PDA

View Full Version : Walt Jocketty Gets a 3 year extension...

mroby85
09-23-2011, 04:23 PM
According to Lance Mccalister.

Stray
09-23-2011, 04:25 PM
No surprise there. I guess it sucks for those in Chicago who were hopeful.

nux fan
09-23-2011, 04:33 PM
no it sucks for reds fans

mroby85
09-23-2011, 04:41 PM
I wonder what earned him the extension, the Arroyo deal, or the Rolen extension?

IWasBornInCincy
09-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Between paying 40 million for a set up man who can last an inning, extending the worst 3B in baseball, re signing one of the worst starters in the game, giving a player who had 1 good month 50 million dollars, going into the season with Renteria and Janish as your SS, Having ROlen as the 3B, and Gomes/Lewis anchoring your LF....and going from first place and 91 wins in 2010 to 78 wins in 2011...no wonder he has been re upped.

brm7675
09-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Between paying 40 million for a set up man who can last an inning, extending the worst 3B in baseball, re signing one of the worst starters in the game, giving a player who had 1 good month 50 million dollars, going into the season with Renteria and Janish as your SS, Having ROlen as the 3B, and Gomes/Lewis anchoring your LF....and going from first place and 91 wins in 2010 to 78 wins in 2011...no wonder he has been re upped.

What set up man is being paid 40 million?
It was the owner who wanted Rolen here, the GM just did as instructed by the owner.
Who was one of the worst starters in baseball are you speaking of?
He gave a good contract to one of the best young players in baseball...
When was the last time the Reds won the division and who was the GM?

40YrRedsFan
09-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Let's face it....Get ready for more of the same as far as personnel goes. We are not going to see expensive players come our way. Between no action at the trade deadline, and now Walt being re-upped for 3 years, the statement has been made. Unless the players we have now have career years at the same time, we will continue to be a team treading water in the next few years. And when Votto leaves, we may be back to the lost decade
style of play.

texasdave
09-23-2011, 06:42 PM
I wonder what earned him the extension, the Arroyo deal, or the Rolen extension?

The Volquez offer to extend, which Edinson unwisely turned down.

redsfanmia
09-23-2011, 06:42 PM

You are a real ray of sunshine.

texasdave
09-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Well, since he is going to be here three more years, let's hope he has some tricks up his sleeves to get this team back to the playoffs.

nux fan
09-23-2011, 06:47 PM
this is classic , the guy might be a "real ray of sunshine" but he is also completely right

Stray
09-24-2011, 01:55 PM
I thought Walt made some interesting comments last night in the booth with Chris and George.

Talked about a bunch of stuff but the two main things that stuck with me were that he sounded like he would be willing to go outside of the organization and make a move. Whether that means getting a veteran backup SS, or actually making an impact move I dunno. Also how he said how important our infield D is and that with Stubbs and Bruce in the OF we can afford to sacrifice some D in LF. Good news for Yonder but I guess we already knew that.

nux fan
09-24-2011, 02:54 PM
yeah stubbs is really great

mroby85
09-24-2011, 02:59 PM
this is classic , the guy might be a "real ray of sunshine" but he is also completely right

I agree, it's like all the sarcastic "sky is falling" comments earlier in the season when the Reds were playing terrible and showing legitimate reasons for concern before the sky actually fell.

texasdave
09-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Talked about a bunch of stuff but the two main things that stuck with me were that he sounded like he would be willing to go outside of the organization and make a move.

That Walt really knows how to think outside the box. From his lack of activity the past year and a half this must have been a very recent epiphany.

Go outside the organization? Is that even legal?

Stray
09-24-2011, 04:02 PM
That Walt really knows how to think outside the box. From his lack of activity the past year and a half this must have been a very recent epiphany.

Lol well considering he just said he had no plans on doing that I found it odd. It almost sounded like he would want to acquire a SP from somewhere.

texasdave
09-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Sounds to me we have the very same team next year as this year; unless Walt can somehow hook him a solid starter who doesn't make a lot of money. Those grow on trees, right?

