PDA

View Full Version : Early Look at 40-man decisions

redsof72
10-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Reds have about 6-7 weeks to decide what to do with the 40-man. Seems to me that in recent years, the importance of 40-man decisions has shifted a bit. It used to be that you needed to protect the correct guys for one reason: to keep someone else from selecting someone in the Rule V that you wanted to keep. But in recent years, the trend has been that players in the minor leagues who are on the 40-man are almost certainly going to be the first mid-season callups to avoid having to DFA someone. So those decisions become crucial for multiple reasons.

First of all, how many spots will be open? Conservatively, I will say five. You have three free agents (Hernandez, Renteria, Willis), one player that will almost certainly be non-tendered (Burton), and one player who could be outrighted (Negron). Who takes the five spots?

I will say there are three locks: Phipps, Lotzkar, and Soto. Henry Rodriguez would be a strong fourth choice that I would think would be highly likely. The fifth guy, I am not sure about. I would say, right now, that my guess is Pedro Villarreal. Other candidates could be: Webb, Puckett, possibly Gil, and less likely, Rojas, Ravin, Shunick, Buchholz. The dark horse candidate: Howell. He is a better prospect than some of the guys on the list, but because he missed a year and a half on the mission, he has not pitched above low-A. Unlikely someone would take him in the Rule V.

I could be missing someone.

Of course, the five openings is a number that could be off by a couple, either way.

dougdirt
10-04-2011, 02:47 PM
I think that Ravin is a guy that someone should select if he isn't on the 40 man, at the very least to give him a look. Guys with his arm simply aren't available every day, much less for the price. I would protect Henry Rodriguez without thinking twice about it. If we needed to open another 40 man spot, I wouldn't hesitate to take off Valaika, who hasn't done much over the last three seasons.

redsof72
10-04-2011, 02:58 PM
I am not as big a Henry fan as some are, but I would agree that he will be protected. Ravin...not sure. He was eligible last year. Pitched better than his 2-8 record in Bakersfield would indicate but went 0-2, 7.07 in six starts with Carolina. Villarreal throws a little harder than Ravin and has a much better breaking ball. Ages are two months different. I gotta go with Pedro there. Villarreal was 11-7 at the same levels that Ravin was 2-10. Ravin has grown up a lot but he still has never been able to put it all together. I would like to have seen Ravin pitch somewhere this season other than in a ballpark that was 350 feet to the center field fence.

BuckeyeRedleg
10-04-2011, 03:11 PM
What's keeping Fisher, Maloney, Thompson, Valaika, and Jordan Smith on the roster?

That and I don't think Cordero comes back.

So, if there's an issue with worrying about which new guys to protect, I think there's some dead weight that can be removed from the 40-man.

_Sir_Charles_
10-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Why the certainty of non-tendering Burton? If he's healthy, he could/should be a much needed arm in the pen. I didn't follow him much this season, but IIRC he came back from being injured sometime in the second half of the year.

redsof72
10-04-2011, 03:26 PM
I am a big Burton fan but he has not been able to stay healthy. They paid him $750,000 this season and got 4.2 innings out of him. They paid him $810,000 in 2010 and got 3.1 innings out of him. Eight innings over two years for $1.56 million. If you tender a contract, it has to be at least x percentage of what he made in 2011. They could non-tender him and bring him back on a minor league deal with a non-guaranteed deal. Or they might just cut bait.

The Reds salary structure requires that they have a fair number of players in that $450,000-550,000 range.

As far as Fisher, Maloney, Thompson, Valaika, Smith...yes any of those guys could be removed from the roster. Actually, I thought Fisher provided some value this year and he might be one of those late bloomers that sticks at some point. You are talking about fringe major leaguers and you do need some of those but they are expendable. Smith had some value but got hurt. They actually still like Valaika a little as a guy who can come up and play multiple positions.

Cordero...who knows unless you are WJ or Cordero's agent.

mace
10-04-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm guessing Travis Webb gets a spot, unless he self-destructs in Arizona. Big lefty who came on like gangbusters when he was moved to the bullpen this year. I'd think there would be a distinct danger of losing him if not protected.

