PDA

View Full Version : NBA 2012......Maybe

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ervinsm84
05-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Barkley has an Emmy? Never mind, it was dirty.

I would bet everything I own that Barkley fouled someone like that at some point in his career and wasn't ejected, I bet back when he played it wasn't even flagrant.

Your logic continues to fail. I only used Barkley as a means of a better and more qualified appeal to authority than either of our crappy "careers" seeing as you just dismissed my opinion as "oh he hasn't played much ball in his life."

The other thing you don't seem to follow is whether Barkley fouled someone like that or not in his career has absolutely nothing to do with whether this individual play by Kobe was a cheap shot.

Also, I don't think Kobe is a dirty player and I doubt Chuck does either. But that one particular play I think was dirty. 1 dirty play /=/ dirty player and I never said it did. And tbh, if any one should/would be ok with a cheap shot/dirty play would it not make the most sense that a guy who did it during his career would be the most likely to be ok with it?? So when Barkley then thinks it should be an ejection hmmm...

Razor Shines
05-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Your logic continues to fail. I only used Barkley as a means of a better and more qualified appeal to authority than either of our crappy "careers" seeing as you just dismissed my opinion as "oh he hasn't played much ball in his life."

The other thing you don't seem to follow is whether Barkley fouled someone like that or not in his career has absolutely nothing to do with whether this individual play by Kobe was a cheap shot.

Also, I don't think Kobe is a dirty player and I doubt Chuck does either. But that one particular play I think was dirty. 1 dirty play /=/ dirty player and I never said it did. And tbh, if any one should/would be ok with a cheap shot/dirty play would it not make the most sense that a guy who did it during his career would be the most likely to be ok with it?? So when Barkley then thinks it should be an ejection hmmm...

Yes, I follow what you were doing with Barkley, I just dont care what Barkley says on the air about it. So I was having some fun.

It wasn't dirty. He made a play on the ball. I don't see how someone could see it as dirty but oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WMR
05-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Only way to solve this is for you guys to play a game of 1 v 1... prison rules...

RBA
05-11-2012, 05:36 PM
People take Barkley seriously? I thought he is on the show for comic relief.

Razor Shines
05-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Only way to solve this is for you guys to play a game of 1 v 1... prison rules...

I'm down, unless prison rules means there's gonna be a rape afterwards.

Since IU and UK aren't gonna play this year I guess me and you, WMR, are gonna have to play to continue our bet.

improbus
05-11-2012, 10:09 PM
What would have happened if that same hit was done by Metta?

Razor Shines
05-12-2012, 12:46 AM
What would have happened if that same hit was done by Metta?

He might have gotten an F2, but I would have disagreed. And I can't stand Ron Ron.

TeamSelig
05-12-2012, 02:38 AM
Dirty play, you cannot argue that. He somewhat made a play on the ball, but that was practically a haymaker thrown

Razor Shines
05-12-2012, 02:49 AM
Dirty play, you cannot argue that. He somewhat made a play on the ball, but that was practically a haymaker thrown

Geez. He was a few inches from making a clean block. I honestly think Kobe just didn't get up as high as he thought he would. I think a younger Kobe, or even a less sick Kobe, has a good chance of making a clean block.

Orenda
05-12-2012, 03:12 AM
Lebron gets 3rd MVP, guy is unreal.

Revering4Blue
05-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Tweet of the night from J.A Adande.

every time Marc Gasol makes a good play I picture Kobe texting Pau: "See? SEE?"

Orenda
05-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Another big night for KG. Rondo is a walking big game triple double waiting to happen. Should be a good series.

Orenda
05-13-2012, 02:01 AM
dear crystal ball, who will have the longer pro career, Steve Blake or Juan Dixon? Turtle races.

Razor Shines
05-13-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't enjoy watching the Pacers play teams with super stars. I know going in the Heat are going to get the calls but I still end up getting angry when it goes that way.

I enjoyed the Lakers/Nuggets game last night even though I recognized that the Lakers were getting all the calls but I didn't care who won the game.

redsfanmia
05-13-2012, 07:54 PM
I don't enjoy watching the Pacers play teams with super stars. I know going in the Heat are going to get the calls but I still end up getting angry when it goes that way.

This is why I stopped following the NBA, the superstar treatment is a joke and cost the Pacers atleast one championship.

RBA
05-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Time to root for the underdogs. Go Lakers! Go Clippers!

Assembly Hall
05-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Time to root for the underdogs. Go Lakers! Go Clippers!

Lakers an underdog? Go Celtics!!!!!!!!!!!

Razor Shines
05-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Lakers an underdog? Go Celtics!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. I'll be very surprised to see them get past OKC. I hope they do because Kobe will have to play out of his mind and he's the most entertaining player in the NBA when he's playing that way.

Razor Shines
05-13-2012, 10:17 PM
This is why I stopped following the NBA, the superstar treatment is a joke and cost the Pacers atleast one championship.

I still enjoy the NBA very much, just frustrating when I'm invested in a team.

WMR
05-13-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm down, unless prison rules means there's gonna be a rape afterwards.

Since IU and UK aren't gonna play this year I guess me and you, WMR, are gonna have to play to continue our bet.

Just don't try to bring it in the paint. :D

Razor Shines
05-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Just don't try to bring it in the paint. :D

Won't have to. Hand down, man down when you're guarding me. ;)

improbus
05-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Chris Webber just said something like, "Man, every time I hear Phil Collins In the Air Tonight at a playoff game, you know it is a big moment in the game." Huh?

improbus
05-14-2012, 10:22 PM
I may have to rethink my love for the NBA after the Memphis/Clipper game 7 and this Sixer/Celtic game. Yuck.

Razor Shines
05-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Chris Webber just said something like, "Man, every time I hear Phil Collins In the Air Tonight at a playoff game, you know it is a big moment in the game." Huh?

Before I heard him as a commentator I didn't think he was dumb for calling that time out, I thought it could have happened to anyone. Since I've heard him as a commentator however, I'm starting to re think that.

WMR
05-15-2012, 04:04 AM
Won't have to. Hand down, man down when you're guarding me. ;)

How's your FT shooting? :evil:

Razor Shines
05-15-2012, 10:07 PM
That play by Wade was very dirty. If that was someone besides a super star they'd have been talking about F2. You can't body check someone from behind when they're on a dead sprint and dont even have the ball.

Razor Shines
05-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Lol at the refs "not seeing" 4 Pacers calling time out before Lebron tied up George.

Stray
05-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Let me get this straight, you have Lebron and Wade on the floor and you run a play for Mario Chalmers with the game on the line?

And that play before it looked like Lebron wanted no part of that moment. That dude is the best player in the world, it's weird how he gets in pressure situations.

improbus
05-15-2012, 11:00 PM
And that play before it looked like Lebron wanted no part of that moment. That dude is the best player in the world, it's weird how he gets in pressure situations.

I'm the biggest LeBron guy you'll find, but he didn't want any part of that moment. It was really disappointing.

improbus
05-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Eric Bledsoe is a breathtakingly bad basketball player. He is a physical specimen who doesn't seem to have any clue what he is doing.

Stray
05-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Eric Bledsoe is a breathtakingly bad basketball player. He is a physical specimen who doesn't seem to have any clue what he is doing.

He was really good in their first series when the Clippers knocked out my bandwagon Grizzlies.

improbus
05-16-2012, 12:25 AM
He was really good in their first series when the Clippers knocked out my bandwagon Grizzlies.

He is devastating in the open court and on defense. But, he is a half court disaster.

Stray
05-16-2012, 12:27 AM
This Spurs offense is a thing of beauty.

ervinsm84
05-16-2012, 12:29 AM
This Spurs offense is a thing of beauty.

They are definitely fun to watch and extremely good. OKC/SAS should be an epic West Finals.

Razor Shines
05-16-2012, 12:44 AM
"I saw their little celebration at the end of the game. So I don't know if they didn't expect to win." - Dwyane Wade

Lol. You got em there D, although its slightly better than celebrating your championships before the season even starts and then not winning.

Lebron gets all the grief but IMO Wade is consistently the bigger db and he gets a pass because he has a ring. Without Lebron this Heat team is slightly better than .500.

fearofpopvol1
05-16-2012, 02:35 AM
As a lifelong Pacers fan who didn't think the team had a good chance going into the series, things look rosier now than before. I hate the fact that Bosh is injured though. As much as I loathe the Heat, I still do not like injuries. It cheapens the games and the wins. With that said, the Pacers are a better team than many have given them credit for. Even though they lack a true "star," they are well balanced and have a very deep bench. If they can beat the Heat, I think they will make it to the finals.

fearofpopvol1
05-16-2012, 02:37 AM
"I saw their little celebration at the end of the game. So I don't know if they didn't expect to win." - Dwyane Wade

Lol. You got em there D, although its slightly better than celebrating your championships before the season even starts and then not winning.

Lebron gets all the grief but IMO Wade is consistently the bigger db and he gets a pass because he has a ring. Without Lebron this Heat team is slightly better than .500.

Don't forget, LeBron did say before the series started...

"I don't think they've given us too many problems, personally," he said of the Pacers. "I think we gave them more problems than they gave us."

It's kind of a db thing to say.

Razor Shines
05-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Don't forget, LeBron did say before the series started...

It's kind of a db thing to say.

Yeah, kind of but I don't mind that nearly as much as what Wade said. I mean the Heat did give the Pacers more problems than the Pacers gave them. Lebron could pretty much insert any team in the league where he said "Pacers".

Orenda
05-16-2012, 03:39 PM
heard the name George Hill playing for Broad Ripple, folks say he's got a chance to be a real player.

Razor Shines
05-16-2012, 04:25 PM
heard the name George Hill playing for Broad Ripple, folks say he's got a chance to be a real player.

Yeah, he might be ok.

improbus
05-16-2012, 11:33 PM
San Antonio is hitting an insane amount of threes (at 43%). OKC is giving up 38% (2nd worst in playoffs). That is not a good omen for the Thunder.

