PDA

View Full Version : Robin Ventura named White Sox manager

RANDY IN INDY
10-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Didn't see that one coming.

savafan
10-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I hope he tries to start a brawl with the President of the Texas Rangers.

marcshoe
10-06-2011, 07:44 PM
I thought they'd go with experience, but when you think about it, they named a fiery, ex-Chisox infielder. Sounds slightly familiar....;)

Red in Chicago
10-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Finally, I'll be able to understand what the manager of the sox is saying on tv.

GADawg
10-06-2011, 09:59 PM
NOBODY saw that one coming....I bet Ventura's mama said "who"?

dougdirt
10-06-2011, 10:11 PM
A MLB team hiring a guy who has managed at no level in baseball.... this is going to go well.

GADawg
10-06-2011, 10:15 PM
i remember 2 things about Ventura....hitting that walk off grand slam against the braves(it was the braves wasn't it?)and not being able to round the bases because of all the fans on the field and of course #2 having his arse handed to him by and old man!

bucksfan2
10-06-2011, 10:18 PM
A MLB team hiring a guy who has managed at no level in baseball.... this is going to go well.

Ozzie went pretty well.

dougdirt
10-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Ozzie went pretty well.

Ozzie at least was a coach for several years (Expos and Marlins) before being hired on as a manager. Ventura has never been a coach that I know of. Am I wrong here (I honestly don't know, but would like to)?

Tom Servo
10-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Ozzie went pretty well.
but AJ Hinch says 'what up?'

RedsManRick
10-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Ozzie at least was a coach for several years (Expos and Marlins) before being hired on as a manager. Ventura has never been a coach that I know of. Am I wrong here (I honestly don't know, but would like to)?

I think I read that he was an assistant coach for his local high school team...

blumj
10-07-2011, 12:48 AM
There's something so very "silly talk radio caller idea" about this. Only the White Sox.

gilpdawg
10-07-2011, 01:54 AM
i remember 2 things about Ventura....hitting that walk off grand slam against the braves(it was the braves wasn't it?)and not being able to round the bases because of all the fans on the field and of course #2 having his arse handed to him by and old man!

I also remember him snapping his ankle in disgusting fashion sliding into home. Apparently he has an ankle replacement now.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Captain Hook
10-07-2011, 02:26 AM

Not sure why a guy that played baseball most his life and made it to the highest level in the sport wouldn't be qualified to coach, although I'm sure there's going to be more then a few others that share your opinion.

Ron Madden
10-07-2011, 05:29 AM
Not sure why a guy that played baseball most his life and made it to the highest level in the sport wouldn't be qualified to coach, although I'm sure there's going to be more then a few others that share your opinion.

Wow!

I thought Rays Bench Coach Dave Martinez would be a perfect fit for the White Sox job.

Maybe the Red Sox will snap him up.

bucksfan2
10-07-2011, 10:39 AM
I would much rather see a fresh face as a manger than a retread. Give me a guy who was a heady baseball player over a manager who has been around the block a time or two.

I will say this though, a guy with little to zero managerial experience better have a "been around the block a time or two" bench coach at his disposal.

Sea Ray
10-07-2011, 10:51 AM
I thought they'd go with experience, but when you think about it, they named a fiery, ex-Chisox infielder. Sounds slightly familiar....;)

I wouldn't call Ventura fiery. He'll never be confused with Wally Backman or Larry Bowa. In fact I'd say the Chisox have hired the polar ooposite of what they had in Ozzie

dougdirt
10-07-2011, 10:53 AM

I just have to wonder if he knows all that he is getting into. It is one thing to be a player and think you know what all a manager/coach does. It is likely another story to actually be a coach/manager and know what all you need to do. Ventura has never been a coach on a team before, much less been the manager of one. I am not saying it can't work out, because it could, I just think its a bit wild to hire a guy to manage a team who has never even been a coach at any level before, position coach or otherwise.

Sea Ray
10-07-2011, 11:29 AM
I just have to wonder if he knows all that he is getting into. It is one thing to be a player and think you know what all a manager/coach does. It is likely another story to actually be a coach/manager and know what all you need to do. Ventura has never been a coach on a team before, much less been the manager of one. I am not saying it can't work out, because it could, I just think its a bit wild to hire a guy to manage a team who has never even been a coach at any level before, position coach or otherwise.

This is certainly an out of the box move by the Chisox. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. My guess is "not well" but we'll see.

UKFlounder
10-07-2011, 11:31 AM
I wonder if Kenny Williams or the ownership made this decision. If it was Williams, did he just want to hire somebody new who might listen to him more than Guillen did? Did the lack of experience - and perhaps a smaller likelihood of complaining about stuff - matter?

