's back. And it's pissed.

New York Red
01-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Louisville wouldn't be at the level they're at without the shady recruiting of Clint Hurtt (which includes Teddy Bridgewater). Without Bridgewater, UofL was likely a sub-.500 football team this year, and he was obviously the difference in the game last night. They better hope Hurtt ends up being innocent of all the things thrown at him in that Yahoo article last year.

joshnky
01-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Louisville wouldn't be at the level they're at without the shady recruiting of Clint Hurtt (which includes Teddy Bridgewater). Without Bridgewater, UofL was likely a sub-.500 football team this year, and he was obviously the difference in the game last night. They better hope Hurtt ends up being innocent of all the things thrown at him in that Yahoo article last year.

Funny coming from a fan of UK basketball. The same could be said of calipari and the allegations Pete thamel has tossed around.

Facts are the NCAA has not found any wrong doing by Cal or Hurt. UK fans are just upset because SEC superiority argument carries a lot less weight after Louisville has dominated the second highest ranked school in the conference.

And bridgewater was awesome but so was the defense.

jmac
01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
UK fans are just upset because SEC superiority argument carries a lot less weight after Louisville has dominated the second highest ranked school in the conference..
I am by no means a Louisville fan but I told my friends the day of the game that I didnt feel it would be a Gator blowout. My reasoning was, this wasnt a Spurrier or Meyer Florida team. They would beat you by a score of 21-13 rather than 52-10.
The following scores are 3 of their last 4 games.

Missouri W 14-7
Louisiana-Lafayette W 27-20
Jacksonville State W 23-0

A Spurrier/Meyer team would have put at least 40 on the board against those teams and ran them off the field.
Louisville's defense played the way it did earlier in the season, which was excellent, and Florida didnt have the offense to catch up.
I realize they are the second highest rated team but I feel like at best they are the 3rd best. It is debatable but I didnt feel like the Gators should have been playing in that game. Georgia made a believer out of me against Bama. That rule that kept them out of the BCS game and put Florida in is silly to me.
I realize a rule is a rule but UGA was ranked 3rd and was within one play of knocking off Bama in what was truly a classic football game but they "drop" in rankings and go to a lesser bowl (after beating Florida in season).
I felt like Florida was more of a 8 or 9 overall ranked team rather than a #3.
That being said, Louisville deserves the credit as TB is the real deal and will probably be vaulted on the national scene for the upcoming season after that game.
It may be junior season and on to pros.

jojo
01-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Gus Malzahn has indeed completed is on the field coaching staff as Tim Horton has accepted a position as TE coach.

Horton has been instrumental in Arkansas' recent success in the running game and is also known as an excellent recruiter.

Malzahn has put together a very impressive oaching staff at a breakneck speed.

BuckeyeRed27
01-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Doesn't one have to play in the SEC to be an SEC player? If they sign up elsewhere, then they aren't an SEC player. Ohio State has been recruiting from the south and taking players who had interest from SEC schools for decades. This isn't something new with Urban Meyer.

Urban just recruited one of those SEC players in Trey Johnson.

jojo
01-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Roh roh, Bama fans.....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls12/story/_/id/8813204/discover-bcs-national-championship-alabama-crimson-tide-players-meet-seeking-focus-intensity

WVRed
01-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Anybody watching the Johnny Football show? I'm hoping the Bengals have a down season in two years so they can get this guy. If he's this good as a freshman and even has more room to grow physically, he could be a once in a lifetime player.

jojo
01-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Anybody watching the Johnny Football show? I'm hoping the Bengals have a down season in two years so they can get this guy. If he's this good as a freshman and even has more room to grow physically, he could be a once in a lifetime player.

I'm not sure there is a team in the country that could beat A&M right now.