PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays- 10/17

chicoruiz
10-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Reds:

Glenn Braggs (49 or 46, I can't read my own writing) -Great pickup for the '90 stretch run; career was done by age 29.

Kelly Paris (54) -Played for four ML teams, but most of his ABs were for the '83 Reds.

Johnny Klippstein

Paul Derringer -Always grouped with Bucky Walters as a twosome, but a wonderful pitcher in his own right, especially in the pennant years of '39 and '40.

Buck Ewing- The greatest 19th-century catcher. He's buried in Mt. Washington, not far from where I grew up- who knew?

Others:

John Rocker (37) -The less said, the better.

Jim Gilliam -Terrific all-around player for the Dodgers.

oneupper
10-17-2011, 04:14 PM
According to wiki, Glenn Braggs is married to Cindy Herron who is/was a member of R&B group En Vogue. They have four children.

Didn't know "En Vogue" either, but their song "Free Your Mind" I recalled.
(Free your mind, the rest will follow...).

The internet is a great thing.

UKFlounder
10-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Kelly Paris I will remember just from his 1984 Topps baseball card, back in the days of probably my greatest interest in that hobby.

Bob Borkowski
10-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Johnny Klippstein

5-26-56: Klippstein, Hershell Freeman and Joe Black combined to hold the Milwaukee Braves hitless for 9-2/3 innings at County Stadium before the Braves rally in the 11th for a 2-1 win. Klippstein went 7 innings and then was lifted for a pinch hitter in the 8th. I recall that Birdie Tebbetts caught a lot of flack for not staying with Klippstein because he had a no-hitter going.