PDA

View Full Version : Worst Fans in College Sports?

Scrap Irony
09-21-2011, 10:03 AM
From another thread...

I'm talking absolute vitriol. Hate, even.

Who's the worst?

In 2005, GQ said WVU, tOSU, Duke, and Minnesota made the top (bottom?) ten, along with Maryland, FSU, and Colorado. The only SEC team to make it is Vandy. (Apathy counts here.)

Last year, they came back with a total worst fans list which included professional teams. (Oddly, Cardinal fans didn't make it.) Only five college teams were mentioned: Maryland, WVU, Penn State football, LSU football, and Duke basketball. Wisconsin and Oredon made the dishonorable mention.

Husker Locker counts Penn State, Notre Dame, UT, Mizzou, USC, and South Carolina in their top ten (along with the aforementioned top four-- WVU, Ohio State, Duke, and Minnesota).

What say ye, Redszone? Whose fans make you scream redrum while rolling around in your bigwheel?

bucksfan2
09-21-2011, 12:10 PM
If apathy and bandwagon fans count then I would have to say that the Hurricanes, Rays, and Marlins are about as poor as they come.

Steelers fans are by far the worst I have ever experienced. Just drunken debauchery.

The most obnoxious fan I have experienced was a Cardinal fan. That doesn't mean the whole fan base is bad, although he did follow suit with their manager, pitching coach, and ace.

I have always been annoyed by UK fans mainly because in Cincinnati you are surrounded by them.

I have heard bad things about going to football games in Morgantown.

redhawkfish
09-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Equal to me would be UK or Ohio State fans!

Captain13
09-21-2011, 02:13 PM
WVU, nowhere else in college sports have I ever feared for my safety or that of my family.

LoganBuck
09-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Wisconsin at night gets pretty ugly.

BuckeyeRed27
09-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Wisconsin at night gets pretty ugly.

I went to the OSU/Wisco game at night last year and it was fine. Infact I had a great time hanging and tailgating with their fans before the game.

This topic is tough because of "outliers". Every fan base has stupid fans. Schools like OSU and Penn State and Alabama have more "outliers" because they have more fans. In general though most of these fan bases are just passionate and have traditions that, while some other schools find annoying, are sacred to that school.

I think the worst fans are either band wagon fan bases (Miami) or just generally unsupportive fan bases (UCLA, most of the ACC).

dabvu2498
09-21-2011, 02:41 PM
University of Tennessee has to get some mention. Lulu and Junior were not caricatures.

Oxilon
09-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Can't really speak for the worst fan base. But as far as the best goes, I'd have to put Nebraska fans up there pretty high. Been to one game and I didn't come across any unruly fans. Keep in mind, these are the same people who cheered 'Heisman' to Ricky Williams after he torched them in the Big 12 Championship game. They make Cardinal fans look like amateurs. ;)

Sea Ray
09-21-2011, 04:15 PM
University of Tennessee has to get some mention. Lulu and Junior were not caricatures.

UT? What do they ever do other than pound Rocky Top into your brain?

I have a different criteria I guess. I judge by the behavior of fans I interact with at sportsbars and violence that happens on and around campus after a big game

dabvu2498
09-21-2011, 04:32 PM

I have a different criteria I guess. I judge by the behavior of fans I interact with at sportsbars and violence that happens on and around campus after a big game

Nope. Same criteria.

MWM
09-21-2011, 05:08 PM
I used to think Cubs fans were the most obnoxious fans anywhere along with Dallas Cowboys fans. I think Steelers fans are about as insufferable as can be too. I even used to think Ohio State fans, the ones in Columbus, were up there as well.

But when I moved south, I learned that everyone else is tame compared to the ever so lovely "SEC Fan". Nothing else is even close in my experience.

WVRed
09-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Depends on how you clasify "worst"

If we're talking obnoxious, mine is Ohio State. The same fans crucified other schools for recruiting violations or being dirty programs but will turn Jim Tressel into the second coming of Pete Rose.

If we're talking worst in terms of fan behavior, then WVU would top the list, although for the most part, its the younger generation. I can talk with most of the older fans and can carry on a civil conversation. I don't even try to debate with the younger fans anymore. If a young WVU fan throws up Cal's cheating history to me, I just reply "I'd rather have the cheater than the alcoholic" and end it.

In the SEC though, the worst fans as far as behavior is Mississippi State. I still remember a couple years ago when their fans were throwing stuff onto the court after Kentucky won in OT in Starkville that year. They also got hold of DeMarcus Cousins cell phone number and sent harrassing messages, although Cousins did respond back with a "call me" sign after a dunk. Of course, I can't stand their coach either in Rick Stansbury.

