PDA

View Full Version : Brithdays- 10/18

chicoruiz
10-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Reds:

Howie Nunn (76) -Reliever for the '61 pennant winners. Looks just like Wally Cox in his BaseballReference pic.

Others:

George Hendrick (62) -Didn't get great press as a player; he wasn't really that bad a guy, he just didn't like talking to reporters. A fashion pioneer- he was the first player to wear his pants really long, the way everyone does now. Currently a coach for the Rays.

Willie Horton (69) -Kind of a hero; during the riots in 1967 he stood on top of a car in his uniform pleading for calm. Honored with a statue outside Comerica Park.

Andy Carey (80) -Yankee 3B of the late '50s; made a hit-saving play in the eighth inning of Don Larsen's perfect game. Married a Hollywood starlet.

Candy Cummings -Credited with inventing the curve ball in 1867; said he got the idea from throwing seashells.

icehole3
10-18-2011, 08:33 AM
chico check your title dude :)

chicoruiz
10-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Typical...I proofread the body of the message but not the header...

cumberlandreds
10-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Hendrick was on the 72 Oakland A's that played the Reds in the World Series. He was a good player for the Cardinals for many years. One thing I remember about him was that he couldn't hit Phil Niekro at all and would always set out the games Niekro pitched against the Cards.

marcshoe
10-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Also, Hendrick was the last out of Seaver's no-hitter in '78 (2 days past my 16th birthday) and broke up a Soto no-hitter with two out in the ninth in '84 by hitting a game-tying home run. That's pretty much a microcosm of Soto's career, even though the Reds won the game for him in the bottom of the inning.

chicoruiz
10-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Last time I missed Hans Lobert, who played third and short during a five-year stretch with the Reds, and who once supposedly beat Jim Thorpe in a footrace.

CarolinaRedleg
10-18-2012, 10:28 PM
I met Howie Nunn about 10 years ago. He lived in a town near where I worked as a sports writer and we talked baseball for a while. I got to hold his 1961 NL Champions ring.