Stray
05-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Pacers have a nice lead in the 3rd quarter.

improbus
05-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Wow. Miami is in trouble. Wade has shot 37, 35, 36, and 15% in his last 4 games.

Stray
05-18-2012, 01:22 AM
The Pacers have em rattled. Wade was getting into it with Spoelstra on the bench haha.

texasdave
05-18-2012, 01:39 AM
The Pacers have em rattled. Wade was getting into it with Spoelstra on the bench haha.

Did he cross body check anyone tonight?

Razor Shines
05-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Did he cross body check anyone tonight?

He body bumped Spoelstra when they were arguing.

From that exchange it looked clear to me that both Wade and Spoelstra know that Spoelstra has no real authority over Wade.

NJReds
05-18-2012, 11:09 AM

From that exchange it looked clear to me that both Wade and Spoelstra know that Spoelstra has no real authority over Wade.

After they bumped, did Wade flop and ask for free throws? ;)

texasdave
05-18-2012, 02:21 PM
After they bumped, did Wade flop and ask for free throws? ;)

No. But Spoelstra was begging the refs to hit Wade with a Flagrant-2. :)

improbus
05-18-2012, 08:03 PM

What is Spo going to do? Replace Wade with Terrell Harris or Norris Cole?

Razor Shines
05-18-2012, 09:21 PM
What is Spo going to do? Replace Wade with Terrell Harris or Norris Cole?

No, never said that. Not even close. Just saying that just judging be that exchange it seems the coach player roles are reversed in terms of who intimidates who.

improbus
05-18-2012, 09:55 PM
No, never said that. Not even close. Just saying that just judging be that exchange it seems the coach player roles are reversed in terms of who intimidates who.

There aren't many coaches who command the utmost respect of the players. Phil, Riley, Pop, Rivers, and maybe Carlisle.

Razor Shines
05-19-2012, 02:17 AM
There aren't many coaches who command the utmost respect of the players. Phil, Riley, Pop, Rivers, and maybe Carlisle.

Utmost? Sure. How about the modicum of "wink, wink" respect most other coaches get? What Wade did was worse than what Bynum did to Brown, but Bynum got ripped by the media. What Wade did was T.O. stuff but without any consequence.

Scrap Irony
05-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Rivers, from a former colleague, isn't all that respected by his players. Neither is Carlisle. (Though George Karl is, by almost all accounts, a great guy.)

Garnett and Pierce are basically coaching while on the floor. Ray Allen, interestingly, is looked at as more than slightly off his rocker. (And Rondo is looked at as one of the two or three most talented players in the game, but an absolute A-hole. He's also willingly indifferent to most things males judge their manhood on.)

improbus
05-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Rivers, from a former colleague, isn't all that respected by his players. Neither is Carlisle. (Though George Karl is, by almost all accounts, a great guy.)

Garnett and Pierce are basically coaching while on the floor. Ray Allen, interestingly, is looked at as more than slightly off his rocker. (And Rondo is looked at as one of the two or three most talented players in the game, but an absolute A-hole. He's also willingly indifferent to most things males judge their manhood on.)
I think you could even argue that Kobe very often disrespected Phil. But, I think "respected" is probably a loaded word here. Phil is generally respected because he has won. The same goes with Riley. But, Alonzo Mourning used to scream in Riley's face all the time. So did Shaq.

In the end, Pop is respected because of the way Duncan handles him and his teammates. The same went with Phil and Michael. The star players attitude dictates the teams attitude (see Howard, Dwight).

Assembly Hall
05-19-2012, 09:49 PM
I think you could even argue that Kobe very often disrespected Phil. But, I think "respected" is probably a loaded word here. Phil is generally respected because he has won. The same goes with Riley. But, Alonzo Mourning used to scream in Riley's face all the time. So did Shaq.

In the end, Pop is respected because of the way Duncan handles him and his teammates. The same went with Phil and Michael. The star players attitude dictates the teams attitude (see Howard, Dwight).

Amen!!!!!! The inmates running the asylum=NBA.

Stray
05-20-2012, 12:27 PM
The Lakers should be up 3 games to 1 against OKC. And I'm pretty sure LA is actually the better team. For whatever reason in the 4th quarter they turn into a jump shooting team when they have Bynum and Gasol inside. Games 2 and 4 kinda go on Kobe and Mike Brown, they just gave them away.

It doesn't matter I don't think, the Spurs are going to pick apart either of them. OKC would be legit if they had a post player...you can't win a championship playing 1 on 1 and living on 17 footers.

Oh and I can't wait to see how the Heat look today. There's a ton of pressure on them.

Assembly Hall
05-20-2012, 12:53 PM
The Lakers should be up 3 games to 1 against OKC. And I'm pretty sure LA is actually the better team. For whatever reason in the 4th quarter they turn into a jump shooting team when they have Bynum and Gasol inside. Games 2 and 4 kinda go on Kobe and Mike Brown, they just gave them away.

It doesn't matter I don't think, the Spurs are going to pick apart either of them. OKC would be legit if they had a post player...you can't win a championship playing 1 on 1 and living on 17 footers.

Oh and I can't wait to see how the Heat look today. There's a ton of pressure on them.

You betcha on that last sentence. Go Pacers!!!!!!!!!!

Razor Shines
05-20-2012, 03:20 PM
I think there's equal pressure on both teams. I think whoever wins this game wins the series.

And I think the Pacers will have to blow out the Heat to win.

Stray
05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Pacers looking good in the 1st half. I really think they're in Miami's head, well at least Wade's.

Razor Shines
05-20-2012, 05:48 PM
I don't understand why Granger thinks he needs to stick his face into those situations. Let Wade whine about how Hibbert fouled him, no need to get in his face.

Wade isn't playing well, don't wake him up.

Stray
05-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Probably stupid by Granger but I think it says more about the series in general. The Pacers don't really fear the Heat like other young teams would in this situation. They're not afraid to stir the pot, and for good reason really. They look like the more complete team at the moment.

improbus
05-20-2012, 07:11 PM
That James kid is a pretty good basketball player. 40 pts. 18 rbs. 9 assts.

Assembly Hall
05-20-2012, 07:51 PM
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stray
05-20-2012, 08:17 PM
I still think the Pacers are in the series. The Heat need Wade and Lebron to both play heavy minutes and dominate the entire time, if not the rest of the team is terrible.

If it goes 7 it's a tossup.

Razor Shines
05-21-2012, 12:56 AM
I still think the Pacers are in the series. The Heat need Wade and Lebron to both play heavy minutes and dominate the entire time, if not the rest of the team is terrible.

If it goes 7 it's a tossup.

I think they're done. Just don't see the heat losing at home again.

I had a bad feeling going into that game. Wade and Lebron had two full days of listening to people talk about how much they sucked in the previous game. That's not gonna sit well with future hall of famers.

Razor Shines
05-21-2012, 02:15 AM
So the Spurs have a decent little squad, they might make something of themselves one day.

ervinsm84
05-21-2012, 02:48 AM

I could maybe buy it being a 2-2 series, but to think LA should be up 3-1 is kinda out there. Point differential is OKC 395 to 364 which is pretty convincing, and even when we remove the 29 point beat down OKC is still +2 points in the other 3 games. I could buy giving LA 2/3 close ones, but when a team's pt differential is -2 in a 3 game stretch, its pretty hard for me to think they should have won all 3 of those games.

What should be scary for LA, is I dont think OKC has even played well other than game 1, and Kobe has probably played as well as he has all year during this series (yea he's had some poor last 4-5 minutes of games, compounded with awful shot selection) but he's actually been pretty efficient for the bulk of this series. If Steve Blake doesn't catch fire in the Den series, I dont think LA even wins that series, and now that the Lakers are getting virtually no production from the PG spot again, they just arent good enough. Id be surprised if OKC doesn't close this out in 5, and probably relatively easily. They are 8 point favorites fwiw, and OKC was a pretty large favorite before the Series began too.

Stray
05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
I could maybe buy it being a 2-2 series, but to think LA should be up 3-1 is kinda out there. Point differential is OKC 395 to 364 which is pretty convincing, and even when we remove the 29 point beat down OKC is still +2 points in the other 3 games. I could buy giving LA 2/3 close ones, but when a team's pt differential is -2 in a 3 game stretch, its pretty hard for me to think they should have won all 3 of those games.

What should be scary for LA, is I dont think OKC has even played well other than game 1, and Kobe has probably played as well as he has all year during this series (yea he's had some poor last 4-5 minutes of games, compounded with awful shot selection) but he's actually been pretty efficient for the bulk of this series. If Steve Blake doesn't catch fire in the Den series, I dont think LA even wins that series, and now that the Lakers are getting virtually no production from the PG spot again, they just arent good enough. Id be surprised if OKC doesn't close this out in 5, and probably relatively easily. They are 8 point favorites fwiw, and OKC was a pretty large favorite before the Series began too.

Point differential is misleading in this series. LA had a 7 point lead with 2 minutes to go in game 2, two Kobe turnovers and some terrible possessions later they had blown the game. In game 4 they had a 13 point lead with 8 minutes to play, a lot of terrible possessions later they had also blown that game.

When the Lakers go to Bynum they're better than the Thunder, and it's not that close. When they give the ball to Kobe with 5 on the shot clock and let him throw up terrible fadeaways then it tips way in favor of the Thunder.

I do agree that OKC hasn't played well in the series, but they're also a 3 man team built on jump shots. LA's defense is plenty good enough for that. And I'd be shocked if San Antonio doesn't pick OKC apart in the WCF.

Scrap Irony
05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
So the Spurs have a decent little squad, they might make something of themselves one day.

Are the Spurs the favorites at this point?

I'd think so.

ervinsm84
05-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Point differential is misleading in this series. LA had a 7 point lead with 2 minutes to go in game 2, two Kobe turnovers and some terrible possessions later they had blown the game. In game 4 they had a 13 point lead with 8 minutes to play, a lot of terrible possessions later they had also blown that game.

When the Lakers go to Bynum they're better than the Thunder, and it's not that close. When they give the ball to Kobe with 5 on the shot clock and let him throw up terrible fadeaways then it tips way in favor of the Thunder.

