PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Steve Jobs has passed

cinreds21
10-05-2011, 07:41 PM
There is a report on Twitter that Apple's former CEO, Steve Jobs, has died at age 56.

Reds4Life
10-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Sad news.

Although I am not a huge Apple fan, he did a lot to transform how people live their lives today. One of the biggest innovators of our lifetime. The world is a better place thanks to his vision and efforts.

I hope Apple continues the tradition he put in place, it would be the perfect tribute.

RBA
10-05-2011, 07:45 PM
ABC is breaking into programming.

Red in Chicago
10-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Our house is FULL of apple products. Sad day indeed.

RedsBaron
10-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Sad day. RIP. :(

wolfboy
10-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Very sad indeed. Our country's lost one of its best innovators. So sad that he was only 56.

Ohayou
10-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Sad news, hopefully the company keeps doing what it is doing. Apple has grown amazingly over the past several years and has taken a legitimate chunk of the phone and computer world away from Bill Gates and others.

MWM
10-05-2011, 10:10 PM
It's rare that I feel much when a famous person dies, but I find myself genuinely sad at this. He's truly one of the greatest Americans of the last 100 years and he will be missed. We need more like him.

thorn
10-05-2011, 10:16 PM
It's rare that I feel much when a famous person dies, but I find myself genuinely sad at this. He's truly one of the greatest Americans of the last 100 years and he will be missed. We need more like him.

My sentiments exactly

Caveat Emperor
10-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Steve Jobs is the rarest of rare people who not only saw a better world tomorrow but also had the drive, determination and smarts to actually make that better world a reality. I wish there were more people like him out there -- big dreamers who have the audacity to do more than just dream.

I'm genuinely sad to know that he's no longer out there thinking up the next thing that will make the world a better place.

GAC
10-06-2011, 04:14 AM
The guy was a visionary, pure and simple. RIP Steve.

RedsManRick
10-06-2011, 11:09 AM
http://www.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/pod0042-apple-logo-steve-jobs-silhouette.jpg

BuckeyeRed27
10-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Love that logo.

His Stanford commencement speech is very motivating and I still watch it from time to time.

Obviously this is a sad day for everybody, but I was somewhat caught off guard by how young his family is. I guess he was only 56, but his youngest is only 13. Too bad.

Johnny Footstool
10-06-2011, 10:16 PM
It's sad that the man died at a relatively young age, and that he suffered through a horrible disease. But I don't get the cultlike outpouring of grief. Yes, the guy was visionary, but did he really enrich our lives to such a degree that we treat his death like a national day of mourning? Is he a great American visionary who brought about widespread social reform? Or did he just come up with things to sell us?

Caveat Emperor
10-07-2011, 12:15 AM
It's sad that the man died at a relatively young age, and that he suffered through a horrible disease. But I don't get the cultlike outpouring of grief. Yes, the guy was visionary, but did he really enrich our lives to such a degree that we treat his death like a national day of mourning? Is he a great American visionary who brought about widespread social reform? Or did he just come up with things to sell us?

By that standard, all John Lennon did was write some songs so that he could sell us all records.

Ohayou
10-07-2011, 12:23 AM

Well, he was responsible for Pixar, not to mention many of the tools used to make films. He's changed the computer world forever.

Johnny Footstool
10-07-2011, 12:50 AM
By that standard, all John Lennon did was write some songs so that he could sell us all records.

Lennon used his influence to promote positive social and political change. I don't recall Jobs ever doing anything like that. The man was a genius at building computers, and even better at marketing them. He was able to capitalize on our desire to look at glowing rectangles. That's wonderful, but I don't understand how that can inspire the outpouring of grief we're seeing.

Blimpie
10-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Lennon used his influence to promote positive social and political change. I don't recall Jobs ever doing anything like that. The man was a genius at building computers, and even better at marketing them. He was able to capitalize on our desire to look at glowing rectangles. That's wonderful, but I don't understand how that can inspire the outpouring of grief we're seeing.I would counter that Jobs did more to inspire great thinking and innovation than any person since Albert Einstein. I would rather see outpouring of grief for someone like this, as opposed to...say Michael Jackson.

oneupper
10-07-2011, 08:04 AM
If comparisons are what we're looking for, I'd say he was our generation's Edison.

