PDA

View Full Version : Jason Heyward

Benihana
09-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Here's an interesting name no one has brought up to date. A mega prospect who had a tremendously disappointing season, Buster Olney suggests in his latest column that there is sentiment within the zbraves organization to deal him in the offseason.

Not sure if these two teams matchup, as the Braves already have a CF, a young 1B and an All-Star catcher, but it could be a tremendous buy-low opportunity for the Reds that would fix the LF/middle-of-the-order bat cheaply and for years to come.

Would you do Chapman straight up for Heyward?

If not, The Braves really liked Stephenson in the draft. Maybe start with him as a PTBNL and add Heisey, Frazier as an heir to Chipper and Barnhart as an heir to McCann?

marcshoe
09-30-2011, 09:15 AM
This would be absolutely the wrong time for the Braves to deal Heyward. Good grief, he's what, 22? My first thought would be to offer a package centered around Grandal, but the Braves' fan base isn't known for its patience, so I wonder if something with lesser major league talent would suffice.

Tom Servo
09-30-2011, 09:20 AM
The zbraves would be incredibly foolish to trade him after a sophomore slump.

Benihana
09-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Totally agree that it would be supremely foolish of the Braves to trade him Now, which is precisely why I'd like to see the Reds involved in such discussions if they do take place.

lollipopcurve
09-30-2011, 09:26 AM
You have to wonder why the Braves would consider it. Red flag, IMO.

bucksfan2
09-30-2011, 09:31 AM
I know Hewyard had some criticism directed to him from the likes of Chipper this season. I also wonder if his swing and offensive game haven't been exposed. I don't really remember his swing but isn't it pretty long?

Benihana
09-30-2011, 09:47 AM
You have to wonder why the Braves would consider it. Red flag, IMO.

People said the same thing about Alex Gordon in April.

Adrian Gonzalez was traded twice before he was 24. Ditto for Carlos Pena.

lollipopcurve
09-30-2011, 09:58 AM
People said the same thing about Alex Gordon in April.

Well, I was definitely skeptical about Gordon, based on his track record. But I was also definitely wrong. Heyward is a different case. The issue appears to be that he's soft (Chipper Jones has criticized him for not playing hurt).

Adrian Gonzalez was traded twice before he was 24. Ditto for Carlos Pena.

Yep. Braves, if they trade him, could be making a monumental mistake. Will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere. I don't see the Braves as a natural trading partner for the Reds, though. Braves have a CF, 1B and plenty of pitching.

Benihana
09-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Well, I was definitely skeptical about Gordon, based on his track record. But I was also definitely wrong. Heyward is a different case. The issue appears to be that he's soft (Chipper Jones has criticized him for not playing hurt).

Yep. Braves, if they trade him, could be making a monumental mistake. Will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere. I don't see the Braves as a natural trading partner for the Reds, though. Braves have a CF, 1B and plenty of pitching.

Agreed they are not the most natural trading partner for the Reds, as their biggest needs seem to be the similar: SS/3B/LF.

A three-team deal could make sense here, but those are way too hard to predict.

Also remember that this is the same team that traded Yunel Escobar because he didn't fit in. Time to be opportunistic Walt.

Nasty_Boy
09-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Heyward is a different case. The issue appears to be that he's soft (Chipper Jones has criticized him for not playing hurt).

I think at 22 that is very forgivable... Just because the guy is built like a man and is a professional athlete doesn't mean he is a man or a professional. I know how much I changed mentally from 22-25 and from 25-30. He's kind of learning on the fly. I think what Chipper said should have a positive effect(tought love) on him, but who knows if it created a rift between the two.

If the Braves are looking at moving Heyward now, I think its the perfect time to go after him... But as mentioned earlier in the thread, the Braves have players in the positions that the Reds have the most top end talent. He's definately worth looking into if he's really on the trading block.

Guacarock
09-30-2011, 10:47 AM
We're probably not a good match as the Braves are supposedly hoping to land a young SS, if they do trade Heyward. But he would still be a prime catch, so it wouldn't hurt to dangle other pieces (Grandal, Heisey, etc.) to see if and how Atlanta responds.

I wouldn't offer Stephenson. Braves might covet him, but we ought to for the same reasons, and aren't exactly awash in decent SP prospects.

Patrick Bateman
09-30-2011, 11:47 AM
He reminds me as an overall player a lot like Jay Bruce, and the criticisms already seem similar.

If you could get him for a fair market value return, he would be a perfect fir for the organization IMO.

Reds/Flyers Fan
09-30-2011, 01:21 PM
I don't trust the Braves and wouldn't buy anything they're selling.

They don't often make player evaluation mistakes.

Tom Servo
09-30-2011, 03:12 PM

They gave away Yunel Escobar to the Blue Jays just last year.

PuffyPig
09-30-2011, 03:13 PM

They are looking for a SS.

Perhaps they should trade him to Toronto for Escobar, who's a near .800 OPS, great fielding SS, signed to a reasonable long term contract.