I do agree that OKC hasn't played well in the series, but they're also a 3 man team built on jump shots. LA's defense is plenty good enough for that. And I'd be shocked if San Antonio doesn't pick OKC apart in the WCF.

It seems a bit like herry picking to stop counting score in those 2 games with two minutes to go in game two, but 8 minutes to go in game 4. The only thing those points in the game have in common is they are the moments they Lakers win probability was the highest and to make it look like the Lakers should've won, but then to not look at the score at different minute marks to go in the also coin flip game in game 3 that the Lakers actually did win is really convenient. That game easily could have been won by OKC as well if we go by score with 8 minutes, 5 minutes or 2-3 minutes to go.

Realistically, Games 2, 3, 4 all pretty much could've gone to either team.

fwiw,

Game 3
~8 minute mark tied
5 minute mark OKC up 5 with 6:40 to go
2:50 OKC up 5

If we try and estimate their win equity before the games are over in games 2,3,4 we'd prob end up with something like.

Game 2 .75 up 7 with 2 to go
Game 3 .35 Down 5 with 3 to go
Game 4 .9 up 13 with 8 to go

Which still gives them an expected value of 2.0 wins.

ervinsm84
05-22-2012, 01:09 AM
If the first 4 games weren't enough proof, tonight has to be pretty clear to just about any person that OKC is definitely the better team.

And as dumb as Bynum is, at least he ended up being right about one thing:

Closeout games are easy.

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/TROY-MURPHY.gif

Scrap Irony
05-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Oklahoma City is fun to watch.

I like Nick Collison.

Have Mykelti Williamson and Andrew Bynum ever been seen in the same place at the same time?

Stray
05-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Lakers blew it in game 2 and 4, the Thunder smelled blood tonight.

Should be an interesting WCF. I just really don't see anyone out-executing and outscoring the Spurs 4 times in 7 games. Gregg Popovich is the best coach in the NBA and you know he's going to take away things that the Thunder do well, Scott Brooks is gonna have to be up to countering him.

Oh and that flagrant on MWP was a joke. Talk about a reputation foul in a huge game.

ervinsm84
05-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Agree on the flagrant 1 foul. Never should've been a flagrant at all.

And I know Kobe had 42 on 33 shots, which is elite scoring and efficient, but how does he play 41 minutes and have the ball in his hands that much and have 0 assists. Such a weird stat.

I can't really see the Spurs closing out in OKC, so that leaves me with picking between Spurs in 5 or 7. I'd normally go with Spurs in 7, but Spurs in 5 is really tempting. Popp is just such a better coach than Brooks it's not even funny, and I really look forward to watching what he has drawn up for the Thunder. So my pick is Spurs in 5. ECF and NBA finals probably wont matter much bc OKC and Spurs are better than Mia w/o Bosh, Ind, or Boston

Off topic, but my coaching ranks go like this this

Popp>>Phil Jackson>Riley>>>SVG>>>>>>Doc>>>Carlisle>>Adelmen>>>>>>every other NBA coach>George Karl>>>Scott Brooks>>>Del Negro

Razor Shines
05-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Haslem should have been ejected, it's a joke that he wasn't.

WMR
05-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Haslem should have been ejected, it's a joke that he wasn't.

Pretty sure that qualifies under the Hansbrough Exception.

WMR
05-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Indiana is really great at soft fouls.

Razor Shines
05-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Who the hell have Wade and Lebron been pointing to this series? The Lord?

Razor Shines
05-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Indiana is really great at soft fouls.

On the Pacers offensive end those soft fouls are "playoff defense."

WMR
05-22-2012, 11:12 PM
On the Pacers offensive end those soft fouls are "playoff defense."

:lol:

WMR
05-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Doesn't Danny Granger know that if you try to punch Super-Man you end up with a broken hand?

WMR
05-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Will Haslim be suspended?

WMR
05-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Yeehaw did you see that foul?!?!?! WOW. That was a SHOT. WOW. Hockey clothesline.

What did Lance Stephenson say about LeBron?

Razor Shines
05-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Will Haslim be suspended?

Probably, but it won't matter this series is over. The Pacers should have won game 4 if they were gonna have a chance.

Stray
05-23-2012, 12:06 AM
I can't wait to see what the league does to the Heat here.

Haslem should be suspended for game 6.
Pittman should be gone for a long time, not that he even matters though.

The Heat went after two Pacers with intent to injure, no play on the ball whatsoever. That's not hard playoff basketball, that's just dirty play.

Scrap Irony
05-23-2012, 12:10 AM
I'd suspend Haslem for Game Six and Pittman for seven games.

That said, the Pacers (especially Granger) have played like thugs as well. Ihose getting-in-the-face-after-fouls Granger's pulling? Embarrassing. And a bit telling, IMO, as to playoff experience.

Scrap Irony
05-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Off-topic:

Fearless prediction: Lakers will be back with a vengeance next season.

- Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, Shannon Brown, and a number one pick for Dwight Howard, Glen Davis and Jason Richardson
- Free agent signee Steve Nash

Lakers get best center in the league to go with Kobe, plus they add the best two shooters at their respective positions in the NBA. They also get an undersized power forward that needs only play defense (which he's very good at) and take the spotlight off others (which he can). World Peace goes to the bench to add versatility to either the front court or shooting guard. Sessions becomes solid backup PG who learns the trade from Nash while playing 17 minutes per game.

ervinsm84
05-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Haslem 1 game suspension seems about right.

Pittman's foul is just out of this world and probably the dirtiest thing I've seen in the playoffs since Bynum's cheap shot on Barea last year. Pittman needs to be suspended 7-10 games for that bs

ervinsm84
05-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Off-topic:

- Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, Shannon Brown, and a number one pick for Dwight Howard, Glen Davis and Jason Richardson

I'll bet the farm that exact trade doesn't happen. Shannon Brown not on the lakers anymore ;)

Orenda
05-23-2012, 12:59 AM
I think if I was 6'8, I'd definitely be good enough to have Lebron drop 38 on me.

Orenda
05-23-2012, 01:07 AM
Off-topic:

- Free agent signee Steve Nash

Lakers get best center in the league to go with Kobe, plus they add the best two shooters at their respective positions in the NBA. They also get an undersized power forward that needs only play defense (which he's very good at) and take the spotlight off others (which he can). World Peace goes to the bench to add versatility to either the front court or shooting guard. Sessions becomes solid backup PG who learns the trade from Nash while playing 17 minutes per game.

Has Deron Williams ruled out LA? pundits seem to be pointing him towards NJ or DAL, but that would be interesting as well.

WMR
05-23-2012, 01:26 AM
Are they going to procure a new coaching staff as well? Mike Brown is laughably bad. It was amusing watching him over on the bench looking around for LeBron.

Orenda
05-23-2012, 02:02 AM
Are they going to procure a new coaching staff as well? Mike Brown is laughably bad. It was amusing watching him over on the bench looking around for LeBron.

they have my number, we'll see. "We're going to run the old pickett fence at em....don't get caught watching the paint dry?"

Orenda
05-23-2012, 02:16 AM
NBA: Where Amazing Happens - Cuckoo's Nest - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm3Cl1_6520&feature=related)

Razor Shines
05-23-2012, 02:17 AM
they have my number, we'll see. "We're going to run the old pickett fence at em....don't get caught watching the paint dry?"

All these years I didn't realize Ol' Shooter phrased that as a question. :D

Orenda
05-23-2012, 02:22 AM
All these years I didn't realize Ol' Shooter phrased that as a question. :D

:) his character was a little unsure of himself, so it's all the same really

WMR
05-23-2012, 02:23 AM
Going from the Zen Master to Mike Brown is like going from Kate Upton to Janet Reno.

Slyder
05-23-2012, 02:28 AM
I'd suspend Haslem for Game Six and Pittman for seven games.

That said, the Pacers (especially Granger) have played like thugs as well. Ihose getting-in-the-face-after-fouls Granger's pulling? Embarrassing. And a bit telling, IMO, as to playoff experience.

This whole series looks like a bunch of kids trying to get the biggest and baddest shot in. I can't wait for a real basketball team like OKC to crush them both. They may not even make it past Boston.

NJReds
05-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Yeehaw did you see that foul?!?!?! WOW. That was a SHOT. WOW. Hockey clothesline.

What did Lance Stephenson say about LeBron?

I didn't even know who Pittman was, but after reading this thread I found the foul. This was worse than the Bynam foul on Berea, IMO, because Stephenson was nowhere near the ball. Pittman just launched an elbow at the guys throat and it could have resulted in a serious injury.

Losing Pittman won't hurt the Heat, anyway, so I'd expect a hefty suspension.

Stray
05-23-2012, 11:26 AM
I didn't have any issues with Granger getting in Lebron's face. Lebron isn't blatantly dirty, but on those plays he was trying to sneak in a high elbow. Heck, in yesterday's game he got under Granger on a jump shot. Guys know what they're doing when they get in your landing area.

Getting a little chippy and hard fouls make for good playoff basketball, I have no issue with that. Making no attempt to play the ball and trying to hurt another player is totally different, and that's what Haslem and Pittman did. Pittman's being way worse obviously.

And like Chuck said, I cannot believe Stephenson never went down. That's crazy.

texasdave
05-23-2012, 11:45 AM

Born Ready was also Born Steady.

bucksfan2
05-23-2012, 12:17 PM
I turned on the game for a couple of minutes and can honestly say my rec refs would do a better job. I know stars get star treatment, but I didn't know they get an extra step out of bounds? The flagarant fouls were an embarassment. At this point the NBA is on the same scale with the WWE as far as being believable.

NJReds
05-23-2012, 12:57 PM

Stephenson may have a broken collarbone.

Wade would've needed a wheelchair to cart him off. Bosh and LeBron would've flopped into the stands.

http://instntrply.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/boshflop.gif

Slyder
05-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Bigger bunch of babies TLR's Cards teams or Lebron and Wade's Heat teams?

