PDA

View Full Version : Meet the new team. Same as the old team.

texasdave
09-22-2011, 11:14 PM
If you liked the 2011 version of the Cincinnati Reds you will love the 2012 version. Because it's gonna look remarkably the same.

From www.mlbtraderumors.com:

Reds GM Walt Jocketty said that Cincinnati's payroll will increase in 2011, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, but they will only "bump it up a little." Fay speculates the Reds' payroll will increase from this year's $80.8MM to roughly $85MM in 2012, which would represent a similar hike from 2010's $76.1MM. Most of that, however, is accounted for in projected salary increases for players under contract. When asked whether he'd be shopping for big-ticket free agents this winter, Jocketty said "probably not."

texasdave
09-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Let's hope for the youngsters to improve and mix in several career years. That might get this team close. Can't trade kids for vets if there is no money to pay them.

nux fan
09-23-2011, 12:00 AM
jocketty and baker are taking advantage of the passivity of fans in cincinnati, their hogwash would never fly elsewhere, how dare they vet the same garbage next year, they are shysters

brm7675
09-23-2011, 11:55 AM
If the monies are not there what do you expect Walt to do?

Vottomatic
09-23-2011, 12:01 PM
If you don't like being a small market team, go find another team. Either live in reality or move on. This team, in the current economy, will not have a $100M or $100M+ payroll. They probably won't approach $90M.

Bye Bye Joey Votto. Nice knowing ya.

nux fan
09-23-2011, 12:08 PM
I dont like being a small market team with idiotic stewardship by unimaginative, cliche driven attenuated effete leaders who overpay for closers, and rely on retread veterans

R_Webb18
09-23-2011, 12:12 PM
pretty obv no? i mean its 5 million extra how many big guys sign for 5 million. if were gonna get anyone huge it will be thru a trade.

R_Webb18
09-23-2011, 12:13 PM
I dont like being a small market team with idiotic stewardship by unimaginative, cliche driven attenuated effete leaders who overpay for closers, and rely on retread veterans

then find a new team.

brm7675
09-23-2011, 12:29 PM

did I miss something? I don't think the present GM/owner were involved with the signing of Co-Co were they? Please list those things you see as unimaginative and cliche...

nux fan
09-23-2011, 12:35 PM
every time baker opens his mouth it is time worn, bromide

brm7675
09-23-2011, 12:41 PM
every time baker opens his mouth it is time worn, bromide

What does Dusty have to do with the topic thread about the team payroll budget and limitations in FA aquistions?

Hillsdale87
09-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Just because they're not planning on signing any big ticket free agents does not mean that it's going to be the same team. I don't think anybody on this board expected the Reds to sign somebody to a Carl Crawford-like contract. If the Reds are going to do anything, it will be through trades, and Jocketty did not rule that out.

brm7675
09-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Just because they're not planning on signing any big ticket free agents does not mean that it's going to be the same team. I don't think anybody on this board expected the Reds to sign somebody to a Carl Crawford-like contract. If the Reds are going to do anything, it will be through trades, and Jocketty did not rule that out.

Problem is even with trades you are going to add money, unless you deal say Votto or Phillips or one of our more expensive players which I don't see happening.

texasdave
09-23-2011, 01:34 PM
What is with all this "find a new team" garbage? Where does it say in the fan/message board manual that you can't criticize the team you are pulling for? Could someone point that out? Or are all you "real fans" satisfied with 2011? Because I know none of you have ever posted any criticisms of the team before. :lol:

texasdave
09-23-2011, 01:42 PM
did I miss something? I don't think the present GM/owner were involved with the signing of Co-Co were they? Please list those things you see as unimaginative and cliche...

Arroyo's contract was out of line. Jocketty just got lucky that Edinson turned him down. Jocketty's misspent some money.

Stray
09-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Well Coco is coming off of the books, but we could try to sign him to another 2 year deal. Anyone have the numbers or a site where I could see what everyone will be making next year? I wonder if they're taking into account that we may sign BP to another contract...even if we do, you would think year 1 would be less than his option.

Kinda strange to hear that we won't go after someone...

texasdave
09-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Well Coco is coming off of the books, but we could try to sign him to another 2 year deal. Anyone have the numbers or a site where I could see what everyone will be making next year? I wonder if they're taking into account that we may sign BP to another contract...even if we do, you would think year 1 would be less than his option.

Here you go. https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tj1FG9GPVGFzrJykhM94ogw&output=html

Right now the Reds are over 52 million without picking up Brandon's 12 million option. If they do that it puts them near 64 million. That is 64 million for 10 players. If they bring back Razor and Cordero they are at or over 70 million for 12 players. Who knows what the arb eligibles will get? There isn't much left in the piggy bank after that.

Per that same website James Shields is due 7Million in 2012.
Adam Jones is going to get around 6Million in arb I would imagine for 2012.

texasdave
09-23-2011, 02:19 PM

Brandon said no "homeboy discount". Would he really rework his contract to take less than 12 million next season? I would think the only way he does that is they extend him a bunch of years.

DGullett35
09-24-2011, 06:50 PM
IMO there isn't really any "big time" free agents out there for 2012 except for Pujols. So I can see why Jockety wouldnt be going after anyone. I would like for him to make a trade for a solid starter however

nux fan
09-24-2011, 06:55 PM
yeah lets keep playing stubbs he is a good contact two hitter

Vottomatic
09-25-2011, 10:15 AM
If no major trades or changes are made, the only way this team succeeds next year is that they grow up, improve/meet their potential, and stay healthy.

But I don't see it.

If Alonso and Francisco are still here, the offense theoretically should be better. But the starting pitching and bullpen will be the same, and it's just not good enough to win it.

mu4103
09-25-2011, 03:15 PM
What decides small market, large market? Lazy owners? The Steelers are large market but the Pirates are small market. The Reds have a huge fan base across the country. I don't see any reason that the owner shouldn't be spending over $100 million on the team. MLB is a franchise which allows regulation of its products, I think some of these owners need to stop mooching off the system and put a product on the field.

I really don't know where these terms came from and wonder if some of it isn't a myth created by owners. The Pirates in the early 90's were able to put a good product on the field. If they would have resigned Barry Bonds maybe they would have less excuses for sucking and they would be large market today. The Pirate fan base was and still is about as loyal as they can possibly be.

I hate Bud Selig.