PDA

View Full Version : SEC Football Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

LoganBuck
09-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Post SEC football discussion here. I offer this thread as a pollution offset. This is the appropriate place to discuss the SEC.

Have fun in your echo chamber.

Sea Ray
09-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Great. What do you want to discuss? This isn't the forum to discuss easy Big Ten schedules. If your intent is to segregate these threads into Big Ten fans and non Big Ten fans, I'd argue that's not a good thing.

The LSU-MSU game last night had me scratching my head how the Bulldogs could have attained a national ranking (#25). Their QB was very shaky. The game didn't seem as close as the final score.

I welcome non SEC fans to weigh in.

bucksfan2
09-16-2011, 10:58 AM
That game last night was a snoozer. Hard hitting defense with inept offense. I don't see how LSU can continue to win games with Lee at QB.

WVRed
09-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Have fun in your echo chamber.

Gotta have a place to discuss God's Conference.

Have fun in the Ineligi-Bowl on Saturday night. :)

That game last night was a snoozer. Hard hitting defense with inept offense. I don't see how LSU can continue to win games with Lee at QB.

The real test for LSU will be Saturday after next in Morgantown against WVU. It will be a test for both teams:

LSU: Can they pass a non-conference test on the road without their top QB before they hit the gauntlet in SEC play?

WVU: Can the Mountaineers show they belong in not just BCS discussion, but if they beat Maryland and a pretty weak Big East conference schedule coming up, in national championship discussion? (Yes, you read that correctly)

gonelong
09-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Great. What do you want to discuss?

Oversigning?

GL

http://www.ajc.com/sports/uga/over-signing-is-sec-962416.html

The Southeastern Conference will consider legislation this week to address over-signing, the controversial recruiting action that Georgia football coach Mark Richt has called "an awful thing to do."

Enlarge photo Curtis Compton, ccompton@ajc.com On the issue of over-signing football recruits, UGA's Mark Richt says, "I think that's an awful thing to do; I think that's the wrong thing to do."

Over-signing is when a college signs more recruits than it has scholarships available. Schools that over-sign benefit from a steady supply of players ready to take roster spots vacated when recruits don't meet NCAA academic requirements, players suffer injuries, players have off-field issues or players transfer.

Colleges that over-sign run into problems when there isn't enough roster attrition, forcing coaches to ask recruits to delay enrollment, current players to take a medical hardship or players to leave the program.

The SEC, which has won five straight BCS championships, has a reputation for over-signing. An Alabama newspaper columnist wrote that "the SEC wouldn't be 5-for-5 if it weren't for over-signing." It allows coaches to tinker with college rosters as if they were operating with an NFL waiver wire.

Over-signing appears to be the hot-button issue for SEC school presidents, athletic directors and coaches who attend the conference's annual spring meetings, which begin Tuesday in Destin, Fla.

SEC commissioner Mike Slive will introduce a legislation package this week to address over-signing.

"There will be action because [the proposals] will come forth as proposed legislation for the presidents, the ADs and the other groups to opine on, but I feel good about them," Slive told The Macon Telegraph.

"So I think the goal is to make sure that our prospective student-athletes are treated in a way that is as they should be treated, like students are treated. And I think this package does that."

Slive hasn't revealed the specifics of the proposed measures, but has thrown his political weight behind it. He also told the Telegraph that it goes beyond over-signing, addressing what he calls roster management.

“In other words, it’s more than just the question of over-signing or grayshirting,” Slive said. “It’s a question of over-signing, grayshirting, early admissions, summer school admission. We’ve put together what we call a bit of a package to address these issues, that will give our people a chance to think about these issues in a more global fashion."

It's unclear how much support the legislation has entering the SEC meetings. In an unofficial survey by ESPN, SEC football coaches were 8-4 in favor of not drastically changing the rules.

South Carolina's Steve Spurrier has said the Gamecocks must over-sign because of his state's poor academic record, and Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt remains a staunch supporter of this recruiting method. Nutt impulsively signed 37 recruits in 2009, leading to SEC and NCAA legislation capping the limit at 28.

Alabama's Nick Saban is concerned about future restrictions in the SEC, telling ESPN, "In my opinion, it would really affect the quality in our league."

On the opposite side of this issue is Florida president Bernie Machen, who has called over-signing and related matters "morally reprehensible."
Richt sounded off on the topic at a booster club meeting last month in Greenville, S.C.

“If you bring them in in the summer, and you work them and you let your strength staff work with them, and you kind of decide which ones you like best, and you tell five of them, ‘Hey, we know we signed you and we expected you to be able to come in; we don’t have the space for you, we’re really sorry about that but we don’t have space for you -- you’re gonna have to leave and come back in January.

"I think that’s an awful thing to do; I think that’s the wrong thing to do. And it’s nothing that we’ve done since I’ve been at Georgia."

However, Richt admitted he uses the method of "grayshirts" with roster management, as long as the recruit is informed in advance of the situation. With a grayshirt, a player signs in February, but does not enroll in the summer with his teammates. He delays entry until January and counts against the team’s scholarship total for the following year.

Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson is also outspoken against over-signing.

“We just don’t do it," Johnson said. "It makes it hard sometimes to hit your target number, but it is what it is. I don’t see how you can do that to kids, weed out guys for whatever reasons. No matter what anybody says, if you’re over-signing, some of that has to happen on occasion.”

Johnson said colleges that over-sign have a competitive advantage. “Sure they do," he said. "It’s just like you take 25 kids every year and then cut the ones you don’t want."

Over-signing was one of the main reasons Georgia Tech left the SEC as a member school in 1964.

Sea Ray
09-17-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't think there's any question that there's a lot of oversigning that goes on in the SEC. That might be a reason why the SEC is so superior to the Big Ten on the field and makes 'em look like they've got lead in their cleats. Who knows? That's as good a guess as any.

If you have any more ideas on why the Big Ten is so inferior in football, please do post 'em. That'd be fun...;)

jojo
09-17-2011, 10:46 AM
How about either actually discussing the SEC or changing the thread titlt to "SEC Football Bashing Thread" because the current thread as it's going is in particularly bad taste...

dabvu2498
09-17-2011, 04:37 PM
No Vanderbilt football player has ever played in 2 bowl games. Ever.

My prediction: that will be untrue by the time this year's freshmen graduate. And I'm a pessimist. God, how I love watching them win conference games, I don't care who it's against.

jojo
09-17-2011, 04:48 PM

My prediction: that will be untrue by the time this year's freshmen graduate. And I'm a pessimist. God, how I love watching them win conference games, I don't care who it's against.

Vandy is an awesome place. I don't think they'll ever spend what their competition does on their program but its hard to root against them.

Slyder
09-17-2011, 05:38 PM
So any word on who #14 will be? WVU is looking lonely in the Big East.

jojo
09-17-2011, 06:02 PM
So any word on who #14 will be? WVU is looking lonely in the Big East.

Virginia Tech maybe. The SEC would like to invade the DC market.

Slyder
09-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Virginia Tech maybe. The SEC would like to invade the DC market.

WVU gives you more access than Va Tech does. The only school I'd argue more is Notre Dame and they aren't joining anytime soon.

jojo
09-17-2011, 06:11 PM
WVU gives you more access than Va Tech does. The only school I'd argue more is Notre Dame and they aren't joining anytime soon.

I could see them taking both WVU and Va Tech and then also inviting Mizzou.

dabvu2498
09-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Vandy is an awesome place. I don't think they'll ever spend what their competition does on their program but its hard to root against them.

The SI article said it best, and I'm paraphrasing, "it's like playing in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox with the history of the Cubs, the fan support of the Rays, and the resources of the Royals."

If Franklin could somehow get them to 8-4 sometime in the next 4-5 years... Well... Then you start thinking anything is possible.

I know this: they have a long way to go. This year, next year and as long as they play varsity football. But today somehow felt different.

jojo
09-17-2011, 06:44 PM
The SI article said it best, and I'm paraphrasing, "it's like playing in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox with the history of the Cubs, the fan support of the Rays, and the resources of the Royals."

If Franklin could somehow get them to 8-4 sometime in the next 4-5 years... Well... Then you start thinking anything is possible.

I know this: they have a long way to go. This year, next year and as long as they play varsity football. But today somehow felt different.

They dominated Ole Miss. I hope Houstan Nutt has asbestos underwear...

jojo
09-17-2011, 08:19 PM
The real test for LSU will be Saturday after next in Morgantown against WVU. It will be a test for both teams:

LSU: Can they pass a non-conference test on the road without their top QB before they hit the gauntlet in SEC play?

WVU: Can the Mountaineers show they belong in not just BCS discussion, but if they beat Maryland and a pretty weak Big East conference schedule coming up, in national championship discussion? (Yes, you read that correctly)

LSU's defense is legitimately scary and probably the best in the country. People often talk about team speed but their young defensive end ran down Oregon's James from behind. Ouch. Their offense is probably better without Jefferson. But their offense isn't very good. It doesn't need to be though.

I think LSU wins this one.

gonelong
09-17-2011, 08:55 PM
I don't think there's any question that there's a lot of oversigning that goes on in the SEC. That might be a reason why the SEC is so superior to the Big Ten on the field and makes 'em look like they've got lead in their cleats. Who knows? That's as good a guess as any.

Yes, signing 20+ more players over a 4-5 year period is a gigantic advantage given their recruiting area and program status. At least 2-3 starters worth, and probably 2-3 players for depth. A *huge* advantage.

The SEC will come back to the pack when the over signing issue picks up a bit more steam, and it will. It will probably take a few more years, but it will happen. Even the coaches, the ones benefiting from the practice, realize how despicable the practice is.

It will be more difficult to drive players off the team, offer them "medical" scholarships, etc. as the practices are becoming more well know by both the media and the general public.

The irony is that the SECs current success and popularity will likely be the impetus for the media to turn against them. They just love to build them up and then knock them down.

If you have any more ideas on why the Big Ten is so inferior in football, please do post 'em. That'd be fun...;)

Charming.

GL

dabvu2498
09-18-2011, 12:06 AM
They dominated Ole Miss. I hope Houstan Nutt has asbestos underwear...

Still better than Coach O.

Sea Ray
09-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Yes, signing 20+ more players over a 4-5 year period is a gigantic advantage given their recruiting area and program status. At least 2-3 starters worth, and probably 2-3 players for depth. A *huge* advantage.

The SEC will come back to the pack when the over signing issue picks up a bit more steam, and it will. It will probably take a few more years, but it will happen. Even the coaches, the ones benefiting from the practice, realize how despicable the practice is.

It will be more difficult to drive players off the team, offer them "medical" scholarships, etc. as the practices are becoming more well know by both the media and the general public.

The irony is that the SECs current success and popularity will likely be the impetus for the media to turn against them. They just love to build them up and then knock them down.