Orenda
05-23-2012, 04:48 PM

Wade would've needed a wheelchair to cart him off. Bosh and LeBron would've flopped into the stands.

purely speculation, what's not speculation is that Lance Stephenson would be dominated by wade or lebron in the game of basketball

Orenda
05-23-2012, 04:54 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/stephla01.html

13% (4 for 30) from distance and 47% from the free throw line... Get em next year Lance

Slyder
05-23-2012, 05:03 PM

This is what would get me run out of basketball. I'm the official standing right there I'm teeing up Bosh for stupidity.

Stray
05-23-2012, 05:09 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/stephla01.html

13% (4 for 30) from distance and 47% from the free throw line... Get em next year Lance

What does that have to do with him taking a vicious cheap shot? He made a stupid gesture earlier in the series, then he apologized for it. Juwan Howard went after him in a hallway, then went after him during a shoot around. After all of that they still send a guy in who out weighs him by 70 pounds or so to blindside him with an elbow to his neck.

It's about as dirty as dirty can get.

Stray
05-23-2012, 05:10 PM
This is what would get me run out of basketball. I'm the official standing right there I'm teeing up Bosh for stupidity.

Stern said he's wanted to get flopping out of the game for a while. I wish they'd get somewhere with that. I can't stand watching guys like Blake Griffin flop all around the floor lol.

Orenda
05-23-2012, 05:13 PM
4 for 30? I think Wade would go at least go 7 for 30 on those ridiculous step back off balance fade-away 3's he throws up there from time to time. In terms of degree of difficulty, those shots are way up there. 4-30?? I thought the Pacers were well coached. If you're 4-30, get in a passing lane or rebound please and get your good hustle stats up.

Orenda
05-23-2012, 05:22 PM
What does that have to do with him taking a vicious cheap shot? He made a stupid gesture earlier in the series, then he apologized for it. Juwan Howard went after him in a hallway, then went after him during a shoot around. After all of that they still send a guy in who out weighs him by 70 pounds or so to blindside him with an elbow to his neck.

It's about as dirty as dirty can get.

I don't disagree, I'm just talking about basketball to get the focus back on what it is there playing. Pittman's play should get him suspended...it will be interesting to see what happens with t. hansborough and Haslem, the league might want to send a message before Van Gundy is latched to somebody's leg.

Scrap Irony
05-23-2012, 05:45 PM
I hate the flopping too.

Why not evaluate each game after the fact and hit floppers with a yellow card for unsportsmanlike behavior. After their third yellow, they sit a game and are fined the amount of one game's pay. They get hit with three more, it's two games suspension and two-game pay fine.

Of course, having said that, no Duke player could ever play in the NBA again. ;)

I'd also argue that the circle around the hoop needs to be extended another five feet to open up the lane even further. Then again, I want games in the 120s again.

Orenda
05-23-2012, 07:04 PM
I'd also argue that the circle around the hoop needs to be extended another five feet to open up the lane even further. Then again, I want games in the 120s again.

I don't mind the circle, but defensive 3 seconds is a little blasphemous to me. Back to Indy-Miami, if I'm the coach of Banker's Life blue and yellow, I'm going to try to turn the game into a half-court contest against Banker's life red and black and have them try to beat me from the outside. Not saying they aren't capable, but I'd take my chances with the lesser of two.

improbus
05-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Cheap shots and physical play have always been a part of the NBA.
Check out this Larry Bird hit that Ronnie Lott would have been proud of.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M-vuTUEgNLM

dabvu2498
05-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Cheap shots and physical play have always been a part of the NBA.
Check out this Larry Bird hit that Ronnie Lott would have been proud of.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M-vuTUEgNLM

Common foul!!! Awesome.

Best part is that Bernie just got up and played on. Wonderful.

improbus
05-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Common foul!!! Awesome.

Best part is that Bernie just got up and played on. Wonderful.

What is amazing is that those fouls happened pretty consistently. The McHale clothesline on Rambis. The fight between Dr. J and Bird. Anything Laimbeer did. The NBA has always been a tough league and I like it that way. Call the fouls but let the players deal with it. Maybe we can actually create some rivalries.

Stray
05-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Not sure if OKC should feel good or be worried about game 1. On one hand the Spurs played terrible and still came back from a late game 10 point deficit to win. On the other, OKC's big 3 didn't really play well and they still had a chance to win in San Antonio.

The 4th quarter was an clinic by the Spurs...coaching, execution, matchups...everything. The Thunder couldn't figure it out.

Oh and for the ECF, I'd love it if it were a competitive series, but I don't think it will be. Heat in 5 or 6 unless the Celtics can magically get healthy.

improbus
05-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Not sure if OKC should feel good or be worried about game 1. On one hand the Spurs played terrible and still came back from a late game 10 point deficit to win. On the other, OKC's big 3 didn't really play well and they still had a chance to win in San Antonio.

The 4th quarter was an clinic by the Spurs...coaching, execution, matchups...everything. The Thunder couldn't figure it out.

Oh and for the ECF, I'd love it if it were a competitive series, but I don't think it will be. Heat in 5 or 6 unless the Celtics can magically get healthy.
Agree 100%.

NJReds
05-28-2012, 10:30 PM
The Heat don't need help from the officials, but they're getting it anyway tonight. Sometimes the NBA is a joke.

Razor Shines
05-29-2012, 12:02 AM
The Heat better roll the Celtics so they can have time off to get Wade and Bosh 100% healthy to take on the Thunder or Spurs. As a Pacer fan I feel they owe that to me.

Razor Shines
05-29-2012, 11:40 PM
The Spurs are ridiculous. I don't know what else to say. These two games have been so much fun to watch.

Stray
05-29-2012, 11:46 PM
OKC still has a run or two in them, but yeah...wow. The Spurs run offense unlike anything I've ever seen. Awesome to watch.

WMR
05-30-2012, 12:32 AM
OKC looks very, very immature versus the Spurs.

WMR
05-30-2012, 12:40 AM
It's amazing how Duncan has turned the Spurs into an entire team of whiners.

Stray
05-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Manu hits big shots.

improbus
05-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Conspiracy Theory time. NBA owns Hornets. NBA tries to sell Hornets. NBA runs Draft Lottery. Hornets win Draft Lottery and get franchise center. NBA sells Hornets.

BTW, Bigfoot is real....

redsfanmia
05-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Conspiracy Theory time. NBA owns Hornets. NBA tries to sell Hornets. NBA runs Draft Lottery. Hornets win Draft Lottery and get franchise center. NBA sells Hornets.

BTW, Bigfoot is real....

Would not be the first time the Lottery was fixed, see Knicks dog earred/frozed card in the first lottery and the Magic when they drafted Penny Hardaway a year after they got Shaq.

Revering4Blue
05-30-2012, 11:16 PM
NBA sells Hornets.

The NBA already sold the team to Tom Benson, the Saints Owner.

No conspiracy there.

That stated, the 1985 and 1993 Draft Lotteries seemed fishy at the time, as Redsfanmia noted.

Stray
05-31-2012, 01:15 AM
Boston had to win tonight's game. Stick a fork in em.

sonny
05-31-2012, 08:31 AM

Yes, it appears the Celtics...

(puts on glasses)

(⌐■_■)

...can't take the Heat.

YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

mdccclxix
05-31-2012, 08:55 AM
The NBA desperately needs a new commissioner to straighten out the league rules. This NBA lottery is such a SHAM. I hate it x100000. I don't even like the NBA that much, but I really have an aversion to dashing the hopes of real fans based on a hokey carnival game. It's utterly repulsive, but I also blame the fans for putting up with it. In no other league could a team that set the all time low for winning % NOT get the best opportunity to improve. I just can't stand the NBA lottery. Horrible. Contrived. Arrogant. Cruel. Unnecessary.

texasdave
05-31-2012, 10:48 AM

No conspiracy there.

That stated, the 1985 and 1993 Draft Lotteries seemed fishy at the time, as Redsfanmia noted.

The NBA has nobody to blame but themselves. You fix the very first lottery and people are going to be suspicious from then on out.
Fun Fact: In 28 lotteries the team with the worst record has gotten the pick exactly 4 times. One of those times just happened to be when Cleveland got to pick LeBron. You can throw the 2008 lottery in there as well when the Bulls had a less than a two percent chance and got "lucky" enough to snag Derrick Rose. Hmm.
The NBA lottery is a joke.

ervinsm84
05-31-2012, 11:27 AM
You guys really think the lottery was fixed this year? And the Ewing year? Which you can watch here and laugh at those talking about the envelope with the bent corner or that the envelope was colder or what not.

The fixed 1985 NBA lottery - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX1kMlG8c7Y)

If you thinking tanking was bad this year, does anyone remember what Houston did in 84?

We'd be hearing the same conspiracy BS this year if any of these teams won it:
Sac: New Stadium
Charlotte: Throw MJ a bone
Clev: Make up for Lebron
Wash: Big market
Brooklyn: New location
Portland: Make up for Roy and Oden injuries

If people really knew it was rigged and that it was so obvious it would go to New Orleans before hand, you guys do realize you could have made a ton of $ by betting on New Orleans to win the lottery.

The lottery is not rigged, nor has it ever been.

Unassisted
05-31-2012, 05:25 PM
OKC still has a run or two in them, but yeah...wow. The Spurs run offense unlike anything I've ever seen. Awesome to watch.Even more fun to watch in person. I was in attendance for Game 2, seated about 8 rows higher than the TNT camera in the corner, behind one of the baskets. It was a great vantage point to watch the Spurs' offense. :thumbup:

Revering4Blue
05-31-2012, 06:04 PM
If you thinking tanking was bad this year, does anyone remember what Houston did in 84?

