PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 10/16

chicoruiz
10-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Reds:

Jack Baldschun (74) -A cog in the disastrous Frank Robinson trade.

Dave Sisler -Son of George, brother of Dick, Red of '62

Others:

Tim McCarver (70)

Dave DeBusschere -Best basketball player to ever play major league baseball, unless I'm forgetting somebody.

Bob Cain -Only pitcher to face a midget batter.

Goose Goslin -Terrific player who played his whole career in a park that hurt his stats.

Garland "Gob" Buckeye -Listed at 6'0", 255 lbs; probably weighed significantly more.

oneupper
10-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Dave DeBusschere -Best basketball player to ever play major league baseball, unless I'm forgetting somebody.

Danny Ainge played with the Blue Jays and had a long NBA career, including some coaching.
I don't know if he was better or not than DeBusschere.

chicoruiz
10-16-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't think Ainge was nearly as good as DeBusschere. The only one I can think of who might be close was Bill Sharman, but Bill never got into a game in his Dodgers career. He was, however in uniform in the Dodger dugout when Bobby Thomson hit the "Shot Heard 'Round The World".

marcshoe
10-16-2011, 08:50 PM
'course that's only because Deion never played pro basketball. ;)

cumberlandreds
10-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Just on a personal note, this would have been my dad's 90th birthday if he were still living. He started this love of baseball for me and I wish he were still around to talk to about baseball or anything for that matter.

Bob Borkowski
10-16-2012, 11:28 PM

I've never been a fan of pro basketball so I can only submit the name of Gene Conley...don't really know how good he was.

chicoruiz
10-17-2012, 05:14 AM
Conley was a center, just OK...He might have started on some teams, but he was a Celtic, and he had as much chance of replacing Bill Russell as I have of replacing Jay-Z...

Big Klu
10-17-2012, 02:51 PM
I've never been a fan of pro basketball so I can only submit the name of Gene Conley...don't really know how good he was.

DeBusschere was probably the best basketball player to play MLB. The only other player I can think of who would even come close would be Danny Ainge.

DGullett35
10-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Michael Jordan:) I know he wasnt too good but he may have been the best basketball player to play baseball I guess.

Big Klu
10-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Michael Jordan:) I know he wasnt too good but he may have been the best basketball player to play baseball I guess.

He never made it to the big leagues, though.

DGullett35
10-17-2012, 11:11 PM
He never made it to the big leagues, though.

I didnt think Ainge did either thats why I said Jordan but I was wrong. My bad

cumberlandreds
10-18-2012, 07:44 AM
I didnt think Ainge did either thats why I said Jordan but I was wrong. My bad

Ainge played three seasons with the Blue Jays. He only hit .220 in that time. He made a wise career choice.