GL

Regardless, the SEC is bound to come back to the pack. This kind of sucess is unprecedented. All these championships from one conference spread out over several different schools.

jojo
09-19-2011, 06:34 PM
That South Carolina has received formal notification that their football program is being investigated by the NCAA has largely went under the radar:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5552007

The charges have been identified in a USA today report today (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/index):

The charges spelled out by the NCAA include claims that 12 student-athletes received an estimated $47,000 in impermissible benefits from a local hotel through reduced rent and that nine players received special arrangements to pay at a later date.

It is also alleged that two people deemed representatives of the school made impermissible contact with recruits and provided them impermissible benefits. The violations were said to have occurred between spring 2009 and February 2011.

LoganBuck
09-19-2011, 07:02 PM
That South Carolina has received formal notification that their football program is being investigated by the NCAA has largely went under the radar:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5552007

The charges have been identified in a USA today report today (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/index):

Do we even pretend to be surprised anymore? It is seemingly permeating every school. I just got done listening to Steve Spurrior on Cowherd's show last week, talking about how they preach compliance to their guys, and how good a job they do.

Sea Ray
09-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Re: the Oct 15th matchup of LSU at Tennessee...

A lot of stuff will have to go right for the Vols to win. Losing their top WR (Hunter) early in the FL game really screwed 'em up. They'll have time to work in a replacement by Oct 15th.

My guess is UT will play them tough and LSU will win it late. Last yr UT very nearly beat LSU in Baton Rouge only to lose it on a controversial review after time expired. In fact if they had NFL rules, UT would have won

jojo
10-01-2011, 05:05 PM
This might be the last time that Dan Mullen let's his guys stomp on another team's logo before a game....

jojo
10-02-2011, 09:49 AM
The SEC west is very scary. It's entirely possible that no team from the west will be in the BCS championship game because they beat each other...

LoganBuck
10-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Bama dismantled Florida last night. I can't wait for LSU/Bama

jojo
10-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Bama dismantled Florida last night. I can't wait for LSU/Bama

Ya, me too. The three games that I was looking most forward to (outside of Auburn's) all turned out to be duds (Wis vs Neb, Clem vs Va Tech, Bama vs Florida).

Stray
10-02-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't see anyone beating Bama this year. Their defense is ridiculous.

jmac
10-02-2011, 04:31 PM
I don't see anyone beating Bama this year. Their defense is ridiculous.

Agree. I had thought LSU but after watching the Tide roll over Florida, they look like the best team out there.

KronoRed
10-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Not to throw a bucket of water on the "Bama is awesome" talk, but Florida is a pretty bad team right now with a mediocre coaching staff.

Scrap Irony
10-02-2011, 09:18 PM
'Bama's defense hits so hard. How many drops due to good pops did the Gators have?

They don't play dirty, either. Just hard. All the time.

LSU's D is almost as good. Maybe just as good. (Hard to gauge, as WVU's weird and UK's putrid.)

Alabama's offense is better so far. LSU's should improve more by the end of the season.

IMO, they're the two best teams in the NCAA this season by a fairly large margin.

jojo
10-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Houston Nutt apparently has issues with just about everyone....

dabvu2498
11-05-2011, 07:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=111103/LesMiles

Great article on Les. Maybe he's not such a doofus after all.

BuckeyeRed27
11-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Did Saban forget to oversign a kicker?

jojo
11-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Did Saban forget to oversign a kicker?

No...he's got a long kicker and a short one.... I think he forgot how to play for field position given his defense....

dabvu2498
11-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Not enough carries for Richardson either.

jojo
11-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Not enough carries for Richardson either.

Glacier meet bedrock that game.

dabvu2498
11-06-2011, 01:09 AM
No way McCarron should have had more passing attempts than Richardson had carries.

KronoRed
11-06-2011, 01:46 AM
Only FG's? Yuck.

jojo
11-06-2011, 01:53 AM
Only FG's? Yuck.

To be fair, there were lots of missed FGs too.

OnBaseMachine
11-06-2011, 01:57 AM
That was a real snoozer. Thankfully the Oklahoma State/Kansas State game was on at the same time.

jojo
11-06-2011, 01:02 AM
That was a real snoozer. Thankfully the Oklahoma State/Kansas State game was on at the same time.

Ya. The BCS championship game is looking to be a snoozer this year.

KronoRed
11-06-2011, 01:13 AM

Contrasting games, two great D's compared to two non existent ones ;)

OnBaseMachine
11-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Lack of offense from what I saw. WVU proved you can throw the ball on LSU.

KronoRed
11-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Ya. The BCS championship game is looking to be a snoozer this year.

A rematch? No thanks, teams that don't win their conference have no business playing for a national title.

OnBaseMachine
11-06-2011, 01:22 AM
A rematch? No thanks, teams that don't win their conference have no business playing for a national title.

Agreed 100%.

jojo
11-06-2011, 01:24 AM

I don't think there will be a rematch.

But concerning the conference thing, if the top three teams were undefeated LSU/Boise and a 1 loss Bama, Bama would have a great case.

BuckeyeRed27
11-06-2011, 02:43 AM
I don't think there will be a rematch.

But concerning the conference thing, if the top three teams were undefeated LSU/Boise and a 1 loss Bama, Bama would have a great case.

A case they can take to the Sugar Bowl while they see if Boise can find the end zone against LSU.

dougdirt
11-06-2011, 02:51 AM
At no point during that game did I get the feeling that LSU was the better team on that field tonight. Yet they still pulled out the win. Sports... they are a crazy thing.

RiverRat13
11-06-2011, 10:19 AM
I look at the rematch talk from LSU's point-of-view. They beat Alabama at Alabama. They should not have to play Alabama again.

How lucky is LSU that every time it has a title-caliber team the BCS Championship happens to be in NOLA? I'm not saying they wouldn't have won their two other championships somewhere else, but it is still extremely fortunate and a luxury that many other teams never have a chance of happening for them.

jmac
11-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Here is what I posted on facebook concerning my thoughts on a possible rematch : "They may be the best 2 teams but a rematch would prove what ? LSU wins at Alabama but a Bama win would give them the title yet it would be one win a piece for the season ? I vote no. Bama had their shot and it was a home game."

OnBaseMachine
11-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Hilarious to see Alabama still at #3. Unreal. They couldn't even score a TD at home. As much as I love college football, I will never watch it again until the BCS is gone if they put Alabama in over an undefeated team like Stanford or Oklahoma State. It wouldn't surprise me to see a rematch, as if the first one wasn't boring enough.

jojo
11-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Hilarious to see Alabama still at #3. Unreal. They couldn't even score a TD at home. As much as I love college football, I will never watch it again until the BCS is gone if they put Alabama in over an undefeated team like Stanford.

Presumably Stanford would get a bump if they beat Oregon but the TD comment ignores an awful lot.

gonelong
11-07-2011, 10:01 AM
I wasn't a big fan of an OSU/Mich rematch in 2006 and I don't want to see it here either.

You had your chance, your done. You can't be a national champion if you don't win your conference. (Which is why I like the Big10 having a Conference Championship game)

GL

jojo
11-07-2011, 10:21 AM
I wasn't a big fan of an OSU/Mich rematch in 2006 and I don't want to see it here either.

You had your chance, your done. You can't be a national champion if you don't win your conference. (Which is why I like the Big10 having a Conference Championship game)

GL

I'd be surprised if anyone outside of Tuscaloosa truly wants a rematch. I don't. If OSU and Stanford take care of their business, its a moot point and Bama has no case whatsoever.

Just in case OSU and Stanford stumble though, those that likewise don't want a rematch should become huge Auburn fans on the 26th.

Sea Ray
11-07-2011, 10:44 AM

Nice to see someone still plays defense in college. I agree Alabama ought to be able to recruit a kicker. A team with atrocious special teams does not deserve to win a national championship.

bucksfan2
11-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Nice to see someone still plays defense in college. I agree Alabama ought to be able to recruit a kicker. A team with atrocious special teams does not deserve to win a national championship.

In the NFL if you see a 9-6 football game you consider it an awful game. In college some consider it a great game? OSU played MSU to a slug fest that was awful to watch as a fan.

I fell asleep watching the game. Both teams had great offenses but both teams are severely lacking in offense. Its shocking to see teams with the amount of talent up and down the roster struggle to score.

BuckeyeRed27
11-07-2011, 12:13 PM
In the NFL if you see a 9-6 football game you consider it an awful game. In college some consider it a great game? OSU played MSU to a slug fest that was awful to watch as a fan.

I fell asleep watching the game. Both teams had great offenses but both teams are severely lacking in offense. Its shocking to see teams with the amount of talent up and down the roster struggle to score.

Both teams are severely lacking at QB. Combine that with great defenses and you get 15 points.

Sea Ray
11-07-2011, 12:29 PM

I wouldn't call it a great game but it is refreshing to see defense is still played. An ugly game is one where the QB throws three passes and he wins the game...:D

jojo
11-07-2011, 12:40 PM

This was a pitcher's duel involving two incredible defenses.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Oregon traveled halfway across the country and scored 27 points on LSU's defense despite turning the ball over FOUR times.

West Virginia threw for 463 yards against LSU and had 533 total yards, and like Oregon, they turned the ball over four times.

LSU has had trouble against great offenses outside the SEC this season.

dabvu2498
11-07-2011, 12:59 PM
And yet Oregon only outgained Bama by 40 yards.

Oregon and WVU were able to score some because virtually every time LSU touched the ball against their defenses, they scored.

College football is all about matchups. Clearly LSU and Bama have enough offense to put up points on most good college teams. I tend to think this game was a bit of an anomaly because those defenses are so good.

bucksfan2
11-07-2011, 01:00 PM
This was a pitcher's duel involving two incredible defenses.

Call it what you want. I saw two inept offenses.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Call it what you want. I saw two inept offenses.

Agreed. Oregon and WVU proved you can move the ball on LSU. Both teams repeatedly shot themselves in the foot with turnovers but still managed to put up good offensive numbers. I have a feeling Weeden and Blackmon would do the same, but hopefully without the turnovers.

dabvu2498
11-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Agreed. Oregon and WVU proved you can move the ball on LSU. Both teams repeatedly shot themselves in the foot with turnovers but still managed to put up good offensive numbers. I have a feeling Weeden and Blackmon would do the same, but hopefully without the turnovers.

But they'll give up 40+ and only score in the 20s. Not winning football.

BuckeyeRed27
11-07-2011, 01:38 PM

I think an LSU vs. Oklahoma State matchup would look a lot like that Oregon game, but maybe a little closer because Okie St has better skill players.

I'd give Stanford a chance against LSU if they got ahead early and made LSU throw. I think LSU would wear them down running the ball and I'm not sure Stanford has the depth to hang.

Who knows with Boise, but I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't be a bad game either.

bucksfan2
11-07-2011, 01:53 PM
I think an LSU vs. Oklahoma State matchup would look a lot like that Oregon game, but maybe a little closer because Okie St has better skill players.

I'd give Stanford a chance against LSU if they got ahead early and made LSU throw. I think LSU would wear them down running the ball and I'm not sure Stanford has the depth to hang.

Who knows with Boise, but I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't be a bad game either.

I don't think Stanford could match up with LSU athletically. I think they could out scheme LSU and if they got a lead it could be an interesting game but I just don't see it.

