PDA

View Full Version : Volquez

Vottomatic
09-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Off of ORG and Lance's blog:

Volquez told Julio Castro of the Dominican paper El Caribe:

"They were offering me a contract for four years, the same as Johnny Cueto, but I didn't feel it was right for me. I spoke with the lawyer and the general manager, and we all agreed on a single season," Volquez explained while in Boca Chica, Dominican Republic.
"Having a good year this season is my mission. Depending on my performance, we'll seek a contract of at least four years with the team," he predicted. "I can't define the amount we're going to seek following the next year, but it's going to be for that quantity of years." And should he have second thoughts, the 27-year-old pitcher (three years older than Cueto) indicated that some manner of offer is still on the table, saying, "Things remain open in case I want to sign during Spring Training or in the middle of the season."

From Lance's blog.

I think he needs a new lawyer.

I hear Volquez reached for that contract during the season but Walt shredded it quickly. :laugh:

texasdave
09-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Off of ORG and Lance's blog:

I think he needs a new lawyer.

I hear Volquez reached for that contract during the season but Walt shredded it quickly. :laugh:

Volquez stands a better chance of finding Sasquatch or Chupacabra than he does of finding that offer still lying on a table, waiting to be signed.

Vottomatic
09-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Volquez stands a better chance of finding Sasquatch or Chupacabra than he does of finding that offer still lying on a table, waiting to be signed.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Congrats Dave, post #5,000!!!!!! :beerme:

texasdave
09-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Congrats Dave, post #5,000!!!!!! :beerme:

That post was huge. I was dealing as I sat behind the keyboard. 5,000 posts is bigtime. My advice? Take them one post at a time and don't clog up your keyboard arguing with Cardinal fans.

Thanks. :beerme:

Red Raindog
09-26-2011, 05:44 PM
That post was huge. I was dealing as I sat behind the keyboard. 5,000 posts is bigtime. My advice? Take them one post at a time and don't clog up your keyboard arguing with Cardinal fans.

good to see someone getting his numbers !

DocRed
09-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Lawyers....fill up a bus full of em and.....you finish the joke.....

mu4103
09-26-2011, 09:33 PM

Congrats Dave, from the fellow Texan!

Vottomatic
09-27-2011, 09:18 AM
good to see someone getting his numbers !

Classic!

Jonny Gomes will be along any minute to congratulate you too.

drowg14
09-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Stark named Volquez his Cy Yuk this year.

Evidence: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7029954/mlb-award-winners-2011-major-league-baseball-season

Good year eh?

texasdave
09-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Stark named Volquez his Cy Yuk this year.

Evidence: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7029954/mlb-award-winners-2011-major-league-baseball-season

Good year eh?

Dusty named Volquez to pitch game one of the playoffs in 2010 and be our Opening Day starter.

Good thinking, eh? Speaks volumes.

Vottomatic
09-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Dusty has already named Matt Maloney opening day starter in 2012.

brm7675
09-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Dusty named Volquez to pitch game one of the playoffs in 2010 and be our Opening Day starter.

Good thinking, eh? Speaks volumes.

Going into that game you have to admit EV had pitched very well towards the end of the season and really did it matter WHO pitched that first game for the Reds, I mean he could have thrown a 1 run/1 hitter and still it wouldn't have been good enough.

As for opening day, Cueto and Homer were both on the DL, Bronson said he didn't want to pitch, so that leaves you Leake or EV and I am willing to bet many here were not to confident in Leake. So what option did Dusty have?

bounty37h
09-29-2011, 03:02 PM
^BRM, you must live at the nicest beach in the world, never rains or gets cold, cause you got more flip-flops than anyone I have ever met.

nux fan
09-29-2011, 03:25 PM
brm is a family member in the baker clan it is useless to "discuss" anything with him he thinks everything is wonderful in glocca morra

nux fan
09-29-2011, 03:27 PM
dusty want horst and maloney ready for opening day

brm7675
09-29-2011, 03:34 PM
brm is a family member in the baker clan it is useless to "discuss" anything with him he thinks everything is wonderful in glocca morra

I am all for ridding the Reds of Dusty and slaming Dusty when he needs to be, but like in the case of starting EV in the first game of the playoffs and OD, what would you have done differently?

nux fan
09-29-2011, 04:06 PM
his performance in september of 2010 and srping training does not merit an opening day start, I would have started wood vs phillies, bolquez like rolen like stubbs is not upto snuff no matter how much you idolize them

brm7675
09-29-2011, 04:40 PM
his performance in september of 2010 and srping training does not merit an opening day start, I would have started wood vs phillies, bolquez like rolen like stubbs is not upto snuff no matter how much you idolize them

Did you look at EV Sept numbers? And you are going to start a young kid with little ML experience on opening day? Okay.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I mean do I think EV is a good pitcher, no, but Dusty went off how well he did in Sept of 2010 and for opening day had he had Cueto available probably would have gone with him, but didn't.

