PDA

View Full Version : Price Might Be Right for A's

Guacarock
10-01-2011, 10:45 PM
San Francisco Chronicle's Susan Slusser speculates that the A's might want Bryan Price as their next pitching coach.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/30/SPP41LC2IU.DTL&feed=rss.athletics&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Background context for the speculation: A's have released their 2011 pitching coach Ron Romanick. Price is seen as a possible successor because of his Bay Area ties (graduate of Tamalpais High School) and former association with A's new manager Bob Melvin in Arizona and Seattle.

Mario-Rijo
10-02-2011, 09:52 AM
San Francisco Chronicle's Susan Slusser speculates that the A's might want Bryan Price as their next pitching coach.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/30/SPP41LC2IU.DTL&feed=rss.athletics&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Background context for the speculation: A's have released their 2011 pitching coach Ron Romanick. Price is seen as a possible successor because of his Bay Area ties (graduate of Tamalpais High School) and former association with A's new manager Bob Melvin in Arizona and Seattle.

Yeah I can imagine that is an interesting possibility for Price. I guess if that happens maybe Power gets his shot. Not sure I like losing a proven commodity. Should be interesting to see how this shakes out. Is Price under contract and if he is might we make a trade?

mth123
10-02-2011, 10:08 AM
I may be in the minority, but I'm not seeing what everyone is so impressed with where price is concerned.

He's either giving Dusty some bad advice or Dusty isn't listening much and it doesn't really matter who the pitching coach is. This staff came out of Spring Training in 2010 without enough innings under the belt of the primary rotation arms and seemed to take until mid-may to round into form. The usage patterns of the bullpen have been fairly poor. The same guys were used over and over again in the early part of the year and warmed up multiple times even in games that they didn't get into. Its no wonder the pen was toast by July. Just what has he done to earn so much of a rep with everyone?

lollipopcurve
10-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Price has a 3-year deal, 2 years left. Oakland would have to agree to give the Reds something, I'd think.

Question becomes... do the Reds see Price as a possible future manager? He has been written about (prior to coming to the Reds) as a guy who could manage.

Redsfan320
10-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Question becomes... do the Reds see Price as a possible future manager? He has been written about (prior to coming to the Reds) as a guy who could manage.

I'd have Speier and Sweet in line before him to manage.

Joseph
10-02-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm in the boat of not really caring if he does leave to go to Oaktown. I was excited when he became our coach, but he hasn't really impacted any pitcher in a significant way. Maybe he gets some credit for Cueto though.

Tom Servo
10-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Price has a 3-year deal, 2 years left. Oakland would have to agree to give the Reds something, I'd think.

I don't think it works that way for coaches.

VR
10-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Not sure any of the Reds pitchers too a step forward under Price this year? Is he the guy to get max performance out of these young players?

Guacarock
10-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Not sure any of the Reds pitchers too a step forward under Price this year? Is he the guy to get max performance out of these young players?

Cueto and Leake took decisive steps forward, and Chapman and Bailey perhaps baby steps. Hard to gauge the relievers. Some like Ondrusek and Lecure looked improved early in the season, but by the end of the year, they were all tired and whipped.

One can argue whether that was the result of injuries, overuse by Baker or Price not monitoring them enough. Whatever the cause, and it could be all of the above, they didn't have the best of years.

traderumor
10-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Is Price responsible for walk prone relievers?

Mario-Rijo
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm in the boat of not really caring if he does leave to go to Oaktown. I was excited when he became our coach, but he hasn't really impacted any pitcher in a significant way. Maybe he gets some credit for Cueto though.

I believe he has helped Homer and Cueto quite a bit, beyond those 2 it's hard to say. Leake, Wood, Chapman have all seen time under Power as well so tough to gauge.

marcshoe
10-04-2011, 11:49 AM
I thought Leake developed well this season, and although Bailey's development is coming slow, it is coming. Then, of course, there's Cueto. I believe the problem with the Reds pitching has been personnel, not coaching.

VR
10-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I thought Leake developed well this season, and although Bailey's development is coming slow, it is coming. Then, of course, there's Cueto. I believe the problem with the Reds pitching has been personnel, not coaching.

Didn't Johnny get fixed on rehab in the minors?

defender
10-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Price quit the Dbacks, when they fired Melvin. He like Melvin, is also from the SF bay area. If for whatever reason, Price would rather coach the A's, I think the Reds should let him go.

camisadelgolf
10-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Per a Buster Olney tweet:

Reds denied OAK permission to talk with pitching coach Bryan Price,who has one year left on his multi-year deal. Melvin/Price AZ connection.
http://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN/status/125259371155435520

Scrap Irony
10-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Price quit the Dbacks, when they fired Melvin. He like Melvin, is also from the SF bay area. If for whatever reason, Price would rather coach the A's, I think the Reds should let him go.

If Oakland is willing to give up something for him, I'm okay with that.

JaxRed
10-15-2011, 08:11 PM
I would also take a really nice prospect for Price. And I like Price.