Roy Tucker
10-07-2011, 08:25 AM
The quote I read the resonated with me was "R.I.P Steve ... You touched an ugly world of technology and made it beautiful".

Which made sense to me. Technology usually is a cold and sterile world. Jobs was a visionary responsible for the enormously creative and innovative Macs, iPhones, iTunes, iPads, and Pixar movies. Juxtapose that with Bill Gates and Microsoft and Windows and there is a huge difference.

So he did make at least the technological world a better place and I'm thankful for that. But he was also worth $8.3B dollars so its a little hard to get all emotive about his passing.

oneupper
10-07-2011, 08:33 AM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/312811_10150340210013608_180256858607_7903536_2113 424720_n.jpg

dougdirt
10-07-2011, 10:04 AM
The quote I read the resonated with me was "R.I.P Steve ... You touched an ugly world of technology and made it beautiful".

Which made sense to me. Technology usually is a cold and sterile world. Jobs was a visionary responsible for the enormously creative and innovative Macs, iPhones, iTunes, iPads, and Pixar movies. Juxtapose that with Bill Gates and Microsoft and Windows and there is a huge difference.

So he did make at least the technological world a better place and I'm thankful for that. But he was also worth $8.3B dollars so its a little hard to get all emotive about his passing.

I won't get into the pixar side of things, because I don't know much about that.... but Mac's, iPhones and iPads weren't really anything new when they came out. They were just improvements/different versions of things that already existed. Touch screen phones with apps have been around since the mid 90's. iPads existed in the form of tablet computers for about 15 years before the iPad existed as well. They are certainly cool products, but they weren't something new, they were simply improvements on things that already existed.

What Jobs/Apple did though was market their product better than anyone I have ever seen. Their products truly aren't any better than the competition (for the same price, I would argue their products are actually worse than their competition), but 90% of the population wouldn't believe that if you showed them because they market their stuff so well against the competition, while the competition doesn't market against them at all because the competition is made up of 10-20 different companies under one "umbrella" be it Windows platform computers or basically any other smart phone (Blackberry, Android, Windows phone, etc), but they can "attack" all of those at once with a broad stroke in an ad, where as if say HP wanted to say how much better their computers are, they would need to bring up 20 different companies and that simply isn't feasible for air time. Apple can just say "Windows sucks" and toss 20 companies under the bus because their shells (not the stuff inside, which is the exact stuff that Apple uses) use the Windows software.

Roy Tucker
10-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I won't get into the pixar side of things, because I don't know much about that.... but Mac's, iPhones and iPads weren't really anything new when they came out. They were just improvements/different versions of things that already existed. Touch screen phones with apps have been around since the mid 90's. iPads existed in the form of tablet computers for about 15 years before the iPad existed as well. They are certainly cool products, but they weren't something new, they were simply improvements on things that already existed.

What Jobs/Apple did though was market their product better than anyone I have ever seen. Their products truly aren't any better than the competition (for the same price, I would argue their products are actually worse than their competition), but 90% of the population wouldn't believe that if you showed them because they market their stuff so well against the competition, while the competition doesn't market against them at all because the competition is made up of 10-20 different companies under one "umbrella" be it Windows platform computers or basically any other smart phone (Blackberry, Android, Windows phone, etc), but they can "attack" all of those at once with a broad stroke in an ad, where as if say HP wanted to say how much better their computers are, they would need to bring up 20 different companies and that simply isn't feasible for air time. Apple can just say "Windows sucks" and toss 20 companies under the bus because their shells (not the stuff inside, which is the exact stuff that Apple uses) use the Windows software.

All very true. Most computer products are now evolutionary rather than revolutionary and Apple is no different. I've been in the computer biz since 1976 and many concepts I used then I still use now. Just massively smaller and faster.

