PDA

View Full Version : I did something I swore I would never do

Reds4Life
10-23-2011, 06:53 PM
I joined the dark side, I bought an Apple product. I had a $500 AMEX gift card from work and bought an iPad2 today. Generally I dislike the cult like following Apple seems to enjoy, as well as the insane prices they charge for their products. I have to say though, this ipad is pretty sweet. The build quality is excellent (some of the other tablets felt like cheap pieces of junk) and everything on it runs smooth as silk. There is no lag at all, or even any harsh looking movements, everything is perfectly fluid and smooth. I had never used iTunes before, and it was pretty easy to sync (I have a PC) and get everything up and running.

I feel like such a traitor now. :eek:

cinreds21
10-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Never used iTunes? Come on bruh.

Reds4Life
10-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Never used iTunes? Come on bruh.

Nope, today was the first time. Told you I wasn't an apple fan. :D

Redszone looks pretty good on the iPad though.

cinreds21
10-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Nope, today was the first time. Told you I wasn't an apple fan. :D

Redszone looks pretty good on the iPad though.

Are you going to get an iPod or iPhone now?

Reds4Life
10-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Maybe an iPhone next year. I did look at a MacBook Pro, but yikes the price is a little steep.

Honestly, the only reason I purchased the iPad is due to the fact my employer paid for most of it with the gift card they gave me. It's pretty cool and I do like it, but I don't know if I would have paid $500 for it. The battery life is pretty damn sweet though, I have been playing around with it and surfing the web for 2 hours and it's still at 90%. That is pretty impressive.

westofyou
10-23-2011, 08:11 PM
I bought my first Apple product last week too... and I used to live down the street from Jobs for 10 years

Reds4Life
10-23-2011, 08:14 PM
I bought my first Apple product last week too... and I used to live down the street from Jobs for 10 years

What did you get?

cinreds21
10-23-2011, 08:21 PM
If you like the iPad, you'll love the iPhone. You do need to start putting music onto iTunes. Dunno how someone listens to music without iTunes.

reds1869
10-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the Dark Side. I once swore off Apple products, now I hate using anything else.

cinreds21
10-23-2011, 08:27 PM
I have a question. I really like Apple products. I'm not in the "cult" but I don't understand some people's pure hatred towards Apple products. Yeah they are more expensive, but if you're, for the most part, getting a better product, then why not just spend the money and get it? And why do people just hate on it?

Reds4Life
10-23-2011, 08:37 PM
I have a question. I really like Apple products. I'm not in the "cult" but I don't understand some people's pure hatred towards Apple products. Yeah they are more expensive, but if you're, for the most part, getting a better product, then why not just spend the money and get it? And why do people just hate on it?

Better product is pretty subjective. Personally, I think their notebook prices are ridiculous. They look nice and build quality is phenomenal, but the price tag is hard to justify when you can get a PC that can do the same thing for 30-40% less.

And, this is just ,my opinion, some of the Apple fans annoy me. They believe any product Apple makes is automatically better just because of the logo on it, which isn't always the case. Many come off as elitist and very arrogant.

bucksfan2
10-23-2011, 08:37 PM

For me I use the Apple proucts that fit my need at the time. I have owned two Ipods as well as numerous shuffles over the years. I work out quite a bit and run pretty often. The shuffle is by far the best device for that.

I got an ipad from work. It was a plesant surprise and I doubted the value to the ipad. I completely undersold it and am very very impressed with the ipad. When the wife and I bought a new laptop we went with a dell. We both were comfortable with the pc setup and felt the need to get a "bargain" over the "coolness" of the mac book.

cinreds21
10-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Better product is pretty subjective. Personally, I think their notebook prices are ridiculous. They look nice and build quality is phenomenal, but the price tag is hard to justify when you can get a PC that can do the same thing for 30-40% less.

And, this is just ,my opinion, some of the Apple fans annoy me. They believe any product Apple makes is automatically better just because of the logo on it, which isn't always the case. Many come off as elitist and very arrogant.

