PDA

View Full Version : Braves/Cards/Giants

MikeThierry
09-19-2011, 11:55 PM
I'm not trying to come in here and brag but this is truely amazing what is happening in the NL Wild Card. Cards beat Roy Halladay, winning the series 3-1 and the Braves blow a save on the last out. Now the Cards are 2.5 back and the Giants are 3.5. The Giants are catching up with the Diamondbacks as well. This is going to go down to the wire and I truely think the Braves are folding under pressure.

Homer Bailey
09-20-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm not trying to come in here and brag but this is truely amazing what is happening in the NL Wild Card. Cards beat Roy Halladay, winning the series 3-1 and the Braves blow a save on the last out. Now the Cards are 2.5 back and the Giants are 3.5. The Giants are catching up with the Diamondbacks as well. This is going to go down to the wire and I truely think the Braves are folding under pressure.

Thought you gave up on the season?

Why waste my time with a team that doesn't seem to care? If there is anything in sports that just annoys me and turns me off is when I see a team going through the motions and not seeming to care. I have better things to do with my time esp. since school is starting up again.

Chip R
09-20-2011, 09:56 AM

Just when he thought he was out, they pulled him back in.

http://www.taschen.com/media/images/480/default_exc_godfather_06_0810081442_id_176559.jpg

RANDY IN INDY
09-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Nothing says bandwagon like a winner!

Sea Ray
09-20-2011, 10:02 AM
I'd say Mike's comments on not caring more aptly fit our Reds. It sure looks like they're counting down the days 'till next Wednesday

RANDY IN INDY
09-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Still watchin' every night, as painful as it is.

Sea Ray
09-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Still watchin' every night, as painful as it is.

I watch a couple innings each night although I don't know why

RANDY IN INDY
09-20-2011, 10:56 AM
My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I just love the game and the Reds. Any night, something special can happen, and even when it doesn't, I think about those long cold nights of winter when I would give just about anything to be watching the Reds play.

SirFelixCat
09-20-2011, 10:57 AM
I watch a couple innings each night although I don't know why

This.

It's a disease, really.:laugh:

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Here's hoping the Cards lose out by one game. That would be hilarious!

traderumor
09-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Here's hoping the Cards lose out by one game. That would be hilarious!In a one game playoff, with Crissy getting shelled and knocked out of the game by the 3rd inning.

MikeThierry
09-20-2011, 11:57 PM

I will gladly eat crow if the Cards pull this almost historic run off. Yes, I was wrong. Yes, I'm jumping back on the bandwagon, though I must say that at the time I bailed off the wagon, the wheels fell off and the engine was misfiring. I think a lot of fans jumped off at that time. Right now, they are playing so good that I'm actually putting off school work to see the team play, which I wasn't doing when they are putrid. They are an exciting team to watch and even when they lose, they give the other team just fits.

PuffyPig
09-21-2011, 07:37 AM
I think a lot of fans jumped off at that time.

I'd suggest not one fan jumped off the bandwagon, because real fans always cheer for their team. Especially when they are losing.

Perhaps a bunch of bandwagoners jumped off, that might be true.

Homer Bailey
09-21-2011, 09:40 AM
I'd suggest not one fan jumped off the bandwagon, because real fans always cheer for their team. Especially when they are losing.

Perhaps a bunch of bandwagoners jumped off, that might be true.

(Insert comeback explaining how long he's been a fan, etc.)

reds1869
09-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Until my team is mathematically I will always choose to believe they can pull it off. After they are mathematically eliminated I will always choose to cheer for them anyway. Even with this disappointment of a season I won't stop watching the Reds. Winter is coming soon and we will all be desperate for baseball.

kaldaniels
09-21-2011, 10:52 AM
(Insert comeback explaining how long he's been a fan, etc.)

You wouldn't understand Homer, its just different being a Cardinals fan.