There was no lottery in '84...just a coin flip. Ironically, that's why the NBA instituted the Lottery in '85.

texasdave
06-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Orlando Woolridge, the rugged forward who carved out a reputation over 13 NBA seasons as a scoring specialist and one of the original alley-oop artists, died late Thursday at his parents' home in Mansfield, La. He was 52.DeSoto Parish Chief Deputy Coroner Billy Locke said Woolridge died while under hospice care for a chronic heart condition.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/06/01/orlando.woolridge.dead.ap/index.html#ixzz1waHWNWUB

Assembly Hall
06-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Good bye Orlando......RIP. It was something going to Notre Dame games back in the day.

improbus
06-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Watching the Western conference finals is joy,happiness, and satisfaction. Watching the eastern conference finals is frustration, sour faces, and fouls. Yuck.

DGullett35
06-04-2012, 07:36 AM
I would love to see the Spurs make it to the finals. They have the best shot and I think they will be the Heat. The Thunder are still a year away IMO from being a championship team. Im probably wrong however and the Thunder will take game 5 in SA. Ive always liked Tim Duncan ever since he played at Wake Forest, and I want him to get another ring. I was listening to the Dan Patrick show and one of there poll questions last week was who is the better player of the last decade, Kobe or Duncan? It was a very interesting question when you looked at all the facts. Duncan has had an amazing career. Hes just a shy quiet guy like Votto.

RBA
06-05-2012, 12:43 AM
OKC taking it to the Spurs. I think the West team will win the Finals this year regardless.

WMR
06-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Tonight really reinforced for me why I hate the Spurs.

Flopping, bad acting, faking injuries, whining, bug-eyes on fouls... the Spurs play basketball like they're a European soccer club.

NJReds
06-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Flopping, bad acting, faking injuries, whining, bug-eyes on fouls... the Spurs play basketball like they're a European soccer club.

For a second, I thought you were talking about Miami.

Roy Tucker
06-05-2012, 08:50 PM
The Thunder is so much fun to watch.

Thunder-Heat woud be a gas. Spurs-Celtics is ugh.

Razor Shines
06-05-2012, 09:17 PM
The Thunder is so much fun to watch.

Thunder-Heat woud be a gas. Spurs-Celtics is ugh.

I think either team from the West vs the Heat will be fun to watch.

The Spurs offense isn't really like the Celtics' at all.

TeamSelig
06-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Spurs/Celtics will be a ZZZZZZZZZfest

improbus
06-05-2012, 10:48 PM
I think either team from the West vs the Heat will be fun to watch.

The Spurs offense isn't really like the Celtics' at all.

Not that this matters much in the grand scheme, but there would be very few players who could actually dunk in the Spurs/Celtics series.

WMR
06-05-2012, 11:02 PM
If it's Spurs vs. Celtics they should play the games in wheelchairs.

Would definitely improve ratings.

ervinsm84
06-05-2012, 11:45 PM
As an nba fan w/o a favorite team,

OKC/Heat and Spurs/heat would both be fun to watch.

Celtics vs either would be awful to watch.

Slyder
06-05-2012, 11:59 PM
As an nba fan w/o a favorite team,

OKC/Heat and Spurs/heat would both be fun to watch.

Celtics vs either would be awful to watch.

I would personally rather see Celtics vs either. But thats the former NBA fan that hasn't had much reason to watch since Jordan and Company retired.

The Heat are a 3 player team, not saying the Celtics are much more but the pompous attitude of Miami when they signed LeBron really made me look at the whole nba differently. The attitude of the "arrival" and the "not 1, not 2..." really put me in a position that just laughs when the circus fails because there is absolutely ZERO depth on that team and it just flops when it faces a complete team (like vs Dallas last year).

Stray
06-06-2012, 12:23 AM

This guy obviously has no idea what he's talking about.

WMR
06-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Does anyone think Miami goes into Boston and guts out a win in a hostile environment?

Miami had defensive lapses all over the court tonight. Somewhat disinterested at times in the first half. Not a good sign and it ended up costing them.

ervinsm84
06-06-2012, 12:35 AM
I would personally rather see Celtics vs either. But thats the former NBA fan that hasn't had much reason to watch since Jordan and Company retired.

The Heat are a 3 player team, not saying the Celtics are much more but the pompous attitude of Miami when they signed LeBron really made me look at the whole nba differently. The attitude of the "arrival" and the "not 1, not 2..." really put me in a position that just laughs when the circus fails because there is absolutely ZERO depth on that team and it just flops when it faces a complete team (like vs Dallas last year).

sounds more like you dislike the heat (for plenty of valid reasons).

I'm talking about pure style of play and talent on the floor, and wanting to see the best players vs the best players. I'd rather see a lebron/KD and Wade/harden....or watch Popp run circles around Spo, Manu v Wade and so forth. The Celtics are just really hard to watch as a neutral fan from an entertainment standpoint. Every series they've been in as has been somewhere between hard to watch and completely unwatchable to this point.

Stray
06-06-2012, 12:43 AM
This was hilarious :laugh:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/6/5/3067113/miami-heat-fan-celtics-nba-playoffs-2012

Orenda
06-06-2012, 12:51 AM
count the rings around and doubt if u want, but this years celtics are still some sturdy old oaks...

tough to predict this coming

bucksfan2
06-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Does anyone think Miami goes into Boston and guts out a win in a hostile environment?

Miami had defensive lapses all over the court tonight. Somewhat disinterested at times in the first half. Not a good sign and it ended up costing them.

I don't think the Heat are mentally tough enough to do so.

Slyder
06-06-2012, 01:07 PM
sounds more like you dislike the heat (for plenty of valid reasons).

I'm talking about pure style of play and talent on the floor, and wanting to see the best players vs the best players. I'd rather see a lebron/KD and Wade/harden....or watch Popp run circles around Spo, Manu v Wade and so forth. The Celtics are just really hard to watch as a neutral fan from an entertainment standpoint. Every series they've been in as has been somewhere between hard to watch and completely unwatchable to this point.

I also believe it would be more of a passing of the torch for like when MJ's Bulls beat Magic's Lakers in 1991 for their first of many championships. I don't think as constituted the Heat will ever be able to build a team around their big 3 to really compete as a team. The Thunder is going to be around for a LONG time to come.

Razor Shines
06-06-2012, 01:14 PM
I also believe it would be more of a passing of the torch for like when MJ's Bulls beat Magic's Lakers in 1991 for their first of many championships. I don't think as constituted the Heat will ever be able to build a team around their big 3 to really compete as a team. The Thunder is going to be around for a LONG time to come.

What do you mean "compete"? They went to the finals their first year together and have a reasonable shot at going back this year. Do they have to win a championship every year to compete?

Razor Shines
06-06-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't think the Heat are mentally tough enough to do so.

Ridiculous. If Bosh plays 30+ minutes I think they win pretty handily.

bucksfan2
06-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Ridiculous. If Bosh plays 30+ minutes I think they win pretty handily.

LeBron has wilted in the past under this type of pressure.

There is a reason Bosh wasn't on the court yesterday. He isn't quite ready to play and the Celtics took advantage of him when he was on the court.

KoryMac5
06-06-2012, 01:32 PM
We can talk about mental toughness all we want and I am sure in looking at last yrs loss to Dallas and this series in Boston there is evidence to support that. However it ain't about all that, the Heat's problems lay on one person and that my friends is the head coach.

Slyder
06-06-2012, 01:58 PM
What do you mean "compete"? They went to the finals their first year together and have a reasonable shot at going back this year. Do they have to win a championship every year to compete?

The Heat get headlines because of LeBron and Wade, but beyond them and Bosh they have NOTHING. There will always be teams that will give them fits as those teams rely on 5-6 guys to contribute to win meanwhile the Heat has to rely on the big 3 scoring 25+ average a game in order to win in the playoffs. If they're missing any one of the big 3 they're toast when you get late round playoff basketball (as evidenced by this series with Boston and the series with Dallas last year). Sure they can still beat a number of teams with just two of the three but by this point in the playoffs you need to have all 3 as you are playing the best the NBA has to offer.

They are a poorly constructed trio. You have a 4 playing a 5, and two guys who's talents are ball handlers that I think its always been a bit of a bad fit. Put a decent true 5 on this team for LeBron or Wade and I would argue they would have a better chance of getting past Boston. But KG is acting like he's 26 rather than closer to 40 and just DESTROYING the Heat due to a lack of depth.

Scrap Irony
06-06-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm surprised at how few veteran players have stepped into that spot as team leader/ designated shooter/ rebounder role.

Were I Pat Riley, I'd sell them on the opportunity to win ring(s), be looked at as the reason why the Heat won it all, and as a boost HOF/ career-ending credentials. Tell the oldest they need not play many minutes during the season, but focus instead on May and June.

This season, I'd target:

Ray Allen
Put LeBron at PG half the time, let Allen guard the lesser of the two guards, and shoot from long distance.

Antawn Jamison
Again, move James to the point half the time and have Jamison bomb away. Nice rebounder too, especially in space.

Jason Kidd
Put the ball in Kidd's hands. Post James, Wade, and Bosh on the low block as the primary offense, with pick and rolls as a close second. Kidd can hit the perimeter shot as well.

Andre Miller
Smart passer who doesn't make mistakes. Capable defender. Can shoot the long ball, but best mid-range. Give him the ball, post up your mismatches.

Marcus Camby
Different type of move here. Grab a shooter late in the first round (Jenkins from Vandy, Miller from UK, Taylor from Vandy), but play Camby as rebounder, garbage man, inside presence. Mix and match with Haslem for best effect.

Derek Fisher
I've thought he was used up for almost a decade. Obviously, OKC disagrees. Perhaps he has one more year in him?

Nazr Mohammed
A 7-footer with a mid-range shot and a decent defensive presence that's not too proud to do just that and find garbage points to help his team win. Blocked behind a couple really good centers in OKC.

Jameer Nelson
The Heat could definitely use him, and he may want to show Howard why he deserves more credit. A dead-eye shooter who doesn't need to ball in his hands too much. Never underestimate revenge as a motivating factor.

Elton Brand
Play him at center. Don't ever run a play for him. He'll still get 10 points on his own. Used to be a good rebounder. Got the huge contract and quit trying. Perhaps he'll get after it once more?

Michael Redd
At one point, the best shooter in the game. Shooting doesn't go away, though he's a couple steps slow.

