PDA

View Full Version : Astros moving to AL? NL gets DH

Redleg
10-12-2011, 01:07 PM
I just read that the astros owner is going to sell the team and also move to the AL West. This would create 15 teams in each league and there would have to be interleague play all year. If this happens would the NL switch to the DH in 2013. NL teams should have the option to have an actual DH on their team if they are going to be playing AL teams all throughout the season. I know they will probably have the same amount of series but it would be spread out through the year. I don't think the switch would happen until 2013 becaue the schedules are already out. If this did happen then the Reds could play Alonso in the outfield in 2012 with Heisey and DH him in 2013 with Votto at first. Then he could step in and play 1B in 2014 if Votto is gone. For the people that wanted Youkilis this would also help because he could actually sign here in 2013 and play third then move to the DH in 2014.

Nathan
10-12-2011, 01:23 PM
God, I hope they don't put the DH in the National League. It would completely destroy the strategy of the game.

Redleg
10-12-2011, 01:36 PM
God, I hope they don't put the DH in the National League. It would completely destroy the strategy of the game.

I agree with you but if the NL had a DH right now the Reds wouldn't have the should we trade the Alonso or Votto question. They could DH Alonso this season and worry about trading Votto if he won't sign and they are out of it at the deadline in 2013. It is also a disadvantage for NL teams in interleague play. The Jays put out Adam Lind who is not great but is way better than the Reds DH the last two season's, Johnny Gomes.

drowg14
10-12-2011, 02:01 PM
I agree with you but if the NL had a DH right now the Reds wouldn't have the should we trade the Alonso or Votto question. They could DH Alonso this season and worry about trading Votto if he won't sign and they are out of it at the deadline in 2013. It is also a disadvantage for NL teams in interleague play. The Jays put out Adam Lind who is not great but is way better than the Reds DH the last two season's, Johnny Gomes.

Exactly. This is why the AL should get rid of the DH. Problem solved.

brm7675
10-12-2011, 02:31 PM
From everything I have read a league change isn't going to happen this year and may not happen at all. As for the DH, it should have been in the NL about 3 decades ago.

Vottomatic
10-12-2011, 03:32 PM
1. Astros move to AL
2. Eliminate divisions
3. 15 teams per league playing the same schedule
4. Best 6 teams make the playoffs in each league
5. Cut the schedule down to 140 to 150 games, start playoffs earlier.
6. Give players one day a week off.
7. Increase rosters to 27 players.
8. Institute a salary cap of $110M per team.
9. Eliminate guaranteed contracts.

brm7675
10-12-2011, 03:52 PM
1. Astros move to AL
2. Eliminate divisions

Well I like it, but it will never happen. Fans are use to now and live divisional play, all sports have it. No way owners give up revenue that would occur in loss of games. Players will never approve no. 8 or 9. What will happen is an additional WC next year and maybe within 3-5 years a team moves to the AL and a more balanced schedule is done and maybe, but I doubt it the DH is put ito place in the NL.

Wonderful Monds
10-12-2011, 04:44 PM
1. Astros move to AL
2. Eliminate divisions
No thanks, I prefer the NBA stay limited to just basketball.

NCCardfan
10-12-2011, 09:53 PM
The DH SUCKS!!!!!

With that said, it's coming to the NL per Bud Selig's master plan to destroy baseball one piece at a time.

Since that train has already left the station (DH), what do y'all think about this:

The DH starts the game for the starting pitcher.
When your starter is pulled, the dh is gone. The starting dh can take a position in the field (a.k.a. double switch) or the relief pitcher is put in that spot in the batting order.

Baseball idiots (AL) get to keep the dh & baseball geniouses (Dusty & TLR) get to keep the strategy that makes them feel good about themselves while fans get to pull their hair out every game;).

Just a thought.

R_Webb18
10-12-2011, 10:24 PM
ive never understood why people hate the dh? i can understand if you dont want but whats the big deal.

lidspinner
10-13-2011, 08:55 AM
ive never understood why people hate the dh? i can understand if you dont want but whats the big deal.

cause if your playing the field then you should be batting...this isnt slow pitch softball where you get to have ghost men and beer in the dugouts....DH should have never been allowed in play...its almost like cheating

Fullboat
10-13-2011, 09:17 AM
1. Astros move to AL
2. Eliminate divisions

Like them all......But good luck with that.

Vottomatic
10-13-2011, 10:43 AM
1. Astros move to AL
2. Eliminate divisions

I'll rip to shreds my own wish for mlb.