Homer Bailey
09-21-2011, 11:34 AM
You wouldn't understand Homer, its just different being a Cardinals fan.

http://aeryssports.com/aaron-miles-fastball/files/2011/05/upset-cardinals-fan.jpg

cincrazy
09-21-2011, 12:20 PM
I think you guys are being a little over the top with this, don't you think? Have I made time for every inning of every Reds game the last few weeks? No, I haven't, because I have other priorities, and quite frankly my job and school are more important than watching a cruddy baseball team. I don't think it's so out of the ordinary, and if I go three or four games without actually watching a game, I don't think it makes me less of a fan. I highly doubt Mike stopped following them COMPLETELY, it's just natural to give them less attention when they don't deserve it, to be quite honest.

reds44
09-21-2011, 12:22 PM
They're not called the best fans in baseball for nothing!

PuffyPig
09-21-2011, 01:49 PM
I highly doubt Mike stopped following them COMPLETELY, it's just natural to give them less attention when they don't deserve it, to be quite honest.

I think we are simply basing it on what he said. IIRC,he said that he has only watch them occasionally since early August due to their uninspired play.

RANDY IN INDY
09-21-2011, 02:20 PM
There are people who are passionate about baseball and their teams, and there are people who casually follow baseball and their teams. Nothing wrong with either, but there is a difference.

blumj
09-21-2011, 02:30 PM
At the moment, I'm kind of jealous of him for being able to tear himself away from the frustration for a while. I keep trying, and mostly failing, to leave the tv on the food network and the radio off.

CTA513
09-21-2011, 02:52 PM
They're not called the best fans in baseball for nothing!

Just like Cincinnati is called a baseball town?

Homer Bailey
09-21-2011, 02:56 PM
I think you guys are being a little over the top with this, don't you think? Have I made time for every inning of every Reds game the last few weeks? No, I haven't, because I have other priorities, and quite frankly my job and school are more important than watching a cruddy baseball team. I don't think it's so out of the ordinary, and if I go three or four games without actually watching a game, I don't think it makes me less of a fan. I highly doubt Mike stopped following them COMPLETELY, it's just natural to give them less attention when they don't deserve it, to be quite honest.

C'mon. To come out and flat out say you're giving up on a team, basically leave the board for two weeks, then come back and start a thread to brag about the Cardinals being back in the hunt?

RANDY IN INDY
09-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Homer's got a point.:)

MikeThierry
09-21-2011, 11:37 PM
I think we are simply basing it on what he said. IIRC,he said that he has only watch them occasionally since early August due to their uninspired play.

I also said I have real life issues I'm dealing with too. My health is certainly an issue (I lost 40 pounds in a month to a month and a half due to my condition) and I have school. My attitude at the time was that the team didn't seem to care so there was no point in watching it anymore. I have other things in my life going on. As I said before, if that is a sin giving up on a team when they look like they have given up coupled with life issues, by all means, send me to Hell.

Now if you all want to continue to harp on frankly a stupid point instead of actually talking about the original topic, we can keep playing this game.

C'mon. To come out and flat out say you're giving up on a team, basically leave the board for two weeks, then come back and start a thread to brag about the Cardinals being back in the hunt?

Its bragging when someone points out a noteworthy issue that is going on in baseball? I figured that since someone started a thread about Boston/Tampa and Boston's collapse it was only noteworthy to open up a thread about a collapse that is on par with that one. Frankly, it gets a bit annoying having to clarify yourself every time in here because other posters believe you have an agenda or you are trying to brag on something. Leave your paranoia at the door, Homer.

MikeThierry
09-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Getting back to the topic at hand, Cards are 1.5 out and if the Giants win, they will be 3.5 out.

WVRedsFan
09-22-2011, 12:49 AM
Looks like it's gonna be 3.5 out. I understand how you felt and feel, Mike. There are times I just wanted to throw a shoe at the 46-inch TV I bought last year to watch the playoffs (which really ended really bad really fast), and yet after that bad, horrible experience--getting no-hit and lasting only three games, I had so much enthusiasm for this year even if no moves were made except to add Freddy Lewis, who they had to release. And yet, I've watched every game except those where I was out of town or sick. I could not look away, like many can. I even started a game thread the other day because no one else did. It's in my blood.

I don't doubt your loyalty to your Cards, but I understand that sometimes it's so painful that you just have to throw your hands up and say the heck with them. But you always come back and that is the characteristic of the true fan.

