PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Merchandise?

BUTLER REDSFAN
09-22-2011, 10:45 PM
My 16 year old has developed a love of practically anything Japanese related. She has been into some of the Japanese anime stuff for several years. Can anyone suggest a place anywhere between say the Dayton Mall area and Greater Cincinnati area that caters to Japanese merchandise? I'm not looking for anything in particular. Thanks, BR.

Eric_the_Red
09-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Wal-Mart has plenty of merchandise made in Japan. ;)

If she is into anime, she may want to check out Sugoicon in Newport. My buddy does some online comics and has been appearing there as an artist/dealer for a few years. NOt really my scene, but your daughter may enjoy it.

reds1869
09-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Not a physical store, but play-asia.com (http://www.play-asia.com) has some great stuff she might like. They carry books, games, videos and related merchandise.

Will M
09-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Wal-Mart has plenty of merchandise made in Japan. ;)

If she is into anime, she may want to check out Sugoicon in Newport. My buddy does some online comics and has been appearing there as an artist/dealer for a few years. NOt really my scene, but your daughter may enjoy it.

i have never gone to Sugoicon because i would feel like some creepy old dude there. plus i tend to like older more obscure manga/anime instead of the popular manga/anime aimed at teens and young adults. however, the con is held really close to my house & i see the young kids dressed up in the costumes & they really seem to have a good time.

some sci-fi/fantasy cons have a lot of anime/manga activities. some don't. you might look at local cons. in the past Dayton and Indianapolis both held a yearly weekend sci-fi/fantasy con. you can just do an internet search. even if the con doesn't have a ton of anime a lot of folks who like anime also like sci-fi and fantasy. a con can be an absolute blast. you can just be a supergeek for the weekend.

in my experience comic stores usually don't have a lot of manga/anime (or any foreign comics)

all the Half Price Books have a manga section. however, to me their anime always seems to be a bit expensive.

Caveat Emperor
09-24-2011, 03:15 PM
My 16 year old has developed a love of practically anything Japanese related. She has been into some of the Japanese anime stuff for several years. Can anyone suggest a place anywhere between say the Dayton Mall area and Greater Cincinnati area that caters to Japanese merchandise? I'm not looking for anything in particular. Thanks, BR.

When I was 16-17 I also went through a period where I really enjoyed anime-type stuff (though I was more into the video game culture than anything else). Of course, that was close to 15 years ago and I was living on the east coast (where it was a lot easier to get stuff). You're better off going online for the best selection of things -- though, if you go someplace like FYE they usually have a Manga/Anime section in the store that'll have DVDs and a small amount of merchandise for some of the more popular stuff. Some comic book stores will carry anime merchandise as well, though I get the sense that the anime/manga culture peaked in the early-2000s and it isn't nearly as prevalent as it was then.

On the subject of Cons (since it was brought up), I attended Otakon (one of the larger ones) back in the 90s with a couple of friends from high school and generally had an "interesting" time. The people watching there is off the charts. I found the crowd was mostly teens / people in their early 20s and nerdy enough that a Star Trek fan would feel cool. Not sure what I'd expect out of a smaller convention in KY/OH, though.

Will M
09-24-2011, 06:08 PM
When I was 16-17 I also went through a period where I really enjoyed anime-type stuff (though I was more into the video game culture than anything else). Of course, that was close to 15 years ago and I was living on the east coast (where it was a lot easier to get stuff). You're better off going online for the best selection of things -- though, if you go someplace like FYE they usually have a Manga/Anime section in the store that'll have DVDs and a small amount of merchandise for some of the more popular stuff. Some comic book stores will carry anime merchandise as well, though I get the sense that the anime/manga culture peaked in the early-2000s and it isn't nearly as prevalent as it was then.

On the subject of Cons (since it was brought up), I attended Otakon (one of the larger ones) back in the 90s with a couple of friends from high school and generally had an "interesting" time. The people watching there is off the charts. I found the crowd was mostly teens / people in their early 20s and nerdy enough that a Star Trek fan would feel cool. Not sure what I'd expect out of a smaller convention in KY/OH, though.

OK. what was your costume? and we need pictures!

I have never dressed up in costume but people who do seem to really enjoy it. I was at Dragoncon a couple of years ago. 1/3 of the attendees were in some costume or another. lots of Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, pirates, elves, wizards, Dr Who, anime, comics. anything in the 'nerd' genres.
a boy about 8-9 years old was dressed as a transformer. He literally could transform from a car into a robot. It was pretty cool.