PDA

View Full Version : Senators Eye Tobacco Ban At World Series

savafan
10-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Gotta think of the kids! Wonder how the players who chew would be able to handle the stress quitting immediately before opening a huge series like this.

Oh, and the senators want a tobacco ban included in the next CBA.

http://www.wgal.com/health/29525877/detail.html

Slyder
10-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Gotta think of the kids! Wonder how the players who chew would be able to handle the stress quitting immediately before opening a huge series like this.

Its already in the minor leagues. I talked with the Clubhouse Manager here and he says its $250 fine, if its found in a locker.

savafan
10-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Its already in the minor leagues. I talked with the Clubhouse Manager here and he says its $250 fine, if its found in a locker.

No offense to anyone, but it's somewhat ridiculous to fine adult men for using a perfectly legal product.

Superdude
10-19-2011, 10:35 PM

Instead of the camera panning to player's dipping, you'd have the camera panning to players running into the clubhouse every two innings :lol:. I understand where they're coming from to a degree, but that would be a genuinely awful week to go cold turkey on nicotine.

dougdirt
10-19-2011, 10:38 PM
No offense to anyone, but it's somewhat ridiculous to fine adult men for using a perfectly legal product.

I agree.... and I hate tobacco and all of its products. Dipping is absolutely, 100%, one of the most disgusting things I see large groups of people do. Alongside of smoking of course.

But yeah, I think it is a bit ridiculous to go there.

The Operator
10-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Here's what I don't get. I understand smoking bans, because cigarette smoke is disgusting and second hand smoke kills.

But dip is harmful to no one other than the person using it. I've been told by many people just how hard it is to kick a nicotine habit. So why put people through that when they're not harming anyone but themselves?

I understand that it sets a bad example for kids, but so does a laundry list of other things professional athletes do. Most of them are really really awful role models when you get down to it. But I could care less. I want them to win ball games, I can raise my kids myself (when I have kids, of course.).

RFS62
10-19-2011, 11:41 PM
This all reminds me of Sparky Lyle's famous quote on the subject.

He was smoking in the bullpen, and a reporter said to him "hey Sparky, you're smoking in public!! What about the little kids?"

Sparky replied "F them little kids".

cinreds21
10-20-2011, 01:43 AM

He's probably the only one, and most-hated clubby in the game.

SunDeck
10-20-2011, 07:52 AM
I have mixed feelings about this; it does seem like an intrusion into the lives of ballplayers and I also don't think they should be considered role models. However, I think there is some merit to the idea that kids may see what ballplayers do and be affected by it. Chewing tobacco has a long association with baseball and I can understand the concern for the affect it may have on kids.

When I was in HS, we all chewed sunflower seeds during baseball season. We didn't do it on the bench in soccer season. The reason? It was mimicry- we were doing what the big league players did, except we weren't allowed to chew tobacco so we went with sunflower seeds. I remember some kids who were ballplayers and they started chewing tobacco, not on the field of course, but just generally. To me, it seemed they did it because they had adopted the mindset that they were ballplayers and this is what ballplayers did.
I tried it once and puked- taught me a valuable lesson.

wlf WV
10-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Either allow it or make tobacco illegal.Who do these people think they are?

RedsBaron
10-20-2011, 08:40 AM
I absolutely hate tobacco in all its forms (well, dried tobacco does smell good) and nobody should smoke or dip......but this is truly stupid. Congress has no shortage of more important things it should be concerned with.

Roy Tucker
10-20-2011, 09:21 AM
I absolutely hate tobacco in all its forms (well, dried tobacco does smell good) and nobody should smoke or dip......but this is truly stupid. Congress has no shortage of more important things it should be concerned with.

My sentiments exactly.

Hey Senator, in case you didn't notice it, things aren't going so swell. There are plenty of real problems to work on. Why don't you go pay some attention to them?

Slyder
10-20-2011, 09:23 AM
My sentiments exactly.