Okie State may just be the best match up. Better overall talent than Oregon, and can score points in bunches.

I think Boise would end up a lot like a Stanford game. I don't think they have the horses to play with LSU.

The best match up may just be a one loss Oklahoma, even with Broyles out. They have the best talent out there to match up with LSU and have a top tier QB.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2011, 01:53 PM

Not if they hang on to the football. Turnovers killed Oregon and WVU. Don't turn the ball over four times and I doubt LSU scores more than 30.

dougdirt
11-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Not if they hang on to the football. Turnovers killed Oregon and WVU. Don't turn the ball over four times and I doubt LSU scores more than 30.

Sometimes the other team causes the turnovers though.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Sometimes the other team causes the turnovers though.

True, and other times the other team just makes a dumb mistake resulting in a turnover. Oregon's punt returner muffed a punt inside his own 10 yard line...Geno Smith made a horrible pass right before halftime. Can't really give the defense credit for that.

dougdirt
11-07-2011, 02:15 PM
True, and other times the other team just makes a dumb mistake resulting in a turnover. Oregon's punt returner muffed a punt inside his own 10 yard line...Geno Smith made a horrible pass right before halftime. Can't really give the defense credit for that.

Absolutely. I don't recall all of both games, but given the total amount of turnovers, I assumed that some were caused by the defense.

jojo
11-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Oregon traveled halfway across the country and scored 27 points on LSU's defense despite turning the ball over FOUR times.

West Virginia threw for 463 yards against LSU and had 533 total yards, and like Oregon, they turned the ball over four times.

Your implication seems to be that the LSU defense is overrated.

LSU held Oregon to just 335 total yards and under 100 rushing. Under whose defintion, is that "proving they could move the ball on LSU"? Oregon is averaging 511 total yards/game and 298/g rushing. LSU only beat the then #3 team in the country by 13 but it wasn't really that close. LSU did not have trouble with Oregon's offense.

Concerning the road game against WVU, Geno did pass for a ton of yards in a 26 point loss, but LSU essentially controlled that game.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Your implication seems to be that the LSU defense is overrated.

LSU held Oregon to just 335 total yards and under 100 rushing. Under whose defintion, is that "proving they could move the ball on LSU"? Oregon is averaging 511 total yards/game and 298/g rushing. LSU only beat the then #3 team in the country by 13 but it wasn't really that close. LSU did not have trouble with Oregon's offense.

Concerning the road game against WVU, Geno did pass for a ton of yards in a 26 point loss, but LSU essentially controlled that game.

Oregon scored 27 points despite turning the ball over four times. Who knows how many more they score without the mistakes.

The WVU-LSU game was a six point game late in the third quarter...

IslandRed
11-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Both teams are severely lacking at QB. Combine that with great defenses and you get 15 points.

Yep.

The LSU and Alabama offenses are not completely one-dimensional like, say, the old Nebraska teams were, but in one sense they're the same: the entire offensive philosophy is based on the belief that they will physically whip the opponent in the run game. When they met Saturday and found out they couldn't -- immovable object > irresistible force -- they had nothing for an answer. That's where a QB needs to step up and make a throw or five, and it didn't happen.

Sea Ray
11-07-2011, 02:56 PM

Very true. I don't think Alabama is a great offense by any means but they're an awfully good team

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Very true. I don't think Alabama is a great offense by any means but they're an awfully good team

I agree that Alabama is a great team. They are a top 5-7 team in my book. I just don't think it's fair to place them ahead of an undefeated Oklahoma State or Stanford at the end of the season.

BuckeyeRed27
11-07-2011, 03:07 PM
I don't think Stanford could match up with LSU athletically. I think they could out scheme LSU and if they got a lead it could be an interesting game but I just don't see it.

Okie State may just be the best match up. Better overall talent than Oregon, and can score points in bunches.

I think Boise would end up a lot like a Stanford game. I don't think they have the horses to play with LSU.

The best match up may just be a one loss Oklahoma, even with Broyles out. They have the best talent out there to match up with LSU and have a top tier QB.

I agree that Stanford and Boise don't have the horses so to speak, but they do have the QBs. If the lines could give Luck or Moore time (which is a big if) I think they are both so accurate they could really test LSU.

Okie State doesn't play defense. Every time one of these high scoring offenses run into a phyiscal defense they rarely win.

I think Oklahoma and actually Wisconsin match up well, but neither has a chance to play for it so doesn't really matter.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Stanford has one of the best offensive lines in the country. Jonathan Martin and David DeCastro are viewed as first round picks.

jojo
11-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Oregon scored 27 points despite turning the ball over four times. Who knows how many more they score without the mistakes.

It's convenient to characterize turnovers as "mistakes".

The WVU-LSU game was a six point game late in the third quarter...

WVU lost by 26 pts.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Don't try to act like LSU dominated that game from the beginning. Like I said, with around a minute to go in the third quarter it was a six point game.

Sea Ray
11-07-2011, 03:49 PM
I agree that Alabama is a great team. They are a top 5-7 team in my book. I just don't think it's fair to place them ahead of an undefeated Oklahoma State or Stanford at the end of the season.

Why? Because they lost to a team that OSU and Stanford never played? I understand what you're saying but I'm not ready to go there yet

jojo
11-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Don't try to act like LSU dominated that game from the beginning. Like I said, with around a minute to go in the third quarter it was a six point game.

LSU led 27 to 7 at the half. Geno tried to give people a reason to watch a few more minutes with a couple quick scores but LSU popped the fairy tail bubble with a kick off return before again dominating the game in the 4th quarter.

Was there really any stretch of this game where it looked like WVU could win?

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2011, 04:53 PM
LSU led 27 to 7 at the half. Geno tried to give people a reason to watch a few more minutes with a couple quick scores but LSU popped the fairy tail bubble with a kick off return before again dominating the game in the 4th quarter.

Was there really any stretch of this game where it looked like WVU could win?

Yes, when it was a six point game late in the third quarter.

jojo
11-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Yes, when it was a six point game late in the third quarter.

For all of 1 second?

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2011, 05:11 PM
What part of my last post didn't you understand?

Even at a two touchdown deficit the game still felt winnable with the way WVU was moving the ball.

jojo
11-07-2011, 05:17 PM
What part of my last post did you not understand?

It was a 6 pt game for all of 1 play.

I'm not sure you actually watched the game.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm not sure you actually watched the game.

What a coincidence, because I was thinking the same thing about you.

jojo
11-07-2011, 05:28 PM
What a coincidence, because I was thinking the same thing about you.

You're the one claiming a 26 pt win by LSU and Oregon's failure to rush for 100 yards against the Tigers' defense exposes LSU. That's a tortured narrative.

You know what happened after Geno came within 6?

LSU returned a kickoff for a TD. The LSU defense forced a turnover on downs. LSU jammed the ball down WVU's throats for a TD. LSU's defense forced a fumble. LSU jammed the ball down WVU's throats for a TD. In other words, more of the same owing two drives by Geno in the third quarter.

jojo
11-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Houston Nutt is out at Ole Miss....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7202990/houston-nutt-mississippi-rebels-resign-end-season

Sea Ray
11-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Houston Nutt is out at Ole Miss....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7202990/houston-nutt-mississippi-rebels-resign-end-season

That sure didn't work out

Sea Ray
11-07-2011, 06:16 PM
You're the one claiming a 26 pt win by LSU and Oregon's failure to rush for 100 yards against the Tigers' defense exposes LSU. That's a tortured narrative.

LSU has played the hardest schedule in the country, they're undefeated and some folks are trying to poke holes in their season. That is tortured indeed.

BuckeyeRed27
11-07-2011, 06:32 PM
LSU has played the hardest schedule in the country, they're undefeated and some folks are trying to poke holes in their season. That is tortured indeed.

I think there is a difference between poking holes in their season and looking at where potential weakness is and how LSU might be beaten.

LSU is absolutely the #1 team in the country and because of a great schedule have proven that on the field through the first 10-11 weeks of the season.

Sea Ray
11-07-2011, 06:33 PM
No question LSU's beatable as are all the college teams this year

jojo
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Bama fans are crowing that they are the better team and essentially have assumed a victory in their "inevitable" BCS game rematch but this weekend's game is a potential trap game for Bama.

dabvu2498
11-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Bama fans are crowing that they are the better team and essentially have assumed a victory in their "inevitable" BCS game rematch but this weekend's game is a potential trap game for Bama.

It's for that reason alone, I will be rooting for Okie State the rest of the way.

dougdirt
11-08-2011, 12:20 AM

I am with them, if the game happens. I don't think the game will happen, but if they played again and I had to bet money, I would put it on Alabama and wouldn't have to think twice about it.

Slyder
11-08-2011, 12:47 AM
I am with them, if the game happens. I don't think the game will happen, but if they played again and I had to bet money, I would put it on Alabama and wouldn't have to think twice about it.

You can't put Alabama a team who already had a shot in the title game if you have Okie State or Stanford sitting undefeated with challenges from Oklahoma and Oregon left on the schedule. If you had a contest on what the matchup would be I would say Stanford vs LSU for the title (I don't think Okie St plays any defense and that will hurt them somewhere).

It would be almost the ultimate brains vs brawn matchup.

dougdirt
11-08-2011, 11:20 AM
You can't put Alabama a team who already had a shot in the title game if you have Okie State or Stanford sitting undefeated with challenges from Oklahoma and Oregon left on the schedule. If you had a contest on what the matchup would be I would say Stanford vs LSU for the title (I don't think Okie St plays any defense and that will hurt them somewhere).

It would be almost the ultimate brains vs brawn matchup.

I agree with what you said. My post was if the rematch happened, what I would do. The only way a rematch happens is if both Stanford and Oklahoma State lose.

dabvu2498
11-08-2011, 11:31 AM
I agree with what you said. My post was if the rematch happened, what I would do. The only way a rematch happens is if both Stanford and Oklahoma State lose.

Which, sadly, I think will happen (Oregon and Oklahoma, respectively).

At which point, I will be all for an LSU-Boise game. (Assuming Boise wins out.)

WMR
11-10-2011, 02:47 AM
Reading some of the responses to the LSU/Bama game in this thread make me feel a bit bemused.

I saw that game as an amazing slugfest between two true heavyweights of college football. Both have exploitable flaws, but that was an amazing struggle with incredible athletes all over the field.

gonelong
11-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Reading some of the responses to the LSU/Bama game in this thread make me feel a bit bemused.

I saw that game as an amazing slugfest between two true heavyweights of college football. Both have exploitable flaws, but that was an amazing struggle with incredible athletes all over the field.

I enjoyed the game, but it's not what I would want to watch on a weekly basis.

GL

Chip R
11-10-2011, 05:05 PM
I enjoyed the game, but it's not what I would want to watch on a weekly basis.

GL

No but fans complain about how no one plays defense any more and then when there's a game like that they say it's boring. Just no pleasing some people.

jojo
11-20-2011, 11:05 AM
What a tragic weekend for the BCS.... Now it looks like it's up to Auburn to maintain the integrity of the national championship.