As for Duke/UNC, living in West Virginia I can say this. When I first moved here eight years ago was the end of the Gale Catlett era and the beginning of John Beilein. You wouldn't have known WVU had a basketball team at the time but most of the basketball fans I knew followed Duke or UNC (mostly Duke). When WVU started winning, those fans started to switch back to the gold and blue. Basically, the only Duke/UNC experience I have had is bandwagon.

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Steelers fans, Purdue fans, California sports fans and the worst offenders of all: the entire SEC fan base besides Tennessee and Vandy, with LSU and Arkansas being particularly awful.

jojo
09-22-2011, 01:57 AM
Steelers fans, Purdue fans, California sports fans and the worst offenders of all: the entire SEC fan base besides Tennessee and Vandy, with LSU and Arkansas being particularly awful.

Sounds like someone just doesn't like the SEC.

Auburn is an incredible football experience for visiting fans. The game day atmosphere is generally electric and the home fans are very courteous and friendly toward visiting fans.

reds1869
09-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Chalk up another vote for WVU. As a member of Marshall's band in 1997 it was the only time I actually feared for my safety at a game. Fans rocked our bus, threw rocks at us and generally treated us like garbage. I've been to games in that stadium as a neutral fan as well and it always made me feel slightly ashamed to acknowledge that the eer fans were also from West Virginia. I realize they aren't all like that--my parents are diehards and would never behave that way--but as a group they make Mountaineer Field a scary place and not in a good way.

RANDY IN INDY
09-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Without a doubt, wvu. I have never been treated worse at any stadium. Most anywhere you go, you will run into someone who has had a bad experience in morgantown.

Interesting..........

http://www.dailymail.com/ap/ApTopStories/201109200966

Even the athletic director knows they have a problem........and wants to promote a "more favorable image."

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/page.cfm?cat=netnews&story=19264

The worst were the WVU fans who came to Huntington for the game wearing t-shirts that said, "We are Marshall" on the front, and on the back, a picture of a plane crashing with the words, "'No you're not."

wvu fans could take a lesson from Virginia Tech........... Classy!

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/recaps/20110920aaa.html

Can say the same about ECU fans who treated my son and I like we were part of their family when we attended a Marshall/ECU game in Greenville, a couple of years back.

MWM
09-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Auburn is an incredible football experience for visiting fans. The game day atmosphere is generally electric and the home fans are very courteous and friendly toward visiting fans.

The question was asked and people have answered. Why can't it just be because that's their experience with the fanbase instead of some hatred towards the conference?

And it's not the fans of individual teams. When they're fans of their team, it's not so bad. It's when they are "SEC Fans" that's the problem.

Sea Ray
09-22-2011, 11:44 AM
The question was asked and people have answered. Why can't it just be because that's their experience with the fanbase instead of some hatred towards the conference?

And it's not the fans of individual teams. When they're fans of their team, it's not so bad. It's when they are "SEC Fans" that's the problem.

That's quite a broad brush you're using

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-22-2011, 11:59 AM

This is exactly right. SEC fans have asked - demanded - to be thought of as one entity with their actions and antics toward teams and fans of other conferences. When SEC fans would rather see their bitter rivals win (Alabama fans rooting for Auburn; Georgia fans rooting for Florida) against teams outside of the SEC, then they're inviting the pack mentality that the rest of the nation pins on them.

The "SEC ... SEC ... SEC" chants during non-conference games are a big turnoff. I'll give an exception to Tennessee fans because they don't seem to engage in that behavior: their football team actually leaves the southeast on occasion to play road games against good teams, the ones I've met are embarrassed by the "SEC uber alles" attitude, and they're very interested in the traditions of other schools. (Plus their coeds are incredibly hot.)

jmcclain19
09-22-2011, 12:09 PM
UCLA has the worst fans I've ever seen. Watching a football game w/ UCLA in the Rose Bowl is one of the most terrible experiences I've ever had. And I was dumb enough to go twice.

It's the "Gee I hope I dont' get stabbed" tonight variety.

