PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 10/3

chicoruiz
10-03-2011, 05:15 AM
Reds:

Kerry Robinson (38) One AB in 1999; better known as a Cardinal.

Bob Skinner (80) Spent '63 and '64 on the Reds bench after a fine career in Pittsburgh

Others:

Dennis Eckersley (57) I don't know if he's the best closer of all time, but he's in the conversation.

Dave Winfield (60)

Fred Clarke -Had a HOF career as a player, then bought a ranch and struck oil on it, becoming a multimilliomaire. You can't do too much better than that...

Bob Borkowski
10-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Dennis Eckersley (57) I don't know if he's the best closer of all time, but he's in the conversation.

He is known for his eccentric vocabulary: most notably, he often refers to a pitchers ability to throw in the mid to upper 90s as "cheese". He also refers to the act of hitting a home run as "going bridge", and to hair, whether on the head or face, as "moss". He supposedly coined the phrase "walk-off homer" after giving up a dramatic one to Kirk Gibson in Game 1 of the '88 World Series.

chicoruiz
10-03-2012, 06:08 PM
For some reason, he referred to homers as "bridge" shots, I guess in the sense that they were hit over some hypothetical bridge. I remember him saying "Paint masters are usually the bridge masters", which translates to mean that control pitchers tend to give up a lot of home runs.