IslandRed
10-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Does the organization consider Phipps a real prospect now? He had a really nice line this year, but he was also starting the year as a 25-year-old repeating Double-A and he really had no track record as a hitter whatsoever. Not saying a guy can't "get it" at his age, but even minor leaguers have career years out of nowhere, and sometimes it's hard to tell that from true development.

redsof72
10-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Phipps has always been a guy that was regarded as having the tools to come on quickly. I never saw much in Phipps but obviously he is a different player now. Many would rate him as the best or second best defensive outfielder in the org (Sierra would be the other candidate for this). Excellent arm. Good athlete. Had a basketball background but 2011 was a breakout year for him. The jump to Triple-A did not slow him down a bit. He was one of the most productive players in minor league baseball from June 1 to the end of the season. When the light came on it really came on. He was hitting .197 at Carolina on June 1. When he moved up to Louisville on July 22, he was at .328. He went to Louisville and they hit him 3rd or 4th in the order, which tells you a lot. He hit .380 in over 150 at-bats there.

redsof72
10-04-2011, 05:00 PM
If you want to get a feel for whether a guy's stats in the minors are legit, look at where his manager is hitting him in the order. A guy hitting for a high average in a spot in the order where he is seeing mostly fastballs with no one on base is one thing. Doing it in the 3 or 4 spot, where every pitcher is battling to get him out and mixing in everything he's got, trying to get out of innings with men on base, that's a whole different animal.

I have seen many, many cases where a guy was hitting in the bottom of the order and they tried moving him up and he just couldn't handle it and they moved him back down. There is more to be said for that than you would ever expect. They pitch you much differently in the three hole or four hole than they would somewhere else. You are seeing the best the pitcher has in those key RBI spots in the order.

The DARK
10-04-2011, 07:43 PM
H-Rod is a certainty. Puckett would probably be my 5th choice. Gil is a possibility, and could certainly be a target with his fastball, but I wouldn't go out of my way to protect him.

dougdirt
10-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Villarreal wasn't throwing harder than Ravin was this year. At least not when I saw them both in August or what reports were from Bakersfield. Ravin was more like 89-91 in 2010, but was considerably higher than that this season.

cinreds21
10-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Henry Rodriguez is not eligible.

(I think)

However, I'd add Soto, Lotzkar, Webb and Ravin.

Phipps, I still think, should have been added in September. May be too late now since he's a free agent.

camisadelgolf
10-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Locks:
SP Bronson Arroyo
SP Johnny Cueto
SP Homer Bailey
SP Mike Leake
SP Travis Wood
RP Aroldis Chapman
RP Sam LeCure
RP Nick Masset
RP Logan Ondrusek
RP Bill Bray
C Devin Mesoraco
C Ryan Hanigan
C Yasmani Grandal
1B Joey Votto
1B Neftali Soto
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Scott Rolen
SS Paul Janish
OF Drew Stubbs
OF Chris Heisey
OF Jay Bruce
OF Yonder Alonso
OF Dave Sappelt
OF Todd Frazier
UT Miguel Cairo

The Reds have 15 spots for the following players:
On the bubble:
RP Jose Arredondo - arbitration eligible; the Reds might not be fond of his lack of control
RP Jared Burton - arbitration eligible; struggled with health two years in a row
RP Jeremy Horst - was already passed on in the rule five draft, and wasn't exactly a superstar when he was up
RP Jordan Smith - had a rough year and battled health issues
IF Chris Valaika - versatility is nice, but puts up lackluster numbers against advanced pitching
UT Kris Negron - was simply awful in AAA following an excellent winter ball performance

Out of options:
SP Matt Maloney - probably trade bait for a ptbnl; there isn't much room for him, and other teams are always in search of starting pitching
SP Daryl Thompson - health is always a question, and he was terrible when he was with the Reds
RP Carlos Fisher - had a few impressive performances but always ends up with mediocre numbers against major league hitting
3B Juan Francisco - has flashed potential but needs to find consistency

