PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Temporary October Alliances

Cyclone792
09-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Most of you know the drill from previous years. The Reds are a non-playoff participant (again, unfortunately), but there are still eight teams out there to root for. Some teams we loathe, some teams we're indifferent on, and perhaps a few teams we might hold a slight soft spot for.

Nevertheless, with the Reds sitting at home, which one of the eight teams will you be rooting on to win the World Series?

Poll coming ...

reds1869
09-29-2011, 10:08 AM
I know I'll be in the minority but I hope the Brewers win it all. I've spent a lot of time in Wisconsin and have a lot of friends who are passionate Brewers fans. On top of that my interaction with Milwaukee fans has always been spectacular. On the AL side I hope the Rays do well.

PuffyPig
09-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Add "anyone but the Cards" and you will have an easy winner.....

blumj
09-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Tigers, not just because they're playing the Yankees, although that's a nice bonus, but because I want to watch lots and lots and lots of Verlander.

*BaseClogger*
09-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Simple:

Step 1) Eliminate AL teams

Step 2) Select NL team with lowest payroll

westofyou
09-29-2011, 10:37 AM
I root for 7 (or 5) extra inning games in every series, drama, grace and a Cardinals meltdown and a Yankee fail.

RANDY IN INDY
09-29-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm an NL guy but this year, the Tigers. I like Jim Leyland and watching Verlander should be fun.

redsfan30
09-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Milwaukee out of the National and Detroit out of the American.

Sea Ray
09-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Rays. You gotta love a team with a $42mil payroll in the post season

George Anderson
09-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Phillies or Tigers if for no other reason than I like their uniforms.

I'd pick the Rays but it is hard to get behind a team whose fan base just doesn't care.

marcshoe
09-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Tigers, Rangers, or Brewers. I won't really know until the playoffs start, then I'll catch the vibe, I guess.

cumberlandreds
09-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Milwaukee out of the National and Detroit out of the American.

Same for me. I wouldn't mind seeing a Brewers/Tigers World Series. TV would hate it.

Always Red
09-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Same for me. I wouldn't mind seeing a Brewers/Tigers World Series. TV would hate it.

A midwest World Series sounds great to me too. :beerme:

dfs
09-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Push the second place finishing wild card teams off the table.
I can't root for anything from the AL-East.
Heck, I'm old school enough to not even being able to root for an AL team.
For a team that started after my kids were born the Diamondbacks sure have had more than their fair share of moments in the sun. Just can't do it.

That leaves the Phillies and the Brew Crew.

On the one hand the Brewers are from my team's division and they never have won a world series (so if they do, we should expect a fall next year...)

On the other hand, I think the Phillies have been the best team in the national league for a couple of years.

I won't mind if either the Phillies of the Brewers win it all.

In order.
Phillies - Brewers - Diamonbacks - Texas - Tigers - Rays

I put Texas over the Tigers because some residual reds-dust may remain on Josh Hamilton.
After the rays, I will be rooting for a no-finish as I am incapable of rooting for the Yankees or the Cardinals.

bucksfan2
09-29-2011, 11:58 AM

I can't root for the Rays considering they have the worst fan base in baseball.

I like Leyland but Hamilton is my favorite non Red. I will root for either of those teams going forward.

But I will root like heck for Philly to win its opening series.

wlf WV
09-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Simple:

Step 1) Eliminate AL teams

Step 2) Select NL team with lowest payroll

My kinda guy...

Although,I really have a few dogs in the hunt:
Texas,because of Hamilton too Bucksfan.
Milwaukee,they have Central blood(Cardinals are removed from the family tree).
Rays,one of,if not the biggest payroll underdog in history.I'm sure someone can verify that assumption easier than me.

FlightRick
09-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Yankees.

Hate me if you must, but I have the parents from Connecticut to justify my fandom. Plus, after they ingrained Yankee fandom in me, the Yankees proceeded to suck for pretty much all my formative years. But (even as I latched onto the Reds of my own accord) I stuck with 'em, and now, ever since freshman year of college, I've had a back-up team to switch to: one that would still be playing meaningful baseball after September 1 pretty much year-in and year-out.

Rick

paulrichjr
09-29-2011, 12:48 PM

The video on MLB.com of the score being shown to the crowd at tropicana field and then Evan Longoria hitting the next pitch out is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time.

reds44
09-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Rays and Brewers.

klw
09-29-2011, 12:51 PM
I will be rooting for anyone not called the Yankees or the Cardinals but I really don't care that much. I wonder if I will remember to check in daily to see who is winning the games.

LvJ
09-29-2011, 01:00 PM
I like the Dbacks and the Rays! Hard not to like their players and the way they made it into the playoffs.

corkedbat
09-29-2011, 01:02 PM
There was no option for "none of the above". When the Reds season ends, my interest in baseball ends.

Red in Chicago
09-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Yankees. How can you not root for them?

redsfan30
09-29-2011, 01:14 PM
I get those who say the Yankees.