I'll take loud and proud of their schools all day long. The chants and what have you don't bother me. UCLA's fans fight, throw bottles and generally intimidate when their teams don't win.

marcshoe
09-22-2011, 12:39 PM
WVU always has problems with the fans who think that being drunk and ignorant is a good thing (I don't get college students having that attitude, but it is what it is.) Have to admit, though, that Marshall's putting up billboards in Morgantown about how many "championships" they had won, using a really loose definition of that word, contributed to Marshall/WVU incidents. Marshall goaded for quite a while, acting like WVU was an inferior rival, and got the expected, if awful, response. I've noticed things have calmed down now around Marshall. Don't know if there are any hopes of WVU fans growing up.

reds1869
09-22-2011, 01:31 PM
WVU always has problems with the fans who think that being drunk and ignorant is a good thing (I don't get college students having that attitude, but it is what it is.) Have to admit, though, that Marshall's putting up billboards in Morgantown about how many "championships" they had won, using a really loose definition of that word, contributed to Marshall/WVU incidents. Marshall goaded for quite a while, acting like WVU was an inferior rival, and got the expected, if awful, response. I've noticed things have calmed down now around Marshall. Don't know if there are any hopes of WVU fans growing up.

Because clearly fans throwing objects is similar to an athletic department buying advertising.

*BaseClogger*
09-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Notre Dame and all of their NBC-watching fans across the country who still think their football program is relevant...

marcshoe
09-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Because clearly fans throwing objects is similar to an athletic department buying advertising.

I didn't say anything remotely like that.

reds1869
09-22-2011, 02:30 PM
I didn't say anything remotely like that.

Perhaps not, but to me your comment below sure sounds an awful lot like saying "they were asking for it." It attempts to justify the "response" by WVU fans with some perceived action by Marshall. And for the record WVU puts up plenty of billboards in the Huntington area.

Have to admit, though, that Marshall's putting up billboards in Morgantown about how many "championships" they had won, using a really loose definition of that word, contributed to Marshall/WVU incidents. Marshall goaded for quite a while, acting like WVU was an inferior rival, and got the expected, if awful, response.

RichRed
09-22-2011, 02:36 PM
wvu fans could take a lesson from Virginia Tech........... Classy!

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/recaps/20110920aaa.html

Can say the same about ECU fans who treated my son and I like we were part of their family when we attended a Marshall/ECU game in Greenville, a couple of years back.

I can't stand Va. Tech, but that's probably because I see their Johnny-come-lately fans around here all the time. I do think they're pretty well-behaved though, for the most part.

My brother is an ECU grad, so I've been to a couple of games there, and I agree that the atmosphere is pretty good.

My votes for worst fans all come from the professional ranks: Dallas Cowboys, Phillies, Eagles, and Steelers. I've heard the Maryland fans can be pretty nasty, but I haven't witnessed it first-hand.

marcshoe
09-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Perhaps not, but to me your comment below sure sounds an awful lot like saying "they were asking for it." It attempts to justify the "response" by WVU fans with some perceived action by Marshall. And for the record WVU puts up plenty of billboards in the Huntington area.

Have to admit, though, that Marshall's putting up billboards in Morgantown about how many "championships" they had won, using a really loose definition of that word, contributed to Marshall/WVU incidents. Marshall goaded for quite a while, acting like WVU was an inferior rival, and got the expected, if awful, response.

Perhaps having worked in Huntington at the time, hearing Marshall fans tell me how they would beat WVU regularly and decisively if they only got the chance to play them taints my views a little. I'm not talking equivalency, though. What I'm saying is that the WVU fans' behavior didn't occur in a vacuum. Again, WVU fans' behavior has been inexcusable--I've been clear on that here and elsewhere.

btw, my Masters' is from Marshall. I've known quite a few guys who played football there. I'm not anti-Marshall at all.

I am a realist, and for a while there, Marshall fans could be pretty obnoxious. I don't blame them; they were winning and had a handful of great players (more than WVU at the time). It's just that they were unrealistic about what all this meant. The hubris of new success, I guess. I don't see that now, though. The hatred for WVU has subsided from what I see. I've never believed there was a reason there had to be rancor between the two schools.

To be clear, I think your mistake is assuming that I'm "justify"ing anything. I'm simply giving the background; that does not justify. Saying that the background should not be given, otoh, means that we point figures in a dark cave. I also in no way said "they were asking for it". Attempts at understanding do not equal justification. The WVU fans who acted in this way (not all of them, btw) were dead wrong in what they did, but that did not mean they were a mindless horde of ogres sent from the depths of Mordor.

dabvu2498
09-22-2011, 03:13 PM

I agree. I've been a lot of places in the SEC as a visiting fan, with my team's gear on. Everywhere but Arkansas, Miss State and Auburn, in fact. Only place I've ever gotten any grief, above good natured ribbing, was UT. And that came no where near the level of crap I took off of Michigan fans as a visitor in Ann Arbor.

Sea Ray
09-22-2011, 04:01 PM
This is exactly right. SEC fans have asked - demanded - to be thought of as one entity with their actions and antics toward teams and fans of other conferences. When SEC fans would rather see their bitter rivals win (Alabama fans rooting for Auburn; Georgia fans rooting for Florida) against teams outside of the SEC, then they're inviting the pack mentality that the rest of the nation pins on them.

