PDA

View Full Version : Carl Lindner has passed away. RIP, "Uncle Carl"

Matt700wlw
10-17-2011, 08:20 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111017/NEWS01/111017033/Carl-Lindner-gravely-ill?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|

Doesn't sound good...

savafan
10-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Prayers for him and his family. He's done more in his 92 years than many of us could ever hope.

Matt700wlw
10-18-2011, 12:14 AM
http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_news/Cincinnati-entrepreneur-Carl-H-Lindner-Jr-dies-at-92

He's passed away.

MrCinatit
10-18-2011, 12:30 AM
May he rest in peace.

savafan
10-18-2011, 12:41 AM
RIP

kaldaniels
10-18-2011, 12:43 AM
RIP

WVPacman
10-18-2011, 12:52 AM
RIP Carl,you will be missed!!!

mth123
10-18-2011, 04:46 AM
RIP.

Ron Madden
10-18-2011, 04:54 AM
RIP Mr Lindner.

Wheelhouse
10-18-2011, 06:53 AM
May he rest in peace, but I was not a fan of his ownership of the Reds.

reds1869
10-18-2011, 07:16 AM
RIP.

redsmetz
10-18-2011, 07:21 AM
May he rest in peace, but I was not a fan of his ownership of the Reds.

Likewise, not to speak ill of the dead, but for all his business acumen, how he didn't get something as simple as how to finance extended contracts (how do you own a major insurance company and not know this?), needlessly put the club in a financial bind during the Griffey era, IMO. Only a slight step up from Marge Madness.

cumberlandreds
10-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Likewise, not to speak ill of the dead, but for all his business acumen, how he didn't get something as simple as how to finance extended contracts (how do you own a major insurance company and not know this?), needlessly put the club in a financial bind during the Griffey era, IMO. Only a slight step up from Marge Madness.

Same here. I'm sorry for the family for their loss. I've read that he donated lots of money to worthwhile charities and did much good.
But he was not a good owner for the Reds. They floundered around most of the years he owned them. He never put in the money needed to keep the Reds competitve.

dfs
10-18-2011, 12:26 PM
He was great for the town. Not so great for the ballteam.

BCubb2003
10-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I think the problem was that he saw the team like he did the symphony -- it was enough to make sure the city had a symphony and a baseball team. But baseball ownership requires a dynamic constant pushing forward, which he wasn't up to. Most things that went wrong in those years weren't his fault, but someone more dynamic could have taken the '99 Reds, Griffey and the new ballpark and created a new era for the franchise.

RFS62
10-18-2011, 12:38 PM
I think the problem was that he saw the team like he did the symphony -- it was enough to make sure the city had a symphony and a baseball team. But baseball ownership requires a dynamic constant pushing forward, which he wasn't up to. Most things that went wrong in those years weren't his fault, but someone more dynamic could have taken the '99 Reds, Griffey and the new ballpark and created a new era for the franchise.

Well said.

AtomicDumpling
10-18-2011, 03:58 PM

Exactly right. Lindner's goal when he bought the Reds was to ensure the team stayed in Cincinnati. He just wanted us to have a baseball team, winning was not a priority for him.

vic715
10-18-2011, 04:05 PM
I always wondered if Carl was getting the wrong advice from the people around him namely John Allen.Didn't Dan Obrien later say that John Allen made him sign Eric Milton.

redsmetz
10-18-2011, 04:14 PM
I always wondered if Carl was getting the wrong advice from the people around him namely John Allen.Didn't Dan Obrien later say that John Allen made him sign Eric Milton.

I always felt it was the other way around. The club's management, and Allen in particular, IMO, were constrained by the limitations from Lindner. I always felt John Allen got a bad rap around here given the budgetary tightness he was forced to work with. I may be a minority of one on that, but I've long thought that was the case. One of the issues I had, which I mentioned earlier, is that as I understood it, the Reds fully funded Griffey's deferred salary each season, rather than costing it out via annuities and such. That was Lindner's doing, IMO, and I've never understood it.

Again, RIP and thanks for the philanthropy and all, but the Reds? Meh, as they say now.

dougdirt
10-18-2011, 04:48 PM

Not entirely. But he did say that he didn't want to sign him and was told he had to because "we need to make a move and he is the 'best' guy left".

REDREAD
10-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Exactly right. Lindner's goal when he bought the Reds was to ensure the team stayed in Cincinnati. He just wanted us to have a baseball team, winning was not a priority for him.

Actually, his goal was to make a ton of money off the team, and he accomplished that. Most of us bought into the "wait until 2003" con game, hook line and sinker.

Carl figured all he had to do was sign Eric Milton and a few retreads to get the team winning again and the fans back to the park, so he could sell off on a high note.

I don't miss having an owner so cheap that he could not sign first round draft picks. (Sowers and Esponsia). In fact, the Esponisa signing started this whole idea of giving kids ML contracts as soon as they were drafted to entice them to sign..

Carl was a disaster for the Reds, pure and simple. That is his legacy.

RedFanAlways1966
10-18-2011, 05:53 PM
I don't miss having an owner so cheap that he could not sign first round draft picks. (Sowers and Esponsia). In fact, the Esponisa signing started this whole idea of giving kids ML contracts as soon as they were drafted to entice them to sign.

You know what I miss? Baseball that had a level playing field for all teams (and not too many teams). Baseball that is made better by a player's union and not made worse.

Ron Madden
10-19-2011, 05:07 AM
I could be wrong but I believe Carl Lindner bought controlling interest the Reds because he honestly thought it was his civic duty.

I think Mr. Lindner loved his hometown and wanted it to be a Big League City, for some reason he had a fear that an "Out Of Town Owner" might move the Reds to another City.

Carl was more of a fan of Cincinnati than he ever was any kind of sports fan.
He loved the Reds because he believed they were good for Cincinnati not because he was ever an avid baseball fan. He bought the Reds and delegated the power to run the club to the likes of Jim Bowden and John Allen.

fearofpopvol1
10-19-2011, 06:00 AM
I could be wrong but I believe Carl Lindner bought controlling interest the Reds because he honestly thought it was his civic duty.

I think Mr. Lindner loved his hometown and wanted it to be a Big League City, for some reason he had a fear that an "Out Of Town Owner" might move the Reds to another City.

He loved the Reds because he believed they were good for Cincinnati not because he was ever an avid baseball fan. He bought the Reds and delegated the power to run the club to the likes of Jim Bowden and John Allen.

This was my understanding as well. With that said, he was a bad owner while in charge. I think his heart was in the right place. He just had the wrong idea of how to run the Reds.

AtomicDumpling
10-19-2011, 06:46 PM

Yes I agree.

Remember that when Lindner bought the team it was during a time when Marge Schott was essentially forced to unload the team. There was real angst amongst Cincinnatians that the team would be bought by an out-of-town owner that may want to move the team to another city. Uncle Carl bought the team as a public service to his fellow Cincinnatians to make 100% sure it would stay here where it belongs. He did the same when he sold it to another local billionaire. We owe him a debt of gratitude for that even though the team was poorly administered during his ownership.