nux fan
10-07-2011, 11:11 PM
they let the cardinals in the playoffs

BluegrassRedleg
10-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Funny how that works sometimes.

will5979
10-08-2011, 10:00 AM
So they should have purposely not have competed in the final 3 games of the season...riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggg ggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttt

:alcohol:

Vottomatic
10-08-2011, 01:29 PM
I said it at the time on another thread. I would have let the Braves win that last one to clinch the wild card.

Kiss the Baby00
10-08-2011, 01:52 PM
i thought this same thing at the end of the regular season. i think the cards were 5 and 1 vs philly before the playoffs began. I would have let Philly controlled their own matchup and took the wrong one.

NCCardfan
10-15-2011, 09:09 PM
i thought this same thing at the end of the regular season. i think the cards were 5 and 1 vs philly before the playoffs began. I would have let Philly controlled their own matchup and took the wrong one.

The Cards played the Phillies 9 times during the regular season and won 6 of those games. Cards swept a 2 game set May 16-17 at Busch; the Phils took 2 out of 3 in STL June 21-23 @ the Cards took 3 out of 4 in PHI September 16-19. The last 4 game set may have been skewed somewhat since STL won the first game, PHI won the 2nd & clinched their playoff spot which means they rested quite a few starters the next game or 2 (every team does this, just mentioning that it happened).

The fact that the Phils clinched and then lost 8 in a row necessitated the fact that they had to play hard against Atlanta to avoid going into the playoffs on a terrible losing streak. Had they lost 1 game to ATL the 1 game playoff would have been in STL & if they lost 2 to ATL then PHI would have entered the post-season losing 10 out of 12 games. Either scenario wasn't favorable and even with the sweep the Phils came in on a 4 game winning streak but that 8 game losing streak was too recent ot count out.

Krawhitham
10-15-2011, 11:50 PM
So they should have purposely not have competed in the final 3 games of the season...riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggg ggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttt

YEP

they should have rested their players, If they would have rested their big players they would have played a lot better

Rijo's Ghost
10-16-2011, 01:49 AM
I said it at the time on another thread. I would have let the Braves win that last one to clinch the wild card.
Well then you were wrong twice. The Braves winning the last one wouldn't have clinched the Wildcard.

PedroBourbon
10-16-2011, 08:57 AM

Cards were 6-3 against Philly and one of the few teams to own them this year

Vottomatic
10-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Well then you were wrong twice. The Braves winning the last one wouldn't have clinched the Wildcard.

Okay, smart guy. Let me restate myself. I would have made sure Atlanta won the wild card whatever it took.

Any smart team does not want to play the hottest team come the playoffs. And clearly the Cardinals had it rolling and the Braves were struggling.

Rijo's Ghost
10-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Okay, smart guy. Let me restate myself. I would have made sure Atlanta won the wild card whatever it took.

Any smart team does not want to play the hottest team come the playoffs. And clearly the Cardinals had it rolling and the Braves were struggling.
Do whatever it takes and let the Braves sweep them? Yeah, going into the playoffs having lost 12 of their last 14 would have been genius. Guess what, if they let the Braves sweep them, they're no longer struggling.

Your hate of the Cardinals is blinding you from common sense.

Vottomatic
10-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Do whatever it takes and let the Braves sweep them? Yeah, going into the playoffs having lost 12 of their last 14 would have been genius. Guess what, if they let the Braves sweep them, they're no longer struggling.

Your hate of the Cardinals is blinding you from common sense.

Well since I originally said it when the regular season ended (on another thread), and since the Phillies got knocked off by the Cardinals (since the Braves didn't make the playoffs).........

......I'm looking pretty brilliant! :beerme: :laugh:

will5979
10-17-2011, 08:35 AM
What does it matter? It is what it is, St.L is in the World Series and so is Josh Hamilton...If only we hadn't made that stupid ass trade in 2008.

:bang::alcohol::help::angry::confused::rant2::barf ::dunno::rant:

bounty37h
10-17-2011, 09:53 AM

Yup, I can see it, the Yanks did it to keep Boston out.

will5979
10-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Yup, I can see it, the Yanks did it to keep Boston out.

If they did that purposely my hats off to the Yankees. I depise the Red Sox.

bounty37h
10-17-2011, 01:07 PM
If they did that purposely my hats off to the Yankees. I depise the Red Sox.

Lol, I'm not a fan of either to be honest, but they def tanked it to keep Boston out, thier own announcers even said they didn't know anyone on the field the last reg series. And think the OP was saying same principle, should have lost to keep St Loius out, might be in the WS now if they had.

Mr Larkin
10-17-2011, 02:13 PM
In my book, you need to enter the playoffs playing as well as possible. I would not have let up on the gas against Atlanta. They are the Phillies - they should not care who they are playing.

Vottomatic
10-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Clearly the Phils matched up better with Atlanta. They screwed themselves letting the Cardinals into the playoffs.

bounty37h
10-18-2011, 10:19 AM
In my book, you need to enter the playoffs playing as well as possible. I would not have let up on the gas against Atlanta. They are the Phillies - they should not care who they are playing.

Well, the birds knocked em out, so maybe they should have cared. Might be playing again if they had. No way to know of course, but odds were better

Rijo's Ghost
10-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Well, the birds knocked em out, so maybe they should have cared. Might be playing again if they had. No way to know of course, but odds were better

How were the odds better? They got a Cardinals team in the first round who won fewer games than the Diamondbacks and didn't have the luxury of setting up their rotation. Lohse started Game 1 for christ sake. The Cardinals were 7-3 over their last 10 heading into the playoffs. The Diamondbacks were 7-3 over their last 10 heading into the playoffs.

Krawhitham
10-21-2011, 08:52 PM
In my book, you need to enter the playoffs playing as well as possible.

The Phillies players were out of gas, if they would have rested then they would have been WELL instead of running on fumes

Boston Red
10-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Lol, I'm not a fan of either to be honest, but they def tanked it to keep Boston out, thier own announcers even said they didn't know anyone on the field the last reg series. And think the OP was saying same principle, should have lost to keep St Loius out, might be in the WS now if they had.

The Yanks tanked?!? They had a funny way of doing it what with them winning the first game of that series in Tampa and then grabbing the 8-0 lead in the final game. It was a true masterstroke having Tampa down to their final strike before giving up the tying HR to a guy with no hits since April. If the Yanks tanked, they're REALLY good at it!

Cardinal_Fan
10-23-2011, 05:50 PM
The Phillies did throw a bullpen start for the last game. I mean they definitely didn't throw in the towel, but they didn't make it exceptionally hard either (at least for the last game). Atlanta pretty much did that to themselves (we even continued to lose a few games here and there to bad teams -- as we typically do).

But that was my concern going in. It was clear that we were going to be competitive against Philly and I thought they might tank the entire series. Atlanta was just THAT bad though.