That said, I hope your Cardinals join my Reds on the sidelines this post-season. Of course, your team will add offense and pitching while ours will be "happy with what we have." Sometimes I think being a Reds fan is a disease. And I've got it. Unfortunately.

Put the lime in the coconut and call me in the morning...

kaldaniels
09-22-2011, 12:52 AM
I also said I have real life issues I'm dealing with too. My health is certainly an issue (I lost 40 pounds in a month to a month and a half due to my condition) and I have school. My attitude at the time was that the team didn't seem to care so there was no point in watching it anymore. I have other things in my life going on. As I said before, if that is a sin giving up on a team when they look like they have given up coupled with life issues, by all means, send me to Hell.

Now if you all want to continue to harp on frankly a stupid point instead of actually talking about the original topic, we can keep playing this game.

Its bragging when someone points out a noteworthy issue that is going on in baseball? I figured that since someone started a thread about Boston/Tampa and Boston's collapse it was only noteworthy to open up a thread about a collapse that is on par with that one. Frankly, it gets a bit annoying having to clarify yourself every time in here because other posters believe you have an agenda or you are trying to brag on something. Leave your paranoia at the door, Homer.

The thing that struck me about your remarks Mike, was that you ascerted that it was due to the lack of the Cardinals not caring, when in reality (and not that there is anything wrong with it) they were just playing sub-par and non-exciting baseball. There is a reason the game threads are only 2-3 pages long lately on here...it is hard to keep interest when the games have no (or appear to have no) meaning. Just say so. Don't weave a web of (non-medical, as I know you've had your struggles lately) excuses that rationalize your non-watching.

MikeThierry
09-22-2011, 12:59 AM
The thing that struck me about your remarks Mike, was that you ascerted that it was due to the lack of the Cardinals not caring, when in reality (and not that there is anything wrong with it) they were just playing sub-par and non-exciting baseball. There is a reason the game threads are only 2-3 pages long lately on here...it is hard to keep interest when the games have no (or appear to have no) meaning. Just say so. Don't weave a web of (non-medical, as I know you've had your struggles lately) excuses that rationalize your non-watching.

I didn't want to bring medical stuff into the conversation because its a very personal thing I have been dealing with and I don't like bringing in that stuff into a sports forum. I only did it to defend myself from posters who always attack instead of debate a point in a logical manor.

Someone mentioned it in a previous thread. When a team is playing sub-par and non-exciting baseball, it looks as if they given up or not care. As fans, it is so easy to make that mistake because our hearts are so into it. It is clear the Cards players cared what was going on. It was an overreaction on my part. Still, it doesn't change the fact that it was uninspiring and pathetic ball they were playing for a while.

kaldaniels
09-22-2011, 01:00 AM
I didn't want to bring medical stuff into the conversation because its a very personal thing I have been dealing with and I don't like bringing in that stuff into a sports forum. I only did it to defend myself from posters who always attack instead of debate a point in a logical manor.

Someone mentioned it in a previous thread. When a team is playing sub-par and non-exciting baseball, it looks as if they given up or not care. As fans, it is so easy to make that mistake because our hearts are so into it. It is clear the Cards players cared what was going on. It was an overreaction on my part. Still, it doesn't change the fact that it was uninspiring and pathetic ball they were playing for a while.

True and true.

WVRedsFan
09-22-2011, 01:33 AM

Someone mentioned it in a previous thread. When a team is playing sub-par and non-exciting baseball, it looks as if they given up or not care. As fans, it is so easy to make that mistake because our hearts are so into it. It is clear the Cards players cared what was going on. It was an overreaction on my part. Still, it doesn't change the fact that it was uninspiring and pathetic ball they were playing for a while.Very true. That said, I hope you get better and do well.

OnBaseMachine
09-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Huge choke by the Cardinals today. They led the Mets 6-2 in the 9th and the bullpen imploded and gave up six runs in the 9th. Mets won 8-6. Instead of being one game back with six to go, Cardinals are two back. They are still within reach but today's loss was devastating.