nux fan
09-29-2011, 05:08 PM
uninterested in your banal reply

nux fan
09-29-2011, 05:09 PM
did you see how wood pitched in relief of your hero volquez in game one and he had pitched perfectly against the phillies all year, I would laugh out loud uproariously at the inanity of your pitiful riposte

brm7675
09-29-2011, 05:43 PM
did you see how wood pitched in relief of your hero volquez in game one and he had pitched perfectly against the phillies all year, I would laugh out loud uproariously at the inanity of your pitiful riposte

Coming in for relief is different then starting the game. Also Wood had pitched alot at that point. do you dispute EV's numbers in Sept of 2010?

nux fan
09-29-2011, 07:11 PM
dont answer my posts I am tired of your blather, wood had pitched a perfect game against the phillies, volquez was, has been is, and always will be wild, do you dispute that
doo you dispute that stubbs cant hit for contact
do you dispute that your hero rolen is an invalid
do you dispute that heisey had more home runs that stubbs

leave me alone with you myrmidon type loyalty to Baker stubbs rolen arroyo

texasdave
09-29-2011, 07:19 PM

I have to nominate this as line of the year, no, make that line of the decade. Anyone that can work the word "myrmidon" into a post on a baseball message board is deserving of that type of recognition. This thread is over. Point, game, set and match.

MYRMIDON - a loyal follower; especially : a subordinate who executes orders unquestioningly or unscrupulously

brm7675
09-29-2011, 07:22 PM
dont answer my posts I am tired of your blather, wood had pitched a perfect game against the phillies

Well actually no he didn't, he pitched a very good game but not a perfect game, only Tom Browning I believe has pitched a perfect game for the Reds.
, volquez was, has been is, and always will be wild, do you dispute that

He also had an 18 win season and yes he is wild, so what.

doo you dispute that stubbs cant hit for contact. Stubbs hit fine in 2010 and sucked up the joint in 2011, so he has one good season and one bad season and given how small his contract is I am fine with that.

do you dispute that your hero rolen is an invalid - Not at all Rolen is probably one of still the best defensive 3rd basemen in the league. Is he old and likely to spend quality time on the DL, sure but when healthy he is still a major force on the team.

do you dispute that heisey had more home runs that stubbs - This year yes he did, what's to say he doesn't regress next year and only hit 10--12 HR's?

A) if you actually take the time and review my posts here you will see I have called for Dusty to be fired/not given a new contract at the end of last year. As for Bronson and Stubbs you refuse to look big picture and see 1 seasons doesn't define a career. See you are one of those fans who goes to a game and when player X strikes out in a key situation you boo the heck out of him, but when he gets a hit the next time you cheer him. You need to broaden your view of the game. Hey the player who hit the tyiing home run for the Rays last night that allowed them to go extra innings and win the game wouldn't even had been on the team given your views now would he?

nux fan
09-29-2011, 07:24 PM
no comment everything is great
yeah rolen'
yeeah stubbs
yeah arroyo they led the reds to a fantastic year, brm is proud of them

yeah team

brm7675
09-29-2011, 07:26 PM
no comment everything is great
yeah rolen'
yeeah stubbs
yeah arroyo they led the reds to a fantastic year, brm is proud of them

yeah team

Again 1 season, where did the Reds finsih last year? Oh wait and this year they finished 3rd, behind two teams with more talent and better leadership...yep that sucks...

brm7675
09-29-2011, 07:27 PM
yeah team

Well you could always root for the Cubs, Indians, Royals or go for the big powerful teams the Yankees and such who always win because they have an open checkbook...

texasdave
09-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Oh wait and this year they finished 3rd

This isn't the Olympics. There are no bronze medals. They finished under .500. They finished 17 games out of first. They finished 11 games behind the second-place club. They never were serious contenders. They underachieved. They can't see the playoffs from where they finished. There may, and I say may, have been a talent gap, but it wasn't a double-digit gap. If that satisfies you, so be it.

brm7675
09-29-2011, 07:41 PM
This isn't the Olympics. There are no bronze medals. They finished under .500. They finished 17 games out of first. They finished 11 games behind the second-place club. They never were serious contenders. They underachieved. They can't see the playoffs from where they finished. There may, and I say may, have been a talent gap, but it wasn't a double-digit gap. If that satisfies you, so be it.

If you believe that the Brewers are not a double digit better team then the Reds right now....well then wow. As for the Cards, they would have won the division had it not been for all the key injuries. The Reds are a very young team with a very horrible manager. Put Joe Madden or Tony LaRusa or heck even Ozzie G. as the Reds manager and they are a better team, but still would not have won the division this year. Both the Brewers and Cards improved thier teams in teh offseason, for whatever reason and we will never know Walt didn't do anything. But yes given our manager and the loss of our ACE for a month, the injuries to Rolen, the ups and downs of Wood and the total missue of Chapman, I am more then happy that we finished 3rd this year.

TheBigLebowski
09-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Congrats to my boy Tejas Dah-VID on his 5k. All your posts have been huge.

Frank Caliendo - does Jim Rome - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s8BZjcP3qU)