PDA

View Full Version : A rash of shootings in Lexington

The Operator
10-14-2011, 11:23 PM
And the latest shooting occurred literally 5 apartment complexes up the street from me. Which makes it just a bit close for comfort.

http://www.lex18.com/news/lexington-police-investigating-rash-of-shootings-in-last-week/

The list of recent shootings in Lexington grew to 10 in the last week after another shooting incident early Wednesday morning.

And here's the scene I was greeted with yesterday evening as I returned from class. Happened around 6pm, right as I was leaving campus.
http://www.kentucky.com/2011/10/13/1919533/lexington-mayor-says-we-will-not.html

Hours after police announced a task force intended to crack down on the number of shootings in Lexington, the city saw its 14th shooting incident in nine days.

I thought Lexington was supposed to be a fairly safe city? This is crazy.

redsfandan
10-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Guess I'm not going to Lexington anytime soon.

The Operator
10-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Guess I'm not going to Lexington anytime soon.It's the craziest thing. When I found out I was going to grad school at UK all anyone ever told me was how clean, safe and beautiful Lexington is. Not a single person had anything negative to say about it.

What's even more odd, to me, is that where I live really doesn't seem like somewhere this would happen. Yes, they are slightly older apartments, but they aren't run down, at least not in my opinion. And the houses nearby are all really nice, Henry Clay High School appears to be an okay school. That's why this whole thing floors me.

I will say this. When I first moved in, I had a strong suspicion that one of my neighbors was a drug dealer. No job, but wore fancy clothes and drove a nice car and constantly had visitors. I mean all the time, day and night. And then it became real obvious when some idiot pulled up and yelled "yo, can you front me a dimebag?" Clearly they were very concerned with keep the operation under wraps. That person moved out, but I've wondered just how active the drug scene is around here. And now I know. Ugh.

redsfandan
10-15-2011, 12:28 AM
I'd look to move to a different part of town. Just because there's a few idiots with guns shouldn't reflect badly on the whole city.

reds1869
10-15-2011, 01:15 PM
I had a neighbor in Cleveland that was a drug dealer. Things can go downhill in a place very quickly when drug traffic is involved.