LoganBuck
09-30-2011, 03:56 PM
I don't like the risk of Heyward. The Braves are going to ask for something good in return. He has a bum shoulder. While Benihana says that people said the same thing about Alex Gordon, I would say that people said the same things about Austin Kearns.

Sure I would take a flyer on him if the price is right. But to pay top dollar in terms of talent? No thanks.

osuceltic
09-30-2011, 04:01 PM
They are looking for a SS.

Perhaps they should trade him to Toronto for Escobar, who's a near .800 OPS, great fielding SS, signed to a reasonable long term contract.

I don't get the sense that anyone in Atlanta is missing Escobar.

Cedric
09-30-2011, 04:08 PM
I don't get the sense that anyone in Atlanta is missing Escobar.

They sure as hell should be.

osuceltic
09-30-2011, 04:14 PM
They sure as hell should be.

I think they had seen enough. They didn't trade him for lack of talent. Maybe he needed to be traded to get his act together. Who knows? But no one had a better look at him than Atlanta. No one knew him better.

Scrap Irony
09-30-2011, 04:21 PM
I'd deal Cozart and Heisey for him and count myself lucky. Very lucky.

IslandRed
09-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Not the same "they" in Atlanta these days.

lollipopcurve
09-30-2011, 04:51 PM
He has a bum shoulder.

Bad for pitchers, bad for hitters too.

MikeThierry
09-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Does anyone think that Heyward's swing has a huge flaw in it? I just look at him swing at times and it looks like there are some holes in it. Not saying he can't fix it but it could be a reason why the Braves are willing to move him.

15fan
09-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Jason Heyward is the 2nd coming of Jeff Francouer. Not interested.

And the Braves absolutely had to get rid of Yunel Escobar. The last guy I remember in the local clubhouse who was as unpopular as Escobar was John Rocker at his zenith.

Bobby Cox basically had 2 rules: (1) bust your butt, and (2) don't be a horse's rear end.
Escobar repeatedly failed on both fronts.

dougdirt
09-30-2011, 11:37 PM

If by that you are implying he won't live up to the hype, I guess you could say that. But as a hitter they couldn't be anymore different. Francouer has terrible plate discipline, wanting to hit anything you throw to the plate. Heyward is a pretty patient hitter.

Brutus
09-30-2011, 11:44 PM
If by that you are implying he won't live up to the hype, I guess you could say that. But as a hitter they couldn't be anymore different. Francouer has terrible plate discipline, wanting to hit anything you throw to the plate. Heyward is a pretty patient hitter.

Agreed. He has a 13% walk rate thus far in his career. Definitely not Jeff Francouer.

While Heyward's walk rate fell a little this year, probably because teams were able to pitch to him a bit more often, really the biggest difference in his numbers came from BABIP thanks to a low LD%. Most of the rest of his peripherals (ISO, K%, etc.) held pretty steady.

My hunch is that Hewyard will bounce back next year and have a solid year. Perhaps not quite to the high expectations for him, but still pretty good.

dougdirt
09-30-2011, 11:56 PM
Agreed Brutus, his IFFB rate was incredibly high this season. He will be fine moving forward assuming he is healthy and doesn't completely get away from his approach.

gilpdawg
10-01-2011, 12:23 AM
I'd deal Cozart and Heisey for him and count myself lucky. Very lucky.

You would. So would I. They wouldn't.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

cincrazy
10-01-2011, 12:35 AM
The guy is incredibly skilled, and very young. It's silly to expect him not to have any hiccups. I don't buy that they're really shopping him. I think it's more of a ploy by them to give him a wake up call.

Ghosts of 1990
10-01-2011, 03:41 PM
I know Hewyard had some criticism directed to him from the likes of Chipper this season. I also wonder if his swing and offensive game haven't been exposed. I don't really remember his swing but isn't it pretty long?

When he was hitting, it was a 'lightning quick head of the bat through the zone' and comparisons to Willie McCovey. Now that he's struggled a year, yes his swing is too long.

Atlanta won't sell low on him. That is what gets people fired forever in baseball. He'll be fine.

Ghosts of 1990
10-01-2011, 03:45 PM

And the Braves absolutely had to get rid of Yunel Escobar. The last guy I remember in the local clubhouse who was as unpopular as Escobar was John Rocker at his zenith.

Bobby Cox basically had 2 rules: (1) bust your butt, and (2) don't be a horse's rear end.
Escobar repeatedly failed on both fronts.

There is one major difference, patience. Heyward gets on base via the walk. Francoeur's OBA is dependent upon hitting his way on.

Tony Cloninger
10-01-2011, 09:43 PM
After 2010 I am sure more than a few people would not have wanted to trade Homer Bailey and Drew Stubbs for Matt Kemp.

If they can get this guy for Heisey and Volquez or Wood and Grandal....then yes by all means.

thatcoolguy_22
10-02-2011, 10:29 AM
I would have no problem with trading Chapman for him if the Bravos would do it. In fact I would be estactic about it.