1. Could and should happen. But won't.
2. Could and should happen. But won't.
3. Could and should happen. But won't.
4. Could and should happen. But won't.
5. Won't happen. But the season is too long. But it would hurt revenue.
6. Will never happen. But might help the players out with rest and injuries. Keep guys fresher.
7. I like this idea. Helps out the bullpen. Doesn't force a team's hand as much when minor injuries occur. Gives more flexibitility to rosters.
8. When hell freezes over. :D Yankees and Red Sox wouldn't know how to function.
9. When hell freezes over. Players would have to sell their 3rd and 4th houses, and actually take better care of themselves, behave better, and play hard.

brm7675
10-13-2011, 11:08 AM
There is absolutely no reason pitchers should ever hit. They are not everyday players, thier value to a team is much more then almost every other position player and they can't hit for the most part so it on average an easy out. The DH provides teams with more flexability, removes the double switcharoony that Dusty just loves and gives you another good bat in the lineup. The DH is a win/win situation...

getfoul
10-13-2011, 11:17 AM
D-backs or Rockies should move to the AL.

Eliminate Divisions - both leagues equal by time zone- 7 east, 4 central, 4 mtn/pac

Play the four former division teams 11 games over 4 series (Astros considered former NL West)
Play the other ten league opponents 10 games over 3 series
Play four interleague series (Reds play Indians two series to keep most of it local)

156 games in 175 days
50 series in 25 weeks

Top-3 make the playoffs

4 and 5-seeds play a best-of-3 on Friday, Saturday, Sunday after season ends on Wednesday.

Rest of playoffs expand to best-of-7, and World Series still ends in October.

Nathan
10-13-2011, 07:24 PM

It turns the game into a slugfest as opposed to a strategy game. I like the thinking game too much to like the DH. It has its purpose (to extend careers of the games top hitters), however.

Tadasimha
10-13-2011, 10:46 PM
The DH SUCKS!!!!!

With that said, it's coming to the NL per Bud Selig's master plan to destroy baseball one piece at a time.

Since that train has already left the station (DH), what do y'all think about this:

The DH starts the game for the starting pitcher.
When your starter is pulled, the dh is gone. The starting dh can take a position in the field (a.k.a. double switch) or the relief pitcher is put in that spot in the batting order.

Baseball idiots (AL) get to keep the dh & baseball geniouses (Dusty & TLR) get to keep the strategy that makes them feel good about themselves while fans get to pull their hair out every game;).

Just a thought.

My thought would be to reverse this: allow a DH for the relief pitchers, but only after the 6th inning. The starting pitcher has to bat and if he gets pulled before the 6th, the reliever would have to bat for himself until the start of the 7th inning.

mroby85
10-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Why would a Reds fan be upset at this point if the DH was added? I've never been a fan of the DH either, but this gets Votto/Alonso both in the lineup...

JayBruceFan
10-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Would have been nice to have the DH when we had Wily Mo, Dunn, Kearns and Griffey.....

Roush's socks
10-14-2011, 12:41 AM
I don't like the DH, but it has made the AL a superior league. Pitchers have to be better since they don't get a free out every 9 batters, and it just elevates the overall level. But I prefer the No-DH because I think it makes the game more interesting. To me the DH is ultimately a gimmick to try to increase offense and scoring.

Reds pitchers had a .413 OPS overall, which isn't that much worse than Janish who was .521 and that is pathetic. Almost like having 2 pitchers in the lineup.

EMAW
10-14-2011, 12:48 AM
From a strategic standpoint, the DH offers just as many options as the pitcher hitting. NL managers have the easy way out of pinch hitting in a tight game, where as AL managers must make effective use of the pen. The double switch is hardly rocket science. Dusty and Lou Piniella both have said (and Piniella managed in both leagues) that facing a lineup of 9 professional hitters is far more taxing on a pitcher than facing 7 guys and then pitching around the number 8 spot to get to an automatic out. There is strategy to facing 9 real life hitters. While I love the Reds and the tradition of the N.L. the pitcher batting has outlived it's usefulness and is really ridiculous when you consider the N.L. is the only league in organized baseball that has pitchers hit.

jwmann2
10-19-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm all for the Astros going to the AL-West. After all, they are in the West. It would also mean less competition for us to come out of the Central because we would be dropping a team. Keep the DH, it's the only distinction between the two leagues and allows guys like Thome and Frank Thomas to have longer careers. I am all for inter-league play. I get tired of seeing the Pirates, Cards and Brewers every year. How fun was it to see the Yankees live in Cincinnati this year? A blast.