PDA

View Full Version : Dusty On Mesoraco

FireDusty
09-20-2011, 03:56 PM
"You can tell he still has some things to learn. That's a tough one," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "That's why you really admire a kid like Buster Posey and what [the Giants] did last year -- going to the World Series with a rookie catcher. [Mesoraco] studies hard. He's very conscientious but he still has some things to learn. He's come a long way in a short period of time and still has a long ways to go.

"The raw ability is there, no question. He feels bad when something bad happens to his pitchers. That's how you want your catcher to be."

Crusty Faker

My Take: That comment can be translated into this:

"He not as good as Buster Posey", "He isn't really major league ready", "He's got a long way to go before he can be a major league catcher".

This is the man that will greet these premium prospects. This is how the manager will have the backs of this once in a lifetime slew of prospects. These are the comments that these new players will read.

brm7675
09-20-2011, 04:21 PM
And he is back for the 2012 season....:eek:

powersackers
09-20-2011, 04:31 PM
"You can tell he still has some things to learn. That's a tough one," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "That's why you really admire a kid like Buster Posey and what [the Giants] did last year -- going to the World Series with a rookie catcher. [Mesoraco] studies hard. He's very conscientious but he still has some things to learn. He's come a long way in a short period of time and still has a long ways to go.

"The raw ability is there, no question. He feels bad when something bad happens to his pitchers. That's how you want your catcher to be."

Crusty Faker

My Take: That comment can be translated into this:

"He not as good as Buster Posey", "He isn't really major league ready", "He's got a long way to go before he can be a major league catcher".

This is the man that will greet these premium prospects. This is how the manager will have the backs of this once in a lifetime slew of prospects. These are the comments that these new players will read.

Well we could redo Austin Kearns and Adam Dunn all over again. Tell them how great they are and watch them fall apart due to apathy, injury and laziness.

Jr's Boy
09-20-2011, 05:36 PM
The Reds future as far as the minors go,does not,and will not be relevant under Dusty Baker.And we wonder why this organization does not progress.One good year,now back to the same ole,same ole.As far as expectations go,the Reds are the biggest letdown in major league baseball this season.

brm7675
09-20-2011, 05:37 PM
The Reds future as far as the minors go,does not,and will not be relevant under Dusty Baker.And we wonder why this organization does not progress.One good year,now back to the same ole,same ole.The Reds are the biggest letdown in major league baseball this season.

I wouldn't go that far...

CWRed
09-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Dusty didn't say "big time." That fact alone is big time.

smixsell
09-20-2011, 06:19 PM
As far as expectations go,the Reds are the biggest letdown in major league baseball this season.

Spot on. Baker should have been fired a month ago.

smixsell
09-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Dusty didn't say "big time." That fact alone is big time.

No it's not. It's because Baker's already got his numbers, he's tired, and he's no longer dealin'. :)

Stray
09-20-2011, 07:24 PM
I think it's funny that you take any Dusty quote and flip it your way. There are SO many things to complain about how Dusty has handled this season, him speaking the truth about Mesoraco isn't one of them.

It's obvious he has a lot to learn, and it is also obvious that his raw ability is exciting. How Buster handled the SF pitching staff last season as a rookie was really impressive, but it's also worth noting that he had more time to work with his pitchers. Once they caught fire Posey had a some experience with those guys.

Vottomatic
09-20-2011, 08:01 PM
My prediction is that Mez gets dealt in a trade, Ramon gets re-signed, Stubbs gets dealt...........one or two of the young starting pitchers get dealt, and the Reds acquire a front line pitcher and cleanup hitter. Wouldn't surprise me to see Votto dealt either.

I think this team will look different next year.

texasdave
09-20-2011, 08:10 PM
But why do these kids always have so much to learn when they get to the bigs? What are the minors for? Most players toil four or more years learning the ropes I would think; not to mention having probably played and watched the game since they were 7 or 8 years of age. This game isn't rocket science.

FireDusty
09-20-2011, 08:57 PM
But why do these kids always have so much to learn when they get to the bigs? What are the minors for? Most players toil four or more years learning the ropes I would think; not to mention having probably played and watched the game since they were 7 or 8 years of age. This game isn't rocket science.

It's Dusty protesting that he even has to deal with any rookies at all. mes is already better than the majority of catchers in the big leagues. He just need innings. Innings he didn't get because the damn team waited to long to bring him up.

nux fan
09-20-2011, 09:21 PM
dusty wants to reacquire taveras, patterson, and all his great veterans

texasdave
09-20-2011, 10:00 PM
oops.

texasdave
09-20-2011, 10:01 PM
my bad

TheBigLebowski
09-21-2011, 07:54 AM
The Dusty bashing is reaching epic proportions. There is nothing wrong with these quotes whatsoever. I cannot and will not defend everything Dusty says. But this... if Sparky said something like this about a young Bench no one would raise an eyebrow. Because it's Baker and he's not ready to proclaim Mes is already the best catcher in the history of baseball, the collective panties of the Reds' fanbase are in a wad tight enough to render us all incapable of reproducing which, in some cases, probably is for the better.

texasdave
09-21-2011, 08:01 AM
I don't see a ton of Dusty bashing in this thread. But, hey, that's just me. I also think that with this season of disappointment winding down that fans are just getting a lot of things of their chest at the end. A catharsis of sorts. And, while I am getting things off my chest, it is not so much that they went down, as how. Without trying. At least from a management standpoint. It was easy enough to tell pretty early on this team needed help. The lack of moves in an attempt to right the ship was, and still is, baffling to me. Failure happens; lack of effort should never.

Vottomatic
09-21-2011, 08:13 AM
It'll be huge when Mez finally learns what Dusty is talking about. Then he'll be dealin' big time.

nux fan
09-21-2011, 08:30 AM
dusty is a wonderful strategist, he really uses tendencies, trends and the latest stats to make his informed decisions

for example If a player hits a couple of homers, then he must rest the next day , so that some else can get goin

Vottomatic
09-21-2011, 10:47 AM
dusty is a wonderful strategist, he really uses tendencies, trends and the latest stats to make his informed decisions

for example If a player hits a couple of homers, then he must rest the next day , so that some else can get goin

Yeah, look for those who contributed yesterday to rest today.

FireDusty
09-21-2011, 03:19 PM
The Dusty bashing is reaching epic proportions. There is nothing wrong with these quotes whatsoever. I cannot and will not defend everything Dusty says. But this... if Sparky said something like this about a young Bench no one would raise an eyebrow. Because it's Baker and he's not ready to proclaim Mes is already the best catcher in the history of baseball, the collective panties of the Reds' fanbase are in a wad tight enough to render us all incapable of reproducing which, in some cases, probably is for the better.If you can't see that Dusty's comments about his young players are backhanded slaps in the face & are actually statements reflective of his dislike for having to work with so many young players then you are simply blind as a bat.

Jefferson24
09-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Mes caught a complete game shutout today by Arroyo of all people. I guess that was just dumb luck.