I think it's a positive to see Ga fans rooting for FL. In fact I'd find it petty to root against a team just because you "hate" them. One is a positive act, the other negative.

RANDY IN INDY
09-22-2011, 04:07 PM
The thing about the wvu fans is that the bad behavior isn't only when they are playing Marshall. It extends to any team that happens to take the field. I travel quite a bit and when I meet people and they ask where I am from, the exploits and stories of the wvu fans and the way they treat visiting teams and their fans is almost always brought up. When I tell them that I am a Marshall fan only, they always lighten up.

marcshoe
09-22-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm hoping that Luck takes the problem seriously. The last game I was at in Morgantown (Maryland last year) things were better than I'd seen before, but there were still incidents. I noticed that security had been beefed up and was taking care of problems much more quickly

I hope that the current SEC situation helps fans know that portraying themselves as ignorant hillbillies is not a good thing. I doubt it will, but one can always hope.

Roy Tucker
09-22-2011, 05:25 PM
I got to think that alcohol sales in college stadiums has a lot to do with this.

The saving grace for OSU is that they don't sell any alcohol in the stadium nor now do they allow it at tailgating on OSU property. People still manage to get pretty lubed up, but I can't imagine what the Shoe would be like if beer got sold during the game.

OSU also doesn't have much of a problem selling out (or nearly so) every game so they don't have to use beer sales as a lure to get people to come to the ballgame.

jojo
09-22-2011, 05:46 PM

He specifically said the entire SEC fanbase (with the exception of Tennessee and Vandy). There is not way such a blanket statement could possibly be true. I gave one case (Auburn) where the exceptional treatment of visiting fans is well known.

jojo
09-22-2011, 05:50 PM

If I had a dollar for every Bama fan that rooted for Auburn to win in any situation, I'd maybe have enough money to buy the Sunday paper.

The "SEC ... SEC ... SEC" chants during non-conference games are a big turnoff. I'll give an exception to Tennessee fans because they don't seem to engage in that behavior: their football team actually leaves the southeast on occasion to play road games against good teams, the ones I've met are embarrassed by the "SEC uber alles" attitude, and they're very interested in the traditions of other schools. (Plus their coeds are incredibly hot.)

I'm wondering how many SEC member games you've actually been too. This as a phenomenon is way over blown. Tennessee is the only SEC team that plays tough road games out of conference? I'm again calling bias.

BuckeyeRed27
09-22-2011, 05:53 PM
I got to think that alcohol sales in college stadiums has a lot to do with this.

The saving grace for OSU is that they don't sell any alcohol in the stadium nor now do they allow it at tailgating on OSU property. People still manage to get pretty lubed up, but I can't imagine what the Shoe would be like if beer got sold during the game.

OSU also doesn't have much of a problem selling out (or nearly so) every game so they don't have to use beer sales as a lure to get people to come to the ballgame.

I'll have to see if I can find it online, but I actually read a study that said that schools that do allow alcohol sales at games have fewer instances of violence and arrests both during and after games. The theory was that when people can't buy alcohol at the stadium they drink more before hand than people who have the option of buying beer at the game.

MWM
09-22-2011, 06:14 PM
He specifically said the entire SEC fanbase (with the exception of Tennessee and Vandy). There is not way such a blanket statement could possibly be true. I gave one case (Auburn) where the exceptional treatment of visiting fans is well known.

My perception has nothing to do with attending games. I've attended a couple of games in SEC stadiums, but that was years ago and as a casual observer, not a fan of either team. I'm sure the experience attending games in the SEC is great. But that wasn't the point.

It's when they take off their team hat and put on their SEC hat that it's different, and it's not in the stadiums, it's in everyday interactions. And hey, it's an opinion, nothing else. I offered one based on my experience, so there is no right or wrong. It's my perception. Maybe its just as bad for outsiders living in Big Ten country. I can't really say. I just don't talk college football with people around here, and I stopped wearing anything that reveals my loyalties if I watch a game in public. Makes things more bearable.

WVRed
09-22-2011, 08:00 PM
My perception has nothing to do with attending games. I've attended a couple of games in SEC stadiums, but that was years ago and as a casual observer, not a fan of either team. I'm sure the experience attending games in the SEC is great. But that wasn't the point.