MikeThierry
09-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Completely agree OnBaseMachine. What I don't understand is why TLR pitched Motte in a non-save situation when he had 24 pitches the previous game. Down the stretch, TLR has made all the right moves but this was the biggest head scratcher. Still, the Cards play the Cubs and Houston so they are still in this thing. Washington is red hot right now and the Phillies are going to be tough for Atlanta.

PuffyPig
09-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Completely agree OnBaseMachine. What I don't understand is why TLR pitched Motte in a non-save situation when he had 24 pitches the previous game.

Probably because Motte has given up only a few runs in the last half of the season, and Larussa wanted to give himself his best chance to win.

If Furcal doesn't get stone hands on that DP ball, that game would have been long over and no one would be questioning Larussa.

Srabble and Salas gave up 3 hits to the first 4 batters they faced. If
Larussa had brought in Salas to start the 9th and he had become unravelled (which he's doing more and more of recently), everyone would have wondered why he didn't nail down the game with the pitcher who's been filty lately.

Hollcat
09-22-2011, 09:31 PM
The phillies are struggling. Howard and pence are both resting injuries and there is no reason for them to throw their studs more than about 5 or 6 innings. I think the braves hold on by about 3 games.

MikeThierry
09-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Probably because Motte has given up only a few runs in the last half of the season, and Larussa wanted to give himself his best chance to win.

If Furcal doesn't get stone hands on that DP ball, that game would have been long over and no one would be questioning Larussa.

Srabble and Salas gave up 3 hits to the first 4 batters they faced. If
Larussa had brought in Salas to start the 9th and he had become unravelled (which he's doing more and more of recently), everyone would have wondered why he didn't nail down the game with the pitcher who's been filty lately.

If you look at Motte's last couple of games though, he has been giving up a decent amount of hits and walks. He just hasn't looked like that dominant pitcher that had a .31 ERA since the All Star break. He is throwing about 95-96 right now where as he was throwing 98+ most of this September. Granted, a weeks worth of games is probably a small sample size but it certainly looks like he is tiring out a bit. You are right about that double play ball, it has to be made.

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Huge choke by the Cardinals today. They led the Mets 6-2 in the 9th and the bullpen imploded and gave up six runs in the 9th. Mets won 8-6. Instead of being one game back with six to go, Cardinals are two back. They are still within reach but today's loss was devastating.

This warms the heart on a cold, rainy fall day. It's like digging out your favorite hoodie from last year and finding a $20 bill in the pocket. Go Braves!

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-24-2011, 01:27 AM
The fat lady is warming up quite nicely for the Cards.

STL loss/ATL win tonight puts Molina and friends three back with five to play.

RANDY IN INDY
09-24-2011, 09:29 AM
This warms the heart on a cold, rainy fall day. It's like digging out your favorite hoodie from last year and finding a $20 bill in the pocket. Go Braves!
:beerme:

PuffyPig
09-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Suffice to say that those Cards' fans deemed "bangwagoners" are again scurring for the exits, like rats jumping off a decaying and infested ship.....

But who knows, we may well see them surface again if the Cards' fortunes change in the next couple of days......

MikeThierry
09-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Cubs collapse and the Atlanta lose brings Atlanta's wild card lead down to two.

MikeThierry
09-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Cards move within one game with Atlanta.

OnBaseMachine
09-25-2011, 09:06 PM
How come this thread wasn't updated when the Cardinals fell to three back on Friday night?

MikeThierry
09-25-2011, 09:42 PM
How come this thread wasn't updated when the Cardinals fell to three back on Friday night?

Because I was out and about and didn't feel like turning on my computer when I got home. :) Its Friday night for god sakes.

I did post in here when they had that devastating loss on Thursday against the Mets, just to let you know.

cincrazy
09-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Man, we're not a jealous bunch around here, are we.

Brutus
09-26-2011, 01:18 AM
Would the thread have been started if it were the same teams involved but in reverse?

MikeThierry
09-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Would the thread have been started if it were the same teams involved but in reverse?