Free agents:
SP Dontrelle Willis - nice comeback story but wasn't really all that great
RP Francisco Cordero - there are rumors of him coming back, but it's possibly time for the Reds to move on
C Ramon Hernandez - impressive job, especially considering his age, but now might be the time for Mesoraco to shine
SS Edgar Renteria - rebounded from a horrible start but he's clearly past his heyday

Could be added (although some of these are extremely doubtful):
SP Josh Ravin - impressive arm, not-so-impressive numbers
SP Scott Carroll - might be solid as a reliever
SP Matt Fairel - had an awful 2011 and might just be organizational filler, but he puts up good numbers when healthy
SP Clayton Tanner - the Giants gave up on him, but you hate to lose a lefty with good peripherals
SP Pedro Villarreal - excellent control and decent stuff; probably a future major leaguer
SP Ismael Guillon - superb stuff but clearly not ready for a big league roster
SP Kyle Lotzkar - some of the best stuff in the organization, but can he overcome his arm issues following changed mechanics?
RP Jerry Gil - converted shortstop flashes plus-plus stuff, but is this project ready for prime time?
RP Travis Webb - looked excellent as a reliever; might be worth a shot as a loogy
RP Jordan Hotchkiss - barely pitched in 2011 but deserved consideration for Reds' minor league pitcher of the year in 2010; might be worth a shot as a reliever
RP Clay Shunick - performed very well after moving to the bullpen
RP Blaine Howell - good arm and great numbers but hasn't pitched above A-ball
1B/OF Danny Dorn - has already been omitted from the 40-man roster for what seems like a million times; just had his least impressive year to date; looks like minor league pitchers are finally starting to figure him out
2B Henry Rodriguez - redsof72 has brought up questions about his intangibles and some of his skills, but he has always put up decent numbers while being young for every level
3B Eric Campbell - did the Reds figure something out that makes him a legit prospect again?
SS Didi Gregorius - adding him may be slightly premature, but his skills will likely get him a 40-man roster spot
SS Miguel Rojas - all glove and no stick, but an opposing team might find a use for that
OF Bill Rhinehart - looks like organizational filler, but a light seemed to turn on at some point last year; you never know when the Reds' scouts see something other teams don't
OF Denis Phipps - has been called a human tool shed; his lack of success in the past may bring up doubters, but the Reds have shown a willingness to add players to the roster based on recent success
UT Cody Puckett - has shown a good ability to hit, but is it enough to compensate for his lack of defense?

lollipopcurve
10-05-2011, 09:55 AM
IMO, Maloney and Thompson are expendable. Burton should be gone. Smith is iffy, but I'd probably give him another year. Keep Valaika.

Here's my ranking of the guys to add:

1. Phipps
2. HRod (if his clock dictates it)
3. Soto
4. Lotzkar (would be higher, but injury issues persist)
5. Rojas (great glove off the bench always has a spot)
6. Puckett
7/8 Villareal/Ravin (gotta have starters in the system)
9/10. Howell/Webb (gotta have some LH relievers too)

redsof72
10-05-2011, 10:14 AM
How hard were Ravin and Villarreal throwing when you saw them? In 2010, Villarreal pitched at 92-94. Ravin was not as consistent on the gun...88-94, but mostly 90-91.

I talked to a key Reds exec this season who will go nameless but is near the top of the food chain and asked point blank: Who has the best slider in the org? The answer that came back without hesitation: Pedro Villarreal. I said, "how can you put him above Donnie Joseph, who clearly gets more movement on his slider?" He said Joseph's slider moves so much that guys won't swing at it and it breaks outside the zone. I thought that was interesting. Joseph's slider is not as good because it moves too much.

Off topic, I will say this: The slider that Donnie Joseph threw in 2010 was devastating. Lefthanded hitters often had no chance. Righthanded hitters were swinging at pitches that were hitting them in the feet. That did not work in Double-A, but I am not ready to give up on him yet. He just needs to command the pitch better.

redsof72
10-05-2011, 10:32 AM
H-Rod: A lot of mental lapses, forgetting to cover bases on bunt plays, got taken out of games for not hustling...maybe he will grow out of those things but they likely will continue to show up at every level.