But Apple product do free people up of having to be their own IT staff and research all 20-odd products to figure out how to do something and be savvy enough to be able to evaluate all 20-odd products against all the reset of their competition to figure out who is best. They get to mix music or edit digital movies rather than become a computer expert.

Caveat Emperor
10-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I won't get into the pixar side of things, because I don't know much about that.... but Mac's, iPhones and iPads weren't really anything new when they came out. They were just improvements/different versions of things that already existed.

The genius of the Mac / iPhone / iPad / iPod, etc. is that it removed the "geek" / "nerd" from his place of gatekeeper to technology. You could use an Apple product without reading a manual, without stopping by IT, without calling tech support, without buying books (the need for a book to help regular people use DOS resulted in "DOS for Dummies" -- which launched an endless series of books), and generally without ever consulting a computer expert.

A lot of people on here are tech savvy and don't understand the frustration that a lot of regular people have when it comes to dealing with computers and electronic devices. The overwhelming majority of consumers don't want to root an Android device, didn't want to remember DOS prompt commands, and didn't want to hassle with organizing MP3 files and transferring songs and playlists to their Rio MP3 player. Jobs realized that people would trade a little bit of functionality in order to own things that didn't require them to be a nerd (or talk with a nerd) to understand.

In a lot of areas (iPod / iTunes / iPad) Apple capitalized and dominated the market. In others (Mac / iPhone) they succeeded in a limited fashion but ultimately pushed the industry in a direction that was beneficial for consumers -- anyone under the age of 21 has no idea what a DOS prompt is these days, and Smartphones now are fairly accessible to anyone straight out of the box.

That's Jobs' contribution to society. And, frankly, I'll take that over people who make lots of speeches and take lots of stances on social issues but ultimately accomplish nothing.

Stray
10-07-2011, 01:38 PM
I agree with what Dougdirt posted above. What set Apple apart was their marketing, not necessarily their product. They made products and then made you believe you had to have them. Overpriced? Sure, but when people believe they're buying the best they'll pay for it.

I'll admit to being somewhat annoyed by some of the Apple 'cult'. Like a joke I heard a while back..."You know how you can tell when someone has a Macbook Air?"...."They'll tell you". It also sucks for other companies that ended up getting driven into the ground because of Apple's stranglehold on certain markets. Like how Palm created Web OS, was then purchased by HP, and then was stopped because they could never compete in a market where the majority of people 'know' iPads and iPhones are the best. Good for Apple though, that's good business.

His genius marketing cannot be argued, that is what impressed me the most about him.

bucksfan2
10-07-2011, 02:05 PM
I agree with what Dougdirt posted above. What set Apple apart was their marketing, not necessarily their product. They made products and then made you believe you had to have them. Overpriced? Sure, but when people believe they're buying the best they'll pay for it.

I'll admit to being somewhat annoyed by some of the Apple 'cult'. Like a joke I heard a while back..."You know how you can tell when someone has a Macbook Air?"...."They'll tell you". It also sucks for other companies that ended up getting driven into the ground because of Apple's stranglehold on certain markets. Like how Palm created Web OS, was then purchased by HP, and then was stopped because they could never compete in a market where the majority of people 'know' iPads and iPhones are the best. Good for Apple though, that's good business.

His genius marketing cannot be argued, that is what impressed me the most about him.

I can't speak for Macbooks and iMac's. I never have owned one and don't necessarily want to. I am so used to PC that the mac's screw me up. Its little things like the button you normally click on is on the right instead of the left. Or the icons are at the bottom instead of the side. I have used a macbook before and was impressed, just not impressed enough to pay for one.

But he revolutionized the handheld devices. I had a dell MP3 player similar to the iPod. I used it for a few years but was constantly having problems with it. I got a bonus and bought one of the first generation iPods and it blew the Dell away. It was better, easier to use, lighter, more memory, etc. I had portable MP3 players for working out but the iPod shuffles put those to shame. I was skeptical of the iPad, thought it didn't do anything great just a lot of different things well, played with one and then bought one. And my wife's iPhone puts my droid to shame.