George Anderson
10-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Joe Torre and Lou Pinella are two guys who jumped feet first into the MLB managers job and they did pretty darn good.

cumberlandreds
10-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Joe Torre and Lou Pinella are two guys who jumped feet first into the MLB managers job and they did pretty darn good.

Torre's first managerial job wasn't so good. He well below .500 as Mets manager.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/T/Ptorrj101.htm (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/T/Ptorrj101.htm)

RANDY IN INDY
10-07-2011, 11:49 AM
No doubt Ventura knows the game. The two biggest keys to being a successful manager are knowing how to deal with people and egos, and having great talent.

Bumstead
10-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Eh...I was hoping the White Sox would announce that Dusty Baker was there new manager...

Bum

Sea Ray
10-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Torre's first managerial job wasn't so good. He well below .500 as Mets manager.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/T/Ptorrj101.htm (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/T/Ptorrj101.htm)

In fact, he had one playoff appearance in his first 14 years

I think Pete Rose would be a better example to use as an exception, finishing 2nd in 4 straight yrs as a rookie manager

redsmetz
10-07-2011, 03:52 PM
This is certainly an out of the box move by the Chisox. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. My guess is "not well" but we'll see.

I'm not sure why the assumption would be that it won't turn out well. It's not unprecedented and some who've had no previous managerial or coaching experience have had some success. Certainly, as others have noted, there have been a plethora of player/managers who've all stepped directly into managing, with some have lengthy and successful careers. Of course, that concept is from a bygone era with Rose being the last and it has been rare since at least the 1960's, maybe even the 50's (I'm sure someone here knows).

In researching it a tad, a couple of other names I've seen or thought of were Yogi Berra who retired in 1963 and managed the Yankees to the pennant in 1964. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking there's some other story as to why he only managed them that one year. He played briefly with the Mets in '65 and then became their manager until my other example stepped in - Gil Hodges. Hodges, though, started his career with the Senators (v. 2.0 expansion ones). Of course, his greatest success was taking another expansion team to its first success - the late 60's Mets. The pinnacle was, of course, the Miracle team of 1969.

I can't say it will fail. Depends on the individual and what he has to work with. It's been done before. You are correct, we'll have to see.

cumberlandreds
10-07-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure why the assumption would be that it won't turn out well. It's not unprecedented and some who've had no previous managerial or coaching experience have had some success. Certainly, as others have noted, there have been a plethora of player/managers who've all stepped directly into managing, with some have lengthy and successful careers. Of course, that concept is from a bygone era with Rose being the last and it has been rare since at least the 1960's, maybe even the 50's (I'm sure someone here knows).

In researching it a tad, a couple of other names I've seen or thought of were Yogi Berra who retired in 1963 and managed the Yankees to the pennant in 1964. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking there's some other story as to why he only managed them that one year. He played briefly with the Mets in '65 and then became their manager until my other example stepped in - Gil Hodges. Hodges, though, started his career with the Senators (v. 2.0 expansion ones). Of course, his greatest success was taking another expansion team to its first success - the late 60's Mets. The pinnacle was, of course, the Miracle team of 1969.

I can't say it will fail. Depends on the individual and what he has to work with. It's been done before. You are correct, we'll have to see.

IIRC, I have read that Berra was fired after that 1964 season because he was blamed for losing to the Cardinals in the World Series. They believed he was to close to the players or something like that. The Yankees turned around and hired the Cards manager Johnny Keane. That didn't work out too well as the Yankess went into their worst slide in over 40 years and didn't win another pennant until 1976.

camisadelgolf
10-07-2011, 05:35 PM
I hope he tries to start a brawl with the President of the Texas Rangers.
http://sportssmacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/nolan-ryan-headlock-robin-ventura.jpg

savafan
10-07-2011, 09:23 PM
I think Pete Rose would be a better example to use as an exception, finishing 2nd in 4 straight yrs as a rookie manager

How on earth do you spend four straight years as a rookie manager?

_Sir_Charles_
10-07-2011, 09:27 PM

We're talking about Pete Freakin' Rose. He could do anything. :D

savafan
10-07-2011, 09:35 PM
We're talking about Pete Freakin' Rose. He could do anything. :D

Care to put a wager on that?