Grant Hill
Put the NBA's best citizen on its most egotistical team. See which one blows up first. Sounds like a natural for a reality show. Also could give the Heat their title, assuming Hill can play on the wing and knock down shots.

Slyder
06-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Why turn down more money and be noticed for playing in the background band for LeBron and Wade? I don't pretend to say I know how the cap works but they don't have the room to really offer anyone of merit anything. I doubt that there are too many willing to take that kind of paycut just to play in Miami and be backup singers.

improbus
06-06-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm surprised at how few veteran players have stepped into that spot as team leader/ designated shooter/ rebounder role.

Were I Pat Riley, I'd sell them on the opportunity to win ring(s), be looked at as the reason why the Heat won it all, and as a boost HOF/ career-ending credentials. Tell the oldest they need not play many minutes during the season, but focus instead on May and June.

This season, I'd target:

Ray Allen
Put LeBron at PG half the time, let Allen guard the lesser of the two guards, and shoot from long distance.

Antawn Jamison
Again, move James to the point half the time and have Jamison bomb away. Nice rebounder too, especially in space.

Jason Kidd
Put the ball in Kidd's hands. Post James, Wade, and Bosh on the low block as the primary offense, with pick and rolls as a close second. Kidd can hit the perimeter shot as well.

Andre Miller
Smart passer who doesn't make mistakes. Capable defender. Can shoot the long ball, but best mid-range. Give him the ball, post up your mismatches.

Marcus Camby
Different type of move here. Grab a shooter late in the first round (Jenkins from Vandy, Miller from UK, Taylor from Vandy), but play Camby as rebounder, garbage man, inside presence. Mix and match with Haslem for best effect.

Derek Fisher
I've thought he was used up for almost a decade. Obviously, OKC disagrees. Perhaps he has one more year in him?

Nazr Mohammed
A 7-footer with a mid-range shot and a decent defensive presence that's not too proud to do just that and find garbage points to help his team win. Blocked behind a couple really good centers in OKC.

Jameer Nelson
The Heat could definitely use him, and he may want to show Howard why he deserves more credit. A dead-eye shooter who doesn't need to ball in his hands too much. Never underestimate revenge as a motivating factor.

Elton Brand
Play him at center. Don't ever run a play for him. He'll still get 10 points on his own. Used to be a good rebounder. Got the huge contract and quit trying. Perhaps he'll get after it once more?

Michael Redd
At one point, the best shooter in the game. Shooting doesn't go away, though he's a couple steps slow.

Grant Hill
Put the NBA's best citizen on its most egotistical team. See which one blows up first. Sounds like a natural for a reality show. Also could give the Heat their title, assuming Hill can play on the wing and knock down shots.
The only guys on that list I would even consider are Ray, Redd, and Jamison. Miller needs the ball too much, Kidd is beyond done, Brand can't jump, Hill is redundant with Battier, Fish can't guard anyone, Jameer is a headcase, and Marcus = Joel/Turiaf at this point.

Also, there are even some caveats with Jamison/Ray/Redd:
Jamison: He does similar things to Bosh (but less efficient with more range)
Redd: Can he stay on the court?
Ray: Same as Redd

Some Unrestricted guys I like for Miami:
Nick Young/J.R. Smith - They need a bench scorer who can get 20 sometimes
Courtney Lee - Nice player
Carlos Delfino - Younger Mike Miller type
Ersan Ilyasova - Very good player, shooting range and huge motor
Spencer Hawes (will probably get paid, so he will be out of their price range)

Razor Shines
06-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Nice article on Lebron by Reilly.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8011587/lebron-being-lebron

improbus
06-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Nice article on Lebron by Reilly.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8011587/lebron-being-lebron

I usually don't like Reilly much, but this was pretty good. But, he may have written it about 11 months too late.

Razor Shines
06-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Darkwing Duck is on fire tonight.

15fan
06-06-2012, 11:13 PM
San Antonio put on a clinic during the first half tonight.

I believe Pop always had at least 2 of Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Jackson on the floor at all times in the first half. Keeping at least 2 of those guys on the court kept the offense from bogging down while others were getting breathers.

texasdave
06-07-2012, 12:07 AM
OKC now leads by three with about 8 minutes to go in the 4th quarter.

15fan
06-07-2012, 12:35 AM
And clearly the Spurs logged too many minutes in the first half to have anything in the tank down the stretch.

Roy Tucker
06-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Great win by the Thunder. Spurs played well, but the OKC crowd and Thunder youth and athleticism overwhelmed a great Spurs team.

texasdave
06-07-2012, 07:56 AM
What a difference a week makes. Spurs and Heat were both up 2-0.

Chip R
06-07-2012, 10:41 AM
count the rings around and doubt if u want, but this years celtics are still some sturdy old oaks...

tough to predict this coming

It tickles me that the pundits have pretty much been wrong all throughout the playoffs. Even when Rose and Noah went down for the Bulls, they still picked them to beat the Sixers. After the Spurs swept their first two rounds (to be fair, the pundits picked the Spurs to sweep the Clippers) they thought they were a lock to beat OKC especially after the 1st 2 games. Then no one picked the Celtics to beat the Heat. Now everyone is jumping on the Celtics bandwagon. As a Celtics fan, that worries me.

improbus
06-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Great win by the Thunder. Spurs played well, but the OKC crowd and Thunder youth and athleticism overwhelmed a great Spurs team.
The Spurs were not the same defensive team that won all those titles. They didn't have quick enough bigs to cover the Thunders Pick and Roll. Really, if you look at the series, if the Spurs don't shoot lights out from 3, they lose very easily.

Razor Shines
06-07-2012, 04:28 PM
LeBron has wilted in the past under this type of pressure.

There is a reason Bosh wasn't on the court yesterday. He isn't quite ready to play and the Celtics took advantage of him when he was on the court.

I don't know. He scored 9 pts in 14 mins and grabbed 6 offensive rebounds. They may have taken advantage of him a little on D but not too much. Spo made the ridiculous statement after the game that he didn't think it would be fair to Bosh to have him in at the end of the game. Bosh said he had no idea why he wasn't in. I bet Bosh plays a lot tonight and has a pretty big game.

improbus
06-07-2012, 05:20 PM
I don't know. He scored 9 pts in 14 mins and grabbed 6 offensive rebounds. They may have taken advantage of him a little on D but not too much. Spo made the ridiculous statement after the game that he didn't think it would be fair to Bosh to have him in at the end of the game. Bosh said he had no idea why he wasn't in. I bet Bosh plays a lot tonight and has a pretty big game.

LeBron hasn't been the greatest player on the floor at the end of games, and that leads to his criticism because he is the best player on the floor for the previous 47 minutes.

But, his team hasn't given him any help. When was the last time he made a pass to another player and they made the buzzer beater (like Paxson and Kerr did). Dnyell Marshall missed one, Haslem has missed them, so have Chalmers and Battier. How does Jordan's legacy change if his teammates miss those shots?

Finally, think about what the opposing defense is trying to do at the end of the game. The only way Miami is going to hurt you is by LeBron or Wade getting to the rim. The other teams don't worry about Miller, Chalmers, Battier, or Haslem spotting up, because they probably will miss. So, the defense packs it in and dares Miami to drive and kick. In Game 4, LeBron drove at the end but had 4 guys come at him. No one can score through 4 guys at 10 feet, not even Michael. So, he passes and Udonis (predictably) misses. I would like to see the ball in Chalmers hands at the end and see if LeBron or Wade could work some kind of action off the ball to free themselves up against a moving defense.

improbus
06-07-2012, 05:25 PM
I also think that it is criminal just how little Kevin Garnett is being talked about. He has been closer to MVP level Garnett than anytime since maybe 2008. Now, it helps playing against Joel Anthony, Haslem, and Turiaf, but he has had as much of an impact on these games as LeBron, and sometimes more. In game 5, Rondo, Pierce, and Allen shot horribly, and yet Boston won on the road. Why? Kg went for 26 and 10, had a huge block against LeBron at the rim, and was all over the court. I don't always like his antics, but he is putting himself into the top 2 or 3 PF of all time conversation (if he wasn't already there).

ervinsm84
06-08-2012, 12:16 AM
well, that james guy is kinda good at basketball

Mutaman
06-08-2012, 01:10 AM

I knew if I waited long enough he'd finally show up when it counted.

improbus
06-08-2012, 01:16 AM
I loved every second of that game. Did anyone else see Doris Burke have a Jim Gray moment at the end?

Scrap Irony
06-08-2012, 05:01 PM
I knew if I waited long enough he'd finally show up when it counted.

He's shown up before, but America loves a meme to blindly embrace.

And a villain to hate.

From Rick Reilly's excellent article (http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8011587/lebron-being-lebron) on ESPN:

And just so you know: In playoff games, LeBron has taken 13 final shots in tight games in regulation and hit five of them to win or tie. Kobe has taken twice that and hit only seven.

Roy Tucker
06-08-2012, 08:22 PM

Yep. Dare I say, he was Jordan-esque. "Climb on my back, boys. I'm taking you there". Lebron finally found "The Look".

So what's happened to Dwyane Wade? His scoring is down. Is he just contributing in other ways? He seems ordinary.

improbus
06-08-2012, 08:59 PM
So what's happened to Dwyane Wade? His scoring is down. Is he just contributing in other ways? He seems ordinary.

Well, consider that he had his knee drained during the Indiana series, I would say he is not doing very well. Really, he just needs to stop taking any shots outside of 10 feet. His jumper was the only thing keeping last nights game from being a 30 point blowout.

Revering4Blue
06-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Yep. Dare I say, he was Jordan-esque. "Climb on my back, boys. I'm taking you there". Lebron finally found "The Look".

Sure, go ahead.

"Jordan-esque" performances by Superstars existed before Jordan, during Jordan's tenure--by other NBA Superstars--and, as witnessed last night, occur after Jordan's era. They'll continue to occur long after Lebron's era, for that matter.

Revering4Blue
06-08-2012, 10:14 PM
LeBron James, in Game 6, gave us everything we’ve ever asked for.