I'm pretty sure someone in here would have started a thread on the Cardinals epic collapse long before I started this thread. If there is anything I have learned being a member of the Reds Zone is that there is not much love for the Cardinals here, lol. :):D

PuffyPig
09-26-2011, 07:00 AM
I'm pretty sure someone in here would have started a thread on the Cardinals epic collapse long before I started this thread. If there is anything I have learned being a member of the Reds Zone is that there is not much love for the Cardinals here, lol. :):D

It's Reds boards for Pete's sake.

What do you expect?

RANDY IN INDY
09-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Kinda like when Brandon Phillips walks to the plate in St. Louis.;)

MikeThierry
09-26-2011, 07:18 PM
It's Reds boards for Pete's sake.

What do you expect?

That was my point. If there was an epic collapse by the Cards just like what is going on in Atlanta, I wouldn't have to start a thread about it like Brutus is asking. I'm pretty sure it would have been stared at least a week before I started this thread.

Reds Freak
09-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Gracious, has there ever been two choke jobs in the same season as big as the ones we're seeing this year by Boston and Atlanta?

Chip R
09-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Astros win 5-4 in 10.

mbgrayson
09-26-2011, 11:29 PM
So tonight, the Braves lose, and the Cards tie their games vs. the Astros. It goes into extras, and then Houston wins in the bottom of the 10th on a suicide squeeze bunt.

The Cardinals could have tied it up, like the Rays did tonight. Now, they are one back of Atlanta with two games left to play. The Cards play Houston, the Braves play the Phillies.

MikeThierry
09-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Tough loss. The Cards always seem to have trouble against Wandy Rodriguez.

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Anything that makes it as gut-wrenching as possible for the Cardinals is what I'm for. The fact that they've clawed back in the race to get to within a game, then they claw back in tonight's game to tie it only to blow it in the 10th is as enjoyable as it gets. In fact, their last two losses have been excruciating defeats snatched from the jaws of victory.

Brutus
09-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Tough loss. The Cards always seem to have trouble against Wandy Rodriguez.

At least they won't have to deal with notorious Cardinal killer Bud Norris in this series.

MikeThierry
09-27-2011, 12:21 AM
At least they won't have to deal with notorious Cardinal killer Bud Norris in this series.

lol yeah. That dude pitches like Don Drysdale and Roger Clemens in their prime against us for some reason.

kaldaniels
09-27-2011, 01:12 AM
Anything that makes it as gut-wrenching as possible for the Cardinals is what I'm for. The fact that they've clawed back in the race to get to within a game, then they claw back in tonight's game to tie it only to blow it in the 10th is as enjoyable as it gets. In fact, their last two losses have been excruciating defeats snatched from the jaws of victory.

I'm enjoying your commentary in this thread, keep it up. :thumbup:

Ron Madden
09-27-2011, 03:29 AM
As a Baseball Fan, I love the fact that the WC races in both leagues are nip and tuck and going down to the wire.

RedFanAlways1966
09-27-2011, 07:21 AM
As a Baseball Fan, I love the fact that the WC races in both leagues are nip and tuck and going down to the wire.

I do too, but... 3 of the 4 teams involved seem to be less-than-good right now. In the NL they should just give the Phillies a 1st round bye and let the D-Backs and Brewers play to determine who will face the Phils in the NLCS. Seems that neither the Braves or Cards are very good. The Red Sox are real bad right now. If this were ski-jumping, then the D-Rays would have wrapped it up a week and a half ago.

Something smells rotten in the WC. At least 75% of it does. :)

Sea Ray
09-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Yeah and for those who didn't watch it, in the top of the 10th Molina doubled to the wall with one out. However the next hitter hit one back to the pitcher and Molina has a brain cramp and tries to go to 3rd. He's easily thrown out for the 2nd out at 3rd base leaving a runner at 1st with 2 out. The runner at 1st was then thrown out trying to steal 2nd. Way to run yourself out of an inning...

OesterPoster
09-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Yeah and for those who didn't watch it, in the top of the 10th Molina doubled to the wall with one out. However the next hitter hit one back to the pitcher and Molina has a brain cramp and tries to go to 3rd. He's easily thrown out for the 2nd out at 3rd base leaving a runner at 1st with 2 out. The runner at 1st was then thrown out trying to steal 2nd. Way to run yourself out of an inning...

