PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox, Francona to part ways

Ohayou
09-30-2011, 01:40 AM
According to Ken Rosenthal.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/manager-terry-francona-expected-to-part-ways-with-red-sox-092911

nate1213
09-30-2011, 01:53 AM
What's worse. Dusty being under .500 with a team that just won 91 a year ago, or a guy who couldn't make it to the playoffs while adding two top twenty players in the league dhring the offseason before?

drowg14
09-30-2011, 03:36 AM
What's worse. Dusty being under .500 with a team that just won 91 a year ago, or a guy who couldn't make it to the playoffs while adding two top twenty players in the league dhring the offseason before?

Yes.

FireDusty
09-30-2011, 08:25 AM
The Red Sox have multiple cancers in their clubhouse. The main cancer that killed them is the terminally overrated John Lackey.

I hope Tito sits out a year & is in the Reds dugout to start 2013.

Vottomatic
09-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Is he a player's manager?

Vottomatic
09-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Lester, Beckett, and Buchholz are quality starting pitchers. But Lackey, Wakefield, and Andrew Miller were disappointments. And Buchholz hasn't pitched since the middle of June with a back stress fracture. It sound eerily similar to the Reds problems. Pitching let them down. Weiland and Bedard didn't help the Sox much either.

I think they'd be dumb to let Francona go. I think personnel changes need to be made.

They might be a good trade partner with the Reds for some good young pitching.

brm7675
09-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Word is that Terry was kinda burnt out and was agreeable to moving on. He has lasted longer as Sox manager then any other Sox manager except 1. Most Sox managers last less then 3 seasons and Terry lasted 8.

Razzle
09-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Word is that Terry was kinda burnt out and was agreeable to moving on. He has lasted longer as Sox manager then any other Sox manager except 1. Most Sox managers last less then 3 seasons and Terry lasted 8.

There is a difference between Francona and everyone else whose managed the Red Sox in almost the last century. This difference may have been the reason for his longevity.

Stray
09-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Is he a player's manager?

Yes very much so. There's a lot that could have went into what destroyed the Red Sox this year, but it is pretty obvious that even he didn't like the chemistry in his clubhouse. There's a lot of people that are of the opinion that he let the inmates run the asylum this year. Heck there's even rumors that he had to deal with some of his player/s drinking during games this year. I don't know if there's any truth to it or not, but if true that's bad.

I think he's a really good manager, but he's a lot more Dusty than he is LaRussa.

Also, I could really see him end up in Chicago with the White Sox.

Vottomatic
09-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes very much so. There's a lot that could have went into what destroyed the Red Sox this year, but it is pretty obvious that even he didn't like the chemistry in his clubhouse. There's a lot of people that are of the opinion that he let the inmates run the asylum this year. Heck there's even rumors that he had to deal with some of his player/s drinking during games this year. I don't know if there's any truth to it or not, but if true that's bad.

I think he's a really good manager, but he's a lot more Dusty than he is LaRussa.

Also, I could really see him end up in Chicago with the White Sox.

Ugh. The White Sox are a trainwreck full of bad contracts. If I were a manager, I'd steer clear of them.

smixsell
09-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Sign him up Walt!

Stray
09-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Ugh. The White Sox are a trainwreck full of bad contracts. If I were a manager, I'd steer clear of them.

That's a good point. He could always take a year off and work with ESPN or something too.

But yeah, he's gonna get another job pretty easily. I think a lot of Reds fans will hear the name and want him without really knowing anything about his managing philosophy.

DocRed
09-30-2011, 02:10 PM
They need to fire Epstein's ***.

Old NDN
09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't think Francona would be interested in the Reds with their limited budget, unless there were no other options.

BigJohn
09-30-2011, 03:09 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-brown_red_sox_terry_francona_093011

texasdave
09-30-2011, 07:32 PM
I passed along my frustrations at my inability to effectively reach the players. After many conversations and much consideration, I ultimately felt that, out of respect to this team, it was time for me to move on.

I wonder if this is the fate of most managers; that eventually the players just stop listening.

brm7675
09-30-2011, 08:39 PM
I wonder if this is the fate of most managers; that eventually the players just stop listening.

Coaches/managers staying with the same team for long periods is a thing of the past. Players are different today and the game is different. It's surprising Terry lasted as long as he did in Boston.

Tadasimha
09-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Sign him up Walt!

A lot of southsiders want him for the White Sox, but that teams as big a mess as the Cubs. Tito's a smart guy, he won't go there. If the Padres let Bud Black go, he might end up out there.