It's when they take off their team hat and put on their SEC hat that it's different, and it's not in the stadiums, it's in everyday interactions. And hey, it's an opinion, nothing else. I offered one based on my experience, so there is no right or wrong. It's my perception. Maybe its just as bad for outsiders living in Big Ten country. I can't really say. I just don't talk college football with people around here, and I stopped wearing anything that reveals my loyalties if I watch a game in public. Makes things more bearable.

The same could be said for every other conference. I don't know about pulling for your rival to do well in a bowl game (ex Ohio State fans pulling for Michigan), but if you are a member of a conference, you should want that conference to hold up in bowl games or March Madness.

I've seen Ohio State fans who flaunt the Big Ten and WVU fans who pull for the rest of the Big East teams to do well. It makes the conference and themselves look that much stronger.

And the SEC, well, things might be different if they hadn't won the last five national championships. If the B10 had done it, it would be the same in Columbus, Ann Arbor, etc.

RANDY IN INDY
09-22-2011, 08:46 PM
No doubt

WVRed
09-23-2011, 11:42 AM

Seems like the Marshall-WVU argument makes its way into every thread. This isn't directed at anybody in particular, just seems that it always happens.

I've lived in Parkersburg for the past eight years, before that I lived in Kentucky outside of Huntington. I am a UK fan first, although I have been to a couple Marshall games and usually pull for the Herd when they are playing. My fiancee and her family are WVU fans so I usually follow the Mountaineers, but haven't really considered myself a "fan".

That being said, I have thought about jumping ship especially with my feelings toward Kentucky football. Basketball drives the bus in the bluegrass, similar to Kansas and the Carolina schools. When Rich Brooks retired (mostly due to his unhappiness with money being funneled everywhere but football), Joker Phillips, a UK alum and offensive coordinator, was named his replacement. Despite breaking the streak against Steve Spurrier last year, UK has looked pretty abysmal, even in the loss to Louisville and playing it close against Western Kentucky.

The problem isn't even with coaching, its with the fans and expectations. UK basketball fans expect to be in contention for a national championship year in and year out. Football fans are happy with just making it to a 6-6 bowl game. With Joker being a UK alum, he will likely get a longer leash than anybody else Kentucky has ever brought in.

West Virginia has stupid fans. Every fan base does but in Morgantown being drunk and ignorant seems to be a prevalent theme among the student section. I was there last year for the Rutgers game and it could be because of the lackluster product on the field (WVU still won), but most of the student section clears out at halftime.

That was the first I had heard of Marshall putting billboards in Morgantown bragging about "championships" (which is kind of a soft spot for WVU unless you count the rifle team). It is kinda silly though, would be like Morehead State putting up billboards in Lexington. WVU putting billboards in Huntington shouldn't be a big deal, as WVU is the flagship school of the state, but I've lived close to there and Cabell County is not too receptive of people from "Morganhole".

I'll always contend that the Friends of Coal Bowl should have been played, except about five years too late from when it started. Marshall put a scare into WVU at Mountaineer Field, and with the fan treatment there from reds1869 described and others i've talked to (WVU fans making shirts making fun of the plane crash), I think a return trip to Huntington the following year would have likely resulted in a WVU loss and probably embarrassing behavior on both sides.

I think the calming down of Marshall has more to do with them moving to C-USA (a huge mistake) and having to deal with probation and the mediocrity of the Mark Snyder years. I'll be interested in seeing how they do Saturday against Virginia Tech in Huntington. One of the football magazines here in Parkersburg has both writers predicting WVU to beat LSU and Marshall to beat the Hokies. I doubt it happens.

RANDY IN INDY
09-23-2011, 12:46 PM
As much as I dislike wvu, I can see them upsetting LSU in the "hole." No way that I see the Herd making the game competitive against Tech. Hope I am wrong on both counts.:)

reds1869
09-23-2011, 12:53 PM
As much as I dislike wvu, I can see them upsetting LSU in the "hole." No way that I see the Herd making the game competitive against Tech. Hope I am wrong on both counts.:)

If the Herd that played Southern Miss shows up they can make it a game. If the Herd that played Ohio shows up it will be ugly. As for the 'eers, I think they have a good shot at LSU.

WVRed I think you probably have a pretty good idea why a Herd fan who grew up in Parkersburg like I did would have less than friendly feelings towards WVU. The MU/WVU debate has certainly cooled because MU has been down. It is really only diehards of both schools who give it much thought right now. But much like the other rivalry I'm passionate about--Xavier/UC--it will heat back up once both teams are good.

Scrap Irony
09-23-2011, 01:04 PM
The problem isn't even with coaching, its with the fans and expectations.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, WVRed. UK football fans are among the best the country has to offer. They're almost universally positive, appreciative, and willing to spend, travel, and support a team that is historically abysmal.

