PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 10/06

chicoruiz
10-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Reds:

Ruben Sierra (46) Played for a whole bunch of teams in a 20-year career. 1997 was the Reds turn.

Jim McGlothlin -A fine pitcher in the early years of the BRM; died way too young.

Others:

Freddy Garcia (35)

Darren Oliver (41) And still doing well...

Oil Can Boyd (52) The Can was fun to have around.

Jack Dunn -18th-century player best remembered for unearthing some of the greatest talent in the history of the game to play for his wonderful Baltimore minor league team.

oneupper
10-06-2011, 08:11 AM
R

Jack Dunn -18th-century player best remembered for unearthing some of the greatest talent in the history of the game to play for his wonderful Baltimore minor league team.

I'll pick this nit. 18th-century?

Good work. I like this B-day posts.

UKFlounder
10-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Sierra's career started out like he was going to be a major star, a switch-hitter with speed and power IIRC, but did not last long. Another of Jimbo's attempts to address the Reds outfield - not quite as successul as Ron Gant.

cumberlandreds
10-06-2011, 08:49 AM
I'll pick this nit. 18th-century?

Good work. I like this B-day posts.

He was way ahead of his time. ;)

Jim McGlothlin was a good pitcher on those early Big Red Machine teams. He started a game or two in the 1972 World Series,IIRC. He died way too young. I assume he had some type of cancer but don't remember now.

cumberlandreds
10-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Nux Fan from the Sun Deck pm'd me and said McGlothlin died from a brain tumor. He died on December 23, 1975. I didn't realize it had been that long ago.
As by chance I was watching Game 2 of the 1970 World Series that was on my local sports channel MASN as part of Orioles Classics last night. McGlothlin started that game. I had forgotten that he had come over from the Angels in a trade with Pedro Borbon for Alex Johnson and Chico Ruiz. Pretty good trade for the Reds.

Bob Borkowski
10-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Nux Fan from the Sun Deck pm'd me and said McGlothlin died from a brain tumor. He died on December 23, 1975. I didn't realize it had been that long ago.
As by chance I was watching Game 2 of the 1970 World Series that was on my local sports channel MASN as part of Orioles Classics last night. McGlothlin started that game. I had forgotten that he had come over from the Angels in a trade with Pedro Borbon for Alex Johnson and Chico Ruiz. Pretty good trade for the Reds.

My recollection on this is different...I thought sure it was leukemia.