Apple made things that were easy to use, fast, and didn't screw up a lot. iTunes and the app store made your device even better to use. I just don't think that they marketed their products better, their products were better and they marketed the heck out of them.

Stray
10-07-2011, 02:50 PM
I can't speak for Macbooks and iMac's. I never have owned one and don't necessarily want to. I am so used to PC that the mac's screw me up. Its little things like the button you normally click on is on the right instead of the left. Or the icons are at the bottom instead of the side. I have used a macbook before and was impressed, just not impressed enough to pay for one.

But he revolutionized the handheld devices. I had a dell MP3 player similar to the iPod. I used it for a few years but was constantly having problems with it. I got a bonus and bought one of the first generation iPods and it blew the Dell away. It was better, easier to use, lighter, more memory, etc. I had portable MP3 players for working out but the iPod shuffles put those to shame. I was skeptical of the iPad, thought it didn't do anything great just a lot of different things well, played with one and then bought one. And my wife's iPhone puts my droid to shame.

Apple made things that were easy to use, fast, and didn't screw up a lot. iTunes and the app store made your device even better to use. I just don't think that they marketed their products better, their products were better and they marketed the heck out of them.

I can agree to an extent. Their user interface on most of their products are easy enough for just about anyone to dive in and figure it out. Their reliability and customer support is also top notch (from what I have heard anyway). I can speak on their reliability just based on the fact that my 3gs worked perfect for years.

From a performance and hardware POV I just don't think you are getting what you pay for. Like the iPhone 4, on it's release it was about on par technically with other phones which were released several months prior. Yet it hits the market at 199/299 when other similarly priced phones had much more to offer. In a way you were just paying for the brand and iTunes.

But like you said, their stuff works and almost never screws up. That piece of mind is enough for many people to fork over the dough.

Oh and as far as iMacs and Macbooks go, for the price you pay you could build a PC strong enough to run the internet haha.

Caveat Emperor
10-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Oh and as far as iMacs and Macbooks go, for the price you pay you could build a PC strong enough to run the internet haha.

I'm extremely happy to pay extra for a Macintosh so that I never have to worry about building anything. The idea of building a computer sounds about as exciting as elective dental work -- I'm sure I could do it if I put my mind to it, but there's about a billion other things I'd rather do with my free time.

Stray
10-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm extremely happy to pay extra for a Macintosh so that I never have to worry about building anything. The idea of building a computer sounds about as exciting as elective dental work -- I'm sure I could do it if I put my mind to it, but there's about a billion other things I'd rather do with my free time.

Well I meant building more in a way of picking out what you want on a website and a company sending you the PC. But yeah, building yourself is always going to be cheaper than that.

thorn
10-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Well I meant building more in a way of picking out what you want on a website and a company sending you the PC. But yeah, building yourself is always going to be cheaper than that.

But you would mostly still have windows, and no matter what your hardware is, windows can and usually does, screw it up. Hence, the reason guys like me (Tech support) have continuous employment, knowing Microsoft's moto should be: We will gladly screw it up today so your tech support can fix it tomorrow, again and again and again.

I strongly disagree with Doug that Apple was all marketing, while their products weren't ground breaking in terms of hardware or technology in general, they were that much better than anyone else's because they refused to let you screw it up. They knew users couldn't leave well enough alone so they made it a non-open source product that works well so you can experience the most important part of today's technology, the experience, not the hardware.

signalhome
10-07-2011, 05:53 PM
But you would mostly still have windows, and no matter what your hardware is, windows can and usually does, screw it up. Hence, the reason guys like me (Tech support) have continuous employment, knowing Microsoft's moto should be: We will gladly screw it up today so your tech support can fix it tomorrow, again and again and again.

I strongly disagree with Doug that Apple was all marketing, while their products weren't ground breaking in terms of hardware or technology in general, they were that much better than anyone else's because they refused to let you screw it up. They knew users couldn't leave well enough alone so they made it a non-open source product that works well so you can experience the most important part of today's technology, the experience, not the hardware.

This may be the first place where I've ever seen non-open source mentioned in a positive light.