Yeah, I pumped my fist and almost threw out my elbow while watching that highlight on Sportscenter this morning. :)

PuffyPig
09-27-2011, 10:03 AM
I do too, but... 3 of the 4 teams involved seem to be less-than-good right now. In the NL they should just give the Phillies a 1st round bye and let the D-Backs and Brewers play to determine who will face the Phils in the NLCS. Seems that neither the Braves or Cards are very good. The Red Sox are real bad right now. If this were ski-jumping, then the D-Rays would have wrapped it up a week and a half ago.

Philly just lost 8 straight games, so I wouldn't give them much leeway either.

RedFanAlways1966
09-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Philly just lost 8 straight games, so I wouldn't give them much leeway either.

Good point. I am referring to "the smell of blood" and not acting on it. Philly had smelled it and more-or-less ate it at that point.

Reds Freak
09-27-2011, 04:01 PM

I agree, it's good for baseball that these races have become close. However, it's not good for baseball if Tampa Bay ends up winning, which is what looks like will happen. A few years away from a World Series appearance, they are about to finish off an epic comeback and make the playoffs and they draw 18,000 to a game last night, against the Yankees no less. Someone remind me why Tampa has a professional baseball team?

dougdirt
09-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Someone remind me why Tampa has a professional baseball team?

They won't much longer.

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
They won't much longer.

Virginia Rays?
Charlotte Rays?
San Antonio Rays?
Portland Rays?
Mexico City Rays?

Or just contract them and the A's and spread the players around. Have a reverse draft. Reds get a high pick! :beerme:

OnBaseMachine
09-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Phillies lead the Braves 7-0 in the 7th inning.

Astros lead the Cardinals 5-0 after three innings.

Degenerate39
09-27-2011, 09:13 PM
I almost want the Cardinals to win the WC. Almost

OnBaseMachine
09-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Just like that it's a 5-4 game. Cardinals will win.

Reds Freak
09-27-2011, 09:37 PM

This statement should warrant a permanent ban...:)

MikeThierry
09-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Well... I think I'm going to finish a whole bottle of Pepto before this game is finish.

Chip R
09-27-2011, 11:31 PM
I'd hate to see the Cards get in but the way the Braves are playing I'd almost rather see them get in than this pathetic Atlanta team.

MikeThierry
09-27-2011, 11:49 PM
I have never seen a situation where four teams are tied and two playoff spots are up for grabs on the last day of the season. This is absolutely crazy.

By the way, check out this quote from Chipper Jones after they loss tonight:

"Its like were living out a bad dream"

If that is the mindset for even the most experienced Braves player, it looks like bad news for them tomorrow.

Ron Madden
09-28-2011, 04:03 AM

Me too, I've yet to get over that damned drum beat and tomahawk chop.

I'm not a fan of the present day Cardinals but at least I respect their history.

Ron Madden
09-28-2011, 04:11 AM

One of the best things about this game is ya never know what can happen. ;)

Reds Fanatic
09-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Braves cant hold their lead now tied 3-3 in the 9th

REDblooded
09-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Anybody else think it would be pretty funny if the Cards make the playoffs only to get run over by Philly?

I remember quite a few Cards fans last season talking trash about how the Reds haven't made the playoffs in years only to have been eliminated quick enough that you could've blinked and missed it...

MikeThierry
09-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Anybody else think it would be pretty funny if the Cards make the playoffs only to get run over by Philly?

I remember quite a few Cards fans last season talking trash about how the Reds haven't made the playoffs in years only to have been eliminated quick enough that you could've blinked and missed it...

To be completely honest with you, it wouldn't surprise me if the Cards were rolled over by the Phillies. Still dang fun to watch the Cards play like this in September.

The Operator
09-28-2011, 10:57 PM
I don't want The Cards in the playoffs, but part of me thinks it would be hilarious if there was no game 163 and Pujols finished the season with 99 RBI... in his contract year. Not that it would matter, he's still going to get a key to Fort Knox, but still.

