PDA

View Full Version : Is there anybody on this roster that you would not deal?

dfs
09-18-2011, 02:16 PM
The more I think about it.....the more I think, for the right return I would trade anybody on this roster.

Anybody have a player that you just think the reds can't trade?

I'm not saying...boy they need to get rid of these guys, because I don't think that's the case. Just that I don't believe their is anybody that is so cheap an so good that they can't trade him.

Joseph
09-18-2011, 02:44 PM
For the right return I would have traded Rose, or Morgan, or Bench. No player is untouchable.

Tom Servo
09-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Alonso and Bruce are two guys who can conceivably be Reds for years to come and I would like to see stay in Cincinnati...but I would still listen to offers on them.

Captain Hook
09-18-2011, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't trade Mesoraco.A young, potential AS catcher on the cheap that's under control for a long time is just the kind of player a team like the Reds need on their roster if they're going to have a chance to compete.I know he's not a sure thing but the Reds need to hope he ends up reaching his potential and hang on to him.

SirFelixCat
09-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Obviously everyone could be had for the right price. But if we're talking realistically, there are a handful that I would have to be beyond "wow'd" to move:

Cueto
Mesoraco
Alonso
Votto (only because while I do think he's the best to move, the haul has to be HUGE)

dfs
09-18-2011, 06:30 PM
It would be very hard to let Mesoraco go. I've been very impressed with Ryan Hanigan's defence, but the kid's is even better. If he can hit even a little.......

If you subscribe to the belief that the team that gets the best player wins the trade, it becomes very hard to deal Joey Votto. I know all the reasons to do it, but practically it seems like a very difficult deal to find.

Bruce on the other hand..... Bruce seems to be an untouchable, but I think he's very dealable. He's cheap. He plays great defense. Obviously huge offensive upside. I think it's a lot easier to find a trade partner for Bruce than for Votto. I agree with Tom Servo that Bruce is just as likely to be traded as Alonso.

RedsManRick
09-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Nobody is ever untouchable, but Mes would certainly be the hardest to let go of, followed by Bruce.

vic715
09-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Meseroco,Bruce,Votto,Chapman and Cueto.Guys I would trade right now are Stubbs and Francisco.Those guys are strikeout machines.

Degenerate39
09-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Bruce, Mes, Cueto, Chapman

RFS62
09-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Bruce, Mes, Cueto, Chapman

That's my list, too.

Ron Madden
09-18-2011, 07:58 PM
It would be very hard to let Mesoraco go. I've been very impressed with Ryan Hanigan's defence, but the kid's is even better. If he can hit even a little.......

If you subscribe to the belief that the team that gets the best player wins the trade, it becomes very hard to deal Joey Votto. I know all the reasons to do it, but practically it seems like a very difficult deal to find.

Bruce on the other hand..... Bruce seems to be an untouchable, but I think he's very dealable. He's cheap. He plays great defense. Obviously huge offensive upside. I think it's a lot easier to find a trade partner for Bruce than for Votto. I agree with Tom Servo that Bruce is just as likely to be traded as Alonso.

That's because he is signed to what could be a very team friendly long term contract.

reds1869
09-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Bruce, Cueto and Mesoraco are my untouchables. Everyone else is available for the right deal, though it would take a huge return to sway me on Votto or Chapman.

mth123
09-18-2011, 08:13 PM
No untouchables, but realistically there are a few guys I don't see ever getting enough for. Certainly if somebody offered Clayton Kershaw, Jose Bautista, Troy Tulowitzki or Justin Verlander straight-up, I can't think of anyone I wouldn't deal. But I seriously doubt we'd get an offer that would make it worth dealing Votto, Bruce, Mesoraco or even Cueto at this point.

PuffyPig
09-18-2011, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't trade Mesoraco.A young, potential AS catcher on the cheap that's under control for a long time is just the kind of player a team like the Reds need on their roster if they're going to have a chance to compete.I know he's not a sure thing but the Reds need to hope he ends up reaching his potential and hang on to him.

You wouldn't trade him for Posey, Lincecum and Cain?

Wow!!!!

RedRoser
09-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Mesoraco
Cueto
Chapman
Cozart
Bruce

wlf WV
09-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Nobody,for the right return.(#1 starter) Nobody,but Votto's worth a lot. A lot.

Captain Hook
09-19-2011, 01:30 AM
You wouldn't trade him for Posey, Lincecum and Cain?

Wow!!!!

Niether would the Reds.They can't afford a deal like that.:laugh:

Mario-Rijo
09-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Votto and I would prefer to keep Bruce but I just don't see us winning any Votto deal.

bucksfan2
09-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Votto and Cueto are the only two I would not trade. You don't trade your best pitcher and MVP caliber player and expect to get better. If you want to trade Votto and/or Cueto then you may as well rename yourself the Pirates and challenge for a top 10 pick each season.

reds1869
09-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Votto and Cueto are the only two I would not trade. You don't trade your best pitcher and MVP caliber player and expect to get better. If you want to trade Votto and/or Cueto then you may as well rename yourself the Pirates and challenge for a top 10 pick each season.

If you trade them for a bunch of prospects, then yes, you are right. But if Votto or Cueto bring back similar MLB ready talent that is locked up long term, don't you at least have to consider it? We aren't exactly the Yankees here. The money tree does not grow in Walt's back yard no matter how much we wish it did. I really like our MVP; he's my favorite Red. But I love the franchise more than I love any one player and want them positioned for long term success. I'd love to see Votto retire as a Red, but if he has to be dealt to put a winner on the field long term that is simply life as a small market team.

PuffyPig
09-19-2011, 11:22 AM

So you would rather let Votto leave as a FA?

Nobody wants to lose Votto, but trading him is better than getting a couple of draft picks.

TRF
09-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Both the Cardinals and the Brewers may be needing a 1B. Toronto could use one as well.

So, Votto to TOR for Brandon Morrow, Brett Lawrie and a couple of low level minor leagers

Votto to MIL for Galardo, Wily Peralta and a couple of low level minor leaguers

Votto to STL for Wainright, Freese, Motte and a couple of low level minor leaguers

no settling. In every deal the Reds need a true ACE. period. If Alonso can be 85% of Votto + a hammer in the rotation, then you make the deal.

bucksfan2
09-19-2011, 12:07 PM

Nobody wants to lose Votto, but trading him is better than getting a couple of draft picks.

No I keep him here over the next 1.5 seasons. The entire time I am looking to swing a long term extension. And if the doesn't want a long term extension in Cincy then I look to deal him at the deadline in 2013.

The thing with big time contracts is they don't hurt you if the player plays up to his contract. If Cincy we have been used to Milton soaking up a large portion of the salary. And we had a Jr who was on a constant decline during his time in Cincy. If you have a star being paid like a star who is also producing to that level you don't have a problem.

The Twins found a way to keep both Morneau and Mauer. The Marlins have found a way to keep both Hanley and Johnson. If you want to consider yourself a solid contending club you need to find a way to keep your key players through their prime. If not the best you can hope for is to catch lightening in a bottle like the A's did almost a decade ago now.

IslandRed
09-19-2011, 12:40 PM

Carl Crawford, Prince Fielder... when it's time for a smaller-market team to grab at the ring, sometimes holding a star player until he walks is the price of the grab.

I don't believe for a second the Reds are going into rebuild/punt mode, and if they're trying to win in 2012, it's difficult to construct a realistic Votto trade that gives them a better chance to do that.