Defensively, 23 errors this season, mostly at second base. Below average range. A second baseman like that needs to hit .300 to justify being in the lineup...and he did at two different levels this season so I am giving him credit.

Half season at Carolina: .302, 5 HR, 11 E. I need more defense to get excited about this player. Has a chance to be a Keppinger type if he keeps hitting.

cinreds21
10-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Cam, Didi is not eligible. I asked him myself during the season. And I'm almost certain Henry Rodriguez isn't either.

camisadelgolf
10-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Didi signed on 8/6/07, and HRod signed on 3/27/07. I don't know where the cutoff is to be eligible, but there's a decent chance it's between those two dates.

lollipopcurve
10-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Half season at Carolina: .302, 5 HR, 11 E. I need more defense to get excited about this player. Has a chance to be a Keppinger type if he keeps hitting.

The main attraction for me re: HRod is that he switch hits and can play all over the infield. Plus he runs well. You're talking the perfect profile for a utility infielder.

cinreds21
10-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Didi signed on 8/6/07, and HRod signed on 3/27/07. I don't know where the cutoff is to be eligible, but there's a decent chance it's between those two dates.

I thought they were both eligible as well, but I have heard differently.

redsof72
10-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Henry's speed is big league average. I can't agree with you that he is a perfect utility guy. If you look at a player like a Nick Punto, for example, he is going to give you good defense at second, short, or third. Henry is going to give you below average defense at second and well below average defense at short. His arm strength at third is going to be well below average. At the big league level, you could play him at short or third in an emergency, but you could not have him on a big league roster as the primary back up at those positions, no more than you could have Todd Frazier as your primary back-up at shortstop.

If Henry is to help the Reds at the big league level, it would be as a Todd Walker type player...a guy who is going to give up some runs in the field at second base but hopefully hit enough to more than make it back at the plate. He would have to be an offense-generating second baseman that provides enough stick to offset what he gives up on defense. Or maybe he becomes a Lenny Harris type player who is a solid bat off the bench. He could be valuable in that role.

By comparison, Henry made 23 errors this season and Ronald Torreyes made three in about 60 percent of the games.

lollipopcurve
10-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Henry's speed is big league average. I can't agree with you that he is a perfect utility guy. If you look at a player like a Nick Punto, for example, he is going to give you good defense at second, short, or third. Henry is going to give you below average defense at second and well below average defense at short. His arm strength at third is going to be well below average. At the big league level, you could play him at short or third in an emergency, but you could not have him on a big league roster as the primary back up at those positions, no more than you could have Todd Frazier as your primary back-up at shortstop.

If Henry is to help the Reds at the big league level, it would be as a Todd Walker type player...a guy who is going to give up some runs in the field at second base but hopefully hit enough to more than make it back at the plate. He would have to be an offense-generating second baseman that provides enough stick to offset what he gives up on defense. Or maybe he becomes a Lenny Harris type player who is a solid bat off the bench. He could be valuable in that role.

By comparison, Henry made 23 errors this season and Ronald Torreyes made three in about 60 percent of the games.

I was hoping to hear HRod's defense was better. Perhaps he can improve it -- if his hands are OK, there's hope. Sometimes guys get better on defense by working harder at it. We shall see -- I still contend that he profiles as a real good bench player, assuming he would dedicate himself to filling that role well. If his bat continues to come on, yeah, maybe he succeeds Phillips someday -- but like you, I like Torreyes better as a starter.

cinreds21
10-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I will advocate for Henry. I think he's a good player. Not many people are a fan of him, but I think he'll be a good big leaguer. I don't know if he'll be a starter, but he will be there.

dougdirt
10-05-2011, 04:56 PM
How hard were Ravin and Villarreal throwing when you saw them? In 2010, Villarreal pitched at 92-94. Ravin was not as consistent on the gun...88-94, but mostly 90-91.
I saw both guys in August. Ravin was consistently 94-95 on a scouts gun and topped out at 97. Villarreal was in the 91-94 range when I saw him.

redsof72
10-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Henry has the confidence and swagger that you need (though it will rub some the wrong way). I think he is one of the better pure hitters in the system, but put it this way: with the way he has hit the last two years, the fact that he is not higher on some of the prospect lists tells you something maybe is not quite up to speed.