James' greatest achievement may have been reminding us of why we love watching and playing this game so damn much.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-james-game-6-gave-us-everything-ve-165023022--nba.html;_ylt=An459DUNWh93c8bnXIjHsYq8vLYF

improbus
06-10-2012, 12:15 AM
This is going to be an awesome finals, especially if Chris Bosh plays the way he did today.

Slyder
06-10-2012, 12:21 AM
As long as Westbrook isn't jacking up 200 shots Thunder wins.

I predict Thunder in 6.

ervinsm84
06-10-2012, 12:25 AM
Can't wait to watch lebron vs durant for a whole series.

Gonna be some really interesting matchups, and Westbrook should have a big edge as long as harden's on the floor (I assume Lebron will always be on Durant and Wade will guard harden) but whichever guy Wade isn't on when those 3 are on the floor should be able to score at will.

improbus
06-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Keys to me:
Miami:
1) Miami's 3 point shooters need to make at least 40%. When Battier/Chalmers/Jones/Miller make 3's, Miami's offense is almost unstoppable.
2) Wade needs to stop shooting jump shots. He is shooting around 27% on 3's and 31% on his mid range jumpers.
3) Bosh has to play well. He needs to pull Ibaka/Perkins away from the rim.
4) Miami must improve their transition defense. They gave up way too many easy baskets to Boston. OKC is way more explosive on the break.

OKC:
1) Westbrook needs to be efficient. That doesn't mean he shouldn't shoot, but he needs to gauge what is going in and what isn't and play accordingly.
2) They need to punish Miami's lack of size. Perkins/Ibaka/Collison can score on Haslem/Anthony/Bosh.
3) Durant has to fight to get the ball in good spots. He can be pushed around by his defender off the ball and kept from getting the ball.

improbus
06-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Sme other questions:
1) How will OKC use Perkins? His role is to stop opposing bigs around the rim. No one on Miami fits that profile. He doesn't give you much offense either, so Im not sure what his purpose will be,
2) What Wade will show up? Will Miami get an efficient and aggressive Wade or a (failing) jump shooter who has horrific first halves. (BTW, I've thought about the best comp to Wade in any sports, and it is Barry Sanders. No one else in the game moves like him, but for every 6 yard game, there is a 2 yard loss coming.)
3) Will Joel Anthony make an appearance? Haslem has been playing massive minutes, but the reason he plays over Anthony (his mid range jumper) has completely abandoned him. So, will Spo put in the more able and mobile defender in Anthony to cover Ibaka?
4) Can Fisher make enough shots to warrant his spot on the floor. Brooks seems intent on playing him, will Fisher reward him?

improbus
06-12-2012, 09:55 PM
It's go time!

Razor Shines
06-12-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm excited for this. I honestly don't care who wins, I really hope it goes 6 or 7 games.

5TimeWSChamps
06-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Thunder are putting them away

Stray
06-13-2012, 12:23 AM
This is a good game. Durant is unreal

Razor Shines
06-13-2012, 12:28 AM
This is a good game. Durant is unreal

He is unfortunately that will probably be drowned out by all the Lebron sucks talk.

Stray
06-13-2012, 03:47 PM
So David Stern went on Jim Rome's show today. Since the lottery everyone has been talking about how it was fixed, and since Rome had him on he decided to give him a chance to shoot that rumor down. Instead Stern got defensive and asked Rome if he still beat his wife, then went on to insult his entire career.

Regardless of where you come out on Rome, that's laughable behavior from a man in David Stern's position. And the defensive reaction just makes the fixing seem more real. Funny stuff tho.

http://deadspin.com/5918141/david-stern-asked-jim-rome-have-you-stopped-beating-your-wife-yet-as-tod%20ays-interview-turned-ugly

nmculbreth
06-14-2012, 01:35 AM
So David Stern went on Jim Rome's show today. Since the lottery everyone has been talking about how it was fixed, and since Rome had him on he decided to give him a chance to shoot that rumor down. Instead Stern got defensive and asked Rome if he still beat his wife, then went on to insult his entire career.

Regardless of where you come out on Rome, that's laughable behavior from a man in David Stern's position. And the defensive reaction just makes the fixing seem more real. Funny stuff tho.

http://deadspin.com/5918141/david-stern-asked-jim-rome-have-you-stopped-beating-your-wife-yet-as-tod%20ays-interview-turned-ugly

Stern came out of the interview looking like a petulant old man, but this is much ado about nothing... The question have you stopped beating your wife is a widely cited example of a loaded question, Stern was implying that the question was loaded, not that Rome is a wife beater.

And let's be honest, it's not as though there isn't a tinge of truth in what Stern is saying. Jim Rome has made a career out of pushing the envelope and will never be confused with Walter Cronkite. After all we're talking about a guy who is best known for calling a guy Chris Evert and having said guy flip a table over and go after him, if that isn't a cheap thrill I don't know what is.

Stray
06-14-2012, 02:11 AM
Stern came out of the interview looking like a petulant old man, but this is much ado about nothing... The question have you stopped beating your wife is a widely cited example of a loaded question, Stern was implying that the question was loaded, not that Rome is a wife beater.

And let's be honest, it's not as though there isn't a tinge of truth in what Stern is saying. Jim Rome has made a career out of pushing the envelope and will never be confused with Walter Cronkite. After all we're talking about a guy who is best known for calling a guy Chris Evert and having said guy flip a table over and go after him, if that isn't a cheap thrill I don't know what is.

I know what Stern meant by it, but Rome didn't ask him a loaded question. Really Stern should be used to it, he's been asked that question a few times since the draft. All he had to say was 'No' and the interview moves on. To go ahead and insult Rome's entire career was out of line...everything else was Stern acting like a 10 year old kid. Accusing him of pouting or whatever.

I don't think Rome has made a career of pushing people's buttons, and I really don't think he's best known for his run in with Chris Everett. He's had about as successful of a sports radio run as you could ever have. Sure there's some comedy to his show, but when there's a big interview to be had he's one of the guys that gets them.

It's definitely not a question one of the ESPN Radio drones would ask, but lets be real, as soon as NO won the lottery what was the public's reaction? And Stern has no one to blame but himself for all of these conspiracies.

Scrap Irony
06-14-2012, 03:01 AM
Stern overreacted in the extreme.

He came off as both petulant and arrogant.

He needs to retire yesterday. Perhaps the owners force him out after this gaffe?

WVRed
06-14-2012, 12:04 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/542290_472569262757884_1948273729_n.jpg

NJReds
06-14-2012, 01:27 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/542290_472569262757884_1948273729_n.jpg

Someone needs to add Bill Russell.

texasdave
06-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Stern overreacted in the extreme.

He came off as both petulant and arrogant.

He needs to retire yesterday. Perhaps the owners force him out after this gaffe?

+1

improbus
06-15-2012, 12:57 AM
I agree that Stern went a little overboard, but people have been saying these things since 1985 about the NBA. That is 37 years of hearing about conspiracy theories that essentially equate your league with professional wrestling. I think I would lash out too. Also, it isn't like Stern hasn't been testy before. He has always had a very playful/condescending attitude with the media. This really isn't anything new, just really awkward.

improbus
06-15-2012, 01:07 AM
Big win.
Some thoughts:
Bosh has terrible hands.
LeBron is in attack mode and the Heat need to find ways get him the ball in good spots.
Miami has led at the end of 6 of the 8 quarters.
OKC is 4-3 on the road in the playoffs.
Battier has found his shot.

dabvu2498
06-15-2012, 08:29 AM
I remember watching Norris Cole in high school and thinking that Cleveland State might be a stretch for him. Now he's getting minutes in the NBA Finals. Amazing.

improbus
06-15-2012, 09:19 AM
OKC is very good at manufacturing fouls. Westbrook got one in game one when he stopped bringing the ball up the floor so that the trailing Heat player would run into him. Harden had a pretty awesome dive when Wade (I think) simply extended his arms. Also, watch Westbrook when he goes to the rim. He almost always extends his off arm to create contact (essentially stiff arming the defender) and they call a fouling the defender.

They play the game like an older team.

improbus
06-16-2012, 01:37 PM

No conspiracy there.

Did you notice that the NBA "Finalized the deal for the Hornets today". I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but these types of deals have a way of seeming done and then getting "undone" by something. But, getting the top pick and $50 million in arena improvements (that Benson doesn't have to pay for) certainly greases the skids.
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=8058469

improbus
06-16-2012, 01:39 PM
I love the NBA, but I will get a lot more sleep when these games are over. My wife thinks I'm mad at her.

Razor Shines
06-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Did anyone watch the Dream Team doc? I loved it, watched it twice already.

Todd Gack
06-17-2012, 12:18 AM
It's definitely not a question one of the ESPN Radio drones would ask, but lets be real, as soon as NO won the lottery what was the public's reaction? And Stern has no one to blame but himself for all of these conspiracies.

Yup. The officiating in that league is the first example everyone SHOULD bring up when it comes to conspiracies in that league.

WVRed
06-17-2012, 12:25 PM
I agree that Stern went a little overboard, but people have been saying these things since 1985 about the NBA. That is 37 years of hearing about conspiracy theories that essentially equate your league with professional wrestling. I think I would lash out too. Also, it isn't like Stern hasn't been testy before. He has always had a very playful/condescending attitude with the media. This really isn't anything new, just really awkward.

Just for fun, let's see what would happen if somebody else won the lottery:

Charlotte: Doing MJ a favor
Washington: Major media market, UK connection (Wall and Davis)
Cleveland: Making up for LeBron (again)
Sacramento: Arena deal up in the air, could keep the team there.
Portland: Making up for the Greg Oden failure.

Won't go any further as any of the other teams were a reach to win, but I think it would be a conspiracy theory regardless of who won.

improbus
06-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Just for fun, let's see what would happen if somebody else won the lottery:

Charlotte: Doing MJ a favor
Washington: Major media market, UK connection (Wall and Davis)
Cleveland: Making up for LeBron (again)
Sacramento: Arena deal up in the air, could keep the team there.
Portland: Making up for the Greg Oden failure.

