PDA

View Full Version : 3 year extension for Jocketty....

_Sir_Charles_
09-23-2011, 05:02 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/09/23/reds-extend-jocketty-for-3-years/

The Reds announced that Walt Jocketty’s contract has been extended by three years, taking him through the 2014 season.

Jocketty joined the Reds in January of 2008 as a special advisor to CEO Bob Castellini. Jocketty, 60, was promoted to president of baseball operations and general manager April 23 of that year.

RedLegSuperStar
09-23-2011, 05:06 PM
First off... Sorry Cubbie fans!

Secondly; Lets hope he makes up for the last year and a half of sitting on his hands in this extention.

remdog
09-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Glad to see Walt return. Now fire Dusty and the Reds have a good start on 2012.

Rem

Wheelhouse
09-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Terrific!

lollipopcurve
09-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Glad to see it. Hopefully he puts his stamp on things now.

RANDY IN INDY
09-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Glad he's back for a few years.

RFS62
09-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Solid move.

Cedric
09-23-2011, 06:26 PM
If Dusty goes I'm more than fine with this.

reds1869
09-23-2011, 06:42 PM
If Dusty goes I'm more than fine with this.

Who is available to replace him that is a clear upgrade and would take the job?

Cedric
09-23-2011, 07:01 PM

I couldn't possibly know who would take the job. My first choice would be Dave Martinez with my second choice being Charles Nagy from Arizona.

reds1869
09-23-2011, 07:02 PM
I couldn't possibly know who would take the job. My first choice would be Dave Martinez with my second choice being Charles Nagy from Arizona.

Martinez would be an excellent choice for any club.

mth123
09-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Well, at least we avoid the problem named Bill Bavasi.

And people say I can't look on the bright side.

reds1869
09-23-2011, 07:29 PM
WLW just reported Walt's announcement that Dusty and the entire coaching staff will return in 2012, so we can put that debate to bed for now.

cincrazy
09-23-2011, 07:35 PM

Pete Mackanin, who I thought should've never left :).

RedLegSuperStar
09-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Dave Martinez is my prime choice aswell.. always 2013!

Wheelhouse
09-24-2011, 12:28 AM

Rem

Word.

WVRedsFan
09-24-2011, 02:31 AM
I imagine, unless lightening strikes and the Reds win the division next year, that you've seen the last of Dusty after next year. But although it was the right decision, Walt needs to step up his game and get the right players for this team. No more Fred Lewises, no more Jonny Gomes, and no more putting your faith in the Paul Janishes of the world. With our budget, I don't know if that's possible. I can hope, though.

wlf WV
09-24-2011, 04:16 AM
I will recant my denigrading his statements this year. I appreciated his cander speaking with Grande and Welsh.

lollipopcurve
09-24-2011, 08:41 AM
I appreciated his cander speaking with Grande and Welsh.

Yeah, he was a bit more open than usual. But he's a shrewd guy, so it's hard to know how much credence to give his public comments. Of note:

Starting pitching is the biggest need. They'll likely go outside to get it.

He's hopeful Chapman will be able to start in the Cincy rotation -- meaning there's a chance they have him start in Louisville.

Lukewarm endorsement of Dusty. ("Did well under the circumstances.")

Cozart will be the starting SS.

Among the young players, singled out Mesoraco and Francisco (pointing out Francisco's defense).

Affirmed that he thinks pitching and defense wins championships. Similarly, did not sound all that enthusiastic about Yonder in LF, while acknowledging that it is the plan.

Sounded sincere in the desire to extend Phillips, while noting the team has a limited budget.

Sounded as if they won't wait forever for Volquez to figure it out.

In response to Welsh, said that "all the strikeouts" do bother him.

My takeaway -- look for the Reds to deal for a starting pitcher.

remdog
09-24-2011, 01:14 PM
I've been to Sacramento, CA many times in the middle of the summer----Johnny B. Baker's city of residence. It's actually pretty nice. Reminds me a lot of a cross between Cincinnati (rivers, river boat dining, nice downtown, etc.) and Columbus (state capital, state university). Some nice old, stately mansions, a lot of elm trees, some pretty good restaurants. Terrific minor league baseball park (on the river)---pretty new, nice sight lines, usually fills up. Actually, a pretty nice town.

I suggest Walt sits Dusty down the day after the season ends and describes all the fun things that Johnny B. can enjoy there next summer as he sits on his front porch or goes to a music concert, food festival, art show---maybe he could even go to a minor league game and learn something about constructing a lineup. Dusty has complained about not being 'home' since February so this would be sort of like selling Mr. Toothpick & Wristbands on the idea of signing up for a summer vacation.

It would be good for Dusty, it would be good for the Reds.

Rem

RedRoser
09-24-2011, 04:54 PM

Rem

Probably won't happen, but I would promise to buy season tickets if it did! And I live five hours away! :D

AtomicDumpling
09-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Why extend the contract of a General Manager that doesn't make any moves? If you are satisfied without any moves being made then why not just let his contract expire and don't replace him? Having Walt Jocketty is no different than not having a GM at all. If the team is on autopilot why do we need to pay Jocketty the big bucks?

Jocketty hasn't made a meaningful move in two years, so the way I see it he should work for free the next two years to make up for collecting a paycheck without doing the job for the past two years.

If a GM can't find a way to improve a team for two years then it is time to find someone who can.

dougdirt
09-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Why extend the contract of a General Manager that doesn't make any moves? If you are satisfied without any moves being made then why not just let his contract expire and don't replace him? Having Walt Jocketty is no different than not having a GM at all. If the team is on autopilot why do we need to pay Jocketty the big bucks?

Jocketty hasn't made a meaningful move in two years, so the way I see it he should work for free the next two years to make up for collecting a paycheck without doing the job for the past two years.

If a GM can't find a way to improve a team for two years then it is time to find someone who can.
I don't want to say one way or the other if this is what happened, but perhaps Jocketty wanted to make moves at the deadline and wasn't allowed to by Castellini? I believe it was Ken Rosenthal, but it may have been someone else, who noted recently that Castellini didn't want to trade veterans at the deadline.

corkedbat
09-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Good for Walt! Getting paid prfectly good money to sleep at the switch sure is better than three years sleeping on the couch and drawing Social Security. :D :evil: :D

AtomicDumpling
09-26-2011, 06:22 PM
I don't want to say one way or the other if this is what happened, but perhaps Jocketty wanted to make moves at the deadline and wasn't allowed to by Castellini? I believe it was Ken Rosenthal, but it may have been someone else, who noted recently that Castellini didn't want to trade veterans at the deadline.

True, but Walt's inactivity problem goes back much further in time than this year's trade deadline.

Many GMs have restrictions and limited resources, but the skilled ones find clever ways to get things done. Jocketty hasn't been able to make a meaningful move to improve this team in YEARS.

mdccclxix
09-26-2011, 06:36 PM
True, but Walt's inactivity problem goes back much further in time than this year's trade deadline.

Many GMs have restrictions and limited resources, but the skilled ones find clever ways to get things done. Jocketty hasn't been able to make a meaningful move to improve this team in YEARS.

He hates dealing prospects. Okay, so don't deal your top ones. Other teams have had success with denying any conversation about which ones they won't deal. The streak they are on with 1st rounders makes me okay with hoarding some players. Even Grandal would be painful, IMO. That said, the fans won't slay him for reaching a bit if he lands a big time pitcher in the process.

remdog
09-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Hey! Here's an idea. Let's trade Dusty to the White Sox for a bag of batting practice balls!

Dusty knows Chicago, he should be comfortable and the Reds could use some balls.

Just a thought. :p

Rem