They continually rank in the upper 25 in attendance despite poor records and poorer coaching. Too, when they inevitably lose, there's no anger directed at opposing teams, just glazed expressions as they silently file out of the stadium.

They are also willing to tailgate with anyone, regardless of of team affiliation. (Heck, Louisville and Kentucky fans regularly hand out together.)

Basketball is another kettle of fish. (I've posted my feelings on those people before.) But football in Kentucky is universally pleasant.

WVRed
09-23-2011, 05:52 PM
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, WVRed. UK football fans are among the best the country has to offer. They're almost universally positive, appreciative, and willing to spend, travel, and support a team that is historically abysmal.

They continually rank in the upper 25 in attendance despite poor records and poorer coaching. Too, when they inevitably lose, there's no anger directed at opposing teams, just glazed expressions as they silently file out of the stadium.

They are also willing to tailgate with anyone, regardless of of team affiliation. (Heck, Louisville and Kentucky fans regularly hand out together.)

Basketball is another kettle of fish. (I've posted my feelings on those people before.) But football in Kentucky is universally pleasant.

I think there's some miscommunication somewhere (possibly on my end). The issue isn't with fan behavior (and I think you summed up all the positives of Kentucky football fans), but the attitude of fans when it comes to settling for mediocrity.

Most UK fans are happy with going 6-6 every year and going to the Music City Bowl. That is where my problem is. The program is trending backwards since Joker Phillips took over and really IMO Joker is in over his head. We fired a basketball coach two years in, albeit one who had no Kentucky ties and was completely abrasive.

With the possibility of WVU coming into the conference as well as Texas A&M on a rotating basis, scheduling three cupcakes and picking off some wins against the worst of the SEC is going to be a lot harder. Not to mention I believe eventually its going to reach a point where the mediocrity bowls for 6-6 teams will eventually be done away with.

I think a coaching change would work, especially right now. Two coaches I think would possibly come to Lexington in Mike Leach and Rich Rodriguez. This program needs to spend money to show that its committed to winning, and a coach with a new philosophy and a niche to attract recruits would be a nice way to start.

But it ultimately starts with the fans expectations. I'd like to see UK compete for a BCS bowl sometime in my lifetime. I might be the only one though.

RANDY IN INDY
09-23-2011, 05:56 PM
I would too. Have always liked UK.

WVRed
09-23-2011, 06:24 PM
If reports I heard today are true, the WVU-LSU game could get very nasty tomorrow.

Some LSU fans who made the trip to Morgantown showed up in WVU classrooms today and chanted "Tigerbait!" and "SEC". Theres been several posts about it on WVU message boards, but nothing official anywhere else.

I think the game should be renamed the "Inebriation Bowl". Nothing like getting Mountaineers and Cajuns together in a football stadium.

IslandRed
09-25-2011, 01:10 PM
I think there's some miscommunication somewhere (possibly on my end). The issue isn't with fan behavior (and I think you summed up all the positives of Kentucky football fans), but the attitude of fans when it comes to settling for mediocrity.

Most UK fans are happy with going 6-6 every year and going to the Music City Bowl. That is where my problem is. The program is trending backwards since Joker Phillips took over and really IMO Joker is in over his head. We fired a basketball coach two years in, albeit one who had no Kentucky ties and was completely abrasive.

I absolutely see your point here.

At the same time, demanding is not the same as deserving. If a dispassionate analysis is done of UK and its competitors, considering every factor and precondition of success in college football, there's no way to slice it in a manner that doesn't place UK at fifth in the current SEC East in the so-called natural order of things. The other schools sans Vanderbilt are either in states with better recruiting bases, or they simply and ultimately care more about football, or both.

Those things are flipped in basketball. Kentucky fans are very demanding, but it's the demanding of the spoiled, not the demanding of the unreasonable. UK has the history, the tradition, the brand name, and all of that flows from the unquestioned need to win in hoops that no other SEC school has. They should win and everyone knows it.

So that's the thing. As a whole, UK fans want to win at football. They don't desperately need to win. Which is why they are, as you put it, accepting of mediocrity. The other thing is, even if they decide not to accept it, if they decide they desperately want to win, that still won't change their natural place on the food chain. There's not a lot they can do except endlessly cycle through coaches waiting for the bolt of lightning to strike.

SunDeck
09-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Curiously, the fans most people seem to hate usually come from places with successful teams.

And then there are the Cubs.

Sea Ray
09-25-2011, 08:58 PM
As much as I dislike wvu, I can see them upsetting LSU in the "hole."

If As for the 'eers, I think they have a good shot at LSU.

Underestimating the SEC again?