Don't get me wrong...I am in no way shape or form a Yankee fan but I certainly do enjoy the history and mystique that surrounds that franchise.

I'm never upset seeing the Yankees in the Fall Classic.

CarolinaRedleg
09-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Anybody but the Phoulies, WLBs or Bankees.

Roy Tucker
09-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Rays and Brewers.

Yep. Me too.

*BaseClogger*
09-29-2011, 01:21 PM
The video on MLB.com of the score being shown to the crowd at tropicana field and then Evan Longoria hitting the next pitch out is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time.

Link to this please... :)

edit: nevermind, found it. Somebody needs to edit out the Cardinals part and post it to youtube ;) :thumbup:

mdccclxix
09-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Tigers. Verlander goes 5-0.

BuckeyeRedleg
09-29-2011, 01:55 PM
I wonder if the Rays go far if that would keep them from possibly dealing shields this offseason. Because of that I picked Arizona.

Homer Bailey
09-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Rays and dbacks, just because I don't know a single rays or dbacks fan.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using tapatalk

Degenerate39
09-29-2011, 04:32 PM
DBacks or Phillies in the NL. Tigers in West

Ghosts of 1990
09-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Dbacks...

Then Rays. Then brew crew

Unassisted
09-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Milwaukee. Small-market, midwestern team like the Reds. Not whiny or disagreeable like the Cards. 2011 is likely their best shot this decade to win it all.

Reds Fanatic
09-29-2011, 04:45 PM
I guess I would most root for the Rays or Dbacks. I just hope for exiciting close series. If the postseason is even half as exciting as last night it should be a great postseason. The main thing I root for is for the Cardinals to lose in the most painful way possible.

vaticanplum
09-29-2011, 04:46 PM
I voted for the Yankees and my allegiance is by no means temporary. I do have to say, though, that you can hate on the Yankees for all the money they spend, but what that team has done this year is quite something, particularly on the pitching side. There was a time in this season, as there often is, when everybody was saying there was no way the Yankees' pitching -- and even hitting at times -- could catch the Red Sox. Yes, they spend a lot of money (the Phillies are 2nd at this point, FYI), but they are also well managed and have a knack for pulling off hat tricks. Also, Rivera. My god.

And because of the Rules of Good Sports Fandom instilled in me from birth, I'll root for any NL Central team. I couldn't have brought myself to root for the Cardinals last year, but I can do it in the playoffs now. I don't like the team but I would always be happy to see an NL Central team win the World Series.

I fear the Brewers will fade pretty quickly. Have a strong feeling the Phillies will underperform as well, though given the makeup of that team, "underperforming" could mean getting to the WS. To me the Tigers are the sleeper team.

I say this every year, but I hope more than anything to have a good playoff season. If they can carry through even a good chunk of the momentum that the sports had last night, everyone in the world could be watching baseball. or should.

crazybob60
09-29-2011, 04:48 PM
I will pull for the DBacks and then the Brewers in the NL.
In the AL I will pull for the Rays and then the Tigers.

Overall, if say the DBacks meet the Rays in the Series, I will pull for the Rays.

dougdirt
09-29-2011, 04:55 PM
I am going Rays first, then Brewers.

Rays - I have been a Rays fan for a few years now. I love how they go about running a team. Invest in the draft and development phase. Make smart decisions at the big league level. They have done more with less than any team in the last 15 years (granted they sucked for a long time, but they ever since the new front office regime came in, they are an entirely different group). It is great to watch and something I hope for with the Reds, who have more money to spend.

Brewers - One of my good friends is from the Milwaukee area. He rooted for the Reds last year, so I owe it to him this year.

I will still root for the Rays in the series if they meet up though.

But I really just hope the Yankees lose and the rest of the games are outstanding.

lollipopcurve
09-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Rays, followed by the Tigers and Dbacks.

mth123
09-29-2011, 08:41 PM
All of these teams have played baseball in an admirable fashion (even the Cardinals) so I won't be upset no matter who wins, but since early in the year, its just felt like it was Justin Verlander's time to me. I'm going with the Tigers just so he can complete his rise to the top. (I'll root against him next year.)

RFS62
09-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Rays

They make more out of their limited payroll than any team in baseball.

I don't care about their fan base. I like the team's makeup and approach, from front office down to the dugout.

Cyclone792
09-30-2011, 08:08 AM
First choice for me is the Tigers. They've always been one of the AL teams that I've liked seeing do well, and I'd enjoy getting a postseason full of Justin Verlander dominance.

After Detroit, I'd probably pull for the Rays.

Tom Servo
09-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Rays, followed by the Tigers and Dbacks.
This, in that order.

WVRed
09-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Rays and dbacks, just because I don't know a single rays or dbacks fan.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using tapatalk

Same here.

On a side note, one of WVU's biggest boosters is part owner of the DBacks. (Ken Kendrick)

OnBaseMachine
09-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Brewers, Rays, or Tigers.

RedsBaron
09-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Tigers or Rangers, but I am not that interested, frankly.