Hey Senator, in case you didn't notice it, things aren't going so swell. There are plenty of real problems to work on.

At the risk of running this into Politics...

Don't you know this is how were going to save money! Fewer people using the stuff means less people with throat cancer and other types of cancer. Which in turns means fewer doctors visits and less money Medicaid and other programs have to pay out! Its BRILLIANT!! and thus ends my sarcastic speech.

_Sir_Charles_
10-20-2011, 10:35 AM
We should probably ban Bubble Gum from MLB players too. That's bad for kids too you know. Rots out your teeth. Gotta set an example you know. ;)

reds1869
10-20-2011, 10:53 AM
We should probably ban Bubble Gum from MLB players too. That's bad for kids too you know. Rots out your teeth. Gotta set an example you know. ;)

Don't forget we need to ban day games. The sun is deadly. :)

RedsManRick
10-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Don't senators have something better to do with their time?

RANDY IN INDY
10-20-2011, 11:11 AM
To the Senators, "Stay out of baseball, please! Selig is bad enough without you guys getting involved and making things worse. What you've done with the country is enough proof that you don't need to be involved in baseball." Speaking of bad examples for the children. Sheesh.

George Anderson
10-20-2011, 12:06 PM
I heard a player say the "GD" word last night that was picked up by the mic's.

Maybe Congress can pass a law against cussing on the baseball field also.

I mean how will I explain this to my son?

WMR
10-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Carpenter should face a hefty fine from the FCC. :D

George Anderson
10-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Was it Carpenter who said the GD word??

Geez, I guess he has some splainin to do to Junior.

RANDY IN INDY
10-20-2011, 01:10 PM

Don't give them any ideas about new revenue sources.;)

Roy Tucker
10-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Was it Carpenter who said the GD word??

Geez, I guess he has some splainin to do to Junior.

It was when he was trying to sac bunt in the middle innings and got called for strike 1 and he disagreed with the call. It was something much stronger than GD.

I know this may be a shock to all of us Chris Carpenter fans here in RZ, but he really doesn't like it when things don't go his way.

reds1869
10-20-2011, 02:24 PM
I heard a player say the "GD" word last night that was picked up by the mic's.

Nyjer Morgan let out the mother of all curse words after the Brewers advanced to the NLCS. Three times. :laugh:

wlf WV
10-20-2011, 02:44 PM
What Carpenter said is the worst expletive there is,where I come from.

RedsBaron
10-20-2011, 02:51 PM
I know this may be a shock to all of us Chris Carpenter fans here in RZ, but he really doesn't like it when things don't go his way.

:eek: :shocked::scared::yikes:

REDREAD
10-20-2011, 03:44 PM
How about the Senators focus on making themselves better role models first?

The Operator
10-20-2011, 04:11 PM
How about the Senators focus on making themselves better role models first?Heh, no kidding.

RANDY IN INDY
10-20-2011, 05:12 PM
How about the Senators focus on making themselves better role models first?

:beerme:

Matt700wlw
10-20-2011, 09:24 PM
I've never dipped in my life, but watched baseball players chaw away my whole life.

I used to put wads of big league chew in my mouth, though.

RANDY IN INDY
10-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Dipped and chewed for years. Gave it up and I am much better for doing it. Still have the craving from time to time.

Ghosts of 1990
10-21-2011, 01:53 PM
I have had a hard time kicking the habit, I admit.

marcshoe
10-21-2011, 06:43 PM
They're called the Rangers now, not the Senators, and if they don't want to use tobacco while they're in the WS, that's their business.

George Anderson
10-21-2011, 06:59 PM
They're called the Rangers now, not the Senators, and if they don't want to use tobacco while they're in the WS, that's their business.

I got it now.

That is to much thinking for a Friday afternoon.

cincinnati chili
10-22-2011, 01:07 AM
I'm in favor of the ban. The fact that it's perfectly legal is a weak argument. It would also be perfectly legal for Kyle Lohse to show up for game 3 with a swastika tattoo on his forehead.

Because it's a subject of collective bargaining, it will be interesting to see how concerned the owners really are about the subject. Are they willing to give up something meaningful to the players in order to get it?

wlf WV
10-22-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm in favor of the ban. The fact that it's perfectly legal is a weak argument. It would also be perfectly legal for Kyle Lohse to show up for game 3 with a swastika tattoo on his forehead.

Because it's a subject of collective bargaining, it will be interesting to see how concerned the owners really are about the subject. Are they willing to give up something meaningful to the players in order to get it? Why doesn't Kyle Lohse have a swastika tattoo on his forehead?Tattoos themselves were socially unacceptable 40 years ago,among other things.

Are we for banning overeating,bubble gum,etc.?What else are the bans of choice.I woudln't mind banning mohawk hair cuts and tattoos.:D

Make it illegal if you want to ban it.I'm all for that.

Chip R
10-22-2011, 01:41 PM

Because it's a subject of collective bargaining, it will be interesting to see how concerned the owners really are about the subject. Are they willing to give up something meaningful to the players in order to get it?

I'm also in favor of the ban. But you can't have guys going cold turkey during the World Series. Smacks of political grandstanding to me.

RANDY IN INDY
10-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Ban beer and champagne in the clubhouse, while you are at it. Hey, ban beer at the ballpark for the fans. That creates a much more dangerous situation. And while you are at it, ban hot dogs, hamburgers, candy, bubblegum and soda pop. An you might as well ban day games because someone might get skin cancer. And they probably should use a softer ball or maybe throw underhand cause someone might get hurt. And those bats are a real problem. Hey, maybe they should just ban baseball. :rolleyes:

cincinnati chili
10-22-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm also in favor of the ban. But you can't have guys going cold turkey during the World Series. Smacks of political grandstanding to me.

I agree that I'd like to see a total ban. I distinctly remember as a young kid that tobacco was alluring to me because baseball players had a big wad in their mouths. As an adult, it's totally disgusting. Those of you who work or live with people who dip (when you don't dip) can sympathize.

Randy, I agree that alcohol is much more dangerous. If the commish went back to "sparkling cider" and ginger ale celebrations, it wouldn't particularly bother me. However, many people (myself included) believe that drinking is okay on special occasions, either in moderation or if not in moderation under circumstances where you're not going to get behind a wheel or operate heavy machinery or have to supervise children.

By contrast, tobacco in baseball is so omnipresent it's almost as if MLB is promoting it. It's great pr for the tobacco companies.

RANDY IN INDY
10-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Some people cannot drink in moderation.

George Anderson
10-22-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't smoke but my wife smokes around my kids. I have no problem with it because my kids ages 8 and 5 are told grownups are allowed to smoke but kids are not. Case closed.

I cuss like a sailor many times around my kids and again I have no problem with it because they are told grownups are allowed to cuss but kids are not. Case closed.

Both my wife and I drink quite frequently around my kids and in fact a few times we have been quite tipsy around them. I have no problem with this because they are told grownups are allowed to drink and kids are not. Case closed.

If Joey Votto or Albert Pujols want to chew tobacco on TV I have no problem with my kids seeing this because they are told adults are allowed to chew tobacco and kids are not. Case closed.

The problem is anymore to many people don't want to raise their kids once they have them or they expect others to inconvenience their way of life such as smoking, drinking etc, to accommodate their desire to not have to put so much effort into raising kids. Instead of running around trying to get anything that they think might harm their child banned, lets instead do a little parenting and tell and make the kids not do these things.

Roy Tucker
10-23-2011, 01:06 PM
If I were king, I'd only allow the champagne/beer spraying thing when you win the World Series.

Seems like now, teams do it when they clinch a playoff spot, when they clinch a pennant, win a DS, and when they win the LCS. Or maybe someone's birthday. By the time they get to the WS, it's lost its specialness. Make it mean something. Before then, act like you've been there and just say "yay, we won", shake hands, and move on.

Get off my lawn.