Git-R-Done!

mroby85
09-24-2011, 08:55 PM

Before you get your hopes up, he was also a "buyer at the deadline". If I recall correctly we traded Jonny Gomes for a couple washed up prospects and that was the extent of it.

nux fan
09-24-2011, 08:56 PM
jocketty and baker should have both been fired, exactly what did they do right this year?

smixsell
09-25-2011, 12:09 AM
This is good news. It also increases the chances of Baker being gone in the offseason IMO.

I expect that Castellini and Walt will say "Baker will be back next year" but quietly negotiate a settlement that will allow Baker to "announce" that he's decided to quit to "spend more time with his family" but still pocket some/most of his salary. That way Baker saves face, the Reds save a little bit of money, and the team is rid of a lead weight around our necks.

mr. red
09-26-2011, 08:39 AM
MLBTR

GM Walt Jocketty said that Cincinnati's payroll will increase in 2011, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, but they will only "bump it up a little." Fay speculates the Reds' payroll will increase from this year's $80.8MM to roughly $85MM in 2012, which would represent a similar hike from 2010's $76.1MM. Most of that, however, is accounted for in projected salary increases for players under contract. When asked whether he'd be shopping for big-ticket free agents this winter, Jocketty said "probably not."

Vottomatic
09-26-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm to the point where I wouldn't mind blowing this thing up a little. Not alot. But a little.

If they traded Bruce or Stubbs, or both, I wouldn't be upset. I realize Bruce has some upside because he's still "young". But I see nothing from Stubbs that makes me think he is going to ever kick it into gear.

More than likely, what I see happening is everyone back next year. Platoon in LF, 3B, and at Catcher.

And if improvements are made, it will be to the pitching staff.

If this same team stumbles next season, I see Dusty being fired early on, and alot of changes being made at the trade deadline.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Castellini and Jocketty have some kind of behind the scenes meeting where they tell Dusty and the players, we're keeping things intact, and gonna give you guys a chance to redeem yourselves. If it doesn't work, we will make changes if it all falls apart.

Put the pressure on them!

texasdave
09-26-2011, 09:49 AM
More than likely, what I see happening is everyone back next year. Platoon in LF, 3B, and at Catcher.
And if improvements are made, it will be to the pitching staff.

I see pretty much the same scenario playing out. And then I ask myself, "How do you sell any tickets? How do you generate a buzz?". Does that thought of everyone being back excite anyone?

Vottomatic
09-26-2011, 12:07 PM
I see pretty much the same scenario playing out. And then I ask myself, "How do you sell any tickets? How do you generate a buzz?". Does that thought of everyone being back excite anyone?

If all the same players are back, the only thing that would excite me is a new manager. Because I have no faith in Dusty to use his personnel correctly.

Alonso (LH) and Heisey (RH) should platoon in LF. Francisco (LH) and Rolen (RH) should platoon at 3B. Hanigan and Mez are both righthanded, and until Mez feels comfortable, Hanigan should probably get 5 starts a week. Heisey should even sub for Stubbs here and then.

No faith in Dusty at all.

Stray
09-26-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't really know that a FA signing/new manager would increase ticket sales that much. The excitement going into this season couldn't have been higher. We had the reigning MVP and a young team poised to make a run at a pennant. While ticket sales did go up some, we were far from filling this place up on a regular basis. I know people say 'It's a school night' 'The weather was bad' 'Economy sucks' 'Insert any other commonly used reason', and they're right...but that doesn't hurt ticket sales with the other teams in the National League who get to spend more money than us.

I agree we'll see a platoon in LF, 3B and C. That is okay with me because I think the production from those platoons will be much greater than what we had this season (minus C). I'm hoping to make a big trade on the offseason to get pitching or a big RH bat...but I doubt it'll happen.