Do I annoy you? :(

/notserious

Also, people who say it's too difficult of a transition from PC to Mac kinda baffles me.

Caseyfan21
10-23-2011, 08:52 PM
I also got my first iPad last weekend and absolutely love it.

When mp3 players first came out, I went and got the Creative Zen player. It was a good product but ultimately broke after a couple years using it. At that point the Apple iPod's were really taking over and while I had a good experience with the Creative player I found it frustrating all the accessory makers were largely only making stuff for the iPods. So I caved and got an iPod. It was a great product. After that I switched to the iPhone a couple years ago and will probably never buy another phone that's not an iPhone for the forseeable future. The user interface on Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad is just phenominal.

However, I can't ever see myself buying an Apple laptop. I checked them out a few years ago when I got my current laptop and I just can't justify the price difference. I paid $1,200 for a Toshiba laptop that I have absolutely loved and have had no issues with it. At the time I priced out an Apple laptop with similar spec's and it was $1,200. A price difference of $800 wasn't worth it for the slightly higher quality Apple product.

Sea Ray
10-23-2011, 08:53 PM
I too joined the darkside because of a gift certificate. It was two yrs ago and I won an Apple giftcard and I got an iPod. I still feel like I haven't caught up to using it to its fullest

kaldaniels
10-23-2011, 08:58 PM
So all these people with an iPad, are they/you paying an extra 30-50 dollars a month for the data plan on one of them? How does that work out? To each his own, but I hear so many people casually mentioning their iPad (not on here but in my day to day business) I wonder how it is our economy is in the dumps if people have that much cash on hand to drop. No offense to anyone intended I swear.

Caseyfan21
10-23-2011, 09:07 PM
So all these people with an iPad, are they/you paying an extra 30-50 dollars a month for the data plan on one of them? How does that work out? To each his own, but I hear so many people casually mentioning their iPad (not on here but in my day to day business) I wonder how it is our economy is in the dumps if people have that much cash on hand to drop. No offense to anyone intended I swear.

I bought an AT&T enabled iPad because I think I will use anywhere access at some point. However, I have not activated it yet as my use has been mainly just at home on wifi. I thought it was worth it to pay a little more up front than regret not having it down the line. The data plans seem a little steep to me and I'm pretty sure I could easily surpass the 2 GB monthly limits if/when I start paying for one.

reds1869
10-23-2011, 09:11 PM

My dad is superintendent of a school district and uses the WiFi only version. He has taken it all over the country and has yet to be somewhere without easy WiFi access.

kaldaniels
10-23-2011, 09:16 PM
My dad is superintendent of a school district and uses the WiFi only version. He has taken it all over the country and has yet to be somewhere without easy WiFi access.

And that depends on the person I'm sure. I don't always have a moochable wi-fi source with my phone when I am out and about, thats for sure. Not that it matters much, but out of curiousity, are most iPadders wi-fi only, or are they subscribing to data plans. I get using one as a de facto laptop, no doubt.

Reds4Life
10-23-2011, 09:26 PM
And that depends on the person I'm sure. I don't always have a moochable wi-fi source with my phone when I am out and about, thats for sure. Not that it matters much, but out of curiousity, are most iPadders wi-fi only, or are they subscribing to data plans. I get using one as a de facto laptop, no doubt.

I got the wifi only version. My wireless bill is high enough, I wasnt about to add more to it.

I will probably use it mostly at home, or when I travel. Most hotels and such have wifi these days. Heck, even the hospital had free wifi when I was there for my mom the last couple months.

dougdirt
10-24-2011, 12:07 AM
If you like the iPad, you'll love the iPhone. You do need to start putting music onto iTunes. Dunno how someone listens to music without iTunes.