No question Henry gets to the big leagues. I am not saying he can't be a starter at second but it will have to be as an offense-generating second baseman because he is going to let some runs in. There are some big league managers who would dismiss him right away because they want more range at second base but if he hits enough, he can overcome that.

redsof72
10-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Wow. That is great for Ravin. Surprised he did not pitch better at Carolina throwing like that. He has to keep improving his secondary stuff.

camisadelgolf
10-05-2011, 06:21 PM
If I have my pick of 15 from the list above, I'd take only 10-12 tops. Here are the ones I want:
SP Edinson Volquez (I forgot to mention him in my previous posts)
RP Jose Arredondo
RP Jeremy Horst
RP Jordan Smith
IF Chris Valaika
3B Juan Francisco - give him a chance in spring training, and cut bait only if necessary
SP Pedro Villarreal
SP Kyle Lotzkar
RP Travis Webb - only if he does well in winter ball
2B Henry Rodriguez
OF Denis Phipps - I'm not completely sold on him, but he'd be nice to have around in the event of injury to Heisey and/or Sappelt
UT Cody Puckett - only if he does well in winter ball

Outright Kris Negron. Players like him are basically a dime a dozen on the waiver wire.
Blaine Howell hasn't pitched above the Midwest League, so I'm willing to leave him unprotected this year and bank on him going through too many growing pains to stay on a 25-man roster.
I really wish Matt Maloney had another option year left, but I think it's time to trade him for whatever you can get. He's the type of guy that could end up being a middle-of-the-rotation starter in Safeco Field or Petco Park, but at Great American Bandstand, he's just not a fit.
People forget that Jerry Gil is out of options. I don't see much point in adding him to the 40-man roster right now since he'd probably get DFAed anyway.
The Reds have given Daryl Thompson pretty much every chance possible, but I think he just doesn't have what it takes to be consistently successful in MLB.
Scott Carroll might be able to help you in the pen, but I'm okay with letting another team trying that out first.
I still haven't seen Clay Shunick pitch. Something tells me that the Reds might see something in him, but until he has success against more advanced hitting, I don't see much need to add him to the 40-man roster.
I like Carlos Fisher's stuff out of the pen, but I just haven't seen enough command to think that I could count on him to be effective the whole year. Trade him for a ptbnl.

That would leave 3-5 spots open for rule five selections and free agents. Given the Reds' budget, I'd think that would be more than enough. Next year's decisions will probably be tougher to make because they'll need roster spots for Brad Boxberger, Dan Corcino, J.C. Sulbaran, Nick Christiani, Donnie Joseph, Didi Gregorius, and possibly even Juan Duran, Mark Serrano, or anyone who's possibly ready for the 25-man roster before necessary (e.g. Brodie Greene).

corkedbat
10-05-2011, 08:06 PM
I think there are five to secen spots on the forty-man that can be cleared right away. I'd expect there to be at least a couple of multi-olayer deals where the rs send 2 or three players in return for 1 or 2, freeing spots also. I don't know if this will happen in time to make a difference before the Rule 5 draft though. I'd like to see them keep Campbell and Reinhardt (if eligible) for another year at least.

mth123
10-05-2011, 08:25 PM
This has been posted in this thread, but Ramon. Willis, Cordero and Renteria are automatic subtracts. Cozart comes off the 60 day DL but they started out with 39, so that leaves them at 36. Last year I was Negron's biggest supporter, but he washed out. He goes. Jared Burton should be non-tendered so may as well move him off the roster now. Jordan Smith and Daryl Thompson aren't god enough. That leaves us at 32.

1. I'd add Phipps because he had a big year and is potential depth at AAA.
2. I'd add H-Rod if need be.
3. I'd add Clayton Tanner. The team needs arms who can give some innings in a pinch. He's a lefty and is still young.
4. If Janish ends up off the roster at some point, the team will need a defensive minded SS in AAA. I Add Miguel Rojas to keep him from walking as a FA (I doubt he'd get picked.)
5. I'd add Webb since he's a lefty who looked promising in the pen. If he tanks in the AFL, I might change my mind here.
6. I'd add Soto because he can mash.