Todd Gack
11-20-2011, 11:38 AM
What a tragic weekend for the BCS.... Now it looks like it's up to Auburn to maintain the integrity of the national championship.

Don't worry, at some point they'll further screw up CFB by instituting a playoff too.

jojo
11-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Don't worry, at some point they'll further screw up CFB by instituting a playoff too.

If LSU ends up with one loss, there could be no team with an airtight argument or being in the BCS championship game....

dabvu2498
11-26-2011, 07:28 PM

It's going to happen a lot faster than I thought it would.

James Franklin is a coaching god.

So happy for those seniors. Especially Larry Smith. Love that kid.
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111111/SPORTS0602/311110077/Vandy-seniors-plan-end-careers-record-style

dabvu2498
12-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Les Miles is pretty funny:

http://youtu.be/afE3ZRG0_bw

dabvu2498
12-13-2011, 09:15 PM
I literally howled as I read this:

http://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2011/12/13/2633050/the-sec-as-muppets

KronoRed
12-13-2011, 10:55 PM
That is pretty good :lol:

jojo
12-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Apparently Bama fans are upset that people acoss the country are calling the championship game a "rematch". The only reason I can think of to explain this reaction is that by calling the title game a rematch it implies the Tide actually lost the first game.

Anyway the Allstate DoOver Bowl ought to be epic.

VottoFan54
12-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Apparently Bama fans are upset that people acoss the country are calling the championship game a "rematch". The only reason I can think of to explain this reaction is that by calling the title game a rematch it implies the Tide actually lost the first game.

Anyway the Allstate DoOver Bowl ought to be epic.

As a Bama fan, I don't have a problem with people calling the game a rematch, because it is a rematch. I do find tweets like this annoying though (this was from Dennis Dodd):

I may be releasing the hounds but there is no question boise could beat Alabama. Not sure about broncs beating lsu.

Really? Boise State proved they could beat Bama because they just got done beating a 6-6 Arizona State team? Comments like the one quoted above from so-called experts are just stupid.

jojo
01-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Auburn just made a grand slam hire at defensive coordinator in Brian VanGorder....he's a perfect fit.....I don't think they could've made a better hire.....

jojo
01-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Looks like recently departed Auburn DC, Ted Roof will be the new DC at Linebacker U. I think that's a good fit hire as well.

Oxilon
01-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Field goals, field goals, and more field goals. Who didn't see this coming?

jojo
01-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Field goals, field goals, and more field goals. Who didn't see this coming?

Ya, this game is a huge yawner.

dabvu2498
01-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Ya, this game is a huge yawner.

Jordan Jefferson is not a good QB.

Oxilon
01-09-2012, 11:38 PM

LOL Yeah. That INT or whatever you want to call it was pathetic. Les has to bench him after that. Especially considering he hasn't done anything yet.

dabvu2498
01-09-2012, 11:42 PM
LOL Yeah. That INT or whatever you want to call it was pathetic. Les has to bench him after that. Especially considering he hasn't done anything yet.

Negative. And the LSU faithful are displeased.

dabvu2498
01-09-2012, 11:47 PM
3rd down just isn't happening in this game.

jojo
01-09-2012, 11:50 PM

He looks scared. I've often wondered how teams could fail to show up for the most important game of their sport. I think the only guy whose shown up for LSU is their punter. But ya, Lee shouldve been in the huddle midway through the second quarter.

Oxilon
01-10-2012, 12:01 AM
I really don't like either of these teams, but I still wanted to watch a good game. It's getting to the point where I might just turn this game off. 4th quarters and no TDs. Heck, there's been only a couple long passes.

Roy Tucker
01-10-2012, 12:04 AM

Yeah, I don't get Miles' staying with him. Alabama's defense is awfully tough, but Jefferson certainly doesn't have his mojo going.

gonelong
01-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. FG Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. FG Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. FG Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. FG Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. FG Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger. Honey Badger.

I am not sure whether to tear off my ears or gouge out my eyes at this point.

Roy Tucker
01-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Brent Mooseburger is getting all orgasmic about 'Bama.

KronoRed
01-10-2012, 12:15 AM
I know it's going to be said a million times how great a defensive game this was, but it's not, LSU couldn't score on Akron tonight.

Terrible game, bad for the college football and the SEC.

jojo
01-10-2012, 12:17 AM
I know it's going to be said a million times how great a defensive game this was, but it's not, LSU couldn't score on Akron tonight.

Terrible game, bad for the college football and the SEC.

This is a choke job of historic proportions.... At least there won't be a split championship.

Stray
01-10-2012, 12:19 AM
How in the heck Jordan Jefferson stayed in for this entire game is beyond me.

Oxilon
01-10-2012, 12:25 AM
How in the heck Jordan Jefferson stayed in for this entire game is beyond me.

That's what I thought. Than ABC showed his career stat line against Alabama and it made Jefferson look like Dan Marino.

dabvu2498
01-10-2012, 12:27 AM
I'd be scared of Bama's front 7, too.

texasdave
01-10-2012, 12:28 AM
That certainly was worth the wait. Not.

dougdirt
01-10-2012, 12:36 AM

I am the smartest man alive! :laugh:

Roy Tucker
01-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Alabama's defense was very good, but LSU was flatter than a pancake.

Miles was waiting for an emotional spark, but Alabama just kept their foot on LSU's neck all night. I'm sure Crimson Tide fans are happy, but that was a lousy game to watch. I'm refinishing my kitchen table and watching the polyurethane dry was about equal to the ballgame.

Ohayou
01-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Even if I were an SEC homer, I'd never want to see that game again.

Boston Red
01-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Miles must have let Steve Kragthorpe do the game planning for this one.

RANDY IN INDY
01-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Defensive dominance. I loved it. Tired of watching teams that go up and down the field in arena football style. Loved watching the speed, strength, and dominance of the Bama defense.

LoganBuck
01-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Alabama earned it on the field.

I don't like the system that forced LSU, to beat a team, play a conference championship game, and then beat that team again.

jojo
01-10-2012, 09:37 AM

I don't like the system that forced LSU, to beat a team, play a conference championship game, and then beat that team again.

The silver lining might be that there might be enough groundswell from this one to see some meaningful changes to the system because the thing that is worse than controversy is making people wait for a dud...

Scrap Irony
01-10-2012, 09:38 AM
I enjoyed the game. How many hard hits were there last night? 150? Loved that aggressive style.

As a former HS coach, those defenses, particularly 'Bama's, were exactly what you can do when you have limited offensive talent. (It galled me to type that, knowing full well Richardson is the best RB in CFB. But the fact is, Bama has one receiver who can catch, run a route, and beat defenders, plus Richardson. Everything else is well below average, as to a BCS team.)

Defense wins championships.

The two best teams in college football were on that field last night. During March Madness, no one rails against a final game that pits Duke against North Carolina. No one would bat an eye. (Aside from Kentucky fans, perhaps.) Why is it different here?

Slyder
01-10-2012, 09:46 AM
I enjoyed the game. How many hard hits were there last night? 150? Loved that aggressive style.

As a former HS coach, those defenses, particularly 'Bama's, were exactly what you can do when you have limited offensive talent. (It galled me to type that, knowing full well Richardson is the best RB in CFB. But the fact is, Bama has one receiver who can catch, run a route, and beat defenders, plus Richardson. Everything else is well below average, as to a BCS team.)

Defense wins championships.

The two best teams in college football were on that field last night. During March Madness, no one rails against a final game that pits Duke against North Carolina. No one would bat an eye. (Aside from Kentucky fans, perhaps.) Why is it different here?

Because they would have had to beat 5 other teams in order to get to that point and not have it handed to them by the BSPN hype machine. I tried to watch part of it but the ineptitude of both offenses disgusted me to the point that I couldn't watch. Jared Lee should have been in there at the LATEST the 2nd quarter and at least given LSU a CHANCE.You saw the defensive dominance because both offenses were just THAT HORRIBLE.

Stick Andrew Luck, Geno Smith, Case Kennum, or any even an AVERAGE qb on EITHER team and you're looking at a blood bath.

WVRed
01-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Apples and asparagus.

March Madness has a tournament format. If Duke and UNC made it to the National Championship, it would be because they had to beat teams along the way to make it that far. The BCS is rankings based and has been criticized ever since its been put into play.

I loved the game as well. The SEC is hands down the best conference in all of college football. Nothing against the Big Ten or Big 12, but the SEC is just that dominant. It's better than trying to watch the Orange Bowl or Rose Bowl where it looks like an Arena League game.

dabvu2498
01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Stick Andrew Luck, Geno Smith, Case Kennum, or any even an AVERAGE qb on EITHER team and you're looking at a blood bath.

Disagree with this. McCarron was pretty darn good last night and still the best they could manage was 5 FGs and a garbage time touchdown.

And Jefferson was bad... About as bad as a QB can be... Yet I doubt that any of the "elite" offenses in the country would have put up 3 TDs on the Bama defense.

Let's not forget, the Bama D gave up 9 total touchdowns all year.

Slyder
01-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Disagree with this. McCarron was pretty darn good last night and still the best they could manage was 5 FGs and a garbage time touchdown.

And Jefferson was bad... About as bad as a QB can be... Yet I doubt that any of the "elite" offenses in the country would have put up 3 TDs on the Bama defense.

What legitimate qb did Alabama have to gameplan for the entire season? Looking at their schedule do you even see ONE guy who MIGHT get to do more than hold a clipboard at the next level? I don't.

Chip R
01-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Rematches happen. The NY Giants lost to NE in the regular season and beat them in the Super Bowl. No one's doubting the legitimacy of that championship. When Villanova beat Georgetown in the NCAA finals, they lost to them twice earlier that season.

This is the system that we have. I don't like the fact that there is no playoff but no one seems to want to change it that badly.

Sea Ray
01-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Rematches happen. The NY Giants lost to NE in the regular season and beat them in the Super Bowl. No one's doubting the legitimacy of that championship. When Villanova beat Georgetown in the NCAA finals, they lost to them twice earlier that season.

This is the system that we have. I don't like the fact that there is no playoff but no one seems to want to change it that badly.

The difference is in the NCAA basketball and NFL systems teams had to win their way through a playoff in order to earn those rematches. No computer annointed them a shot at a rematch

Slyder
01-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Apples to Oranges.

Rematches that are EARNED happened. Alabama didn't beat anyone to earn the rematch they were given the rematch by computers and voters. Even a plus 1 kills any disputes people like me would have. But because there isn't a number of teams aren't going to get a chance because it was just assumed who the best two were.

dabvu2498
01-10-2012, 11:12 AM
What legitimate qb did Alabama have to gameplan for the entire season? Looking at their schedule do you even see ONE guy who MIGHT get to do more than hold a clipboard at the next level? I don't.

Tyler Wilson, perhaps. Arkansas certainly had a legitimate offense.

And let's not forget that LSU scored 35+ points in all but 3 games.

And if we're talking about future NFL starters, then we narrowed the pool quite a bit. What, maybe 3-4 in all of college football???