Never had an iPod or any apple product for that matter. I have used two MP3 players in my life before my phone (Android based). It is really easy. I have used plenty of iPod's and my phone's music player is every bit as good. I don't use iTunes, but I also don't buy music online either (or much in general to be honest, but when I do, its a CD as I like to have the physical copy).

westofyou
10-24-2011, 01:53 AM
What did you get?

iPhone but a few folks at work have the IPad and I like the size aspect

cinreds21
10-24-2011, 01:56 AM
iPhone but a few folks at work have the IPad and I like the size aspect

That's what she said.

Caveat Emperor
10-25-2011, 04:27 PM

It's $25 per month for 2GB of data, but it's no-contract pay-as-you-go. I just recently received an iPad 3G as a gift, and I'm not going to activate data until I have a need to.

So far I love the iPad. I've already downloaded 3 books from Project Gutenberg, watched 3 netflix movies, and used it to track Sunday's fantasy football scores as I watched my Buccaneers lay an egg against the Bears in London.

The iPad makes me wish I knew how to write software, because I can think of a dozen ways it could revolutionize what I do for a living.

RichRed
10-25-2011, 04:34 PM
My wife surprised me on my birthday with a first generation iPad on the cheap, just as the 2nd version was coming out, and I love it.

I didn't even know I wanted one until I got it, but I guess that's part of what makes Apple so good at what they do.

Reds4Life
10-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Really liking the iPad so far, much more than I thought I would, honestly. The battery life is phenomenal. Typing in landscape mode is pretty easy, I don't do as well in portrait mode though.

RedsManRick
10-25-2011, 08:07 PM
I joined the dark side, I bought an Apple product. I had a $500 AMEX gift card from work and bought an iPad2 today. Generally I dislike the cult like following Apple seems to enjoy, as well as the insane prices they charge for their products. I have to say though, this ipad is pretty sweet. The build quality is excellent (some of the other tablets felt like cheap pieces of junk) and everything on it runs smooth as silk. There is no lag at all, or even any harsh looking movements, everything is perfectly fluid and smooth. I had never used iTunes before, and it was pretty easy to sync (I have a PC) and get everything up and running.

I feel like such a traitor now. :eek:

I was that way for the longest time, hating on the cult of Apple and deriding Macs in general. But a few things have happened:

1) I realized that I did not actually want access under the hood; I just needed it because my computer/device broke down so often. Being able to edit my registry did not make my computer better. If I had to do that, something was already wrong.
2) I realized that I was actually getting a better machine; one that is not only very attractive but that simply works better and is designed for a top notch user experience
3) As other companies have tried to make more comparable products, their prices have approached Apple's. A Galaxy Tab will run you $350 or more. A Galaxy S phone will cost you $200 with a contract -- same as an iphone. A Droid Bionic will cost you $300. Yes, Apple does not have a cheapo line of low quality devices with less features. If that's what you're looking for, Apple shouldn't even be on your radar.

oneupper
10-25-2011, 09:53 PM
I too joined the darkside because of a gift certificate. It was two yrs ago and I won an Apple giftcard and I got an iPod. I still feel like I haven't caught up to using it to its fullest

That's funny to hear, because back in the '90s MacHeads like myself would refer to "Wintel" as the "darkside".
I'd get really strange looks when I told people my little company ran on Macs.
"Really? But what about compatibility?".

Times have changed.

pedro
10-25-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm a software developer and as such Macs aren't practical for the types of applications I develop. I really don't care for Mac's all that much. I think they're fine machines if your intent is only to use the apps that come with it or a few industry specific ones that do run on Mac's, but there are some things such as a lack of context menus and the use if the "Finder" that I just don't like.

TMBS, I do love my iPhone and iPod and would like to have an iPad if I could justify it..

Yachtzee
10-25-2011, 10:29 PM
My beef with Apple products, besides price, has always been their requirements that you use proprietary software and products laden with DRM. I don't know if they've changed their stance, but if I find an open source alternative that works better, I'd like to use it. And if I create something on my home computer for work, I want to be able to send it to my work computer with no problems. To date, I've only bought an iPod for my wife because she likes to download music from iTunes.

paintmered
10-25-2011, 10:36 PM
nm

bucksfan2
10-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Anyone else having trouble downloading the newest update for the iPad or Iphone? Every time I get it downloaded right before it finishes it says network connection failed and then starts all over. But when it starts all over the download takes hours to do.