I've owned two Apple products in my life: an iPod and an iPhone. I've never had the slightest desire to actually purchase a computer from them; I play a lot of PC games, and it's cheaper for me to build a much more powerful PC, never mind the fact that I don't have to worry about compatibility issues with games if I run Windows. I understand their appeal to casual users, but it has never really made sense to me why advanced users would pay so much money for an Apple computer. They look awesome, yeah, but I'd rather build a more powerful rig that I can customize to my heart's desire for a lot less money.

Stray
10-07-2011, 06:11 PM

I guess I'm on the other side of the fence here. I actually prefer Windows for the reasons you just mentioned. Just like I prefer Gingerbread/Sense and other Android platforms because there is more freedom for the user without having to root/jailbreak the phone.

I can see where some people need to be protected from themselves so they don't screw something up, but I still don't see where that is worth the difference in price. And with Windows 7 now it's almost a self healing OS for common problems, it can troubleshoot and fix a lot of minor issues...but hey, when they can't figure something out it's good to have guys like you to call :beerme:.

Maybe I'm just frugal by nature and hate to overspend. Heck I didn't really like spending 1000 bucks on the Sony laptop I recently purchased.

dougdirt
10-07-2011, 06:37 PM

They aren't all marketing, but that is what really set them apart. They make good products. I have used them. They are just about 50% more expensive than what their counterpart product would be and probably just as good too in most cases. I can build a "hackintosh" for roughly 50% of what a Mac costs. It would have the exact same hardware and software, with the same size monitor... the only thing missing would be that little apple logo on the tower and monitor. You are paying a whole lot for that little logo. With that said, for most of my friends, I have started suggesting they buy them because I am tired of working on their PC's because they don't have a clue what they are doing any always mess them up with viruses and spyware. That is one benefit of Macs. You aren't getting that stuff 99% of the time.

One thing that does bother me though is that there used to be a time when Macs were the "it" thing for video editing. Today, they are really falling behind the times because of their software. With the newer processors with multiple cores, there is a lot more power to be had with them. Macs will not allow you to use those extra cores while editing and it really slows you down. I don't use them, but I do know that a lot of people within the industry are moving back to PC's (and Adobe Premiere instead of Final Cut Pro) because of the limited power that is being restricted by the software.

10-07-2011, 06:47 PM
As a teenager, Jobs created the frist personal computer. His vision made it possible for people to have computers in their homes. There is no way to overstate the influence he had on our society and the world just with that invention.

Caveat Emperor
10-07-2011, 10:36 PM
They look awesome, yeah, but I'd rather build a more powerful rig that I can customize to my heart's desire for a lot less money.

The genius of Jobs is that he recognized that you're the 5-10% of people who enjoy customizing things and messing around, while the other 90% of really just want to turn the thing on and have it work nicely with no work on our part. Part of the genius of the Macintosh when it came out was uniformity across the platform on how software behaved -- you didn't need to figure out how to quit a program since there was always a "quit" menu you could select in the File menu at any time in every program, you didn't need to figure out how THIS word processor handled copy/paste because it was always in the Edit menu in every program.

You can enjoy Apple products with zero tinkering and zero knowledge of anything beyond how to turn it on.

Lazy? Maybe. But every minute I don't spend fiddling around with my computer to make it work right is another minute I have to do something more productive with my time.

MWM
10-08-2011, 01:59 AM
I think dwindling Jobs' accomplishments down to marketing is seriously selling him short.

Redsfaithful
10-08-2011, 07:39 AM
I think dwindling Jobs' accomplishments down to marketing is seriously selling him short.

Yeah it is. The guy had a massive impact on like five different markets.

The thing that bothers me about these conversations is the people who say 'well there were always tablet computers, the iPad was just marketing" which is nonsense. He created an entire category and market there. Tablets existed but they were junk and nobody was buying them. Now they are ubiquitous. Same thing with the iPhone, sure there were touchscreen phones, but they were nothing like the iPhone. It's about more than tech specs, it's about the user experience, which Apple has gotten so much better than any other tech company. They made buying a computer and tech fun for the average person - look at Apple stores and how busy they are. That's still astonishing to me.