Slyder
01-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Tyler Wilson, perhaps. Arkansas certainly had a legitimate offense.

And let's not forget that LSU scored 35+ points in all but 3 games.

And if we're talking about future NFL starters, then we narrowed the pool quite a bit. What, maybe 3-4 in all of college football???

Wilson was why I worded it like I did. How many of those points came with short fields thanks to the defense and/or special teams? I know against WVU at least 4 scores came from turnovers, shank punts, or long returns.

LSU always asked Jefferson and Lee to not lose the game, they never were asked to win a game.

dougdirt
01-10-2012, 11:30 AM

So you don't like the NFL system? I am sure a team has beaten a team in the regular season, only to go on to lose to them in the Super Bowl.

dougdirt
01-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Because they would have had to beat 5 other teams in order to get to that point and not have it handed to them by the BSPN hype machine. I tried to watch part of it but the ineptitude of both offenses disgusted me to the point that I couldn't watch. Jared Lee should have been in there at the LATEST the 2nd quarter and at least given LSU a CHANCE.You saw the defensive dominance because both offenses were just THAT HORRIBLE.

Alabama, outside of two games against LSU, averaged 38.7 points this year. LUS, outside of two games against Alabama, averaged 41 points this year.

The defenses are that good. It didn't have much to do with the offenses. No team was going to beat Alabama last night, at least not one with college players.

dougdirt
01-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Apples to Oranges.

Rematches that are EARNED happened. Alabama didn't beat anyone to earn the rematch they were given the rematch by computers and voters. Even a plus 1 kills any disputes people like me would have. But because there isn't a number of teams aren't going to get a chance because it was just assumed who the best two were.

Alabama beat everyone on their schedule except LSU, in which they took to overtime.

No one else had a better argument except LSU, because they beat everyone on their schedule.

At the end of the day, I think people are more upset because they don't like the style of play between the two teams rather than thinking someone else was one of the best two teams in the country.

IslandRed
01-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Defensive dominance. I loved it. Tired of watching teams that go up and down the field in arena football style. Loved watching the speed, strength, and dominance of the Bama defense.

I prefer the happy-medium approach where both teams have a pulse on both sides of the ball, but that's just me. :p

After the first game, I wrote that both offenses -- like the old Nebraska offenses under Tom Osborne -- were completely predicated on being physically superior to the other team's defense. Which they are, in almost all cases. But when they ran up against a team that could stand toe-to-toe, they had no answers, which is why the first game was so ugly. Last night was mostly more of the same, but given time to prepare, Alabama found enough answers to move the ball. LSU still had nothing.

Slyder
01-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Alabama beat everyone on their schedule except LSU, in which they took to overtime.

No one else had a better argument except LSU, because they beat everyone on their schedule.

At the end of the day, I think people are more upset because they don't like the style of play between the two teams rather than thinking someone else was one of the best two teams in the country.

Oklahoma St. Would argue they would:

Their schedule:
Big 12 was the Sagarin #1 rated conference almost throughout the season.
Beat 6 bowl teams and that was just their conference schedule. Alabama beat 3 teams with winning records (before the bowl, didn't play Georgia or Spurrier Ball the only 2 teams in the SEC East worth a crap this year).
DOMINATED #13 Oklahoma to offset any bump from Alabama beat Arkansas.

Lost on the road who had 6 losses all to ranked teams, Alabama lost at home.

Alabama had already played LSU and lost. You penalized LSU by making them play an additional game and then again by playing a team they already beat during the season, since that is "suppose" to be the playoff according to the BcS defenders.

To say no one else had a resume that merited being in the BcS title game is wrong.

dougdirt
01-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Their schedule:
Beat 6 bowl teams and that was just their conference schedule. Alabama beat 3 teams with winning records (before the bowl, didn't play Georgia or Spurrier Ball the only 2 teams in the SEC East worth a crap this year).

Alabama had already played LSU and lost. You penalized LSU by making them play an additional game and then again by playing a team they already beat during the season, since that is "suppose" to be the playoff according to the BcS defenders.

To say no one else had a resume that merited being in the BcS title game is wrong.

I didn't say no one else had a resume to merit them being in the game. I said, although maybe didn't state it well, that no one had a better argument based on it being "earned" by beating teams on the field as implied by you in the previous post.

I honestly believe that Oklahoma State had a better resume when solely looking at who they beat. I fully believe, without a shadow of a doubt, and have believed it for months, that Alabama is the best team in the country.

My contention is that if the BCS is supposed to place the two best teams up against one another, then it did that job this season. Like everyone else, sans the bowl chairmen and presidents, I want an on the field playoff like every other sport and even every other division of college football has (which is why the idea that "we can't do that because of school/Christmas break/any other excuse to keep lining their pockets with cash is a huge joke).

Chip R
01-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Apples to Oranges.

But that's the system we have and apparantly most people want. Oklahoma State could have wound up in the title game if they had just taken care of business in Ames. A 3 point loss to an undefeated LSU looks a lot better than a 6 point loss to a mediocre Iowa State.

RANDY IN INDY
01-10-2012, 12:48 PM
But that's the system we have and apparantly most people want. Oklahoma State could have wound up in the title game if they had just taken care of business in Ames. A 3 point loss to an undefeated LSU looks a lot better than a 6 point loss to a mediocre Iowa State.

Ain't that the truth.

Sea Ray
01-10-2012, 01:07 PM

Their schedule:

What are you arguing, that Okla St and not Alabama should have plastered LSU? Alabama did nothing yesterday to show that they didn't belong

KronoRed
01-10-2012, 03:49 PM

Me either, but that's what the fabled playoff system would get us.

It also shows that loading up your OOC schedule is a waste of time, LSU took down the Big East and Pac12 champs, Alabama had a middle tier big 10 team, what good did that do LSU?

jojo
01-10-2012, 03:57 PM

I don't remember McCarron making a bad decision the whole night. Both teams are essentially equal talent-wise at least if one has an advantage it's mostly a push. That said LSU was outcoached to the nth extreme and Bama executed. That's last night's narrative IMHO.

dabvu2498
01-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Me either, but that's what the fabled playoff system would get us.

It also shows that loading up your OOC schedule is a waste of time, LSU took down the Big East and Pac12 champs, Alabama had a middle tier big 10 team, what good did that do LSU?

The Tigers (13-1) wound up beating the teams that won the BCS championship (Alabama), Rose Bowl (Oregon), Orange Bowl (West Virginia), Cotton Bowl (Arkansas), Chick-fil-A Bowl (Auburn), Gator Bowl (Florida) and Music City Bowl (Mississippi State). They also beat the loser of the Outback Bowl (Georgia).

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/jan/10/bama-leads-after-one-quarter/

LSU screwed up by winning the 1st game. If they'd gotten beat, they'd have been the ones sitting around, chewing on nails for a month and a half. Instead, they looked tired and scared.

jojo
01-11-2012, 02:20 PM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/jan/10/bama-leads-after-one-quarter/

LSU screwed up by winning the 1st game. If they'd gotten beat, they'd have been the ones sitting around, chewing on nails for a month and a half. Instead, they looked tired and scared.

LSU had something to lose. Bama had something to win.

dougdirt
01-11-2012, 09:29 PM
LSU had something to lose. Bama had something to win.

Well that and Alabama was simply the better team both times they played.

jojo
01-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Well that and Alabama was simply the better team both times they played.

The first game was basically a statistical push and Bama lost. They weren't the better team in Tuscaloosa.

dougdirt
01-11-2012, 10:43 PM
The first game was basically a statistical push and Bama lost. They weren't the better team in Tuscaloosa.

Disagree there. The game I watched had Alabama dominating that game, but their kicker couldn't get anything done.

RANDY IN INDY
01-13-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm with Doug. I came away feeling like Alabama was the better team in both contests.

jojo
01-16-2012, 02:21 PM
You've been processed....

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/01/15/nick-saban-tells-star-atlanta-rb-to-wait-until-next-year-to-sign-with-alabama/

Justin Taylor of North Atlanta High School has been committed to Alabama for nearly a year, last February becoming the No. 7 pledge for this year’s class.

“Coach Saban just said I’m the 26th commitment. I would be the 26th signee. I guess he went and picked up somebody else. He said I make 26 and they only get 25. They talked about bringing me in next January.” [Note: Alabama has 27 commitments]

Actually, from what I can tell, Bama came in 3 under last season and can sign 28 with this class... Saban was committed to him until Saban wasn't committed to him...

Scrap Irony
01-16-2012, 02:24 PM
You mean big-time college coaches don't tell recruits the whole truth?

Scrap Irony
01-16-2012, 02:28 PM
What's really interesting in that story is the following quote:

What will do you do this fall?
“He said I’m going to stay in Georgia. They are going to find me a job. I’m going to work. I’m going to physical therapy at least seven days per week. I guess I will work, go to physical therapy and get strong … I will come in with the class of 2013. I’ll get there with the early group so I can do winter workouts and spring football.”

BTW, the kid had a knee injury his senior year and isn't likely gong to be ready in the fall. He also still wants to go to Alabama.

Personally, I'd go somewhere else-- like Western Kentucky University. ;) I've heard that campus is beautiful and you could start the first day you arrived!

jojo
01-16-2012, 02:42 PM
What's really interesting in that story is the following quote:

BTW, the kid had a knee injury his senior year and isn't likely gong to be ready in the fall. He also still wants to go to Alabama.

Personally, I'd go somewhere else-- like Western Kentucky University. ;) I've heard that campus is beautiful and you could start the first day you arrived!

His HS coach probably needs a lesson in being an advocate too....

jojo
01-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Posted more for amusement than anything else (i.e. take this for what it's worth which probably isn't much)...

http://neworleansrising.wordpress.com/2012/01/13/is-there-smoke-is-there-another-reason-why-lsu-lost/

jojo
01-16-2012, 07:06 PM
You mean big-time college coaches don't tell recruits the whole truth?

This is particularly cutthroat though....

RiverRat13
01-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Not sure where else to put this so I'll post it here. Interesting look at the way the media covers college football. Joe Schad is a joke.

http://deadspin.com/5855433/am-i-sick-are-we-all-sick-overwrought-things-the-media-wrote-to-auburns-pr-guy-during-cam-newtons-wild-2010-season

texasdave
01-19-2012, 09:49 AM
I’m going to physical therapy at least seven days per week.

:eek: Just how many days do they have in a week down there?

dabvu2498
01-31-2012, 10:17 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7512012/top-college-football-talent-comes-south-shift-more-even-distribution-decades-ago

jojo
02-02-2012, 02:52 PM
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20120202/SPORTS04/202020351/Commentary-Chizik-s-classiness-shows-up-Saban

For years, Saban has treated college football like a cutthroat business. He's skirted recruiting rules, danced around scholarship limitations and been surrounded by more career ending injuries to third-string players than any coach in the history of organized athletics.

gonelong
02-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Good for Auburn. I think it is the right thing to do. Many in the B1G went that route as well

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7528614/some-big-ten-offering-4-year-scholarships

Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Illinois confirmed to ESPN.com that they have given out four-year scholarships to this class. Ohio State and Nebraska also confirmed on signing day that they are giving out scholarships that no longer have to be renewed annually. Purdue, Indiana and Minnesota are still awarding one-year renewable grants.