Sea Ray
10-26-2011, 10:50 AM
I got the wifi only version. My wireless bill is high enough, I wasnt about to add more to it.

I will probably use it mostly at home, or when I travel. Most hotels and such have wifi these days. Heck, even the hospital had free wifi when I was there for my mom the last couple months.

That's the problem I have with getting a smart phone. These cell phone companies are now making it mandatory that you pickup the data plan if you have a smart phone, regardless if you bought the phone from them or not. That's BS

BuckeyeRed27
10-26-2011, 12:27 PM
That's the problem I have with getting a smart phone. These cell phone companies are now making it mandatory that you pickup the data plan if you have a smart phone, regardless if you bought the phone from them or not. That's BS

Well you are using the cell phones network to move that data. Smart phones are data hogs so it makes sense that it costs more. Most of the companies are having to change their data price structure to compensate for how much people use and they aren't unlimited anymore. I can't imagine not having access to some type of smart phone though so it's pretty worth it.

I just have a wifi only version of the iPad and I think as long as I have a smartphone I wouldn't use the 3G verision of it.

nmculbreth
10-27-2011, 02:15 AM
3) As other companies have tried to make more comparable products, their prices have approached Apple's. A Galaxy Tab will run you $350 or more. A Galaxy S phone will cost you $200 with a contract -- same as an iphone. A Droid Bionic will cost you $300. Yes, Apple does not have a cheapo line of low quality devices with less features. If that's what you're looking for, Apple shouldn't even be on your radar.

While I'm not an Apple fanatic, I think the pricing argument against Apple doesn't hold nearly as much water as it once did. I read an interesting article in the New York Times talking about how Apple has started to more aggressively price their products and in many cases were able to even undercut their competitors in some markets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/24/technology/apples-lower-prices-are-all-part-of-the-plan.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=apple&st=cse

Stray
10-27-2011, 03:10 AM
While I'm not an Apple fanatic, I think the pricing argument against Apple doesn't hold nearly as much water as it once did. I read an interesting article in the New York Times talking about how Apple has started to more aggressively price their products and in many cases were able to even undercut their competitors in some markets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/24/technology/apples-lower-prices-are-all-part-of-the-plan.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=apple&st=cse

It's not really fair to compare the 4S to a Bionic. One is a 4G capable phone and the other is not. If you look at Motorola's 3G phones with similar specs (Droid 3 and Droid X2) you'll find that they are both priced at $199. Both have the dual core processor like the 4S and both have the 8.0MP camera like the 4S. The difference being the 3 and X2 have been out for several months. They were out competing with the iPhone 4 which didn't have the dual core and had a 5.0MP camera.

I think Apple makes great products, I wouldn't argue against that. I also believe that they give you a lot of performance out of the hardware they're selling you. The price thing is still there though and still true.

Take a look at a Macbook Pro. For 2200 bucks you can get one with on board graphics, 750gb 5400rpm hdd, 4gb of ram, and an i7. Plug that hardware into a PC and you can upgrade to a discrete graphics card and still save 1 grand.

Caveat Emperor
10-27-2011, 12:23 PM

I find this part amusing:

Jean-Louis Gassée, a venture capitalist and former Apple executive, said there was a “collective gasp” at how low Apple priced the new MacBook Air.

If you know your Apple history, it was Gassée who -- in the early days following Jobs' initial departure from Apple -- was the executive who constantly pushed for Apple to sell exclusively in the high-price / high-profit margin arena with their computers. It wasn't until Gassée was ousted that the company even considered targeting mid-range priced machines.

mdccclxix
10-27-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't like Apple ever since I realized, after buying three albums on iTunes, that they will only play on iTunes. F that. Amazon gets my business now. I also don't get why iTunes is so indispensable. There are zillions of options out there. Most of them don't trap you inside their product line, either.

