PDA

View Full Version : Worst 50 NFL Head Coaches of All Time

Sea Ray
10-13-2011, 10:41 AM
I stumbled across this article listing the worst 50 head coaches ever in the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/869108-50-worst-nfl-coaches-of-all-time

The most surprising thing is only one Bengal made the list. Only one! Dave Shula stumbled in at #33 and they couldn't even find a picture of him!

Actually I think more Bengals are deserving like Homer Rice, Dick LeBeau and maybe even Tiger Johnson and Bruce Coslet. Heck they even threw in Joe Gibbs because of his last stint as Redskins coach. If they are judging stints rather than a whole career then I think they ought to include Belichick's first go at it with Cleveland.

So what do you think? Did our Bengals get stiffed here? I think we deserve a better representation on that list

WMR
10-13-2011, 10:43 AM
No Bruce Coslet = Fail list

WVRed
10-13-2011, 10:44 AM
I stumbled across this article listing the worst 50 head coaches ever in the NFL.

http://cdn.optmd.com/V2/77595/192085/index.html?g=AQAfT7U=&r=seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2016486599_hawk13.html

The most surprising thing is only one Bengal made the list. Only one! Dave Shula stumbled in at #33 and they couldn't even find a picture of him!

Actually I think more Bengals are deserving like Homer Rice, Dick LeBeau and maybe even Tiger Johnson and Bruce Coslet. Heck they even threw in Joe Gibbs because of his last stint as Redskins coach. If they are judging stints rather than a whole career then I think they ought to include Belichek's first go at it with Cleveland.

So what do you think? Did our Bengals get stiffed here? I think we deserve a better representation on that list

I think you linked an advertisement by mistake. How to refinance my mortgage was the only thing I saw. :)

Sea Ray
10-13-2011, 10:50 AM
I think you linked an advertisement by mistake. How to refinance my mortgage was the only thing I saw. :)

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Try this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/869108-50-worst-nfl-coaches-of-all-time

WMR
10-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Bleacher Report makes your average sportswriter look like Edward R. Murrow.

medford
10-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Its bleacherreport, why would you expect it not to have ommisions, errors or falsehoods.

RichRed
10-13-2011, 01:07 PM
I Heck they even threw in Joe Gibbs because of his last stint as Redskins coach.

And although it was not the Second Coming we Skins fans had hoped for, the team still made the playoffs in 2 of the 4 years of Gibbs II. His inclusion on this list is pretty dumb. Zorn and Spurrier I can't argue with though.

bucksfan2
10-13-2011, 01:40 PM
I would add this guy to the list but he has a Super Bowl to his name. For my money Brian Billick got less out of more than any coach I can remember. He also drafted, develop, molded, and stuck with Kyle Boller.

cumberlandreds
10-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Les Steckel has to be one of the worst of all time. In less than a season he single handily destroyed what Bud Grant had established with the Vikings. The Vikings had to bring Grant back for a short time after they fired Steckel just to stabilize things with the players.

cumberlandreds
10-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Bleacher Report makes your average sportswriter look like Edward R. Murrow.

Yep. Anytime I see bleacher report linked I know its pure crap.

Sea Ray
10-13-2011, 02:30 PM
It seems like it was written by young punks due to it being top heavy with recent head coaches. I'm thinking they haven't even heard of Homer Rice

WVRed
10-13-2011, 02:55 PM
It seems like it was written by young punks due to it being top heavy with recent head coaches. I'm thinking they haven't even heard of Homer Rice

Cam Cameron being the worst coach kinda summed it up for me. Granted, he did go 1-15 in his only season, but everybody picked the Dolphins to do poorly that season anyways and his fate was sealed when Parcells was hired.

I would agree too with Joe Gibbs second coming. If thats the case then Belichick's time in Cleveland deserves a nod. Or Dennis Green with the Cardinals.

Slyder
10-13-2011, 04:24 PM
No Bruce Coslet = Fail list

I see your Bruce Coslet and raise you Novel Turner. I have never seen a guy get more chances and prove to be mediocre and still be respected as a head coach option.

And the Raider representation on this list is a joke Art Shell is much worse than that 23ish rating. No mention of a bunch of guys who should be (pretty much any coach the Raiders have hired since Madden/Flores era, sans Cable and Gruden).

redsfanmia
10-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Rick Venturi should have been on the list, I think he won a total of 1 game in two stints as an interim.

redsfanmia
10-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Rick Venturi should have been on the list, I think he won a total of 1 game in two stints as an interim.

I stand corrected, he was 2-17 as an nfl head coach and 1-31-1 as head coach at Northwestern.

George Anderson
10-13-2011, 07:24 PM
I stand corrected, he was 2-17 as an nfl head coach and 1-31-1 as head coach at Northwestern.

I saw Venturi wearing a huge white mink coat at an Indy Ice game around the time he was HC of the Colts.

I knew right there and then something was wrong with him

KronoRed
10-13-2011, 10:38 PM
What I find amusing is how many guys coached multiple teams, mediocrity rewards in the NFL.

Hap
10-14-2011, 12:05 PM
They should have mentioned this game (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199209200gnb.htm) when Brett Favre recorded his first ever fourth quarter comeback. If I recall correctly, the Bengals were driving for the go-ahead field goal with the two-minute warning approaching. Shula called a time out BEFORE the warning, and the field goal was then kicked with almost the entire two minutes remaining on the clock This gave the Packers plenty of time to drive for the touchdown.

Vottomatic
10-24-2011, 04:32 PM
I would add this guy to the list but he has a Super Bowl to his name. For my money Brian Billick got less out of more than any coach I can remember. He also drafted, develop, molded, and stuck with Kyle Boller.

I once heard Billick proclaim himself, during a press conference, to be an offensive guru.

After hearing him call himself that, I paid more attention to Baltimore's offense.

It stunk.

And the Kyle Boller project speaks volumes too.

Enuff said about Billick.

MikeThierry
10-25-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm surprised Scott Linehan wasn't on the list. He took a Rams team that was a dominant team to the dumps with horrible draft choices and bad decisions. His players hated him and was totally incompetent.