PDA

View Full Version : Report: Rangers prepared to throw 'boatload of money' at C.C. Sabathia this winter

savafan
10-14-2011, 06:52 PM
I get that winning increases revenue, but wasn't this team recently bankrupt and had to take loans from MLB to continue to pay players?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/13/report-rangers-prepared-to-throw-boatload-of-money-at-cc-sabathia-this-winter/

A “baseball source” told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York this week that the Texas front office is preparing to make a significant bid for the 31-year-old left-hander with the expectation that he will indeed opt out after the World Series.

Brutus
10-14-2011, 09:05 PM
I get that winning increases revenue, but wasn't this team recently bankrupt and had to take loans from MLB to continue to pay players?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/13/report-rangers-prepared-to-throw-boatload-of-money-at-cc-sabathia-this-winter/

New ownership that isn't leveraged like the previous group was. I don't believe those financial problems are relevant any longer.

The Operator
10-14-2011, 09:14 PM
If they're smart they'll also make every effort to keep CJ Wilson. Letting him go and bringing Sabathia on board won't make much of a net positive impact, IMO.

mth123
10-14-2011, 09:35 PM
If they're smart they'll also make every effort to keep CJ Wilson. Letting him go and bringing Sabathia on board won't make much of a net positive impact, IMO.

Sabathia is a couple steps up from Wilson. The Rangers just signed a mega local TV deal. Thay can compete with the Yankees.

The Operator
10-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Sabathia is a couple steps up from Wilson. The Rangers just signed a mega local TV deal. Thay can compete with the Yankees.He's better, but is he so much better that he'll justify the more money he'll make?

In the last two years, CC has been worth 12.3 WAR. CJ Wilson has been worth 10.5 in that same time span. What's the going rate for .9 WAR these days?

I'm just saying, if they're really gonna be players and go after Sabathia, they should keep Wilson AND go after Sabathia. Because if they let CJ go and bring CC in, it'll mainly be about making a splash and nothing more, IMO.

mth123
10-14-2011, 10:11 PM
He's better, but is he so much better that he'll justify the more money he'll make?

In the last two years, CC has been worth 12.3 WAR. CJ Wilson has been worth 10.5 in that same time span. What's the going rate for .9 WAR these days?

I'm just saying, if they're really gonna be players and go after Sabathia, they should keep Wilson AND go after Sabathia. Because if they let CJ go and bring CC in, it'll mainly be about making a splash and nothing more, IMO.

I'd normally agree, but I don't think the difference is going to stop them from doing whatever else they want. May as well get the best guy.

The Operator
10-14-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't think the difference is going to stop them from doing whatever else they want. May as well get the best guy.I can dig it.

NJReds
10-14-2011, 11:16 PM
I wonder how long CC will last at a high level. Guy looked like he was 300 lbs. by the end of the season. I fully expect the Yanks to offer a lot of $$$ for CC, but I think Texas would be doing them a favor by outbidding them.

redsfandan
10-15-2011, 12:00 AM
If Texas lands Sabathia AND keeps Wilson they'd have to be the frontrunners to represent the AL in the 2012 world series.

fearofpopvol1
10-15-2011, 04:11 AM
I think CC ends up with one of the California teams. He's a west coast guy and has wanted to get back there for a long time. San Fran would be perfect, but they may not have the payroll room for it. I could see Anaheim as a realistic place as well.

gilpdawg
10-17-2011, 10:11 AM
I don't think CC is anywhere but New York next year. I don't think he'll opt out, but that's just the vibe I'm getting from the media, and who knows if they know anything.

Chip R
10-17-2011, 11:16 AM

They have some kind of awesome TV deal. I can't remember how much it is but it is right up there with teams like the Yankees and Red Sox.

bucksfan2
10-17-2011, 01:25 PM
I think CC ends up with one of the California teams. He's a west coast guy and has wanted to get back there for a long time. San Fran would be perfect, but they may not have the payroll room for it. I could see Anaheim as a realistic place as well.

I think as soon as CC signed the deal with NY he regretted doing so. IIRC it came down to the Angles and the Yankees with the Yankees offering more. I think he opts out and heads out to Anaheim or maybe the Dodgers if they get a new owner and everything on the up and up. I don't see him fitting in with the Giants. Actually if the Giants have any extra money it needs to go towards offense. Their rotation is pretty darn good right now but their offense is woeful.

MikeThierry
10-17-2011, 02:22 PM

They have a more stable ownership group and they have an epic TV deal. Their TV deal is worth 80 million per year. It is the largest fox baseball contract in the game. That contract alone makes them players for any free agent. I wouldn't be surprised if they make a move for not only CC but one of the prime first baseman free agents because Moreland or what ever his name isn't living up to his potential. In fact, I have a feeling that Pujols will be in a Rangers uniform next year.