Netflix
Amazon
Windows Media Player

I'm set.

I would consider an iPad, but since competitors have caught up, I'd probably avoid Apple there too.

Caveat Emperor
10-27-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't like Apple ever since I realized, after buying three albums on iTunes, that they will only play on iTunes.

This statement isn't true. All music purchased on iTunes is DRM-free and encoded in AAC format -- which should be playable on just about any media player of your choice.

Brutus_the_Red
10-27-2011, 04:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/aXGf8.jpg

this.

Sea Ray
10-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Well you are using the cell phones network to move that data. Smart phones are data hogs so it makes sense that it costs more. Most of the companies are having to change their data price structure to compensate for how much people use and they aren't unlimited anymore. I can't imagine not having access to some type of smart phone though so it's pretty worth it.

I just have a wifi only version of the iPad and I think as long as I have a smartphone I wouldn't use the 3G verision of it.

Why can't I pay by the MB? I'd only use a smartphone for the wi-fi. Forget the data downloads

BuckeyeRed27
10-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Why can't I pay by the MB? I'd only use a smartphone for the wi-fi. Forget the data downloads

I'm not an expert on cell phone networks so if somebody is, please feel free to correct me. I believe that data package you pay for supports things like email and the internet on the phone as well as the aps you download and text messages and pictures and things like that.

I suppose you could pay for the MB, but economically that doesn't make much sense for the provider so that's why they don't do it. Same reason you don't pay per ride at Disneyland or King's Island.

Sea Ray
10-28-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm not an expert on cell phone networks so if somebody is, please feel free to correct me. I believe that data package you pay for supports things like email and the internet on the phone as well as the aps you download and text messages and pictures and things like that.

I suppose you could pay for the MB, but economically that doesn't make much sense for the provider so that's why they don't do it. Same reason you don't pay per ride at Disneyland or King's Island.

I'm probably less of an expert than you but what's the harm in my only using the phone for texts, calls and WiFi? If that's all I use it for then why do I need a data package? Does an iPhone eat up more data sending a text than a Motorola flip phone?

oneupper
10-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Same reason you don't pay per ride at Disneyland or King's Island.

OT. Thanks for reminding me how old I am. When I went to Disneyland it was pay by ride. You could buy these coupon books with letters A, B, C, D and E rides and each ride would take the corresponding one (Dumbo was A, I believe). If you were out of tickets, you'd buy more. So yeah...pay per ride.
Boy am I old.

carry on....

kpresidente
10-30-2011, 05:01 AM
I'm probably less of an expert than you but what's the harm in my only using the phone for texts, calls and WiFi? If that's all I use it for then why do I need a data package? Does an iPhone eat up more data sending a text than a Motorola flip phone?

I used to use a flip-phone and a 7" tablet. Sure, it's two devices, but the clamshell form factor is better for making calls and that tablet gives you a much better browsing experience (and you can fit the 7"ers in any cargo pant pocket).

All I paid was about $30 for my voice plan. You can text from the tablet with google voice.

OldRightHander
11-01-2011, 09:39 AM
OT. Thanks for reminding me how old I am. When I went to Disneyland it was pay by ride. You could buy these coupon books with letters A, B, C, D and E rides and each ride would take the corresponding one (Dumbo was A, I believe). If you were out of tickets, you'd buy more. So yeah...pay per ride.
Boy am I old.

carry on....

I think that's how it was the last time I was there as well.

OldRightHander
11-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Anyone else having trouble downloading the newest update for the iPad or Iphone? Every time I get it downloaded right before it finishes it says network connection failed and then starts all over. But when it starts all over the download takes hours to do.

I didn't have any trouble at all and the update is well worth it.

I'm an Apple person across the board, but before I got the iPad I didn't see how much I would use it, but since I have it, I have found numerous uses for it, to the point that all of our dispatchers are using them now. Just with the savings in ink and paper and being able to get rid of the fax line it's probably paid for itself already.