PDA

View Full Version : Terry Francona

brm7675
09-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Word is he is out as Red Sox manager at season end unless they win the World Series....would you take him as Reds manager?

nux fan
09-28-2011, 01:17 PM
in less than 1 nanosecond

brm7675
09-28-2011, 01:30 PM
in less than 1 nanosecond

But reports out of Boston are that Terry is a players manager and that is why is being let go because he doesn't push players and not a in your face type of guy, which is exactly what dusty is...so how would the change be better?

Vottomatic
09-28-2011, 01:35 PM
I want Davey Johnson. This team makes the playoffs with Johnson at the helm.

brm7675
09-28-2011, 01:39 PM
I want Davey Johnson. This team makes the playoffs with Johnson at the helm.

Johnson is okay, but seeing the talent and performances by the Brew Crew this season, the manager of the Reds isn't enough of a difference this year to put the Reds over them. Now next year and down the road that is different.

IWasBornInCincy
09-28-2011, 01:49 PM
You are all morons if you believe this. Francona is on a string of 8 consecutive winning seasons. Has 2 WS rings in Boston in the last 7 years, He is 193 Games over .500 as the Red Sox skipper, has won over 94 games 5 times in 8 seasons, and this year may be his 6th playoff appearance in 8 seasons. Jesus Christ. Dusty Baker compared to Francona..hahaha. delusional

Vottomatic
09-28-2011, 01:56 PM
You are all morons if you believe this. Francona is on a string of 8 consecutive winning seasons. Has 2 WS rings in Boston in the last 7 years, He is 193 Games over .500 as the Red Sox skipper, has won over 94 games 5 times in 8 seasons, and this year may be his 6th playoff appearance in 8 seasons. Jesus Christ. Dusty Baker compared to Francona..hahaha. delusional

And how much is the Red Sox payroll? :p :laugh:

I think I could manage the Yankees, Red Sox, or Phillies to the playoffs. :thumbup:

brm7675
09-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Believe what? they he will be dimissed after the season or that he is better then Dusty Baker?

IWasBornInCincy
09-28-2011, 01:59 PM
haha. Both

texasdave
09-28-2011, 02:01 PM
You are all morons if you believe this.

Believe what? they he will be dimissed after the season or that he is better then Dusty Baker?

haha. Both

I guess that means you think Dusty is the better manager. You just said so.

IWasBornInCincy
09-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Oh man...you got me! If you honestly think Dusty is a good manager, and better than say a francona, you probably also think Rolen is a good 3b and Bruce is a legit star in RF

texasdave
09-28-2011, 02:11 PM
In fours years as manager of Philadelphia, Francona had a 285-363 record. No winning seasons. No playoffs. No WS rings. Amazing how smart a manager gets when he hooks up with a team that buys whichever player it needs.

IWasBornInCincy
09-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Lol. the phillies had like the lowest payroll in baseball when Francona was the manager....or I bet you didnt know that. Since 2000, they have gone from 45 Million payroll to over 165 Mill today. I guess Charlie Manuel is a bad manager....I guess no manager of a big spending team is a good manager. Hell..Dusty has managed more MVP's than Francona.

brm7675
09-28-2011, 02:22 PM
So when Francona is fired at season end what will you say then?

texasdave
09-28-2011, 02:39 PM
In 1997 Philadelphia had the 17th highest team payroll. Hardly 'like the lowest'. In his last season in 2000, Philadelphia had the 20th highest. Once again, hardly 'like the lowest'. His team won 65 games. Now that actually for 'like the lowest'. In 2001 the Phillies had the 24th highest, even lower. Larry Bowa could only manage 86 wins. 21 more than Francona won the year before.

Ohayou
09-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Meh, he's nothing special. He lets the inmates run the asylum. An approach that has worked most of the time, especially 2004. A quality manager should have figured this September trainwreck out and got at least two more wins.

This never would have happened to Joe Torre.

Stray
09-28-2011, 02:49 PM
What do the Red Sox spend, like 200 mil per year? Compared to our 80....hmm.

nux fan
09-28-2011, 03:32 PM
yeah lets defend baker, after all, baker is a scientific genius

brm7675
09-28-2011, 03:46 PM
yeah lets defend baker, after all, baker is a scientific genius

I think the point is we really don't know how good Terry is. He was given some incredible talent that most teams can't even begin to afford and was able to "guide" them to the playoffs and WS titles. What happens when he is given say an average talented team and really has to coach/manage them up...then what happens? Also, I believe it's a little easier to manage in the AL over the NL...

Vottomatic
09-28-2011, 04:08 PM
I like Francona and Joe Torre. But I always have a hard time respecting managers who have a team of All-Stars. Other than managing personalities, there's not a whole lot else to do.

Geez, when you have Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, and Roy Oswalt........how often are you gonna lose? Geez.

Baseball needs a salary cap. Or another thing they could do is limit the number of players you have on your team making a certain amount. For instance....

You can have 2 players on your team making over $15M per year.
You can have another 5 players on your team making between $10M and $15M.
You can have another 8 players making $5M to $9.9M.
And so on and so on.........

I haven't really thought it out, but I think they could come up with some kind of player salary limitations per team. That way a team like the Yankees couldn't stock up on 10 players making $15M to $25M per season.

And no deferred salaries.

texasdave
09-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Joe Torre managed for 29 years. In the 17 years that he managed teams other than the New York Yankees he never won a pennant nor took a team to the world series. He did have some success with other teams, winning three division titles.

brm7675
09-28-2011, 04:20 PM
I like Francona and Joe Torre. But I always have a hard time respecting managers who have a team of All-Stars. Other than managing personalities, there's not a whole lot else to do.

Geez, when you have Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, and Roy Oswalt........how often are you gonna lose? Geez.

Baseball needs a salary cap. Or another thing they could do is limit the number of players you have on your team making a certain amount. For instance....

You can have 2 players on your team making over $15M per year.
You can have another 5 players on your team making between $10M and $15M.
You can have another 8 players making $5M to $9.9M.
And so on and so on.........

I haven't really thought it out, but I think they could come up with some kind of player salary limitations per team. That way a team like the Yankees couldn't stock up on 10 players making $15M to $25M per season.

And no deferred salaries.

Nice idea...never will happen, players won't allow it and they control baseball, not the owners.

demas863
09-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Word is he is out as Red Sox manager at season end unless they win the World Series....would you take him as Reds manager?

Only if he slows down his gum chewing to 3 times his heart rate.

Vottomatic
09-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Did BornInCincy get sent on a vacation? :eek: