PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but I can't root for the Cardinals

RFS62
10-18-2011, 11:11 AM
No doubt what the Cardinals did from August until now is historic. As much as I hate LaGenius, I have to give credit where credit is due. He's played the matchups like a card counter, and he keeps drawing good hands. I've never seen such a hot streak, performing at their peak for so long at just the right time.

They're such whiners, though. I always respected the Cardinal tradition, but since LaRussa showed up, their culture is play hard and cry about everything. Their rep is well deserved.

Every story needs a protagonist. The Cardinals, Cubs and the Yankees work fine for me. They're like the villians in WWF.

Bob Borkowski
10-18-2011, 11:39 AM
No doubt what the Cardinals did from August until now is historic. As much as I hate LaGenius, I have to give credit where credit is due. He's played the matchups like a card counter, and he keeps drawing good hands. I've never seen such a hot streak, performing at their peak for so long at just the right time.

They're such whiners, though. I always respected the Cardinal tradition, but since LaRussa showed up, their culture is play hard and cry about everything. Their rep is well deserved.

Every story needs a protagonist. The Cardinals, Cubs and the Yankees work fine for me. They're like the villians in WWF.

I 1000% agree. The 'Cardinal tradition' under TLR has been sullied.

Roy Tucker
10-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Yup.

I'll give them credit for their August-Sept. run and their epic playoff win over the Phillies. But the NLCS reminded me of how much I just really don't like them. And the fact of them in the WS just makes me want to hurl.

And the thought of Joe Buck and Tim McCarver and the rest of the Fox crew going on about the Cardinal way will just make me want to slit my wrists.

marcshoe
10-18-2011, 11:57 AM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. The Cardinals made moves that hurt their defense in the off-season, and then whatever chances they had disappeared when Wainwright got hurt. This fantasy that they're in the World Series is silly.

blumj
10-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Why the "sorry"? Why would you ever root for a rival, unless it was one of those "the Reds need them to beat who they're playing to make the playoffs" situations?

Raisor
10-18-2011, 12:21 PM
if the choice was between cheering for the Cardinals and being killed in a puma attack, it would be a close call.

marcshoe
10-18-2011, 12:27 PM
if the choice was between cheering for the Cardinals and being killed in a puma attack, it would be a close call.

Hmmm...the cat or the shoe?

Raisor
10-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Hmmm...the cat or the shoe?

dead is dead.

Bob Borkowski
10-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Why the "sorry"? Why would you ever root for a rival, unless it was one of those "the Reds need them to beat who they're playing to make the playoffs" situations?

I'm sure lot of folks in here feel an 'allegiance' to the NL. I usually do.

RANDY IN INDY
10-18-2011, 12:57 PM
I usually do......................but not this season.

I used to like the Cardinals and their tradition, and probably will again when Larussa, Duncan, Molina and company are gone, but for me, it is really hard to pull for this whining bunch.

CarolinaRedleg
10-18-2011, 01:06 PM
No apology necessary. Crypenter, LaDoubleday and Necktats make this one an easy call.

redsmetz
10-18-2011, 01:13 PM
I just had this conversation with my godson, an ardent Cardinals fan. As many of you know, my wife grew up in Missouri and, while she's a Reds fan, most of her family still are Cardinals fans (save her older brother, who is a Twins fan, but when it comes to NL, his childhood loyalty still rules).

The year we were married (1981) looked like it had the prospects of being a Reds/Cardinals playoff, which would have brought an interesting twist to our honeymoon (we were married on the 2nd last day of the season). Alas, the strike kept both of our teams out of the Series. But in the years since, if and when we were out of it, I'd pull for the Cardinals even after we came into the same division.

But since last year, I've grown to detest the Cardinals primarily because of their whining (both LaRussa's and some of the team). I think Chris Carpenter is very possibly certifiable and I await the day one of his teammates slugs him. I took a lot of ribbing at my godson's party this summer celebrating his marriage out west in the spring, from BOTH sides of his family (his dad is from St. Louis proper). It was difficult, to say the least.

Now with my Mom passing away Monday a week ago, their family (understandably) has been so sweet to me and my family, that I've reached the decision to not actively root against the Cardinals. It's a detente of some sort, I'm sure. And I told my nephew that at some point I'd love to dissect this season with him, but that right now, it's just too raw (the pain of our season, the sudden success of their's).

It's an interesting place to be, to say the least.

MikeThierry
10-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Sorry about your loss redsmetz.

REDblooded
10-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Root for the Cardinals or pull for Josh Hamilton?

Easy choice.

Not to mention that my first handful of games that I ever went to were Rangers games as 1/2 of my family is from Texas...

WMR
10-18-2011, 02:18 PM
If they win another WS, my faith in humanity will be irrevocably shaken.

Razor Shines
10-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Was there a need for this thread? I want to know which Reds fans are considering rooting for the Cardinals. Make that thread.."I'm sorry, I have to root for the Cardinals"

RFS62
10-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Was there a need for this thread? I want to know which Reds fans are considering rooting for the Cardinals. Make that thread.."I'm sorry, I have to root for the Cardinals"

A need? Not sure there's a need for ANY thread.

It's a message board.

As Bob said earlier, I also tend to pull for NL teams in general in the post season.

Regardless, these whiners are make it easy not to care.

blumj
10-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Now, that's a tougher choice for me, life without message boards or death by puma attack? Nah, that's not really so tough, either.

Rojo
10-18-2011, 02:54 PM
I usually do......................but not this season.

I used to like the Cardinals and their tradition, and probably will again when Larussa, Duncan, Molina and company are gone, but for me, it is really hard to pull for this whining bunch.

That about captures it. Back in the two-division days, the Cards were my NL East team -- loved Whitey and the brand of ball they played. Now? Besides the whiney, they just seem about as boring as you can get for a team that made a huge comeback to make the post-season.

traderumor
10-18-2011, 03:23 PM
That about captures it. Back in the two-division days, the Cards were my NL East team -- loved Whitey and the brand of ball they played. Now? Besides the whiney, they just seem about as boring as you can get for a team that made a huge comeback to make the post-season.

Funny you say that, because when I see folks talk about liking the Cardinals tradition, I think of Whitey and his teams, whom I did not like. Thought they were playing sissy turfball :laugh:

Rojo
10-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Thought they were playing sissy turfball :laugh:

NOTHING sissy about turfball. It's for atheletes, unlike the beer league stuff we've seen the last few years.

redsfandan
10-18-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm sure lot of folks in here feel an 'allegiance' to the NL. I usually do.

Yeah, usually. Not this year though. Go Rangers all the way.

Roy Tucker
10-18-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm afraid I'll just root for nobody. Just can't bring myself to root for an AL team that I have zero history with.

I think the only time I rooted for an AL team in the WS was 2004 with the Red Sox. And even then, Jimmy Fallon kinda ruined it.

westofyou
10-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Go Senators.... er... Rangers!

I'll date myself here, my 1st year of little league my team was the Senators, I always was a Lenny Randall fan anyway.

RANDY IN INDY
10-18-2011, 05:07 PM
How about Frank Howard, Ed Stroud, Eddie Brinkman, Ken McMullen, Joe Coleman, and Darold Knowles? Oh, I'm really dating myself.

westofyou
10-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Brinkmanship and Coleman, Tigers in my world

RFS62
10-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Teddy Ballgame's return to MLB as manager of the Senators too..... I so wanted that to go well

15fan
10-18-2011, 10:35 PM
I would root for Pol Pot, Al Qaeda, Jeffery Dahmer, the Axis Powers, Baby Doc Duvalier, Kim Jong Il, and Bernie Madoff before I would root for Tony LaRussa's Cardinals.

Chip R
10-19-2011, 12:05 AM

Couldn't agree more.

MrCinatit
10-19-2011, 12:51 AM
I don't think I have been so disinterested in a World Series since 2000 (Mets vs. Yankees)...and this one actually might top that one.

marcshoe
10-19-2011, 12:58 AM
I've had a soft spot for the Rangers for some time (I used to play as them a lot in Strat back in '72-'73, even) so rooting for them won't be hard. A part of me feels guilty feeling this way about the Cards. I've spent quite a bit of time in St. Louis and have friends there and friends from there. Not even the presence of Arthur Rhodes can make me root for this bunch, though.

MikeThierry
10-19-2011, 01:18 AM
Will this old school video of TLR on a game show lighten your opinion of the Cards? haha :laugh: Nipsy Russell and Dick Van Patton headline the panel.

Tony La Russa on Tell the Truth - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oHrygsiNfc)

reds44
10-19-2011, 01:25 AM
Go Rangers.

Ron Madden
10-19-2011, 04:15 AM
Go National League!!!

I feel a bit dirty but I can't help it. ;)

GAC
10-19-2011, 05:03 AM
I'm rootin' for the Cards......

to get swept in 4 games!!!!

marcshoe
10-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Will this old school video of TLR on a game show lighten your opinion of the Cards? haha :laugh: Nipsy Russell and Dick Van Patton headline the panel.

Tony La Russa on Tell the Truth - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oHrygsiNfc)

#2 thinks Abner Doubleday invented baseball, so he's out. I'll go with #3.

cumberlandreds
10-19-2011, 09:49 AM
#2 thinks Abner Doubleday invented baseball, so he's out. I'll go with #3.

That's Charles Nelson Reilly as the third impersonator. I'm surprised they used him because he was well know in game show circles. This must have been a new version of this game show. I remember someone else as the host. Just can't remember who it was now?

Bob Borkowski
10-19-2011, 10:11 AM
That's Charles Nelson Reilly as the third impersonator. I'm surprised they used him because he was well know in game show circles. This must have been a new version of this game show. I remember someone else as the host. Just can't remember who it was now?

I know that the guy looks like Charles Nelson Reilly but I don't believe that it is him. In fact, at the end of the segment the third guy identifies himself as a not-famous person.

Also, originally the host of To Tell the Truth was Garry Moore but there may have been others over the years.

marcshoe
10-19-2011, 10:17 AM
I watched the whole thing to see if #3 was this guy:

http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/1983-Fleer_ron-Kittle.jpg

but it wasn't.

Razor Shines
10-19-2011, 10:28 AM
A need? Not sure there's a need for ANY thread.

It's a message board.

As Bob said earlier, I also tend to pull for NL teams in general in the post season.

Regardless, these whiners are make it easy not to care.

Yeah, I didn't really word that very well. I just meant that I'd be pretty shocked if there was a Reds fan on this board that's rooting for the Cards. I could see a few years ago, maybe, but not after what has happened the last 2 seasons.

REDREAD
10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Ok, I admit.. I am rooting for the Cards.
I understand the hate for them, but they are a model of what the Reds should be.
They are a mid market team (similiar market to Cincy) that figured things out and became successful. They beat the invincible phillies. They overcame a huge deficit to get into the playoffs. That's fun baseball. I'm not going to be a sourpuss about the the Phillips-Molinda thing.. this is exciting baseball. Much better than seeing Phils-Yankees.

cumberlandreds
10-19-2011, 10:53 AM
I know that the guy looks like Charles Nelson Reilly but I don't believe that it is him. In fact, at the end of the segment the third guy identifies himself as a not-famous person.

Also, originally the host of To Tell the Truth was Garry Moore but there may have been others over the years.

Must be his doppleganger then. It sure looks like him. Gary Moore is the one I remember. I also think Bill Cullen hosted it at one time.

Bob Borkowski
10-19-2011, 10:56 AM
I also think Bill Cullen hosted it at one time.

Yep, I believe you are right.

Bob Borkowski
10-19-2011, 11:20 AM
OK, I'm back to set the record straight. I know we're off an non-baseball tangent so I'll be brief. Also, to the younger members of the forum, I know all of this don't mean doodley-squat, but anyway:

I checked Wikipedia and I was reminded that Bud Collyer (the radio voice of Superman) was the original host of To Tell the Truth with Garry Moore and Bill Cullen coming later. Ah, I feel better now, but no more from me on this.

Chip R
10-19-2011, 12:08 PM
I watched the whole thing to see if #3 was this guy:

but it wasn't.

At first glance he sure looked like him.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-19-2011, 12:42 PM
There's a World Series to be played still?

Wow, with everything else that's been going on in the sports world and outside of it, I almost forgot. I can't possibly think of two more unappealing, uninteresting teams. The only thing that makes the Cardinals semi-interesting is they are so distasteful and loathsome. Obviously I'll be rooting for the Rangers, but I doubt I'll watch much. Especially over the weekend - football comes first.

Viva Texas!

Rojo
10-19-2011, 12:47 PM
they are a model of what the Reds should be.

So we take their mediocre GM.

Roy Tucker
10-19-2011, 01:02 PM

http://www.ttttontheweb.com/tttt80log.html

Episode 9.

I don't remember this version of the show. And I don't remember Robin Ward.

MikeThierry
10-20-2011, 12:14 AM
I still think it is funny how young TLR looks on that TV show.

Rojo
10-20-2011, 03:37 AM
I wish people would start calling me "Nipsey".

RichRed
10-20-2011, 12:52 PM
I wish people would start calling me "Nipsey".

I love that name. I can barely see it or say it without chuckling.

RANDY IN INDY
10-21-2011, 11:02 AM
When I was a kid, I thought that Nipsey and Cazzie had to be the brothers Russell.

*BaseClogger*
10-21-2011, 11:38 AM
What's so unlikeable about the Rangers? I'm much more likely to root for a team because of its players than its "tradition" or whatever. I love watching that offense, they can hit...

Spitball
10-21-2011, 10:12 PM
When I was a kid, I thought that Nipsey and Cazzie had to be the brothers Russell.

:lol:

blumj
10-21-2011, 11:13 PM
What's so unlikeable about the Rangers? I'm much more likely to root for a team because of its players than its "tradition" or whatever. I love watching that offense, they can hit...
They field and run, too. I think Andrus and Beltre are as fun a left side IF to watch as there is.

Ron Madden
10-22-2011, 03:35 AM
I have nothing against the Texas Rangers. I love their offense and it wouldn't break my heart if they were to win the Series.

It's just that I grew up rooting for the NL to defeat the AL in every All Star Game and every World Series.

Back then there was a real rivalry between the two leagues, it almost seemed like they despised one another and those games were hard fought battles to determine which league was the best.

That was when great players usually played for the same club for most of, if not all of their careers. Back before the days of on field fraternization and free agency.

Some may accuse me of being old and set in my ways but that is not the case, I'm very open minded. I guess some old habits are very hard to break.

;)

*BaseClogger*
10-22-2011, 01:18 PM
They field and run, too. I think Andrus and Beltre are as fun a left side IF to watch as there is.

Plus--other than Michael Young--they have a lot of younger guys who I think have been underrated for a while (Cruz, Napoli, etc). The Cards are full of well-known vets.

I also love seeing the "pitching wins pennants" theory blowing up in its face...

Blitz Dorsey
10-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Was it Krivsky that traded Hamilton for Volquez? If so, he should get a World Series ring if the Rangers end up winning.

RFS62
10-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Steve Martin had a routine on SNL in the '70's where he was talking about his attempt at becoming a cheerleader. He recited his favorite original cheer "die, you gravy sucking pigs" as he lamented the judges passing him by.

That cheer works for me tonight as I recite it for the Cardinals. Die, you gravy sucking pigs.

Raisor
10-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Steve Martin had a routine on SNL in the '70's where he was talking about his attempt at becoming a cheerleader. He recited his favorite original cheer "die, you gravy sucking pigs" as he lamented the judges passing him by.

That cheer works for me tonight as I recite it for the Cardinals. Die, you gravy sucking pigs.

If hating Cardinals is wrong, I don't want to be right.