PDA

View Full Version : The WORST thing that could have happened

redssince75
09-21-2011, 06:57 PM
While I'm happy for Bronson, he seems like a decent enough guy, and wish he could pitch like that all the time....I'm afraid that if he has a couple of good outings to end the year, he'll be solidly pencilled in to next year's rotation, instead of us trying to upgrade.

brm7675
09-21-2011, 06:59 PM
So you are willing to disreguard all he has done over the past few seasons because he has had one bad year and wasn't 100% healthy? Sorry but I have him as our 3 guy and have no issues with that at all.

Stray
09-21-2011, 06:59 PM
He was going to be in the rotation anyway lol. Good starts like today will just give him something to build on next year.

texasdave
09-21-2011, 07:41 PM
He was going to be in the rotation anyway lol. Good starts like today will just give him something to build on next year.

Yep. I bet he is pumped now that he knows he can get AAA hitters out. If one was being honest, one would have to recognize that this Astros team is horrible. Especially offensively. They are averaging under three runs a game in September. It would be a chore NOT to shut them down.

brm7675
09-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Yep. I bet he is pumped now that he knows he can get AAA hitters out. If one was being honest, one would have to recognize that this Astros team is horrible. Especially offensively. They are averaging under three runs a game in September. It would be a chore NOT to shut them down.

What was the mighty Homers line on tuesday against this lineup?

redsfanmia
09-21-2011, 07:52 PM
His contract dictates that he will be in the rotation, not a few good outings at the end of the year.

DocRed
09-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Even a busted clock is right twice a day..today's game is meaningless

brm7675
09-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Even a busted clock is right twice a day..today's game is meaningless

No game is meaningless. Here is Bronson who has struggled this season able to go out and go 9 innings with less then 100 pitches aginst a MLB team. Yes it was the Astros, but I didn't see Homer do that last night? Or some of our bullpen pitchers keep them off the board?

texasdave
09-21-2011, 08:17 PM
No game is meaningless. Here is Bronson who has struggled this season able to go out and go 9 innings with less then 100 pitches aginst a MLB team. Yes it was the Astros, but I didn't see Homer do that last night? Or some of our bullpen pitchers keep them off the board?

Even Bronson knows it was a joke. Everyone but you. You just want to argue.

"Those guys are out of it and we're out of it," Arroyo said. "Sometimes, teams tend to be a little aggressive, and it can have the vibe of a Spring Training game. For the first three or four innings, it had a vibe like that.

There was only one thought on the minds of the AAAstros this afternoon. Get the last road game of the season of a dismal season, being played in the rain, over with as quickly as possible. Check out the ORG game thread. Every can see it but you. Amazing.

brm7675
09-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Even Bronson knows it was a joke. Everyone but you. You just want to argue.

There was only one thought on the minds of the AAAstros this afternoon. Get the last road game of the season of a dismal season, being played in the rain, over with as quickly as possible. Check out the ORG game thread. Every can see it but you. Amazing.

So what you are saying is that paid athletes just quit.

nux fan
09-21-2011, 08:42 PM
I am so glad that Arroyo got his numbers, after all that is all that matters,

Mutaman
09-21-2011, 08:47 PM
This is sort of a meaningless thread.

Krawhitham
09-21-2011, 09:09 PM
While I'm happy for Bronson, he seems like a decent enough guy, and wish he could pitch like that all the time....I'm afraid that if he has a couple of good outings to end the year, he'll be solidly pencilled in to next year's rotation, instead of us trying to upgrade.

He is penciled in to next year's rotation no matter how he finished the season

At least he know he has issues and he said he is going to work on arm strength in the offseason to regain his fastball

mr. red
09-21-2011, 09:28 PM
So you are willing to disreguard all he has done over the past few seasons because he has had one bad year and wasn't 100% healthy? Sorry but I have him as our 3 guy and have no issues with that at all.