Myself, I think it's best to show your bias outwardly:

LSU won't be seriously challenged until they play Tenn in a few weeks...

jojo
09-25-2011, 09:13 PM

Florida dominated the Vols but the Vols will give LSU a better challenge?

Maybe if Bray wasnt so immobile.

WVRed
09-25-2011, 11:16 PM

Agreed. LSU won't face a stiff challenge until Alabama or Florida.

WVRed
09-25-2011, 11:24 PM
I absolutely see your point here.

At the same time, demanding is not the same as deserving. If a dispassionate analysis is done of UK and its competitors, considering every factor and precondition of success in college football, there's no way to slice it in a manner that doesn't place UK at fifth in the current SEC East in the so-called natural order of things. The other schools sans Vanderbilt are either in states with better recruiting bases, or they simply and ultimately care more about football, or both.

Those things are flipped in basketball. Kentucky fans are very demanding, but it's the demanding of the spoiled, not the demanding of the unreasonable. UK has the history, the tradition, the brand name, and all of that flows from the unquestioned need to win in hoops that no other SEC school has. They should win and everyone knows it.

So that's the thing. As a whole, UK fans want to win at football. They don't desperately need to win. Which is why they are, as you put it, accepting of mediocrity. The other thing is, even if they decide not to accept it, if they decide they desperately want to win, that still won't change their natural place on the food chain. There's not a lot they can do except endlessly cycle through coaches waiting for the bolt of lightning to strike.

I think a lot of my problem is living in a state where football is breathed daily.

West Virginia is in the same boat as Kentucky with the exception that in Morgantown, football drives the bus. Both are schools in poor, low populated states that don't produce much in-state talent.

The key for WVU is:
1.Having an offensive minded coach who has a calling card to get recruits to come and play for him

2.Not so much since Holliday left, but having an assistant coach with a pipeline into a state full of talent (Florida).

I understand the whole natural order of things in the SEC, and while success wouldn't happen overnight, this is a year with so many good coaches on the market that Kentucky could send a message to its fans not only that they are putting a new face on the football team, but that they would spend more money on the program and do what it takes to make a quality team in the SEC.

IslandRed
09-26-2011, 03:06 AM
I understand the whole natural order of things in the SEC, and while success wouldn't happen overnight, this is a year with so many good coaches on the market that Kentucky could send a message to its fans not only that they are putting a new face on the football team, but that they would spend more money on the program and do what it takes to make a quality team in the SEC.

Yep. On the one hand, a school like Kentucky requires patience in order to build a winner, and capricious hiring and firing is going to turn off the very coaching prospects who might be able to do the job. Canning a coach after two years won't look good. On the other hand, if the program is obviously going the wrong direction, sooner is generally better than later.

I understand the dynamics, kind of, because I'm a Florida State grad and we have a similar struggle with our basketball program. It's a fringe NCAA Tournament program and it took several years under Leonard Hamilton to build it to that point. But in the ACC, many schools care more about hoops than we do; our natural place is "meh." The fan base is evenly split between wanting to fire Hamilton and find someone who can move us to the next level, and those who believe the likely result of a change is that the program heads back down to NIT-if-we're-lucky. It's a tough spot to be stuck in the middle, and I don't pretend to know the right answer.

Sea Ray
09-26-2011, 10:29 AM

I understand. A lot of stuff will have tyo go right. Losing their top WR (Hunter) early in the FL game really screwed 'em up. They'll have time to work in a replacement by Oct 15th.

My guess is UT will play them tough and LSU will win it late. Last yr UT very nearly beat LSU in Baton Rouge only to lose it on a controversial review after time expired. In fact if they had NFL rules, UT would have won

EDIT: I'm going to copy/paste my post and put it in the SEC thread. If we care to continue along these lines it probably ought to be there

RANDY IN INDY
09-26-2011, 12:30 PM

:confused:

Sea Ray
09-26-2011, 12:33 PM
:confused:

Whoops. I missed FL.

Good catch...:redface:

I'm rooting for a hard faught victory vs FL before heading to Knoxville

RANDY IN INDY
09-27-2011, 09:15 AM
More proof of the worst fans in College Sports:

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/briefs/x1067615461/Police-LSU-fans-attacked-following-W-Va-game#.ToG0mQ1npN0.facebook

Good way to influence the SEC and let them know that you want to be a member. Might have a little to do with conferences not wanting to accept wvu.

WMR
09-27-2011, 12:29 PM
More proof of the worst fans in College Sports:

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/briefs/x1067615461/Police-LSU-fans-attacked-following-W-Va-game#.ToG0mQ1npN0.facebook

Good way to influence the SEC and let them know that you want to be a member. Might have a little to do with conferences not wanting to accept wvu.