GL

VottoFan54
02-03-2012, 09:07 PM
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20120202/SPORTS04/202020351/Commentary-Chizik-s-classiness-shows-up-Saban

I don't know all the details of what happened with Philon but, Auburn isn't exactly innocent either.

http://www2.oanow.com/m/blogs/aublog/2011/jun/06/oversigning-and-sec-look-numbers-ar-1931873/

A perusal of Rivals.com's signee reports from the past decade shows that five SEC teams have signed an average of more than 25 players a year.

And guess who's in the lead? Auburn, at 27.5 signees a year. Followed by South Carolina (27.4), Mississippi State (26.9), Arkansas (26.7) and Ole Miss (26.3).

Here's that info in list form, if you're partial to that:

1. Auburn -- 27.5
2. South Carolina -- 27.4
3. Mississippi State -- 26.9
4. Arkansas -- 26.7
5. Ole Miss -- 26.3
League Average -- 25.03
6. Alabama -- 24.9
7. Kentucky -- 24.7
8. LSU -- 24.5
9. Tennessee -- 24.4
10. Georgia -- 23.2
11. Florida -- 22.7
12. Vanderbilt -- 21.1

jojo
02-03-2012, 09:24 PM
I don't know all the details of what happened with Philon but, Auburn isn't exactly innocent either.

http://www2.oanow.com/m/blogs/aublog/2011/jun/06/oversigning-and-sec-look-numbers-ar-1931873/

If you read further, you'll also see that Auburn had roster spots to fill...that's not over signing in the sense you're arguing "guilt"....

Saban broke his promise to Philon because Saban signed too many players.

VottoFan54
02-04-2012, 12:01 AM
If you read further, you'll also see that Auburn had roster spots to fill...that's not over signing in the sense you're arguing "guilt"....

Saban broke his promise to Philon because Saban signed too many players.

There is a reason why Auburn has to fill more spots than every other school in the SEC, mostly disciplinary issues. The first article you posted by Josh Moon seemed to indicate that Auburn far exceeds Alabama in class, but they can't seem to retain players. Alabama retains 12% more players than Auburn yet Alabama is the one that makes up injuries to third string players?

As for the Darius Philon story, there are sources that say he was informed about the possibility of a grayshirt as early as December. You are only going to get one side of the story on this, Saban has never been a guy to argue with the media and I doubt he is going to start now. What is Saban supposed to do right now if Philon is lying about the timing of the grayshirt? He would probably be better off just letting it go than calling Philon out on it.

jojo
02-04-2012, 07:45 AM
There is a reason why Auburn has to fill more spots than every other school in the SEC, mostly disciplinary issues. The first article you posted by Josh Moon seemed to indicate that Auburn far exceeds Alabama in class, but they can't seem to retain players. Alabama retains 12% more players than Auburn yet Alabama is the one that makes up injuries to third string players?

As for the Darius Philon story, there are sources that say he was informed about the possibility of a grayshirt as early as December. You are only going to get one side of the story on this, Saban has never been a guy to argue with the media and I doubt he is going to start now. What is Saban supposed to do right now if Philon is lying about the timing of the grayshirt? He would probably be better off just letting it go than calling Philon out on it.

The fact that Saban even suggested grey shirting is the end of the story...no other side is needed. Clearly Saban is violating the spirit of the rules and he isn't erroring on the side of the kids. Saban's defense is that he told Philon that he might need to "greyshirt"? Philon isnt exactly a sophisticated kid by the way. Saban also told him to not go on any other official visits after Philon committed to Bama.

The first article compares the Saban era with the Chizik era. Also, the NCAA just investigated Auburn for 13 months and completly exonerated their program. That's not to say Bama is dirty, but we know Chizik is not. Also what do you think the odds are that Saban would suspend his best player and essentially dismiss him from the team for a violation of team rules? There are alot of reasons for Auburn fans to be proud of how Chizik and company conduct their business..it looks like Auburn is doing it the right way.

The retention data you're quoting spans a decade. Clearly Tuberville had some issues especially leading up to his demise. This year Auburn had to give significant playing time to 20+ freshman because tuberville's last few recruiting classes were essentially missing. But if you want historical context too, in the last 18 years, Bama has only been OFF of probation roughly a year and a couple of months. Since the 90's, Bama has had to forfeit or vacate 29 wins. That's 29 compared to 0 for Auburn.

RiverRat13
02-07-2012, 09:50 AM
http://outkickthecoverage.com/trent-richardson-and-alabama-teammates-sign-autographs-for-disassociated-booster-tom-albetar.php

jojo
02-07-2012, 10:58 AM
http://outkickthecoverage.com/trent-richardson-and-alabama-teammates-sign-autographs-for-disassociated-booster-tom-albetar.php

This is definately a guy that Bama needs to "watch out" for.... He makes money on the players and seems to thrive on the cheaply bought nobility he gets from the association... He's exactly the type of booster that causes the special benefits problems and a letter from Bama really isn't going to be enough to brush it under the rug if he gets caught doing something... they've been on probation too much and the NCAA has been ramping up their punishments.

The guy seems like a shyster all around:
http://chrisleckness.com/2012/01/21/the-t-town-gallery-alabama-autograph-event-was-a-terrible-experience-for-my-son-and-i/

Scrap Irony
02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
This is definately a guy that Bama needs to "watch out" for.... He makes money on the players and seems to thrive on the cheaply bought nobility he gets from the association... He's exactly the type of booster that causes the special benefits problems and a letter from Bama really isn't going to be enough to brush it under the rug if he gets caught doing something... they've been on probation too much and the NCAA has been ramping up their punishments.

The guy seems like a shyster all around:
http://chrisleckness.com/2012/01/21/the-t-town-gallery-alabama-autograph-event-was-a-terrible-experience-for-my-son-and-i/

Definitely agree that Alabama would be wise to watch out for Albetar, but the article itself is really weak. Of course kids are going to go sign for money once their eligibility is up-- if you're (likely) not getting paid and wanted some extra cash, wouldn't you know where to get it?

It's not illegal, after all, even by NCAA standards to do so.

Too, it's not illegal, as per NCAA standards, for Albetar to contact said players to ask if they wanted a job after their eligibility is up.

As to the second article, meh. Sour grapes about autographs, for God's sake. From his own recap:

* My son disappointed in his chance to meet Trent Richardson.
* I am disappointed in the quality of my prize for waiting for 3 hours and dropping $300.
* There was no interaction with the players we were paying to get autographs from, or very little.
* There were not enough items to purchase for autographs in stock.
* The event started late making it seem like things were more rushed than it should have been.
* I felt as if I paid to be treated as if we were an inconvenience to the players and store staff.

jojo
02-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Definitely agree that Alabama would be wise to watch out for Albetar, but the article itself is really weak. Of course kids are going to go sign for money once their eligibility is up-- if you're (likely) not getting paid and wanted some extra cash, wouldn't you know where to get it?

It's not illegal, after all, even by NCAA standards to do so.

Too, it's not illegal, as per NCAA standards, for Albetar to contact said players to ask if they wanted a job after their eligibility is up.

As to the second article, meh. Sour grapes about autographs, for God's sake. From his own recap:

I'm not arguing there is any proof of anything here. But all of the elements are there for a perfect storm... The booster who was selling so much signed swagged that Alabama was forced to send the "lawyer" letter which obviously didn't have much effect. Saban's recruiting scruples (or lack thereof) that always has him one step ahead of a new rule... Disgruntled players losing scholarships because of "medical" issues..

All that is missing is a disgruntled player who also overlapped with the rogue booster.... If I was a Bama, fan, this is a guy who would be in my nightmares.

Scrap Irony
02-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Meh.

All programs have boosters who should be watched closely.

All big programs have boosters that also have figured out how to make a livelihood off student-athletes that the NCAA also takes advantage of. (It analogous to the sucker fish that hang onto the shark and grab their food from the detritus the sharks tear through.)

Most big-time programs also play the magical scholarship game too. (Though, to be fair, it seems as if some in the Big Ten have agreed to make scholarships a four-year rule, rather than one-year possibility. Good for them.)

Just sayin', you'll find this same cat in Lexington, Baton Rouge, Los Angeles, Flint, Durham, and Chapel Hill. They did find him in Columbus. Twice.

VottoFan54
02-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Bill Rice's rebuttal to a previously linked article by Josh Moon:

http://rolltidemedia.wordpress.com/2012/02/10/column-attacking-nick-saban-for-lack-of-class-lacks-class/

KronoRed
02-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Looks like an awkward family photo.
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7107/518621754.jpg

jojo
02-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Looks like an awkward family photo.
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7107/518621754.jpg

Chizik wore his shoulder out with all of the positive first pumping in the air....

dabvu2498
02-16-2012, 09:19 PM
That's a great picture on so many levels.

Level 1: Spurrier's facial expression.

Level 2: Petrino's turtleneck.

Level 3: I bet Les was shocked as hell when Gary Pinkel and Kevin Sumlin showed up and he found out A+M and Mizzou were coming into the conference.

Level 4: Gary Pinkel. Period.

And on and on.

Is Will Muschamp wearing leather?

KronoRed
02-17-2012, 01:57 AM
Is Will Muschamp wearing leather?

Oh yeah, all he needs now are black sunglasses.

Chizik looks like he wants to sell me something from inside his jacket.

jojo
07-07-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm sure everyone knows that Georgia's stud back Isaiah Crowley has been dismissed from the team after a traffic stop that didn't go well for him. Crowley has matriculated about 75 miles west (from his hometown) to play for the powerhouse Alabama State Hornets in their brand new stadium nestled in historic Montgomery, Alabama.

Now the quasi interesting part (that Crowley finally did something that forced Richts' hand was just a matter of time)... Part of the saga that is the fall out is a testy facebook exchange between Georgia outside linebacker, Cornelious Washington and his "pal", long time Bulldog supporter, Bobby.

A transcript of the exchange can be found here:

http://m.redandblack.com/mobile/blogs/bulldog-player-s-vent-about-reaction-to-crowell-gets-scathing/article_2b0be33a-c6c0-11e1-9696-0019bb30f31a.html

Enjoy.

rdiersin
07-07-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm sure everyone knows that Georgia's stud back Isaiah Crowley has been dismissed from the team after a traffic stop that didn't go well for him. Crowley has matriculated about 75 miles west (from his hometown) to play for the powerhouse Alabama State Hornets in their brand new stadium nestled in historic Montgomery, Alabama.

Now the quasi interesting part (that Crowley finally did something that forced Richts' hand was just a matter of time)... Part of the saga that is the fall out is a testy facebook exchange between Georgia outside linebacker, Cornelious Washington and his "pal", long time Bulldog supporter, Bobby.