It's not about what he's done in the past. It's about what he will do for us in the future. If management is fine with him giving more HRs than any pitcher in the league, then yes, he will be in the rotation next year.

nux fan
09-21-2011, 09:35 PM
middle market teams constantly look to the past while rich teams turn their teams over more rapidly, arroyo is yesterdays news

Vottomatic
09-22-2011, 12:00 PM
I will give Bronson the benefit of the doubt because of the mono. He hasn't seemed like himself most of the season. Off season rest hopefully does him some good, and he rebounds next season. And if the Reds fail again, hopefully Arroyo is having a good enough season to be dealt at the trading deadline. Or if he is having a good season, hopefully it's contributing to a good Reds finish.

brm7675
09-22-2011, 12:56 PM
middle market teams constantly look to the past while rich teams turn their teams over more rapidly, arroyo is yesterdays news

How is that?

brm7675
09-22-2011, 12:58 PM
It's not about what he's done in the past. It's about what he will do for us in the future. If management is fine with him giving more HRs than any pitcher in the league, then yes, he will be in the rotation next year.

So again, you are saying off of this bad season he will continue to decline and has no chance to rebound and be healthy and provide quality starts next year?

Stray
09-22-2011, 01:02 PM
It's impossible to say right now. We'll have to wait and see how he looks in spring training. I really hope it was his mono and lack of strength... Bronson has never been a big guy, but he's been especially scrawny this year. With the brutal heat this summer I don't think he ever caught up. It's also possible he hit the cliff, but we don't really know that yet. Nothing in his career would explain a drop off this crazy other than an injury. It's not like he was a guy that was relying on a 95 mph fastball to get people out, with a little more strength I think he can get back to his 90 mph heat and 64 mph wiffle balls and be successful.

nux fan
09-22-2011, 01:14 PM
the club waited three years too long with larkin and griffey

brm7675
09-22-2011, 02:00 PM
the club waited three years too long with larkin and griffey

Huh?

nux fan
09-22-2011, 02:26 PM
they held onto these players because of their previous luster

Krawhitham
09-22-2011, 03:43 PM

No the worse thing that could happen is BP padding his stats with junk numbers after the Reds were out of the playoff race. He is pricing himself out of Cincinnati

brm7675
09-22-2011, 04:26 PM
they held onto these players because of their previous luster

Bronson has had 1 down year, do you not think there is any chance he can't rebound next season?

smixsell
09-22-2011, 08:40 PM

Spot on mate. And no lineup, not even a AAA lineup, is a pushover in GABP.
I'm happy to see Bronson with a solid performance to (hopefully) build on for next season.

smixsell
09-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Bronson has had 1 down year, do you not think there is any chance he can't rebound next season?

Spot on again.

Considering that he had Mono in Spring training, a condition well known to leave one weak for several months, and considering what a competitor Bronson is, I think it's more than likely he will rebound big time and have a very good season next year.

I'll bet he hits the conditioning routine HARD during the offseason.

mr. red
09-23-2011, 01:49 AM
So again, you are saying off of this bad season he will continue to decline and has no chance to rebound and be healthy and provide quality starts next year?

I would never say that he is destined to fail, not rebound and not stay healthy.

What I am saying is that he gave up 218 hits in 191 innings this season, compared to 188 hits in 215.2 last season. His K numbers have been declining since 2008 and you can bank on him getting killed with the long-ball on an annual basis.

I think Bronson could be a very effective 4th or 5th starter, but I would pencil in Cueto, Bailey and Leake ahead of him right now.

powersackers
09-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Typically a pitcher won't lose the ability to throw the kind of junk Bronson throws until the early 40s (see Jamie Moyer). So my feeling is that a healthy Bronson, that wants to work on staying healthy, will be fine for years to come.

Seems like he still has his competitive edge or he would have shut it down knowing he was hurting himself and his team by running out there 30 times this season. Actually kinda wish mgmt would have shut him down for fatigue despite him not wanting to be shut down.

texasdave
09-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Bronson threw a lot more of the hard stuff (Fastball-Slider-Cut Fastball) in 2011 than he did the slow stuff (Curve-Change) than he did in 2010. He strikes me as an intelligent pitcher, so this must have been by design. It didn't work, obviously. Maybe he throws more slow stuff in 2012. Seems odd that he would throw more hard stuff since his velocity was down a tick.

Year Hard Soft
2010 60.4 39.6
2011 69.2 30.8