Anyway, here's hoping The Braves can somehow get out of their own way and pull this game out.

REDblooded
09-28-2011, 11:06 PM
To be completely honest with you, it wouldn't surprise me if the Cards were rolled over by the Phillies. Still dang fun to watch the Cards play like this in September.

It's even more fun to watch "the best fans in baseball" act like just making it to the playoffs this season would justify their teams season as being successful... Because I got trolled to death last season posting on a Cards forum for saying that by merely winning the division the Reds had a successful season...

Because in StL we don't get excited about making the playoffs. We expect it... And that's the difference between Cardinals fans and Reds fans... We're used to winning and have higher expectations because of it... And the simple fact that you're excited about playing an extra 3-5 games over the rest of the league means that you're a fan of a scrub team.

Or something to that effect.

Chip R
09-28-2011, 11:26 PM

I wouldn't bet against the Cards. I know Philly is a juggernaut but StL has been hot for a month and they played well against Philly during the last few weeks of the season.

The Operator
09-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Philly just went up 4-3.

Barring a miracle for The Braves, TLR, Priss and the gang are headed to the postseason. Ugh.

OnBaseMachine
09-28-2011, 11:40 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the Cardinals reach the World Series. 2006 all over again. Epic choke by the Braves.

kaldaniels
09-28-2011, 11:41 PM
I hate the Cardinals, but they deserve a tip of the cap. Hope they get swept.

The Operator
09-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Wow, way to go Atlanta. Here's to hoping The Cards get bounced out in the 1st round.

mdccclxix
09-28-2011, 11:46 PM
What a knife twisting defeat for Atlanta at the hands of their rival, the new king, Philly.

mdccclxix
09-28-2011, 11:47 PM
I don't know why, I always prefer NL Central teams making the playoffs. Forget Atlanta.

mdccclxix
09-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Biggest downside to all this, more Berkman. I can't stand that guy.

kaldaniels
09-28-2011, 11:51 PM
What a knife twisting defeat for Atlanta at the hands of their rival, the new king, Philly.

What about the looks across the infield you were talking about...I missed it.

mdccclxix
09-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Biggest upside: if the Cards advance, Albert may decide he wants to accomplish more elsewhere.

mdccclxix
09-28-2011, 11:53 PM
What about the looks across the infield you were talking about...I missed it.

Yeah, I thought it was a duplicate so I deleted it. There were a lot of "see you next year" looks from the Atlanta bench. Especially their manager. Just my interpretation. Philly fought tooth and nail "for no reason". I'm sure the emotions are just about raw as they can get for Atlanta right now.

mbgrayson
09-28-2011, 11:53 PM
I am amazed they did it it, but they did. Wow. The Cardinals are in the playoffs. I dislike that team very much, but I have to admit that unlike the Reds, they didn't give up. LaRussa and their vets kept the pressure on, and lo and behold, they made it. They had a great September, going 18 wins, 8 losses, and not losing a series since the Reds beat them 2 of 3 in early September.

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Never thought I'd be rooting for Philly this postseason, but I sure will be. Go Phils!

mdccclxix
09-28-2011, 11:57 PM
I'll probably take on AZ or Milwaukee, nah AZ or bust. F Milwaukee too.

AZ
Milwaukee
Philly
Cards

kaldaniels
09-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I thought it was a duplicate so I deleted it. There were a lot of "see you next year" looks from the Atlanta bench. Especially their manager. Just my interpretation. Philly fought tooth and nail "for no reason". I'm sure the emotions are just about raw as they can get for Atlanta right now.

I guess if you are looking at it from Atlanta's viewpoint you can get angry about it, but they really don't have much of a case. Perhaps PHL would rather have STL in the playoff field. If they do and they can make it happen, why not? "For no reason" isn't totally spot-on if you ask me.

mdccclxix
09-29-2011, 12:12 AM
I guess if you are looking at it from Atlanta's viewpoint you can get angry about it, but they really don't have much of a case. Perhaps PHL would rather have STL in the playoff field. If they do and they can make it happen, why not? "For no reason" isn't totally spot-on if you ask me.

