PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays 9/23

chicoruiz
09-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Reds (lots of them today):

Mike Gosling (31)

Wille Greene (40) -A RedsZone favorite

Pete Harnisch (45)

Woody Woodward (69) -Shortstop turned GM.

Hod Lisenbee- Came out of a decade-long retirement to pitch for the Reds at age 46 during the 1945 season when the real players were off fighting the war.

Others:

Matt Kemp (27)

Jeff Cirillo (42) Another of those guys who went from very good to replacement level seemingly overnight. The Adam Dunn of 2002, in other words.

Tony Fossas (54) -Happy birthday to Aroldis Chapman's mentor. I don't know if "mentor" is the right word for what he is, but he's something...

Bob Borkowski
09-24-2012, 01:11 AM
Reds (lots of them today):

Mike Gosling (31)

Wille Greene (40) -A RedsZone favorite

Pete Harnisch (45)

Woody Woodward (69) -Shortstop turned GM.

Hod Lisenbee- Came out of a decade-long retirement to pitch for the Reds at age 46 during the 1945 season when the real players were off fighting the war.

Others:

Matt Kemp (27)

Jeff Cirillo (42) Another of those guys who went from very good to replacement level seemingly overnight. The Adam Dunn of 2002, in other words.

Tony Fossas (54) -Happy birthday to Aroldis Chapman's mentor. I don't know if "mentor" is the right word for what he is, but he's something...

nm

oneupper
09-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Found this on Woodward's wiki.

Woodward was involved in a bizarre incident on September 4, 1971. During a game against the Los Angeles Dodgers, a sack of flour fell out of the sky and landed approximately ten feet from where Woodward was standing.[3]

Anyone remember that or know more details?

cumberlandreds
09-24-2012, 11:40 AM

I can remember them talking about it back then. I don't think they ever knew exactly what happened. Very bizzare to say the least.

Bob Borkowski
09-24-2012, 09:37 PM

Nope, for some reason I don't remember this happening, but one of my favorite Reds books is the Redleg Journal and here is the notation for September 4, 1971:

Woody Woodward is almost hit by a ten-pound sack of flour which drops from an airplane passing over Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. The sack hit the ground and exploded just 15 feet from where Woodward was standing at his shortstop position in the ninth inning of the Reds 2-1 loss to the Dodgers.

Redleg Journal, by the way, is written as a log book, month by month and year by year, of Reds history from 1866-2000.