Pathetic. Exactly why I don't want WVA in the SEC.

WVRed
09-27-2011, 04:12 PM

I'm sticking to my original suggestion. Admit WVU into the SEC as long as they agree to make Jesco White the real life mascot. White better defines the word "Mountaineer" than a guy in a coonskin hat and rifle. :D

marcshoe
09-29-2011, 12:32 PM

Except the HD misplayed this one. The wife says this had nothing to do with football and the only person wearing LSU gear wasn't visible when the attack began. Just the usual overreaching, portraying WVU fans as Demons from the netherworld.

"I was wearing a baby blue jacket. The only guy that had on any LSU paraphernalia was sitting in the back seat of my car, which has black tinted windows. And it was night," she said.

She said she's disturbed some are blaming her husband's attack on WVU's rivalry with LSU.

"These guys were looking for a fight. It didn't matter who we were," she said. "I really don't like this craziness. There's a big enough fight between WVU and LSU."

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports/201109273190

No surprise that Chuck Landon was involved in the "reporting" on this. I think WVU must have stolen his girlfriend and then run over his dog.

RANDY IN INDY
09-29-2011, 04:58 PM
This is the norm, not the exception in morgantown. I don't know how anyone can say different with a straight face. I travel quite a bit and when I meet people and they ask me where I'm from, the question always comes up. "What in the world is wrong with those wvu fans?" or, "We went to a game in morgantown and were shocked at the way we were treated." It's like the never-ending story and it really makes me hate to tell anyone I am from the state of West Virginia. Disappointing.

IslandRed
09-29-2011, 09:54 PM
The wife says this had nothing to do with football and the only person wearing LSU gear wasn't visible when the attack began. Just the usual overreaching...

Okay, so instead of a pack looking to beat the crap out of LSU fans after the game, there was a pack looking to beat the crap out of anybody after the game. Are you sure that's going to make people feel safer? :p

marcshoe
09-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Oh, yes! Gotta beware of those roving packs of hillbillies! Wrong Turn was a documentary after all!

Geesh.

Yes, WVU students have developed a culture of drunkenness, a reputation they feel they have to live up to. That doesn't mean that every incident has to be exaggerated to the point that it's looked at as typical. Chuck Landon at the Herald Dispatch has an well-documented extreme bias against WVU, and he and his paper aren't exactly neutral sources.

In this case the main victim's wife, who was herself a victim, says this has been misreported. What more do you want?

jojo
09-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Except the HD misplayed this one. The wife says this had nothing to do with football and the only person wearing LSU gear wasn't visible when the attack began. Just the usual overreaching, portraying WVU fans as Demons from the netherworld.

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports/201109273190

No surprise that Chuck Landon was involved in the "reporting" on this. I think WVU must have stolen his girlfriend and then run over his dog.

This also fits with the notion that LSU fans probably weren't driving legally and didn't have license plates on their car....

Mario-Rijo
09-29-2011, 10:51 PM

So you judge a schools fan base by the ones who are liquored up, and you have a problem with someone else's criteria? :confused:

Sea Ray
10-03-2011, 12:51 PM
So you judge a schools fan base by the ones who are liquored up, and you have a problem with someone else's criteria? :confused:

Where do you find fans that aren't liquored up? Seems to me that's a possibility no matter where you go.

*BaseClogger*
10-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Where do you find fans that aren't liquored up? Seems to me that's a possibility no matter where you go.

BYU?

bucksfan2
10-03-2011, 01:14 PM
BYU?

What about Utah?

gonelong
10-03-2011, 01:17 PM
The "Worst Fans in College Sports" is whoever just won the conference/national/league championship/title or whoever just beat your favorite team. If they have done it fairly regularly over some time period, they are particularly heinous.

Somehow, Cub fans supercede both rules.

GL

Sea Ray
10-03-2011, 03:58 PM
BYU?

OK, I get your line of thinking. So are you saying we can't compare BYU with Ohio State because one set of fans drink heavily and one doesn't?

My point was how do you judge an OSU fanbase if you say we shouldn't include the ones who are liquored up?

Sea Ray
10-03-2011, 03:59 PM
The "Worst Fans in College Sports" is whoever just won the conference/national/league championship/title or whoever just beat your favorite team. If they have done it fairly regularly over some time period, they are particularly heinous.

Somehow, Cub fans supercede both rules.

GL

I don't agree with that. Some fans burn up the town like Vancouver, CA did and some don't

gonelong
10-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't agree with that.

No, seriously, Cubs fans are that bad. :p

GL