A transcript of the exchange can be found here:

http://m.redandblack.com/mobile/blogs/bulldog-player-s-vent-about-reaction-to-crowell-gets-scathing/article_2b0be33a-c6c0-11e1-9696-0019bb30f31a.html

Enjoy.

Thanks for posting that. That is one quality rant there.

jojo
08-10-2012, 07:08 PM
LSU kicks the Honey Badger off of their team....

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205576641

It's popular for fans of some conferences to suggest the SEC is good because of an anything goes attitude.

Well how many conferences have told players like Dyer, Crowell and Mathieu to take a hike unless they were trying to appease eminent NCAA sactioneers (and even then)?

paintmered
08-10-2012, 07:35 PM

It's popular for fans of some conferences to suggest the SEC is good because of an anything goes attitude.

Well how many conferences have told players like Dyer, Crowell and Mathieu to take a hike unless they were trying to appease eminent NCAA sactioneers (and even then)?

The rumors are that he failed seven drug tests.

jojo
08-10-2012, 08:32 PM

That's the assumption that it's drug-related.

RiverRat13
08-10-2012, 08:34 PM

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/2018343578.html

RiverRat13
08-10-2012, 08:38 PM

Didn't Dyer already get kicked out of his second school? That's a strange example to use to call "scoreboard".

jojo
08-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Didn't Dyer already get kicked out of his second school? That's a strange example to use to call "scoreboard".

How is it strange? What is your point?

RiverRat13
08-10-2012, 08:44 PM
How is it strange? What is your point?

That Michael Dyer was such a bad apple that he was kicked out of two schools. I don't see how he is a good example of an SEC team booting a kid that may have been kept on a team in another conference. I don't think he makes it anywhere.

jojo
08-10-2012, 08:48 PM
That Michael Dyer was such a bad apple that he was kicked out of two schools. I don't see how he is a good example of an SEC team booting a kid that may have been kept on a team in another conference. I don't think he makes it anywhere.

I doubt Mahlzan gave him more than an inch of rope after Auburn cut ties with Dyer given Malzahn was intimately aware of wht went on with Dyer.

Dyer would've still been a Gator under Meyer. Auburn spanked him against their best interest on the field.

RiverRat13
08-10-2012, 09:05 PM
I doubt Mahlzan gave him more than an inch of rope after Auburn cut ties with Dyer given Malzahn was intimately aware of wht went on with Dyer.

Dyer would've still been a Gator under Meyer. Auburn spanked him against their best interest on the field.

He got caught with weed and a gun in his car. And the cop who pulled him over got fired for basically trying to cover up for Dyer by taking the gun and tossing out the weed (must have been a big Arkansas St. fan).

You might be right that he would still be a Gator under Meyer (especially after reading the long espn.com article about him), but the word was that Dyer failed a drug test that not only led to his suspension for the bowl game but also would have cost him multiple games the next season. There is no definitive answer that Dyer was told to "take a hike" by Auburn, rather it is quite possible (if not probable) that he left on his own.

jojo
08-10-2012, 10:36 PM
He got caught with weed and a gun in his car. And the cop who pulled him over got fired for basically trying to cover up for Dyer by taking the gun and tossing out the weed (must have been a big Arkansas St. fan).

You might be right that he would still be a Gator under Meyer (especially after reading the long espn.com article about him), but the word was that Dyer failed a drug test that not only led to his suspension for the bowl game but also would have cost him multiple games the next season. There is no definitive answer that Dyer was told to "take a hike" by Auburn, rather it is quite possible (if not probable) that he left on his own.

He was told he had to do X to get Y (i.e. be reinstated). He did not do X.

It's that simple.

Auburn didn't have to do anything in response to a drug test if that truly was the issue-he was suspended for a violation of team rules. You tried making that point with an earlier link. Auburn did.

MWM
08-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Too bad. He was my vote for Heisman last year...definitely one of the top players in the game.

Chances are they had little choice but to dismiss him if the rumors wind up being true.

WDE
08-11-2012, 01:41 AM
I, for one, am a HUGE Auburn football fan, and I think that the Michael Dyer situation is one of the most upsetting things to me. It's not because we lost him, but it is because this guy could have had a wonderful football career. He was on pace to be one of the greatest running backs in Auburn history, along with Bo Jackson! But he chose to have a bad attitude (he told people he was bigger than Auburn and treated the coaches poorly) and got into trouble. Such a shame and waste of talent.

Revering4Blue
08-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Counselor says Auburn RB's transcript is fake.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8257979/ncaa-reviewing-prep-transcript-auburn-tigers-jovon-robinson

jojo
08-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Counselor says Auburn RB's transcript is fake.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8257979/ncaa-reviewing-prep-transcript-auburn-tigers-jovon-robinson

Auburn had a guardian angel on this one. Huge dodged bullet.

WMR
08-11-2012, 05:43 PM
It's too bad there isn't a Bammer on here for JoJo to play with. :lol:

jojo
08-11-2012, 07:09 PM
It's too bad there isn't a Bammer on here for JoJo to play with. :lol:

They'd likely be on ignore.

Concerning Robinson this is actually a big blessing. Imagine if he played and this was revealed mid season.

Right now it looks like he'll end up being a partial qualifier which is tantamount to being redshirted (and he most likely would've been redshirted anyway).

As far as this being a problem for Auburn, it's difficult seeing that being a likely reality. They essentially would have had to be complicit with the counselor and that just doesn't make much sense. I actually feel pretty bad for Robinson as it appears he did not know about the counselor's actions-if true he's got to be both embarrassed and frustrated.

Through a Bammer filter, the Plains would be burning down and Interpol is closing in....

19braves77
08-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Alabama Fan here !

Roll Tide Roll

WDE
08-13-2012, 06:33 PM
There are Bama fans saying that we cheated with this whole Robinson deal. This is why we hate them. That, and about a million other things.

Meanwhile, Bama allegedly moved a top high school recruit to a school to Foley High School so he could pass high school. O ya, and they sent the NCAA down to Auburn to see if there was a booster involved with Rueben Foster because OBVIOUSLY no person could even think about changing from the University of Alabama to the Barn!

WDE
08-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Now they are saying it was the AHSAA not NCAA.

jojo
08-13-2012, 06:41 PM
There are Bama fans saying that we cheated with this whole Robinson deal. This is why we hate them. That, and about a million other things.

Meanwhile, Bama allegedly moved a top high school recruit to a school to Foley High School so he could pass high school. O ya, and they sent the NCAA down to Auburn to see if there was a booster involved with Rueben Foster because OBVIOUSLY no person could even think about changing from the University of Alabama to the Barn!

The NCAA routinely checks up on highly touted recruits like Foster just as a matter of course. You can bet that Yeldon was interviewed last year and Howard/Allen will be interviewed if they haven't been already. That the NCAA briefly interviewed Foster about his college decision is not newsworthy-it's just routine quality control. That the occurrence of this interview was leaked however, is out of the ordinary.

jojo
08-13-2012, 06:45 PM

Robinson's transcript was apparently altered early in his HS career (10th grade). It seems more likely that it was done to keep him eligible to play than it was done to help his recruitment. He's done pretty well academically as an upper classman and over the summer from the standpoint of being problem free and both he and his family seem blindsided by revelations that his transcript needed altered let alone that it was.

I guess, you shouldn't waste you time looking for conspiracy theories. You know certain journalists in Birmingham and at the AJC aren't objective about Auburn so if you can't stand to read the bias, just avoid them.

WDE
08-13-2012, 06:53 PM
The NCAA routinely checks up on highly touted recruits like Foster just as a matter of course. You can bet that Yeldon was interviewed last year and Howard/Allen will be interviewed if they haven't been already. That the NCAA briefly interviewed Foster about his college decision is not newsworthy-it's just routine quality control. That the occurrence of this interview was leaked however, is out of the ordinary.

Ah, so nice to see another Auburn fan on here! How do you think we do this year?

19braves77
08-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Auburn losses against Clemson, LSU, Texas AM, Georgia, and Alabama

There swing game is Arkansas.

So 7-5 or 6-6

WDE
08-13-2012, 07:18 PM

So 7-5 or 6-6

Not being a homer, but we aren't going to lose to TAMU. Swing games are Arkansas AND Clemson. Clemson was a swing game with Sammy Watkins, and now he is out for the game. I think it is fair to say the losses are LSU, Georgia, and Alabama, but Clemson is not a sure loss.

WDE
08-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Oh, and Matheiu may be able to come back to LSU for his senior season

jojo
08-13-2012, 07:23 PM

So 7-5 or 6-6

You can't seriously believe Auburn will finish with those records.

jojo
08-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Oh, and Matheiu may be able to come back to LSU for his senior season

That would be brilliant.

WDE
08-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Well we won't be WORSE than we were last year. Our D Line will be awsome, O Line improving, running game decent, our big question mark is QB (which will probably be Frazier). If Frazier has a good year, we will have a special season. However, if he is just terrible this season could be a repeat of last year.

jojo
08-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Well we won't be WORSE than we were last year. Our D Line will be awsome, O Line improving, running game decent, our big question mark is QB (which will probably be Frazier). If Frazier has a good year, we will have a special season. However, if he is just terrible this season could be a repeat of last year.

Frazier isn't going to be terrible.

WDE
08-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Frazier isn't going to be terrible.

Let's hope not! What do you think our record will be this year?

jojo
08-13-2012, 11:45 PM

The AJC is just a shell of what it once was....I say this with deep sadness.

jojo
08-14-2012, 10:40 AM
http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/PMARSHONAU-No-backing-down-for-Auburn-football-85326

Since 1992, Auburn has won more SEC games than any team in the West Division. It has had three perfect seasons, more than anybody in the SEC. It has won two SEC championships, won or shared seven division championships and won a national championship. It has done that without being found guilty of a major violation since 1993. And the hard truth is it gets little credit for that accomplishment beyond its own loyal fans.

In the interim, the Bama football program has vacated 29 wins and has been on probation 17 straight years finally ending a methuselistic run of compliance spanking this past summer.

WDE
08-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Another impressive Auburn fact:

Every 4-year player at Auburn since the 1980 freshman class has won the SEC Championship, 11 games, West Div, National Championship, and/or had an undefeated season.

dabvu2498
08-14-2012, 01:14 PM
And I'll be there in Nashville, October 20, when you guys lose to Vanderbilt.

jojo
08-14-2012, 01:17 PM

That's going to be a tough game. Vandy isn't a shill anymore.

Great venue for a game too.

dabvu2498
08-14-2012, 01:21 PM
That's going to be a tough game. Vandy isn't a shill anymore.

Great venue for a game too.

Really? That place is awful. It's home to me, so I'm allowed to say that, but The Dud is terrible.

WDE
08-14-2012, 01:45 PM

I'll be there too! My father and grandfather went to Vandy, so I have always kind of liked them! And you guys have a good team this year. It is no gimme game for us. I think we win it though. You guys lost Marve and Heyward, two guys that are pretty hard to replace on the defense.

jojo
08-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Really? That place is awful. It's home to me, so I'm allowed to say that, but The Dud is terrible.