_Sir_Charles_
10-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Care to put a wager on that?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbItMbnNzkuxz-5cxUbPXA5_YOeOSzEsRrZUbxieGftsYQ0hfv3g
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=i+see+what+you+did+there+pic&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=WRM&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=834&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=1DIs2xJbxwksuM:&imgrefurl=http://thechive.com/2011/06/15/i-see-what-you-did-there-34-photos/&docid=pY9WTXePj-8KoM&w=500&h=420&ei=E6OPTpmQDOSesQLY9-g8&zoom=1

savafan
10-07-2011, 10:36 PM
http://sportssmacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/nolan-ryan-headlock-robin-ventura.jpg

What's crazy is that Ventura is still younger than Ryan was in 1993 when this happened.

George Anderson
10-08-2011, 01:22 AM
What's crazy is that Ventura is still younger than Ryan was in 1993 when this happened.

I know back in the day I was in the minority but I loved seeing Ventura charge the mound at Ryan. I was so damn sick of the hero worship and God like status so many people gave Ryan.

Ryan was good but he wasn't that good.

Sea Ray
10-08-2011, 09:12 AM

I think you know what I mean. Do I really have to spell it our for you?

traderumor
10-08-2011, 11:21 AM
A MLB team hiring a guy who has managed at no level in baseball.... this is going to go well.From what I hear, a monkey could manage an MLB team. What's the big deal? ;)

In seriousness, I'd be more concerned if he was a guy off the street never having managed at any level, but since he has played at all levels, I'd have to think that he at least hits the ground running. Your concern seems to beg the question that MLB manager requires prior managerial experience at some level of professional ball. Pete Rose had a .525 winning percentage, after all. I wonder how much prior experience Mike Scioscia had?

As for the AJ Hinch reference from another post, that didn't go so well. Of course, he did not have the pitching staff Gibson has either. Speaking of which, what is his pre-Dbacks resume?

Finally, in the unknown quantity genre of manager, there is the "Sparky who?" argument.

George Anderson
10-08-2011, 12:24 PM
I wonder how much prior experience Mike Scioscia had?

Scioscia coached in the Dodgers organization before managing the Angels.

savafan
10-08-2011, 01:25 PM
I think you know what I mean. Do I really have to spell it our for you?

I'm not sure I get your second sentence here. Please spell it our. ;)

cincinnati chili
10-08-2011, 02:28 PM
I'd be very curious to know what Kenny Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf think they know about Ventura that makes them suspect he'd be a good manager. They can probably judge his people skills having known him for so long, and that's a big part of it these days. But people skills aren't everything.

redsmetz
10-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Another shame about Pete Rose's downfall is we'll never know how talented a manager he might have been. Of course, perhaps he was going to be an ongoing Cinderella manager.

blumj
10-08-2011, 09:43 PM
From what I hear, a monkey could manage an MLB team. What's the big deal? ;)

In seriousness, I'd be more concerned if he was a guy off the street never having managed at any level, but since he has played at all levels, I'd have to think that he at least hits the ground running. Your concern seems to beg the question that MLB manager requires prior managerial experience at some level of professional ball. Pete Rose had a .525 winning percentage, after all. I wonder how much prior experience Mike Scioscia had?

As for the AJ Hinch reference from another post, that didn't go so well. Of course, he did not have the pitching staff Gibson has either. Speaking of which, what is his pre-Dbacks resume?

Finally, in the unknown quantity genre of manager, there is the "Sparky who?" argument.
Gibson's been coaching for a while, he must have been with an AL team before the D-Backs, I forget which one, but NESN liked to give him face time when Eck was in studio.

Griffey012
10-09-2011, 03:52 AM
Anyone will be better than Ozzie was after this past season...7 guys who started a majority of the games at their position had an OBP under .330. He had a good pitching staff once the bullpen got sorted out early. His time in Chicago was over.

For the Ventura retractors, how would you feel about Miguel Cairo or Scott Rolen coaching the Reds instead of Dusty with no prior experience?

mth123
10-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Anyone will be better than Ozzie was after this past season...7 guys who started a majority of the games at their position had an OBP under .330. He had a good pitching staff once the bullpen got sorted out early. His time in Chicago was over.

For the Ventura retractors, how would you feel about Miguel Cairo or Scott Rolen coaching the Reds instead of Dusty with no prior experience?

Guillen gets knocked a lot (and deserves some of it), but he's the only manager to take the White Sox to the Workd Series in the last 52 years. He's the only one to win in the last 94 years.

Griffey012
10-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Guillen gets knocked a lot (and deserves some of it), but he's the only manager to take the White Sox to the Workd Series in the last 52 years. He's the only one to win in the last 94 years.

He definitely did some great things there, not trying to take that away. But I felt like his own stubbornness really hurt the White Sox team this past season.