That's 38 spots (37 if H-Rod doesn't need to be added). I'd leave some open for the Reds eventual pursuit of CC Sabathia, Albert Pujols (for LF) and Jonathon Papelbon.

dougdirt
10-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Wow. That is great for Ravin. Surprised he did not pitch better at Carolina throwing like that. He has to keep improving his secondary stuff.

While I only saw him that one time in Carolina this year, it seemed to be pretty much the story of his season. He went 5+ that game. Through 5 innings, he had this line: 5ip, 2h, 1bb, 0er, 3K.

In the 6th inning he allowed a leadoff infield single, then walked three batters in a row before exiting the game. The first pitch from the reliever went over the wall for a grand slam and three more runs to Ravin.

When he had his control this season, he was flat out dominating regardless of whether he was in Bakersfield or in Carolina. But when he was off, he paid the price. There is a lot to like about Ravin and if he can ever find some consistency, he has a ton of potential.

redsof72
10-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Ravin has come light years from where he was in terms of maturity. He never could get over the "one bad inning" problem when he just fell apart. This, I think, is still a maturity issue. Being able to face adversity and not get rattled is a big part of pitching. It's also a command issue. When he starts to lose his command, he gets hit (often taking miles off the fastball to get pitches over that are then blasted by the hitter).

I would love to see him put it together. He has come a long way. But still, he has now played six years of professional baseball. His career record is 13-40.

I agree, good arm. I think it will be a close call as far as the 40 man. I will say this: if he is left unprotected and gets taken by someone in the Rule V, he will be back with the Reds eventually. I don't think he could hold up for a full season in the bigs, even if you tried to hide him and only use him in extremely low pressure situations. He does not have that composure yet to deal with the pressure. I am pulling for him though.

_Sir_Charles_
10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
I'd leave some open for the Reds eventual pursuit of CC Sabathia, Albert Pujols (for LF) and Jonathon Papelbon.

:lol: Diet Coke shooting out of my nose BURNS! Damn you Mth!

camisadelgolf
10-06-2011, 06:01 PM
I'd love to see Votto's reaction if he were asked to move to left field for Pujols (or Fielder or anyone else for that matter) to man first base. It would say a lot about him.

mth123
11-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Bumping this thread to continue discussion of the 40 man roster. The deadline for setting the 40 man roster is November 19th (last day some one in the system can be added to be protected from the Rule 5 draft) and the GM and Owners meetings take place next week. The Reds still sit several spots below 40 and there aren't really many obvious candidates that need to be added to avoid losing them.

When Walt let Maloney and others go, he stated that there were a number of young players who need to be protected to keep from losing them. I don't really see it. Phipps was already added and there are few others. Perhaps we'll see an addition or two from outside the organization soon. I posted soem names in October, but in hindsight Webb and Rojas don't look so hot and shouldn't be added. Not sure if H-Rod and Soto need added, they are obvious additions if so. Beyond them, I don't see much. The Reds need some AAA rotation depth. I'd think about adding Clayton Tanner if he needs to be added, but he probably wouldn't get picked if they don't. Perhaps they would sign a minor league FA Starting Pitcher or two with a 40 man spot as incentive to get their name on the contract.

HokieRed
11-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Protect the arms and the guys who can hit the ball out of the ballpark. Don't get too infatuated with adding multiple utility infielders; they're not going to get picked anyway.