I'm just in love with Vandy's campus and the downtown area I guess.

dabvu2498
08-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Da'Rick Rogers suspended indefinitely.

jojo
08-23-2012, 11:30 AM

While much less significant news, Auburn just suspended senior wide receiver DeAngelo Benton. He potentially was going to be in their wide reciever mix though he certainly wouldn't be considered to have the type of impact of a player like Rogers.

Here's Auburn's drug policy (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/08/auburns_tougher_drug_policy_wo.html) for anyone who cares:

Auburn's policy, which the school provided to The News, is less forgiving. It hits student-athletes with longer suspensions more quickly, depending on the banned substance involved.

Test positive the first time for traditional or synthetic marijuana, and there's counseling but no loss of playing time. Test positive the first time for another banned substance, and you're suspended for 50 percent of your season.

If your first and second positive tests are for either kind of marijuana, the second positive test triggers a suspension for 50 percent of your season. A third positive test in that category, and you lose your privilege to play at Auburn permanently.

You don't get a third strike if either of your first two positive tests are for a banned substance other than marijuana. In that case, strike two and you're out. Permanently.

Sea Ray
08-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Rogers has had issues throughout his time at UT. I'm not pleased to hear this nor am I surprised. Suspended or not, they clearly can't count on this clown. I'm more anxious to see how Justin Hunter is looking after his ACL surgery and get a look at the new Juco WR. They'll be on ESPN-U a week from tomorrow

WMR
08-23-2012, 02:06 PM

How many people did he kill/rape/rob at gunpoint? You've gotta really try hard to get suspended at UT, doubly so with Dooley facing a firing in his near future if UT doesn't have a good year.

BTW: Has anyone been following the Tyler Bray saga in Kville? What a punk. Busted for hitting a girl's truck with beer bottles and then, mysteriously, her windshield gets bashed in the day after Bray gets evicted from his apartment complex. Really unfortunate no one witnessed him do it, of course, I'm sure he just would have had to run some stairs or something. :rolleyes:

Follows that up with acting like an idiot on a jet ski...

I wonder what's next for this burgeoning criminal/ne'er do well.

WMR
08-23-2012, 02:30 PM
A UT fan on another site told me the suspension came down from the administration, not Dooley. That's unsurprising, and also points to something serious.

Vandy is kicking ass right now on the recruiting trail. Who would have guessed the Vandy football team would have a better chance to beat Wisconsin than the basketball squad? ;) Franklin appears to be the real deal and looks like Vandy will be upgrading their facilities now as well.

dabvu2498
08-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Vandy is kicking ass right now on the recruiting trail. Who would have guessed the Vandy football team would have a better chance to beat Wisconsin than the basketball squad? ;) Franklin appears to be the real deal and looks like Vandy will be upgrading their facilities now as well.

Kicking ass? Compared to SOV? Yes... Compared to the rest of the conference? We're gaining on them, but it's still an uphill battle.

FWIW, the facilities upgrades are underway already. The stadium got a bit of a facelift this summer and they did some nice things to the athletic offices, locker rooms, meeting rooms, etc. The indoor facility is on it's way and should be ready for use in '14.

http://www.vucommodores.com/genrel/042012aaa.html

Revering4Blue
08-23-2012, 05:15 PM
BTW: Has anyone been following the Tyler Bray saga in Kville? What a punk

Well, UT could have had Tajh Boyd at QB if Kiffen, the supposed genius, hadn't essentially run him out of Knoxville because he didn't fit his "system."

I don't have a dog in this fight, but that decision was indefensible. Anyone with even a modicum of football knowledge should have realized that Bray will never be 1/4 the NCAA QB that Boyd is.

jojo
08-24-2012, 01:28 PM
http://www.cdispatch.com/msusports/article.asp?aid=18454#ixzz24RBVpXNs

Karma, meet Coach Mullen.

WDE
08-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Oh boy. Big blow for Auburn. Starting center Reese Dismukes arrested 8 days before the season, and likely suspended. Now I'm not one of the AU fans that think this ruins our whole season, but if a suspension happens as expected, it will hurt us. Our backup is somebody I've never heard of and does not have much experience at all.

WDE
08-25-2012, 02:38 PM
http://www.cdispatch.com/msusports/article.asp?aid=18454#ixzz24RBVpXNs

Karma, meet Coach Mullen.

Interesting. However, after the whole Cam Newton debacle, I will never assume someone is guilty of cheating until it is officially proven. We Auburn fans know what it feels like to be on the other side of that.

jojo
08-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Interesting. However, after the whole Cam Newton debacle, I will never assume someone is guilty of cheating until it is officially proven. We Auburn fans know what it feels like to be on the other side of that.

The Karma part is that the whole Cam story was about irregularities that occurred during MSU's recruitment of Cam and Mullen was pretty self righteous all things considered and MSU had some curious timing concerning their reporting.

But ya, there are some serious big time mea culpas still owed concerning the Cam story from those who were quick to pile on both he and Auburn.

jojo
08-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Oh boy. Big blow for Auburn. Starting center Reese Dismukes arrested 8 days before the season, and likely suspended. Now I'm not one of the AU fans that think this ruins our whole season, but if a suspension happens as expected, it will hurt us. Our backup is somebody I've never heard of and does not have much experience at all.

He was found passed out in public. He might miss both the Clemson and MSU games. Given the OL is very talented but also very young, losing Dismukes for those games would be a very big blow IMHO.

Auburn looks to line up under center about 60% of their offensive sets and plans to run alot between the tackles. Dismukes really let the team down IMHO.

19braves77
08-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Week 1 Guesses:

Michigan 20 Alabama 31

I expect this game to be good until the 4th quarter.

Clemson 40 Auburn 35

A shootout

South Carolina 23 Vanderbilt 17

A Vandy upset would not shock me

Texas A&M 35 Louisiana Tech 28

Welcom Aggies !

Tennessee 24 N.C. State 27

Nc State defense should be good enough to pull off a win

Buffalo 7 Georgia 56

Bowling Green 10 Florida 35

Jacksonville State 10 Arkansas 56

North Texas 7 LSU 48

Central Arkansas 13 Ole Miss 12

Freeze loses his first game

Jackson State 9 Mississippi State 24

Southeastern Louisiana 14 Missouri 48

Louisville 20 Kentucky 21

WDE
08-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Week 1 Guesses:

Clemson 40 Auburn 35

:nono:

WDE
08-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Dismukes really let the team down IMHO.

Exactly how I feel. 8 days before gameday and you are out partying? I think Dismukes has a lot of talent, but he has to get his act together and be a team player if he ever wants to see the field at Auburn again. Team leaders, guys like Lee Ziemba and Ben Tate, to name a few (and hopefully Kiehl Frazier in the future), never did that stuff.

WDE
08-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Don't have anything to do, might as well do Week 1 guesses:

Michigan 10 Alabama 45

I expect this game to be a blowout. Michigan gets a late touchdown on Bama's second team to avoid being completely embarassed.

Clemson 21 Auburn 40

One can only hope for the best! :)

South Carolina 24 Vanderbilt 27

A Vandy upset is what I expect. High level energy in Nashville for first game of the year.

Texas A&M 45 Louisiana Tech 17

S-E-C!

Tennessee 31 N.C. State 21

Tennessee is young, but talented. Think they take this one.

Buffalo 14 Georgia 63

Bowling Green 20 Florida 37

Jacksonville State 10 Arkansas 56

North Texas 10 LSU 60

Central Arkansas 7 Ole Miss 20

Jackson State 9 Mississippi State 24

Southeastern Louisiana 28 Missouri 50

Louisville 34 Kentucky 30

Whatever happens, it'll be fun, and I'll be glad to finally have college football back!

Sea Ray
08-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Well, UT could have had Tajh Boyd at QB if Kiffen, the supposed genius, hadn't essentially run him out of Knoxville because he didn't fit his "system."

I don't have a dog in this fight, but that decision was indefensible. Anyone with even a modicum of football knowledge should have realized that Bray will never be 1/4 the NCAA QB that Boyd is.

I think you're underestimating Bray. He could be the difference maker in a bounceback year for UT. They return a bunch of starters and were decimated by injuries last year after the UC game where they manhandled an excellent Bearcat team. Simply put the team that lost to UK was a shell of the one that beat UC

After making a bowl game in Derek Dooley’s first year on the job in 2010, the Tennessee Volunteers fell just short with a 5-7 campaign in ’11. They would lose at Kentucky 7-10 in their season-finale with a postseason berth on the line. The Volunteers had a brutal schedule last year that featured losses to Florida, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, South Carolina, and Arkansas.
With a much easier schedule, and entering the third year under Dooley, Tennessee has an excellent chance to be a surprise contender in the SEC East. The Vols return the most starters (19) in the conference and have 49 lettermen returning. Here is a look at their offense and defense, along with my prediction on where they finish in the East division in 2012.
http://www.locksmithsportspicks.com/tennessee-football-predictions/

First test is Friday night vs NC State. Both teams are generally ranked equally about 40-50 nationally. Unlike schools such as Florida and OSU, UT scheduled a true test in week one rather than a MAC team

dabvu2498
08-27-2012, 04:17 PM
I think you're underestimating Bray. He could be the difference maker in a bounceback year for UT.

I agree. There were some times last year when he looked like a future NFL QB. It would have been interesting to see him against those 3 really good defenses that he missed due to injury.

The East is hard to predict. UT should be better. UF should be better. UGa and SC should be better. Missouri is a real wild card. Vandy should be better, but better enough to knock off Georgia or SC or Mizzou or UT?

I actually think UGa gets it together and ends up at 10-2 and the rest are all in the 7-5 6-6 range. But I could also be dead wrong.

dabvu2498
08-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Unlike schools such as Florida and OSU, UT scheduled a true test in week one rather than a MAC team

Can't say I blame UF for scheduling a cupcake in week 1, given that the SEC gave them 2 conference road games the next two weeks.

Florida is done with their conference games on November 3rd. Think about that.

Sea Ray
08-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Can't say I blame UF for scheduling a cupcake in week 1, given that the SEC gave them 2 conference road games the next two weeks.

Florida is done with their conference games on November 3rd. Think about that.

Does the SEC do the scheduling or the school? I doubt the SEC forced them to cram all their SEC games in by the first weekend of Nov. Florida has scheduled cupcakes for their opener for as long as I can remember

jojo
08-27-2012, 05:25 PM
I agree. There were some times last year when he looked like a future NFL QB. It would have been interesting to see him against those 3 really good defenses that he missed due to injury.

The East is hard to predict. UT should be better. UF should be better. UGa and SC should be better. Missouri is a real wild card. Vandy should be better, but better enough to knock off Georgia or SC or Mizzou or UT?

I actually think UGa gets it together and ends up at 10-2 and the rest are all in the 7-5 6-6 range. But I could also be dead wrong.

Someone should be fired if Georgia doesn't win 10 games this year given the way their schedule sets up.

Boston Red
08-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Louisville 20 Kentucky 21

I hadn't really even considered the possibility Louisville could lose to a particularly awful UK team this year. Makes me shudder just thinking about. This seems very unlikely.