PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 9/27

chicoruiz
09-27-2011, 04:45 AM
No Reds that I could find.

Others:

Len Matuszek (57) Product of Cincinnati's Moeller H.S., he replaced another Cincinnati kid, Pete Rose, as Phillie 1b.

Mike Schmidt (62)

Dick Hall (81) -Pitcher/outfielder, graduated with a math degree from Swarthmore College- not exactly a hotbed of big leaguers. Trivia: Hall was the first pitcher to win a League Championship Series game.

Johnny Pesky -Turns 92 today and still going strong.

RedFanAlways1966
09-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Mike Schmidt (62)

My late grandfather managed him in HS (Fairview HS, Dayton). Gramps managed about 40 years. Claimed that Schmidt was the best defensive guy (at SS in high school) that he ever managed. A lot of people think hitter when they think of Schmidt, but forgot that great glove he carried to 3rd base each game. Gramps said Schmidt would usually strikeout 2-3 times per game. But that one time he'd make contact might send the ball 400 feet from the plate. A skinny kid in HS, but born with very strong wrists.

Bob Borkowski
09-27-2012, 12:01 PM
No Reds that I could find.

Others:

Len Matuszek (57) Product of Cincinnati's Moeller H.S., he replaced another Cincinnati kid, Pete Rose, as Phillie 1b.

Mike Schmidt (62)

Dick Hall (81) -Pitcher/outfielder, graduated with a math degree from Swarthmore College- not exactly a hotbed of big leaguers. Trivia: Hall was the first pitcher to win a League Championship Series game.

Johnny Pesky -Turns 92 today and still going strong.

By the way, Johnny Pesky passed away on August 13, 2012.

Concerning Mike Schmidt:

Some quotes --

"Pete Rose is the most likable arrogant person I've ever met."

"Philadelphia is the only city, where you can experience the thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day."

"If you are associated with the Philadelphia media or town, you look for negatives. I don't know if there if there's something about their upbringing or they have too many hoagies, or too much cream cheese."

"You're trying your damndest, you strike out and they boo you. I act like it doesn't bother me, like I don't hear anything the fans say, but the truth is that I hear every word and it kills me."

(A great quote on Pete, I thought) :)