Won't go any further as any of the other teams were a reach to win, but I think it would be a conspiracy theory regardless of who won.

If the NFL had a lottery, there would have been the same issues with Luck, etc...

improbus
06-17-2012, 09:46 PM
LeBron can do layups from almost any point within 6 feet of ther rim. He does them with no feet ever starting or ending in the paint.

NJReds
06-17-2012, 11:14 PM
If Dwayne Wade was shooting in a gym by himself, he'd still claim he was fouled on every shot.

WMR
06-17-2012, 11:58 PM
D. Wade almost screwed that thing up at the end. LBJ wants that ring bad. Fun series so far.

improbus
06-18-2012, 11:21 AM
I can't believe I said that 1985 was 37 years ago. That is what happens when a Latin teacher does math.

improbus
06-18-2012, 11:33 AM
I love that Miami is getting the ball to LeBron while he is on the move. They aren't giving him the ball up top to create from 28 feet (and giving the defense the time and space to plan for him), instead, he is catching it at 10 to 15 feet, posting, and getting layups or dishing to Battier for 3s. LeBron is getting easy (non-transition) points for the first time in his career.

Also, if Wade shoots another three pointer or 18 footer, Haslem should hit him the way he hit Hansbrough. I love Dwyane, but his jumper is broken. Also, he is getting his shot blocked at the rim. But, every time he drives, LeBron and/or Bosh are driving on the other side for easy catches and layups. He needs to hit them instead of throwing up the garbage he is throwing up.

NJReds
06-18-2012, 01:48 PM
The Thunder look young and inexperienced, which they are. Still, if they can win one in Miami, they can go back to OKC. I'm starting to think that this series will end in Miami, though.

BRM
06-18-2012, 02:54 PM
If Dwayne Wade was shooting in a gym by himself, he'd still claim he was fouled on every shot.

No doubt. It's almost part of his follow-through.

ervinsm84
06-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I really hope this series goes 7

Razor Shines
06-18-2012, 04:50 PM
More and more i really do not like Wade. Maybe some of it has to do with me being a Pacer fan. I do find myself pulling more for Miami than OKC mostly because I think Lebron hate is ridiculous and I'd like to see him get a ring. And then laugh when all the Durrant can't close chatter starts.

WMR
06-18-2012, 05:41 PM
First non-post player to go for 30 and 10 in first 3 finals games since John Havlicek in 1969. Not bad. :lol:

Razor Shines
06-18-2012, 06:08 PM
First non-post player to go for 30 and 10 in first 3 finals games since John Havlicek in 1969. Not bad. :lol:

Come on he choked in game 3, 2 for 8 outside the paint.

NJReds
06-18-2012, 06:10 PM
I keep hearing all about this LeBron hate, but all I hear it from is sports radio announcers and talking heads on ESPN. In the NY area, I can say that for the most part people are past "the decision," and think that LeBron is among the best players in the league.

I don't root for LeBron, because I don't root for the Heat. I despised the Jordan Bulls, but that doesn't mean that I didn't think he was the best player on the planet.

Have we gotten to the point that you can't root against a player or team that is a rival of your team without "disrespecting" him? It doesn't make sense to me. Just the fact that so many people are talking about him sort of validates his stature among the league's elite.

Razor Shines
06-18-2012, 06:17 PM
I keep hearing all about this LeBron hate, but all I hear it from is sports radio announcers and talking heads on ESPN. In the NY area, I can say that for the most part people are past "the decision," and think that LeBron is among the best players in the league.

I don't root for LeBron, because I don't root for the Heat. I despised the Jordan Bulls, but that doesn't mean that I didn't think he was the best player on the planet.

Have we gotten to the point that you can't root against a player or team that is a rival of your team without "disrespecting" him? It doesn't make sense to me. Just the fact that so many people are talking about him sort of validates his stature among the league's elite.
That's the thing though, I still hear people say that Lebron is a choker and not great. Rooting against him is completely cool, but I still hear people call him LeChoke and what not.

Scrap Irony
06-18-2012, 07:26 PM

Rooting against your rival is fine, I suppose, but you have to be honest about it. Most "fans" haven't been honest about James since his Cav team won the most games in the league four years ago.

NJReds
06-18-2012, 10:31 PM
That's the thing though, I still hear people say that Lebron is a choker and not great. Rooting against him is completely cool, but I still hear people call him LeChoke and what not.

That'll stop when he wins a title. Just like Tony Romo will get the respect he deserves if he wins a Super Bowl. Unfortunately it seems the the ESPN generation only respects rings.

How many fans sticking up for LeBron did the same for ARod?

Razor Shines
06-18-2012, 10:46 PM
That'll stop when he wins a title. Just like Tony Romo will get the respect he deserves if he wins a Super Bowl. Unfortunately it seems the the ESPN generation only respects rings.

How many fans sticking up for LeBron did the same for ARod?

I always have. And still do.

improbus
06-19-2012, 10:57 AM
The NBA is considering retroactively punishing floppers. I hope they do something and that soccer takes notice.
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=8069250

WMR
06-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Serge Ibaka: "LeBron is not a good defender. He can play defense for two to three minutes but not 48 minutes."

Idiotic comment.

WMR
06-19-2012, 05:43 PM
HUGE game tonight... if OKC doesn't win tonight, they're done.

NJReds
06-19-2012, 06:11 PM
The NBA is considering retroactively punishing floppers. I hope they do something and that soccer takes notice.
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=8069250

Good. Soccer should do the same.

MWM
06-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Man, the officiating makes it tough to watch the NBA.

NJReds
06-19-2012, 11:52 PM
If Battier falls down again, they should stop the game and give him a breathalyzer test. He can't possibly be sober.

Officiating in this game is ridiculous. They should just give the trophy to LeBron tonight if they aren't going to call it close to even. No need for a fifth game.

MWM
06-19-2012, 11:55 PM
It would be different if it weren't so one sided. It's like they aren't even trying to pretend

Roy Tucker
06-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Yeah, this is silly. Bogus calls are everywhere against the Thunder.

Someone needs to ask some more uncomfortable questions to David Stern.

Stray
06-20-2012, 12:50 AM
The refs don't give Durant Lebron's calls, that's for sure.

James Harden has to show up, he looks scared of the moment. Oh and I can't even remember Durant taking any 4th quarter shots till a late desperation 3...how in the heck does that happen?

Roy Tucker
06-20-2012, 09:29 AM
I usually think the ref conspiracists are a bunch of aluminum foil hat grassy knoll nut jobs.

But the reffing in this Finals has been so one-sided, it's not even silly. Battier wraps his arms around Durant the whole game and nothing is called. James and Wade get breathed on and "tweet".thunder bodies get knocked flying and nothing. Durant gets knocked sideways and no calls. It's starting todawn on me that the fix might really be in.

NJReds
06-20-2012, 09:50 AM
I usually think the ref conspiracists are a bunch of aluminum foil hat grassy knoll nut jobs.

I don't think it's a conspiracy, but it's been really inconsistent throughout the playoffs. And despite the fact that the players determine the outcome of the game, the refs do have an influence outcome as well.

This reminds me of when the umpires used to give Glavine and Maddux at least 6 inches off the outside corner of the plate, while squeezing the opponent's pitcher. Conspiracy? No. Poor officiating? Yes.

improbus
06-20-2012, 09:51 AM

But the reffing in this Finals has been so one-sided, it's not even silly. Battier wraps his arms around Durant the whole game and nothing is called. James and Wade get breathed on and "tweet".thunder bodies get knocked flying and nothing. Durant gets knocked sideways and no calls. It's starting todawn on me that the fix might really be in.

OKC is shooting 1 less FT per game in the series. The biggest difference is/was 3 point shooting. Miami is shooting 38% and OKC is shooting 27% (while taking more). OKC went 3 for 16 last night. Harden was awful, going 2 for 10 and missing 4 threes.

You can blame the officials, but if OKC makes a few (wide open) shots, the game is different. Also, watch the video and fast forward to 2:10 mark. OKC has the ball and watch what Perkins does to Wade. It was more professional wrestling than basketball.

Thunder vs. Heat 2012 NBA Finals Game 4 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFAOTQeOKec&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

WMR
06-20-2012, 12:57 PM
One more win till the King gets his Ring. :D

#LaFamilia

He played amazing all game, but that 3 he hit with the cramp in full effect was extremely impressive. Doing anything with a leg cramp is sooo hard.

improbus
06-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Part of the reason to root for LeBron is to see how Skip Bayless explains away his title and finds ways to continue bashing him. Maybe his head will actually explode this time.

Sea Ray
06-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Part of the reason to root for LeBron is to see how Skip Bayless explains away his title and finds ways to continue bashing him. Maybe his head will actually explode this time.

I'll be glad when the NBA Finals is over so they can talk about something else on that show. There's not enough going on with one game every other day to fill two hours of discussion. I actually like Skip and look forward to less Stephen A. the rest of the summer

Slyder
06-21-2012, 01:59 AM
Conspiracy Theory: Heat win in 7 now if I were a conspirator. The NBA would love to see all the talk about the finals and whether LeBron can finish or whether he'll choke.

BuckeyeRed27
06-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Well we are about to get a half hour coronation of NBA Champion King James and the Heat. They are just rolling right now.

Chip R
06-22-2012, 12:14 AM
I, for one, welcome our new Miami Heat overlords.

improbus
06-22-2012, 12:38 AM
This game is what Miami was supposed to be. LeBron getting triple doubles, Wade finishing around the rim, Bosh doing dinosaur things, and the role players hitting obscene amounts of wide open threes. They've been this wide open every game for two years, it is about time.

improbus
06-22-2012, 12:42 AM
I am really thrilled for Battier, Miller, and Juwan Howard for getting rings.

Razor Shines
06-22-2012, 12:56 AM
Michael Miller, you dirty gypsy, it's about time you started hitting some of those wide open threes.

Mutaman
06-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Congratulations to Dwyane Wade on his second NBA championship.

Ring Out Ahoya!