Oh I agree, but Atlanta looked to have lost some composure.

cincrazy
09-29-2011, 12:37 AM
I'll certainly be rooting for Philly. But a tip of the cap to St. Louis for completing a miraculous comeback. Say what you will about that team, but they just made baseball history tonight, with a fair bit of help from the Braves, of course.

RedsManRick
09-29-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm sure he could care less right now, but Pujols finished the season with a .299 average and 99 RBI -- the first time he failed to hit .300 or drive in 100.

MikeThierry
09-29-2011, 01:07 AM
I'm sure he could care less right now, but Pujols finished the season with a .299 average and 99 RBI -- the first time he failed to hit .300 or drive in 100.

Yeah, that was an amazing streak and still holds the record. I think he was sort of pressing the last couple of games to get to 100 RBI's. Took some very unconventional swings in his final at bats. Now that he doesn't have to think about the streak anymore, he can relax.

I wouldn't bet against the Cards. I know Philly is a juggernaut but StL has been hot for a month and they played well against Philly during the last few weeks of the season

I think the one thing that could help out the Cardinals is that they do have the best offense in the NL. More importantly, they strike out the least of any team in the NL if not all of baseball. If you look at the Phillies staff, they are strikeout pitchers and the Cards lineup might give them some troubles. I remember a game earlier this year were Cliff Lee gave up something like 7 walks to Cardinals hitters and in the last game against Halladay, they were able to get to them because they were patient at the plate. I'm not saying the Cards will win but that could be one thing that gets them over the top in this series.

Some other thoughts on the game. I know you guys hate Carpenter here but the dude showed you why he is an Ace. Gave up only 2 hits and struck out a season high 11 batters. I know they were the Astros but you gotta give props to him. Also seeing Arthur Rhodes celebrate in the clubhouse kind of gave me a smile. He is one of those good guys in baseball.

CTA513
09-29-2011, 02:15 AM
Reds fans favorite pitcher with a dominate performance to help snatch the NL wild card.

Ron Madden
09-29-2011, 03:36 AM
Like I said earlier, I'm not a huge Fan of the present day Cardinals but I'm glad they beat the Braves out of the Wild Card.

Sure the Braves choked but ya gotta give the Cards credit too. The Cardinals overcame adversity and injuries to win 90 games including 16 of their last 21 games in the heat of the Wild Card race.

cumberlandreds
09-29-2011, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't bet against the Cards. I know Philly is a juggernaut but StL has been hot for a month and they played well against Philly during the last few weeks of the season.

I totally agree with you. The Cards have the hitting to get enough runs to overcome any pitching the Phils throw at them. The Phils haven't been playing well either the last two weeks. It may be hard for them to suddently turn it on. The Cards pitching is just good enough to shutdown the Phillies offense which isn't that great anyway. I think this could be a very good 5 game series that could go either way.

oneupper
09-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Nightmare scenario: Yankees-Cardinals WS with Costas and McCarver announcing. :eek:

cumberlandreds
09-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Nightmare scenario: Yankees-Cardinals WS with Costas and McCarver announcing. :eek:

Costas doesn't work for FOX so you don't have to worry about that. I'd prefer Costas over Buck though.

Redsfan320
09-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Costas doesn't work for FOX so you don't have to worry about that. I'd prefer Costas over Buck though.

Yeah... speaking of FOX broadcasters Matt Vasgersian (also with MLB Network and The Show video game) is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Calls a very solid game, works well with whoever he's with...

oneupper
09-29-2011, 11:14 AM

Costas is Ok as long as the yankees aren't involved.

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-29-2011, 12:09 PM

If that's the case, Go Yankees! :beerme:

MikeThierry
09-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Costas is Ok as long as the yankees aren't involved.

Well I don't know what Costas would do if there was a Yankees/Cards world series. While he is a Yankees honk, he got his career started in St. Louis on KMOX radio so he is a fan of the Cardinals as well. That might be one big love fest if both teams were to make it. Still, a Cards/Yankees World Series would be an old school matchup. Cards currently lead the World Series matchups 3-2.