The DARK
11-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Soto and H-Rod require adding. Ravin and Lotzkar might as well, and I'd give Jordan Smith a spot. He may have struggled earlier this year, but I wouldn't write him off just yet. Most of the other guys either don't profile as Rule 5 selections or are too young to fit on anybody's 25-man.

camisadelgolf
11-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Soto and H-Rod require adding. Ravin and Lotzkar might as well, and I'd give Jordan Smith a spot. He may have struggled earlier this year, but I wouldn't write him off just yet. Most of the other guys either don't profile as Rule 5 selections or are too young to fit on anybody's 25-man.
I don't know whether you realize it, but Jordan Smith is currently on the 40-man roster.

mth123
11-16-2011, 06:24 AM

I can't see a team taking Lotzkar and keeping him on the 40 man roster. Though with his background, he may be a candidate to take and hide on the DL. In the few innings he's pitched in the minors, he could probably progress his innings count with rehab stints. Throw in a dash of winter ball and it might be a way to develop him while stealing him away. But next season thy would need to keep him again if they don't get enough time on the active roster. I just don't see it and if it does happen, I'd expect the Reds to have a chance to get him back at some point. I could see adding Ravin but he seems like the forever tease with a big arm who never produces much even in the minors.

I really hope they use these spots to attract a AAAA starter or two who they can stash at Louisville. The Reds have a couple of guys who could come out of the pen to make a spot start, but with Maloney gone, they really don't have a guy at AAA who could come up and start unless they send Wood or Chapman down. Having guys who may eventually become starters in the big league pen is nice, but I'd like to see a couple of guys who are stretched out and starting regularly in AAA available if the need arises. I really don't see a better use for all the open spots they have and if a use pops up, there are still plenty of guys who could be dropped without any remorse. IMO Jordan Smith is a guy I'd drop if room was needed. Negron, Valaika, and if necessary Fisher and Horst as well. Having room on the 40 man isn't really the problem its been in prior years since it looks like the Reds will use its ready minor league depth to fill the 25 man roster instead of cluttering it with scrap heap vets who are guaranteed multi-millions to do a minimum wage job. I hope the get a couple vet arms who are ticketed for AAA as insurance, but spare us the Renterias, Lewises and Lincolns of the world who are guaranteed jobs in Cincy.

lollipopcurve
11-16-2011, 09:28 AM
I really hope they use these spots to attract a AAAA starter or two who they can stash at Louisville.

Whether he starts or relieves, Brackman is a guy I'd like to see them add. He'll get a 40-man spot with somebody, I think.

redsof72
11-18-2011, 02:30 PM
One name I had somehow overlooked in terms of players who have reached the Rule V eligibility level was Donald Lutz and Lutz will be added to the 40-man.

JaxRed
11-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Is that your opinion or is that inside info? I'm surprised if it's inside info. Didn't think he had a high enough ceiling.

lollipopcurve
11-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Didn't think he had a high enough ceiling.

Lutz came on very strong last year. Hit .340 in the 2nd half at Dayton with good all-field power. Probably the best power-hitting prospect in the system right now, IMO.

Good video of him at www.minorleaguebaseball.com. Just enter his name in the search window.

dougdirt
11-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Lutz came on very strong last year. Hit .340 in the 2nd half at Dayton with good all-field power. Probably the best power-hitting prospect in the system right now, IMO.

Good video of him at www.minorleaguebaseball.com. Just enter his name in the search window.

Don't get me wrong, I like Donald Lutz.... but he isn't a better power hitting prospect than Neftali Soto is.

lollipopcurve
11-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like Donald Lutz.... but he isn't a better power hitting prospect than Neftali Soto is.

I may disagree with you there. Time will tell.

dougdirt
11-18-2011, 03:15 PM
I may disagree with you there. Time will tell.

Lutz is raw, so I get that part of it... but Soto is all of 3 week older than Lutz is and showed off a lot more power two levels higher.

lollipopcurve
11-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Lutz is raw, so I get that part of it... but Soto is all of 3 week older than Lutz is and showed off a lot more power two levels higher.

Soto's ahead now, but we'll see where they end up.

thatcoolguy_22
11-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Just in case this wasn't seen yet

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/2011/11/18/reds-add-six-to-40-man-roster/

TODAY’S NEWS: The Reds added to the 40-man roster IF Didi Gregorius, RHP Kyle Lotzkar, IF Donald Lutz, IF Henry Rodriguez, IF Neftali Soto and RHP Pedro Villarreal…the 40-man roster is at 40 players.

Gallen5862
11-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Who gets dropped from the 40 man roster if the Reds sign free agents? Does this effect the Reds plans to offer arbitration to Ramon Hernandez?