We're too close to all of this right now to even gauge the man's impact properly. The iPhone is only four years old. In 50 years it's going to be much more apparent how much of an impact Apple and Jobs have had on our lives.

Reds4Life
10-08-2011, 11:21 AM

I agree, and I dislike Apple's marketing. Although I use Android, the iPhone was a game changer in the cell phone world. Not only did the phone itself revolutionize what a smartphone was, it caused the entire consumer cell phone market to shift dramatically. Without the iPhone, we wouldn't have Android or other devices that are capable of doing what they can do today. The capability of the phone also drove carriers to improve networks, etc.

dougdirt
10-08-2011, 12:35 PM

I don't think anyone said that. I think there is a large difference between what some people saying Jobs did and reality though. I have seen many people say he was a great inventor or this, that and the other, and well, he simply wasn't the inventor of those things at all.

Apple came out with products that were better versions of things that already existed. But the fact that they were better isn't why they sold like hot cakes in most cases IMO.

They made other companies step up their games, which is great for all of us who use technology. They still have an overpriced product no matter what product you are buying from them. They still market their product better than anyone else too.

Johnny Footstool
10-08-2011, 02:06 PM
As a teenager, Jobs created the frist personal computer. His vision made it possible for people to have computers in their homes. There is no way to overstate the influence he had on our society and the world just with that invention.

Not entirely true.

http://www.blinkenlights.com/pc.shtml

Johnny Footstool
10-08-2011, 02:08 PM
They made buying a computer and tech fun for the average person.

That's marketing.

Redsfaithful
10-08-2011, 03:18 PM
That's marketing.

Somewhat, it's also making products that are enjoyable and hassle free to use. Leads to a better store experience as it's more fun to demo an iPhone or iPad than pretty much anything in Best Buy.

Edited to add that I don't want to imply that I don't think a lot of Apple is marketing, it is. I just think there's much more to what Jobs did.

Ohayou
10-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Well, he was responsible for Pixar, not to mention many of the tools used to make films. He's changed the computer world forever.

Just to expand on my previous post: Final Cut (current rev aside) went from being the underdog used by amateurs to being irreplaceable for low to mid-level budget films to being used by heavy hitters (like the Coens) to cut award winning films.

Add to that the Color program which many used for a low cost alternative to far more expensive color grading tools (and which spurred the big boys like Da Vinci into creating lower cost software-based grading tools for Mac) and the iPad which has become almost omnipresent on film sets for any number of purposes, from scheduling to convenient digital storyboards, etc.

Also, Mac hardware is huge in the industry. Most digital compositing and a fair amount of CG animation is done on Mac workstations (albeit CG is generally rendered on Linux or Windows machines), and most screenwriters are Mac people.

dougdirt
10-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Just to expand on my previous post: Final Cut (current rev aside) went from being the underdog used by amateurs to being irreplaceable for low to mid-level budget films to being used by heavy hitters (like the Coens) to cut award winning films.

Of course now things are going back to PC's because of the issues with performance because Mac's aren't allowing you to use all of the cores of your processor to edit, while PC's are.

And even still, I think FCP is used more now than it was before because Apple sold the idea that it was better, not because it is better. There really isn't anything FCP can do that Premiere/AE can't do. It has just gotten to be more fashionable over the last 5-10 years.

RFS62
10-15-2011, 09:17 AM
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/220515

Here's a pretty good article about his 7 rules of success.

Hap
10-16-2011, 11:50 AM
http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/stevejobsheavenbudd.jpg

15fan
10-18-2011, 10:25 PM
True email exchange between Mrs. fan & yours truly on the afternoon that Jobs passed:

Mrs. fan: Steve Jobs died today.

Me: iKnow.

Mrs. fan: iRolls.

Me: iApprove.

RFS62
10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
True email exchange between Mrs. fan & yours truly on the afternoon that Jobs passed:

Mrs. fan: Steve Jobs died today.

Me: iKnow.

Mrs. fan: iRolls.

Me: iApprove.

Wow. I want to party with you two.

:pimp: